Speaker 1: Dinna Koto and marste Alter and welcome to the BYC Podcast, coming to you from the Export Beer Garden studio in the midst of a week dominated by Indian winds, Indians, Indian flags and Indian helpable relief. This week we reflect on the T twenty World Cup Dani Mom and what it all really means. We gloss over to annihilations of the white Ferns. We dig into some correspondence from our legendary listeners and wash it all down with some cricket violence juice from Pakistani I'm Paul Ford, godfather of the Beige Brigade. I'm joined by Master of the New Zealand Cricket Scoop, Dylan Cleaver, our pleasy DNDE of the Substack sports newsletter Unmissible writing in there the bounce absolute belter of the newsletter. Highly recommend and I pay for it. DC. Did you bust out your green, orange and white face paint and body paint this week?
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 3: Actually, it was a really niggli time to watch it, and I've got a confession. I did watch the match in full, but unfortunately I already knew the result before I watched the end of it, but I still found myself weirdly excited because I didn't actually I didn't realize the permutations that got us to that Indian victory. And really how I think we'll address this a little bit later, but how South Africa were knocking on the door of history and it was unlocked, yet they couldn't find a way through.
Speaker 1: Yes, for the three people in the whole cricket and universe that don't know what happened. Of course, India a one hundred and seventy six for seven off their twenty others, the rat Rat Holy finding some form seventy six off fifty nine balls in the miracle, man akshar Ptel with forty seven off thirty one, and Nortie and Kishev Maharaj the pick of the bowlers. And then the South African chase which looks so bad, then so good and then ultimately failed, one sixty nine for eight off their twenty overs. Massive innings from Heinrich class and the Basher Quintin de Kock was superb. David Millard did some good things, and it was Hardik Pandia with the most wickets, but it was Jasper, yes, but Boomra that man, that miracle man again, who was a real factor in that final. Dylan. I thought it was an excellent final, actually played on one of the best pitchers in the tournament, and definitely between the two best teams. Of course, they both went into the match unbeaten, having won eight matches in a row. There were some foi balls and some bullshit in the format. You know, there was some shenanigans I think around how it all came together, but we can't really argue with what the final that was produced.
Speaker 2: I thought it was excellent.
Speaker 3: You had two teams that are clearly committed to the T twenty, and you can see that by their domestic competitions, which are throwing a lot of money, a lot of resource, a lot of time at two best teams of the tournament are traditional cricket venue in a town or a city that breathes cricket and has just such great lineage of world class players, possibly.
Speaker 2: The greatest of them all.
Speaker 3: And Gary Sobers and so everything about it felt right. It was.
Speaker 2: It was just a.
Speaker 3: Really good game of cricket. Verat Poly in his last T twenty, I know it goes out a winner goes out with.
Speaker 2: Some class I didn't actually realize.
Speaker 3: Did you realize what a drought it had been for India at ICC tournaments? I just kind of assume that they win these kind of things all the time, but it was it actually been got to a point where there was some real anxiety on the subcontinent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I expected to win. I think it's probably I mean, there's just so much overwhelming coverage about them, particularly when these tournaments roll around, right, But I think it's a thirteen year drought, isn't it. They've lost the most recently the fifty over final at home, where literally the entire Indian state expected them to win, and of course multiple World Test Championship finals. They're always I mean, they were a sensational team, but as you say that, the pressure continued to build and certainly over the last thirteen years they had not managed to deliver.
Speaker 3: Yes, the twenty eleven World Cup I think was the last one, and yeah, there was certainly a lot of fretting going along. As you mentioned that South Africa started poorly, but let's be honest here they got themselves into a precision position one hundred and fifty one four after sixteen overs. That is a Doddle twenty six of twenty four with two set players, not just two set players, but Klassen and Miller, who were t twenty.
Speaker 2: Gods with the bat. How did they lose from there?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I don't know. I mean, obviously it would be very easy to just say they choked, but you did. When you're watching the game, you did always feel because it was real that the joker in the pack was still those two overs that Boomra had up his sleeve, and you knew that if he could come out and wreck and havoc that South Africa and Tail even sort of that lower order good players. But it did feel like some of those guys are batting maybe a little bit higher than you'd ideally want them to do really kind of so Evrica very reliant on their their top five really, and after that, you know, with Maharaj and Yansen coming in, it did feel like they were you didn't want to see them just quite that early, to be honest. And so yeah, look, I'm reluctant to call it a choke, you know, I think it was a it was just a boomrai actually, And you know, as you say, they were in trouble early and they were actually in trouble sort of reasonably late as well. It was really that not from class in that twenty seven ball fifty two, but yes you did think as well twenty six off twenty four they should be okay, a very well timed injury break. I'm not reading anything into it. Was literally just a momentum breaker from Richard punt and then when they came back Class and of course just gave us wicked away. Just you can't criticize in those blazing at everything, very unlikely that he was going to come out and just knock it around ones and twos, which is kind of what the situation. That's all the situation needed.
Speaker 3: Frustratingly, Yeah, well that's exactly right. I mean, boomra bowl. That's seventeenth over and I'm sitting there watching it, admittedly already knowing the result, saying just get your six singles. You can do all the damage at the other end. Instead, as you mentioned, Class gave his wicked away. You're dead right, Marco Jensen. Yensen, batting at least one position too high at number seven, comes out and tries to block, tries to play a traditional cricket for defense, and gets his Poles knocked it and from that moment on you could feel the tremors in the South Africa and dug out and I just had well.
Speaker 2: I didn't have the feeling. I knew it.
Speaker 3: I knew they were going to fall short, but you could almost sense that hope fading away. Each person that came to the wicket was a little less confident than the last one.
Speaker 2: And yeah, in the end, in the end, the best team one.
Speaker 3: And in some ways it was hard to gauge that earlier in this tournament because some of the conditions they played on were it was such a lottery because the format possibly needs to be ironed out ahead of the next one. But in the end, I think, you know, the best team won and we was waving goodbye to a few t twenty legends after this World Cup, like came Williamson, Ravi Jadasa who was just a non factor brit India in this tournament, row At Sharma and Verat Kohley who had a dreadful tournament until went. It really really made a motion.
Speaker 1: That's right, what I think seventy five He had seventy five runs in the tournament. That's across eight games. I can't I be bad at eight times, but let's just say roughly, and then scored seventy six in the final, and yeah, he was superban and went through the gears. I did love. Of course. There was lots of talking we've touched on this about the joy and the palpable relief and also the redemption arc of India. And I saw a couple of reporters sort of pretty obvious to acknowledge a redemption song by Bob Marley, of course, and Bob Marley Country over there. But you know, I'm not quite sure that we can. It's probably drawing quite a long bow to say that this Cricket World Cup was the story about a team that had been abducted into slavery fighting for their physical and mental freedom. I just feel like that might be a little bit kind of gilding the lily.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, they didn't play a Jamaica reve which is actually Bob Marley's hometown.
Speaker 1: Totally totally good luck. If you were traveling from anywhere trying to get to that game apparently was absolutely apocalyptic. If you were a journalist who was not part of the TV commentary crew, if you were a person who was not a player, or an umpire apparently, just the absolutely ridiculous situation where you traveled for ten hours in what is a direct one hour flight from a couple of the semi final venues. I know the English media were absolutely raging, not that they were there, so they didn't need to worry too much. Yeah, you mentioned DC those delivery, the delivery to to Marko Jensen, and there was another sensational delivery to Resa Hendrix, who has had a pretty difficult tournament, felt like a bit of a walking wicket, and boom used up one of his best deliveries on caustling him. I saw Kracken vocal Boomra and I really related to this. When I was watching those last the sort of last chapter of that game. They said Boomra is like phone. He is like the phone a friend and who wants to be a millionaire. He's like your lifeline. You know he's going to do something and it's just a matter of when you're going to play that card. I mean, that's a pretty extraordinary position for a for a player to be in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he is that good, isn't he. I actually might assigned one of those previous wickets to him. Incorrectly. Pandia was also pretty good at the end as well, and he had been the kind of fragile link in that Indian bowling line up up till then as well. He was kind of the one that opposition of targeted. But Boomra really is that good? And of course we can't leave this final without touching on what was either a sensational boundary catch and emblematic of where the modern game has got to in terms of outfielding.
Speaker 2: Or a little bit controversial. Where do you stand on this pool?
Speaker 3: Do you stand on the boundary rope or do you stand just inside it?
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like I'm arguing with the Almighty on this one because I saw that Sakyadev said that it was God's plan for him to take that catch, So I waited. I do go into this discussion with some trepidation, but look his dancing feet in the deep. They've talked about taking one of the most important catches in Indian cricket history. Look it was that. Where did I sit on it? I'm happy with it, to be honest. I think I've got the rule book out. The playing conditions for this tournament said that it's the cushion, not a white line, which is the boundary. Literally, Section nineteen point three says if a solid object used to mark the boundary is disturbed for any reason, then the boundary shall be considered to be in its original position. So look, I just think I don't think that he touched the tobler owne Yes, his foot was over the sort of pre marked white line. I understand that it was to do with where the pitch wills, and it was there the whole game. And I don't know did a South African player did Arik not? Yeah, when he thundered into the fence early on in the match, did he did he move it and it didn't get moved back into place? I'm not sure? But either way, look, I think I'm I like the controversy because I think it's just part of the game and it's great that there's these stories and narratives and there's some great little AI videos that make it look more dubious and so on. But from my point of view, fear and Square I thought it was. And you know, my heart went out to David Miller. Actually, I've got a lot of time for him, and yeah, well where did you Where did you find it. It was it God's plan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if it was God's plan. I don't know if he should bring Vishnu or receiver or I'm not sure which one governs boundary catches. But I always like every time I get something over that, now, my mind immediately cast back to Law's twenty nineteen and Trent Bolt, And again it was just my immediate thought, and I try to banish it. I was trying to get out, Damn thought get out, but I couldn't. I'm just thinking throw it into capital. But no, I think it's I think it was fine. Yeah, it would be really weird to try and explain it to an American who might have just been into this, getting into cricket and watching this tournament if that had been ruled not out because his foot clipped the freestanding white line when for all intents and purposes, you know, the Tobla owns the boundary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there are. I mean I think maybe there's different playing conditions and sometimes it is the line and et cetera. But yeah, look, it just seemed fair and square. It was also one of those moments in the game where you go that is a screamer of a catch if the match turns on that, you know fair enough? Actually yeah, and I know, of course I know David Miller was not sitting in the dug out. He certainly did not start returning to the dugout till he'd watched it about a hundred times and then dragged his bat and dragged his sorry us back to the South African dugout. And as I say, I did feel really sorry for him. He's one of those guys I've followed. I think I've talked about it before. He wasn't playing or we ended up having a couple of drinks at a Barrack mount More just not just me and having the whole bunch of people. And he was a real good bugger. He told some great yarns about Danie Vittori and Jesse Ryder and ipl times and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: He's thirty five years old, of course, famously has never played Test cricket. Retired from first class cricket twenty eighteen. He's played two hundred and ninety eight international matches and zero Test matches, despite having an average of thirty six and six tons in first class cricket I mean, and you know, an archetypal just if you were making a T twenty cricketer. He is the kind of guy that he plays an incredible fielder. I don't know if he bowls. I'm sure he probably doesn't. You know that he does famously famous quote which was from his old man. And he's been playing cricket like this his whole life. If it's in the arc, it's out in the park, if it's in the v it's in the tree. And I just think, you know, if our dads had given us that kind of advice, we would be probably much better cricketers than what we were trying to do out there DC noirdling it around and so on, you know. And I felt really sorry for Miller. He was in tears at the end. I think he felt like, you know, well, obviously he was probably one foot away from pulling off what would have been a sensational victory for South Africa. And you mentioned this before, or he was facing hard at Pandia. It was a low full toss. He smoked it. Maybe he you know, wasn't He wasn't one of the class and ones that were sort of landing on the solar panels on the roof of the grandstand. But jeez, he got a lot of it. And I thought when Pandi was bowling that last those you know, in those final overs, he's there for the taking. This guy he's not going to be able to step up to it. But credit to him he did.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The other sensational piece of cracket I just wanted to touch on this before we go, was that runout. Well, first of all, a Chapatel, how good is a floating number eight who comes up and just looks sensational forty seven or thirty one resurrected the Indian innings. But the runout run him being run out by Quintin da Kock from the wicket keeper's end he was at the non strikers in was one of the greatest pieces of cricket. Absolutely superb presence of mind from Quintin to Cock. Has he retired? Is he retiring as well? I feel like it's the last hurrah for him as well.
Speaker 3: I kind of felt like this if he is retiring, it kind of feels like this is a a third or fourth retirement. It feels like he's stepped aside from a lot of things. But then I recognize it remembered that one of them was actually just refusing to play after refusing to kneel at the World T twenty in the UAE. So I think I mistook that for a retirement because I was half surprised to see him here at the the st of the tournament next year. So haven't you given the international game away? But yeah, it was a sensational piece of cricket by to Cook and a slightly lazy piece of cricket from the otherwise brilliant Exha Patel.
Speaker 1: I think he was just tired. DC. He doesn't normally back for thirty one deliveries. He certainly doesn't normally get forty seven. Jesus is a handy, very handy player. Hey, we should take away break and when we come back, let's have a quick yarn about what this whole messy, interesting, fascinating, intriguing T twenty World Cup means for cricket. Welcome back to the BYC with Dylan Clever and Paul Ford, where going over the entrails of the Cricket World Cup. We hardly even really talking about the Black Caps, to be honest. But Dylan, when you reflect on this tea twenty World Cup. I mean that's a pretty lofty question. But what do you think it all means? What's its legacy? Did it do what it was meant to do? What kind of things stick in your mind?
Speaker 3: Actually, it just felt a little bit messy. Partly that was weather, Partly that was underprepared venues. Partly it is format. I don't know if the group to Super eight to semis to Final works. It just feels like it could be cleaner. I know that you get less content if you go straight into the knockouts from from group play, and I mean content is king right, But I thought I thought it mostly did it strive?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: And you've said here we've learned how to use the word diaspora. Well, I've actually learned how to say it because I kept on that I would always call it diaspora, I think. But I went and had a online tutory and the emphasis is on the s, it's on the second syllable, So it's diaspora is how you say it.
Speaker 1: Did get a real workout during this tournament, didn't it? Because everyone was kind of like, well, Americans aren't gonna watch it, and then everyone's like, well no, but diespera the diaspora will watch it. Yeah, that was definitely one. But it did feel it felt a bit Mickey Mouse. I mean, there was the I mentioned the travel thing before, and I know there were probably good reasons for some of this, but it did feel like things are slightly tilted in favor of a risk in terms of that New York ground b just things just making it a bit easier for India. It did feel like it wasn't quite an even playing field literally and metaphorically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the Mickey Mouse reference works well in Mickey Mouse's second home, which of course is Florida, where they had four matches scheduled and unfortunately they got just one of the men and that was a real blow I think for the organizers. I think the shocking state of the pitch in.
Speaker 2: New York was clearly a blow.
Speaker 3: But they still got cricket there at least, and they still got some actually quite exciting games, not the kind of games you would expect at a Teach twenty betting extravaganza, but they were still games of cricket that came down to the wire in some cases.
Speaker 2: But Trinidad was an excuseable.
Speaker 3: You're one of the great venues of the world there in Queen's Park Oval and yet we play on this brand new venual. Might not be brand new, but it's new enough. And it was just it was poor cricket. There's no other word to describe it. I didn't think the cricket in Diana was great, but it was serviceable. And I think one of the bonuses for the organizers was the US playing pretty well. You know, they were at class once they got to that Super eight stage, but there was joy unconfined with the way they went through the group stage. That was fantastic. An Jones belting untold sixes and ticks and heartland.
Speaker 2: It was great. So I would say, what would I give it. I'd probably give it a flat B.
Speaker 1: Like I sort of a seven out of ten? Is that where you going with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Probably six point five seven out of ten. I don't give half max, so yeah, i'd have to give the seven out of ten.
Speaker 2: Myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Look, I mean I think you touched on a couple of things that that when I when I reflect on this tournament, it's that, you know, T twenty is a monster, and I know it's a cliche that twenty overs just brings teams into it that would not be able to survive in battle in a full blowing dual over fifty overs at alone test cricket, Well, I don't think they would anyway, and I think, you know, we saw that with the United States of America. I think, you know, probably their players are a little bit distracted by the fact that they're having to answer their emails. They went into the Super Eights because they ran out of annual leave and so they were just having to sort of work around around the clock on both fronts, you know. But that rise of the second tier great, always great when the host nation does well, you know. So I'm really on board with with what happened there, although it was probably you know, not great for Pakistan obviously or New Zealand, and you know, it's hard to go past Afghanistan. We touched on this last week. There was also some comments this week about how their travel arrangements for the to get from the end of the Super Eights into their semi final. You know, they were back at the hotel at three am, and then they were traveling to the next venue at eight am and playing the day after that. You know, it's pretty that's pretty tough and as I say, feels like some of the bigger teams. One in particular, I had a much more of an armchair ride on that front. The other interesting thing, just as an aside, I saw just before we came on here, that there's been an entreaty from at the Afghanistan women's team, who are unofficial, that they have asked that the ICC assist them and setting up a refugee team based in Australia in the absence of a national side. Of course, woman aren't able to play because of the Teliban horrific regulations, So an interesting little conundrum there for icy c chair and all around good bugger Greg Bark later to assess, that's a pretty tangled web that's being woven there. I'd suggest for the icy seed or wade into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, PEPs.
Speaker 3: It's a chance for him to get back on the front foot after this issue, because he is a terrific bloke and he does a great job.
Speaker 2: But the one, the one.
Speaker 3: Perhaps misstep in his role was when he described the taliband's grip on the woman's game there as a blip.
Speaker 2: I think when.
Speaker 4: You described it, immediately regretted it, and there was clearly not the context he meanted there, but he was hauled over the Cole's way.
Speaker 2: The international well, yeah, mainly Twitter, and I.
Speaker 1: Think he meant vice like grip not blip, but yeah, close close. I mean the other thing that caught my eye is really, you know, there was a mix. I guess you've seen it with India. In the Indian case, experienced players are kind of the their rock stars and were probably the reason that they did so well. In other cases, teams rolled the dice, took a bunch of experienced players and came up short. England made the semi finals, probably on reflection a pretty bloody good effort. Australia of course not making it through. New Zealand obviously not making it through. It does feel like there is a real changing of the guard that's happening amongst international cricket. And to make that point, it's pretty extraordinary. I heard getting in Haigues say how Sahinton Dohalka played one T twenty international and Rat Cooley and Rowert Shama have played what two hundred or whatever? It has had a quick lock From a New Zealand perspective, it's just remarkable to think about this. Chris Ken's played two T twenty internationals and scored three runs. Nathan Nashtell played four, Stephen Fleming played five, and Craig McMillan played eight. Tim Soudy one hundred and twenty six not out, goup To one hundred and twenty two. Is so one hundred and seventeen not out, Mitchell Satner one hundred and four not out. Generational shift in how the game is played.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and I know that Chris Ken's won in particularly. I mean, if there was a format he was born for, it was probably T twenty right, So.
Speaker 1: Wearing David Miller's T shirt in the tree, I'd suggest.
Speaker 3: Mind if you go back, if you go back a couple of generations before that, you can do the same exercise with the event of one day cricket where it came in sort of the late seventies early eighties, and you look back at some of the New Zealand players, I mean Ken Wadsworth, who obviously passed away back to you young, but he was one that was identified as someone who would have been a traffic one day player never got the chance.
Speaker 1: Yea, that's exactly right. And yeah, and then the other thing we just touched on this before, but I did have a quick block and the T twenty Cricket will Cup in Sri Lanka and India is February and March twenty twenty six, so just shy of two years away. The twenty teams will be divided into four groups of five. The top two teams in each group will advance to the Super eight, so brace yourself India and Sri Lanka, who are pretty lucky. Qualifiers hosts Australia, England, South Africa, Western Is, USA, Bangaledesh and in Afghanistan are in because they made the Super eights and then the three least worst in the rankings after that lot so New Zealander threw as a Pakistan in Ireland and there's eight spots to be decided via the regional qualifiers. Yeah, I think you mentioned this before. India, no Judasia, no Koali, no Shama, New Zealand obviously no Bolt and probably a host of others. And there's lots of speculation that Australia won't have the likes of Warner's gone, but also Max will wag Stark, those kind of guys very likely to be not on the scrap pep but sort of easing their way out of T twenty International Cricket, possibly against their will. DC. Let's packet there if you didn't have anything more to throw at that throw at the wall on that particular topic. And when we come back, will WinCE and never look at the White Fans. Welcome back to the BBC Podcast. It's Paul Ford and Dylan Pleaver coming to you from the Export Beer Garden Studio DYCA. The White Ferns are pretty tough start to their tour of England. A couple of drubbings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, look, losing to England's not surprising, but Jeep has won a mess just awful. I'll just quickly run through the short score cads because it won't take long. In the first game at Chesla Street, New Zealand bettered first posted one five six England in reply one five seven for one and just twenty one point two overs. Moving down the road to Worcester for game two, New Zealand a game, betting first, posting one for one England in reply one four to two for two in just twenty four point three overs. Yep, you heard that right. The White Ferns have scored sub one sixty in both games have taken a sum total of three England wickets.
Speaker 2: And one of them was a runout.
Speaker 3: Look, there's losing to England, and I think everybody that's listened to the BYC, anyone that follows cricket with any kind of close lens on the game, on all formats of the game, will recognize that New Zealand has slipped a long way behind Australia, England, probably India now. But there's losing and then there's absolutely not showing up on what is a pretty high profile tour for them.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think I saw it seventeen years I think we're talking about the Indian injury out. Seventeen years since New Zealand beat England in a woman's ODI series And as you say, doesn't feel like, well this series gone already, but hard to think of one that would be more lopsided than that. It does feel like we're playing fifty over cricket from the eighties and England are playing IPLT twenty cricket. Yeah, really really tough going A couple of quotes Sophie Devine, new Zealand captain, first game really disappointed and game two similar trends. We didn't battle over that's a crime one hundred and forty. You're not going to be competitive fair play. I think that's pretty much bang on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just don't think things are right there.
Speaker 3: I think that to miss in terms of I don't want to go so far to say culturally, because unless you're in the camp, you don't know what the culture of a team is like. So I think we can look outside and go, well, there's something not right there. But very clearly my understanding was that Jason Wells wanted to continue in his role as selector.
Speaker 2: He was effectively.
Speaker 3: Told no, it didn't have his contract renewed, that they were going to look in a different direction there. Now, look, I'm joining dots here. I'm adding two and two and maybe getting seven and a half. So that but Wells is very tight with Robbie Kerr. I mean they played together at Wellington.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Has that a shot across the bows of the power structure within that team? Maybe is it sending a message? I mean, I don't know. I don't have answers to these. I'm not close enough connected, but it feels like there's something very wrong at the state of women's cricket.
Speaker 2: This team is not getting better.
Speaker 3: We thought that when we hosted the World Cup that was a low point, right that Bob Carter raising physically out badly. Getting a more dynamic Australian coach that had great success as an assystem with the Australian women's team was a good step in the right direction, perhaps nurture some of this younger talent coming through. But I do think you've got to ask it, do we have young talent coming through? We're still heavily reliant on Saphie Divine and Susie Bait, who are moving into their mid thirties. Not seeing the world on fire on this tour very obviously, but then again, no one knows. And I watched the way England and Australia play the game now in India play the game now, and the game is moving more. I don't mean this in a patronizing way at all, but it's I guess the skill sets of the game are moving closer to perhaps the men's game a lot of power hitting in front of the wicket that simply wasn't there in the past, and the women's game. I'm not seeing that translate to New Zealand performance. Some very good players Mellicur is a very good player. Saviiet Divine is a player who can power hit in front of the wicket, very good player. But that's second tier of players coming through. It just doesn't seem to be there. And look, I don't know where they go. I don't know if you have had any deep thoughts on it, but these are terrible, terrible results. We can't we can't get away from that. And I think we've said this over the past couple of years. New Zealand Cricket have to make some calls here are they going to invest heavily in the woman's game? So how are they going to do it? You can just throw money at something and expect it to be better. You've got to throw money at it in terms of resource, and where do you put that resource? Does New Zealand, because it's got a small talent, Paul, perhaps and load up on their T twenty and make that the game that the format they're going to pursue. And I mean, I don't know over to you, Paul, any thoughts.
Speaker 1: I think you do know, Dylan, And then I think there's some very sevy observations there, and you know, I think you know We've been a broken record about that reliance on the same you know, I was going to say half a dozen, but really it's three or four players, and it's the next tier and then the tier below that. And then as you say that, the youngsters coming through and you know, lots of them have been given chances. Have they been given chances too early? Is this a part of a five year plan? There's five years too long? How's the plan going? I don't like the look of it. It makes me feel nervous. Yeah, look, I'm not sure, but yeah, well I guess what I do know is or who I do know is Jason Wells as an absolute top man. And yeah, I'm just not sure that will be better without someone like that involved. So that that's news to me an interesting one. I will keep an eye out for him at the Island Blaye Island Bay Football Club rooms over the next few weeks and see what we can glean from him.
Speaker 3: I mean some players in that team, and I don't want to pick on individuals because you know, they don't get the same backing as the men, they ain't get the same money in that but there's some players in that team that are getting lots and lots and lots of chances and doing to nothing with them.
Speaker 2: So do you do you cut them and move on to the next.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It just feels like a hot mess at the moment.
Speaker 1: One thing that isn't a hot mess is the correspondence to the byc. Thank you to everyone that's Scott in touch. We've got a couple of whipped through here DC. The first one is from UK Paul and it's on the Test Captain. See hello fellas. Love listening to your podcast from over here in the UK always makes me laugh. Keep up the great work. A question I would be interested to hear you discuss is who do you think should be the black Caps Test captain for the upcoming red ball tour. At the conclusion of the tests versus Australia, there was a lot of question marks on whether Tim Souley would remain as skipper. While I have no issues with Tim as captain as such, the big question really would be is he a definite pick for selection in the upcoming red ball games away against Afghanistan, Sri Lanka and India given the spin friendly nature of these wickets. If it's place in the team isn't guaranteed. Surely he can't be captain. The easy answer might be Tom Latham, though I wonder if it's an opportunity to look to the future a bit with Daryl or a Glen Phillips or Devin Conway.
Speaker 2: What do you reckon?
Speaker 3: Well, that's a good question. I would There's a couple of things I would like to say. On the first of all, Mitchell's thirty three Conway to thirty three on Monday, So is that really looking to the future? If if they you're next in line. Glenn Phillips would be a very bold move. But I think he I mean bless him, but I think he operates on a slightly different wavelength and most sentient human beings, so it might be it might be a risk too far, but it's a good idea. But what I would say is Tim Southy is going to be captain for those games. And you look at his record his career. He's taken three hundred and eighty Test wickets at an average of twenty nine point six to one at a strike rate of fifty nine point five.
Speaker 2: This will surprise a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Injury Lanka, he's taken sixty four wickets an average of eighteen with a strike rate of forty five point three, so miles better than.
Speaker 2: His overall record.
Speaker 3: In India, he's taken fifty two wickets an average of twenty four point sixty nine at a straight raid of forty six point nine, miles better better's overall record. I think people do tend to forget he is a very, very canny, clever bowler in sub continent and conditions.
Speaker 2: But we cannot.
Speaker 3: Overlook the fact that he was poor last summer. So I'm guessing his rope is shorter, but he's not at the end of it yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm on board with that very I had the same set of stats and I was actually really surprised that his stats in India in particular, we're better than his overall career stats. And yeah, look, I think it seems like it's he's an absolute lock. Tom Latham is potentially a contender if Saudi decides he needs a rest or whatever, But I feel like it would be Saudi making that call, and I just can't see it happening. He's notoriously fit and notoriously hates not playing too. I think, yeah, in particular, the STG comes to mind, he's probably far too grumpy to be twelve men when he's put in that position. So yeah, look, love the speculation of the discussion, but I'm with you on that.
Speaker 3: I mean, he does need an up to conform. He can continue playing like you did the last home summer. Else, I mean, at his age, you are standing to wonder if he's fallen off the cliff in terms of his performance.
Speaker 2: But we're not there yet. Hey, look is another.
Speaker 3: Great piece of correspondence which I will rush through as DCF. On the future of T twenty black Caps, Hi, all, I've enjoyed the discussions you've had in the last few episodes about what changes you'd like to see the black Caps T twenty approach going forward and which players will or won't be making the trip to the continent in twenty twenty six. However, as a key, we living overseas, specifically the USA, a country desperately trying to convince itself that watching a one null baseball game is a good way to spend three hours, and one that thinks silly. Midn is a ridiculous name for a position, but tight end and shortstop aren't. My knowledge of the next generation of black Cap stars could be as best be described as bugger or I probably couldn't pick Eddie Ashot or Willow Walk out of a lineup if my life depended on it. So to that end, I was wondering if you could add a third discussion to your future Black Caps teach me any lineup series for the benefit of us, Skiwiz. You don't get to see a lot of super smash sport trophy, your plunketshield cricket. Who would you rate as the up and comers who best fit the profiles and cricketers you'd like to see in the black Caps T twenty squad two years in the years coming? He as if you qualifiers the potential power heading top all a better. But yeah, who would we like to see in the next up for the next few years? As the like said Michael Bracewill, Trent Bolt, Lockie Ferguson and others are phased out? Cheers all And if I run into any Kiwis at the Major League Cricket matches in North Carolina next month, I'll shout them a pint or whip up a homemade minsen cheese.
Speaker 1: Nice house good. It makes me want to travel over there just for that Minton Cheese. I mean yeah, I mean we're going to talk about this, I imagine for literally years to come. But you know, and we have talked about a few few guys that are in the mix. What I did I had a quick look at sort of the highest strike rates in the Super Smash, just to get a flavor because I feel like you sort of have a vibe of guys that you've seen play just when it had to look at some raw numbers. Now, the highest strike rate from a bating point of view is Doug Bracewell, which is a bit waking, but you know there it is a ninety three, not out of do that, so fair play to him. There's a really interesting guy by the name of Bevan John Jacobs from hal Ting who plays for Canterbury. He's been a revelation in Canterbury Club cricket and he did some really really good things in the Super Smash and he's in that another Sapha that's cutting his way in through the New Zealand scene. I think he's definitely one to watch. I mean, Tim Robinson's an obvious one. Fin Allen's going to be there. I like the Max Choo's done some good things. He's sort of young, possibly not that young. I think I always talking about him because his auntie is my next door neighbor. But uh, Mitchy mitch Hay is another one that I think is worth a crack and a guy that I know is not young. But you know, I'm not saying he's David Miller, but a touch of David Miller as well. O'donnald you know, I think he could have done some good things. And I think Nathan Smith is going to be a really obvious one that's about to break through. So I think those are some contenders from a batting point of view.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, well I look as well.
Speaker 3: I probably perused some of the same stats as you and Robertson mitch Hay and Dean Foxcroft. Those three are actually over in the over in India at the moment, learning to sweep on spinning wickets, so that might be appointed to where the selectors think the future lies. And I go so far to say it's a huge pointer. Dean Foxcroft has planned to deceive a little in the T twenty game and she but he's certainly got talent. I love the way he bats when he's when he's in, but his stroke rate is pretty He didn't I didn't think he had an amazing season last season. Mooer Bass is another one who has got talent dripping out of his paws. Maybe maybe t twenties. Not quite his game yet, but it will be. I always wonder why Nick Kelly hasn't ever had a crack and he's about to turn thirty one, but he always plays well for Wellington.
Speaker 2: And then on the bowling front, you know Ben Lister is still twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Riston p Jason Hoyt, who's sick this week. By the way, he's actually not dead. Well that thing is.
Speaker 3: But Ben, this is twenty eight he's got. Last season, I think his economy was just to tick over six and a strike rate was thirteen, like he was the pick of the seemers. Eddie es shock unfortunately I didn't realize this actually, but he had back surgery, really serious back surgery. He's actually got to I think he might have even had a screw inserted, which sounds very shame Bond type of surgery. So I guess we wait bade a breath to see if he has to reconfigure his action or anything like that. But obviously he's got a huge potential as a leg spinner and another guy who's done nothing yet to justify this lofty place on the b YC. But just keep half an eye out for Jock McKenzie.
Speaker 2: Chose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was gonna He was in the Blues I think super rugby squad and he was a two sports star at high school. He is now throwing his lot in with cricket. He looked last summer with the times I watched him. I thought he's possibly not quite there yet with either discipline, but there's clearly potential there and I think he might be. He might be kind of a Blacks, but maybe with a little bit more upside than the Clackson for the long term because he's very young.
Speaker 2: I think he might be twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah nice and I mean Nathan Smith again for me just to chuck in a couple of guys that kind of haven't come through in the bowling, and I know he's there, he's been in the squad, he's played already. But Zach Folks I think is going to be a real gun coming through and definitely a terrific player to watch. He can bat too, so yeah, there's a few names there that we're throwing around so that we can claim them down the track. Hopefully that's helpful DCF, but definitely a topic the future T twenty black Caps team that will be wrestling with over the next couple of years. Ahead of that, TEA twenty World Cup third one. Just quickly as mother on Devlin, did you guys see Marden Devlin's rant on the larger number of folks employed by New Cricket, I suspect Gary Stead is carrying the can for poor planning. Maybe player empowerment gone astray. Jared Kimber on his pod made the point that countries like New Zealand and Sri Lanka with our lesser numbers, are going to have good and bad periods. New Zealand's at the end of a great period and it seems that not much. There's not too much in the way of talent coming through, at least not the kind of talent that we've been used to over the past ten or fifteen years. What are your thoughts, boys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I didn't see the rent, but I think by most standards, New Zealand runs a fairly lean operation, so I wouldn't have thought that New Zealand is getting clogged up by bureaucracy, head office or in the high performance system down in Lincoln. That's not to say I don't think there shouldn't be changes in the high performance system and they shouldn't be fresh blood perhaps, but I don't think too many people is the problem there. I think Jerry Kidner's dead right. You know New Zealand's fortunes are going to be cyclical.
Speaker 2: You try and.
Speaker 3: Smooth out that roller coaster as best you can with good succession planning. Has New Zealand got that right at the moment, will clearly not if they go into a tournament with essentially the entire team maybe Finelle and over thirty and and it's up to the BYC to discuss who that next wave of talent coming through is because it's not obvious to other people. So you know, perhaps they haven't got it right, and perhaps we are on the brink of a prolonged slump. I hope not, but we are. I mean, Jared's right, We're never going to have a factory line of talent like India can that pulls out of the Rangi Trophy and the I P l and that sort of thing. It's just never going to be part of the New Zealand game. So yeah, that's my thoughts on that, muzz.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I agree with you to say, and I think, you know, as we've, as we've touched on before, it's been and as he does himself in his email, you know, it's been an incredible run from a playing point of view. But I also think, you know, we talk about New Zealand punching above its weight, and now the expectations are higher, and that's where we get pissed off when we lose to teams like Afghanistan. But also I think it's fair to say that the way that cricket has been run in New Zealand also punches above its weight. I know it's controversies from time to time, but none of these huge, kind of massive things have happened over the last few years. And I think it's a pretty it's a pretty neat and tidy shop generally, and I think lots of things have obviously worked pretty damn well over the last you know, ten years or so, for sure. So yeah, I think, yeah, I'm not sure. I'm not sure we should talking about matter Devlin, because I think that's probably exactly what he wants.
Speaker 3: Hey, it was a bad campaign, it was. It was a poor campaign in the Caapan for this World T twenty. There are reasons that we've discussed on previous podcasts for namely pork preparation and maybe coming to the end of cycle. I don't know if it's deeper than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And now it's time for a little bit of Pauwford's violence Corner Paul.
Speaker 3: Forward's cricket violence Corner.
Speaker 1: Pakistani cricketer Umar Akmal has been arrested for allegedly thrashing a traffic warden and he was taken to the police station and charged under sections one eight six, two seven nine and three five three of the Pakistan Penal Code four obstructing an official at work, tearing a police uniform and misbehaving and hurling threats. The traffic warden stopped Ukmar after he would stopped for violating a traffic light signal. He counter alleged that the warden had abused and slapped him. The place where the incident took place has CCTV cameras all around it. I would ask the authorities to look at the footage and then decide whether I have done anything wrong, Umar said, sounds like quite a good defense, to be fair.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what the you don't want to get on the wrong side of two seven six on the Pakistani penal code, that's for sure. Mar Aknel, What a curious cricketer he was. I remember he came out to New Zealand when he was really young, brother of Cameron ack now the keeper with iron gloves. But he scored a fantastic test century and I think I might have been working with Shane Bond on his biography at the time and I remember him just saying that that kid is a gun.
Speaker 2: He could be anything, and he really didn't amount to much at all.
Speaker 1: No, it's always a bad day when you're in the paper for tearing a police uniform. I would suggest, Hey, Dylan Cleaver, I think I think that's us. Thanks everyone for joining us on this week's boy C podcast. You could fill your week watching the White Fans play in the Dead of the Night in England live stream via the ICC website from midnight to night, and then you can watch the t twenties from one thirty am on Sunday maybe and in the meantime, if you've got anything to get off your chest, send us a short diet tribe to b YC at Beasewague dot co dot nz. Take care out there, kak on no