Speaker 1: You're listening to the Marcus lush Night's podcast from News Talks, that'd.
Speaker 2: Be greetings, welcome, hit'll twelve Miname is Marcus. I hope it's good with you. I let us know what's going on. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty and nine two ninety two to text a couple of things. It's the budget to days. Traditionally on the evening show, the budget has not provided a huge amount of things for people to talk about. That's just experienced. Tonight might be different. If it's something that you are ecstatic to talk about, or something you want explained, or some question you've got that you want to ask the rest of the audience about, feel free to come through about that. What that is I can't speculate about. But if there is something that you want to talk about, let us know, oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty. It's always hard one to pick one for me with a budget because one of those ones that it's one of those ones that comes out, it takes a while for people to realize how it's going to affect them before they form their opinion. That's my understanding of it takes people a little bit of time and thinking, hang on, this is going to fit me in this way, and then perhaps the outrage and things will trickle down, trickle through.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I think the budget cycle has changed somewhat now with the leaks before, not the leaks, but with the release of material before the actual day. You don't get it like you once did. Oh and of course the the it's not like the price of smokes and beer like once upon a time, which was huge. It was all cigarettes and beer and guess and people would drive to the gas station to flop their car and they'd buy smokes and beer. They'd stock parley ahead of the budget. But now not so much so. If you want to talk about that, feel free eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine text the other thing you might want to talk about. Oh, by the way, there was a fire and Cromwell and berries ev. I think I've got that run right. I hope it's not the Buffalo food truck. I don't think it is, because I've gone to their Facebook page only because I follow them for reasons. But the fire crew is responding to a fire and Central otago on barriev. If you are there, if you know anything about that, let us know. It wull be the KINDI I've spent some time on barriev not a lot, but anyway, let me know about that. The other thing you might want to talk about too, Oh no, this is me just keep you up to date. The Bogonia House has been saved at the Wellington Council meeting. I'm reading that now. That's a new story that's just kind of come through. The council voted unanimously to say the Begonia House. Just two counselors, Ben McNulty and Tim Brown voted against it. They adopted a do minimum option recommended by council officers, requiring an increase in budget from eight point one million to eleven million. Is it for a year for that cheapers, I don't quite know how much cost that is for how long, but you might want to mention that also too. So that's what's happening. If there is other news that happens tonight, I will keep you across that. I'm expecting breaking news. I just don't know what it is. At the stage. I'm watching the Southland Sharks. They're playing at the moment they're slightly behind. They're playing the Hawk's Bay team. I'll keep you updated with that the family there, but by looking at the stand there aren't many others there got that on of the TV. So I'll keep you posted on that very close basketball game this afternoon that I watched with the nixt Gosh, that was exciting towards the end. Anyway, So you call the shots, what you've got you want to talk about, feel free to come through, long night ahead. It seems eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nine two nine two de text. But if you do it, if you've got something, if you've got something reasoned or curious to say about the budget, feel free to come through. It seems like the immediate aftermath of the budget, it's people kind of jockeying for the headline and for the slogan that the budget becomes. Now how useful that is, I just don't know, But there we go. I don't think it's just sort of the thing that stops a nation like it once did, although I did look about two o'clock for updates from it, and I think he was saddle about. But anyway, there we go. But get in touch you do on to talk or the other topic I want to talk about tonight, and this is something that actually is of interest to me, And it might be something you've thought about, it might not be something you've thought about. But I see that Kate Winslet, who we loved in the Titanic. I was enjoyed that discussion on talk about with the Titanic that the person thought that the old woman on the Titanic was an actual survivor of the Titanic. But such a lovely thing to believe that that, yes, that James camer had gone and found someone that was on the Titanic to play the role fictional role anyway, just remembering that anyway, Kate Winslett's daughter as an actor. And the question I have for you is quite a good question. Would you encourage your child, your son or your daughter or did you to go into the same career as you and how did that work? Because what I imagine is such a short length of time, even the time of one generation, a large number of careers are kind of defunct, aren't they. So yeah, would you or have you encouraged your children to go into the same career as you have, because I'm sure most people don't. Uniss, you're involved in one of those businesses where you've built up the capitol and the headquarters and they can come and join the family engineering firm or haymaking firm or something along those lines. So I'm curious to know about that, if you have encouraged your children to jump into the or if you would encourage your children to go to the same as you have eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine two ninety two de text. Just kind of curious about that. Would that be something that you would do or think was a good idea? I think more often not these days, you'd look on as a bit of a surprise. If someone's going to the same career that you're into, you might want to comment on that. I'd like to hear about that. And by the way, I can tell you too that this is that this is something that the people of Dunedin need to be alarmed about. It seems as though the Lookout Point fire station in Dunedin is going to be demolished. It is earthquake prone. If you don't know that building driving out from Dunedin as you go up the hill past Corsaphene, gorgeous looking building would be one of the most picturesque fire stations in the country that ought to be saved. But yeah, you might have a strong comment on that because I think probably the need needs to save its old buildings because it's kind of what it's known for. That's a beautiful building. So yeah, be aware of that that that's something they want to demolish and you don't want that to happen. I don't know the full details they're going to relocate anyway. I guess it'd make good apartments somewhere. Put the students in it. You've got the poll could be fun. You might want to mention that as well. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nine two nine two The texts you want to come through? Marcus till twelve psh looking forward to what you've got to say? Would you encourage your child to do the same job as you? If not, why not because a chance to look back on your career and think, well, no, actually just about killed me, or no it's a dying art, or no, because AI will take over. That's what most people say, won't they. It's all about AI. Keep your texts coming through too. Fifteen past date, Fire and Berries, Air of Cromwell. Wat's that on fire? The Bigonia Houses say, Marcus, totally off topic, but I'm curious to know why Australia is having so much rain and flooding in recent times. I suppose it's due to climate change. I don't know, but it seems as though that area, that northern New South Wales area is getting absolutely hammered. Every time I've turned the rugby league on, it's absolutely bucketing down the women's state of origin. The matches in the weekend infect a lot of them more often than not. On the weekend it's been absolutely persisting. I don't know there's any talk back in then. I don't think anyone quite knows why Australia would be so flood prone. Maybe it's some cycle who knows about that. Anyway, if you want to get in touch, hit til twelve looking forward to what you've got to say. Oh eight hundred eighty eight nine nine two detext Marcus till midnight tonight if you want to comment on these particular topics, or if there's something else you want to mention. Pretty much enjoyed last night's topics about Smith and Curry, but mainly about the communication and how they did the books in the old days, with everything on a wire. Oh yeah, but yes, the other thing is about making your child follow into your same career, because I'd imagine once upon a time it was encouraged the right thing to do is to do what your parents had done, following your father's footsteps. Sohah, So you might want to mention that, as I say, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nine nine two de texts if you do want to come through. Kimradashan's a lawyer. Good on her, worked hard for that over six years, doing it part time bringing up the children. I'm not suggesting that's a talk back topic, but I'm just putting that out there for the doubters. Seventeen past eight. Some of the other stuff too. I don't quind kind of know what's going on with run it Straight. There seems to be so many different things have run it straight that, in fact it's hard to keep but with which ones have been canceled? And a very interesting article today in the paper about a bakery and in Vericago or in South And called Kaye's Cake Kitchen or Kay's Kitchen. They are using Australian broker to buy their butter. Yeah, so often they use butter to make their products because the butter is cheaper. They order ten tons of time from and that's in the middle. That's the factory Otpiniev or wherever they've got a second shove. Also broken biscuits and the like. But they're in the middle of the heartland, the dairy heartland. They're getting some of their butter, a lot of their butter from Australia, which would make you think there's something wrong with that sh Anyway, that's what we've got eight hundred and eight, Tady. I look forward to to your copy. By the way, hold your horses people. Yeah, I'm looking at how they draw the real North South divide in the UK in the UK, and what the line is and what the defining thing is I reckon In the UK the currying, the clear clear definition between north and South is the line where people have curry sauce or ketchup on their fish and chips cheapest. I don't know what that would be in New Zealand. What would differential differentiate the North and the South of New Zealand. As far as what the food they eat, I didn't know. In the UK they had curry sauce on their chips. They never come across at twenty five past eight Brettett's Marcus, Welcome, good.
