Speaker 1: You're listening to The Resident Builder podcast with Peter Wolfcamp from News Talk said by Squeaky Door or Squeaky Floor. Get the right advice from Peter Wolfcamp, the Resident Builder on news Talk Seat.
Speaker 2: By the house sizzle even when it's dark, even when the grass is overgrown in the yard, and even when the dog is too old to barn, and when you're sitting at the table trying not to start scissor hole, even when we move again, even.
Speaker 3: When you're therellone.
Speaker 2: House sizzle hol even when there's gone, even when you.
Speaker 1: Go around from the ones you love your mom.
Speaker 4: Scream those broken plans being in.
Speaker 2: Fundom locals Westball when they're gone and living them well.
Speaker 4: Very very good morning, and welcome along to the Resident Builder on Sunday here at news Talk c B with me Petele worlf Camp, the Resident Builder. So if you've got a question of a building nature, you are more than welcome to call right now. You can text as well, you can even email go through those details in a moment, but calls are always best. Welcome to the show, and I trust you've had a good week as we are writ and down the date, second of March already and I'm guessing that there's probably a bunch of people a little bit like me, going, oh, I thought I would have got that done by now. Maybe you know, now we're into March, that's the third month of the year. I better get cracking with those projects, and I better get cracking with them before inevitably spring or summer that turns to autumn, turned to winter, and then that becomes the oh, well, I can't do the job now it's almost winter time. I'm speaking from my own experience. I've got a couple of tasks that I know I'm pretty keen to get done before winter comes, and it's just too wet or too unpredictable in terms of weather. So you know, a little bit of pressure on to get those jobs out of the way. If you've got a project that is underway, a perhaps a project that is underway and is going spectacularly well, but you just want a few little finishing details, or you want to discuss a few little finishing details, we can do that. Perhaps you've got a project that's underway that isn't quite going the way that you hoped and thought it might go, and you want to talk about that. We can do that as well. Perhaps you've encountered some new materials or some new ideas. We can talk about that for sure. In fact, one of the actually it was a delightful trip. I was in Queenstown yesterday. So the Southern Lakes Home and Garden Show is on just at the events center right near the airport actually and started on Friday. I went down on said it's on again today and went down to meet with a number of the exhibitors and do a little bit of filming and but some pieces. And because I had plenty of time yesterday, actually I spent quite a bit of time with individual exhibitors talking about their products and just kind of tossing around ideas. And it's a for someone and I guess in my situation, it's a great opportunity to talk to other experts in their field. So whether that was off site manufacture, whether it was some issues around joinery, whether it was some issues around you know, types of insulation and insulation performance. I had breakfast with a building survey, so we were talking about the H one compliance that the submissions closed on Friday. So this was the big political story from last year. We talked about it just a fascinating sort of opportunity to go out and chat with people like I say, it's on again today. I was down yesterday, back up last night. So beautiful. You forget just how stunning that part of the world is. You can understand why tourists from all around the world flock there. It was stunning day yesterday. But the Home Garden Show on again today, right and before we rip into the calls, which we will do in just a moment, highlight of the week for me was attending the official opening of a house that had been refurbished by students at One Tree Hill College. If you watch TV one News, if you watch the Breakfast Show on Monday, you would have seen a bit of a feature on this. This was an initiative where a house that otherwise would have gone to landfill. It's an old ko house that's come from probably along ti you arch Our Drive where they're doing the busway in Auckland, from sort of what is it pucket Owner basically through to Botany and rather than those houses just being crushed on site or trucked away and disposed of, one of these three bedroom houses was shipped across to One Tree Hill College where the students were in association with some trade professionals and a whole bunch of very generous companies completely refurbished the house and it's now new kitchen, new bathroom, new lining, new insallation, everything, basically a new joinery. It's a fabulous, really straightforward simple house that's available for sale, so it's online, it's on trade. Me I'm pretty sure it'll be on one roof and that house is going to be auctioned. The money will go back into the program, and they've already booked a new house. So I went along to the opening, which was great bunch of people that I knew there. She Chris Penk the Minister was there as well, and I got talking to Charlotte McEwan, who is the teacher in charge of trade training at the college. And then we're chatting and I went, how would you feel about coming into the studio and having a bit of a chat. So she's going to join us after eight o'clock this morning. I'm really looking forward to that. It is a fantastic initiative. There are sort of variations of it across the country. It's not the first time I've heard of schools either building from scratch, but there is some particular features of this program which I think are really outstanding and hopefully we'll be picked up by other colleges. And having a chat with her on the Monday, apparently other schools were coming through to look at the program and see how it was run, how they structure it, with a hope maybe of introducing that to other secondary schools. And if you've ever sat down and talked to anyone about trade training, getting young people into the trades and just the challenges we face there, I think this is a fantastic initiative. So really looking forward to talking to Charlotte around eight o'clock, just after the o'clock news, she's going to come into the studio. Rity. Oh that's my introduction for the day. Oh we've got Bryce as well, our razine painting expert from seven thirty, So any specific painting questions you can text those through to nine two ninety two. If you'd like to email me, it's Pete at newsorksb dot co dot nz. And better of all of them, out of all of those things, if there's a hierarchy, let's get on the phone. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty My apologies too. You can probably hear my voices a little bit croquy, and there might be the occasional splutter on my part, you know, classic sort of cold at this time of year. Thankfully it is just a cold, so we'll box on through that. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty, let's rip into it. Great to hear from you, and great to be with you this second day of March twenty twenty five. Donnie, A very good morning. Hello Donnie.
Speaker 5: Hello, Iry. I thought you see Bee. I thought you see Ben. I thought that's definitely not me.
Speaker 4: No, that you Donnie. How are you?
Speaker 5: It's Donnie, lovely Pete, Thanks so much for taking my call. Listen, I have three quick questions for you, but they will be quick for you. Insulation Now, I have a nineteen twenty six bungalow and it's been well maintained. I obviously haven't been in it that long, but I've been in it now for about twenty years.
Speaker 4: In time's the national average. Typically we're movie every five years, don't we.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, not me obviously, but anyway, it's got insulation. I've had insulation put in the roof and it was the blowing in type variety. It was around twelve to fifteen years ago now, and it was the rock wall.
Speaker 6: Type.
Speaker 5: I won't say which company, but it was a rock fall type thing. Now, what I want to know is can I top that up with anything like another blow and product or does it have to be the same or.
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: In terms of compatibility, there's not really any issue, you know, if you had have said, look, it's really old insulation and it's been there for a long time and it's kind of settled down and you're a bit unsure about its provenance, let's say, then there are companies that will remove that and you can add new insulation or replace it with new insulation. But it's not an uncommon practice to upgrade your ceiling insulation by adding another layer. So yes you could. And do you know what the depth of the blowing insulation is?
Speaker 8: Rough?
Speaker 5: Gosh, If I had all the paperworkuse I would if I was better organized, I would have delved under the house and the work.
Speaker 4: Look, if it's a blowing system, and there will be inevitably and the different insulation performs differently, But it's not unfair to say that the blow and insulation will settle over time, right And as it does. It's effectiveness diminishous. We're only talking, you know, tiny percentages, but it does do that. So if you if someone went up there and found that, yes, there was blown insulation in there, and maybe it did settle so that it was almost at the height of the ceiling joists which run across the room, adding a layer above that and so effectively putting insulation at nine degrees to the direction of the ceiling choice will mean that you eliminate the thermal bridging. So there's a real advantage to that, right, Yes, okay, you can add something.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, that's perfect, and it doesn't need.
Speaker 4: To be so it doesn't have to be the same product, No it doesn't.
Speaker 5: Right, Okay, that's perfect, thank you. Question number two the deck and I'm trying to do it but each day. And I actually ran you a couple of years ago, which of course you won't remember. Give of course i'd be horrif cleaning it with a wire brush when we're not have been wet cleaning it with a wire brush, and okay, and blah blah blah. And someone one of your callers kindly rang in and said that woman councisus leave it with the cleaning it with the wire brush. He needs to use something afterwards, and he told me what the recipe was. Oh, okay, it involved bleach, and I didn't want to use bleach. I don't want to work with it and environmentally, I don't want to use it. So I googled and several different site said that box water and dish washing liquor for goods. So I've been using that and it's coming up well.
Speaker 4: And the decking that you're talking about is this tongue and groove decking with a painted surface on it.
Speaker 5: No, it's not painted. It's just a wooden deck, the boards on it, with the you know, the ridges on the unfortunately, so it's it's pretty black all over. And I get the funnel, you know, for sunning. It's north facing, so I get the sun all day, but it still goes black.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 5: But I've been doing a bit each day, but I want to put something on. I feel like I should put something on. It's all silver, but I feel that, you know, the boards are.
Speaker 4: Splitting and the sort of inevitable.
Speaker 5: There's so many products out there, and I don't want to paint it. I don't want to put a stain on it. I just want to put some sort of oil or something. So what should I use?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there are decking like there are specific decking oils that you could use. Certainly, I know in the razine range most of them will have a slight tint to them, so there's not really a clear but you could choose, you know, a brownish color or something like that that suits the timber. And one of the advantages I think to selling timber decks is that it just stops that It just inhibits that mold growth. It seals the surface a little bit and stops all of that mold growth going into the spores. Initially. Eventually they'll get in and all decks will require maintenance, but I think sealing it is a huge advantage.
Speaker 5: Now the decks going to need The one thing I didn't mention, it's the decks going to need to placing probably in the next yep three to five years, so it's still worth doing though I have no maintenance from the last twenty at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look it well, will it give you a couple of extra years, probably not, but it certainly will prevent the recurrence of recurrence rather of that mold growth.
Speaker 5: Right, and make it look better and less splinters.
Speaker 4: Well splinters are slightly but by sealing it you won't have the fivers, you know, deteriorating right, So yes, that will help with the splinters.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's wonderful, thy lovely to talk with you.
Speaker 9: Question.
Speaker 5: There's one more as a big one.
Speaker 4: Oh, go go the big one.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I probably want to run off and a break magice.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I'm all good.
Speaker 5: Number three French doors. Yes, now, I've got three lots of French doors along the well. I call it the front of the house, but it's actually technic to the back of the house. For about the last five years now they've started playing out. And is it the mortis joints down the bottom, yes, is starting to split apart. So for the last sorry, three winters in a row. Now when I if it's been raining for people days in a row, which of course we get that all the time. I can't open the doors. I can open them, I can open them with a lot of force, but I can't close them again, so which is obviously a real pain in the proverbial. So last year I had them. I get them painted. Every two or three years in the exterior, so they're in. The door itself is in good condition. The whole theater good good condition. Last year the painter's husband did a quick fix on the main doors and that's that has made a difference. But still in the winter there are days where I can't open them and I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Force them anymore.
Speaker 5: I rang one company and they said the only way to fix Actually no, sorry, I rang about three companies. Two weren't interested.
Speaker 4: One I should last you.
Speaker 5: You're not surprised.
Speaker 4: No, no, they are jobs to do. Yep.
Speaker 5: One said he was very interested, but the only way was to replace the whole door and they were going to cross three thousand each. Wow, that was going to be ten thousand, and that was two to three years ago.
Speaker 4: So what I play without seeing the doors? You know, look, probably in ninety percent of the cases, someone who's got some experience with joinery would be able to take the door off, maybe gap the joints a little bit, so you actually sort of force the tenin and mortis apart, square them back up again, fix them back together with a good quality exterior epoxy glue, put them back in. You might need to adjust the door and inevitably, maybe you'll end up taking a little bit off the bottom and there might be a slightly uneven gap at the top. But I think, and this time of year it's not a bad time to do it, so you know, it's nice and dry and all the rest of it. I think if you can find the right person, they be able to come through. Like I say, gap it all, reglue it, hang the doors again, adjust them, and you'll get years and years of use out of them. But it is quite true that over time, you know, the original glues will fail and the tenin and mortars will move, and then it becomes like a self perpetuating cycle, right because as it touches, then you pull the door closed, and so the bottom of the door rubs on the sill and that takes off the paint. And then by taking off the paint, you open up the fibers, and because it's in contact with the sill, more moisture gets into it and it accelerates the process. So maintaining a gap around your joinery, which prevents water from beating and being absorbed from one surface to the other, is actually really really critical. And then inevitably, you know, again this is what happens with old jowinery. You pull it closed and it binds at the bottom, so you pull it a bit harder, which means you're racking the door, and that then twists all of the the joints. That then puts pressure on them. It forces them a bit open. Because they've been forced open, they then move a little bit more, which means they drop a bit more. So look, it's it's like all of us perhaps as we get a little bit older, you know a bit of TRC and a little bit of maintenance. But I think if you can find the right person who's familiar with joinery, get them to come and reclamp the door, glue it, ease it, and you'll be fine. Lovely to talk to you, Donnie as always, and please.
Speaker 5: So much, don't believe it another couple.
Speaker 4: Of years, right, all of this, take care well, lovely Caul to get started. All the very best to you your news talk said b If you'd like to call eight hundred eighty ten eighty we can talk about your projects. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty will be back with Emma in just a.
Speaker 1: Moment, helping you get those DIY projects done. Right to the resident Filder with Peter Wolf Cats Call eight hundred eighty eighty youth Talk, said.
Speaker 4: I must give you a bit of an update to on a story that we started on right at the end of last year or last week's show, where I kind of made a quite off the cuff remark when we're talking about you know, projects, and specially if you've got labor only contractors working for you, right and if you're a client and you're looking at people are on their phone and so on. And the guy was very much of the opinion that you know, if you've got a bunch of chippy's working, you don't want to see them on their phone during the day, especially if you're paying them by the hour. You know, there's always a little bit of tolerance in there. But I've got a fantastic text from a guy who I suspect as a plumber who runs a number of tradees, and he said, look, you've got to remember our guys, or his guys in particular, using their phones. Essentially it's a tool, right, So if they've come to a job, they go out to the van, they grab a couple of crocsnuts and an elbow and they'll use their phone to record all of that's part of their accounting. They'll use the phone to note down the job and the address, and the hours spent at the job. They might be using the phone to look at plans to do health and safety, which is really important, those sorts of things. I thought, well, that's actually a very good text. I'll make sure that I didn't have time to read it out last week. I think it would be a fantastic topic. It's a little bit more talk backy than is suitable for this show, but man, you could have some fun with that topic in a talkback situation. I might save that up for the next time. I ended up finding myself doing an overnight, which I did a couple I haven't been invited back. I'll take that as read. It is twenty eight minutes after six. Welcome along to the show, Emma, thanks for waiting, and a very good morning to you.
Speaker 5: Good morning. I'm I'm just feeding a todd of the breakfast if.
Speaker 10: There's any background multitasking. But I have a.
Speaker 9: Question about stealing tile, like slate tiles. So we bought a nineteen eighties house about eighteen months ago, and when we bought it, we thought the tiles looked a bit tired, and we wanted to put a steeler on, and we did a bit of research and bought a Aquamex penetrating sealer from tile Max. But within about three to six months we've found that they'd started to flake and then flaked in pieces from the side of a ten cent coin right up to like the diameter of a can of baked beans, so quite large.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 5: And then in the garden.
Speaker 9: Shed I found an old can of watt or estipole or something like that, and it looks like maybe.
Speaker 5: We used a different product.
Speaker 9: And now I just don't know what to do because it's flaking off and flakes off so much more in summer because it sticks to your feet like the heat of your foot or something. And the flake tiles are going all through the house.
Speaker 5: So what do I do now?
Speaker 4: Okay? So just I think I'm stunning at a picture of sort of classic nineteen eighties, right, and I was building back then. So these are tiles laid laid down on the exterior of the house or interior.
Speaker 5: No in the kitchen and the yep.
Speaker 4: Okay. And then obviously because if you leave them untreated, the you know, you'll it's really hard to keep them clean and that sort of thing. So over the years, someone's probably put a seala on them. Esterpol from my recollection is more like a polyurethane, and that that wouldn't have been suitable at all. And if you've then added a seala over the top of the polyurethane, you will get delamination between the two surfaces. That the challenge then that the challenge is pretty much around how do you strip the whatever coatings have been there, and what type of seala would you apply? And it's the stripping process that's going to be really difficult.
Speaker 6: Oh no, and literally.
Speaker 4: Look to be fair, I probably would head down that path only because it's probably going to involve some solvents and bits and pieces. And also if you're going to be using solvents and then water to rin so how do you clean that off? So you need someone with wet and dry extraction and all of those sorts of things. I tell you what. Years and years ago, we had a similar situation where a client wanted to use terra cotta tiles through the downstairs dining and kitchen area and they were insistent that they just leave them unsealed, right, they'll just be natural. Well, of course, within about a year they were black right, and it looked terrible. And so as I recall, I think I actually used graffiti Guard, the company that you see around, and they came in and striped the coatings off and then applied a sealer over the top of it. The other option is to go to one of the large tile shops, someone like tile Space for example, and see whether they might have people. The other company that I've used to refurbish tiles has been grout Pro. So they came in and, you know, meticulously cleaned the surface, so literally a miniature water blaster and a vacuum cleaner water blasted the tiles and vacuumed up at the same time, cleaned it thoroughly, then re epoxied all of the mortar joints and so on. So graffiti Guard might be an option. Try one of the tile shops, or try grout Pro right.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, because it's in its interior in the.
Speaker 9: Kitchen area, so exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, well it is. This was like a tiny little high pressure jet, but what they were able to do is use that and have wet and dry extraction at the same time, so you know, it's a process that they do often and they're used to doing it. So I think it'll be a case of maybe applying a stripper of some description, then removing that, thoroughly cleaning the area, and then reapplying. And I would say that the sealers, and I'm not sure about specific slate sealers, but there will be some that will perhaps rather than adhering to the surface, will just penetrate in and then seal the surf, and then that then becomes a maintenance thing. You use a particular type of cleaner and every year you reapply a sealer over the top. But that'll be a permanent solution.
Speaker 5: Okay, thank you very much for all the.
Speaker 4: Best, Take care, you have a great day. All the best. Then, oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Quick text A peaked two weeks ago. We inquired about unplastered joints and screw holes and a garage ceiling firewall. The vendors have done some of the plastering, but did not plaster behind the timber frames because the ceiling space is difficult to access. How can the plastering be done to meet council requirements given the difficulty of reaching some parts of the joints. The fact that it's difficult is nobody's problem apart from the person who didn't do it right in the first place. So if the vendors have got and fire ratings particularly important right, you know there will even if it's difficult, there'll still be a solution. And I what do I see The other day? It was more in an apartment situation, so residential, multi story building, where during regular maintenance work they'd found that some of the penetrations or the fire the penetrations through firewalls, let's say, from a corridor into the apartment above the ceiling level, were not particularly well detailed, and there's very specific details around the size of the penetration, the type of cable that's going through it. You can either use fire collars or certain types of sealent, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. What they did because it was obviously a bit of a hodgepodge, and no one was sure about how well the stopping was done, and all the rest of it is applied in intermedcent coating over the entire surface, so all of the exposed fire line jib and our presume its fireline right through this area was simply coated in an intermedcent ceiler, which apparently was quite cost effective and relatively quick to do. So I'm guessing in this situation, it might be that there's some timber over the top of the fire rated I mean timber itself has a char rating, so it has a burn time, which means maybe you don't need to But perhaps what you need to do is get someone to get a fire engineer to assess it, get them to give you a description of the work that needs to be done, and then follow those instructions. And it might just be you may not need to do anything, or you may just need to cote that exposed timber. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. It does get quite quick technical, quite quickly. Old cold villa hello with old thin glass, and we're talking glass that might be like, you know, three millimeters thick. We're changing to a high spec laminate glass. Get us closer to double glazing. Cassette speck that are expensive on double hung sash windows. You can find all the numbers online, right, so all of the statistics for the thermal performance of glazing will be online, whether it's independently or whether it's with a company that you might be interested in. Laminate will not give you the same therm will performance as double glazing. It just doesn't work that way. It will give you some benefit. It will also give you benefit in terms of acoustics and so on, but it won't be the same, but it will be an improvement in the same way. That's saying. Look, if you took out your old two and a half three mil glass and replace it with four mill float, that will be better because it's thicker. But having two layers of glass with a layer in between won't give you the same benefits as double glazing. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number four. We'll take a short break. We'll talk to Kathy in just a moment.
