Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Francesca Budkin and I'm Louise Area and this is season four of our new Zealand Here podcast The Little Things, a podcast where we talk to experts and find out all the little things you need to know to improve all areas of your life and cut through the confusion an overload of information out there. We have a guest from a cross A Tasman with us today, a midlife woman who's taken a proactive position on the season of life. The glory years is one of our other guests called them, and she's shining a light on all the strengths, discoveries, gems and challenges of being mid midlife, mid family, mid Korea, but most importantly demonstrating that this time of life is anything but average.
Speaker 2: I like the expression glory years. I'm going to stick to it. I'm holding on to that. I think you're approaching your glory years.
Speaker 1: Thanks, Fanchip. I'm with what I haven't said. I haven't given you a compliment to yet. You might want to wait about to say. You might be approaching it in an abborting a bad manner. No, but I think you've been very pragmatic about things. Well, you know, I'm not very good at You're not getting worked up about things, You're not getting.
Speaker 2: You know, like we just kind of just do it. I thought we're done.
Speaker 1: Look que you know, I do spend a probably good hour between one am and two getting worked up about things. But generally speaking, though, I do think that knowledge is power. And we've learned a lot from our approach in this podcast to seeking out expert advice, which is always what we wanted to do. Where as our guest is she does give lots of good advice, but she's talking about those the bits in between, you know, the living.
Speaker 2: Parts, absolutely, the bits that we don't think are worth talking about. But interestingly, everybody is going through and experiencing themselves anyway.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I always go back to Oliver Berkman and just there was a line in his book that went very well, then this is how things are. And I think, you know, like I just come back to that all the time and go, just you know, actually, this is how things are. You can make them better, you can improve things, you can change things, you can handle things better, you can do all those things. But actually just that kind of acceptance of well, this is where I'm at, and it's a good place and it's all good.
Speaker 1: I think that is something that comes with age. I think we all agreed when we were talking to Oliver that that that's not something you could tell a nineteen twenty year old. But definitely, if you're going to take anything out of the glory, is that is that, Like you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Like trying to tell a teenager you will be okay, you were going to be okay in the long run, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you feel like you know you've got your ducks in a row yet, Francesca, Ah, no, okay, So yes, in a way, I suppose I've got happy children who are independent and starting their own lives.
Speaker 2: I've got a loving partner who I adore. I've got a house, I've got a career, I've got jobs I love. And so there are certain things that, yeah, you can, you could tick a box or no. Great, But I think the one thing that I'm accepting a lot more is that life is this huge roller coaster and I see this almost weekly. At the moment, you do not know what is around the corner. And while I think it's great to have some ducks in a row to give you some security, whether it's financial or emotional, whatever it is is, I think the most important thing about this age and stage is to go, do.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: I've got this wealth of experience, I've got all this life experience, and I'm going to rely on that because actually, I don't know what tomorrow brings, and I don't know when there's going to be a health scare, someone's going to lose a job, there's going to be a reality I don't know what is around the corner. And so in a way, yeah, it's great to have some of those ducks in a row, but it's also really important to acknowledge you can't keep those ducks. Aren't just going to sit there swimming, you know, like in a synchronized fashion.
Speaker 1: No, I've got this vision. Go along to main driving in the park and sometimes there's a mother just waddling proud as with her ducks in a row, and then there's three or four that just scramble out of nowhere through out of the reeds. We don't know when those ducks come out of the reads. So we're trying to harness all that. So I guess midlife is about you. That's right, You're cand halfway there, you probably have to also accept you will never be fully there, and that's okay, and that's okay, yeah yeah, And actually.
Speaker 2: Life would be really boring if your head all your ducks in a row, wouldn't it if you were just like you knew how things were gonna you know, you went, oh yeah, perfect. Because actually, even though we're midlife, I'm still hoping I've got decades left to live and I don't see myself necessarily winding down. I might see myself getting a little bit more time for myself because your kids are moving on and things are changing, and I really appreciate that being able to have the freedom to decide how I want to spend that time. But I also see that there's also this whole lot of opportunity out there that finally, the sort of age and stage gives of freedoms.
Speaker 1: You know, I couldn't agree more. I think I am a little bit guilty sometimes about the winding down thing, and that's okay too, you know, totally. But I think, like, well, Kathy who we spoke to about the running, and you know, she's she's lit a fire under me. Yeah so, And I have actually got no intentions of one now and we are only just over halfway through the journey.
Speaker 2: And if you want to think about it from Kathy's point of view, it was that whole thing about and I'm simplifying it here. But you might have a personal goal, but that doesn't have to be connected to your age.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like you can think about things quite separately. You can have all these great ambitions and goals and go out there and do them.
Speaker 1: And you can take up a new hobby like pottery, Like.
Speaker 2: Can I just say just very quickly, pottery teachers are the loveliest people on earth. They are the most They are kind and generous with their knowledge, and you're always learning something new, and then they just so supportive when you just make this piece of shit.
Speaker 1: I just I just love them.
Speaker 2: They're just so good for my self esteem.
Speaker 1: Anyway, our guest might be better poised to talk about all these things that we're talking about. In her podcast, she speaks to women about this sometimes crazy, wonderful and frustrating time of life. So this ZEP is not about getting expert advice per se. It's about the acknowledgment of these middle years. There's something quite different from other stages of life and talking about that with the women we're spending these years worth. It's about taking a moment, grab a fresh brew of some kind and having a chat about our shared experiences. Holly Wainewright is the executive editor at Australia's largest independent women's media group, Mamma Maya. She's also a writer and host of their daily Mama Maya podcast, Mamma Maya Out Loud and her own podcast mid Holly is also a published fiction author and her most recent book has just launched to great reviews. It's called He Would Never. She's a mother of two teens, a loving partner and lately she's a patient Vida Garden and somehow Holly has found time to speak with us today. Welcome Holly. It is great to have you with us.
Speaker 3: It's great to be here. Thanks so much for asking me.
Speaker 1: It is just a delight really. Mama Mia is a hugely successful women's and media company with an engagement across so many ages and stages. How significant is the midlife audience these days? Like has it grown in the time you've been with the company.
Speaker 3: It's very significant. Because Mama Mia has now been around as a website for about seventeen years, which is, you know, very grown up in digital world, and I've been working there for eleven of those, which is a long time, doing lots of different things. And obviously Mia Friedman, who started the business, is a gen XA like myself and she so there's a portion of the audience that has very much grown with her and who are now grappling with midlife issues. Also, of course, as you've said, because you know, the business is much bigger than Meha and I and everything, a really significant young audience too. One of the things that's really unique about Mama Mia is it has this multi generational appeal. Out Loud, which is the other podcast I make with Mia and Jesse Stevens, we often have like mothers and adult daughters come to our live shows. We have that kind of intergenerational thing we're very proud of. But no question that gen X midlife portion of the audience is really significant and probably have been with us the longest.
Speaker 2: No, that resonates with both Louise and I. We're sort of around that that stage age and stage, don't we.
Speaker 1: Louise.
Speaker 2: Not long ago, you reflected on a previous season of mid and how the decades from thirty five is to sixty five. This is a window where a lot of big things happen and we couldn't agree more. Do you think that you were ready for it?
Speaker 3: No? I think in some ways, and you know, there's lots of level to it, isn't there, Because there's the hormonal stuff, and then there's just the fact that there's a lot of One of the guests on an episode of mid has described as midlife collisions. There are a lot of big things abound to happen in that phase where you know, maybe you've been parenting for a while, or maybe that never happened for you and you're reckoning with how you feel about it, or with choices you've made. Maybe your relationships are you know, changing, a lot of divorce in midlife, a lot of separation, a lot of friend dynamics shifting, so and Korea. There's a whole lot of stuff happening. But with the hormonal stuff, I think I wasn't ready for it because I think I was the kind of gen x feminist who was very reluctant to give my hormones too much sort of credibility in my world. You know, I don't know about you two. But when I was younger, you wouldn't ever talk about being pre menstrual or having you know, or anything like that in a professional environment because you didn't want to be dismissed as some kind of crazy woman, you know. And I remember when I was pregnant with my first child, who's fifteen now, so sixteen years ago, I was adamant not to show any like cracks of weakness at work, you know. I didn't want to be accused of having baby brain or any of those things. So I think that I've been a bit of a denier of the realities of the female body and the impact it has on you. But then what happens is perry menopause, and menopause comes along and just smacks you around in the face. You have to kind of go, oh, this isn't just me who's having this, you know, dealing with all these wobbles and issues and physical symptoms that don't make sense, and worrying you're losing your mind. This is hormones, and I can't deny it any longer. So in some ways it's been a bit of a reckoning for me.
Speaker 1: That was very much. I was very much the same when I was pregnant with my first child. I think my partner wondered whether I realized the consequences of frequency until the last moment.
Speaker 2: And I've been very much the same as well. I've just kind of got on with things. And then, you know, did not even know that perimenopause existed until I was forty seven, you know, and my mother made the point, she did say to me, I must apologize. I never ever mentioned this. I got you through puberty and went job done.
Speaker 1: I think we listened to the loud parts that the changes in our menstrual cycle. We listened to those, but there's all the whispering parts that the foggy brain, that all of those other things that we kind of would rather put down to anything else other than well, because I actually didn't know what perimenopause was, you know, put it down to just about anything else.
Speaker 3: Same absolutely, And I think because of the very deep agism that's embedded in our societies, and also because I think that as women, maybe we've always been you know, you're lucky to be here, keep going, you know, that kind of I don't know, I think that we, maybe as gen x's, were even more worried about how that was going to affect us. What's really interesting, though, is that now that people are talking about perimenopause much more and again Mia Friedman, who's my friend in the co founder of Mum and mea with her husband, she put together a perimenopause summit a few years ago and the reaction was absolutely overwhelming. And then it feels like in these last few years it's much more talked about and much more discussed, which is fantastic. And then on the other end of that, what I was saying before about me as a young woman wanting to deny all the time that any of my female bits, internal or otherwise were affecting me in any way. The young women I work with, they talk all the time about what phase of their cycle they're at, how they're feeling about it, Like it's so shifted, it's really shifted, and I'm really delighted about it.
Speaker 1: It's encouraging, for sure, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's my daughter's everything on an app so question, he goes, oh, here it is, mum, Okay, right.
Speaker 3: They know they know a lot more in a lot many ways about what's going on with them than we do because of technology, So you know, it's it gives, it takes away, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Then was it hitting those mid years that inspired you to create mid Yes.
Speaker 3: It's really interesting because, as I say, we were talking a lot about perimenopause and menopause, but I also wanted to make a show at mom and Mia that was about midlife. But it wasn't only about that, like because we don't again and maybe this isn't my internalized stuff, but I don't think. I also don't want to be defined by that. I don't want every conversation around women in their forties and fifties and beyond to be about hormones. I want them to also be my very much is about just when we come into this phase in our lives where we are more experienced, we are wiser, we've been through so much, we've survived a lot, often not necessarily talking about myself, but certainly, you know, we can all point to that in our friend groups, in our lives, and you're so experienced and you know what you're doing exactly that moment you're kind of pushed aside by the culture and society whatever that means, and sort of pitied a little bit, and it's like you're not really relevant anymore? Are you? And oh yeah, it's a bit sad to be you now. And I find that really infuriating because historically men are often at their most powerful in their fifties and sixties. And I know that's an external perception of power, but you know, if ten years ago you'd imagine what a CEO it's, or a leader of a world leader, it's a man of that age, you know, a white man of that age, whereas women get to that age and we're like, oh, slowing down now, you know. So I really wanted to make a show that explored all these different parts of MED, but with a real with a positive feel to it.
Speaker 1: Look, I'll be honest, I love the show. I've been listening to MED since it started, and we had started this podcast when when I started listening to Mead, and I was like, oh gosh, this is so interesting because we talked to a lot of people experts in their field about some of the physiological stuff, some of the more philosophical stuff, but you're talking about women's actual experiences on the every day and I often enjoy You're like your pre monologue the most, If I'm honest, you have a way of articulating the mid life experience, which has me kind of nodding in tandem and sometimes feeling a bit sort of teary. Do you hear that a lot?
Speaker 3: Yes, And it's an enormous compliment. I love writing those introductions. This season, we've mixed them up a little bit, but I love writing those introductions because I think, again, you just want to express out loud. You know, I've learned this over years of writing, obviously, but when you express out loud something that women are too embarrassed to say, or that they thought they were the only ones who felt that way, it's always powerful. And I also want them to have a bit of humor when it's relevant and a bit of emotion when it's not. And I love writing though, it is no question, but I think, as I say, I'm just it's an amazingly rich vein to be working in because every conversation I have on mid with a woman who's you know, somewhere between forty and sixty ish is they're always so interesting, Mike, We're.
Speaker 2: So interesting, guys.
Speaker 3: I've been through a lot and know a lot of things and have all the good stories and you know, have a lot of perspective, and so I love making this show.
Speaker 2: Just because our children don't want to listen to us, Solly, it doesn't mean that there are other people out there who don't and appreciate what we might have to offer. And it's important to remember that. You know, you were just talking before about that whole invisibility thing, and I love the way that you're just so positive about just ignore that and get on with your life and do what you want to do and be out there and things. But actually, does it matter if other people or society views us as invisible.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because I often talk to my gen X friends about whether that's why. So, for example, when I turned just before I turned fifty, I went through a bit of a you know, crisis about my self image, and I started wearing red lipstick. I'm wearing it now. In fact, I always put it on before I'm doing something worky, like it makes me feel. I started wearing red lipstick, and I grew a hairlong, and I bought some new clothes, and you realize that it's all it's about finding that physical invisibility stuff, right that you're kind of like, I'm still here and I'm still interesting and it definitely matters. I think I certainly have made peace with and most and many midwomen I know and actually found a lot of freedom in the invisibility that comes from suddenly being untraceable by the male gaze. That's great, I think, like I love that to a point. To a point, you know, you have a certain amount of freedom, because what I think all the time when I'm watching my daughter, who's fifteen, so at the other end of that, she is suddenly in the last couple of years, and my new novel talks about this, but has become intensely visible to the world. Right you see that happen to them where they're just kids, little girls running around, you know, being very physical and being very sort of unself conscious, and then suddenly puberty hits them and they are aware that this lens has almost just swung onto them, and everybody has opinions about everything they're wearing, the way their body is looking, every And I'm the other end of that, and I can almost you almost feel somewhere this like that camera swinging away again. And I think there's a lot of freedom to be found in that. But the problem with it is we don't want to be invisible to people of influence. We don't want to be invisible when it comes to having a say in the way the world works and our lives work, right. I find it really depressing when, particularly maybe in professional settings, but otherwise it's like, oh, no, one wants to listen to the old ladies, you know. Old ladies have all this wisdom, you know. And I also think, and I spoke to the author Jane Tara about this in the Invisibility episode, that the serious side of it too, is that often in midlife we realize we've become a bit invisible to ourselves because we maybe have spent a lot of time caring for other people, putting our needs aside that might be entirely necessary at various points. And the really dangerous bit is when you've lost sight of who you are and what you need. And that's why I think also a lot of midlife women are searching.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's where the power is, just learning how to harness the visibility when we want to, and how to be out there and very visible when we can. And I think that's something that Frinchisca and I both felt strongly about when we started this. But what I did notice when we all started talking a lot more about menopause and perimenopause was a sudden media shift of can we be quite about that?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Have we done this?
Speaker 3: Now? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: And we were like, sorry, no, we're not turning it down now.
Speaker 3: And it's moment, it's moment in the sun is over. Oh, menopause is so last year.
Speaker 1: It's not a fair guys. Sorry, I know.
Speaker 3: And it is interesting because you know you asked me that question before about whether or not I was prepared for it in terms of my own experience of Perry and menopause. Like a lot of things, I didn't necessarily realize when I was in it that that's what was happening to me. The anxiety, the sudden insomnia. I'd never struggled to sleep, and I felt like I didn't sleep for a year, just a whole range of feeling very like you're just not sure if it's you or if it's the world. Are you going crazy? What's happening? And for me, I have found help and solutions through HRT. I know it's not for everybody, And now the infuriating thing is that I can't bloody find it. I don't know if this is still the same with it, it's the same in New Zealand. Terrible supply chain issues mean that the little patch that makes me feel more like myself is so impossible to find. And so we're not going to shut up about these issues until there are some better solutions for us.
Speaker 2: Right The government here in New Zealand tried to switch dot to another brand and the hour they hadn't quite anticipated the outrage from the aged women that would come their way, and they very sensibly and very quickly backed down from that decision of changing their funding around there, which I was very good of them. Choice yes with our no no no, those little plastic pieces of gold. You know, you've spoken about so many things Holly to do with this kind of period of time. I wonder what have been what have people really resonated with, What have been some of the big takeaways for you? The kind of topics that you've spoken about.
Speaker 3: So undoubtedly some of the biggest episodes of MED because we sort of tackle a different theme in every episode. One of my absolute favorite episodes and one of the most listened to, is our episode about grief with this incredible woman called doctor Jackie Bailey, who is a death Jeeler. This is sort of almost perceived wisdom I guess in commercial media is like, oh, it's a bit sad, isn't it grief? Like, I know that sounds ridiculous, but people would turn away, but because unquestionably, this is a time of life. And obviously I'm aware that if you're getting to this time of life and only experiencing that level of loss for the first time, you're very lucky. But there is a lot of loss in this period of our lives, and we are soldiering on and not allowed to talk about it a lot that episode. What really makes me proud is that people pass it around to each other. People message me a lot and say I wasn't read They maybe had lost somebody, and they'd say, I'm not ready to listen to it yet, but my friend tells me I have to when I am. And then this eldest and then I just think that was one of those examples of having a conversation that felt big. But Jackie brought so much humor and wisdom, which I know sounds a bit wild about humor, but wisdom and humanity to it. No platitudes, lots of reality. I loved that episode and that resonated really hard. Equally, one we did in the last season with Caroline Baum about caring for an elderly parent. That was again didn't follow a typical script because Caroline's mother as a particularly difficult woman as many of our parents are, and moved in with her, which Caroline was happy to do as a dutiful daughter, and kind of everything went horribly wrong.
Speaker 1: It was really interesting episodes.
Speaker 3: They good then, and that also resonated very hard because you know, that's a big theme. But then on the other side of that, episodes we've done about body and weight, which is a very tricky issue to talk about. We're touching on it again this season always go well because I think that it's not often for women in this phase of life. And I know you know way more about this than I do, Louise, but it's like our relationship with our body externally shifts a bit from just like I wanted to look hot in address or whatever, too, I don't feel like myself. I feel like I'm out of control of what's happening to me, and you know, wanting to get that control back and wanting to have live as good a life as possible for a long time, so that always goes well. And then, to be honest, any really raw and human story always does well. So I think the first episode we ever did with Australian what is she? I suppose she's a celebrity Julie Goodwin, who is a food writer who talked very honestly about her own mental health and breakdown, was a hugely successful episode. So yeah, pretty much everything is like it's on the table at mid the hard things, the funny things, dating, divorce always go well. There's a lot of that happening.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure. And I actually quite like that quite often you're talking to people who from the outside that we might look at and go, oh gosh, they've had a fortunate life, you know, and actually nobody gets away with having one hundred percent fortunate life, do they not? By this point, I don't know, no exactly.
Speaker 2: It's because you've just sort of mentioned things like grief and dating and divorce and things, and really it's all coming down to changes. They're just major changes, aren't they.
Speaker 3: It is, and it's transitions and that's what this the most recent episode that we did with Melinda Gates, which I'm like, oh, my god, I can't believe I got to interview Melinda Gates. But that's the theme of her book, and you hear a lot of people talking about that at the minute is it is changes, it's transitions. It's a massive time of transition. I think this age for women.
Speaker 2: Because in a way we hope that our life experiences up to this point are going to help us deal with these transitions, like we've got that resilience there, but they can still take you by complete surprise and be a huge challenge, can't they.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I think it's one of my favorite topics is about change because one of the things that I find very I hate to use the word empowering because it's kind of cheesy, but is the idea that you can change that when you because often you know, and again I'm generalizing, but women might get to a point in midlife where they are at a point where they can ask themselves some questions about what they want the next part to look like. And for me, there's enormous freedom in the idea that I can change. I can change things, my circumstances, my health, my body, whatever it is, my job, my relationships. The idea that change is still on the table, that we're not somehow stuck in whatever the patterns are and whatever the things are that have brought us to where we are, that we can still shift. And I think that that the changes that are forced upon us, whether that might be a relationship ending or loss or chill, leaving home or whatever that is, or menopause has discussed, and then the changes we want to make. I think that that is really key and core to this time of life.
Speaker 2: You're right, you're listening to the little things and now Guesst on the podcast, Day is All the MMA MIA podcast host hollyway Right, we'll be back shortly after this break. Holly, what are some of the best bits of midlife as you see them?
Speaker 3: I have to say that for me, like, apart from what I discussed before about the hormonal stuff and the fact that I've definitely had some mental health challenges in my forties I did have in my forties, I really like this age. I really like it because it's such a cliche to say I know who I am. I'm not certain that I do know who I am, but I can see things coming. Touish that I'm not one of those people who writes five year goals and stuff. I should be more like that, but I'm not. But the life that I have now is definitely one that I've chosen and that I've worked towards. And often when you're in the middle of all those all that stuff, you can't see it. I like the perspective of being able to sit where I am and go, oh, yeah, like I made these things happen, whether that's within my family or within my professional life. I really like that I feel more confident, and I didn't for a while. Sometimes I get a bit irritated when people say about midlife women, oh, they don't give an f they know who they are, because I think that a lot of insecurity can also come at this time, a lot of like, oh, you know, I've changed the way it looks, changed the way the world sees me change, and you can feel very It can really damage your confidence. But I feel like I've come out of that a bit now and I am much more confident in who I am and what I want, what I don't want, and all those things. I really enjoy that. I think I've got better. This is another thing is that you know, professionally, women are often told that they need to pre prepared to shuffle off when they're fifty ish. But I'm better at all the things that I do than I was when I was younger. And of course I am like we all are, right, we're more experienced, we know more, we've done it more times. So again it's about that not letting the world in. So I definitely feel that I'm I'm more skilled than I was lots of the things I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Do you like the sage, Luis, Yeah, I'm growing into it. Yeah, it's taken a little while. I was just sitting You're thinking, it's not quite like I went into a crystalis and came out of butterfly, But there's something in between. You sort of disappear and come back. That's how as you know, you were describing it. I think for me, I mean, I've got two kids. You've got this hit of you, Holly, But I've got two kids that have flown the East and one still at home, and it's not as awful as I thought it was going to be. Yeah, that's one of the That's one of the things I do. I love the relationship I have with them now that they're not in my home and I love having one at home that I can put all my yeah, all my love and two and he's loving that too, So it's not defferitely. I don't think anybody could even say it's all bad. You know, there are so many good things, and even things that you thought were going to be bad might be better than you think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and obviously I've got teenagers, so I'm still very much happens on parenting. But I like this level of hands on parenting much more than I like the little kids. I mean, obviously I can get as tary as anyone about seeing the old pictures of them when they were little and being like, oh, that phase of my life, But I have to say I have more freedom now, no question, and I like that. What about you? Do you think? Do you like this age? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: I'm a bit like Louise. I think I'm growing into it. I think I'm in a much better place because we are talking about it more, you know your podcast, that the people that we've spoken to. I'm a lot more relaxed about it, and I too appreciating the freedom. I'm appreciating that the future's got a whole lot more possibilities because my children are happy and independent and sort of starting their own lives. And I think for me, probably the hardest thing is physical issues, and not so much how I look. I'm really happy to go. I've lived a really good, fun full life and it's in every wrinkle on my face. That doesn't worry me so much. It's more just all these really boring aches and pains and little mysteries that come along, and the fact that some days you just I literally roll out of bed in order to get to the shot. You know, Listen, it's that after always being very active and being able to run across the road whenever I want and no, I'm not going to get hit by a car, I've got a small need problem at the moment, which I won't bore you with, Holly, But at the moment, I can't do that, and I find that I try not to let that get to me. But actually that is probably thing that deep down annoys the hell out of me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's and it's the most important really, right. You know, we all see my parents are elderly, they're still I'm still lucky enough they're both with us. They're far away from me, and their physical challenges now have just the quality of their life has changed so much. And I think that we at this point in our lives, we begin to recognize and appreciate that so much more, don't we? How much? And it's yeah, that's definitely a big challenge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the hardest part for me is not just my own physical challenges. My knees are good, thank goodness, But it's keeping on top of every bloody appointment you have to have just to stay alive. Right, just had some some things taken off am back, yastertone, and he was just digging away in my back and I'm telling complaining the whole time, as you can expect. Franchisca. Well, I've got you this time. I've got my mammogram next. You know, it's just never ending. That bothers me. And also a lot of maintenance, a lot of bloody maintenance. And I don't you know, I've never been a particularly vain pierson. I didn't think, no, you're not. But I don't like the saying ebit's that that does annoy me. And that's gravity. I mean, that's you know, it's gonna, it's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: It definitely annoys me. And I wrestle with the with the vanity. I wrestle with it a lot. When I'm on a good day, I'm just like, oh, it's so boring. I don't want to think about my face. On a good day, I'm like, it's so boring. I don't want to think about my face. This is how it is. And on a bad day, You're just like, who is that person in the mirror? It's not me, I don't heal us. I entirely understand the urge and the desire to try and make that person look something more like the version of you that you have.
Speaker 2: You know that is so true. It's that disconnects between what you're seeing and how you're feeling. Because I still think I'm young. I mean, I think I've definitely got a biological age, chronicle age, and yes, and I'm down there. I'm down there when it comes to how old I think I am. You know, I still think I'm a good ten to fifteen younger years younger I am. I'm kind of often surprised when you know, I've got a birthday this month, and I'm kind of like surprised at how old I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to be.
Speaker 2: Really sure, really, you know that still hurts, but there is that disconnector is so funny. There are days you do you just look in the mirror and go, what hei we.
Speaker 1: Can admit to that without you know, being perceived as vain or self indulgent. I think that's a conversation with probably shit need to have more often, because we're all thinking it exactly.
Speaker 3: And then you know, and then I think that it's complicated now by the fact that you have a million choices of things you could do try and make that person in the mirror look more like the one in your head. But how healthy is it to do all?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: You know, I wrestle with that a bit, but then I just give myself a cho I think about my mom. I'm obvious, I'm from Manchester in the north of England, and I think about how ridiculous my mom would think all that was. She'd just be like, for God's sake, get over yourself.
Speaker 1: Like anyway, Well, I mean, you've spent a long time, and you spent your early career in the temploid press, and you know, actually probably reporting on women who are our age now who have made all of those choices. I can't actually make all those toices either, a family holiday or you know, half a face left.
Speaker 3: Of course, no, no, no, most of us cannot. No.
Speaker 1: But so do you think that those women are recently with the same things as we all? I mean, they need to look a certain way for the profession to keep working, presumably, But are they doing us any favors?
Speaker 3: Oh? Well, this is this is the million dollar question. Maya and I argue about this all the time because a glorious fifty something celebrity will step on a red carpet looking twelve and maybe say that's an anti Well she won't say exactly this, but she'll say it's an anti feminist act like that that is understandable in the framework of beauty, of beauty standards that we've all been you know, swallowing since we were look since we were my daughter's age, but that it's bad for women and they should own up to what they're doing, and all these things. We have this argument all the time. I think, leave us alone. We've got enough scrutiny and enough enough sort of pressure about age without also having to constantly tell everybody exactly what we're doing to ourselves. But do I think it's doing us any favors? No? I think it's a bit depressing that we just went through an award season in Hollywood where everybody was talking about how amazing it is that now there are all these roles for women over fifty and used to be the case. It used to be that Hollywood actresses were on the shelf when they were thirty, blah blah blah. And it's like, yeah, but those women don't look like any version of fifty that I see in my real world. So is that progress or not? So? I don't know. I wrestle with it, but I generally come up with you do you. I'm trying really hard to be self accepting because I think that the flip side of all those beauty standards. I mean, I love a serum and a face cream as much as the next person, but I'm certainly, you know, financially constrained and also sort of ethically constrained about what else. I just think, leave us alone.
