Speaker 1: Live from the Export Bear Garden Studios. You're listening to the BYC and I can tell you where stoke to be back as we look forward to the summer of cricket ahead. A shame then, that we should kick it off with an absolute debarcle that was the Afghanistan Test. And while we can admire the innovation shown to dry out what amounted to a swamp, it was a disappointment that an historic occasion was ruined in such a fashion. But fear not, there's plenty to come, including Thisra Lankans, though it seems mother Nature may have something to say there as well. And fell as it's been an age Dyllan Cleaver.
Speaker 2: It's been so long that this entire studio has changed. It has beneath our feet, has very clean lines now very Swedish, Scandinavian, very yeah, corporate.
Speaker 1: Yes, I feel quite uncomfortable in it.
Speaker 2: I know you keep looking over my shoulder here. I keep thinking I'm missing something.
Speaker 1: Well, I was just trying to remember what the name of the studio was. Paul Ford your barst how's life?
Speaker 3: It's good, Jason, it's good. Spring is nearly sprung at Wellington and it's probably about three months away, I think, and then we'll be ready for cricket season down here. But good news, we're ripping into it over in Gaul very soon. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just on spring. Actually, interesting fact about spring. I don't know if you know this, Dylan, that spring doesn't officially start till the twenty third of September. I always thought it started at the very beginning of September, but it's actually the twenty third.
Speaker 2: No, it's on the equinox, which is either the twenty second or the twenty third or the twenty first, depending on when the right. Okay, the Earth is exactly halfway distant, and it's access to the sun. But do you know there's a.
Speaker 1: Well this is fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a very cunning way of getting yourself twenty one extra days of summer. So you adhere to the strict calendar interpretation of the seasons. So spring starts on September first, summer starts on December the first, but then you switch to the actual technical scientific equinox things, and you don't go into autumn until March twenty second.
Speaker 1: Give you two days this summer fascinating.
Speaker 3: Can you just go through it again?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: This is what people tune in for totally.
Speaker 3: Astronomy season season chat.
Speaker 1: Now New Zealanders is Shri Lanka that starts today, right, yes, yeah, and the weather forecast, as you briefly mentioned there, Paul Forward not looking great. For God say, let's not have more Shenanigans.
Speaker 3: No, that's right, but you know, there's always a result at Gaul, so we shouldn't be too despondent about that. And there is a slightly bizarre situation with this test match given the scheduling. First of all in monsoon season, albeit at the sort of bitter end of it. But it's a six day test. We've got a rest day plank on Saturday because it is the Sri Lankan presidential elections, so there's extra day so everyone can bigger off and vote than the New Zealand boys can get absolutely steamed on Friday night, so they to themselves perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I've got a lotit. I'm massively looking forward to it, and it begs the question, and now that the BYC is back, of course, where are we at New Zealand. You know, I was thinking about the end of last season and it was not a great end to the sea. It wasn't a great season all round. We talked often about changes and you know what needs to happen, because it felt like we were sliding a little bit. Where are you with the New Zealand side at the moment, Dylan.
Speaker 2: It felt like a kind of dribbly old season.
Speaker 1: Yes, it did.
Speaker 2: Never really amounted too much. Well, I can tell you where we're officially at, if that helps. Sure, we're officially third on the WTC table, which is the world tiest championship obviously, but it is a misleading third.
Speaker 1: I'm staggered by that.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we're at fifty percent, where New Zealand does really well. And this is something to really be proud of, Like your chest fills up with this amazing feeling, groundswell of goodwill and good feeling. We're very good at not getting any points deductions for slow overrates. That's the strongest part of our game at the moment. So where you've got a team like England that has played sixteen tests one eight of them, they've actually got a better than fifty percent record, they have a massive nineteen point deduction for overrates, so well behind US. Australia has big deductions for overrates but they're still well ahead of us. Really, we have to win in Sri Lanka to give ourselves any chance of qualifying for that final, and we've got two tests at a venue. Gul Paul may correct me if I'm wrong on this, that we have had no success at or very little success at Gaul over the years of I think we do all right in Colombo, but not so well at the fortified city of Gaul.
Speaker 3: I think that is exactly right when you are talking about the world example of a Ford city bought. But as you would know, of course, Jase by the Portuguese the World Heritage site. Yeah, look, it's going to be tough. I think you know, Sri Lanka at Homer are bloody tough. And that goal there, I think we're zero and four something like that. And yeah, Dylan, as you say, in terms of that World Test Championship cycle, we've only played six of the fourteen matches that were set to play and we've got a really, really tough set. We would have would have had a nice warm up about against Afghanistan that we can talk about in a minute. Sri Lanka are really the entre before a very very chewy main course over in India and so really we need to probably win you know, five of the next eight tests really really difficult given tour in Sri Lanka and then three in India. Jase, you were talking about the fact that it's been a long time between drinks. It's about it's one hundred and ninety one days since we played Test cricket.
Speaker 2: That is crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And just to bring you down, can I remind you of what happened the last delivery that New Zealand played Test cricket. See us to Cummins four runs, the Captain's done. It opens the face to elect all punches it through point lets out of raw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm still spewing about that particular Test match. You're right then, and we should have won it, you know, And it isn't concern to me, and I don't know how you fellas feel about it. We're coming in cold. You know. Sri Lanka's obviously had this series against England, a great final Test match victory. That all does not go well for us in that regard playing in their conditions as well. It would be fair to say then I think we are significant underdogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're right. If I can just bring the mood down even a little bit more. I guess we'll talk about the probable eleven soon, but these four players will definitely play it, and that is Conway, Lathan, Mitchell and Blundell. That is kind of the four of our top six that Conway's averaging seventeen point seven in his last Test innings, Latham's averaging twenty four point seven, that's not great as an opening peer. Blundell, who was just such a reliable keeper batsman, is just having a terrible run of it, averaging ten point three to three in his last Test ten Test innings. And the one that might have gone under the radar a little bit is New Zealand's number one ranked cricketer and justifiably so, but he's just come down to earth a little bit recently, and that's old Dasid. Mitchell was yes, only averaging thirty two point four, which is not awful, but it's not the sort of stratospheric heights that were being used to him. So really we're only going in with Cain Williamson and Retch and Revendra have got any kind of recent red ball form behind them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I'll tell you what, Kay Williamson doesn't have, and that's red ball form in Sri Lanka. Against Sri Lanka he averages twenty six. Versus Sri Lanka in New Zealand he averages one hundred and fourteen. So it looks good on paper, you know, averaging seventy eight overall. But his record in Srilanka is shiphouse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on, fel let's have a bit of faith.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is miserable, this is terrible. I'so remember the one hundred that came Williamson got, which was a brilliant one hundred with Ross Taylor, Russ Taylor's arts tested captain in a test New Zealand one entry link.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also you want to check into the next too, just to bring us down again. You know, we're notoriously bad against spin in the past, so it's going to be a challenge. But let's look at the likely eleven, shall we. And I also believe, you know, players such as Conway, he's got the ability to turn things around, he's got the experience and we know he's a quality player. Pedigree, pedigree, thank you, certainties for this eleven Conway, Lathan Williamson, Ravendra, Mitchell, Blundell, Salviy Yep.
Speaker 2: He will definitely play the first, yes, Skipper. Yeah, and Tim he might not play all six coming up, but he will definitely play this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. Because there was a bit of chat about Tim Salvey at the end of that last season. Really is you know, he's coming towards the end of his career and I think he played a bit of county cricket, hasn't he.
Speaker 2: Played the hundred? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he said he's feeling really good. He acknowledged actually that he wasn't playing that great at the end of the season, and you know, he's the sort of player that knows this game pretty well, so hopefully he can turn it around.
Speaker 2: Good record in Asia too.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, your thoughts on this? There are certainties to you, Paul.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think I think that's right. I mean I'd probably put Phillipson as a certainty as well, and I think a JS Patel as well as an absolute certainy to play. But yeah, really it really comes down for me to you know, who's the extra pace bowler in which spinnar you want to go with?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all the possibilities there, of course, Glenn Phillips, Sant Bracewall, Mad Henry willow Rat, Michael Sears and a JS battalion. It's one of those scenarios just looking at it on the bowling front, because you're in Sri Lanka. Do you just chuck in and just stack it with spinners? And is that the way to go about it or is that a I think so? Yeah, I guess you do. Really don't two seamers. I think Sow there will be one. You're choosing between Raw, Henry and.
Speaker 2: Sears. I think probably for the first yest they go with the experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've got to go Henry, I think.
Speaker 3: But man of the Series against Australia, so you know, good form six and a half months ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I definitely think you do have to do that though having said that, jeez, I was tremendously excited by willow Raw before he got injured. I thought, yeah, he's he's got something about him. But yeah, I think in this scenario you go experience, you get Henry in there, and you're just chuck in as many spinners as you can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, throwing spinners against the wall really and seeing which one stick. So I'm pleased that pulses. He think that Agaz is a definite. I would love to see him in there. I just know they just do funny things with spinners. They tend to pick the guy they think we'll get them more runs rather than the guy that get your wickets, get them wickets.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The other thing on that is that you know, with Ranganahirath obviously in there as the spin bowling coach, you would expect that they're drilling in some some left arm spin there. So you know, stating there is probably the great beneficiary of that. You would assume that there that's a bit of a project that's been happening behind the scenes as well.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: My information when they went to do their rankings for this latest Central Contract list, my understanding is that they rated virtual Santner as the number one red Bull spinner in the country. So there you have it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I but in Gaul, Yeah, I think that, you know, I don't have a massive issue with that because I think Santaer did bowl well last last season, apart from against the Australians in that T twenty series where I thought he bowled like he was shipping his pants quite frankly, and it annoyed the crap out of me. And he's and you know, and in terms of you know, adding the runs to that requirement, you know, he's he's never done that enough. Yeah, he's a handy batsman. But yeah, who do who do we ultimately think they're going to go with from the bowling stocks.
Speaker 2: I think he's right. I think Phillips will get that screen all around her ahead of Michael Bracewell. I think he's probably a better uption with both bat and ball and in the field, so I think he's got the edge of the year, Henry. I think you're right. I think they'll go with him. I've got a funny feeling they will go Santa, I really do. Yeah, room one will spin. I've lost track.
Speaker 3: No, I think we're all right because you ended up with Latham, Conway, Williamson, Ravendra, Mitchell, Blundell, Phillips, and then Santna, Henry South and ajs Okay and so Bracewill misses out and well Young of course miss out. I think krick Info had that Henry Nichols was going to be bearing down on some statistical milestones and this selected. But he's actually not in the squad. So I'm going to be betting that that's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I'm pretty comfortable with that side. I think that's relatively solid. And let's not forget in terms of Phillips too, as a bit of a rando that performance in the second Test against Australia. Didn't he get a five.
Speaker 2: For first Test of the basin I was at.
Speaker 1: The first Test? Yeah, yeah, yeah, and he gives it a bit of a rip he does, so, you know, and as we know, he's buddy great in the field and he's more than handy and as we previously mentioned too, by the way, Dylan a great Sri Lanka coming off a great victory against the English.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was an amazing Test. It was much a bit of it on ICC TV actually, and yeah, hell of a surprise. I mean everything about that series looks like it was just going to be in England Waltz the victory. But there's some good players in that Sri Lanka team and they've got the guy who did didn't feature really over there about the guy pro Bath js Arara, I think the left arm spinner has got a phenomenal just like a Bonker's record a bowling in Sri Lanka, and they've got this t twenty convert that they've turned into a test better whose name has scapes me now. But it's Camindu Mendus, is it.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, Pascual, which is a great name, Pasqual.
Speaker 2: So he's just burst onto the scene and is scoring runs for fun. So it is not going to be easy. Can I just sorry? Can I just mention one thing about our spinners and our development?
Speaker 1: Sure, I just got this.
Speaker 2: It's this weird thing that we seem to be better at developing bits and pieces battery Bowldery type of spinners, your brace Wolves, your Phillips, your s then we are of actually developing our specialist spinners like our issues and our Eddie air Sharks, and I think you can go back to Nethula and those sort of guys. I think there's something a little bit broken in our system that we are valuing these kind of all roundery converts. Yes, I mean Phillips was a wicket keeper. Michael Bracewell was a wicket keeper, and Center's obviously talent. He could do anything. You could go to the Olympics for badminton, He's that talented. But I think our development has missed a trick with some of our specialist spinners, great stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's it's an interesting point. I guess it's just those New Zealand conditions again. You know, when do you get to bowl? If you're a specialist spinner that can't bat, you're just you're never going to be doing anything in a game. So you probably get melded into the into these the into that type of player through the conditions that we have in domestic cricket. Just going back to Pisul, come into Mendos just to make you love him a little bit more. Dylan as well, well he bowls left orthodox and right offspin. That's not a bad combination when you're a batting all rounder. Yeah, there are some bloody good players in the in the Sri Lankan team, as you say, for bath jas Area fifty three wickets in twelve innings at Gaul. That's scary. But weirdly they're a little bit like New Zealand. They've actually got a bunch of really good seamers at the moment. They've got a Setha Fernando, they've got Laharu Kumara, they've got Vishua Fernando, they've got Milan Rath Nayaka, they've got a whole bunch of guys and they've got to do the same as New Zealand. They've got to gall and gone, oh geez, We've just had a pretty decent finish to a tour in England and there's a couple of guys that are just not going to be selected because the conditions just don't suit them in Sri Lanka. So yeah, interesting. The other guy to keep an eye out is keep an eye on is of course the wicket keeper. Kusal Mendus will be blazing away probably at number seven, and a couple of the opening batter is of course very familiar with Frank Dimoth, Karuna Ratna and Pethandsunka, the guy who added magnificently in that third Test match. So yeah, they're going to be They have got a lot of guys that bowl a lot of spin and bat very similar to us. And let's not forget Angela. Matthews has a spectacular record against Zealand. I think he everage is better than fifty, very very good record against.
Speaker 1: That formidable Well, let's laid on the table then fellas the scores. Please, how do you see this turning out?
Speaker 2: I think we're going to cling on for a drawing this first, Yes, where they're assisted Ford.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I reckon. I think it'll be a result. I think we'll win one and lose one. I reckon it's going to be one. All yeah, I'm not sure which way around?
Speaker 1: Okay to zip to Sri Lanka?
Speaker 3: All right, geez, well about the length of the days.
Speaker 1: I'm not mucking around here, fellows. Um, all right, well tell you what we're going to do. We'll take a short break and then we'll come back and talk about the debacle that was the Afghanistan Test. Yes, welcome back to the b YC. Well, the cricket seasons actually started Dylan Clever against the Afghanistan's side, and what an absolute bloody shambles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not much happened in great annoyed way. Actually plenty happened in great annoyed Yes, nothing in terms of actual cricket. At times it was unintentionally hilarious, it was very funny. But then theadre for me for conditions was in terms of hosting will always be them running kiddy letter onto university overall in Dunedin to try and drive that ground out. But this will take some betting. The site of fans been held, your table fans, table fans been held horizontally.
Speaker 3: Then well one of them was not being held. It was literally just plugged and plugged into an extension cord out from the dressing room, plugged into a four plug and then the fans are literally laying directly on the grass. It's just unbelieve evable.
Speaker 2: It didn't work. I loved it when they just cut a whole bunch of turf out of out of a net. Yes, and for the mine and tried to stitch it together in less than ideal conditions on the field.
Speaker 3: It was. It was the good news. It was free to go and watch that game. So there were three thousand people in the stands on the first day, three thousand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I would have been quite entertaining to watch. Yeah, you know what I mean, because it was such It was such a debarkle, you know. And you're right about them cutting out, you know, if the game did go ahead, one of the players on the outfield could have been running and then disappearing into a hole somewhere. But it is my understanding though there's never been a test match played on that ground, has there No?
Speaker 2: So, and it probably never should be.
Speaker 1: It never should have been.
Speaker 2: So there was a worry beforehand. There was a talk of unseasonable monsoon like conditions.
Speaker 3: It rained for twenty three to twenty three.
Speaker 2: Days solid, right, it did. But I also read somewhere it might have even been on crick Info the Bible. I read a preview where the writer expressed serious doubt whether there'd be a bull bowled in that test. So like, this was a couple of days before the game, that's how poor the ground was. And you just shouldn't be playing test cricket on those sort of grounds. No, they can't handle rain. I mean, in this day and age, you should literally be able to have a ground flooded, drained, dried within a couple of hours and ready for cricket.
Speaker 1: Well you remember the debacle down in New Zealand. What's that ground there? McLean park, same thing and no drainage, get a bit of rain. It's like, oh, sorry, fellas, it's off, We're going to have to call it. But it was a shame on many levels Paul Forward. And also you know the New Zealanders would have been very keen to get some sort of head out before Sri Lanka and that never happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, it is an interesting one and I know that Dylan has talked about this a bit in the Bounce, But you know, there's the fact of the factors New Zealand would have loved to have played just at a purely practical cricketing level, yes, but I do think that the horrendous satirical conditions, comedic conditions that are greater noida, have saved them from a bit of quite a lot of controversy which didn't kind of emerge because the game didn't really get underway. And that is whether New Zealand should have been playing Afghanistan in the first place at all from a I guess a political standpoint, and you know, it's a deep and meaningful issue. Probably you know, we don't need to get into it a nauseum, but there is a sense of karma around this. You know, this match was going to go ahead kind of no matter what India doing some favors for Afghanistan. You know, you read into that what you're will New Zealander kind of minions in this situation, so kind of going along with it. It's been deafening the silence from the team around this. I think tim so out they say something like, you know, we just do what the boards tell us to do on the situation. Kind of fair enough in a way, But there are players around the world that I suspect would not have played this game. You know, I can't imagine that Usman Kawaja would be playing this test match, for example. So, yeah, it's an interesting one and an interesting conundrum, a really difficult situation. And I know that there's been comparisons made with South Africa and the Glen Eagles Agreement and all that kind of stuff. DC You've probably got some interesting insights on this one too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The only problem with the South Africa comparison, well, there's a few problems with it. It's not a particularly elegant comparison in some ways. In other ways it's perfect. You know, it's apparent regimes, and this is a way for the world to stand up against parent regimes is to boycott them, to not give them a chance to, I guess be part of the normal cycle of the world in terms of sport and politics and trade and that kind of thing. So, but the problem is that in South Africa you had a very a situation where every other African nation made it very clear they didn't want anyone having anything to do with South Africa. It's almost the opposite. Yeah, all the Asian cricket nations want the world to embrace Afghanistan cricket. So it's it is the same, same, but hellishly different as well.
Speaker 3: And let's not forget the ICC gave Afghanistan seventeen million dollars US to promote men's a women's cricket in the country. I mean, the whole thing is a shambles. Let's be honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a really tricky one. Yes, we'll leave it there. We'll leave it there now. The White Fans Fellas three match tea series against Australia starts tomorrow in McKay, a town named after John McKay, who invented the spring loaded stapler. Is it McKay or McKay mackay. Yeah, yeah, I don't have huge expectations here given how we were last season, Fells. Should we just call it now?
Speaker 2: I can tell you some of this is the White fan This is going to sound like a real burn, but there is a deeper issue at play here. The White Fans have played sixteen internationals in twenty twenty four. To date they have played ten to twenty eyes. They have won one and lost nine. They have wo six oly eyes. They have won one and lost five. Now all of them have been against England. They're about to go to Australia. I suspect they're going to get a handed to them there as well in this three match. But then they have to go on to the UAE for the Wealthy twenty. They get two warm up matches I believe, then they're into it on October against India. They in such poor form that really is there's just no depth there. I mean, they are playing players and it sounds like you're picking on them. But Georgia Plimer, Maddie Green is he gaze who just don't score runs and yet don't get dropped. They occupy their places almost as of right. It's just a really difficult position at the moment. I know Sophie Divine has announced that this will be her last tournament, has Skip or standing down. It feels like they're in a vortex of bad juju that they just cannot get out of, and I really can't see a way out of them out for them anytime soon. That's how negatively I feel about it, which is a shame because I mean, I'll watch the World T twenty, but I'm just not expecting any great things from New Zealand.
Speaker 1: Well on that Paul Ford, should it be coach Tom Sawyer's last chance too? I mean, but can you blame him with you know, Galan has just been talking about the fact that where's the depth? You've shipped me again? Haven you what's his name?
Speaker 3: Huckleberry fins mate? You love you love a bit of Mark Twain. You're very literary, sons of ches. I'm going to have that deleted one. Look, I think it does feel like there's bigger things at play than you know, changing the coach and she'll be right, you know, he can only do what he's He can only do what he can with the resources that are available to him. And to be fair, the build up for this looks pretty decent. You know, they're off to the T twenty World Cup in the UAE. It's going to be about forty degrees, it's going to be spin friendly and so heading up to the upper northern reaches of Australia is not the stupidest thing in the world, but a really, really tough group they've got India, Australia, Sri Lanka and Pakistan. You know, in spinning conditions in thirty nine degree heat. One of these teams is not like the other. So you know, it's a bloody difficult assignment. As you say, all the all the media leading into this one that's been focused on Sophie Divine and Susie Bates playing nine consecutive World Cups or whatever it is, and good on them, But yes, it does feel like we're good at we're good at the moment and we're about to fall off a cliff, which is a frightening prospect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it can't be all about Susie and Sophie, No, No, you know, we've got to eventually be talking about your George's and your Rosemaries and your Lareen's and your Brooks and that. But you know, it just feels like every single hope for this team is tied up in those three names and it just doesn't change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty grim, but who knows. They may surprise us, you know, I hope so you never do. Hey, more contraction and again, since our last broadcast, players who have chosen to forego central contracts for twenty twenty four to twenty five season, in order of importance, Kane Williamson, Devin Conway, Lucky Ferguson, Adam Milne, Finn Allen, James Nisham.
Speaker 2: I thought you're a messive James Neshen Fan, I am, You've relegated into the bottom of that list, So.
Speaker 1: I didn't write the list. What's what's the what's the thinking behind it?
Speaker 2: Are they just they're hunting themselves open a It's it's money. They've got opportunities to play in South Africa or the T twenty up and the David White T twenty up in the UAE.
Speaker 3: It's yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean we've we talked about this a lot. When Cain Williamson made his announcement, his seems fairly innocent that it's an opportunity to play one summer in South Africa to miss the Super Smash.
Speaker 1: Who are you talking about this?
Speaker 2: Sorry, Kane Williamson. Yes, but then it was kind of interesting, so Caanan, Lucky Ferguson and Adam kind of made themselves unavadable contracts quite early. Was that second trunch was quite interesting really with with Devon Conway and he's been given a casual contract. So you either get given a casual contract in the blessing of New Zealand cricket or you don't. And he got given a casual contract, Fanellen didn't. And you could make an argument that has Devon actually done enough for New Zealand cricket. I mean, I know he's a very fine player and he started off with a his and auror in all three formats, but has he done enough to warrant a casual contract That kind of only came Williamson's get.
Speaker 3: It's murkhy what you have to do to qualify for that casual contract too?
Speaker 2: Right? I wonder it's needless?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Does he did he want one? And Finellen didn't. He wanted more flexibility. You know, I don't know the answer to that. Can I add another couple of aims on the list for you as well? Tim Seifert is on a casual contract with Northern Districts, so is Scott Kogerline. So you know, the interesting thing is that it's the big guns, the medium sized guns and some of the smaller guns are actually all moving to this this new new mode of payment which basically just frees them up. But I mean if you're going to argue against it, where does it end? When When do the rock stars come back and build the next generation of cricketers? I think is a question that you know, where does this send up? I'm not sure, And we're obviously got our hands tied behind our back of it here in New Zealand because we don't pay players as much as what they can get elsewhere. So you know, simple economics will win the day on that one. But also structurally, having a high paying super smash is just not realistic given the level of competition from other competitions around the world, and also the fact that we're in a really shitty time zone for India as well, so really really tricky situation.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it it opened it up for a cricketer. I've been very keen on for a couple of seasons now. Nathan Smith has waltst into one of those twenty Central contracts, which is great. I think he's he's been playing County Create yep and doing pretty well. I think so Silver Linings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw I saw on a I can't remember who said it, but I saw it somewhere where it was a It was a crystal ball gazing piece off the back of the contracts. And you know, we've talked about cricket made moving to this football type contract where you know players play all year, potentially for different teams, but effectively tied into the same franchise. And someone made the point, you know, the next Kame Williamson could be like Steven Adams, you know, effectively found early by an Indian scout and then never plays for New Zealand because has always got bigger fish to overseas. And that gosh, that landed heavy for me. I was like, that's a grim thought. I really hope that doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Hey, it's been a while since I've said this, but it's time for Paul Ford's News or ruse. Yes it is.
Speaker 3: There will be three bits of news, there'll be something off piece blatantly incorrect, and the Eihuel Trophy will be avoided awarded. Each week Ranfilly Shields Dolls will either be heading off to Jason's mansion out west or to Dylan's castle on the North Shore, or it'll be staying in my humble bungalow in Carrori. So well, let's see what happens. Number one Nottingham Shay have signed Lunsdon's finest Jacob Duffy, as they battle to avoid relegation from Division one of the County Championship. The thirty year old, with fourteen T twenty and six One day international caps for New Zealand, has taken two hundred and ninety three first class wickets in a twelve year long professional career. He joins knots for their final two red ball matches this season, with the East Midland side third from bottom. He actually had his made his debut four knots overnight against his former side. He didn't bat and he didn't bowl, but he's next man in and they are about four hundred for six something like that. The Peter Moores is the coach there and he said Duffy has experienced under his belt and skill set and time spent in England previously means he has the ability to make a difference. Intriguingly, I did look up interesting people from Lumsdon. Darryl Gibson is one and current resident lou Vincent is another. There we go number two. Sky has renewed it to BCCI Home International rights. It's an announcement of a four year renewal of its broadcast partnership with Indian Crickets Stars. The deal runs through to twenty and twenty eight and it covers all Indian men's national team cricket matches taking place in India, including New Zealand's upcoming tour, which will be three Test matches that kick off mid October. There will be seventy two fixtures in all, and of course just a reminder that domestic New Zealand cricket rights are still held by TV and Z through until twenty twenty five I think anyway, the next three years anyway from twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 3: And number three, Big Bad bat Essex have described English Cricket Chiefs as absolutely stupid for docking the county twelve points because one of their players used a bat that was ruled too wide by a millimeter or two. The club slim hopes of winning the County Championship First Division of all but evaporated after a bat used by Farose Cushy in April's match against nottingham Shire was found to have exceeded the permitted dimensions. Cushi made one hundred and twenty one in his second innings when the bat was ruled to have breached the regulations when tested by the match umpires England. Former Essex president and former England captain Keith Fletcher said, I assume the SEB thought this was cheating and the appeal panel is trying to flex its m its muscles a bit. Parrose does not believe he did anything wrong. The whole size being penalized, not just one player. It's only a few millimeters and I think the e c B have been absolutely stupid. There you go, there's the three.
Speaker 2: What was Well, I think I know what it is. It's the last story I believe. And the bat wasn't too wide. The gauge on it was too high. Ah, And yes, everything else about that story was dead right. I remember reading it very interested inly, wondering if it was a wide bet. But it wasn't a wide bet. It was a two what's the what's the opposite of broad vertical?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The anyway, the gauge on it was slightly out. They couldn't get it through the whole right right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll go story three too and say they were doped sex points.
Speaker 3: Well I don't. I'm gonna have to chick. I'm going to fact check your one, Dylan, because I don't know about that, but because she only made twenty one, that was an extra hundred runs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't too wide though, But I look, I'll be very big Menimus about this and I'll take the trophy this week.
Speaker 3: Wow, Holy jeez, audacious.
Speaker 1: Hey Pull Forwards Cricket Violence Corner, Paul Forwards Cricket Violence Corner.
Speaker 3: A thirty year old cow vigilante from klim And the Thane district was kidnapped and brutally as solved by two men and two cricket bats on Wednesday. The attackers verbally abused their victim as well, accusing him of informing the police about a pickup truck transporting a hall of illegal beef, which led to the vehicle seizure. The incident occurred before the start of playing nine to thirty am on Tuesday, when the victim was forcibly taken from his car and placed into an auto rickshaw, transported to a location on the bypass road, then severely beaten with two unbranded cricket bats. After the assault, the victim was moved to another vehicle and dropped near a flower market that is the only rosy thing about this story. Aslam Muller and I have been apprehended on smagas board of charges, including my absolute favorite, a criminal act done in furtherance of a common intention.
Speaker 2: There we go. It was the verbal abuse that heard the most of I mean, the beating was bad, but yeah, it was a name calling that really got.
Speaker 1: To Hey, tell you we're going to do We'll take another break and come back with your correspondents. Welcome back to the BYC and let's get to your correspondence. Incidentally, pull forward. If people want to get in touch with us, what do they do? Mate?
Speaker 3: Flick us an email to BYC at Baserigade dot code or NZ, or slide into the DMS on Instagram or Facebook for the Alternative Commentary Collective or the.
Speaker 1: Base Regade Great staff. This is from Simon h the longest run up in history. Do you want me to read it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Evening Chaps from a gray and gloomy nant witch in England. In spite of it being midsummer here, i'mn't sure as to when you were back on air. Nevertheless, I thought this would be an interesting piece of cricket related news to fill the void during the winter hiatus, adding what must now be considered are considered the longest run up in history. As a pretext, Tom is in our fantasy football group and I caught a snippet that he was running fifteen kilometers in full cricket whites through the streets of London, complete with ball. This got me thinking about this potentially being a long run up, and I was mulling over if this might be some kind of record. Fast forward a few days and it seems like he smashed the previous skinness world record by some distance and raised some decent money for charity in the process. I hadn't realized it had actually run in and bowled the opening delivery of an actual match in the process. He told me that it was full and straight, which is just as well, and that is one ball you wouldn't want to have to bowl again if it had gone down the leg's side for four wides. Bravo Tom, and I'm sure you will agree that fundraising for minds UK feels quite poignant about helping bring wider awareness about men's mental health and sport, given that we recently lost the great Graham Thorpe. I hope this finds you are well and I look forward to more BYC episodes on my drives around the northwest of England in the very near future.
Speaker 2: All the best Simon, good stuff, Simon. And yeah it did right. That was a shocking piece of news, wasn't it. Graham Thorpe, Yes, it was very would you call him gritty? He wasn't quite classical, but he wasn't really gritty here. He was just a very very fine left hand tough tough yeah, yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Can I just a little piece of just a little a correction if you will, Tom Dunn, this is the guy that Simon has written to us about, So bethnal Green. It wasn't fifteen it wasn't fifteen kilometers. It was fifteen miles that he ran in, so twenty four point five kilometers sensational. And they've got a cricket team called the Dell Boys Cricket Club and the game was at Wan'sworth Common, So yeah, absolutely brilliant. Like re ran past the Tower Bridge, Big ben Batasy power Station, London Eye, kind of along the banks of the Thames there, So absolutely sensational. It did make me think about the longest run up that I've ever seen, and for me it was Michael Holding at I think it was Ash Burton playing for Canterbury. My god, it was long and it was scary and it was silky and it was smooth and it was frightening.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was going to say Michael Holding he was terrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And he had a real glide, didn't It was a glide.
Speaker 2: Beautiful sprinter's kind of action. And Bob Willis was probably the longest I saw a poky park and you put him with playing for England. He really had to start as run up off the bank, very small ground poker park, but it was it blew me away. I was just a young kid at the time. I thought, wow, that's and he was bustling. He was kind of all arms and yes, yahoun around that weird action that he had so good.
Speaker 3: Dylan and Free Truman famously said about Bob Willis's run up that he said, christ, I don't go that far in my holidays.
Speaker 1: It's interesting in terms of the run up because it just seems a little bit over the top of you. If you had got a massive one, it seems like you know. Of course, with the controversy with Richard Hadley and his long run up and everyone you know, and then he played county cricket and went, oh geez, I can't carry on with us for everyone when to shortened my run up until he got back to New Zealand and even went, oh no, you can't do that, and he knew better, but he went back to it at the end, didn't he.
Speaker 2: It was part of the guess, the bristling mckismo of fast bowling back in those days. I mean, yes, Lily's original run up was extraordinary long as well. And yeah, I mean YouTube is just an incredible, incredibly rich place for old cricket videos at the moment. I've been watching highlights of series from the sixties and seventies in England and watch how cricket has changed. I mean, it is fantastic. In fact, I should bring a few links along to our subscriber.
Speaker 3: I've got one for everyone to google, including you guys, The eight Z of New Zealand Fast Bowlers. But obviously it was only up to about the mid nineteen nineties, so it's got Willie Watson and Studio Z of their run ups. Very very good, highly recommend it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, well listen everyone, thanks for taking the time to listen to our podcast. Hopefully we'll be well. We will be back the same time, same place next week with some good news fellas. Hey, fingers crossed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, till then you kind of put a downer on it for me. Oh, I remain optimistic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Jason meant about the seasons, some good news about the seasons.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, of course we've switched over to spring in a couple of days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do, we do. Hey, it's been a pleasure. We'll see you soon.