Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Sport Podcast with Jason Vine from News Talks B.
Speaker 2: James mcconey, as always, is with us on a Sunday up in Glasgow covering the Commonwealth Games as part of Sky Sports coverage. Good to Chat he has always James, how good was Eliza McCartney's gold in the women's pole vault?
Speaker 3: Well, it's just incredible the perseverance shown, right, And this is this is somebody who every time I see her, she's you know, battling in Achilles' injury and I mean she's still the achilles is still a problem, but she's just learned to manage it and it's come back and just been world class.
Speaker 4: And she's just a class act anyway.
Speaker 3: You know, she's getting fluenced in today or mahldy, she's she's just a ray of sunshine and so and also not only a hero to Imogen Harris, but her mentor as well. Now so and I'm sure Olivia mctaggett feels the same way. So hard luck for Love missing out because she is a really top performer as well.
Speaker 4: But just seeing Eliza do.
Speaker 3: That with with image in there just shows that in terms of what our strongest event is it probably is right up there women's poll.
Speaker 2: Vot absolutely yeah, So a golden, a bronze there and then a silver for Tory Morby in the in the women's javelin. Had the chance to do a couple of events with Tory Morby. What an impressive person she is. But great to see her on the podium as well with silver and the women's javelin.
Speaker 3: I know, it's just so great because she she dabbled with leaving she's toying with leaving javelin last year.
Speaker 4: She wanted to. She played cricket last summer.
Speaker 3: She was playing for the Northern Brave and women's team and the I think was the b team there for a while, but they were really hopeful.
Speaker 4: That she's going to stick it.
Speaker 3: Obviously could bowl very very far and throw very far from the boundary, so you know there were certain things, you know, just liking the way that she is making those strides.
Speaker 4: But then she sort of managed to find a way back throwing the javelin and falling in love with it again. So good on it.
Speaker 3: For doing it, and you know, seeing her success and that of Zoey Hobbs, who's from Stratford and Taranaki of course tories from Gore down in Southland. It does remind me of you know that song by Journey, Don't stop believing. You know, yep, just a small town girl and so you know, living in the lonely world and then just basically catching them in night train. But you know the one thing that they don't do, Piney, they don't stop believing.
Speaker 2: Okay, there is the secret to it all. Don't stop believing small town boys and girls. Anything is possible. Hey, we've heard the Australian national anthem far too many times, but we're not to hear at the net ball Jamaica beat them in the semis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, jamaking me crazy. That is just one of those things. If I heard the Jamaican fans singing no Jamaica, no Part, and I was going, that's quite good from them. And look, the Silver fans are in a great shot. I think Grace and Wiki is just an incredible goal shooter and you know, as long as she's out there on the court, I think the New Zealand's got a good chance for gold.
Speaker 4: So it's pretty cool to see. And look the Aussies.
Speaker 3: Last time I saw on the medal table that was fifty nine gold, so you know they've done all right.
Speaker 2: They have. As the curtain comes down on the Glasgow events. It's been shortened of course, and that was because of the short time frame that Glasgow had to organize it after Victoria or Melbourne pulled out. What sense do you get, James about the future of this event of the Commonwealth Games.
Speaker 3: I think it's I think it's been revised nicely. It's been trimmed down. I think there's probably because of the short notice they couldn't. You know, you can see there's a lack of outdoor sports, so I think athletics felt like it was the only thing that was on outdoors and and I.
Speaker 4: Think they could probably add a few back in.
Speaker 3: I think triathlon needs to come back in and some of the distance.
Speaker 4: Events, so I'd like to see that happen. I think the next edition is going to be in India. I think New Zealand could actually host upon Wealth Games.
Speaker 3: They'd have to share it around a bit, but it's definitely doable. You know, we've got we've got a valodrome, we've got that there's there's a couple of pools that could be used or expanded and really it's just the price of working out where to have the athletics, right. But I think there's enough big venues in New Zealand if I'm happy to let a country hoster. I think New Zealand should put a bit in that. That's my feeling, and the Commonwealth Games at the size it is at the moment is possibly about right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree, and I hope that that that that has investigated the ability of a country to host the Commonwealth Games. And yeah, I think New Zealand should definitely get their their hat in that ring. A couple of other matters I wanted to get your thoughts on. You're following the Gianni Infantino FIFA saga.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I don't know how I feel about Johnny and Fantino because when you look at previous and then set blesser, Infantino is a massive upgrade. You know, he wasn't there for those those terrible years of just blatant corruption and by all those different you call them delegates, but they are terrible, you know, you chuck blazers and I forget the guy from Trinidad.
Speaker 4: You'll remember his.
Speaker 2: Name, Jack Warner was it.
Speaker 4: That's right, Warner.
Speaker 3: Base that they built an entire high performance football academy. But he is funny enough. He owned the land that it was on, so it became his. And so look, this is the whole thing with FIFA. Infantino years clumsy. His relationship with Trump is regrettable, and giving a peace prize to Trump is just absolute madness. But at the same time, this thing is all about commerce. He wanted to privatize or self sell off some of the World Cup and look, maybe they need to find a way to inject more money into the game because like most those or most of those organizations, world rugby is the same.
Speaker 4: The World Cup is everything. That's where the money comes from, and they've got huge expenses covering everything else. So look, he's going to back down.
Speaker 3: I don't know if there'll be a coup, but let's just hope that the next person is less weird than in Fantina.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's hope. So that's quite a low Barber, So we'll see what happens. I always good to chet to you, James, Loving your coverage as part of Sky's coverage of the of the Commonwealth Games go well for the rest of it, mate, and look forward to catching up at around about the same time next week.
Speaker 1: For more from Weekend Sport with Jason Fine, listen live to News Talk Sat B weekends from midday, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.