Speaker 1: Kioda. I'm Chelsea Daniels and This is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by The New Zealand Herald. The twenty twenty four Olympics has seen plenty of sporting highs as well as heartbreak for competitors around the world, but no competition has sparked more debate and controversy than the women's boxing. The inclusion of Algeria's Ahman Khalif and Taiwan's Lynn U Ting has sparked a firestorm after they were both banned from International Boxing Association competitions last year citing negative gender tests. The issue has blown up during the Olympics after Italy's Angela Karini called off her match against Khalif only after a few seconds, prompting outrage from a divert first list of politicians and celebrities, including Donald Trump, jk Rowling, Elon Musk, Logan Pohl and our very own Winston Peters and Israel Adisania.
Speaker 2: But as new.
Speaker 1: Information has shone light on the complexities of the case, it's once again ignited a debate around women in sport, with both boxes now guaranteed medals at the Olympics. Today, on the front page. We're joined by University of y Kato Professor of Sociology in Sport and Gender, Holly Thorpe, to discuss the controversy. Holly, from your understanding, has Emman Khalif ever identified as male?
Speaker 2: No, from my understanding, she was born female and lived her life as a female.
Speaker 1: So what's the controversy here? Why was she banned by the International Boxing Association alongside Lynn Uting?
Speaker 2: Opened last year at boxing competition hosted by the International Boxing Association. It was hosted in Russia, and my understanding is that both Khalif and Uting's gender identity was questioned at that event, and it was the IBA president Umar Kremlev of Russia who suggested that those two athletes had X Y chromosomes, and then they were subsequently disqualified. And other sources say that they questioned that they had elevated levels of testosterone. But obviously the IBA is not the organizing body running boxing in the Olympics and have been largely discredited for a number of reasons, not just this, a whole lot of issues, but yeah, it was these questions about their gender identities were raised last year and then have been brought up again with the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what can you tell us about the controversies involving the IBA. I understand it's not even running the boxing at the Olympics anymore.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is correct.
Speaker 2: They lost their permission to be the world governing body of boxing. My understanding that was for issues relating to transparency, the culture of that organization, number of kind of ethical concerns. So yeah, their permission was taken away from the IOC. So that's why the IOC set up a separate sort of unit to run boxing at the Paris Olympics.
Speaker 1: Could you give us some background on sex testing? I mean, what even is it?
Speaker 3: For a start, Yeah, it's evolved over the years.
Speaker 2: So in nineteen sixty eight, many sportswomen who wanted to compete in the Olympics had to undergo sex testing, which was basically rather humiliating tests to prove their sex identities. In the early days, this was visual examination of their genitals in front of doctors and other medical experts. So over time this evolved to being blood tests documenting hormone levels or chromosome testing. Men never had to do these tests. The assumption underplaying this was if you're a woman and you're really good at sport, you could perhaps be a man masquerading as a female. So you know, these tests were always with that kind of assumption.
Speaker 4: Should make this absolutely clear for everyone. This is not a transgender issue. I know you know that, but I think there has been some misreporting on this, and I think it's very very important to say that this is not a transgender issue. Many women can have testosterone which is in what would be called male levels and still be women and still compete as women. So this idea that suddenly you do one test for a testosterone and that's also everything else not the case, I'm afraid.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's been various versions of these tests, but they've been heavily critiqued over the years for their accuracy and recognizing that, you know, it's not just testosterone that has an impact on people's performance, and recognizing that sporting performance and gender are way more complex than just hormones. So, after many years of critique, the IOCs stopped using those sex testing or gender verification in nineteen ninety nine and engage in a big process of trying to develop a new set of guidelines in terms of gender identity and participating in the Olympics, which really prioritizes basic human rights of privacy and inclusion and participation. And I really think this is where the big issue is, whether it's this case other cases that kind of blow up and we have a whole media debacle and lots of public interest, and I think it's the shift from sport historically a separated men and woman, and the sex testing was very much based on biological, physiological understandings of sex. But what the IOC is moving towards is thinking about gender, which is way more complex, right, social psychological, how people identify as much more fluid in our societies today, and the iOS.
Speaker 3: Is trying to move in that direction.
Speaker 2: But so many people and so many organizations are still very stuck in sport as being divided by sexes.
Speaker 3: So it's a really.
Speaker 2: Interesting moment of change, I think, and that's where we're having a lot of debate and debate within these organizations, right, debate between the IOC and the International Boxing Association. There's a lot of organizations that are stumbling around and trying to figure out the best way forward.
Speaker 1: This incident has put the spotlight on those with differences in sex development. People may remember the case of Castor Semenya, the South African runner who essentially was banned from competing in sport as you had higher levels of testosterone.
Speaker 5: Here you are, you are eighteen years of age and then you are asked if you're not women enough. Yeah, regardless of the defenses that you have in your body. But I think for me, what I had to turn around, just like the humiliation, you know, is justice and people treating me with no respect for me. I had to just carry myself and knowing what I stand for.
Speaker 1: Are there some cisgender women who just naturally have higher testosterone?
Speaker 2: Yes, well, you know, our hormones fluctuate during different stages of our lives. Some men have more, some men have less testosterone. Many women have testosterone to varying extents. So that's why testing just based on testosterone is really problematic. You know, we don't know the full case of caliph or uting. I think it's got really muddied the whole kind of storyline with how the IBA dealt with this. But the important thing is that the IOC International Olympic Committee for women to compete in the boxing at the Olympics, all they need to prove is their gender identity in their passport. They don't need to do a blood test, they don't need to prove.
Speaker 3: Their hormones or chromosomes.
Speaker 2: It is their gender identities and their passports and that is all the IOC requires. So whether they are into sex or not, whether they have X Y chromosomes or not, that's really not up into the debate because they are participating fully legally, following all the rules and regulations set out by the International imp Committee.
Speaker 1: The misinformation and cruelty directed towards these two boxes, these two women has been immense They've been mis gendered and labeled men. Piers Morgan tweeted a photo of Khalif and said, if this is a biological female, I'm a biological ardvark. For example. Is this anything other than just outright discrimination coming for a muscular athlete with short hair who doesn't look, I suppose like your stereotypical woman.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The abuse was wide ranging, and we definitely had a number of very high profile figures from Trump to you know, people with huge followings, making very prude and cumulating kind of remarks about her gender identity. And I think a lot of people kind of looked at the photos and made decisions themselves thinking, oh, you know, she's got short hair, a strong jawline, and actually genders much more complex than what we look like or we have short hair, and so I think a lot of people got kind of caught out by assuming or making assumptions and yeah, like you're saying, Unfortunately, this kind of online abuse was very.
Speaker 3: Widespread and it's harmful.
Speaker 2: This really hurts athletes, but it also hurts the next generation of young athletes who you know, can see that if you don't perform a particular version of femininity, you might get this kind of level of abuse, which is very harmful.
Speaker 1: At Tokyo in twenty twenty one, New Zealander Laurel Hubbard competed in the weightlifting as a trans woman. Have sporting codes progressed in the last three years in addressing trans women and those with DSD yes.
Speaker 2: I think I mentioned this before. It's a very uneven landscape. So whereas the Internationallympic Committee set out this framework really trying to be guided by inclusive understandings of gender, this is only a framework. So they're kind of using this to encourage other international organizations to follow in their lead, but others are not right, and others are doing their own thing, like World Athletics is still using testosterone testing and it's yeah. I think what we're seeing is some countries, some sports organizations really trying to move towards more inclusive understandings of gender as it relates to sport, and they're drawing upon the research and lots of consultation to do so.
Speaker 3: And then we've got other organizations that.
Speaker 2: Are still basically using pretty archaic methods of sex testing.
Speaker 3: We've seen progress towards more inclusive approaches, and I think we're seeing this in the Olympics, But those levels of governance in high level sport, you know, the IOC doesn't get to actually make the rules.
Speaker 2: Those international sports organizations also can set their own rules and regulations, and then how that works alongside the IOC, etc.
Speaker 3: Is where things are getting kind of sticky. Now.
Speaker 1: I should mention that DSD is an acronym for differences in sex development. So the NHS says it's a rare group of conditions involving genes, hormones, and reproductive organs, including genitals. It means a person's sex development is just different to most other peoples. I suppose, So when it comes to DSD. Do we just need to accept that some people have a biological advantage in sport? Say in the same breath that Lebron James would easily win a game of one on one against a five foot five man.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think you know you're right.
Speaker 2: I mean the bodies that we're born into, whether it's our height, whether it's our hand size, whether it's our foot size, will give some people biological advantages. And I wouldn't say that testosterone or the sex body that we're born into is just one part of many aspects that make for strong or lesser than performances. But also, if you think about performance, it's also the country that you're born into, the kinds of funding and support that wraps around an athlete. Do you have funding for a good coach and good facilities and enough money to be able to travel to compete.
Speaker 3: And train elsewhere.
Speaker 2: So there's so many things that come into performance and biology is one of them.
Speaker 3: But biologies much more than just sex.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And what I find interesting about this debate as well, this is the Olympics, so this is the world's best of the best. Algeria is going to send their best women's boxer to the Olympics, just like Jamaica sent Usain Bolt to the Olympics. Did the likes of Usain Bolt, for example, have to undergo any kind of testing other than perhaps drug testing to prove why he ran the way that he ran.
Speaker 2: My understanding that male athletes have never had to undergo gender verification, And you're right. We look at Michael Phelps for example. You know, huge feet, tall, big hands. I mean, these are biological advantages in swimming, but we're not accusing him of any unfair advantage, right, But yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: These questions are directed at women, powerful strong women who challenge particular versions of gender identity.
Speaker 2: But often it's not all women who are targeted by these types of questioning. It's often non white athletes, black and brown Sportswomen in particular are those who, when they are strong, when they are powerful, when they are winning, are often questioned about their gender identities and then have to undergo, you know, there's pretty horrific kinds of practices to prove they are a woman. So I think there's a whole lot of not just gendered issues here, but also of race that's important to address. I think they're going on here in this case as well, But these are ethical issues which are always complex.
Speaker 1: Deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters tweeted about this case last week, saying this is why NZED first fought for gender rules in sport to be in our Coalition Agreement for Fairness and Safety in Women's Sports, putting aside the fact that he too misgendered Khalief. What more needs to be done when it comes to trans women in sport Because we've got governments banning or restricting children and teams from accessing puberty blockers, but then bodies ruling out those who have gone through puberty that can't compete. Is there a win here at all? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So obviously the case we're talking about here is not about transgender athletes. But I know that Sport New Zealand over a number of years has been working really hard on their transgender guidelines to support sports organizations at the community level to how to be more inclusive and respectful of people's different gender identities. So there's been a lot of work that's gone on there. We've seen over in Australia they've been doing that work as well, really prioritizing inclusion, recognizing that to participate in sport as a human right, both at the community level and all the way up to the elite levels. So we're seeing some countries and sports organizations doing a lot of work in this space. But you're right, it is increasingly politicized and used as a political football, unfortunately, and these are real people's lives, and I think we need to recognize that for many people, particularly transgender people, participating in sport has not been.
Speaker 3: A very positive experience.
Speaker 2: You know, even when we see transgender athletes at the Olympic Games, for example, they're not dominating, right, Laurel Hubbard didn't win the gold medal. We shouldn't assume to transgender athletes go through and annihilate the competition. So there's been a lot of that language around using fairness and safety to justify these decisions. But raally, a lot of sports organizations are moving towards equity and inclusion. So there's a lot of movement happening, and unfortunately these topics have been heavily politicized.
Speaker 1: How do you feel when you see women's rights activists holding signs outside Olympic venues? I mean, as a cisgendered woman, myself I don't feel great when I see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think in a way this is a bit of a storm and a teacup. You know, what we've seen in Paris is supposedly the gender equitable games, right. We finally, after many many years, we have fifty percent women competing and that is something to celebrate. But there are still so many issues facing women's sport in terms of making sure that they are safe. We have good safeguarding practices against systematic abuse.
Speaker 3: We've seen this in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: We've seen this in the high profile cases like USA Gymnastics and Volleyball Australia.
Speaker 6: The Board of Volleyball Australia has issued an apology to former players who suffered through an environment to fear, coercive control, physical and psychological abuse between nineteen ninety seven and two thousand and five, and some were as young fourteen during that time.
Speaker 2: So these are the really important issues in terms of making sports safe for women. But a lot of you know, these topics get a lot of media coverage and I think mostly it's a bit of a distraction from these real issues, and we don't see some of these groups really getting involved and really trying to make sport a safe place for women. It's more around these issues of gender identity and who does and does not belong where. I think that's really a bit of a distraction from the real issues in women's sport today.
Speaker 1: Holly, once the dust settles on this controversy, what would you hope that people take away from it? And what issues should we really be focused on? You mentioned a few there when it comes to women in sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we need to all of us, and perhaps myself at times, to be really careful, you know, not to judge a book by its cover, right, not to judge a main calief by a photo. Actually, gender identities way more complex than what one looks like. And when we see that headline or we see that post from someone famous, we need to do our own research and we need to dig deeper and read more informed pieces before we have an opinion and start sharing that around and adding to the culture of abuse that these athletes are having to face right now. I think here we all have a responsibility not to add to the hate speech.
Speaker 3: Really take our.
Speaker 2: Time before we judge how someone looks, because gender identity is much more complex than that, and it's much more Complex and sport as well.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us, Holly. That's it for this episode of the Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at enzedherld dot co dot z. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Sells with sound engineer Patty Fox. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to the Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune into Borrow for another look behind the headlines.