Speaker 1: God once, but maybe call Pete first for your aff the resident builder news dogs.
Speaker 4: They'd be in like a robber's dog. I am right here, Kathy, good morning, Thanks.
Speaker 10: I have a grander that has Douglas fir rafters. Yes, the one rafters facing shouts, you know, the outside one and the other one spacing north and the north one is fine, but the south one has got some sort of dozy bits along the along the length of it. Now, someone said to me, oh, you can scoop out the dozy bits and fill up with bog because there's strength still in the douglasphere, because it's sort of got the weak bits of wood and the.
Speaker 6: Strong bits of wood.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's there.
Speaker 6: There is.
Speaker 4: I suppose what it is is a in a piece of timber protect in a structural piece of timber. There's always a redundancy, right, so you could take out it. But it then becomes a question of the extent of it. So you know, if let's say, what's happened, and I can imagine that perhaps a little bit of water has got into the top of the douglasphere. Has it got roofing over it? Or is it just a purglar that's open, doesn't have roofing on it.
Speaker 10: No, it's got it clear line, and it's got over it as well.
Speaker 6: But somehow water's got in.
Speaker 4: Inevitably, sometimes with these things that you know, with movement and so on, there'll be water that gets around the fixings, finds its way down through where the fixing penetrates the roofing and into the timber itself. And then because one of the beauties of Douglas Fair is typically you don't need to treat it. But if it does get wet and it stays wet, it will start to decay. And so that's that's what's happening. If you were to get up on a step ladder safely and sort of push against the rafter, do you get any movement?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 10: No, the raft seems to be quite fair.
Speaker 4: And you know the extent of the rot would it be one fifth of the depth of the rafter? Would it be half of the rafter? That sort of thing.
Speaker 10: There's one place where the light was, yeah, because there was an outside light through that. It's all the way through and there. Yeah. So it's like there's a hole, a bigger hole than just a drilling hole through that spot.
Speaker 4: Right. What's the width of the rafters.
Speaker 10: Oh, they're quite big. Yeah, so they are like about I don't know, would they be two inches or two inches?
Speaker 4: Okay, but I mean if you've got two yeah, so six or eight for two in the old language. Right, But if you've got a bit of decay that goes from the top of the rafters to the bottom through a two inch piece. You'd be getting pretty close to that being unsound. Now, given that nobody hopefully nobody has to walk on the roof, and that there are adjoining rafters, you know, the danger in terms of it collapsing are fairly small. Look, if you were to repair it, there's a couple of things. One is you remove as much of the loose material as you possibly can. I wouldn't be too aggressive with it, but you could just with a sharp knife or a chisel or something like that remove the loose parts. I would probably apply some timber treatment that will prevent the or slow down the decay spreading through the timber, and then rather than using something like builder's bog, which has little strength to it. I mean, it's a good product in the right application. In this application, I'd probably use something like repair Care, which is a product you can buy at the Razine color shops. It's a two part Essentially, it's an epoxy that is both a filler and an adhesive, so it will it will hold better. Now, depending on this the amount that you need to use, I mean, could you just take that rafter out and replace it? We're starting That sounds like a big job.
Speaker 10: Doesn't it That sounds okay?
Speaker 4: Look, I think if you were to repair it, I would scrape out any loose material, try and get someone to do it a bit of a timber preservative like ProTem or framesaver, or there's even products called timber hardeners which are specifically for repairing areas of decay, and then I use the repair care as Do I.
Speaker 10: Get those from somewhere like Bunnings.
Speaker 4: Or repair Care I'm pretty sure is only at at the Razine color shops, So that's where I buy it from, you know, frame savers and timber preservators, and that you'll get at any of the large hardware stores.
Speaker 10: Okay, okay, So then so then should I go and make sure I put some silicon and screw down on those, you know, for the fleshings and the clear life.
Speaker 4: What you might find is that either the hole through the roofing has enlarged right so with a bit of movement, or perhaps the little near prene washer on the underside has decayed, or you know, it might have been overtightened and then it's split and come away. So yes, if you can identify where that moisture might be getting in and you replace those fixings. That'd be a great idea to cool now.
Speaker 10: Someone's also suggested, sorry, you be.
Speaker 4: Super careful walking around on top of or working on top of the clear light.
Speaker 11: He yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, no, I won't get up on. Someone else suggested, I've just had my house three roofs. I didn't do redo the clear light because it's not in too bad condition, but I've got an extra piece of fleshing left over, and they suggested putting fleshing over the whole of the raft that outside rafter. Would that be booth one or do you think?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Potentially, like if it's a ClearLight roofing and it just runs to the end of the pergola and then stops, there's nothing to stop water tracking back in. So effectively, if you had like an L shaped flashing that went over there so that it directed any water that falls on top of the clear light orgated clear light runs to the end and drops into the spouting. And also anything that gets blown in from the side doesn't get a chance to get blown in because the opron of the barge fleshing is there. So yes, a fleshing at either end will make a difference.
Speaker 10: As well, So there is a fleshing already over the side, but it only comes down like a couple of mil you know, it just comes from the top of the clear like down over the Douglas sphere. This was putting a full fleshing in.
Speaker 4: That would help. But to be fair, anything more than fifty millimeters used to be the code. Now it's seventy five. So if you've got seventy five milk cover from the top of the raft down that will certainly stop any moisture coming through.
Speaker 10: Okay, okay, all of the best, Thank you so much, take.
Speaker 4: Care all of us. Kathy bother then and John, quick question from you, how are you sir?
Speaker 8: I'm good. You know when you've got insulation brown into the ceiling space yep. And if you recommend topping it up.
Speaker 4: Again yes in situations.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Well if you cover those those timbers up where you walk to the ceiling, how do you know where? How do you know? Then you know where the where they where? These uh timbers are again that you usually either walk on or if it's if it's a high ceilings. Basically you've got to call on hands and knees. Now, if you blame mind on top of that, or you lay more insulation on top of that, or where identify the walk.
Speaker 4: It's the price you pay for progress.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but that's that's not answering it. I mean, you're going to be really don't you do?
Speaker 4: But but you don't get So what you're saying is what you're saying, John, And I understand where you're coming from, right, I've been in enough ceilings to go, hey, look, it's much easier if you're clambering around inside an old bungalow or a villa or something like that, and you can see the ceiling joisting and step from one to the other. But just for the occasional time that you might need to go into the ceiling, not having decent insulation there doesn't make any logical sense to me, right, So the better thing to do is to have lots of insulation and then to be a lot more cautious when you're walking around in there. The other thing too, and you'll know this because your obvious experience is that typically the ceiling joist will be in line with the rafter, right, So if as you're walking through you can see where the rafter goes down to the top plate, you know that either directly underneath it or to the left and the right, so we're only talking fifty mil either way. That's where the ceiling raft is going to be, so you will be able to find out where they are. But to me, like wanting to keep some sort of access in the roof is not a good enough reason not to do better insulation.
Speaker 8: Well, wouldn't you reader be to sucking up the old and then refit new insulation? Not all? See, because you know very well for people that know where to walk, there's too many people with climbin and roofs that they know where.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then don't let them up there. And then you know, if you don't know what you're doing, don't go there. But insulation's good. Insulation that gets rid of thermal bridging is better. I'm not going to compromise on insulation just for the sake of someone who doesn't know what they're doing. That's my opinion. I appreciate the call, buddy, all the best. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty ten minutes away from seven back in a mow.
Speaker 1: Doing of the house sorting the guard and asked Pete for a hand. The resident builder with Peter wolfcap call oh eight hundred used dogs'd be interesting.
Speaker 4: Text as well. It's come through. Hi there, I've got a twenty year old concrete tile roof that's been sprayed for moss removal. Worked very well, the pointing and the tiles are in good condition. Now the company recommends a silicon spray to seal the tiles and then repeat the silicon every second year. Is the silicon a good idea? I was advised it's quite caustic to galvanized gutters, thank you very much from Shane. So I had a quick little google of that in terms of the impact of silicon on galvanizing, and there is the potential for it to, in what I'm reading, speed up the process of corrosion. And I'm thinking, hang on, like, anytime you do galvanized spouting and that sort of thing, if you're joining it and doing flashings, you put a bait of silicon through the join. I don't know whether it's of such significance that it would really impact on the overall lifespan of the galvanized gutters. You could always ensure that when they do the silicon spray that perhaps they mask the gutters off so that they're not filling them up with silicon spray, and certainly ceiling the roof tiles is a good idea to prevent build up. Whether or not you need to do it every two years, I'm not so sure to be fair, but go on you for looking after the roof. It's really important. Kathy, Good morning, Good morning morning.
Speaker 7: Indeed, I have just got a quick quin. You actually mentioned this. It's about sense paint versus staining better, actually mention this probably a few weeks ago, and I just caught the tail end of it. What is the best thing the sense painte versus staining? And I think, right, I better ask one of the experts, which is you? So please can I have your opinion?
Speaker 4: Well, there seems to be a difference of opinion. No surprises there. So if my attitude had kind of been if it's you know, new timber, or it's older timber that's never been painted or sealed, it's never had any application over it, then I would often say, well, why wouldn't you just use a stain because it's easier to maintain over time, it's probably a little bit easier to apply in the sense that it's you know, you're just using that product, and maybe two coats to get decent coverage.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Then I was talking to of all people, Bryce McDermott, who's going to join us in about thirty five minutes, and he was like, oh, no, I'd paint it because it gives more of a coating and it will not necessarily last longer, but it will. It will build up. It will give you more protection over time because you've got a painted surface. And look, to be fair, I'm looking at a project that I did, so old fencing, right, like forty year old fencing had that red stain that we used to have years and years ago that had all worn away almost and I got my guys to just spray it with paint, right and I and that's probably seven or eight years ago. I was back there the other day looking at it. The paint's actually still in really good condition. So I'm going to hedge my bets and say, actually, either of them will work. It might just come down to personal preference, but it seems like the painting is at least as durable and long live as the staining is, so there's there's not a lot between the two, seemingly, so sorry to be sitting on the fence pardon the pun, but that that's kind of where we land with that one, right HEO. We're back after news, sport and weather, and our painting expert is coming along. So text through your painting questions here at News Talk SEDB back after the.
Speaker 1: News, whether you're painting the ceiling, fixing the fence, or wondering how to fix that hole in the wall. Give the Peter wolf Gafa call on the resident builder on News Talks ed B.
Speaker 4: Yeah, News Talks. He'd be very good morning, welcome back to the show. It is just coming up six and a half minutes after seven. At around seven point thirty this morning, we will have our painting expert, which is Bryce McDermott from Razine Color Shops. He's going to be available, so starting to get some good look to be fair trickier the better in terms of the painting questions, right, So, so don't hold back. If you've got a terrible job, or an incredibly tricky job, or you're completely lost, then send us a text. Well we'll see if we can sort that. So Bryce will be joining us at around seven thirty and after eight o'clock, which is about an hour bit away in the studio. Actually which would be great is Charlotte McEwan from One Tree Hill College. If you happen to see it was on the One News on Monday evening. It was on the Breakfast Show on Monday. The reporter came out to One Tree Hill College and had a look around a completely refurbished three bedroom home which had been salvaged effectively from the Eastern Busway project, which is in Auckland. There's a big infrastructure infrastructure, big public transport project to extend the busway from pukerong A town center through to Botany and that meant taking away quite a number of houses. It would have been in the fifty sixty houses removed, and some of those houses, instead of just being demolished or taken away as is, one of them was picked up taken through to One Tree Hill College and then the students in conjunction with some license building practitioners and the tremendous support of a number of companies. That was actually really impressive to see the number of local businesses that stepped up, whether it was supplying insulation or Green Gorilla providing bins. I saw Steeple Ultron had put in a heat pump hot water system, there was new roofing, there was new joinery, there was carpet, there was tiles, there was paint, et cetera, et cetera, all seemingly donated by local businesses, which is fantastic. And then the students, over the course of less than a year, refurbished the house and the house is now available for sale. It's online through the local barf and Thompson Agency. I'm sure it's on trade me as well, and you can buy it. It's completely done to a very high standard and you could literally truck it off, drop it down on your place and move in. It's fantastic and that's cool in itself, But for me, what really struck me, and I think most of the people who were at the opening on Monday, was the impact it's had on the students themselves. So in terms of an introduction to trade training, I spent a little bit of time talking to a young fellow who'd been involved in the demolition and the insulation, and it's an insight into the trades to some degrees. The challenge with the trades now in terms of getting young people into it is they may not get the experience right, so you know, growing up like I grew up, Dad had a business. I worked in the factory as a kid, I worked for local builders, that sort of thing. There was the opportunity to have that exposure to what the trades were about, in the variety of trades. So for some of the young people that I spoke with, what seemed to be quite insightful for them was the opportunity maybe to work alongside the tyler or the stopper, or the painter, or the window installer or the kitchen installer. And that's what this program does for those students. So Charlotte from One Tree Hill College is going to come in and we're going to have a chat shortly and just after eight o'clock about that. Really looking forward to that, which also means, folks that you've got basically from now three to eight o'clock to ask you DIY question, So get into it. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number. I just want to deal with this one too. The text that's come through from Malcolm Pete. I'm wanting to attach a folding clothes line to the wall of our house. It is a fiber cement presumably fix on batons I'm trying to find the studs behind the sheeting to affix a horizontal board and then attach the clothesline. The stud finder doesn't seem to work on the substrate. Tapping and checking with a small drill hasn't helped, presumably because the batons mean I don't hasn't helped, presumably because the batons mean I don't need to use a long drill to hit the stud which I'm reluctant to do by then putting lots of holes in the wall. So suggestions, please, Look, Malcolm, I think you've identified something that's a genuine issue worth this type of construction. Well, this type of cladding, right is, if you're going to do a penetration through it later on, how do you ensure that that doesn't contribute to leaking and potential decay to the building over time? And if it's a folding clothes line, so it's it's probably two brackets separated by about one and a half meters, typically fixed in but of course you can't change the spacing of those brackets. It's fixed by the type of folding clothes line you've got. So your idea is to fix a board to the wall and then fix the brackets of the folding clothes line where you can then adjust that and fix them on there. I look to be fair, My preference would be find another alternative, like do a different type of clothes line to a pullout line. Ideally do one that doesn't actually have to be fixed to the house at all. If you do, if this is your only alter the challenge with putting a board against the house, as you're effectively creating a dam, so water is going to get trapped between the exterior cladding and the back of the board. It'll sit there, It'll potentially find its way through the fixings that you've put in and migrate. Moisture will migrate along those fixings and into the building fabric. Not a good thing. So if you were going to do that, you'd want to make sure that there's a drainage gap between the exterior cladding and the back of the board, So maybe use something like a six B two and eight but two. Make sure that you've got an EDPM washer there so that there's the EDPM washer sells the penetration and the fact that it's packed off the wall allows for drainage and ventilation in order to find the studs work from the inside out. So go inside, use your stud meter on the inside, have a reference point like a window measure along from the window, find the studs, transfer that measurement to the outside. You should be okay. But again, if at all possible, I would avoid putting penetrations after the build into into that type of clouding would be my recommendation. I eight hundred eighty ten eighty. I know that was a really lengthy dissertation on these types of cloudings, but the number of times that either I've been and other professionals who work in the space have been to houses where people have have fixed, you know, washing lines et cetera, et cetera through the cladding without detailing it well, and then there's basically you're creating leaks right drilling holes in your cladding not sealing it properly, and it's going to leak. So don't do that. I eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call Ellen. Very good morning to you.
Speaker 8: Good morning crazy to me.
Speaker 4: They're not pad Actually talk to me about scaffle planks. I quite like scaffole planks.
Speaker 6: Go for it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I bought two new scaffold planks right, laminade apply, they got to all restriction general there, all of gaff on the side of them, yep, And they are so smooth.
Speaker 13: I just don't like standing on them.
Speaker 8: I always stand on a rough so on yeah, yeah, twelve or two. Yeah, Well, I'm.
Speaker 4: Kind of chuckling because I was doing a job last week where I had to set up just very low scaffolding right, you know, on top of sawhorses and the second runing of the ladder, just to work on facier and saft and spouting. And I've got a bunch of laminated scaffold planks as well, but mine are of such a vintage that they might have been smooth once, but they certainly aren't anymore. So I get that sort of slip resistance type thing. Look, if you left them out in the sun for about a week, they'd probably change complexion.
Speaker 13: Yeah yeah, what about the rain?
Speaker 4: Look, you know, like I store mine under the house. I like to keep them out of the rain and keep them dry. But inevitably, when I do use them, if it's going to rain, well they're going to get wet, right, and and so they will weather and age with that.
Speaker 13: I mean, look.
Speaker 4: I probably wouldn't I think that. I've never I hear what you're saying about that, But surely it would only be an actual concern if you've if you've got them, they're brand new, and it rains and then you're you're on them straight away after its rain. If they're dry, I don't think they'd have much. They wouldn't be that slippery if they're just dry, are they They're very smart, they're very smooth, but that shouldn't necessarily make them slippery. I mean, it's still timber, right, There's there's still it's still fibrous. There's still little undulations in the in the timber and that sort of thing. If you're wearing decent quality Funny, I was having a long term talk with a nurse at the accident and emergency the other day. That's a whole other story about people working and crocs. So you know, as long as you're not wearing old jandles or crops or something like that, you've got a pair of decent shoes on or decent boots and you're not working in the rain. Yeah, I don't know whether i'd paint them. Saying that when I packed mine away the other day, I painted the ends just like fifty mil I just I've finished painting. I had some paint left in the pot and that sort of thing, and I quickly whipped around the ends. That's more as a visual queue to go. That's the end of the board right, already painted. Ah okay, oh, that's brilliant. I hear what you're saying. I just think that I look to be fair. I would have thought that painting it, and if you paint it and you don't put any sort of grit in it, it will be even slipperer than just the timber. Yeah right, yeah, but hey, look, I hear what you're saying, and I'm not dismissive of it, but I'd just be a little bit cautious about painting them, and then you might that they're more slippery.
Speaker 8: I usually wear crops.
Speaker 4: It looked just between you and I. I was sitting there and they're going through a medical record and then she goes, oh, I, hey two thousand and seeveneen or something. You came in because you again wearing crocs, old ones. They were quite slippery. And I went outside on the wet front stairs, slipped over and crashed down onto the stairs right and had to go and have someone look at my back afterwards and that sort of thing. And so while she's fixing mother buts and pieces, she's like, oh, I see that you wear crocs when you're working outside. And I'm like, jee because it's in my medical records. Now, I don't to be fair. I try. Look, I still wear crocs, but I don't wear them when I'm working anymore. Brilliant, all right, but you look after yourself, all right. Yeah, you'll be good. Yeah, put some boots that stay away from the rain. You'll be fine. All of this you allen? Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is that number to call? Quick text as well? Pete, I've got a quick question. Indeed, who do I call to fix a broken locking lever on an aluminium bifold joinery from Lee? Look, there's a number of sort of aluminium joinery repair companies out there. It seems that the one with the widest reach is probably Exceed. You'll find them online and it'll be fine. Some bill has just text for old meat needs to keep his planks level. Yeah, I mean most of us do, don't we. I mean there's always a little bit of undulation. I had sort of like three planks in a row set up sort of you know, sawhorse, sawhorse, a frame and then planks in between, so I could move along the entire sort of six meter length of the side of the garage to do nog it out, extend the rafters, put in some nogging for the safit, hang the facial board, put the safita in, do all the painting, hang the spouting. Having good access is just so critical, like having a decent, stable, safe platform to work on. And I'm talking, you know, six hundred off the ground or something like that, right, so we're not way up in the air or anything like that, but safe, practical and well set up high taccess is absolutely critical. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to cour And another quick text as well, Hey Pete, you mentioned earbuds or something about hearing protection ear bloods. Tell you what Tomorrow I'm doing an interview and we'll play that perhaps next Sunday on the show with an associate professor of audiology to talk about the efficacy of noise canceling earbuds in terms of hearing protection. It's been a little bit of a bugbear of mine I'm not convinced that you're getting the protection you need in a high noise environment like a construction site or while using power tools. I'll be really honest, I don't think that. I can't see how the noise canceling headphones prevent that initial impact of noise on your hearing. So I've never used them. I'm but old fashioned. I just go for hearing protection as an ear mus I've got some that have, you know, bluetooth and speakers in them, which I keep at a low level. I don't need to be blasting music into my ears while I'm working, but it is a nice distraction. I can listen to the radio, I can listen to podcasts, I can listen to music while I'm working away. But my preference has always been for that. So anyway, we're going to get some proper advice from an associate professor of audiology on that particular issue next week on the show, So looking forward to that. Twenty minutes twenty and a half after seven, we'll take a short break. We'll talk to Eric in a moment. If you'd like to join us, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call, and if you've got any painting questions for Bryce, our painting expert from Razine. He'll be available from about seven thirty this morning, so text them through as well. Like I say, the trickier the better for Bryce, we need to keep challenging him. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Squeaky door or squeaky floor.
