Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks B Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: It's been a highly anticipated build up, Elliott. Hasn't it a good tour? Three interesting enough tour games underwhelming in some respects, But I think it's been hugely beneficial for the All Blacks to be here for that length of time, to have had a game at altitude, to have that big squad together. Dave and He's talked a lot about having a captive audience and all those sorts of things. But it's all shadow boxing, as you say. We have the two teams of the trophy, we've heard from Fitsie and every Man and their Dog, and now we're ready to rock up to Alis Park and witness what I hope will be a great occasion that is determined by the players.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's hope that is indeed the case. Let's get into the two teams first and foremost, the All Blacks named, and no real surprises. Per SAG, You'd say Fabian Holland is a bit of a surprise in the second row because it felt like they were maybe aiming to get him going in Cape Town from a test perspective, and Patrick dow belot too. Maybe Sam Dowry might have been the option here alongside Josh Lord, who I think was always locked in probably the start. I mean, what a nine to twelve months Josh Lord said. But Fabin and Holland getting the nod, was it the big surprise for you out of the run on sign?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think so. Like you, I thought far been just because of the fact he missed the entire Super Rugby and the July Test coming back from that shoulder surgery, that he might have needed a wee bit more game time. Lock. He was exceptional. He has insatiable work great. He is a real line out asset in terms of stealing ball, which I think as an area of the all Black swall target the box. So my expectation was they would go of Josh Lord and Patrick two blow too, particularly after the performance from two plow two. He was pretty close to man of the match, wasn't he against Ireland at Eden Park? And I do think they will potentially miss him both from a scrummaging power perspective and ball carring. I do have some stats I have prepared for you that I'll throw you at some point to bring this in, but I don't think you can deny Fabian Holland as thoroughly deserving of his place there. And as you say, Josh Lord's been a massive mover for Bill Blacks in at the back end of Razes tenure and coming into this year. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Looking at the rest of the team, you know pretty much has gone to the way that we thought. Josh Moreby on the left wing has been a big mover so far this year since our debuting against Italy in Wellington last month, felt like he had the inside track even with Caleb Clark, or before Caleb Clark got injured, to start on the left wing for this game. And then the question marks are around the fitness of three players really, Roy guard Jordan McKenzie. All have been cleared to play this week soon A movee that McKenzie was probably the most serious out of the three, even though he had been out the shortest amount of time. But he's been cleared to go. We saw him at training on Tuesday. We get a huge amount of time to look at these things. Didn't goalkick, but seemed to be moving relatively freely for at least when I was looking at him. Apart from when we were recording a video almost got sconned a few times by some missiles coming through. But you know, is it a risk do you think getting these players in it's a four match series. I guess the importance of winning the first one is power amount. But you know, I'm sure they wouldn't be playing if they're not fully fit, but would have been better to give him, you know, another week's rest per se.
Speaker 2: We heard from Cam Roygard and Will Jordan today, didn't we end They both extremely confident that they're good to go. You know, both those guys weren't probably going to play much, particularly roy Guard even going to play thirty minutes. So look, you can only take them at their word, but players are desperate to play and they're always going to tell you they're good to go. And I think it is a rusk with McKenzie because clearly he looked, it looked awkward and he was brought off in the Shark's game and the back into the first half. I think it was Rennie was edamant it was fine, and then he said he was sweating on him and then now he's good to go, and I can just imagine McKenzie just pushing it and saying he's good, he's good, and so I think there is a risk around him that he's gonna cop so much high ball if he comes down on it awkwardly, if he gets tackled awkwardly, I think it could flare up again. So I think there is an element of rust with McKenzie.
Speaker 3: Who would move into fullback if he was injured? Do you think because Leroy Carter's on the bench, would they move Jordan? You'd move Jordan into full back and Carter comes on the wing. He wouldn't move Arett into fullback and put Anteline and Brown on at that point.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. I think Jordi Barrett's importance for Reuben and Love cannot be understated in his ability to be to help him with his eyes and ears, to help run the attack, his big kicking game as well. He can do some of those things from full back, but not to the same extent. So I'd be loath to shake that up too early. And it's our understanding as well that had Damian McKenzie been ruled out, Will Jordan would have started at fullback and not Boden Barretts so I think that's probably where they would have gone.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Interesting, that would be probably the most likely and probably the most singless option in terms of not moving too many parts of the back line around just on the bench, you know, Leroy cardigting the nod over her or Rico youani a little bit of a surprise for me. I just wonder whether that seven skill set of Leroy Carter's, and for he was a sevens player as well, and Rico in the distant past too, but with a LeRoy's ability just at altitude to try and run around the spring box a little bit might be more their thinking. You know, you don't get the power that you would with a thinny young and all for but Leroy Carter potentially just try and stretch somebody's tiring springbox defenders.
Speaker 2: Potentially, Yeah, I would have liked to have seen for him been included. I think he's much more of a point of difference in terms of his power, his ability to beat a man one on one. I think he's a really strong defender. Maybe they've still got some concerns about him under the high ball, and I think le Roy Carter certainly has a higher work rate, which Dave Rennie likes, so I would have probably gone for he and I was also surprised that they went George Bauer over Xavier new Mayor, and Rennie was asked about that at Press Current today and indicated that he was fit and that he went with George Bauer was purely a selection decision. So for me, that's probably the conservative option.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, he kind of huges his bets a little bit Rini because he said, you know, it was a it was a decision based on form or based on experience of George Bauer, but also to me had an Achlly's issue that saw him come off against half at half time against the Balls. So perhaps there's a little bit of you know, a little from Colin a a little from colmb sort of scenario there. Because I'm sure seeing Amiya come in again potentially for the second Eastern Cape, it surprised me to see him not play a role in this Test series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we haven't seen a lot of them for the All Blacks, but I think when what we have seen has been very good. So he came off the bench against Islands and he started against the Bulls, albeit against a weekend Bulls team, but that was with tyro A Lomax and Cody Taylor, and that was zell Blacks by far the best scrummaging performance on this tour. So that was a relative box ticked. So yeah, I'd like to see more of Xavier Numia.
Speaker 3: Do you want to help me with those stats?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: Would that be all right?
Speaker 2: It is timely? Yeah, why not? So? I think these stats, Elliott, they're just going to paint a bit of a picture for you here, okay, for the team's relative strengths. So since the twenty twenty three will cut South Africa boasts the four top props with the highest percentage of scrump penalties, now that's not necessarily a shock, but three of them will call low Steam Camp and young Hendrik Vessels will pack down against the All Blacks, and the other is obviously ox Niche, who's widely regarded as the world's best scrimmager. So that's clearly where they're going to come for the All Blacks, and that the stats bear that outs that they scrump for penalties, they get penalties, so they'll blocks be aware of that. But I just think without Patrick two Polo too, I do worry a little bit about the scrum strength. So that's one another telling point to where the Box generate the momentum. France and South Africa were the only teams and the three July Internationals to average four or more meters per carries. Your Blacks ranked eighth and the same window, so clearly the Box are generating a lot more go forward. And I do have concerns when I look at the composition of the All Blacks forward pack about their ability to bend and break the line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do it as well. I think Holland is getting there, and we saw him roaming around on the weekend at loftus verse Feld. But I think especially with you know YouTube advised moved into a blindside and he adds a plenty of line out time he's I think you lose a bit by having not having an explosive six.
Speaker 2: He's not a natural six, natural six, and even though I spoke to him this sweet it's that there's a big adjustment. It wasn't on as Bingo card to play there this year, So yeah, you get more height in the LINEU, but I think you do compromise that when you compare them to a Peter Luckeye both from ball carrying and a speed and agility on the edge and just on that the two of those locks are gonna have to play eighty minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there was no come on there at altitude. Yeah, it is a risk, and that's why I probably would have leant towards a six to two bench in all honesty, I think especially this game at altitude, you probably could have afforded to maybe trust your back Maybe with Cam Royguard being injured and Will Jordan and Damien McKenzie, they didn't feel like they could go with a six to two bench just because those players are coming off injuries, so potentially that would have been one of the reasons. But I would have liked having a lot cover in a game like this, And maybe you go with a you Preston and a Carter or Preston and a fine Young and off is your your backline cover potentially, so perhaps that's come into it, but I would have I would have liked some lock covered when we sent had good Toto has been coming off the bench for the All Blacks over the last three four years, thirty minutes off the bench, he's been really really dynamics, a real weapon. Yeah, so I personally would have gone with a six to two bench and had in there or maybe Darry's been carrying exception. He's probably been the All Blacks best locked so far this year in terms of the test matches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't Darry has been great. I don't think he has the same physicality as some of the other All Blacks locks and will come to the box team, I'm sure. But they have got a five to three six to two bench with on Andre Estahesen fulfilling that lestifying Anoku hybrid role. So that's a real trunk card for them and just one last step for you. In terms of the contrasts, So the All Black strength third behind France and Ireland for average attacking ruck speed in July with two point nine to five seconds. The Springboks were by far the slowest with four point two six seconds. So for all the talk about this slow pace game this week and who's telling Porky's and whatnot, that, I think that does speak to the All Black's desire to play at pace and the spring Boks probably kicking a lot more from the base and taking their time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're exactly right there. And look, this has been one of the backdrops to the week. Hasn't it the sniping? I guess you'd call it between the two sides. We saw Russy Erasmus well out Yuka Piper on Monday local time, Yucko Pipeer the former test referee of course, and our national laws advisor to South African rugby talking about how they've been perfectly within the limits of setting lineouts and various things. And then they doubled down on a Tuesday with Felix Jones coming out and pointing out a few things that the Shark Stormers Bulls coached offered up to them about what the All Blacks were doing illegally in those games, and Dave Renny coming out today and going, well, actually, no will penalise once, didn't do it again in terms of polling players down in the all or thrown players across the line that it's been once and done. So, you know, this goes back to the top around the shadow boxing is that this is all part of the theater of rugby and with the way the rules are now that both coaches have to agree to meet before they can do so, it kind of creates a scenario where they're going to do this in the media because there's no either way for it to get, you know, into the path of the referee. Really, they've got to be reading it online or you know, in the newspaper over their morning coffee, whether it's Matthew Carve or whoever it might be, because they can't meet because neither coach decided to or Russie didn't, so it meant Reddy couldn't either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really don't like the public exerting of pressure on the official zen. Look, Rennie, you could argue he might have started it by talking about the South African franchises, not the spring Box slowing the pacey reference that the Sharks taking fifty seconds to form an out and look, if we're being honest, we have seen the spring walk slow the pace, whether it be feigning injuries or using the a lot of time to go to the set piece.
Speaker 3: And there are a couple ofications els did it lost this vest help and.
Speaker 2: They're allowed to use that a lot of time? It's it's it's the other stuff. But I don't like the winging. I think it detracts from the spectacle call I don't think we needed in the game. So I think it's been left a wee bit of a sour taste because the Springboks are being very avert about that this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was interesting. We went to both into Russia Rasmus this Thursday team naming conference you only get in the day, and didn't really go there. Again, decided I wasn't really asked a question about it to decide, I didn't really bring it into the topic of conversation today. So maybe he's happy to let sleeping dogs lie and just get on with the game on Saturday, which I think would be good for everyone.
Speaker 2: It would just before we leave. The officials will have to be squeaky clean. I looked and Matthew Carley, the Englishman, he dished out three yellow cards. So last time Neil Blacks in South Africa, I think you're at that game in keep Town. And three more when the All Blacks said that humbling loss to the box at Twickenham. Scott Barrett cop two of those prior to the twenty twenty three World Cups. So not shy of flashing the card as Carly.
Speaker 3: No, he's not, and the All Blacks have not beat in South Africa with him in charge. They've got an zero and three record with him with the whistle they have. I think I think it's a five and three record overall with Carli, but all those wins not coming against South Africa. South Africa with a seven win two loss record. I don't know how much you reading so previous referee history and with that matters, but world right, we put it out of the match notes, so clearly something that we can talk about.
Speaker 2: You. Yeah, I think you can read more into trends and styles are referring and Carlie is certainly a stickler. He will come hard and earlier about some things. And yeah, he won't be afraid to send players to the naughty chef if he wants the stampers authority early.
Speaker 3: No, exactly. Look and look, I've had some comments about the referees previously on the podcast, but again they're not only doing what Wild Rugby's ask them too. And so let's hope that Carli, I, Mischa, Kelly Gardner and Dixon, you know, just referee to the spirit of the series. And we're not talking about a decision they mate. We're talking about a moment of brilliance that the All Blacks do or South Africa do. Let's hope we're talking about the rugby. Ultimately on the park.
Speaker 2: YEP, that's what everyone wants. Look, it's gonna be a Alice Park is one of the great arenas in world rugby. It's hard to beat and you just want the rugby to do the talking.
Speaker 4: To you do.
Speaker 3: Indeed, speaking of someone's going to do talking, you spoke to Ruben Love during the week. We'll close out the podcast the few thoughts from Ruben Love. But let's talk about the spring Box and their team. No s Calisi. At one point we thought he was out for the series. The russy Erasmus said on Monday that I might be all right for this week. Well, ultimately he's not. They don't lose a lot because Paul de Ville is in the six years he had an exceptional July window.
Speaker 2: He's the next big thing, isn't he? Twenty three year old Tyro.
Speaker 3: And Peter steff Detoy captaining them Oxnetzsche, it is good to go from that injury. You know, Malcolm Mark starts. You know a lot of questions around what they do at ten, but Sasha Feinberg and Goneozulu to start at tea and they've got Marley Liboc waiting in the wings. Remember Hondre Pollard this week. I haven't seen the last of Hondre, I'm sure in this series. So they've got plenty of options, but relatively predictable sort of team by and large from the spring Box. And you look at the back line. And he didn't have a lot to say at the media conference today, but Damian Vellen's so I can still remember how we just carved up the All Blacks last time Ada in Wellington.
Speaker 2: He's a weapon.
Speaker 3: He was absolute weapon and he was absolutely bouncing on him speaking to Jason Pine on sideline with us and he was sort of rocking after a stunning performance. And if he gets going, the All Blacks are in a bit of strife. So look, a really good spring Box team was never not going to be a good Springboks team whoever they picked. But yeah, you can look at that, and you mentioned the props and things like that before the size of the challenge. You know, now, wait's the All Blacks, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, when he rolls out that team, you're like, oh shit, you're not missing about here. No, it's gonna be bloody tough. Damien Delende playing his hundredth Just the names in that pack. Evan needs to be Yeah, Malcolm Marx will player of the Year last year. Just there multiple threats at the breakdown in particular. You know the All Backs want to play at pace. I think they are gonna find it a real challenge. They need to get their cleaners in and numbers. I think Roygard's a real asset there, his size, his ability to shake off defenders and deal with rut pressure. This is his first start against the spring Box. I'm really intrigued to see how he goes a wee bit surprised that Sasha to get the nods. Obviously they've got great depth there, but he's only had one game in two months since coming back from the ankle injury and it was really scratchy, albeit in a makeshift spring Box team. They left half their squads in South Africa for that game in Argentina. But he is the golden boy and together with Grant Williams. Does that perhaps suggest that they might play a wee bit more rugby than most people expect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, potentially, and it'll be interesting at Alice Park because I thought that they'd probably go Sasha in Cape Town and maybe start Leboc or Pollard here potentially a little bit more expansive. You know, Russ, He's talked a lot about the All Blacks and what they're going to do and the way they want to play at pace. But it wouldn't surprise me and the Springbox will scrum for penalties, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them try and take on the All Blacks alien and whether they can last Friday minutes and pace that way. But it wouldn't surprise me just to try and maybe see them try and make a statement inside that opening twenty minutes and play with a lot of heat against the All Blacks.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is a different style of ten, but he actually often or has the ability to play twelve. He's quite big and physical, so he can challenge the line, take contact, offload so that attracts defenders. He's very silky and other regards as well, but hasn't had a lot of rugby lately. But I'm sure both Tony Brown behind the scenes will be cooking up a few specials, a few specials, and i think particularly from the line outs, Neil Barnes and Jason Ryan will be trying to devise something similar. So it'd be interesting to see if they get the platform to launch those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, line still sticks me. Stick with me that Scott Robertson said back when he was Crusader's coach and Tony Brown was at the Highlanders at that point, and Scott Robertson said that Tony Brown's got more specials than Brisco's, so great, we will see what he's got up his sleeves.
Speaker 2: Just on Russy, you mentioned we went to his prescurrence today. What did you make? Was it mind games? He's adamant that the third game is going to be the defining one to the point that he was talking about and also just this level of detail of knowledge about the average minutes of the All Blacks and comparing them to the spring Box. The fact that the All Blacks have nine new players in the squad that they didn't that the spring Box didn't play last year. He nominated them all in the starting team, three in the starting team and six on the bench, and so his analysis is a very very detail. But Russy adamant that the third game in this series is going to be the defining one, to the point that managing minutes is very important keeping players fresh, which will be easier for the box given their depth, Is that taking pressure off this first test? Or what did you make of I guess just that sort of statement.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it was a bit of a surprise in a way because I hadn't considered that sort of thought. But he's right. The third is going to be utimately defining whether some teams up to nil after two weeks and they can go and win it in Sueto in week three. I get the sentence that he thinks this is gonna be a tight series and that if you win in Sueto it's two to one, you probably go to Baltimore with a bit of momentum. It's a long flights, or to Washington, DC, wherever both the teams are going to land. He probably go with a bit of momentum, whereas the team to one down it probably isn't gonna go with as much momentum. Could be a long flight, all that sort of things. So I think he's probably right. And he sort of suggested that with Segur is that you know, if he's playing game three, then they're probably in good neck. And he compared it to the World Cup run, you know, a quarter final, semi finals finals.
Speaker 2: So we mentioned the fact they lost the first game in the British Irish Lions series, came back and won that. They were the first team in history to drop a World Cup Pool game and still respond and regroup and win that twice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, they're all about rising for the big occasion of the spring Box and they certainly know how to do it. So you know if Russy, if Russy says it, then it must be true. So well and see how it all unfolds. But the stage is a certainly set forward. You know, this game to get under Wagh. As I mentioned, you spoke with Ruben Love on this tour and got some thoughts around him. Fascinated to see how he goes. Biggest test of his career.
Speaker 2: Isn't it absolutely facing the Box in South Africa for the first time in his fourth test, seizing the reins and yeah, massive occasion for him and many others. I think he's played a wee bit within himself at times and it's going to be interesting to see how that stage affects him and everything from the spring Box line speed. You know, facing these things for the first time, You've got Delende and Creole and all the big Box forward pack charging it. He doesn't like bravery, but there's gonna be a lot to deal with. I think he is very inherently confident, so I don't expect them to be overawed. But I hope you've got the the confidence to throw that long ball if it's on and and not going to a shell a little bit, that'll be a fascinating scenario.
Speaker 3: Let's here about to your chat with Rubin love for now here on Rugby the Ricks.
Speaker 5: Yes, I can reflect on the year, Rubin, How's how's has it been? Probably must take a lot of confidence for everything that's even.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's definitely felt like a long, longer season than I've been spinning, for sure, because you go NonStop since since Jenny or even from the end of at all last year. It's just going to be a non stop working towards one goal for the Super Ugly Final and getting there, and then you know three days later you're on all backs camp. So yeah, it heavens real quick. And yeah, I guess there's a lot on a lot of All Becks games, so it's like the biggest calendar year.
Speaker 4: So I didn't want to try you too far here.
Speaker 6: I think we focused on frost here and the Navy's camp was just like game by game because there's so many games, especially this tour moment in Africa, there's there's eight games in something like six weeks.
Speaker 4: Just being able to take a game by game and just making sure it's pure enjoyment not becoming like a job.
Speaker 2: You've had to be patient, right, you know, and years gone by, and the seen you mentioned coming out here in twenty four and not playing, and then that last year was I think you might have played a couple of games.
Speaker 5: But how much are you relishing.
Speaker 2: Being backed you know, been throwing the keys and and and you know, running.
Speaker 4: The gator for hill Blacks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's pretty special because, like you said, the two year period that I was there and didn't really play much, I was, I was training a lot of the time, and certainly allowed me to look at myself a little bit more like on the field and off the field, like why why I wasn't playing And purely for the fact the last two years I probably wasn't good enough. And you have to you have to take that personally and reflect on your game.
Speaker 4: And I think that was a.
Speaker 6: Big personal note for me over the last off season that I had after the NBA to all last year, it was just it's my second year, Like I haven't played.
Speaker 4: I haven't.
Speaker 6: Like cemented the position or anything like that. So it's just like I just want to put everything into this offseason, train hard, go back home and see the people that I love them and be around them and find that inspiration. And I feel like I did dead and especially that December on remember decend, December January period, it was just like br didn't see any of my teammates. It was just people that I grew up with back home, a Parmey, Foxton, Yea, and.
Speaker 4: How my parents basically lived there.
Speaker 6: So I just spent all my time there and just had a common goal at the end of the off season to want to be the tenth of a Hurricans and the tenth for the all works. And it took a lot of hard work out, more like off the fielder than anything to have the self belief and I feel like I can thought, so yeah, it's worked out okay, but it's still so a long way to go and haven't done anything yet.
Speaker 5: I've spent all their fox and friends. You know, you throughout your career prior to this year, you moved between.
Speaker 2: Ten and fifteen a lot, right, how much is committing to ten and then having that time and they set off for the games.
Speaker 5: Propelled you into this position.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just think back to but I started the Hurricanes Jason Holland believed the me when I was nineteen and then got injured for the best part of two Super seasons with microin and in their interim like Britt Cameron was unreal and I came back and paid fullback for a while. But in my head, I still believe that I was a ten and like for Chase or Alf to see me as a ten, and I think it was like twenty to twenty one and I didn't even believe in myself meant so much to me then and Clark having that conversation with me the middle of last year about where I want to play and like went back in ten. Had like them having the trust in me, and because the times bro like if anyone says they're one hundred percent of confidence in themselves every single nay.
Speaker 4: Like they're life.
Speaker 6: So there were definitely times of doubt. Bad games, bad trainings came on like a roller coaster. So but them waver and support when I'll be going to sleep and night was like far right man, like, I gotta believe in myself because they do as well. And so yeah, there's those two guys support honestly meant the world to me.
Speaker 4: Even when I was an All Backs environment.
Speaker 6: Those two were text me health or Jason Holland and Clark just be like, just keep pushing, keep getting rids. At ten, I definite would have been playing ten for the All Backs now if it wasn't for them, Like I genuinely believed that. So yeah, those those two allowed me to bet myself at.
Speaker 2: Ten would have been the big shift shift head to make a new game because that's similar positions are a ten and fifteen, but ten is so much more on your shoulders.
Speaker 5: From a game driving perspective, what have you learned throughout the year? What changes have you made in your game?
Speaker 6: Obviously there's a lot of tech components of it. Being able to read the game field, the momentum swings make plays more so in the middle of the field rather than the fullback who's probably a little bit wider and going like away from the technic kealies of the game. That's more like being like a leader, like being able to have to look at myself. How's my body language? How am I presenting myself to the team. Am I giving the boys confidence? Am I giving energy to the boys? Orm I taking away from them? And I feel like that's a key part of where I've had to grow on TJ but helped me a lot with that, you know, through texts and calls.
Speaker 4: How man Japan's telling me like all.
Speaker 6: These little things because he's been there, played with a lot of good teams Broughs, So yeah, it's more like as a teammate, I feel like that's where I've really had to kind of look introspectively and just think, how can I lead the boys off the field just as much as on it, because you have to give confidence to the team, You have to brief life into it, and you have to believe all the players that you run because I have to present.
Speaker 4: It to everyone.
Speaker 6: So it's definitely a big change that I've got a sister.
Speaker 4: I just feel like I've got one opportunity in my love.
Speaker 6: To do something special and at the moment, it's probably this period to play ten and yeah, I just want to carry on the great legacy of teens that he's on said, and.
Speaker 5: The balance between instinctive and playing within the structure. What's it late Because.
Speaker 2: You know you've got pace, acceleration and play eyes up for the but then particular listen level. Imagine there's a lot that goes into the detail around structures and all that.
Speaker 4: Sort of thing.
Speaker 5: What's their balance?
Speaker 6: Like you're the bitty you prepare and the closer you work with the way the coaches want to play that allows you to be instinctive.
Speaker 4: And I feel like one thing that we did well.
Speaker 6: In the previous like three tests back home and enz was we all were on the same wavelength around structure and instincts, and our instincts became.
Speaker 4: I'll say, you aligned with the structures that we want to play. And yeah, like I know the running.
Speaker 6: Game for all of us is there, but it's about you know, if the weather Paxson, or if there's momentum swings in the game, how can we regain that through not necessarily in the wall could be going or we're finding it in different ways.
Speaker 4: So yeah, Like.
Speaker 6: It's been working real close with Mike. Mike Lear is an awesome coach, bro like, and he's helping. He's just around Like what you said, the instinct of players and structure, but at the moment still don't want to complicate it, Like I know these next few games are gonna be a way.
Speaker 4: Different terms sire, all the kind of things. So yeah, I keep keep riding the wave and know that.
Speaker 6: All the keys that the coaches are giving me allow us to get out of pressure moments.
Speaker 5: Touched on a wee bit neither Mike Blear, but my rings coming in as well.
Speaker 2: From the outside, it seems like there's been some big chefs, particularly on attack and that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: How much has changed and how much are you relishing what they brought to the fault?
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: He's a great coach.
Speaker 6: He's a hum One thing I really admire about him, bro as he's he's the same, Like he treats you the same no matter how you play and this na Yeah, so just like the man he is off the field, like he's honorable, he's everything you wanted to coach.
Speaker 4: But like he's straightforward to the point.
Speaker 6: And I've only had a few of those coaches in my career, but those are the ones that get the best out of the whole group, not just in particular players. But yeah, he's got a great mind for for counter attacks. He's really taken charge on encounter and there's little nuanswers in our attack. I don't want to speak about too much, but there's no little things like short passing game. It's a long passing game, possessioning, backfield positioning. So I know he helps out a lot with the Fords too, So he must have played every position one to fifteen then thet the last time a currently.
Speaker 5: But it sort of suits suits your style as well. I guess up team play, use the ball, use.
Speaker 4: The width of lessons.
Speaker 6: I think, yeah, a lot of it's just if you see space, take it and analysts and rugby pundits want to complicate and stuff, and obviously there's a lot of technical work and technical work behind it, but the main feature is the there's space, broadtaker. We've got the New Zealand groscerries rugby producers, some of the best up footy players in the world, and in recent times we've probably sipped away from that as a more boat team. But now we just want to go back to backing one on ones and our carriers, backing our decision makers if they've got time on the ball and that kind of stuff. So Rends has all been about just if you see supposed to take it with him Sprom plus coup.
Speaker 3: Well that about does this? Good to hear from Ruben Love on the podcast and can't wait for kickoff three am Sunday, New Zealand. Time Liam give us a prediction.
Speaker 2: I was quietly confident until I saw the teams, and then I think it really hit home. Why the box of back to back Wheelchup Cup champions. Why they've won twelve in a row since their last loss at Eden Park. So I'm gonna have to tip the box. I just I looked at that team. It's so formidable. You look at their bench, it's so settled. They've got cohesion right across the board. So I'd love to see the All Blacks do it, but I can't not tip the box.
Speaker 3: I'm going to be all Blacks by three.
Speaker 2: There you go based on at.
Speaker 3: Nothing much really, but it vibes. We'll see how it goes. We're back with you postgame to reflect and wrap on it all. Thanks as always to Mark Kelly for producing. We are of course powered by Folklift Solutions, lifting you and your business to a higher level.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk sed B, listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio