Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks EDB. Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcast now on iHeartRadio. Yet inside the game from every angle. It's Rugby Direct with Elliott Smith powered by News Talks EDB.
Speaker 2: Welcome into Rugby Direct powered by Xcess Solutions, salivating you and your business to a higher level. Welcome back to another week. This week it is Test Week. Finally it has arrived. Elligott Smith with me as always Liam Napier from the New Zealand Herald and Liam feels like I've been waiting for this for quite some time and finally we are into Test week.
Speaker 3: We are great to be here, isn't it.
Speaker 4: We haven't waited quite as long as Scott robertson sixteen months on since he was officially appointed to succeed Ian Foster.
Speaker 3: But here we are Test Week. Hint Dunedin.
Speaker 4: It's going to be fresh, pretty glad there's a roof and can't wait to get stuck into some Tomatrow juice.
Speaker 2: Oh, for God's sake, m you'll be recited any access that you might have a huge order of that. I guess we'll get the team on Thursday. But let's talk through perhaps the likely twenty three for the All Blacks that we see it perhaps unfolding now. I guess the front row probably picks itself in the form of De Groot, Taylor, Lomax. Any arguments there.
Speaker 4: No provided everyone's fit and wearing to go and we assume they are.
Speaker 2: Yep locks Captain Scott.
Speaker 3: Barrett, yep, he's a lot.
Speaker 2: He's a lot, Yes he is.
Speaker 4: And if he's fits, I think Patrick twopolo two has done more than enough to start and his leadership, his experience, the way he played for the Blues this year. But I guess there is a big question mark over his knee, so if he's not fit then to go straight in there.
Speaker 2: One of the issues probably that is going to cause some headaches or some debate around the selection table. Although Scott Robertson himself is selecting the loose forwards and he has the casting vote over all selections, so maybe discussing with himself as the loose folds, which way do you see this guy? There's any number of combinations they can put out there. I guess the most obvious one is Artie Survey is going to be at the back of the scrum, but blindside and open side flanker certainly seem up for grabs, perhaps open side least so. But there's a bit of a debate around where we go with blindside. Open side should be doled in pupper lead, blindside flanker.
Speaker 4: Anyone's guess, Yeah, Look, I think if you look back to the World Cup and Shennifrazzel's exit, blindside is a massive hole to film.
Speaker 3: When we talk about the eligibility to.
Speaker 4: Discussion and Richiemonger and Seennif Frazel are front of that queue. They are guys that by and large are replaceable. Jennifrazel took a long time to find his best form, only really when Jason Rowan came on board, but he became that enforcer in the pack, the domin ball carrier, defender. Everything you want from a blind side and so the massive shoes to feel and we don't know quite where the All Blacks are going to go with it. I suspect their first choice blindside ethan blackheader hasn't played a lot of rugby this year, but you do have other options within that squad. Luke Jacobson Summer Penny Female is probably the most likeful like in terms of his physical nature. I suspect they will probably go ethan blackheader, but I'm not totally convinced on that.
Speaker 2: What I reckon, I'll probably lenank towards going with Fena for this opening test. I think he's more of a potentially like for light replacement with Shannon Frazel. He's that enforcer. He's had a very very good Super Rugby season. The one caveat to that is he's providing the lot cover in this team as well, so I wonder whether he may end up being on the bench just because of that, especially for the first couple of tests.
Speaker 3: I suspect do you really need that if you've got a specialist.
Speaker 2: Lock there, No, not necessarily, but I think it's approaps a risk your proposition. That's why I would take Female on the reserves bench and you can't do the wa ifs or play what ifs. But I think that's probably where they may lean. But personally, I think Female deserves the first crack. As you mentioned, he think blake It hasn't had a lot of game time this year. Potentially long term he is their preferred starting blind side. But I think for this test you've also got a balanced players that have had game time, and so I think that's where you go Semmerpenny feenw to start.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a compelling argument there.