Speaker 1: Get the right advice from Peter wolfcaf the resident builder on NEWSTALKSB.
Speaker 4: I love this text from Steve. This is a pearler. You said your old fashioned. Doesn't that mean you don't use any hearing protection? Haha, very droll, very funny, Thank you, Steve. No, look, to be fair, it's actually a bit personal for me in the sense that my dad had a metal work business. We made chairs and boat anchors, metal ones, the Coeny boat anchors if you remember those back in the day, and that sort of mid century metal furniture that got the cane weaving around it. So that was that was our business, our family business, and so Dad would be in the factory five six, seven days a week, you know, straightening steel, banging things, cutting stuff and all the rest of it. Really did I see, and we're hearing protection. And you know, we're talking shivers late sixties, seventies through to the mid eighties before we retired, and so the ear muffs were there, but they were hanging on the wall right And later in life is hearing declined and it became harder and harder to watch the TV without having it on sound setting seventy and to be really honest, you know, disengaged and not able to be part of conversations. The hearing losses has a real impact right on people's lives going forward, and I think that stuck with me and so ever since I started building, I've tried to be as diligent as I can be around protecting my hearing. You you know, you get one chance at looking after them, and that's why I get, you know, have such a concern around young people on sites, you know, maybe using and potentially there's some benefit to them, I'm just not convinced about their efficacy. Tracking down the associate professor of Audeology from Worklala Medical School, who I'm going to interview tomorrow, which would be great, and we'll have that interview for you next week. Remember Bryce's along shortly, so if you've got any painting questions, flick them through, and then we'll carry on with the building talkback through to eight o'clock, and then after eight o'clock, Charlotte mchow And, who is teacher in charge of trades, isn't that a fantastic title at one Tree Hill College, is going to join me. She's actually coming into the studio. We talk about the project and talk about the impact on young people in terms of the opportunity to engage with the trades, see what's available, and maybe start their journey into the trades from school, which I think is a fantastic idea. Eric, good morning, Good morning, Peter, how are you?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Good good?
Speaker 13: I let my LBP laps when I retired, so I'm not quite up with a play. Sure, some friends of ours wander at wooden joinery out of a weather board house and replace it with aluminum joinery. Would that require a hermits? Because there's nothing structural involved, but there'd be head flashings involved, So would that require a permit?
Speaker 4: Great question? I would incline to saying no, it wouldn't so as so, typically within Schedule one of the Building Act, it describes work that can be done, particularly maintenance work without necessarily requiring a consent. So, for example, they removed a A are they looking? Because there's a couple of ways of doing this. One is to if it's let's say, you know, nineteen fifties nineteen sixties joinery, you either pull the entire frame out and replace it, or in some cases, you leave the frame in, which means leaving the sill and the head flashing in, remove all of the sashes and either fixed sashes or opening sashes and a mullion and inserting a replacement joinery component into that opening.
Speaker 13: Do you know they want to pull it out because the storms.
Speaker 14: Have gone Yeah, okay, yep, I still your BP. Still I think there's an advantage to having the work done by an LBP, and if they're not changing the width of any of the openings. So if they were to say, oh that, you know, meet a wide window, while we've got the chance, we're going to knock out a bit of framing and extend it to one point two meters, that would trigger a requirement for a building consent. But I think replacing the joinery effectively from timber to aluminium wouldn't require a building consent. I do suggest that they have someone detail the type of work that they've done and how they've sorted out flashings and so on. But no, I don't think they need a building consent for that.
Speaker 13: Okay, cool? And one quick question when you have painting gouy on. I have a carboard with a chillder in it where I process sheep and deer and some pieces, and I've been doing it in the same car for four years now. And I want to paint a floor. What what would I treat the concrete with? Because obviously there's blood. What would I what would the concrete with burst because I want to paint it with whether I think it's soul power or would like a concrete under paint.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, I would probably use like an exterior house wash would probably do it right because it's designed to get rid of moss and mold and those sorts of things. So look, I'll talk to Bryce about it, but I think a proprietary house wash would be enough. You could always use like spirait assaults, you know in the old language, if you wanted to do it over the concrete and then a sealer and then a top coat. There's also you know, I'm doing a project with us in a couple of weeks time a new one from Razine Construction Systems which is a micro cement, so you could do like a thin render over the entire surface. Still want to do the preparation, but if you just want to paint it, I think proprietary house wash product and then straight over with your top coats. But stay listening and I'll ask Bryce quickly as well.
Speaker 6: Thanks you.
Speaker 4: How all all of this take care all this year, take care and just on the joinery. So I was on a project earlier this week where some building surveyors have been engaged by the owner of the property. So Building Surveys is and members of the New Zealand of Building Surveys and they're registered building Surveys as well to determine a whether the cladding will perform. And one of the things we were talking about is this is a sort of nineteen fifties house that had the timber joinery removed sometime probably in the late nineteen nineties early two thousands and replaced with aluminium jowinery. Window size is still the same, so the opening hasn't changed, the cladding hasn't changed. Obviously, the head flashing detail is slightly different and the opinion was very much that work didn't require a building consent at the time. Certainly doesn't require a building consent now so, but always pays to ask. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty will take a short break, and then we've got Bryce McDermott, our painting expert from Razine. He'll be joining us in a moment. I think we might have time for one or two other texts questions for him, so flick him through now.
Speaker 1: Bryce up next, helping you get those DIY projects done right. The resident builder with peta wolf care call.
Speaker 4: And a very very good morning to our painting expert from Razine. Bryce McDermott, Good morning.
Speaker 6: Sir, Good morning, just listening to that man with the with the sort of semi abatoire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some some fairly deep cleaning products will be needed there to to remove what sounds like years of blood and gats.
Speaker 6: Basically, yeah, that's body sets stuff. Yeah, just you know, not to put to fine a point on it, but you know it would need some fairly serious cleaning to get the stuff out of the pause of the concrete. Yes, and maybe even a diamond grinding.
Speaker 4: Ah. You know someone mentioned I think you and I have talked about this over the years. So like doing a garage floor, maybe you've got an older garage floor, that's okay, and then you decide, actually, I want to do a paint surface over it. And lots of people have said give it a quick diamond grind, which if you've got the right equipment, most people could do themselves, or you could get someone in to do it. And then what's the benefit of that, just removing that slightly textured surface and giving you a smoother surface to work with.
Speaker 6: Well, it's sort of basically the idea is to get it to the feel of one hundred right, okay, And it also takes water out of the equation as well. Yes, you know, if you're using acid etching or something like that, you know there's a lot of water involved, so you've got to wait till the floor drives out completely. Yes, dimond grinding takes that out of the equation, right, knocks.
Speaker 4: Off that surface. Okay, Well, that's that's great, That's that's good advice for him. Hey, now, just before we rip into the texts, I know there's there's an old phrase around you know, tradesman never blames as tools in terms of getting a good finish. But let's be realistic, having good gear makes a big difference in terms of the finish, right, So if you've got a rubbish brush that you haven't washed and it's it's more solid than it is flexible and those sorts of things, there's no way that you're going to get a decent finish if you're using rubbish gear.
Speaker 6: You know, I mean, you spend good money on you know, on paying to mix a good finish, you know, So it doesn't hurt to have good tools to do the job. I mean applose to basically any trade. Sure, you know, if you've got the right tools that you look after them, you will get the finish that you expect. Yes, save disappointment in the long run. You know, buy a good roll, a sleep, buy a good brush. You know they'll last you for years.
Speaker 4: But the last thing for years is really about how you look after them as well, in terms of cleaning them, drying them, you know that that sort of thing. And I've just been doing some stuff and you know, I'm using brushes and that that I've had for a couple of years. But I try and when I finished with the painting, clean the brush thoroughly, I hang it up, let it dry out, and okay, it might be a little bit stiff when I grab it a couple of weeks later. But you know, a quick sort of brush over a surface or hit it with a wire brush and that sort of thing, and it's absolutely fine. But cleaning them well is really important.
Speaker 6: And you know, then then smooths them out so that you know, the brush looks like it's come out of the packet, right, yes, you know, keep those filaments nice and straight and everything like that and you'll have a good, decent brush that will last you a long time. It's worthy.
Speaker 4: So throwing a brush in a bucket of water or in a pot of water and then letting the bristles ben ninety degrees, that's not good.
Speaker 6: Well, it will help you, budt No, but I'm seriously, yeah, absolutely. If you see a packet of roller sleeves at the local the local ban.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, and they're they're five for a dollar, then.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just think twice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know you're not going.
Speaker 6: You know, it's it's it's a horrible thing. I've a couple of times where people have you know, spent a lot of money on painting them the roller sleeves, and they going, well, why is it a crep?
Speaker 4: Excuse my language, I hear what you're saying. I think, yeah, buying quality gear and looking after it. No one's even disappointed by that, right, let's get amongst some of these painting questions. So, Shane, a nineteen seventies unit on the second floor, the outside set of concrete stairs has a rusty wrought iron handrail. I mean, you and I got that picture in our minds straight away, after the sandpaper and spraying with a bit of rust off? What paint should I apply to control any further rust? And what type of top coat? Please?
Speaker 6: Oh? Well, it depends how much rust has then got off and the metals exposed.
Speaker 4: Me.
Speaker 6: You know that's a standing to remove rustle or you know, a wire bust. Yes, to get it back to nice clean it's probably very important. And then you know, if you want something that's quick and you know, and I would consider using a product of ours called GP Primer, right, but make sure you get it back to clean metal and prime exactly the same day, because if you live it over again, I'll have to start all over again. Yep. So you know GP primer, very very sick good primer just for the DIY sort of project, and then you can proceed with any top cut over the top of that that you'd like. You could do an enamel top coat, but I would leave the prime to drive for a few days before you do that. Yes, but you can use water born coatings as well. You know, something like a namecrel or lust crawl would do the job quite happily.
Speaker 4: Okay, brilliant, Thank you very much, morning, Pete. Can you ask Bryce what is the best way to repaint an error an aluminium garage tilted door? So not we don't have the flexibility issues you know over roller door. So aluminium tilts door. Let's assume that it's never been painted, so it's beer aluminium and it's probably twenty or thirty years old.
Speaker 6: Again, you know, you'd have to clean it down like we have a product called roof and Metal wash that would we'll get that surface ready for painting and stuff like that. You remove all the grease and then thing out of the tracks on the side of the door. Yep. And if it is bear aluminion, then GP primer again would be a good base coat for that, and then you could put something like water board enamel or even our roof paint summit roof, Yes, would go quite happily on that surface as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, so the summit roof paint, that's good. This one's going to have Mike from razine blower's top. But this is a great question. You'll understand the chuckle in this, Hey, Pete and the razine man. That's you, Bryce. I've got a house that's ten years old rock cot plastic exterior originally painted with Razine X two hundred when repainting. Should I use X two hundred again? Or is there a better product? And when do I? And do I need one or two?
Speaker 6: Brian?
Speaker 4: Well, even I can say, Brian, there is no better product than razine X two hundred.
Speaker 6: So I sure ever ever had an issue with X two hundred. Yeah, and I've been with razine for thty odd years. Yep, it's a great product. Just you know, give it a good if its sound, give it a good wash down, yes, house wash and paint prep spot so many bear areas for shoe seal and then recoate with X two hundreds and you won't have to worry about it.
Speaker 4: So typically, in terms of the recoat. Let's say it's been seven eight years since the other coat was applied. One coat or two coats or.
Speaker 6: Do two too?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep, absolutely, while you're up there for sure right talking about washing houses, which I think is a great idea. We've got a new house with some bricks, some exotic exotech for sad panels, hardy sheets, and cedar so real mixture as the exterior cladding. What do we use for we want to wash the house down annually? And I think mark for the first thing fantastic that you want to wash it down annually, because that's what we all should be doing. So this is a real mixture, isn't it? Brick Exotech, hard ease and some cedar exterior house wash. What have you guys got.
Speaker 6: House washing paint prep? Okay, yes, or even there were even just we've got a product called deep clean. You can just give that a good hose down, Yes, apply that with an applicator and let that sit for a while and then just give it a wash down with clean water. But house washing paint prep, you know you can use that with a soft bristle broom. Yes, give it a good scrub down. It'll do all those surfaces for you. Yeah, fantastic, it'll just take all the chalking and anything else that might be there away.
Speaker 4: Yep, thankually, here's a good one too. Please ask Bryce. Does paint go off? We've got a leftover paint sitting in our shed for eight years after we moved into the house. That's from Ann. Does paint go off?
Speaker 6: It does? Yeah, I mean, you know, after a while, if it hasn't been stored correctly, or if you air has actually got into the bucket or something like that, it'll you'll probably find it's got a big skin on the top of it, any big chunks around and stuff like that. If you're worried about it, just bring the bucket back into one of our color shops and we'll recycle it for you. Yes, by yourself a new bucket.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, eight years is a long time. I'm not sure if I should say this on air, but I will anyway. So we painted our place as I'm only prompted to know this because it's on I wrote the date on the tin with sonics in twenty seventeen. Right, So stripped the whole house back prime top coated the whole whole shebang and of course at the end of the job there's always a little bit of paint left over it which has sat underneath my work bench. And I got that ten lid pail of sonics out the other day with twenty seventeen written in my own handwriting on the side. Gave it a good stir and a shake, and I just I was just doing a little bit of patch up and it was still okay. I think I'm lucky, and I certainly won't be using it on the main house and all the rest of it. But yeah, if you look after it, it's surprising how long it lasts. But maybe I'm pushing my luck, aren't in terms.
Speaker 6: Of yeah, well, it just it basically depends on the storage. A lot of things come into it, like heat and all that. It's in the shed for instance, And yeah, it could it could cook it. I mean, yeah, you know, just check it before you use it, and if you've got the slightest worry about it.
Speaker 4: And sometimes it'll smell too, isn't it. If you pull the lid off and it smells like rotten eggs, then the paint's gone off.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, that can happen, right, And just to smelt jim stopping compounded.
Speaker 4: That things too high? Heaven doesn't it? Four? Oh sorry, Oh that's classic, right, super quick couple of texts. Patches of rust appearing on the ridge flashing on a painted galvanized iron roof in a coastal area, How to trink the rust and what type of preparation before repainting.
Speaker 6: Okay, we'll get yourself something similar to a pot scrubber, one of those green sort of synthetic pads that you use for scrubbing your pots and pans. There is there there are a lot gentler on the roof surface and a wire brush. Ye use that roof and metal wash combined and just remove any loose surface rust or anything like that. Back to sound areas and spot prime those especially in a marine area or coastal area. Use spy'd spot prime those who'd productive our school's arm a zinc one tent, which is a zinc rich primer, and then depending on the condition of the roof, I would probably consider giving it a full cat to go.
Speaker 4: And I was, yeah, okay, perfect, that's great.
Speaker 6: You know, every day before you start, if you're in a coastal area, you've got to wash the surface down because it will be covered in salt.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, and again wash it and get onto the painting. It's not like you wash it one weekend and come back two three weeks later to do the.
Speaker 6: Paint application basic basically every morning. Yeah, yeah, before the sun comes up. Get a quick hose down, get the salt off.
Speaker 4: We've done the cleaning. Last one. To finish up with some wooden garden trellis. I'd like to paint it white, Kraky, what product do you recommend I use? So you know, ten leosed timber. Obviously garden trellis going to be outside. Just stand the quick drying, a top coat.
Speaker 6: It's nothing special, yeah, you know, no offense, but it's just chealous. You know. You know you don't want to spend too much time on it, but if you want to go the whole hog, then I would. I would use an oil based wood prime and a couple of coats a lumbersider. Failing that, you know, if it's in good condition, you know, no sign of rotting or anything like that, then two coats of lumbersider and you might want to spray it as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all those nooks and crannies, criky, drive your ma wouldn't thank you building.
Speaker 6: That's for sure.
Speaker 4: A lesson in patience and determination. That's what that is. All of this, mate, lovely to talk to you today. Thanks very much for your advice today and to get all the good advice and the right tips and trips and the right product. Make sure you talk to the experts at Razine Color Shop. It was a great session with Bryce this morning. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty. We can take a couple more calls before the news at eight o'clock. After the news at eight o'clock will be chatting with Charlotte mceowan from one Tree Hill College. This is the school in Auckland that have done the refurbishment. I love that sign. Can you hear that in the background. So here in the zb MZDME office the Herald not too far from us, in the studio and they're doing some stuff. They're going to do online content which is kind of exciting, and so they're rebuilding part of the studio and the builder who's up there is obviously using a rotary hammer drill to do some fixings into concrete. And I can hear the sound in my headphones very nostalgic. Makes me feel like I'm actually on a building site, which I kind of am. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty gives a call. We'll talk up till eight o'clock. Then we're going to talk building and schools and trade training with Charlotte mceowan from one Tree Hill College after eight. And then of course, as always, we're into the garden with a hood coming pass from eight point thirty this morning. Back in the month twice god once but maybe called Pete first fee Worcab the resident builder news talks, they'd be news talks. They'd be we're talking all things building actually quick texts that's just come through Pete. I've been told off and being told it's illegal to work on Sundays as a tyler. How does your guy get away from it in the studio. Well, he's not in the studio, he's about twenty meters down the corridor, and yes they are working. Well, of course you work on a Sunday. It's the least disruptive time and commercial is different to residential. So look, you as a tyler out there grinding and all the rest of it on a Sunday morning, of course you're going to get told off. And told to go home. But this is slightly different than being in the building and the only people are impact there are people that already know about it and essentially have given their permission too. So that's the other thing. And I love this other text that came through. I've always felt, says the Texter that a good trades person, a good tradesman, will have well maintain tools. So therefore a bad tradesman will blame their tools. Very wise, very wise, young Jedi's that's quite insightful.
Speaker 15: Ian, Good morning morning, is you better, Peter? My uncle and aunt were Tom and Joe and Pedlow who lived in Hawk's Bay at Napier there on the hill Brewsters Street. He was an old age shore builder between nineteen twenty and nineteen twenty and his motto was when I built a house, that stayed built.
Speaker 8: It's all his houses.
Speaker 15: Everyone that I spoke to that I knew that Tom built a home for claimed that their house survived the earthquake, which is impressive, including his own one on the hill on Bruces Street.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so he.
Speaker 15: Had no leaky rooms in any trouble with his houses. He took his time. He owned TG TG Pedlow and for a mon roster, not munrows trip anyway to here. And he was he was in business basically for close to three decades, thirty years, right. So he died of nineteen fifty three, far through young, merely ten. When he did there's a shawman never really got an arm. He was agree with an A grade A grade level builder.
Speaker 4: Look, I think the one thing that that probably has stood out to me most in all of the years that I've been doing it is quality work always lasts right. And I think sometimes whether it's a modern thing or it's always been around, there's often a real focus on I'm just getting the job done right. So we're working on something, we've got this horizon which is kind of the end of the day or the end of the project. And given that most of what we do as builders and as lbps in terms of structure, needs to survive for fifty years, but really we should have a much longer view than that. You know, we should be thinking when we're working on something, is this going to be good for seventy five years, one hundred years? I mean my house is what about one hundred and twenty years old? Right, I'd like to think that the carpenters that worked on that back in nineteen oh five thereabouts, I don't know the exact date, were whether they had an appreciation or could see or sense that their work was going to be around one hundred and twenty years later. And if you're building a new house today, are you thinking about it being there one hundred and twenty years I think if you did, you'd probably have quite a different view.
Speaker 1: Back after the news doing of the house, storting the Garden asked Pete for a hand the resident builder with Peter Wolfcap call oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty news talks, 'vy.
Speaker 4: Your news talks. They'd be welcome back to the show. It has just gone six and a half minutes after eight on a Sunday morning, crikey, second day of March already, So the year has taken along. It's been a great show thus far in terms of conversation, great time with Bryce, some really good questions there. One of the highlights of my week, to be really really honest, was being invited to go out to one Tree Hill College, which is in sort of central Auckland, and it's a project that I've sort of had some insight into for the last little while, there were some old houses which are part of the development of the busway along the Eastern Corridor in Auckland, and instead of the houses being just demolished and sent to landfill, some of them were repurposed. One of those houses was trucked across to one Tree Hill College where the students and staff and professional builders and a whole bunch of very generous companies have been engaged in refurbishing that building. And so on Monday there was kind of the official opening of the building and that building is now available for sale. You can have a look online find the listing and it's also on the Bathet and Thompson website. Which a great project. In the end, I know that these projects always need someone drying them, and that person is my guest this morning, Charlotte mcchewn. Thank you very much. So your title is teacher in charge of Trade training. What does that mean? Well, thank you, welcome.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you great to be here.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 16: Teacher in charge of training for trades means that I'm responsible for one hundred and ten students that we have in our Level one, two and three bc ITO program at Onetre Hill College and I'm responsible for how they get into trade and how they get an apprenticeship.
Speaker 4: So just go into the details of that. This is an opportunity for students at the college to start their pre trade qualification while still at school and still doing other NCAA subjects as well.
Speaker 3: That's correct.
Speaker 16: So at level one and two the students are opting to do BCO unit standards as well as the NCAA standards. But at level three they actually move into the Trade Academy, which means that they fully focus on the beecats BCO unit standards, so that they are actually getting a few unit standards under their belt before they start their apprenticeship program. So they're already doing it online, which is the way that BCITO does it. So you've got that platform set up and then they can seamlessly move into that as we transition them into an apprenticeship.
Speaker 4: Am I right in assuming that prior to having the house on site to be able to do some practical work, if they did do some practical stuff, it would be let's say, in the workshop, right, you know, and so we all remember making pencil cases and maybe making a sawhorse and that sort of spice. I absolutely, but suddenly the students have an opportunity to be effectively on a construction site. One of the young men that I spoke with, he talked about working on the demolition, so helping strip the house out. Then he was heavily involved in the insulation. Other students were talking about working alongside the tyler. How does it just step me through the process. How does it work for your students to be in that dynamic environment a real building site.
Speaker 16: Well, we're really fortunate that when we have twenty we have twenty students in our trade academy and when they come in we're just on a regular class timetable. We don't have them all day, so just run it as a regular class. They'll come into the workshop. I'll have written on the board what we're what we've got going on in the house of the builder. We've got a licensed builder on site. We'll say, hey, I've got roofing here today. I need four people out there with me. And I'll say, well, this is what we've got to get done on our unit standards work the moment. We're building sofas, for example, and I'll say, okay, who wants to go out to the house and a couple will throw their hands up. They'll move round to the side of the workshop, put on their boots and their hivers.
Speaker 3: They'll trot outside.
Speaker 16: To the house which is just just across the way and get underway so they can have that one on one with the builder and whoever else is on site, and then the rest will keep going with their unit standard work. But they need to be aware that they can't be on the house all the time because I've still got to get this other other work done. So this get to manage what they're doing. They can stay because they're in a trade academy with other trade academy teachers if they want to stay, Like Alisha with the tiles the other week, she stayed for most of the day to be with Tyler Ayas and the teachers are able to be flexible with that so that she can get that experience of that that's running well. And if Tyler's able to stay, great, they can stay with them. So there's an opportunity to get these bigger experiences. And it's an organic experience. It's not so set in stone, and how lucky are we for that?
Speaker 4: And I'm guessing too in terms of trade training, it's an insight into the wide variety because typically, if you're talking trade training with young people, you're thinking about the big trades. Right, I'm going to put carpentry at the top, but there's sparkys and plumbers and so on. But now do you get the sense that the young people themselves get an appreciation of the variety of work that goes into a building project and maybe things.
Speaker 16: That they didn't know existed or rules related to the building code. So one of the parts of the project that we had to work on quite extensively was the water proofing. Yes, an island sink in our house, and of course we need to work with that one point five meter special Yeah, so with this lovely floor by Lovitch, we don't want to put anything around here that creates the splash zone. So we use the Marpe waterproofing system and we water proved the entire living room, dining right up the hall so that we.
Speaker 3: Didn't have to do that. And that was obviously a huge learning curve for our building, for.
Speaker 16: Myself as an architectural student, but then for our students to understand, well, why are we doing this, Why is the floor blue, why is it looking like this? And the reasons behind that, so then we can reflect back to the building code and bring it back to why we're all here and what we're trying to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah. One of the things that struck me too was that some of the people who had been part of the trades academy at the school are now employed and employed by companies that have come back to support. So I happened to talk to Simon from Woods Glass right, and the story seems to be that some young students who was students who are part of the program last year are now currently employed as apprentices at that firm. Are you making those connections? Is that really useful as well?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 16: Actually, as much as we certainly need the donations of product, that's our bigger goal is that.
Speaker 3: When the companies come in.
Speaker 16: And actually an example on Friday, I get an email from Green Gorilla, who is one of our supporters, who said, look, we're thinking about sustainability. How can we show the students that let's bring them to the plant, what walk them through it? And then what other opportunities are they for them here in Green Gorilla, What who might be interested in that? So as much as yes, we are so super grateful for their donation of product and knowledge. We are more interested in them saying, hey, we've got a program where we're training for shrim pikel came to us with that, how fantastic. And then we have these incredible connections in the community where we can say, hey, Johnny or Jenny are interested in that. Can we bring them out and we'll bring them out to the company, let them have a walk around, talk to them and make sure that it's a good fit for us. It's about a good fit because that's how we build the success. And in addition to making that good fit, the other thing that we are very focused on is adulting.
Speaker 3: So okay, yeah, our students.
Speaker 16: In the community generally are not maybe as well adulted as they could be, meaning that they don't know how to look at an adult who is maybe in a powerful position an employment. They don't know how to ask questions. They don't feel confident to say I'm actually not sure where that location is or if I can get there. I don't know if I can get there on time because I drop my sister to primary school before I come. They don't say that, or they didn't in the past say that, and then they would not turn up or they would be late. So we have an adulting program without RAP. It's called RAP. It's run by our rotary Penrose Rotary Program, and they meet with our students once a week, just during normal class time. It's nothing special, and a mentor's placed with two or three students and they are there to walk beside that student, so to understand how you're going out there? That's great, but how are you going to get there? Can you get there on time? What do you think you should be wearing?
Speaker 6: Have?
Speaker 16: Can you pack your lunch? Where our school that has a food program? Can you get a lunch together? Are you going to be able to get home in time for your sports practice?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 3: How can we work this out?
Speaker 16: And they do those very fine details that we as classroom teachers will.
Speaker 3: Never be able to do.
Speaker 16: Sure, So this mentoring program, I believe has been the difference. And it was with Woods Glass that we started this because they were our first big company and they took students and it was honestly, we were awful. We didn't turn up on time, you were late, we didn't talk. And this is when we recognized. I recognized with and Dumphy from the WRAP program.
Speaker 3: From Rotary that this is what we needed, was mentoring.
Speaker 16: And in our community we have a lot of people who can give up in our week through Rotary, that is a great bridge. And this has allowed our students to be able to talk confidently and feel good about being able to say what they need to say and support it so they may even practice doing a phone call to the company to introduce themselves. Those things are very difficult for our young people, and we feel that mentoring has overcome that.
Speaker 4: I think that's phenomenal in terms of its impact. So, you know, we as we get older, we criticize the younger generation and that sort of thing, but in the end, we've all got to learn these skills. Right, they don't just happen. And it's almost like you guys have figured that out and go, okay, so how do we teach these these skills in terms of fronting up, being on time, all of that sort of thing. It doesn't just happen. It's certain doesn't happen in a vacuum.
Speaker 3: It doesn't happen.
Speaker 16: But I think that what we were very fortunate is that instead of what saying to us, oh my goodness, what's wrong with you? They came back and said, hey, look, this one isn't doing this one, this one isn't doing that, and then we were able to partner and work through it together. Yep, and here they are still taking our peace people every year.
Speaker 4: Wow. So with me in the studio is Charlotte Mchow and his teacher in charge of trade. I just think that that title on your business card is just fantastic when it comes to secondary schools, right, because my own personal feeling is that I don't know that we've done a great job with trade training over the last thirty or forty years. And I guess I'm putting that timeline in because there was a vision back thirty or forty years ago where suddenly all of our jobs are going to be white collar. Right, we're moving into a digital environment blah blah blah blah blah. You know even AI, Right, they ain't going to come out and unblock your toilet. So I kind of feel that we've missed an opportunity with our generation of young people in terms of introducing them to life in the trades, which isn't always pleasant, isn't always easy, but I think ultimately can be really rewarding. Is that kind of what drives you that you've seen that insights.
Speaker 16: I think, gosh, what in a fantastic opportunity because trade can be just the.
Speaker 3: Beginning for us, at least an apprenticeship.
Speaker 16: It's the beginning, right, So we want them to get a qualification, so they've always got that to fall back on it like our parents don't. Ye got to have something to fall back on. And then from there, of course they can get greater qualifications. They can obviously run their own business, but if we can get them qualified with a skill that they can diversify from and make good friends and learn to work together. These are skills that are transferable. So what a great start. And then if you want to go into project management or something else, you go for yourself.
Speaker 3: But sure, at least let's get your started.
Speaker 4: It's a step on the ladder.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The other thing that really impressed me about the building is you committed yourself to effectively sort of higher performance. Right, So this isn't let's just cobble it together and see what we end up with. You've gone through the home rating program. I saw Andrew Eagles there, Matthew Cutler Wealth, both of whom have been on the show a couple of times. I'm a huge I'm a homestar assessor from way back and all the so I think that it's a it's a fantastic project. What did you like? What did you need to do in order to achieve Home Star seven? Which is remarkable?
Speaker 16: Well, to be fair, we did think we were just doing a little old renovation. We never had this intention or absolutely not no way. So we were just going to do a little you know, do up. And that was great, and that was why I went to Woods Glass to ask them for their Yes, they left over windows, and they politely said we don't make those, but did come back and say, your apprentices can make.
Speaker 3: You whatever you want.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 16: When they came back and said that, that's when we realized that actually, this isn't made up of your leftovers. Yep, this could be something. And it happened to tie in. Was at Auckland University. The lecturer lecture that I was at was talking about Home Star and I cantest said to the builder, Hey, what about this and he said, I don't know anything about it.
Speaker 3: Let's find out.
Speaker 16: Spoke to Matthew Cultwal she said, yea, if you can get over h one, which that's going to be a lot for a nineteen sixty eight, nineteen seventy in this condition, which has got to blow a door test of nineteen ear changes an hour. If you can get over age one, you'll.
Speaker 3: Have a show.
Speaker 16: And so, of course, being blissfully ignorant, I said, great, let's do it, and knowing that Kanga Aora at the time did have in their new stock Homestyle level six and they also had ten, I just randomly.
Speaker 4: Said let's do seven a test.
Speaker 16: But really, how that happens is that everyone pulls together. So Matthew says, hey, well you really need to talk to this person. You need to talk to Homestar designer, you need to me need to go and do this course, so and get that done. So it's about the community coming together and collectively solving the problem. I certainly didn't solve the problem. It was a large group of all of our sponsors of professionals, people who know what they're doing, all sharing together and collectively coming up with the solutions because you were hack ups along the way like the water proof and how do we do this?
Speaker 4: But that's building, yes, you know, but.
Speaker 16: It's so wonderful that everybody wants to come together and I think it brings out the best of everyone when it is a community project for student success, and that is what made it so special. So there isn't one person driving it. We are all in this together.
Speaker 4: Fantastic with me in the studio, Charlotte mckeowan from One Tree Hill College. We're going to take a short break. We'll talk a little bit more about the house and hey, you can buy it and it's a damn good house, so why wouldn't you twenty one minutes after eight back in the mow.
Speaker 1: Whether you're painting the ceiling, fixing the fens, or wondering how to fix that hole in the wall. Give Peter wolf Gaper call on eighty the resident builder on news Dogs b.
Speaker 4: So Charlotte from One Tree Hill College teacher. I'd love that phrase, teacher in charge of trades, and part of me loves it so much because I don't see that on business cards for teachers much. Just very quick, what is it about One Tree Hill College that went we're going to do this?
Speaker 6: Is it?
Speaker 4: Your drive is at the school recognizing what they need for their students. Where does it come from?
Speaker 16: I think it came from originally are seeing that the students weren't transitioning as well as what they could from sure, from the program into apprenticeships.
Speaker 3: There's too big.
Speaker 16: A gap there, and from making furniture, which we were around the school, which is very helpful, and we need picnic tables and we need seating. This is all a valid thing to do, but it's not building on a job site, right, It's not. It's not, and you can't make it that because you're in a workshop. It's much more controlled in there.
Speaker 3: It's just not.
Speaker 4: And I guess the other thing is some schools allow for you know, in their let's say year thirteens who might have one day a week working on site, but then there's also that they can't keep up with their regular NCAA subjects and so on. So the beauty of bringing the work site to the school is what you were talking about earlier. You can be in the classroom doing you know, your Level three English or visual English or whatever you're doing, and then in the afternoon you'll be out on the building site.
Speaker 3: It's correct.
Speaker 16: So we've been able to mesh these two together, which means that as tradees are coming on site for whatever license works they may be doing. Yes, we can let the students know that, Hey, the electrician is going to be here today. If you want to go out, you can pull some wires with them, it'd be great. Or just go out and see when we were doing the diaphragm floor, for example, the students couldn't do that, but they could come out and watch that being done by licensed builders. Yes, which is a fabulous experience. Who knows what it looks like under there. It's great to see what I've beam in a joycener.
Speaker 4: What's going on? This is absolutely and the house when it arrived and I remember seeing the news story about it, you know, pretty shabby, run down, typical nineteen seventies house. So was this it's XKO stock from the Eastern Busway project or from another project came from from angli Okay, so I thought it might have been an Eastern Busway. Either way, it's fantastic that rather than just driving a bulldozer through them, we're refurbishing them and not just refurbishing. I think it's it's hard to not understate the fact that it's a home Star seven rating right independent rating. You've got to achieve right, doesn't meet the criteria, they're not going to give it a home Star seven rating. And given that, you know, when I firsted Homestar, probably seventy percent of New Zealand houses used to be a two or maybe, and then they ditched. Anything below five, and a modestly built house might achieve a seven is unusual. That puts you in the top couple of percent of houses in the country in terms of its energy efficiency, in terms of being warm, dry, comfortable. So, given that the house is up for sale, what's been the response from the community, and you've got real estate agents on board, it's on trade me you know, are you confident about the auction?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, in fact, we're even going to run a wager. That's right, Okay, of course we are.
Speaker 16: No, we do believe that there will be someone out there who will be looking to move this, whether it's for a batch or for a family home a little further out of Auckland, I would imagine wouldn't be great. It's not terribly expensive to move it fifty kilometers maybe thirty five thousand dollars and get some piles in the ground.
Speaker 3: You're good to go.
Speaker 16: It's affordable thing and you're going to take your toothbrush, because you even get a car so you can drive behind your house.
Speaker 4: On a truck far out so that and look, we're not talking expensive, right, So you've set the reserve at two hundred grand, that's.
Speaker 16: Correct, and we would have you know, more than four hundred in it, that's for sure for our sponsors donations.
Speaker 3: And that's without labor.
Speaker 16: So if you're coming in, you're going to get it under sort of four or five hundred.
Speaker 3: You're going to get a scale right there.
Speaker 4: What day is the auction?
Speaker 16: It is on Thursday, the third of April at four o'clock. It's a live auction with Barfoot and Thompson. So we'll be doing it on site, but of course fantastic do it online with you.
Speaker 3: All in your bid.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it'll be very exciting. I mean it's already exciting with the open homes, and this.
Speaker 4: Is not a one hit wonder.
Speaker 6: Ray.
Speaker 4: My understanding is you've got another house lined up and this will start again in May.
Speaker 16: That's correct, So this house will need to be off site by the end of April. We actually the builders out today are looking at thirty eight different homes that are going to be removed in a particular area and he will be narrowing that down. We need something that can fit on a truck, something with an iron roof, yep. And if it meets those specifications, then we can start crawling around and seeing if the bones are good and we'll pick that up and make it into something fabulous and.
Speaker 4: You'll spend your dollar. You're buying a house.
Speaker 3: Well, we've got our dollar ready. We're good to go.
Speaker 4: Can I just read out to you a couple of the texts that have come through So the way it works as people can text right into the studio. So this text what a wonderful story and what a resourceful person Charlotte is one Tree Hill College is blessed. Another person has said this is a game changer for our young people. Hope it gets replicated throughout New Zealand. Hope ko heads are listening from Lee because other schools have done builds right, but it's often from new or they've got frames and trusses and maybe a roof on site and it's the completion. This is genuinely new and game changing in terms of a deep retro fit and remodel of an existing building.
Speaker 16: Correct, And I think well for us we weren't confident to take a brand new bath because we don't have any covered area, We don't have a special space. We just have a triangular piece of land that the school couldn't use for anything.
Speaker 3: Else, and no one wanted.
Speaker 16: That was all we had, so we couldn't do the model with kring or with the frames and trusses, and we were considering tiny houses, but that really seemed to be much and gosh, how would we pay it back? So for us caring or was the difference between us being able to do this and not do it. And I do want to thank them for having that vision of sustainability and saying hey, look we will help you. And they did help us a lot to get this on site. They removed all this bust us before we got it, which meets the Ministry of Education specifications and it's allowed us to do this and now, of course it allows others to see what we're doing and they can do it too, and we want to share that. We want everyone in New Zelling to do it and they are more than welcome to contact us and we will give them everything we've got.
Speaker 4: You mentioned on Monday that some other schools were coming to look through. Did that happen this week?
Speaker 16: So on Thursday we had twenty five twenty seven people come from different schools around New Zealand to hear about what we were doing. And we had people talking from BCITO, from Moldi and Pacific Trade Training. We had Matthew talking about home staff. Yes, we had our rotary program talking about the mentoring program and the purpose was to show the rape Around program that we do share everything. There is no question that is not welcome. And we'll tell you what we've done because we want you to do it too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you're doing it again. And when I talked to you on Monday, I said, look, here's the deal. If you come into the studio and chat for half an hour, which we've done, I'll come and work for you for a day. So you just let me know and I'll be there with you. Not escape me my Pilly Penny on All right, looking forward to Charlotte mckewan from one Tree Hill College. All the very best for the auction. Check it out online. It's on trade Me. It'll be on the Bathlet and website, Bartheton Thompson website. Good luck with the auction and thank you very much for joining me today. Yeah back with Rudd in just a moment. Squeaky door or Squeaky floor.
Speaker 1: Get the right advice from Me Wolfcamp, the Resident Builder on News Talk SeeDB. For more from the Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp, listen live to News Talk SeeDB on Sunday mornings from six, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio