Speaker 1: The information provided in this program is of a general nature and is not intended to be personalized financial advice. We encourage you to seek appropriate advice from a qualified professional to suit your individual circumstances. The US Federal Reserve is cutting rights for the first time in four years, sending equity markets here to new heights. But our investors factoring in every risk.
Speaker 2: Equity is a price for perfection, and there's a lot of things that could happen between now in the next six months. Say that could upset this. I think great equilibrium that we've had of strong earnings growth going into a FED cutting cycle.
Speaker 1: What are the biggest risks at faces right now going forward?
Speaker 2: Federal government is stretched. No one has any plan to fix the situation.
Speaker 1: The US economy is growing just shy of three percent quarterly with strong consumer spending power. Unemployment is around four percent, and the pace of inflation has slowed, but the Federal Reserve feels the need to provide rate relief. Our economy is strong overall and has made significant progress toward our goals over the past two years. As a result, confidence among Americans is improving, with October's reading recording its strongest monthly gain since March twenty twenty one. The number of consumers expecting a recession dropped to its lowest level, and optimism about equities hit a new high. It's no surprise given the S and P five hundred and Nasdaq have surged more than twenty percent this year. To date, the US economy has seemingly delivered the impossible and expansion instead of a slowdown, despite the end of the Zerp era in twenty twenty two. This is where interest rates are in the US currently. Analysts expect the Fed to keep cutting from here, with the market pricing in a ninety five percent chance of a quarter percent cut to arpup to the election. Economist Dmitri Vilasis is among them. We visited Hamil Wall Street while we were in New York to discuss if the UIs economy and equity markets are actually unbreakable. Dimitri, thank you so much for having us.
Speaker 3: In New York. Our pleasure. Welcome to New York. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Last time we did this, it was an Auckland. This is a cut above.
Speaker 3: Love to hear it.
Speaker 1: Let's start by talking about the feed. The latest move was a fifty basis point cut half a percent a lot, especially given it was their first cut. It seems though, like the FED has delivered the impossible. You haven't had a recession in America. How do you think this stage of the UIs economy and what the FED has done will age.
Speaker 2: I think the US economy isn't a really good place. I mean, we have over three percent real growth, inflation is down to run two and a half percent. I mean the fact it's done objectively an incredible job of bringing down inflation without hurting growth too much, without hurting the labor market too much. What I think motivated them to do a fifty basis cut despite this rosy outlook, is that the labor market had slowed down a law when we looked at the data over the summer. If I were the FED, I would say, hey, this is a good thing, and we got to keep it going. And to keep it going, we've got a lower rates And I think that's what led them to start the cutting cycle with a fifty basis point cut.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was going to ask you about how much the labor market actually influenced that Feed's decision in your eyes. I mean, there was some economists out there saying they shouldn't have done it if you just look at inflation. But given they have the dual mandate, this was more of a labor market call, you think.
Speaker 2: I think, as you said, the FED has a dual mandate, which means, you know, the Chairman and the FMC have to decide which side of the mandate to pay attention to at any given point, and this is a kind of risk evaluation exercise. And I think what the FMC judged was that the labor market was weakening, risks were piling up on the labor market side, and there weren't that many upside risks on the inflation side. So I think the thinking has moved from the past two years to thinking a lot more about the labor market and less about inflation because it's less of a problem.
Speaker 1: Frankly, how is the jobs market in the US currently?
Speaker 3: It's still fantastic.
Speaker 2: I mean, the latest job support which we got, which was after the FED cut, was a blockbuster report added around two hundred and fifty thousand jobs, which is very very strong performance.
Speaker 3: So we still have.
Speaker 2: A fantastic VU ratio vacancy to unemployed to unemployment ratio. There are still more jobs than unemployed people, and I think that's a great place to be for the US labor market. At the same time, earnings are growing, but they're not growing too quickly to stow inflation concerns, So I think it's in a great place.
Speaker 1: So it seems like I could say, the perfect amount of opportunity for Americans without having too much wage inflation for employeers, perfectly balanced.
Speaker 2: One could say, if we could keep it that way forever, and I think that's what the FED would say as well, that's exactly where.
Speaker 3: You want to be.
Speaker 1: Well, that can't happen. So what do you think the forecast is from here? Does the hold on to this for a while with the fifty cut and leave it or do they keep cutting at a slower rate or are there some risks and they might have to go the other way?
Speaker 2: I mean, market pricing suggests that they'll continue the cutting cycle at twenty five basis points intervals. The next meeting has been moved back a little bit so not to coincide with the election, so we'll know on November seven whether they do another twenty five basis point and then another meeting in December. Sherman Powell has hinted that this is the direction he'd like to go. But as I said, there are some hawks risks there because the labor market report came in very strong, so the FED might be inclined to skip a meeting, see how the market's reacting, and then if it needs to keep cutting, it can keep doing that, whether at twenty five or fifty basis point. I think they'll just decided meeting my meeting. They're in a good place. They don't need to pre commit to anything. They can just wait and see how the economy is doing.
Speaker 1: Just let it run well. Speaking of things running, equity markets, are they just unbreakable in this country at this point?
Speaker 2: To make sure, Look, I think if we zoom out and think a little bit about you know, where US equities sit on the global value chain. Most of the innovation comes from the United States. It accrues to US companies, and accordingly, you know, all the benefits of that innovation, all that value that's being generated worldwide by things like AI, digitization, et cetera, All those things accrue to shareholders of US companies. So I think the US is well positioned generally to capture most of the fruits of global growth, and it does so via the equity market. So that's the main thing. Just you know, beyond the electoral cycle and the FED cycle and all these things, the fundamentals are just really good and you have strong productivity growth, strong capital deepening. That's all driven by US equity markets. So I think if I just look at it from a purely fundamental perspective, equities are in a good place.
Speaker 1: You see it in a piece of research that you put out very recently that I've read on my way here and just actually laughed at because you said, there is chaos everywhere. If you look around the world, you know, there's proxy wars, there's potentially unleashed for school stimulus in China. Equity markets don't seem to care about any of this, and least alone US election and coming explain that.
Speaker 2: I think equity markets, again, you know, valuations are quite stretched, so things are going very well and people are full of optimism. And I think what I wanted to point out in my note was that beyond the United States, beyond the stellar economy that we have here, there's.
Speaker 3: Actually a lot of turbulence.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of turbulence in Europe, which is kind of myrod and stagnation and seems to remain.
Speaker 3: There for a very long time.
Speaker 2: There's obviously conflict in the Middle East that could easily escalate.
Speaker 3: To something much worse.
Speaker 2: And there's everything that's going on in China, and it's a big question whether the government will be able to stimulate the economy successfully or not, and what kind of geopolitical risks are associated with that around China. So I equities a price for perfection, and there's a lot of things that could happen between now in the next six months, say that could upset this I think great equilibrium that we've had of strong earnings growth going into a FED cutting cycle.
Speaker 1: Well, let's focus on the domestic economy and the US. I do want to talk to you about the election and the federal deficit and what could perhaps happen there. But just on the UIs economy, what are the biggest risks at faces right now going forward?
Speaker 2: Well, I think Madison, you actually hit the nail on the head there. Fiscal is probably the biggest risk. There was another thing I was concerned about, which was a very low savings rate, which we had at the beginning of the year. But the latest revision to the national economic data suggests that the savings rate was actually much higher than we thought. It's over five percent, which is a comfortable place to be. The consumer is not actually a stretch stretched as we thought, so we're likely looking at a continuing strong consumer. The fiscal deficit, on the other hand, federal government is stretched. No one has any plan to fix the situation, and I don't think any electoral outcome is likely to make it a lot better.
Speaker 3: We don't know who's going to be elected.
Speaker 1: It's anyone's geese the polls and Nick and Nick I typically don't like to talk about politics, but let's just focus on that deficit. You mentioned that no candidate has any desire to decrease it. Who could increase it more? And how inflationary could that be and perhaps have to lead to a federal reserve response.
Speaker 2: So I mean, let's take the things one by one. As you know, here in the United States, it's not the president. It is Congress that decides fiscal policy. So the composition of Congress will matter at least as much, if not more, as who is going to be the next president. If it were to end up in a situation where Donald Trump is president with a Republican Congress. I think that's a more adverse outcome for the fiscal deficit, just because the promises has given of significant tax cuts are only estimated to be far larger than the ones that Democrats have, and I think we would end up in a deficit situation. There's a lot of other things that Donald Trump had in mind for the economy that could affect the deficit, end the FED response, and I'm happy to go into those. But if, on the other hand, you end up with a divided government, meaning you know, kind of from one party in the White House and then a different party controls at least one chamber in Congress, then I think you'll end up with a more benign outlook for fiscal because whichever government is in opposition and controls the Chamber of Congress will generally want to restrain the president and keep a tighter fiscal outlook.
Speaker 1: I guess the ultimate question, given we've spoken about how perfect the US economy is right now, it is the center of global finance. We're just off Wall Street right now, does it really matter? Can't America ride that out? Won't the magnificent seven in this country save us?
Speaker 2: I think in general you know, when you look at it in a kind of decade perspective, American companies and the United States economy will be fine, and I think they will. United States, regardless of the political outcomes, will continue to dominate international innovation and the technological frontier.
Speaker 3: That's not in question.
Speaker 2: Where it becomes, you know, A little bit more problematic is for things like the treasurer's market.
Speaker 3: How much can the government borrow?
Speaker 2: I like to joke, you know, because of the exorbitant privilege of issuing the US dollar, the United States federal deficits a little bit like those fancy credit cards.
Speaker 3: They don't tell you what the credit limit is.
Speaker 2: There is a credit limit, but the only way to find out is by hitting it. And I think that's what has economists concerned, is that we might be getting closer to actually hitting the credit limit of the US federal deficit.
Speaker 1: But in the meantime, the US can probably continue to live beyond its mains.
Speaker 2: I think more than any other economy in the world, the US can lived beyond its means. That is a consequence of being the center of global finance and issuing the reserve currency. Now, none of these things are forever as history teaches us, so it's important to be cautious about, you know, how we treat the US dollar, what competition there is to the dollar system, and how America conducts its international financial policy with respect to that. So it's therefore now, but I would caution it's not a given forever.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for your time, always good to chat and especially in your home too.
Speaker 3: Absolute pleasure. Thank you for visiting