Speaker 1: Football Fever with News Talks nb's voice of Football Jason Paine and Bonnie Chanson. Hello and welcome into Football Fever with FIFA Plus stream New Zealand football live and free on FIFA plus dot com. I'm Jason Pine Bonnie Jensen here as well. One week to go, Bonnie until the start of the New A League men's season.
Speaker 2: So well, let's done. Next week will be almost there.
Speaker 1: Auckland FC's opening game Brisbane Raw five o'clock Saturday, the nineteenth, Mount Smart the following day the Phoenix opening against Western United four o'clock Sky Stadium. How are you feeling having been in and around these two teams or representatives of them earlier this week. I think they had a joint media opportunity up in Auckland.
Speaker 3: Yes, Kida Piney just crazy that when nine sleeps away, I can't really believe it. So excited for next week when we officially get into it and all the pre match press.
Speaker 4: Conferences and things like that.
Speaker 3: But yes, as you say, caught up with the at the law unch with the two teams. Chief he was there, Steve Corker was there, and a couple of players from from both Phoenix and Auckland f C.
Speaker 4: And it was good.
Speaker 3: It was you know, you can since the since the vibe is starting to really kick off and it's it's heating up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it is getting closer.
Speaker 1: And I quite like the fact that you know, there's there's been an effort made to you know, to keep it in the headlines. It's hard to get cut through although at the moment with the NRL having finished and I guess the All Blacks not playing at the moment the MPC is on, but you know, trying to get a bit of cut through, trying some different things and I think a joint you know, a joint meter opportunity is a great opportunity for the media to to chat to both sides. For Auckland f C, I see there's still a hold up with their final import. We all know this is the Colombian attack in Neda Modno, have you got any idea why this is taking so long.
Speaker 3: Now I'm understanding it's something to do with with his visa not being approved yet and he's got to do some final medicals and things like that. But you know, hearing some strong male that it's all buck confirmed, even from players aware of this, this winger coming into the team, so I mean, yeah, it could be any day, but I mean we're going to get to it. But we've heard, you know, just assigning today from the Phoenix, so hopefully, hopefully, yeah, we'll hear soon.
Speaker 2: Is he with the team? Has he arrived?
Speaker 3: I believe he has arrived and he was meant to be training today, but is injured. I feel like maybe Auckland f C don't want to jump the gun with this announcement because they did that with Alex Paulson before he was actually eligible to play, and they received a whole lot of comment from from the Wellington Phoenix and other clubs. So I just assume maybe they're they're holding off until they've finally got pen to paper.
Speaker 1: Which is fair enough. And look, if he's been here, like he may well have been here. I don't know this, but he may well. For example, he could have been here for the last six weeks and been training with him. There's nothing to stop that from happening. But well, the reason I asked question is if he's only just just arrived and as you've just told us there is injured, he's unlikely to be there in the first game, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, And and I don't think if you're Steve Coroker you want to bring anyone in this late and the piece to start the match, like aut least maybe he was training today. That's a good, good week, a good probably five or six sessions with the team. But yeah, it is certainly a late call to bring someone when bring someone in when stuff's already gelling.
Speaker 1: So well, we're going to play a couple of snippets of interviews you did with Steve Coricker and also Dan halland just a moment. Auckland f C have one final warm up game this weekend or final preseason game. They play the Malaysian national team, which is a good game for them to play. That's of course, before they take on the All Whites on Monday at Albany. And I see today news through that the port which is the you know, like the yellow fever, I guess of Auckland FC.
Speaker 2: The active support.
Speaker 1: Has sold out for the opening game and from the sounds of it, not just the p but the whole ground is close to being sold out.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Last I heard at the start of the week at the launch, Nick Becker was saying over twelve thousand tickets sold. They must have had a massive shift put in this week since since then, and no doubt as the media coverage picks up between now and kickoff, more tickets will sell. And I was talking to the Wellington Phoenix as well, how positive it is, you know, having these derbies now and having a lot more interest on the two New Zealand A League teams. How great that's going to be financially for these two clubs. I mean we talked about it last season where the Phoenix couldn't make any money off their sellout game because it was in a playoff and it goes to the A League. So to sell out a game or you know, get close to a sellout can really set these teams up for the season.
Speaker 2: So it's going to be exciting, absolutely right.
Speaker 1: And while I get the feeling the Phoenix in particular through Gianclo Ataliano are really trying to douse any hype around the derby by saying, hey, it's it's just another game, I feel like Auckland f C Are embracing it. And maybe that's because they're the new boys and and you know it's a bit different for them and that it's all exciting and all new. I remember Chief last year though, even when they had wins against you know, he asked him if a game was a six pointer when they were playing against a team that was above them or around them on the table. He was always at pains to say, every game is worth three points. It doesn't matter wh're playing the top of the table, bottom of the table, or a Derby match. They're all worth the same number of points to us. But so so really, I feel like the Derby is for the fans, you know. And and yes, though I'm sure the players will love playing in front of, you know, a Derby crowd as well, but I feel like the excitement around the Derby's will be among the respective fan bases. And I just love the fact that it's that, you know, that the shit are starting to get thrown between the two.
Speaker 2: That's what a Derby is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, And it was so interesting at the launch on Monday interviewing you know, people out of the AFC camp and then people out of the Knicks and the complete contrast and mood around that, you know, it was excitement and yeah, yeah, looking forward to it. Can't wait from AFC and then the Knicks, as you say, Chief is just say, oh yeah, it's just another game. Won't be too excited until we step out on the pitch. And I love that that's Chief's way about him. I've always really enjoyed kind of watching that. But at the same time, having the players and Chief ee buy into it and you know, keep up with that banter wouldn't hurt. And I think that would obviously help the likes of ticket sales and things like that. So I hope, you know, when we get round to that week, we see the week of the derby, we see, you know, the attitudes pick up towards it.
Speaker 2: I think that will happen. I think that will absolutely happen. You're right.
Speaker 1: I think at the moment, Wellington Phoenix have to focus on Western United and then a trip away to Perth for Auckland FC, couple of home games. Their opening game has been raw, and then sit in the FC which is a derby of sorts with Steve Corriker his former team of course, and then the derby. So yeah, I get the feeling you're right that once we get past those first two games to derby week, it'll really start to ramp up.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: It's all here from Dan Hall, one of Auckland FC's central defenders, coming of course from Central Coast Mariners, where he's a back to back a league champion. You spoke to him during the week on Monday in fact, and asked him, first of all, how Auckland compares to Gosford.
Speaker 5: I don't rate the beaches here as much as the Central Coast beaches, to be fair. I've only been I've only been to Takapuna Beach and it wasn't It wasn't on a very good day. But besides that, that's probably football wise. You know, it is very similar where I came from. You know, we worked hard here, we work hard, so there's a lot of similarities.
Speaker 3: What's like the messaging from the team this season is it? You know, are we focused on winning? What's like the what's the goal of the season for the team?
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure, we want to win. We're not here to make up the numbers, I think, and I think that's with everyone here. We're a team of winners and that's what we want to do. And I guess come the nineteenth we'll put that into action.
Speaker 4: What are you feeling this?
Speaker 3: Just rivalry with the Wellington Phoenix start to kick off. Obviously it'll be more key for the Kiwi players, but are you feeling that as well?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I'm buying into that culture obviously now that I'm here in Auckland, I want to represent the community. But as I said, we may not have like the direct ties to Auckland versus Wellington, but I think it's also you have to buy into that culture and that rivalry. So I think it's good for New Zealand football.
Speaker 3: And when you go back to play Central Coast is that going to be tough?
Speaker 4: Do you find a rivalry within you as well?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think so. I grew up with a lot of a lot of those boys, so playing there for six years, I definitely think it's a bit of a like a sibling rivalry in a way. So that's definitely one game I want to win.
Speaker 1: That is Dan Hall speaking to Bonnie earlier this week, and Bonnie also spoke to Steve Coriker hit chob Aukland f C ask them if it's settled on are starting eleven for the opening game in a week or.
Speaker 6: So, be pretty close to if everyone's fit. I sort of have an idea of what we want to do, you know, one or two players. Maybe there's you know, we'll just see how they go in the next couple of weeks. But it's been really surprising as well. I think there's a really good blend of players that we've got some young, good young boys that are actually going to get better as the season goes along. We've got some good experienced players as well, and then you've got that middle group also, that sort of great age group that you know are really good for the squad.
Speaker 3: Do you feel a responsibility that you have to play the players?
Speaker 4: Is that challenging, like managing that or things like that.
Speaker 6: No, I, you know, I don't think we have to play them. We expect them to be at a higher level because they're the you know, the foreign players. I think it's important that you get your foreign players right. You don't always, you know, it's never easy to bring in players and see if they're going to settle. And obviously they're going to be at a very good level, but there might be times that you know, one or two of them might miss out and we go with you know, a younger KII boy or something like that. So yeah, there's no expectations that they're going to play. They have to fight for their spot as well and make sure that they're the best player in that position.
Speaker 3: On the contrary, with the New Zealand players as well as there, do you feel like you have to play them because it's a New Zealand.
Speaker 6: Team, Well, not really. They obviously we want you know, we've got a really good blend of k BI boys. We've got younger boys and more experienced ones. We've got eighteen out of the twenty six, so there's a good chance that a lot of them, some of them are going to be playing. So but yeah, at the same you know, we want them to do well. Obviously we're New Zealand club and from Auckland and a lot of our players are from Auckland and playing in front of family. But they have to be playing well and doing the right job for the team. That's the main thing for me. All right.
Speaker 1: That's Steve Coraica speaking to you earlier this week. Interesting point he made about or the innswering question you asked Hi about the imports and the Kiwi's. I guess theoretically, Bonnie, he could play. He could play eight outfield players who are not Kiwi's. Let's say Alex Paulson's and goal, or Michael vaud or Joe Noles, they're they're all Kiwi's, so a Kiwi in goal, but he could feasibly if he wanted to play eight non Kiwi's outfield. How likely do you think it is that he will want to play some Kiwi's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think looking at the roster, some of the some of the Kiwi's he's signed, and some of those all whites in particular, are all but guaranteed stunning spots. I mean, there's good players you look at the likes of Nando who's come back, Francis DeVries who's got all whites, caps, Logan Rogerson as well. But at the same time, Yeah, we've talked about this on the podcast before and how you kind of feel like, even though Steve core I said somewhat of the opposite just now, you kind of feel like you have to play these import players otherwise, as you say, why do they have them? So, yeah, I was keen to ask that question just to hear what goes through a coach's mind in terms of is there some sort of responsibility to play these imports versus the Kiwi players being a Kii team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you've landed exactly on the players who are most likely to play. Nando I think is almost a locket on the left side of central defense. I think Francis Devrez has probably got the inside running at left back. You know, Logan Rogerson has got a bit of a competition in the attacking positions.
Speaker 2: Clearly we're going to have a Keiwi goalkeeper.
Speaker 1: But even Cam Howison, you know, we talked about this last week, he's not really guaranteed a spot in central midfield. If Galagos and Vrastrate end up being you know, pretty competent players, of course, it all depends really on how they go. We haven't seen these players in the A League yet, and as always with imports in the A League, you can't make a judgment until you've seen them play. Same with the Phoenix imports as well. So yeah, be very interesting to see how Steve Corikan negotiates that. But the good thing is that he hasn't stacked his squad with Australians, which he could have done if he'd wanted to. He's only got the three Dan Hall, Scott Galloway, Jake Brimmer. I think Brimmer probably plays and Hall probably does as well. Think Scott Galloway's maybe less likely with competition the full wack spots. But I like the fact that that rather than bring in a bunch of Australians who he knows from previous clubs and having played against them, I like the fact he's got a bunch of Kiwis in there.
Speaker 2: It's a good move.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, just hearing him then eighteen out of twenty six are Kiwis. That's pretty cool. I think that was the number. The other thing that it will be interesting in terms of determining spots and as you say, Cam Hallison another potentially fringe player, whether he's going to start or come off the bench, but it's who he's going to name captain. You know, you immediately look at the squad and go, oh, Tommy Smith. But then he's also not guaranteed a starting spot at center back. The other captain would be someone like Cam Howison. Again he's not guaranteed a spot in the midfield. So that's going to be another really interesting call. And when we hear that news, we're going to know, you know, who's probably likely to start.
Speaker 2: You know, who do you reckon it'll be?
Speaker 3: I mean originally I would have seen Cam Howison, but then looking at the squad the other day and he wasn't in that starting lineup or what I felt was the starting lineup, I'm not sure. Probably my next bet goes to someone like Nando or maybe Ap, but AP might be.
Speaker 4: A bit young.
Speaker 1: I reckon, it's a rocky sukey, you reckon yep, ah, Yeah, he's got the experience, he'll play every week. Yes, there's that language barrier obviously, and that he's you know, an important player, but it's not unheard of for an import to lead a side less He's Davila was the captain of MacArthur when he went across there, so yeah, I get the feeling. And even seeing him at that media session on Monday where Rufer was there for Wellington and Sarkai for Auckland FC, true, I kind of feel like he'should captain.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean he's not probably the most experience playing for the Japan national team, so yeah, he's a great guy as well. The language is definitely a barrier. I mean I spoke with him and it's not that that should matter if football is a language of its own, but that would be my only maybe hesitancy with it in terms of how that would go within the team. But yeah, he'd be great.
Speaker 2: Did Stevie Korkas say when he's going to name his captain?
Speaker 4: No, he didn't.
Speaker 3: Maybe leave it with me, Parney I or do some digging after we finished recording this podcast.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll see if we can find out who's going to wear the arm band for Auckland FC and lead them out on Saturday, October the nineteenth at Mount Smart Football Fever with Jason Vine and Bonnie Jensen. Let's go to the Wellington Phoenix, who just a couple of hours ago signed their final player for the upcoming season.
Speaker 2: We thought they were done.
Speaker 1: Actually we thought they actually had their their roster complete when they signed Jaden Smith on a scholarship deal or a three year deal with a couple of years scholarship, the towering center back. But it turns out they had one more signing up their sleeve.
Speaker 2: Steph M.
Speaker 1: Kolakovski, former championship winner in the A Leagues with Melbourne City, spent last year at Perth Glory. Quite good mates with Olie Sale by the sounds of things. They headed off over there, had the chance to speak to Stephan Kolokovsky just a couple of hours ago, asked them how this all came about.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it all happened pretty quickly. But Chief was keen and Ols keen, so we've got it done as quick as possible.
Speaker 1: So it's the situation. There was an offer on the table in Europe something like that. Can you tell us the background?
Speaker 7: Yeah, not to dwelve into it too much, but maybe I was a bit naive to trust trust the wrong person, and maybe you know, I've got no shame in saying that I wanted to get to Europe. I think any footballer that's the level that they want to get to. But it couldn't work out this off season, which is completely fine, and now I'm just fully focused on achieving with the Phoenix.
Speaker 1: Tell us about your conversations with Chief.
Speaker 2: What have they consisted of?
Speaker 7: Yeah, to be fair, we haven't spoken too much about tactics or anything. He was just keen to get me here, and like I said, it happened quickly, so yeah, just get here first and then we'll talk about, you know, the football sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: You've obviously played in Wellington in opposition, Colors City in Perth, Glory and looking forward to actually being a home player in front of the Yellow Fever.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I was actually talking with some of the boys and some of the staff before even like watching on TV that semi final. The crowd was just was amazing and to be fair, all of last season and before so and the Yellow Fever fantastic. So I'm looking forward to to the eightieth minute then ripping the shirts off that that's going to be exciting.
Speaker 2: In position once, what is your favorite position?
Speaker 7: Good question? Now anywhere an attack striker, both a City and at Perth. I've played strike, I've played winger, so left all right, honestly doesn't FaZe me. I just want to get on the pitch, score goals, create chances and win games most importantly, so I don't really care what position.
Speaker 1: That's Stefan Kolakovsky good signing. I always liked him at Melbourne City and at Perth Glory. Actually just seemed like he didn't get a heck of a lot of opportunity to really lock down a starting spot. I think of his seventy A League games, only twenty two were starts, and fifteen of those were last year. So in his first four seasons of a league he started seven games, so yeah, I'm quite looking forward to seeing what he's got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, definitely, it's I think it's a great pickup for Chief ye, and he sounds from that interview he sounds quite hungry for, you know, to come into the side with a bit of energy and drive, and he knows the history of the club or some of it by the sounds of it. So yeah, I think I think great signing.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and he's he said that he chatted to Oli Sail about it, and Ol he only had good things to say about Wellington. And then Chief did some media as well, and the sentence that stood out for me from Chiefs media talking about Stephan Kohlakovski was that he believes he can be one of the best attackers in the A League. You know, of course, you're going to say that about anyone you bring to your club, but he has got a he has got a knack Chief of getting the most out of players, and you know, obviously having Kolakovski helps initially too, because we learned during the week that Marko Rojas will miss the first one, possibly two games, hopefully back for the derby. The first derby in week three, stress fracture that they're trying to manage at the moment. Interesting to re Chief say that in the release about Kolakovski that they're very keen to build their team around Marco, so he's clearly a massive part of their of their strategy this coming season. But you know, Kolakofski, I'm not saying it's a similar kind of player, but he's an attacking player who might help to ease that initially anyway. So yeah, it's exciting times. The away strip has been unveiled, Bonnie, you've seen it the Chark Hole.
Speaker 2: Do you like it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I don't mind it because they didn't really have a home and away last year, or they kept changing and would play in their all black kits, so I think, yeah, it's nice that they've gone for the home kit yellow and the away kit charcoal black.
Speaker 2: Yep, like it.
Speaker 1: And finally for the Phoenix, they have an intersquad game this weekend. They're done with all of their travel across to Australia for the preseason games. They will playing into squad game this weekend and prepare themselves for their opening match against Western United on Sunday, October twenty four o'clock at sky Stadium just.
Speaker 2: Before we leave the Alex.
Speaker 1: You did you see the new Alex commercial, the one that's been online over the last couple of days.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 3: I saw that you shared it Piney, and I had goosebumps watching it. I thought it was so cool. The only criticism I had was that they said Australia's League and they didn't really have like a mention about New Zealand, although there was a lot of Phoenix content in there.
Speaker 4: It was is like Australia's League, But I guess it is Australia's League.
Speaker 1: Well it's and you know, I guess, look it's I kind of thought that too, But I just thought the whole production of it and the fact that they basically haven't shied away from the fact that the league is not perfect, and that it's that it's imperfections are almost what make it so attractive. You know, it doesn't. I think for a while the A League has tried to be something that it's not. You know, in all its imperfections, I think you find something really special, and you know, there are good players playing in this league, men's and women's. There are there is excitement, there's jeopardy, every week. You don't know from week to week who's going to win. It's not like you know, the Premier League where Manchester City just won it every year, or similar competitions around the world where one team just dominates all the time. Scotland, it's Celtic or Rangers or nobody. You know, last year, everybody thought the Phoenix toil the bottom two. They finished top two. And that's just one small example over the twenty years. I thought, I thought, you know that that the A League really, you know, hit the jackpot with this with this piece of advertising. If you haven't seen it, just just search up A league's pre season commercial or something on socials you'll find it. But yeah, I really liked it, and I like the fact that it almost played on the fact that it wasn't perfect, it wasn't elite Premier League stuff, but it was.
Speaker 4: We own it. We own it, Yeah, we do.
Speaker 2: That's a good way of putting it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, looking forward to the A League starting in about eight days next weekend on the pod or next week on the pod. Rather, we'll do our I think we should do our table positions, our finishing table position for what they're worth. Just saying it's impossible to predict anyway, but we'll have a crack. We'll have a crack on the podcast next week.
Speaker 2: Football Fever.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the All Whites. They have a couple of games coming up. Their first World Cup qualified tomorrow against Tahiti and Vanuatu should win this easily. What are you hoping to see? What are you expecting to see three o'clock tomorrow afternoon.
Speaker 3: Well, I want to see Alex Paulson and goal firstly, because we haven't seen that and I feel like he is very much deserving of, you know, wearing the number one jersey and I think this is a really good opportunity for him to and saying that I would like to see the strongest squad available fielded. I don't think we, you know, even though we're probably the heavy strong favorites going into this game. I want to start our World Cup qualifiers with a bang, and you know, no guarantees. Yes, as I mentioned, with favorites to secure that ticket to the World Cup, but let's start strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree.
Speaker 1: I think you put the best possible team out there and try and win it, and win it well, flex your muscles early on.
Speaker 2: If you're not going to bring.
Speaker 1: If you're going to bring guys like Chris Wood and Libby Kihachi and Marco Stamin, it's back. You know, what point is it them sitting on the bench, summing, sunning themselves in the in the Vanuatu sunshine. They should be out there playing. Look, if you're going to mix it up, I do that on Monday when they play Malaysia in a friendly match. But yeah, flex your muscles. Be the big dogs in Oceania. Win and win well, and and you know, go charging into the World Cup. Don't go sort of you know, stumbling or meekly wandering into World Cup qualification.
Speaker 2: Do it, you know, do it with some pinash and some style.
Speaker 3: No exactly, And that you know we've New Zealand, both the All Whites and the football Ferns have been you know, we don't help ourselves being in this this confederation and playing these Pacific island nations. You know, all due respect to them, it's not ideal for us. And so you know, as you say, Pine, inflexing your muscles, starting strong and going into a World Cup in two years time, you know, in the in the best best form we're in and we've got players gelling that's going to be so important. So yeah, I hope they go out with the bang.
Speaker 1: I don't think you'll see Alex Pulson and goal tomorrow, you know, I reckon no. I just think Max Crokum's done nothing to be dropped and Bays has shown a loyalty to him, which I like for goalkeepers that if you unless you play yourself out, you're in. And I think in those games against Mexico in the US, apart from the first Mexico goal, I think he had two really good games. Max Crokam, he's clearly down Baselely's number one. I think you're gonna have to wait till Monday night against Malaysia to see Alex Paulson out. The The other thing is Crokeam's in season. Alex Paulson is not in season at the moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I wonder as well if there'll be some comms between the two Auckland of Auckland FC and the Phoenix about racing those players on Monday, because I remember chief he last year and I kind of got similar feelings from him this time that you know, he's not too excited by the fact that this window's super close to a league kickoff, so maybe, as you say, we won't see someone like Alex Paulson and goal who will be saving himself for that opener on the following satur.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but what do goalkeepers really do?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: They're not running around eleven or twelve k are they?
Speaker 2: They just stand between the sticks.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I want to see Alex, you know I do Pineys, so I'm all for it.
Speaker 4: I don't mind.
Speaker 1: I think I will see one Monday night. I think he'll play on Monday night.
Speaker 3: I do. If he doesn't play this window, I'm going to be reaching out to Darren Base.
Speaker 2: He're gonna storm the he can to storm.
Speaker 3: The We're getting him on the We're getting him on Football for Feet of a podcast.
Speaker 1: We're demanding an explanation, demanding an explanation from him. Yeah, I think we both agree that regardless of the lineup they put out though, though should comfortably account for Tahiti as they should for Vanuatu and some more when they come up against them in November. But like I say, make a statement, be the big dogs in this, you know, in this to mix my metaphors in this pond of Oceania, be the big shark that comes in and just devours everybody and charges into the World Cup, gets some confidence, gets guys some caps and some goals and yeah, and.
Speaker 3: New Zealand football hasn't you know, had a great run in the media recently with the football firms, So it'd be great to bring some you know, football positivity back to New Zealand, especially when they play Malaysia here on on Monday night. You know, even I think that game is going to be tough for them, as it will Auckland nef C and a friendly, but you know, just just try and get some goals. We need, we need some positive positivity. We need the fans engage. We need to love football again.
Speaker 1: And I think also to those outside the main sorry that those are the mainstream, outside the football fans who will watch the All Whites, you know, regardless, for if the All Whites score five or six tomorrow, then all of a sudden, five or six goals are on the news. Same with Malaysia if they're scoring goals. If people wake up on Tuesday morning and hear that the All Whites have thumped Malaysia for Nilla or whatever it is, it's a far better storyline than a scratch you one all draw you know. So yeah, so go out there, beat your chest, be the big shark in the pond, certainly in the World Cup qualifiers and charge through the next few months and hopefully on towards the World Cup.
Speaker 2: Football.
Speaker 1: It's of a look at Kee he's playing overseas. I've got a bunch of male players who have picked out. I think Kate Taylor's doing okay in France though by the looks of things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she played a full ninety for Dejon and a Tuner win last weekend. It's their first victory in the French Premier League this woman's season and is kind of midweek for the woman so not too much action.
Speaker 4: But shout out to C. J.
Speaker 3: Bott and an elite whose clubs Leicester and Aston Villa are going head to head this weekend in the Women's Super League.
Speaker 4: I think that's early hours Monday morning.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. Look forward to those two going head to head. Speaking of head to head, some key weis went head to head in the USL, which is the one below the mL East in the United States. James Mooser and Elliott Collier both played for Indy eleven up against Lodoon. Riley bidwoit plays for them and James Muser got the winning goal right near the end. He came off the bench scored the winning goal, So bragging rights for James Moosa and Elliott Collier against Riley Bidwa. Three guys outside of the all whites environment at the moment, but still playing professionally in the United States. Chris Wood got another goal, his fourth of the season for Forrest. Seventy three goals now in the Premier League. That's the same number as Earling Harland. He's taken a few more games, Chris Wood, but he's still level with Harland. Eli just got a goal for his new Austrian club, Saint Paulton, his first for his new club. He's there on loan. Good goal too, in a four to two win. Ben Old is getting plenty of minutes for Saint Ettie En ninety minutes in fact, when they beat Oxshier three to one in their latest League one Again Ryan Thomas. I was so pleased to see this Ryan Thomas back on the grass, his first minutes since last December he played for Pexwaller in the Netherlands. My eternal hope, Bonnie, is that we see Ryan Thomas play some part in this All Whites World Cup campaign or at the World Cup itself. His has been a career that has just been absolutely devastated by injury. For a player of his talent to play so seldom for Zealand has been just a probably for me, the biggest shame of the last four to eight years for the All Whites, just such a shame he hasn't been able to play more often.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I completely agree Pine, He's such a missed opportunity. And I think the thing we forget with the All Whites because potentially they don't play in as many pinnacle events as the football ferns do. They also have they also struggle to score goals and it's been such a fault for New Zealand football over the last kind of decade and I think Ryan Thomas being a Ford and him being in and out has really you know, it's made it difficult for the All Whites to gain any momentum up there. So yeah, we'd love to see him back in the mix soon.
Speaker 1: And Jay Herdman as well is the other one. A goal and an assist for Cavalry in Canada, where he is currently on loan. Let's finish with our National League National League Women. This is already pretty even after two rounds. Nobody has two wins. There are five teams who have got a win and a draw to sit there on four points, so pretty ingested early on. Canterbury United Pride and West Coast Rangers are two of those sides who have four points from two games. They play midday Saturday at English Park. Are they I mean, are they two of the sides? Clearly they are early on. But could Canterbury United or West Coast Rangers, if they get a good win this weekend, be the one who starts to make a bit of a break on the field.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so. I think.
Speaker 3: I think it's great firstly that no teams have had two wins yet it keeps the competition, you know, up for grabs. I would say West Coast Rangers will pull ahead. They you know, are pretty strong, pretty strong Auckland side, but who knows. Canterbury have been so great historically, so maybe it's another good good season for them.
Speaker 1: She'll mentioned Waterside Corori as well. In round one they had that one all draw with Auckland United and we know how strong Auckland United Are and then last weekend in their second game they put five past the Wellington Phoenix reserves. So Waterside Corori off to a very very good start. This weekend they travel up to take on your club, Eastern Suburbs on Sunday.
Speaker 2: So I mean, are Eastern Suburbs any chance?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I back Corori in this one. Yeah, sorry, Eastern Suburbs. I think the squad of Carori is really strong this year. They've been great in the Central League. As you just mentioned. The results they got against Auckland United was pretty pretty incredible. Eastern Suburbs just haven't looked as strong as they have in the past.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I back Coror.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, look out for that with interest and to see what your reception is at the Eastern Suburbs clubrooms next time you pop in there. And the Men's National League, Auckland City two from two they're the only side with two wins from two matches. Last weekend Western Springs beat Coastal Spirit six ' to two. This is a Coastal Spirit side that drew nilall with Wellington Olympic in the first game and looked really good defensively. All of a sudden, Western Springs have put six past them, and the Wellington Phoenix went down to Crows Up against Kashmir Tech who are you know, always there or thereabouts and National League conversations and beat them four nil. So plenty of goals and unexpected score lines. Wellington Olympic they kind of need to get a bit of a move on actually having lost in round two. They've only got the one point from two games. And they've got Eastern Suburbs men coming to Wellington on Saturday for a game at Martin Lucky Park. So what about your Eastern Suburbs men? Are they any good?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, I actually called the game on the weekend between the Eastern Suburbs and APR City Rovers, and again Eastern Suburbs have quite a young men, so they aren't as strong as what they've looked in the past. They've also just lost their coach, Kane Winters girl to overseas opportunity I think in Qatar, so they lost him midweek last week, so they'll go the remainder of the season without him, who's had a major influence. Yeah, it'll be interesting though. I wouldn't released in Suburbs out against Wellington and they've clearly had a bird of a shaky start, but yeah, knowing them, I expect they'll come out very strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, losing to Auckland City, which is you know, obviously no disgrace repeat of the Chatham Cup final, but one nil to Auckland City on this occasion. I see Stipe Ukitch got the goal. I'm so interested to see where he goes a such an I.
Speaker 3: Know why he isn't signed for Auckland f C. Yeah, yeah, are they fall Maybe?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think they're full, but I'm just I'll just check. I think they've got ano. They've cost space. They've got twenty six players, seven of them scholarship, so they've got space. If they want them. It may well be they bring them in at some stage. Maybe they bring them in the January window or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, definitely, maybe I do some digging after this podcast.
Speaker 1: It sounds like going to be doing quite a bit of that digging for digging for all sorts of like the captain of Auckland f C, why Stipe Ukitch isn't isn't signed by them, and also some digging of a whole outside Eastern suburbs clubrooms that you can want to because you don't rate your chances.
Speaker 4: Ah, I don't relay that. I don't relay that.
Speaker 1: All right, that's us on the Football Fever Podcast for another week. This time next week we'll be back. We'll do a we'll do a Thursday edition next week so that we can take in the All Whites two matches and then give our latter predictions. And then from the start of the A League season we'll go back to our regular Monday podcast where we can review the weekend's action of both Auckland FC and Wellington Phoenix. And then in a month or so when the women start playing as well. It's a jam packed summer ahead. Enjoy your week, Bonnie.
Speaker 4: Not long to go now, so excited Parney.
Speaker 2: We'll see you then the FFF with Penny and Bonnie