Speaker 4: He was the hat man for the Chiefs, wasn't He pushed the boundaries and you know, love to crunch first fives and I think you need a player in your team like that to put the ships up the opposition for one of a better term, to be that enforcer in the pack. So Summer Penny brings that Ethan Blackheader is a different player. He's probably a wee bit more mobile, but a similar love for the physic, the physical nature of it. He's probably better at the breakdown over the ball because he can play open side number eight, and he's probably they're probably on a par when it comes to line out abilities. Some Apeni has played Locke, So yeah, I think we agree that it's basically between Black at it and female. Can't see them starting Luke Jacobson straight off the bat. There the other question we'll go through the rest of the team, but just want to throw something at your hair. So Ben Ill, the English number eight played, spent a lot of the second half against Japan last week for England in the back line in the midfield specifically that allow could allow England to stack their bench with Fords. Is that going to factor into the All Blacks thinking when it comes to their bench. Do they need to go like for like and match England for their number of Fords that they may stack the bench with.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: You play your own game, I think, and we still do this at the World Cup with the seven to one bench obviously was a key factor in certainly the game twicken them, but they had already cantered away with it to a certain point. Don't know if it was necessarily the tipping point in the final them having a seven to one bench in the World Cup last year, but I think you play your own game. Scott Robinson was asked about this yet now with Jason Pye talk Back on the weekend and didn't roll it out as a potential option at some point this season. But I think a bit reluctant just because of the issues it causes with the backs. And we've seen through the last fifteen to twenty years how much the All Blacks like having those fresh pair of legs from the backs come in and with McKenzie's done in the pass, Bot and Barrett running at tired opposition leagus. Now when you're bringing on a forward pack, that mitigates the tiredness from the opposition a little bit. But I still think that's a key part of the All Blacks DNA is having those fresh legs at the backs running it tired opposition in front row. So I don't know that that necessarily is going to factor in fiel Blacks thinking this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 4: I think you need to stick to what you want to do, and the All Blacks traditionally they love those live wise on the bench and the versatility that backspring. If we move on to the half backs. For me, this area is very much a bit of a holding pedtern to a degree, and I'll make the same argument for fallback when we get to that. But cam Ro regard this is his era, as Aaron Smith said on the pod a number of weeks ago. Now when he's fit, he provided he comes back in the same sort of form and shape, well, this is his time for now.
Speaker 3: It's very intriguing.
Speaker 4: You could potentially go one of three ways here, TJ. Petina corta orten lay CHRISTI where do you see them going at half back?
Speaker 2: I think they'll go with TJ Pedina on the basis of his experience to this point, and you need to sprinkle that in through the team as much as you can, especially when you've had a truncated build up to the first Test of the season. Your opposition has already played a Test match in this window or in this period of time, so I think someone like TJ Petinara his experience would be valuable. You could flip that and go having him come off the bench could be vital in the last twenty twenty five minutes, but I think you'd lead out with the experience. Finlay Christie's played a number of Test matches from the bench, so i'd bring him off the bench later on Cortez Rasima, I think we'll have to wait for his debut. Completely agree though it is a holding pattern. Once cam Royguard's back, that's his jersey is number nine jersey, and we almost restart this debate again around the three half backs, not just the starting halfback. But I think once cam Royguard's back, there is a debate to be had about the best mix of three half backs in the All Blacks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they'll go TJ as well to start, but in my mind, I would go Cortez Rasima on the bench. I think he would bring so much more off the bench in terms of an impact player. He's dynamic with his running game, his support play, his physical I just get him in the mix now. He's got that combination with Damian McKenzie as well. Who you likely to spend the vast majority of the game at ten? I think Finlay Chrissie. I just I don't see him being that impact player. He's a guy that could start, but he's such a conservative option to bring on to close out a game.
Speaker 3: He's a great defensive presence.
Speaker 4: He's caught quite good over the ball with turnovers a number of times for the Blues this year when he came back crucial turnovers on his own line. But if you're looking to lift the pace in tempo of the match and that last twenty, particularly under the roof in Dunedin which caters to that sort of style, Ratima is your man. So I want to see them be a bit bold there and give him his debut straight away.
Speaker 2: Let's go to ten.
Speaker 3: Damien McKenzie had no arguments here.
Speaker 4: I think Boden Barrett's short of a gallop it's between those two, and because of Will Jordan's absence and the lack of fullbacks in the team and the squads, I think it's reasonably bolted on that it's going to be McKenzie and Bear at the back.
Speaker 2: Wings was interesting to me. I think they'll probably end up going sever Reese on the left wing, mark Khalia on the right. There's other ways you could skin it. I think Martley is fairly locked in on the right wing, or at least one of the wings. You could put them on the left, but I think you could make the argument for in Monte Nadau on the right wing and moving Mark Khala across to the left. But I think for this first test they'll sever Reese on the left wing and Mark Klear on the right.
Speaker 4: I think you can, like you say, you can make an argument for all of them. They're all in form, all finishing well. Sevu, I guess is potentially short of a gallop, but I don't know if that really matters as much for a wing as it does for for a lock loose forward who need that That physical contact.
Speaker 2: Played a bit for Sumner and Christch Club Rugby in the last couple.
Speaker 4: Of weeks well, I've just start them now. Look I would I would go Mark Tala and Caleb Clark. They know each the well, interchange well. But there is a question mark about Caleb Clark and his ribs as he fits. Not too sure at this point of the week, so I think I would never issue with them starting any of those wings.
Speaker 3: But I agree Mark to Lea as.
Speaker 2: A lock midfield, Jordi Barrett vice captain at second five. Who's your center?
Speaker 4: You keep that combination first Test of the year, Rick starts.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 4: There's an argument Billy Proctor knows Jordi Barrett extremely well, played together for two three years now, but I think first Test of the year, you've only had ten days to prepare. You probably want to ease some of those guys in. But it's going to be interesting to see how that plays out throughout the year. I think Billy's certainly putting a lot of pressure on.
Speaker 2: I could see an argument where they do start Billy Proctor this weekend with the Jordi Barrett combination. Ricca, you only had a solid season for the Blues, but Billy Procter and Jordi Barrat have that super rugby combination. I think there's certainly an argument who made that you could bring Billy Procter in this early, just such as this film has been for the Hurricanes and Super Rugby, I wouldn't necessarily rule them out going with that this weekend. There would also change the dynamic of how you also slicked the bench if you were to bring in Billy Procter in the midfield. I think the more likely option is Ricou Yowanni, but just wouldn't necessarily surprise me if they do go Billy Procter at center this week. Boden Barrey mentioned fall back before, so that's the run on fifteen sorted it is.
Speaker 4: Let me pose a question to you about Boden. Let's cast their heads. When Will Jordan comes back? And it's well signposted that he will be fullback. That's where he wants to play, That's where Razor wants him to play, and after spending much of his All Black career on the wing, where he has been exceptional, but that's not his chosen position. So will Jordan comes back, Let's assume he's fit, He's ready to go come August September for the All Black Seas slots in there, where's Boden Barrett's future. He's signed for four years for New Zealand Rugby as their first five.
Speaker 2: Is it at fullback? Well, I think that's that ten argument. It's still live if yes, Mackenzie will like nine per cent start this weekend, but I think let's see how he goes over these first few tests and it's got.
Speaker 3: A bit to proved. Doesn't think he's only started four or five tests at ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think the jury is still out on the ten jersey with Richie Wonger having now departed in New Zealand Rugby. Maybe he comes back at a certain point and is eligible again, but for now he's not, so it's a two horse race between McKenzie and Boden Barrett. I think that jewsey is still live. Boden will get its chances at ten at some point this year, whether it's through injury resp rotation, with Mackenzie sitting out, so he'll have a point to prove. He's spoken of his desire to play ten again rather than being a fullback, so that's part of the conversation as well, that he wants to prove himself and I guess reinvent himself a little bit again. He was pigeonholed into a fifteen for the All Blacks over the last few seasons, didn't get a lot of opportunities at ten once they moved him back to fall back. So I can certainly see that Josy being live right throughout the season and perhaps only having a definitive view on it once we get to the end of you tour and some of the big tests there.
Speaker 4: It's familiar, isn't it In terms of the Richie Muonga Boden Barretts interchange that happened for three years. I would like to see the All Blacks pick and stick to a degree. But if Boden is going to be at ten, and I don't think we've seen the best from him at ten for a number of years now, we need to see him challenge the line regularly, take the ball to the line and really engage the defense, because that's something I think we've seen fall out of his game in recent years. And he will want more than this because he is driven and clearly the All Blacks he wants to be involved. But there is an argument that he's your ideal bench guy. He can come on in the the second half or whenever and having surveyed the game at ten or fifteen, So so good Mackenzie to a degree. But I think that's a prospect that the All Blacks will be thinking long and hard about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so, And I think the debate won't be settled this weekend in DNED and it will take some time to figure out where we're going. Is the All Blacks with this? Let's look at the bench because I think that's also an interesting area for the All Blacks this week. Backup hookup the suffer on more most likely? Who are your backup props?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Armor, just what a prospect to bring on the way that he's played this year. Ball in hands, he plays like a loose forwards. His line out throwing is going to be tested in this arena. Corey Flynn got a bit of work to do as a specialist throwing coach. As far as your backup props are concerned, I think Fletcher Newell is a lock and offer toing a fussy probably, but there's he looked very uncomfortable coming off for the Blues. Carried a rib injury for the at least the past two weeks, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's not there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tend to agree on that will be interesting to see whether he's cleared to play. Didn't look great coming off the Super Rugby final, but he had a very good Super Rugby season. I think probably his best things. Only got one Test try, scored six or seven Super Ragby tries this year, so it might be a tryer're in bonanza once off I gets in.
Speaker 3: The path this year, take it to the bank.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The rest of the forwards makeup on the bench is interesting as well. So Tweet and Barrett obviously start so that it would leave a bench spots for two po VII.
Speaker 4: Yep, and my takers summer penny fee now as your bench cover where you're probably going Ethan black Ady, Yeah, so I think we're interchangeable there.
Speaker 2: Half back you were going right, I was going Christy yep.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: Back up backs on the bench is interesting for me because I mean I would still start Rico you wony, but I was just for the sake of the agment suggestingly proped it. But I think if you're selecting a bench Stephen Petterfeta gets one spot, I think the other one is quite interesting to go. Where do you go specialist midfield and someone like Leonnet Brown, would you debut Procter off the bench? Would you go with a winger like a em Monti nadowa Caleb Clark. That one, I think is quite an interesting selection from an all Blacks perspective.
Speaker 4: I think Lenna Brown's the obvious guy because he covers ten, sorry, twelve and.
Speaker 3: Thirteen, and a bench could do the wing as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Rico, if providing he's starting, could easily shift out to the wing. So there's all bases covered there. It is rare to put a specialist wing on the bench in morning. Nadawa does have flexibility in that he can play fullback, but it would be a risk at test level, so I think and Lena Brown definitely the inside running for that position.
Speaker 2: All right, there's you're twenty three there. It is subjects to being announced on spread the world.
Speaker 3: Put it out.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about England in their threats this weekend, because they've got a game under the belt that played Japan One comfortably a couple of weeks ago. Seems like Steve Borthwick is now adding elements to this English team that maybe we hadn't seen previously. You know, there's a lot of excitement around the way that you know, as you mentioned earlier, Ben Earl's playing and the balloty that he can switch into midfield. But later on in matches. What do we expect from England this week?
Speaker 4: I think England are definitely involving they There was a definitive shift with the English. Well go back to the World Cup. Bothwick is not in the saddle very long. They lose to Fiji prior to the World Cup at Twickenham, so things are looking very very grim. Everyrun's wants both work out before he's even started. The World Cup is very traditional England's conservative, pragmatic. You know ten man rugby basically George Ford's kicking drop kicks and they lose the World Cup semi final by one point to the box. So I think they did exceptionally well to get to that point, but it was very traditional England. They start the sixth Nations, introduced a few new caps. They lose to Scotland and Edinburgh and post that game from all the material of Red's and talked to some of the English journos. The players came together, senior players and had a real push to change the game plan and because it wasn't working a couple of weeks time, they beat Ireland at Twickenham and then lose away to France narrowly at the end of the Six Nations. So the definitive shift and they get results with it. And with Marcus Smith coming in at ten, he's a very dynamic playmaker, small man but quick exceptional. They brought in a couple of twenty one year old prospects Emmanuel on the wing, I think Chandler at Cunningham Smith Cunningham Smith at blindside, who actually was raised in Hamilton. So they've ejected a bit of youth and i think really embraced a lot more attacking style. Their back line is not big either, so they're not going to run over the top of you. That's not their style. They're going to have to use the ball and look to be a bit creative. So the only question is when the pressure comes on, do their revert to type. But their blueprint I think was the way they played against Ireland at Twickenham. That's what they need to aspire to and that's where they're trying to go.
Speaker 2: And then the East, the All Blacks game plan. We haven't seen as yet. But do you expect it to be similar to what Scott Robinson rolled out at the Crusaders.
Speaker 4: I do, And you know, the big question about that is I'm interested in your take on this, but from my perspective is actually quite conservative. It was very four set piece dominated. He's a big advocate for kicking and just nailing your attacking chances. Some real focus on set piece strikes and those sorts of things. But it's not expensive mus not throw the ball around offload with gay abandon. It's very much play what's in front of you. Do the basics, well, minimal errors, apply pressure, take your points when they're on offer. And I don't know if that there is a real perception of that of Razor's style.
Speaker 3: What's your read?
Speaker 2: No, No, it's definitely it. And putting the squeeze on the teams is what we've seen the Crusaders do and put the pressure back on the opposition for a number of years. You think about some of those wins they got against the Blues and round robin play, but also the final in twenty twenty two the Chiefs last year, it was almost like, well, you want to play this game plan, but we're going to squeeze you and not lay you many opportunities to do so, so you really got to take them. And when you don't, that's when the pressure comes on and you make mistakes. So it's not expansive. But we did see the Crusaders, you know, scored a lot of tries through strike plays, will Jordan sev Reeks a lot of those movements, midfield, Jack Goodhue when he was there, they scored through that, and Richie Wonger deff moved through the line, soft hair and passing through the line. But that was it was very built on that full platform, wasn't it that the Crusaders were able to get And once they were into the twenty two that backed themselves to school. Whether it was a line out drive or whether it was a set move or just pressure, pressure, pressure, they converted more often than not. And that, yeah, it's not a throw the ball around team. Mean, I wouldn't expect that to see that in the All Blacks.
Speaker 4: When the pressure was really on the Crusaders, they went back to their line out more. They're scrum they'd scrum for penalties, they'd kick for territory. It's that squeeze game that you talk about and I think people think perceive that because you had this magic, dynamic playmaker and Richie Muwanga, that they have this perception that the Crusaders were very expensive, when that was the truth is actually the total opposite.
Speaker 2: I think that's similar to what we'll see certainly starting this weekend is the All Black season gets underway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what I'm intrigued to see is what specials do they come up with the line out at the set piece, because you've got Robertson's going to have a focus on those. You've got Jason Holland there who had some pretty tasty strike moves with the Hurricanes. They were the best attacking team in Super rugby for a number of years, so these guys have very specialist areas. And then on defense with Scott Hansen, they should be very hard to break down.
Speaker 3: So they've got all bases covered.
Speaker 4: But it's going to be very interesting to see from my perspective where those little trick plays come.
Speaker 2: Indeed, can't wait Saturday night, seven o five Love on News talk Zbig Gold, Sport on iHeartRadio from for South Bar Stadium, indonned Let's take quick break, come back with more after this on Rugby Direct.
Speaker 1: This is Rugby Direct, a podcast for real rugby fans.
Speaker 5: Rugby Direct, Coward Badies Talks.
Speaker 2: Be You're back with Rugby Direct. Time now for our final four. A social mentioned Steve Bull with England coach to come as well. Liam, you caught up with them last week, but into our final four. How many tests will the All Blacks win in this first year under Scott Robertson. They're playing fourteen? How many do they get?
Speaker 3: Twelve?
Speaker 4: I think they definitely lose two, possibly three, two tests in South Africa. I think if you come away from that we're one on one. That's satisfactory. And then you go on the end of your tour and you've got Island away, France away, England away. That's a bloody tough stretch. I would expect them to sweep England at home based on history, and you shouldn't be losing to the Wallabies in the current climate. No, So I think twelve is about what do you reckon? I reckon they take eleven? Yeah, the Sabrigan two looms large if they split, that's you said, a good result int of your tour is very very tricky. We've got Argentina at home for two tests, and the rugby champion ship of Fiji and San Diego. But yet those tests, that three week block in the end of the year tour England then Ireland then France is very very tough to back up each week is very very difficult. So that's going to be a tricky test. Let me put this to you before we move on. Sure the odds are out for the first Test. The All Blacks are a dollar fifteen, England five dollars and the point spread is dropped slightly to thirteen and a half.
Speaker 3: Do you think that's accurate.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised England at five dollars to win this first Test match. Now probably similar to you. I think the All Blacks will get up for both of these two tests. But England's had a game under their belt. They've had six nations earlier in the year, they know their game plan. The All Blacks have had ten days to do so. So quite surprised that England is so far out for this opening test of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I expected it to be a bit closer.
Speaker 4: I guess there's there's a lot of history here. England have lost seven consecutive in New Zealand since two thousand and three, their last last factory here, So and there's context in that Northern teams traditionally struggle at this time of year coming south.
Speaker 2: It's been a long season, World Cup and various other things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right, and that's been the case throughout history. The French sen second string teams, you know, the English last summer out here they were swept three nil. So it is a massive weight of history. The other thing to that is they haven't actually played that much I think maybe three times since twenty fourteen, so there's been a real dearth of competition between these nations. So that's probably why there's also so much anticipation for it.
Speaker 2: Indeed, question number two. The Mold All Blacks claimed a solid win over a Japan fifteen or selection. What's it out to you, I'm going to get first lit one. Cameron saw For had an absolutely storming game for the MOULDI All Blacks everything he's been through this year, but he was whole bag of tricks on the weekend. Both sides of the ball showed as attacking skills, lovely pass to lay on much of the tries. Now we talked a bit earlier about that lock line side covert. He's a player that can do both and if he can remain not word fully healthy, get some more game time under his belt. For Shimi still with North Harbor, he's a player that I could potentially see him being an All Black either this year or next, just if he can get some more consistent game time under his belt, because I think he's got that bag of tricks and the ability to do it. And we saw that come on the weekend, so he stood out for me in that game.
Speaker 3: He's got a big future, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: And prior to his cancer, he was very front and center in my mind for that prototype of what you want for a six and you look ahead to next year for the Blues with a kid Iwana moving on that position, looks like that has to step into for me for the multi All Blacks. We talked about last week one of the voids and the All Blacks being a powerful number twelve, and one guy I don't think we did mention was Quinte Pie and he's the obvious guy and he really stood up for me and the way he carried the ball, his work over the ball at the breakdown, and I was very surprised he didn't start the back end of the year for the Chiefs. I couldn't really work that out, but he is a guy that's in that mold of that big physical twelve that the All Blacks will be looking at.
Speaker 2: He's quite bizarre. He sort of faded out of that Chiefs. He was on the bench, moved out of there. They preferred Daniel Rohna in midfield for it for a period of time, who made some appearance in the wing. It just yeah, hopefully and can get some game time and respellt for what I'd do and perhaps push for that end of your tour or injury cover double barreled three and four. First part of this topic three. What other series is the most intriguing for the July window? And Topic four picked the series scores from. Let's say that the three Sansar Nations playing the three up up north.
Speaker 4: What's got to be the box and the Irish, doesn't it. There's a lot of a lot of history there, but a bit of banter. But a spikee and two of the best teams in the world going here to heads Russy you know, already firing up on Twitter and painting the scene for for Loftus the Irish armissing jameson Gibson Park. I think that's a big out for them. But I think the box take that series two to one too serious. I'm going to say two nil.
Speaker 2: I'm actually slightly more intrigued by Australia Wales just for the fact that I'm intrigued to see how Joe Schmidt goes at the helm of the Wallabies, and you know what, I think that's spot that series one.
Speaker 6: All.
Speaker 4: I haven't had a lot of time have they. Joe smit and Mike cron Well, they probably gonna play the first Test anyway. No, personally, I don't know how much of a massive loss that is. He beels a guy that's come out for the Western four. He's an experienced Head's nice to have, but I think it's time to move on. To a degree, Wales are at a really low ebb.
Speaker 3: They were.
Speaker 4: You know, Gatland's starting another rebuild which gives them a bit of a buffer to a degree. But yeah, it is a very intriguing series. Two teams that need to move, need to rise. I'm going to tip the Wallabies to win that too, nil.
Speaker 2: I'm going to pick one all for that and I'm going to go one all in the other one a lot of drawers. And for England New zeal we picked it to nil to New Zealand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: I think England could be better in the second test than the first. I think the all Blacks will come out of the blocks reasonably well and then might be a little bit beat up for the second.
Speaker 2: All right, that'll do us for a Rugby Direct. But first before we go. You caught up with England rugby coach Steve Borthwick the other day around Auckland as they built into this first test. Good to have him on the pod and she hears some of his thoughts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nice thing English to go out and link lend a hand at Michael Jones' food bank and Evan Dale and have the chance to catch up with Steve. So great to have England here and can't wait for that first test.
Speaker 2: Bring it on. Here's Steve Borthwick on Rugby Direct.
Speaker 4: Steve both work. Thanks for making some time. Start with a bit of history. I guess this teen years since since England we're in New Zealand.
Speaker 6: Is it a change? I guess that's been that long.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think it does feel like having so that we've got a number of players who are on the twenty seventeen British and Irish lanes to to New Zealand an incredible experience now, and they've certainly been sharing their experiences with the younger members of the squad. We've got a young squad that's developing and transitioning since the.
Speaker 5: End of the Rubbery World Cup, and you're supported by.
Speaker 7: Having this group of experienced players that are really leading in guiding and mentor in the younger players.
Speaker 4: Take you back a bit further to two thousand and three. That's the last timing on one here and you're on the bench for that game one point victory, hanging down to thirteen minute at one point. What are your sort of recollections of that game.
Speaker 7: I remember the closest game, the tightness of the game, the fine margins, the attritional nature of it. And I think that's the way New Zealand. New Zealand always have this strong he was skillful, speed power, and certainly to be successful you've got to have a team that's really very fit, tactically, really smart and mentally very strong. And over that period of time that Clive built that team over that number of years.
Speaker 5: They were those things.
Speaker 7: They were physical, film, they were tactically, very smart, mentally restaurant, and you need to be those things against playing against New.
Speaker 4: Zealand twenty one years since that victory as it's something you put on the wall and drawn and talk to the players about your experience and the spy towards.
Speaker 7: I guess I think we're very focused on the future where we want to go as a team.
Speaker 5: We're aware of the history.
Speaker 7: I think you know that's but we're also really looking about where we want to develop as a team. We know coming to play New Zealand in New Zealand it is probably the ultimate challenge this team. It's New Zealand team, so it's such a strong team. Every New Zealand team is so strong, so we know it's an InCred challenge. This young squad we've got, they get excited by challenges and they want to go and play against the best. And I think when you look at this New Zealand squad, that New Zealand coaching team, you see the talent they have and so it's going to be a great challenge for us and we'll looking forward to.
Speaker 4: It we're come forward to more recent history and a lot of the squad. It's actually hits against your blecks when you go back to twenty nineteen World Cup and there was a draw, a twicking in twenty twenty two in the line series as well.
Speaker 6: Does it help having that success, I think the less.
Speaker 7: We've got a group of senior players lived by our captain Jeremy George, who we certainly used to talk about the experiences, but that they have had in the Test arena and passed those experiences onto the younger players. Were rules clear as this is a new New Zealand. It's been a change to the new Zealand coaching team. They are a completely new coaching team, a new captains, this is a this is a this is a different challenge and we are a different team now as well. So I think that bodes for a really exciting first Test down in Duneda.
Speaker 4: Exciting when you talk about that evolution like this, from what I can gather, it's happened quite recent le from and post the loss to Scotland and the Six Nations.
Speaker 6: It was a definitive change and.
Speaker 4: The approached the style and it seems to have been a shift since then, does it feeling accurate?
Speaker 5: I think the.
Speaker 7: Start of Six Nations was a new squad for us, and in our first game we had five new Caps in that first game. It takes time to bring a team together, It takes time to bed players in, it takes time to get people used to how we want to play.
Speaker 5: So we were very clear that we felt.
Speaker 7: That the World Cup we'd built some foundations and in a pretty short space of time we're the coaching team.
Speaker 5: The coaching team came.
Speaker 7: Together at the start of the World Cup training camp, and then we added Felix Jones as a coach at the start of the Six Nations.
Speaker 5: This is smilar to evolving and growing.
Speaker 7: It takes time to understand all the systems. So through the Six Nations that was us developing it and we gradually saw improved which was important. And then the teams come back together for that test against Japan just about ten days ago. We came back together properly and we're again put things together pretty quickly too ready to play.
Speaker 5: Instruman and now we're looking forward to being here in New Zealand.
Speaker 4: Stylistically, there has been a shift from I guess traditional maybe conservatism to teching minded and you get a couple of twenty one year old prospects in the Chanler and.
Speaker 7: Banny failed though, So yeah, we have some guys that come into the Marcus Smith ran in the attack, and you mentioned Felix Joiners as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So just in terms of stylistically, has it been a conscious shift in the way you're playing.
Speaker 7: I think that because you have to look at the context, and the context is that we came together as a coast, so it's such a short space before the World Cup. What you're gonna do is you go put together the base of the game to compete at the World Cup, which is exactly what we did and.
Speaker 5: As every would say, to do that first.
Speaker 7: So you've got to put those foundation rocks and places, and the attack always takes the longest to develop. Part of that becomes because sole relationship based cohesion about the cohesion you have as players. So what we've done is ensure that we've actually tried to build that and it's always been the plan to build on the attack.
Speaker 5: I think we've got some I think we've got some exciting young players, many of whom are very new to the test.
Speaker 7: Arena, very new to playing for England and said that they're all full of desire to do well and then they're exciting talents.
Speaker 6: We have some file stones Evis and what he's brought.
Speaker 4: But what about Andrew Strawbridge. I guess news ongers know him well. He is involved with the Ord Decks and but what have you liked about him? What's what he's what is he brought to your set?
Speaker 7: And the Straws and some of you I've spoken to for many years and watch rugby all around the world and.
Speaker 5: When you see teams doing good things, you.
Speaker 7: Want to know who's been coaching at who's help right and you learn about the chiefs and through a period they were And then I got connected with Straws many years ago and catching contact with somebody I've I've learned a lot from over a number of years. And then the opportunity came for him for us to work together, and he came over in the Six Nations for a few weeks.
Speaker 5: Help us develop and helped us build our game.
Speaker 7: And then I'm really fortunate that he's decided to join us on a more permanent basis and he's a great coach and a fantastic personality around.
Speaker 4: The squad as a trump card would agree when you play the or bakes and a guy that knows them well.
Speaker 7: I think nowadays what happens is everybody as you know, there no level of analysystem goes on.
Speaker 5: Everybody knows each other pretty well.
Speaker 7: What I've found with this group, this coach, this young group we have now is the one to focus very much on themselves, very much up on what we've got to do to grow and what Straws.
Speaker 5: Does as such an excellent.
Speaker 7: Coach, how he works one on one with people. He's got a brilliant manner to find a little bit more out of each player. So that's what he's focused on a very much focusing on the individual skills and how we get.
Speaker 5: A little bit more out of each each player.
Speaker 4: A touch on your bleaks and how much things have changed. It's actually the biggest change in twenty years in terms of management, new.
Speaker 6: Coach, new captain and that we've experienced post World campin.
Speaker 4: Has left as.
Speaker 6: Possibly a good time to play them.
Speaker 7: I'll say, I think there's no bigger challenge in rugby than playing New Zealand. In New Zealand they are You've got a coaching team there by Scott Robinson, who such a great record himself coaching throughout his coaching career. Yes, that some players aren't there from a cup with there's a little law of experience in that squad. And this was a squad that on lost the World Cup by point, so we know these are This is.
Speaker 5: An incredibly.
Speaker 7: It's an incredible New Zealand squad. They have got pace and power in their team. We've also been watching the Super Rugby closely. We've seen how well the New Zealand teams have done, you know obviously especially the Blues. So we know this is going to be a great challenge. But I'll go back to where I said is we're a young squad. We want to be challenged.
Speaker 4: But what do you expect, You know, your first test and theneven and of the Earth's speaking to be hard and fast and it's been to.
Speaker 7: So I remember in twenty seventeen the Bridge and Irish lines, to remember the noise in the atmosphere it was, it was phenomenal. And the players talked about drafts, about the communication on the field. Who are expecting a brilliant atmosphere there. Everyone has speak to talks about the surface being a fast surface, so expecting the ball to be moving the play univers and also with the roof I'm told about as can the ball can be a bit greasy at times, so it can lead to transitions, it can lead to turnovers. So how quickly you react to those opportunities of beating a tackle, beating defense is it's going to be really important.
Speaker 4: Just in terms of your squad, I think that you again largely stick with the same thing from Japan for the oublicks with a view to cohesion. Is it something that's important to build those combinations, to take stipping stones and and give have faith in them and relates.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so I think I think we've got a really good squad. It's a young squad, it's a really good squad. I fully enjoy working with them. I think that given the preparations time the England team has, which is not very much, I think that it's important to keep building a level of cohesion amongst the squad. So this squad, the changes we made from the remember of the Six Nations to where we are now as as minimal as could be and as discussed about the way.
Speaker 5: We we we play.
Speaker 7: We want to transition, evolve, gradually. The same thing around our squad. It's transition, evolve gradually so we can keep cohesion there.
Speaker 6: Just a couple of things finish.
Speaker 4: How much of a chef do you think he made towards the becking of the Six Nations? Their performance against Ireland, very close against France, the game against Japan. I'm sure there's things you want to work on, but in terms of progression and in.
Speaker 7: Chefs, I think I think the team squad are growing.
Speaker 5: We've got a long way to go, but I feel that the team is growing.
Speaker 7: When you look at that the start of the six as any to a tail, you want your players available, they want to fit, and the start of Six Nations, we have five new players for New Caps in the first twenty match day twenty three. I hadn't anticipated doing that, but I think all five of those guys are going to be great and good players in the future. Gradually through the Six Nations, we've.
Speaker 5: Had players come back to fitness.
Speaker 7: We are a number of players now run on this trip for a few different reasons, a couple of injuries.
Speaker 5: But one of the things that's.
Speaker 7: Struggling here is the excitement, energy and intensity of these players. They've been going now for as soon as guys have.
Speaker 5: Been going for more than twelve boys and for every day.
Speaker 7: The intensity they bring to training just keeps.
Speaker 5: It just keeps driving forward.
Speaker 7: And so as said, I think it's a great squad led by a very good captain in Jamie George, and we're going in the toughest place to play rugby.
Speaker 6: Let's see startup on there.
Speaker 4: Get a bit story, wouln't that it takes to take Yeah, and I'm.
Speaker 5: Going to take a step this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just to wrap up, I guess we've talked about history.
Speaker 6: We talked about haharded as to play in the island and his zealand. What what does a successful tour look like?
Speaker 5: Well, I think that cool.
Speaker 7: We always go on to the pitch and putting ourselves in a position to win the game. We know what more a challenge that is against these guns and our sense and excitement from the players.
Speaker 5: We have enormous respectful rugby in this country.
Speaker 7: It struck me as you travel just again, I saw her in twenty seventeen coming around the country. The British and Irish lions, how passionate the supporters are. However, we loved rugby in this country and I think our players really enjoying being here. I think we've we've experienced a real incredible welcome from the New Zealand public since we've arrived. We expect that to be a little bit different a week on Saturday, So for us, this experience is in valuable for us in our development and we look forward to next Saturday night.
Speaker 2: We will see you next week as the t season gets underwear. Thanks to Excess Solutions elevating you and your business to a high level, and thanks as well to Last and Vas English. See next week on right Direct.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks. It'd be listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio.