Speaker 1: You're listening to a Sheerseise podcast.
Speaker 2: Is it going to get harder to tell what a bank is and whether if something is calling itself a bank, that it's really as safe as any other kind of bank.
Speaker 1: So I believe that the Reserve Bank will still maintain its list of what constitutes a bank or not, and there are certain requirements such as credit ratings, minimum capital requirements that so called banks will still have to maintain, So that provides some assurance and distinguishing factors. But it's true that in terms of the services that are being offered, the line between what we traditionally know as banks and those institutions that are effectively offering banking services borrowing and lending are being blurred.
Speaker 2: Is that a good thing bad thing? Good? Good for some people, bad for others.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great question, and that's why I find this whole podcast episode so fascinating, because I think the answer is not clear cut. I think it is nuanced in some sense. Many people worry that New Zealand's banking sector is highly concentrated. Some people argue that it is not very competitive, and there have been calls to, for example, revisit capital requirements of late to promote more competition and unlock growth.
Speaker 2: Essentially, because if you're a big bank, you might not have to carry quite so much capital to offset your lending is if you're a smaller bank, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, scale really matters. The effective cost to the entity is much smaller when you're a very large bank. And so these changes, I would argue, do serve to promote competition in the sense that the larger banks have more stringent requirements than the smaller players, and so in that sense, I think even if the uptake of services among these smaller players is low, a lot of these things are very difficult to These regimes are very difficult to change because once people as you and I know, once we're with a bank, it's very costly to switch everything over. But even the threat of that competition, I think is enough to get these institutions to behave more competitively.
Speaker 2: So that only works if you've got these smaller kind of non bank deposit takers or bank like institutions getting in there and competing. Are they pretty much offering the same kinds of services or are they doing things differently?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it depends on how you look at it. In terms of taking deposits and lending and monitoring activities. These are all equivalent to what the big banks are doing, but I think the focus and the concentration is quite different. So building societies, credit unions, these tend to be more sectorially focused or geographically concentrated, and that has its pro and cons. The pros are that arguably these institutions are more specialized, have better information to monitor and select the right kinds of debtors in such an environment. But the downsides are that there are often concentrated risks in these geographical or sectoral spaces, so when things go pair shaped, it's more likely to go pair shaped for everyone.
Speaker 2: Right, Right, so big bedstorm wipes out the whole rural economy in that area. You're in trouble. But on the other hand, you know what the neighbors are saying about this guy, and so you're not going to necessarily advance credit to him on the same basis that a big bank might.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's exactly it. And I mean, over the past decade we've seen about forty percent of bank branches close, especially from the big branches, and so that loss of soft information and that those kinds of relational banking services that used to be very helpful in extending loans. I would argue that we're losing yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: To a non bank deposit tak What makes them different? They're just doing what a bank does, but they're not allowed to call themselves a bank or is there something else in there as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So previously non bank deposit teakers didn't have access to reserve bank facilities as well to borrow and land at the official cash rate. This is also changing and a topic of undercurrent discussion is whether these non bank deposit takers should also have access to lender of last resort and public backstops, which would essentially fall on the treasury. And so this is a big question that.
Speaker 2: I a you and me basically yes.
Speaker 1: The taxpayers. So I think this is something that will be a big concern for regulators going forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suppose. I think about like the history and the recent history here, we had the GFC in this country. The way it turned up wasn't like big merchant banks like Layman Brothers that were falling over. It was these finance companies a lot of the time that were falling over. So have we kind of gone through the cycle again or have we learned from that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a very good question. I think the Frank Act in the US spawned a lot of local legislation to follow suit and regulation leading to higher prudential supervision. New Zealand is an interesting case in some for some non bank deposit takers, we have custodial supervision as opposed to direct supervision from the reserve bank. I think that's an interesting feature that I would argue we also need to give thought to who guards the guards?
Speaker 2: What does that mean? Explain that to make custarlia visus direct supervision.
Speaker 1: So custodial supervision means a third party, a third entity is responsible for monitoring and making sure that the entity is adhering to all the standards set out by the Council of Financial Regulators, whereas direct supervision is where the reserve Bank itself is going and monitoring and supervising these banks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe you think there's a scope for a little bit more of that or less of that.
Speaker 1: I think ideally I would argue that directed provision is best. It reduces these principal agent problems, where even while meaning third parties might for various reasons and under various incentives miss out on key risks, especially from a macro prudential lens, in terms of across the whole system. You know, one entity might look very good in its books in isolation, but the benefit of having a single entity monitoring everyone so that you can look at the system as a whole.
Speaker 2: You're starting to see the same problems turning up and you're may be a little bit ahead of it, right, Yeah, A lot of this is probably not going to be on people's mind if they're looking about a particular financial entity as a place to lend to, to give their capital to an invest or, to borrow from, and so on. Are these things people should be thinking about?
Speaker 1: Well, As a first step, I would make sure that the entity that you're banking with is registered, so the register is publicly available, so it's always important to look up if you're going with a lesser known, smaller bank, to make sure that it's subject to the same supervisory standards. And yeah, I think I think that the changing legislation bringing all of these entities under the same overarching framework is actually going to help the end consumer by concentrating supervision so.
Speaker 2: That at least there's one set of eyes looking on it rather than us having to worry too much about exactly.
Speaker 1: So that uses us up a little bit.
Speaker 2: I suppose if you try and look ahead a little bit, how would you sort of see the banking landscape changing in the next five or ten years. We've got a lot of disruption that feels like coming in. A lot of people were banking license given to sort of one very disruptive fintech in Australia just this week. Is that what we're going to see a lot of international players coming in with very very novel technology, quite a light footfront and saying, you know, give us your money, will lend you money, will help you, will bank you.
Speaker 1: I saw the news of our Revolute applying for a license in Australia, and I believe they're looking to do so in New Zealand too. I do think that these kinds of new banks have the potential to be quite disruptive and to reshape the environment, not only because they offer competitive rates and they offer the ease with which someone can send money abroad, but also because they're promoting a platform that's a bit like a world Guard and it's kind of a one stop shop where you can do everything from pay your friends, to receive your salary, to invest in crypto, all of these different services that I think traditional brick and mortar banks didn't double in, and so I think it's going to cause the existing players to think very carefully about their service offering and whether they're into what extent they want to change to compete with some of those services, or whether they're comfortable in their market share. But they might want to think about their rates and how to stay competitive there.
Speaker 2: Because big banks, I mean the impression I get they move pretty slow, right, they invest in technology, and then it sort of stands still for quite a long time. They're conservative, they don't want to make big changes. Does that hamper them in some way?
Speaker 1: I think in some way it does hamper them, and it is I am sympathetic to just how costly it is to change services. My mother works for a very large South African bank and had to do a very large scale system change, and so I rarely got to see firsthand just what's involved, the costs involved. So the benefit of the scale that these banks have has been traditionally to offer competitive rates and more services like access to qisaver and other financial products. But I do think that use banks will need to revise some of their systems, firstly in terms in the interest of competition, but also in the interest of cybersecurity. So we've also seen a very significant cyber incident this week from open ai and hugging Face, and so I think that this will also trigger banks to revisit some of their systems.
Speaker 2: Almost wonder if it makes it so it was so dramatic that it's almost impossible to defend against. I don't know, maybe I'm being a bit nihilistic, but it feels almost like any amount of money you're throwing at a problem, it's still going to be a problem.
Speaker 1: I think there is some degree of that.
Speaker 2: So some of the I'm sure the regulators wouldn't see it that way if you said it went hey, look it's so bad, we're not going to try. But there were a CBA call of thank of Australia were spinning and I can't remember the figure actually, but it was an astronomical might have been a billion dollars or something trying to look at investing in cybersecurity. So these big banks are spending vast sums trying to defend against cyber attexts does that mean that a smaller bank is a lot riskier.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say necessarily. The advantage that smaller banks have is that they tend to be more flexible and they can adapt more quickly to changing environments, and cybersecurity is a very dynamic, fast paced environment, so I think that actually gives them an edge. Bigger banks also tend to have legacy systems that are working on top of one another. They're layered, and they have all of these back doors and these vulnerabilities that constantly need to be patched. But for sure, I think it's a first order consideration for big and small banks. Investing involves the risk you might lose the money you start with. We recommend talking to a licensed financial advisor.
Speaker 2: We also recommend reading product disclosure documents before deciding to invest.