Speaker 2: You know, our producer is a good decade behind us in this journey. But she brought up a really interesting point. She said, when we're in our twenties, we have this perception of midlife women. Then we get to our forties or fifties and we realize that we are actually the same as we were at heart, but we know that a twenty year old is kind of seeing us through this midlife lens. I suppose if there was one message you'd want to cut through, what would you want younger generations to know about midlife women?
Speaker 3: I just think the one message that I try because I work with a lot of young women, and I have done for years, and I love it, love it. The thing that I'm always telling them and they never ever listen. Imagine that is.
Speaker 1: That we hit that we thought that might happen.
Speaker 3: But yeah, is that you know? There isn't Life doesn't end at thirty or forty or fifty. You can keep doing all the things you want to do as long as you can do them, you know. I think I see all the time, these ambitious, driven young women around me go, well, I have to do absolutely everything that I've ever wanted to do before I have a baby, or I have to do it all before I get married, or whatever it is. Whatever their thing is that they've decided is their deadline. And I often want to say to them, like, look around you at all these interesting women who are older, who are still alive and they are still doing things. And you know, I didn't start writing books till I was in my forties, and that has now become a big and important and part of my career and a source of enormous joy. It's not over, you know, you will still be able to do all the things you want to do, maybe not run across the road.
Speaker 1: There is such a very good point. I think there's another thing that I'm going to put in the very positive tick box for aging is a deadline is when you're died. Yes, actually, just keep going, you know.
Speaker 3: And I asked, when I ask midlife women who listen to mid and stuff, I do this thing where I might send me a picture of you, like living your best life. Midlife women are going back to university and retraining, like a lot of them like deciding that now they're finally going to do that thing they wanted to do, whatever it is, and they're reinventing themselves in all kinds of ways, and they're you know, you know, coming to terms with their sexuality. Well it's just I kind of wish that women did young A lot of young women didn't put themselves into quite so much pressure that like.
Speaker 1: Now now, now, now, now, no, no, no, you know I have a twenty one year old son and he puts some stuff under that kind of appreciare too. It could just be a generational thing. I've seen it in our introduction that I can sometimes be guilty of slipping into that is it time to wind down yep mode, which you know, people who know me might be surprised to hear because I'm a bit full on to relexa. Yeah, you don't suffer from this. You are incredibly busy five days a week on Momma me are out loud, a live show, a book recently out and mid and two children and a partner. And you commute from quite some distance.
Speaker 3: How did you really tired listening to you?
Speaker 1: Sorry? I don't don't put any of it down. I mean, you know, it's easy to say how do you do it? But is it just that what you described before? You know, you're just getting going.
Speaker 3: So it's interesting because that's all true that I do all those things, but in the last few years. And this is interesting because this is about that thing of like what do you want and what do you want your next actual look like? So for for a good eight or nine years at Mamma Mia, I was in a management role, so I was, you know, running teams, on calls and in meetings all day every day about what we were going to do about this and do about that and all these things, and also making content. And in the last few years I've changed that so I'm now I just make things right, so I don't have people who report into me. I don't do all of that kind of managerial stuff anymore. It has been amazingly freeing. And at the time I questioned whether my ambition was waning with my estrogen like that, I was kind of going, oh, I don't want to be a boss lady anymore. You know, I was a boss lady for quite a lot of years. I don't want to be a boss lady anymore. Is that is my ambition waning? But my ambition was just shifting. It was just changing shape, right, And I am very busy. But most of the things that I'm busy with now are things I love, like I love doing them, not every day, like I'm not leaping out of bed like birds singing and going oh, but generally speaking, they are things that I really like, writing books, making podcasts, you know, all of that stuff, making new things like creating mid and all that stuff. I really enjoy it. So I think that my ambition is still revving. But my but my number one kind of goal is to be in charge of my time. Because you know, when you said is it time to slow down? For me, it's not necessarily time to slow down, but I need to carve out more time. One thing I've learned about myself certainly is I need to carve out more time where I just get to be and just get to be with my kids, just get to be in my garden, just get to do the things that recharge me and that I don't I've losing patience with always running to someone else's timetable. So I see a lot of women in our age bracket not necessarily wanting to give everything up, but they want to change how it works so it works better for them, you know what I mean. And I think that that is kind of where I am. So people often say, oh, you're very busy, and I am, and I you know, I would like to you know, I'm making some I'm always making choices about what I should focus on and not focus on. But there's still so many things I want to do as well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's Oliver Berkman was one of our guests. We just adore him and I just love his simple philosophy that time is short, you know, it's finite, So do the things that mean something to you, that have value to you? Does it fill you? It's that simple, you know. And I think we do get to the sage and where we go Actually, how would I prefer to spend my time doing this or that? You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Brent and I do. My partner, Brent, who's a Kiwi, he's from Auckland. My partner and I we talk a lot about what the next now, which we've never done before. We've been together twenty years now. We talk a lot about what the next ten years might look like, and that we probably do want to be those old people traveling around in our Campa van and stuff. We probably do want to do that. But I think that some kind of work, the things that I love writing, you know, that kind of will always be a part of it, probably till I drop. Like my dad is a writer too, and he's eighty and obviously it's not his job, but he's It's not like one day just when I don't want to write anymore, you know, And.
Speaker 2: We're going to touch on the book at just a moment, but I just I wanted to bring up Louise loves a word. She loves a word of the year, and she's so good at picking the beast one like she'll pick one, and I got, all that sounds great.
Speaker 3: What you would tell me?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, by my word?
Speaker 2: Did she focused or consistency? Focus?
Speaker 1: No? Focus was last year? She'll think about that.
Speaker 2: Well, I keep talking, so so she comes up with these brilliant words and then I come up with sex because I can't sum up the year in one word. I had to have like six words or something. And I what was that?
Speaker 1: That was strong?
Speaker 2: It was strong?
Speaker 3: There? I like that goodwood?
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything, Yeah, but yours was nap. How's it going really badly?
Speaker 3: I said, up, I think to like one thing that I should have steady up to this year? I am. The thing is is that what I'm getting better at. Back to the thing about doing everything is I know this period right now is really really busy. So we've got mom Mirrut loud tour books coming out. It's like one of those times where every minute is crammed. I'm hoping we've all heard this before that come winter, the other side of this year is going to be much more knuppy. I love it.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to hear the wrap up at the end of the year. How that, How that went?
Speaker 2: But and look, let's have a talk about the book. He would be about. Lou and I have both raced through it. Couldn't got totally totally. How is it thrilling or terrifying putting another book out? I mean, what this is your fifth? Is that right?
Speaker 3: It's my fifth? It's terrifying. Like I, it doesn't get easier. Everyone says it must get easier. I don't really feel like it gets it. Certainly didn't get easier to write it. This book really kicked my ass, as they say, like it really did writing it. I really went through some massive confidence crashes. I rewrote it quite a few times. I know it was a big deal. So it doesn't get easier. And then putting it out there, it's this amazing mixture of nerves and excitement. I'm trying to learn in terms of us all being wiser, you can't be too attached to the outcome, as everybody says, like, you can't be too obsessed with is it going to sell a lot? All those things, But of course it's your work. You love it and you want to be able to keep doing it, so you want it to be successful. So it's both nerve wracking and exciting. But I still get so thrilled when someone says they've read a book of mine, and I still get so excited to see it on the shelf.
Speaker 1: So exciting. Look, the premise is that you know there's an extended group of friends franchshise, grin, we could relate. We meet when our children are at kindergarten, and we've got various kind of traditions that us in another family do through the year, or you know, even if it's just once a year. So I totally relate. This group of friends go camping every year. I think that's taken from your real life.
Speaker 3: Actually does happen in my real life, this group.
Speaker 1: And just all the twists and turns that life takes over a long spanning friendship, including raising these kids. It's relatable from the get go, and then you've spun in such a wildly infuriating antagonist it just makes it for total page turner. You know, can you can you give us our listeners an idea of what they can expect when they pick up this book.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So the book, as you've said, it's centers around this group of friends who go camping every year, which I go camping every year with my mother's group from Matilda, my daughter. So we've been you know, friends for fifteen years now, and that is a very rich that's a very rich text in itself, right, because we've been doing that, our children are growing up. They are always funny things happen at camping and everybody feels differently about camping and all of those things. So that was always fun. So I had this idea in my head that I wanted to write a book around that. But then the story that I wanted to weave in that you referred to as about Lockie Short, who is the husband of one of the women, possibly the sort of queen bee of that group. And he is a terrible person. And it's not really in any doubt that he's a terrible person from when you first meet him, but the question is kind of just how terrible and also what you're willing to put up with both in terms of your own in terms of for Liss the protagonist, I guess in terms of her own relationship with him, what you can turn a blind eye to and what you can't, and what you can feel your in control of them what you can't. But also within that friend group is how you know, we're very interested in female friendships, and for good reason. But what are the limitations? You know, what are you willing to again turn a blind eye to within your friendship group? So I really wanted to write about all that, So I kind of put those two ideas together and the plot hopefully it goes back for years that they've been camping previously, but also goes through this one long weekend where a lot of stuff happens.
Speaker 1: It sure does. It's a same friendship is not a mess of camper and I think you've captured camping so well in this and this thing. I don't think she even will be. I don't think you're going to come camping with me.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. I don't mind going tramping. I don't mind not showering, sleeping in doc hats, I don't mind roughing it for a few days. But when it comes to relaxing and being on holiday, I just do it better with the bed, my own toilet and shot and a dick cheer.
Speaker 3: You know. I just that's just me and I'm going to point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I look, I've done some camping and things, but I just, yeah, they just know what maybe suits me, and I'm at an age where I'm just gonna go with it.
Speaker 3: I'm not a huge camp but this is the only time of year that I go camp or maybe one other time. But Brent, my partner, is a big outdoors guy, and he would go camping heaps more. But it's just it's just such fun to do it in this group environment. Every year, you know, somebody's got all the kit, somebody me forgets everything always and just ends up borrowing everybody else's things. It's been so interesting. We went at Easter and our kids are all teenagers now, and it's a very different it's a very different game because now we all want to go to bed at nine o'clock, you know, and then we're like listening out for what the hell they're up to, or as it used to be, we'd try and get them down so we could go and drink red wine around the fire or whatever. Like it's it's it's fun.
Speaker 1: Oh, unlike the book. I hope that you go camping many many years into the future with no nasty partners.
Speaker 2: Well that's you didn't write about the people that you normally kept with people. No, I'm never going to with you again.
Speaker 3: As you can imagine, they were my mother's group friends were very keen to read the book, and I just got the copies when we went away at Easter, so I gave them all a copy. They were scanning it like. I was like, this is what you're as a fiction author. Your friends always think you're writing about them, and you always have to say to them, I promise it's not you. I promise it's not you, and no one ever really believes you. But none of my mother's group friends are in that book. Thank god.
Speaker 1: Oh that's really good. I wish you all a success for that book. It's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Holly Wayne right, thank you very much for your time today. We appreciate it. Thank you for all the conversations you have helping us see the positive side to these wonderful mid years.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me I have absolutely and thank you for putting all this actual expert information out there.
Speaker 1: Well, we hope it's helped a couple of people anyway. All good, Thanks so much, Holly.
Speaker 3: Lovely to meet you.
Speaker 2: So exciting to end season four with hollywayen Wright, wasn't it was?
Speaker 1: I'd been looking forward to speaking with her for some time, and actually, as it's transpired, with her being so busy, having her now was about the perfect timing, I think. From you know, we've had a really interesting season. We've gone quite deep philosophically at times, you know, highs and lows, but I don't know, it was just a nice, well rounded conversation with another midlife woman.
Speaker 2: What episodes have resonated with you or had an impact on you? Well?
Speaker 1: As usual, I don't like to it's not favorites per se, but ones that have really sunken and Oliver because I think I read this book about three times before we spoke to him, So if there hasn't hadn't gone, and I would have been in trouble. And Kathy the running because it's just reminded me how much I love it. Now. You know, Francisca and I have been walking a lot, partly because of an injury to her knee, and now she's just going off. You go go Run, because you could see how inspired I was by my podcast What About You Friendiskin.
Speaker 2: We started with Lara Bryden and she had released a book called The Metabolism Reset, A science based guide for Women on balancing insulin, losing weight, and improving health. That was the title of the book and I picked that up over summer and that was just an absolutely brilliant start for me. The beginning was, yeah, look, the book is really dense. There was so much and we spoke to you know, Lara in the podcast, but we kind of only just touched on on the basics really, and I still don't know whether to what extent I have a metabolic dysfunction, but I know that the amount of sugar and alcohol and the foods and things that I was eating, and the lack of consistency around my exercise, and that the impact that was having on all other aspects of my life. I knew that I needed to make a change and she just has inspired me to do that. And you know, we're three months down and I'm happy to say that, you know, all those things have improved. I've been to the doctor recently and who was you know, a little taken back that the scales had gone down and my blood pressure was down, and was really nice to get that kind of validation to the work I've been doing. Here's the thing, the whole idea of so what I've been doing is sheltering, and I love this term. Sheltering from alcohol, sugar and ultra processed food. Doesn't mean I don't have those things. I still do. I still have a couple of glasses of wine a week, just not every night. The sugar has been a fascinating thing to knock out of my life. But I'm still eating fruit and have the occasional treating. My goodness, did I go to town over Easter with east eggs? My body is now not craving those foods. So when I have a bit of a treat and having an any time, I then go back to craving the good foods that I'm putting in. And I am noticing a difference across the board. So that has actually been massive. I think it's probably going to take me a year to get to where I want to be, as you know, as lovely as it is seeing the weight come off and things like that, it's going to take time. But it's all totally sustainable like I don't. I don't go hungry, and I don't feel like I have made changes that are really hard to keep the actually becoming very natural now and I don't have that problem with satiety like I eat and I'm full, and then I get hungry again, like proper hunger just before lunch or dinner, and I eat again and I'm full. I don't have this constant feeling that I can't get full. So that's been huge for me, you know, and it's going to be an ongoing process, but that was absolutely massive. Look, I think the other episode that I found really special was the grief episode with Dr Denise Quinlan, and that is because I think she's an extraordinary woman and I a little bit like what Holly was saying. I was a bit worried that this could be a topic which is a bit triggering for people or not the right time. And yet I know people who've listened to it very soon after losing someone and have found great comfort and reassurance in it. And I think that's because of Denise and just how extraordinary she was and the information she had and the help that she got.
Speaker 1: That was what So my eighty five year old stepmother lost her husband when she was only maybe forty even maybe younger, with four children, and she listened to that. At eighty five, she felt compelled to bring her colleagues from thirty forty years previous to thank them for being so incredible to her when she returned to work after the loss of her husband. It was quite profound. And for me, having lost my mother at thirteen, it was suddenly this acceptance that I'm fifty three and I can still feel sad about that. That's actually fine. I can still feel sad that she didn't meet a grandchildren. I can still wax and wayne and and not put any kind of full stop on how you feel about it.
Speaker 2: We do these episodes because we hope that somewhere amongst them there'll be a gym that helps people. Right, That's why we do them. We want to help people. And we just got the most incredible feedback on that episode. And look, I just want to say thank you to all our guests this season. Everyone is so incredibly generous with their time and their knowledge and what they you know, what they share with us. I also love Lisa Matson, who was our makeup artist. She just gave us so much information and look the one thing she and she wanted to keep going, but we ran out of time. But when she left, she said to us, I didn't get around talking about colors, and I want, you know, middle aged women to know that the burgundy and purples are good on the eye. And can I just say that's what I've gone on to day noise.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm loving.
Speaker 2: I'm just sharing that last bit of information.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was actually beautiful. Also the blush. The blush was such a good little pisitive advice and cleaning your brushes and sponges. Look, you know, talking and listening has as a privilege and we are really really lucky that we are. We're heard and listened to, and we hope that we also do that for our guests and make sure that we are conveying their lessons to us and New Francisca. That's beautiful. You've always said as a good student, but look at you with Lara.
Speaker 2: Well, finally season four folks come through.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us on our New Zealand Herald podcast series The Little Things. Yes, this is our last episode for season four. It has been awesome having you along for the ride. Hey, Please feel free to share these podcasts with women in your lives, and if you haven't already, feel free to check out seasons one to three as well. You can follow this podcast on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and for more on this and other topics. Here to endzed Herald dot co dot NZED and.
Speaker 2: Hopefully we'll catch you next time on the Little Things. Take care, Bye bye