Speaker 4: Evening, Marcus.
Speaker 5: I don't advise my son not to be a diesel mechanic.
Speaker 2: Because of the way diesel. But there's not going to be diesel car or trucks.
Speaker 5: No, no, no working out in the cold and the trucks. When you get the fifty, you start feeling the aches and pains for people.
Speaker 2: Say, hey, cold concrete, lying on your back, falling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in the bad ye constantly knocking your head on hard steel. Rightly. I've been working part time with im baggage now, but I do your little warrants for my mate and a lot of the cars now empty. We go for a test drive and the fuel lights on. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Is it showing you no one's got any money?
Speaker 5: Exactly?
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: You know I did five cars today and for them fuel lights on. I'm gonna take my phone cut up, running up, and I go for a test dride test to break and why not.
Speaker 2: Well that's pretty that's a pretty telling thing on the economy, isn't it. No one's got any money.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I've always thought a bit going into the business, but everybody I work for they've been happy time collecting money.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's something I couldn't do.
Speaker 2: What happens with that? What happens with diesel mechanics? Do you just get really achy? Or what happens at the end of your at the end, you know, when you know, when you get to fifty you just saw as are you?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well narthriders, but that's not true being a diesel mechanic. But yeah, you just worn out cold achy.
Speaker 2: And it seems like a lot of the shops aren't that warm either, are they?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: No, usually outside because a lot of shops you can't get a truck in, so you're outside. Well, back in the days when I was working, it was the last forty years.
Speaker 2: So have you given it up? Where you're about to give it up? Bread?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm succeed, aren't you.
Speaker 8: See?
Speaker 1: Me?
Speaker 5: Retired? Because an hour of my hands and they ache like he I got no grippy. I can't hold things and I've got it in my shoulders, my herds here second hit replacement coming up?
Speaker 2: What is it working as a mechanic that's done your hips?
Speaker 5: I don't know, getting nothing down. I can't do it now? Yeah, simply well they say I've got out to rights for there's just so they don't did you see know nothing?
Speaker 2: Did you ever during your during your career, like twenty years ago, think of doing something else and regret that you didn't?
Speaker 5: No, because I love and things. Yeah, come, you've.
Speaker 2: Got a gifted it clearly.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Oh I do everything anything. Yeap.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 2: Nice to hear from you, Bret. That's a pretty interesting take on that one. Thank you, Brett. Would you get your kids to do the same job you've done, Guys, it gives you a chance to turk out talk about what you've done and how you go with that. Marcus, would you courage en courage your kids to do radio? I don't think probably in twenty or three years there will be radio. I think probably it'll be a different thing. That'd be my take on. I don't know if they want to do it. It's fairy show, no desire to it. I don't think kids are interesting radio. It's all on Spotify and think things I think. I mean, I don't want to say that to sound uncontroversial, but I think that's reality. With music music radio, it's all just playlists curated. You don't need the band till you get the band in other places. That'd be my take on that, Marcus, Evening, how are you? Are you well? And when was the last time you had an r J. Schubert Fizz? They have downsized quite a bit, never had one. I am someone that's never quite liked r J's licorice. I've always thought it was a too soft for me. Always preferred the Black Night, which I think is actually the stuff that they now have. They now make under license. But you would never have a shoe butt fizz or whatever it is. They even know what it is. Marcus. My daughter is fifty percent owner of my audio visual company. She doubled the turnover. What could be better? Brian? Is there a thing called diesel fume poison that gets into the body and caused aches and pains? Just saying Cheryl? Cheryl asks that rhetorically, Marcus. Did you see the Southern story in one news last night? I have so many interesting memories traveling from Aeshburton to Unedin. Like your thoughts on that, Marcus, what us? Like my thoughts on you traveling from Eshburton to Dunedin or the Southerner. I'll tell you how the Southerner won't happen, and it was mischievous of Kibi Rawl to put it on. That's my take. So yeah, I don't even know why people go on and on about it because they're just tweying with us. The trains ain't coming back, and they might in twenty years time, but then I'm not coming back in the South Island because people now have got cars and they won't get rid of their cars. But yeah, it's ye. Would you encourage your child to be a train driver? Probably not. Well, I'll tell you what. The train drivers they go to Australia and they get huge money.
Speaker 6: Jet.
Speaker 2: It's down to one point in the basketball that Cad won a ball. That's a right because he made a sign. He is excited about that. Good evening, Billet's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 6: He killed a Marcus. You know, I wouldn't buy my kids doing my job, but they're all higher qualified than I was. I started that builders laborer, brickige laborer, scaffolding, you know, doing in the building, and the fee them not not a trades person obviously, then Freezing works taxi driver and the last twenty eight years as a key taken to primary school. Wow, and I've got a what's called a congestive lung disease, which was diagnosed about eight to nine years ago. And when it first was first diagnosed, the specialist said to me, he said, have you been a diesel mechanic at some stages? I said no. He said, have you worked around buses or trucks?
Speaker 3: I said no.
Speaker 6: So he got onto the history and it's a combination of smoking for well, probably twenty years, I was shoveling coal, you know, in the boiler at school, working with chemicals around the gardens, swimming pool chemicals, and twenty five years of road patrol, and then there was a combination of all that has given me this given me this congestive lung thing that it slowed me down at this stage is not going to kill me, hopefully. But the interesting thing was that, you know, as I say, the specially said that I ever worked around diesel. So there's the answer to a question that lady may have been wrying about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's amazing that just you know that we think that that the doctor would put down road to control road patrol. Just standing on the side of the road for an hour a day would cause such.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, twenty five years of it you know, just the fumes and stuff. You know, it's a combination of it all. The thing was when I was shoving the coal, you know, we just used to just wear masks like they wear today with COVID that's that was a capital that's all you it was required. And same with you know, we're spraying chemicals around school at the swimming pool. Just that there was none of these big flash masks available and yeah, so you know, just just a combination of all of that. Of course, the issue.
Speaker 2: So you wouldn't I suppose you wouldn't be encouraging an your kids to be taxi drivers now either, would you? Because that's gone, hasn't it.
Speaker 6: Oh, there's no I mean I used to do something abs shopping shifts. You know, they were illegal. You know, I'd have the car for sort of you know, twenty four hours. I had to doctor a box to get away with it. Yeah, not cheap financially, but but you know, doctor them up. So I wasn't on the road for too many hours. You know, you had to take a break after a certain amount of time, and you're able to drive for ten hours or something that you had never where you drive for twelve hours and I think you had there have a teen our break, but yeah, there's no there's no money in it.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 6: You learn a good living back in the old days, especially the owner drivers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even the licenses were worth a fortune, weren't they.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I was only driving for for you know, for a wage. But on a busy night when nobody wanted to work, like New Year's Eve, it was hard to get somebody. I was given the opportunity of driving a van for fifty fifty under the table. I jumped at that, you know, because you know, you had a lot of work with vans, because you know, you get companies that seven or eight people go out to, you know, have a drink and they will want to go home together or they will want to go to a certain destination afterwards. So that was really handy. They were good jobs. You pick someone up in Papa Nui and take them to little.
Speaker 2: What's that twenty bucks on the day.
Speaker 6: A yeah, yeah, easy, yeah, yeah. I remember. I remember picking up a group from from Littleton and they were they were Japanese fishermen and I took them to the Calag's message parlor. And in Sydenham, you're taking the lot fare was no, I didn't know. No, it was there was only about thirteen dollars something. And they said to me, you know, cart you've got cards. So I gave them a card, and I got a phone call about twenty past twelve and can't pick them all up. Then they're all happy as larry. They're all pissed and smiling. That had their you know whatever they had, Yes, and we get back to Littleton. Of course, the fear changed after midnight, you know, yes, and I think it was I think it was sixteen dollars eighty or something. And anyway, one folly gives me twenty dollars. An we're going to give them some change. No, no, no, no, no, next finally gives me twenty dollars or so they all paid me. Wow, they all paid me twenty dollars. I think there were six or there were seven to seven or eight of them, so only had to declare you know what was on the meter. Yeah, So the rest went in went in my pocket.
Speaker 2: It's a good story, Bell, Thanks for that. There we go, Marcus, Hey, Marcus Tobin, I'm wondering what the problem with all your moaning listers is about. Run it straight. No one cares about when people run in union or league. Everyone that moans about this is clearly not a rugby league fan. If it doesn't involve you, worry about your own life, Boomers. I didn't not necessarily how many people are opposed to that. I thought there were when I talked about this, I think was on Monday. I think people people thought it would be quite a good thing. I don't think there's any blanket approach to people being opposed to it or in favor of it. But it clearly is a lot different from rugby or league. So I mean, you just think about John Josh for a sec. I mean, it's like chalk and cheese. I think if you want to make our analogy, you probably compare it to boxing, perhaps, which I think probably invented these days. Without kind of its cultural history, you wouldn't get permission to have it going. But because it's sort of from the services or whatever, people love it. Shane. It's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 10: You know, Marcus nice to check to you. So well, there's a little bit of a turnary and Shane followed in my footsteps, and then he got a little better than me, and now I'm following.
Speaker 1: In his Oh, well, this is great.
Speaker 10: Okay, here's something different. So he would have grown up seeing me either boxing in the ring or on stage at the theater. So he became head boy here at Otumoto College. He's got a national title as a junior. And then he says, Dad, I've got three scholarships. It's the Lincoln University of Wellington, Georgia in the States, but I'm going to take Toy for Carry because it's the hardest one to get into. Dead that's Premier Erecting School. Dr Warner and all of them, all of the Yeah, from one class, which was quite remarkable.
Speaker 2: I had quite a bit of there's one year and they're all for like Martin Showcash. There's all sorts of them, they all around the world. And yeah, that's right, you're on top.
Speaker 10: Was there when he graduated and you're looking at the say, two hundred black and white photos and you're looking for a star. And then they all are in one class. What a remarkable year.
Speaker 2: Oh they're all the same class, Moti Is that right?
Speaker 10: No, No, they were all in the same year Toy for Carry when they graduated. Carl Evan was in there with Chris Curtis and Michael doctor Water and they're all in the same classes. Are quite remarkable.
Speaker 2: They worked what was your trade?
Speaker 10: Well, back in fifty years ago, you're either an electrician, a calf under or a plant so I thought of be a technician. Anyone who went to university was usually become a lawyer of smoke dope once they started charging people and people got a bit more specific. So I've only had the two jobs, but my passion was always acting. So so he grew up seeing me on stage and I've done several films, and ironically, so I went over to see him perform in China. He was on Shanghai Disney Disneyland here and he was performing with snow White and they fell in love and he went to Sweden and married her. And then COVID hit. So he came back to New Zealand and he got the part on He came back to show Around and he got the part of the doctor on Schorlin Street and he played Doctor Rico, a game WARDI doctor, and he was quite popular therefore for the six months. And ironically I've just come from Auckland playing his father's following his foot steps, although to a lesser degree. I'm not as successful as playing a racist. So it was funny to see his father following his son's foot steps and gay door to a white supremacist.
Speaker 2: So you were playing the racist on Shortland Street.
Speaker 10: Yes, I was up there last month for a couple of reasons.
Speaker 2: It's brilliant. So yes, I presume your son is Mali and you're not. Is that right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 10: My wife, So yeah, he's come up with the maudy blood portugue. He doesn't look like me or go to cut down his roles. He's quite a good looking boy.
Speaker 2: When do we get to see you?
Speaker 10: So I'll be add on fifteenth of September. And so you're a completely different character to the to the to the nice guy he was playing.
Speaker 2: It's fantastic. So you followed your son's career.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so now I'm trying to do it full time like he is. He's in the ether. Thing he said to me was dead. It's a bit expenses in Zille, and so it's gone over to Italy with his U with his new wife, and I bought a house there because in southern Italy it's quite cheap to buy a house. Computer, he said, a bit expensive for new Zealand, so I bought a place there and he's got his wife is an actress, so they all wait. So she would work six months and Disney then and then take six months off in Italy, so that will be their base now.
Speaker 2: So hang on, Shane, yep, were you any good?
Speaker 11: Me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? As a white cymacist? Did they did that? Did your son watch your performance? Did he hang around to say.
Speaker 10: No, no, he won't see it. No, So he's in Italy at the moment, so he was on about two years ago. Here's a Sai yet, Marcus, I knocked it out of the park.
Speaker 2: Did your easy to be a white surprise? It's so ridiculous?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Okay, right, and it was good because they're usually fairly conservative characters, so it was great to get a partner. Was right off and they're just such a brilliant punch of people. They just let me go with it.
Speaker 2: And was it just was it just one in one and done?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 10: It's five days of filming, so I'm not sure if it's going to be one day or over a weeks.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Most actors, you're full on and then you're back to being Portunately, I'm retired. So then you're straight back to being unemployed looking for the next role.
Speaker 2: Were you killed off or could you get back on?
Speaker 10: Oh? I could see a lot of them would get back on.
Speaker 6: What happened.
Speaker 10: I won't tell you what we've but we've left the doors being left open. I believe my son has still got an apartment there as well his character, so he right back could come back as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you, they could bring you back and reform you. You could see the light and become educated or something.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I won't give too much away.
Speaker 2: Okay, don't give too I'll ask you to. I'm going to run anyway. Fourteen to nine, feel free to come through seven to nine? Were you an extra on Shortland Street? There we go? Whole world must be mother stage? But yeah, who got to play a white supremacist? Unbelievable? Get in touch. And also too, would you encourage your child into the profession you have had profession job, whatever that is? And did you follow your parents into their one and regret that or something of that. ILK also to looking at a very interesting article about the North South divide in the UK, and they found out what divides north and South. It's what they have on their chips. I had no idea about this, but researchers have got involved to find a line between the North and the South, a straight line linking the Severn estory with the Wash and new survey argues that the true North South divide isn't dictateted by anything as mighty as as paramount as politics. In fact, it's dictated by what we put our fish and chips, and a sweeping serve of two thousand people have revealed that the further north you are, the more likely you are to have curry sauce rather than kitch up. I've never heard of anyone having carry sauce on chips. Yeah, so I don't know what that's about, but you might want to say something about that. You might want to even have a guess on what the New Zealand equivalent of that would be. I don't really know anything about how would they make curry sauce. You wonder why no one's offering here because this sounds slightly delicious. It's quite a complicated article actually, so it doesn't look uniform about where people actually do that. Anyway, get in touch you on the talk. My name is Marcu's welcome hit to the end. Hit of Midnight eight hundred and eighty tay nine two nine two the text looking forward to what you've got to say. If you've got comments on the budge, feel free to come through about that. Also tonight, if there's any breaking news, I will bring that up for you. There was fire cruise responding to a fire in Barry ab and Cromwell. I'm waiting for an update from our Cromwell correspondent on that. I'm not quite sure who that was is. And the Bogonia House due to be saved. That's in Wellington. They say it's the third most visited thing in Wellington. I'm not sure if that's true. If they went to trip Advisor, might be the third highest rated thing. I can't quite work out what would be the most visited terroist attractions and when it would be. The cable would be Parliament in the cable car, wouldn't it? I mean pretty much? The Begonia House. It's lovely, but it's pretty I mean I've never heard of it until a year ago. I mean it is good because it's accessible for wheelchairs and it's flat, but really number three, yeah, rather it be wettest studios in Parliament cable car bah. Well they managed to save it. Go on ze land here of course, and tip Papa Marcus. Curry sauce on your chips is huge in Ile and my friend craves it. How do you make it? My Irish friend craves it and brings back packets of it from Ireland. First meal she had when she arrived Nina and lasked she was going to the chipper and getting chips and carry sauce. The main thing I want to know is how would you make it? I know about curry, but not about curry sauce. I can't imagine how that would be something that you would make. So if you want to talk about that also tonight eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nine two nine text the other discussion so far. If there's something different you want to talk about, you might want to mention the budget, but there's a ton of room to talk tonight. There's a ton of room for you to have your say. So there might be something entirely different you want to mention, and I can handle that, So get in touch. Nine past nine. I'll get to the texts. The texts, here's what people are saying. Let me just bring these up people. My parents own child care centers. Growing up, they made me do my teaching degree. I didn't enjoy it. I left after a few years and went to another profession. Twenty years later, I own child care centers. Haha, hey mate, Chips and curry sauce. It's part of the Scottish dart. We haven't here. My wife buys packets of the stuff. We're over there, cheers Alan from the wee Red Barn. Curry chips are delicious, an absolute favorite in Ireland. Marcus curry and chips is huge den My friend craves and brings back packets of it from us, so it must come in packets. My mother Linda from Bayswaters in bed now listening to you. She's one hundred and one tomorrow. I see bitcoin is sky high again, which I'm slightly interested in. The Only thing I want to know about bitcoin is how many people have made money in bitcoin and how many people have had their bitcoin stolen and lost it. I guess there are people that make a lot of money, but until you sell it, you haven't really realized it, have you. You might have some bitcoin investment stories. I'm always kind of curious about those US government one hundred ninety eight billion dollars invested, not as much as Setoshi Nakamoto. He's got one trillion, he or she John, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 12: Oh hello Marcus. Talking about careers and following in your father's footsteps. My father was a farmer and a successful farmer. And I was sent off to boarding school and timorrow and at the end of my four years boarding, I had a very short interview with the Careers Master careers advisor, and I was, along with many other leavers, ushered into his office and he looked at me. He looked at the notes he had in front of him, and he said, now, Smith, you'll become a farmer, won't you like your father? And I said, yes, sir, and I ultimately did become a farmer. For twenty odd years, I was a square peg in a round hole. But it was a wonderful environment to bring up three sons. But when my oldest son was in his second year in high school, I'd had a guts full of farming, putting up with droughts most of the time. It was a very pleasant occupation. But I never made a lot of money, but I was able to bring up with three healthy sons. But after twenty years of farming, I went to my father and I said, Dad, I want to sell the farm. He had helped me into this farm, for which I am forever grateful for. I didn't like it, and I said, Dad, I'm going to sell the farm. And he said, I think that might be a bloody good idea, because I think for twenty odd years he hadn't propped me up financially as such. But I did get a small loan from my mother.
Speaker 2: Okay, long story short, Where did you go into and then what did your son do?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 12: Well, in many ways, I pulled the rug out from under my sons. I think they all thought they would become farmers, but they've all become very successful living in the city. The two oldest ones, sadly, the youngest one died of from natural causes. But I went, having sold the farm, floundered around for about two years doing bits of this and bits of that. I scored a job working as a civil servant in the Justice Department, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and I think the small role I had there I was reasonably good at. But I was never happier. But to anybody that is in that situation. As I was, don't hesitate. If you're not happy what you're doing, for God's sake, change direction and I think ultimately you will decide you've made the right decision.
Speaker 2: Live with it. Job. But thank you so much that Jamie Marcus good evening.
Speaker 13: Hey Mark you good.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 13: Jamie got me thinking about what you put on your chip and chicken salt is very Australian and you know you've become a alien when you go to the fish and tip shop and you ask the chicken sole on your chips. I think that should be forget. Once you do that, you should get your Australian past.
Speaker 2: It's sneaking into news. I see it sneaking into news in and maybe since you left, Jamie, But can you tell me what chicken salters.
Speaker 13: From my recent was one fishing chip shop that done it in Adelaide and then it became Australian wide. But it just makes your chips taste like But how do they buy a bag?
Speaker 2: How do they make it?
Speaker 13: I wouldn't have the clothes. They must be like chicken stuff or something. But you I worked very much as an institution.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, I'm hearing it and it's yeah, No, what's chicken salt? Could someone tell me? Thank you, Jamie, Bruce Marcus welcome.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, that was quick. Chicken salt.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 3: When I go to the local pump, they say, and when I ask for chips, they said, do you want chicken salt or do you want ordinary salt?
Speaker 2: I don't even know what chicken salders. It might be stock.
Speaker 3: No, I have no idea. But no, I rang up about big.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you something. I'll tell you something interesting. I've looted my years of talkback. Bruce, do you know what? Do you want to know?
Speaker 13: What it is?
Speaker 6: Go on?
Speaker 2: I reckon. People are always bess talking about what they've rung up about. Sometimes they the topics. Sometimes the topics we end are when they're on a hold and they feel they need to talk about and they're always terrible edits. So anyway, No.
Speaker 3: No, But but coin, I think I think I mentioned to you before that I got ripped off ten thousand dollars with bitcoin. I bought a couple of bitcoin early on I think twenty thirteen or something, and then I sent another ten thousand dollars to mount Gox in Japan and they immediately went broke.
Speaker 2: So if they do, they go broken with a hecked box exchange.
Speaker 3: I don't really understand that very complicated issue. But if they'd given me all the bitcoin that I thought i'd bought, then it would have been a couple of million. But never mind. But what I do, what I still think about bitcoin with the couple that I've still got, and as you've said, it's just gone up to I think about one hundred and eighty thousand dollars per coin. That it's the first digital scarcity. So I still think it's a good idea because people seem to be worried about this ever expansion of fear currency.
Speaker 2: And no, Bruce, is it security? You know where it is?
Speaker 3: Well, I know where mine is. I think on a thing which I keep secreted in my house.
Speaker 2: So you're not. So you've you've got all the codes and two different places and things like that. You're doing what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 3: I'm doing what I've been advised to do by people that know about this. Yeah. Absolutely, And how much is it worth? What the couple that I've got, Yes.
Speaker 2: You've got two bitcoin? Have you with four hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: Dollars which I paid, which I paid a thousand New Zealand all as long.
Speaker 2: When would you decide, Okay, this is a good time to get rid of them and liquid liquid liquid liquid ifi liquidate that asset.
Speaker 3: Well, no, my wife's still still working, so I don't need the money yet.
Speaker 11: Me.
Speaker 2: I mean, couldn't you couldn't you? Look, what does she know you've got them?
Speaker 3: Yes, of course, and she knows how to get them out when I'm dead.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, but you didn't think she could stop. She doesn't think she'll stop working.
Speaker 3: Oh, she loves her work. Well, you spoke to her about twenty years ago when she was trying to make Golden Bay the first plastic bag free town, and you said to her, it's a slow day for news. So I'm ringing you up.
Speaker 2: Did she succeed, Yeah, she succeeded. She actually that took off for the whole country. Yes, she's a visionary.
Speaker 3: Well, no, she's very precious and I hope she keeps working.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, that's she's still involved in that space, the banning the bag space.
Speaker 3: No, she's given up on that. She's making Willow Coffins brilliant.
Speaker 2: I think I would have spoken to her about Willow Coffins as well. Bruce, thank you very very much for that. Gosh. I wonder how the Winklevoss twins. I remember those the winkle Vy, the Winklevoss twins that invented Facebook and got all that money paid out. They put it all into bitcoin, like at the beginning, and they put it in two different safes, the combinations and two different continents or two different states across the world. Must be worth billions and billions by now. Sorry about the noise. I'm trying to dubb in some shoes that the leather's dry. That's not going to do with them on air tonight. I'm not sure about dubbin. Can you make your own? Someone said, I've heard Bruce's voice on the phone trying to sell AI investments. Really, Ed Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 10: Good thing, Marcus.
Speaker 7: How are you good?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 9: Ed?
Speaker 7: Marcus just wanted to talk about the different flavorings that go on chips. Yeah. I ran a fish and chip slash take it way BA for sixteen years, and when, for instance, garlic salt and chicken salt, garlic and chicken salt became big things, I found we were getting charged over and above what was actually in it. And so in the end I just started making my own and the feedback literally was very very good.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 7: It's what a lot of people don't realize is they don't actually know what's going into these products. And there was a see they recently on the packaged soups that and actually how bad they are. You know, anything pre made, you're just putting your body full of conservatives.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So my advice to anyone would be on a quiet night at home as a go making your own. You know, the same with the curry chips. It's not hard to make a thin based curry sauce and you'd be amazed how much nicer and how much better value for money you get.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've got a kind of questions for your ed. So when did chicken salt become a big thing? Like is it twenty years ago or is it how long you've been out of the game.
Speaker 7: Probably I'll be out of the game for about ten years. So it was just pretty much coming and then, and as I say, it was probably filled with lots of things that really shouldn't be putting.
Speaker 2: Who was who was promoting it, where we was it Where were you buying it from? We were buying it at the warehouse or.
Speaker 7: The wholesale is like in Wnington Safe Keevity Coast. We go to a place called more Wilson's and paces so more By.
Speaker 2: And bulk so more Wilson's. So they drove the chicken salt. There'd be big cans of chicken salt which you'd put on the chips.
Speaker 7: It were being say two two three kg packet packets of it, you know, big pastic packets, and you just added to your salt. But as I said, it's not rocket science, and it's it's fun to have a bit of experience experiment, you know, on your own.
Speaker 2: What do you reckon? Wasn't it?
Speaker 7: Well they have all those different numbers and they you know, so flavoring intnet. So as I see it, keep it simple, Stupid's probably the best thing. And when you make something your own, you know exactly what's in and what's not in. At Marcus, but.
Speaker 2: Would Chicken Sell have chicken in it?
Speaker 7: Now? It would be like you know how you see the banana flavoring it's yellow, but banana's actually white. It's the fish gets yellow, you know, So it's yeah, people don't really know.
Speaker 2: So it's just like it's just like flavor enhancers exactly.
Speaker 7: Marcus.
Speaker 2: Okay, appreciate that. Ed Evening, Mike, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 14: Hi here a you going Toime?
Speaker 8: Good?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mike, thanks for asking real good.
Speaker 9: Y.
Speaker 14: Sorry about full and son doing the same job.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 14: I'm fifty seven. My father died two months before I was born, and when I decided to leave school, I was walking through the ads, you know, written, have no idea what I wanted to do. Job advertised for a parts junior at the new Land Ford and I wouldn't believe what my mother said to me. Your dad worked there. I couldn't believe it. Neven never knew that.
Speaker 11: Wow.
Speaker 14: Two years later we did a trade certificate in parts of merchandising tame as a trade of certificate and mechanical engineering. And when my mother died about eleven years ago, going through the things, I found a trade certificate effect open mind with high father's they want it.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: That's that's quite a moving story, because it sounds like you might have heard it a feebit from him.
Speaker 14: Never met the guy, but I've been hearing a few things from him, for sure.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. So so without even knowing it or knowing your father, you became exactly what he'd done, exactly right here, and it was good and you were good at it. It was a good career.
Speaker 14: I was still good forty years and tis now a manager at a multi frenchise dealership. Yes, still me, still doing it.
Speaker 2: That's kind of old school now that you're the same company for forty years. That doesn't happen much in these days, does it.
Speaker 14: I know, not for the same company. I've been with us company about fifteen but same same in the street.
Speaker 2: Yeah, brilliant Mike. Nice to hear from you. Thank you. A lot of texts heading down the bluff to thorrow if the wister festival for a few days, what else is to do? And seeing bluff she's well, the weathers turned, the weather's turned, and I think Vanessa's sober driver for the RSA. So yeah, you gave me to her. She here a few things to say twenty away from ten oh eight hundred and eighty to Pete Marcus.
Speaker 15: Welcome, you know Marcus, I just what do you think about the budget today? This was like a bit of a two topic thing here do you reckon there was a scram will felt the lollies today? There's a quotation that Chris Sims use just I just listened to it before, so I reckon there's no lolly to give it out anyway. They gave it out too many lolies, didn't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I'm not sure how. I'm not sure how those there's all this incentive for business for buying things, right, Yeah, but I would have thought the big business where the growth is is not based on buildings and equipment. It's based on personnel. And all the personnel of left to go to Australia and they're the real businesses. I mean that the new businesses aren't your factories are the ones with it with huge numbers of people working and doing stuff around the world. Well, that's not going to help them because their major costs is keeping their best people. So yeah, I think that I think that particular, that particular thrust is slightly dated. That's my only take, but you know, we'll wait and see the figures anyway. Oyster salt not oys to salt, but chicken salt.
Speaker 6: Yeah, chicken salt.
Speaker 15: Tack and save here and New Plymouth or you to sell like drumsticks and wings and that, and they chips, you say, have stir rice and the vechies and stuff. But they used to do very well. And when you got the chips, he had a small, you know, a small or large size or meat the small, small, medium, large, and they'd three sizes there. They always said, do you want chicken your chips, and I said, I wouldn't be there or buy. I've held the chicken sold on like.
Speaker 2: A joke because they want chicken with your chips, chicken salt with your chips.
Speaker 15: You know what they made. We know what the salt's made of.
Speaker 2: Chicken salt.
Speaker 15: I just looked like before. It's called a blend of seasoning, typically including salt, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper eka and chicken stock powder blend together the.
Speaker 2: Chicken stock powder.
Speaker 15: Any good, Well, that's what I know what it is. But I always used to when they used to sell them the chip. They not do you and even know why. But I always used to get the chips put the we have the chicken salt, and I wouldn't buy them. They were so tasty and they've gone away from it. I don't know why they've done that. Peck and say they used to do. Really, I think the pack and say they're getting they want fast. They don't want to have too much people hanging around, like serving chips in that a lot of people used to buy them and they got done away with them. With that side of it. You used to be to be heated chipsy. You sweat there and you've got your chips and you got your chicken fries. You know, it's really nice. But they're not fear anymore. And I said to the people behind the counter, why have the management gone away from this? They didn't really are so they said they don't want to do it anymore. I saw fast.
Speaker 16: I'm a sooner.
Speaker 15: It's a big loss of the business going.
Speaker 2: Hang on, I zoned out, What are they gone away from chicken salt?
Speaker 15: No, they're not. They're not selling the chips anymore. They're not selling the chicken wings anymore.
Speaker 2: I see what you're saying. I reckon. Last time, I wasn't peck and say it looks like most people have just called crawled out of bead to put their bodies on to go there. They're probably not holding people around because they want to go back to bed.
Speaker 15: No, it was always poppular people always got I don't know why that they always just to run out and they stock them out with you chips. It was a it's a good little business. But it's I think I just too. I think I was maybe it's too labor content or something they're not doing anymore, and I just couldn't. They've done it for years. They to do all way of it. If I had a good business and I was doing there's something that there's money spinning to you. I don't understand how they how they do some of these things.
Speaker 17: At times, I like.
Speaker 2: I have a chat with the people behind the counters at Peck and say, oh, there's Peter Gain there you game Pete. What about those chips? Oh yeah, about those chips. Anything in the budge, anything in the budget for you Pete?
Speaker 15: Oh no, I think we're in a bit of a tight street.
Speaker 2: Anything anything for you and the budget?
Speaker 15: No, not really, I don't think. No, it's the same old, same old end of the day. They just try to save money they do.
Speaker 2: You know, I want I want to know how to affect is affecting your Kiwi Saver or anything?
Speaker 15: Not really, I don't have a kV Savery said I got your own private one sort of thing I don't like.
Speaker 2: Are you too good for are you too good for kV S?
Speaker 15: No, you say, like the government systems, they just chopping changing things all the time.
Speaker 2: And hang on, I think, but can we save it goes privately? You choose your provider?
Speaker 15: Oh you do, but yeah, but I've got one on GENISIDS I was seven years of age. That was called the natural neutral.
Speaker 2: You want to get out of that? Can we save? You be making a pecket?
Speaker 15: The government puts it's compulsory saving, so I get a bit of money when I retire. So I think he said everybody has different ways of doing things, and I think it's work there to work for me.
Speaker 13: So far.
Speaker 2: Could have worked out better with the key we saver though, Pete.
Speaker 15: Oh I could have done, I suppose. But yeah, but you don't know what the government's going to do with things. You've got your own, you've got your own control of it.
Speaker 2: I think you've got your own CONTROLLI your key, we save it to the private provider cheapest. Doubting Thomas, I don't want to disparage my callers, right, do you want to understand what people was saying? Does he not like his chips to taste like chips? Does he wants chips to taste like chicken? Because I quite like the chips. I mean very rarely when I get chips, But I'd never want my chips to taste like chicken. Otherwise I wouldn't have got chips. It's like getting your leamington to try and taste like a mango. If you wanted a mango, you get a mango. You wouldn't get a Lamington with mango salt, would you? If there's such a thing, it can't work it out. What's with mangoes too? They're delicious, aren't they? It's just strange shaped pip, Marcus, Do you want I remember the little packets of potato chips that include a little bag of salt that you opened their to yourself, Marcus. That parts guy Mike just called. He's a made of mine and a real top guy. Fantastic at his job too, But wow, he sounds quite different on the radio. Ah, great Joe hitting out a bluff to row if he was to fest for a few days. What else to see him doing? Bluff cheers bears?
Speaker 6: Not me.
Speaker 2: I think I'm doing night orienteering I don't know what I'll be doing with the Yeah, I don't know what there is to do in Bluff. It's a question I go and try the gin if you want to. People seem to like that at Ocean Beach. I saw the people went there last year, but at the festival sought you outgo to that. I mean, there's not a lot to do. Besides, it's not a come to do things. It's not Queenstown, right, It's not a come to do things. It's not a come to do thing town. That's what i'd say. I mean, there's some fantastic walks, but if you haven't got the right gear, it'll be miserable. And I'm always around the back of the whole walking. But it's you know, it's hypothermic sometimes and you'd get lost and you wouldn't find the year to tell you what's speaking of the bed, whether the teams have just come on in the Canterbury Dolphin that if it's and Sydney or Brisbane. But g get's wet there. Not often you can see the rain on TV. When you can see the rain, it means it's really raining. But man, they want to deal you cheapest creep it's where is that dan?
Speaker 6: Is that it?
Speaker 2: Okay, it'd be Sydney if it's Kennedy's hometown. Yeah, okay, shocking with her, that fighty guy. Anyway, catch you soon hitting out a bluff to ra he was to Fitt for a few days. What else to see him doing? Bluff cheers bears not me. I think I'm doing night orienteering. I don't know what I'll be doing with the Yeah, I don't know what there is to do in Bluff. It's a question. I go and try the gin if you want to. People seem to like that at Ocean Beach. I saw the people went there last year, but at the festivals sought you out go to that. I mean, there's not a lot to do. Besides, it's not a come to do things. It's not Queenstown, right, It's not a come to do things. It's not a come to do thing town, That's what I'd say. I mean, it's some fantastic walks, but if you haven't got the right gear, it'll be miserable. And I'm always around the back of the whole walking. But it's you know, it's hypothermic sometimes and you'd get lost and you wouldn't find that. You have to tell you what's speaking of the bed, whether the teams have just come on in the Canterbury Dolphin. Don't know if it's in Sydney or Brisbane, but get's wet there. Not often you can see the rain on TV. When you can see the rain, it means it's really raining. But man, they want to tell you cheap iss creep, it's where is that dan?
Speaker 6: Is that it? Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, it'd be Sydney if it's gnned Beys home town. Yeah, okay, get in touch, feel free as I say, oh eight hundred and eighty. Is this going any good? Is it tricky?
Speaker 6: Is what's?
Speaker 2: What's you want to say?
Speaker 17: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, he's right too. You go to Craig. Welcome Marcus, Marcus Craig speaking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been working down at the port there Bluff and the Maritime Museum is awesome here, and a lot of people fish off the bridge just going onto the port. It's it's a great place. It's it's an awesome place down there.
Speaker 2: Has it been good for you at the port Craig has been blowing a gale or have you left the last couple of.
Speaker 4: Days it's yeah, but but but of both, I don't think the weather's that different over the whole of the south Old really.
Speaker 2: Well, it has been. It has been a good order, but the day was bad. But I'm glad you mentioned the Maritime Museum because it's sort of out of the way and people driving through town. It's in a terrible place really, and I'm sure most people miss it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you wouldn't really know it's there. You just head towards the port and it's right there, so.
Speaker 2: And there's a there's a noise to There's an oister ship right next to it too, so you can see that and that's normally a cure. And I've got a bet it's been a few years since I'm being there, although I was helping the boy do some stuff on a project on the light dog on a lighthouse and the glass from that's in there too, so I didn't mean to go there sometimes soon. So yeah's your's your home, Craig.
Speaker 4: I'm sort of living in christ here. I do live in too Marina times as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I get.
Speaker 4: Around all the ports and I work on the shipping fratrated shipping containers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is well on fixing the containers.
Speaker 4: They regret refrigerated ones.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: We sort of get them ready to every time they get used, they have to be tested and made sure that they're good to go. They they sort of get corroded, a lot of corrosion, and of course they get dropped and smashed into. Yeah, so and of course they break the refrograted ones they break down and on the ships and all over the place of the packing points.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's quite a bit of maintenance to get them all back up and ready.
Speaker 17: Then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's pretty full on, especially the moment. You're getting really good prices for the the dairy of the beef that I think the land. So they yeah, it's all go at the moment. Yeah, bluss flat out. And I'm in Christi it's still the moment, but I'm heading down there on Sunday to work so for the week again. So yeah, it's going on.
Speaker 2: How they've got a place they put you up where you stay in town.
Speaker 4: I stayed in town. Yeah, I'm at the Owls, I think, and I think it's called the Sueborn Actually.
Speaker 2: Yep, it will be the Sue Well know that Greig. Here's an interesting bit of information, Marcus. Nineteen percent of a fuel ship is used to keep the containers refrigerated. Marcus. Pouring down at the NRL and city always raining over there, I completely agree. I'm surprised how well the pictures hold up because some of those pictures get a lot of play. But just bucketing down the dolphins ahead of the bulldogs. Of course the Crichton and everyone's away from the bulldogs because of state of origin duties. I think the hammer might not be there either, Marcus. I'd like to buy tickets to the Doors Tribute, Contint and the Cargo on Saturday night, happy to pay double the face value. Chairs. I haven't got any tickets, and I won't put you in touch anyone else Nest they're robbers. But yeah, I don't know how we can do that, Marcus. How much does it cost to transmit an emergency alert test every mobile phone nationwide as has been advertised, so we all know to expect a test to lurt the Sunday evening, Marcus. I spoke to you from City two years ago about the need for the government to increase key we savor, and you discounted my idea as not likely to happen and now it is something good has come out of the budget. Thanks today Kiwi boy John. It's going from three to four percent as the default. But I don't know that the I don't necessarily know that the employees match that, do they that I could see? Yeah, yeah, so yeah, you don't get that five hundred year. It's means tested. You don't get that money each year or something. Marcus Top Taste Chicken and chips franchise is usually in dairies further away from the main areas. They offered chicken, sald and other seasoning. I had the tenders of the chips box. That's like that country fried chicken too, which is quite good. Marcus. Net loss from the budget for me, lose the government keiw savor contribution. Looking forward to seeing my trading neighbors driving the latest highlux at twenty percent discount though. Yeah, that's what it's all going to mean a lot of utes, But I think don't think you are going to drive big business. Are they? By the way, the top miserable names in the UK? Yeah, this is quite interesting. Participants. We're giving a long list of names and asked to tick all those they believed were the most upbeat or the grumpiest. The people with the most miserable names Victor, Susan, Nigel, Karen, Mark, Jeremy, Clive, Hassan, Jeff Bryan. And the ten happiest names are not that different. Dave, Katie, Charlie, Emily, Lucy, Poppy, they all end, and why that must just give people a peppy kind of an upbeat thing, Ben, Jack, Tom and Muhammad?
Speaker 17: Do you go?
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's going to inspire any talk off you, Marcus. The best ever curry sauce is curry powder, half milk, half cream and a packet of Maggie soup mixed to thicken. What flavor Maggie soup to thicken? I'd like some recipes for curry sauce because I'm not entirely sure. I know how to make it, but never know what it is actually must be like a curry flavored gravy. I don't know whether that's true or not. But you might want to talk about that here till midnight tonight. Anything else you want to talk about too, feel free to get in touch. You might be out there doing something interesting tonight. And the other thing. Maybe someone went to one of those pub choirs I saw. The town hall was full of people that if you want to tell me a bit about that, I know people who buy a box of Japanese curry from the soup market. They love it. Haven't tried it myself, Japanese curry, if anyone knows about that, Marcus, crickets have finally shut up, ever so grateful loads of rats about peanut butter works of the trap. Janie Marcus. Sorry, Jennie Marcus.
Speaker 9: Good evening, Hi Marcus. I've just been listening to the conversation about the curry sauce. I did two seasons in South ye Cuttle was up to thirty odd Irish harvesters out here for the season harvesting, harvesting maize and grass. And their staple meal was hot chips covered with a curry sauce and the grated cheese on top. And that's their equivalent of caviat to our semon and whatever.
Speaker 2: Wow, oh, they love it, and that's a meal in itself.
Speaker 9: It's an absolute mirror in themselves. And I mean they would eat copious amounts followed by a vanilla ice cream and apple pie.
Speaker 2: So they have deep fried chips, yes.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they have deep fried chips, and while it's still very hot, with a liberal shake of plain salt, nothing fancy, you'd pour the hot curry sauce over and they liked it a bit hot, not a mild curry, a bit a bit hot. And there's just bowls of grated cheese and they sprinkle it over it. No, in heaven.
Speaker 2: Are all the food groups there.
Speaker 9: Pretty much? You know, good good work for a cardiologist.
Speaker 2: Did you did you?
Speaker 11: Were you?
Speaker 17: Jo?
Speaker 2: You don't take this the wrong way? But were you the cock?
Speaker 9: I was, okay, take it.
Speaker 2: Take it the wrong way then, because the nub of this is what was in the curry sauce.
Speaker 9: Oh yes, the curry sauce was a mixture. Again, it was you know, heart to tech material. It was a roue and then you put I put half cooking cream and half water in to try and break it down a bit and a good dash of a hot curry and just made it nice and sick. But you know, pourable, and yeah, I do so so that they'd wipe out four liters, no problem.
Speaker 2: So when you say a good curry, you just mix up curry powder? Is that what you do?
Speaker 9: A good quality curry powder? And just make sure that you get it put it in with the flour and the butter and when you're making a room, and just make sure that you cook it a while so it hasn't got that. Yeah, you've got to get a bit of flavor through it. And then I just used a good cooking cream so it wouldn't split and either you know, if there was milk from the cows, and we put milk and it's not just put some water in it.
Speaker 2: So it's flour. It's basically flour, butter, cream and curry powder.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, didn't I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Irish workers came out to do the corner the maze.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 9: Here there's a big thread of them that come out to a couple of contractors them in White Cuttle each year.
Speaker 2: And that's every meal is just the chips and.
Speaker 9: That No, that would be the evening meal. The fits that have they lived on eggs in the morning. They loved their New Zealand eggs and very easy to feed because it was just meat, potatoes, ice cream, apple sauce and curry chips. They wouldn't need anything green. I made them more. They will had sandwiches to order because most of them don't eat green. They say they're not rabbits. They wouldn't need anything green or red, but they love the red sauce I used to provide at night, so I'd have to scrape any evidence of it being tomato sauce auce the containers.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's amazing.
Speaker 9: Very interesting, not but incredibly funny, jovial, very funny, very hard working and incredibly loyal.
Speaker 2: And they would they would be they would be living and working on farms in Ireland, is that right? They do half a season there.
Speaker 9: Their idea of a farm. When May we were working sort of around Lochinvar area and we lived we all lived together, and of course I'd be up a sort of good to four in the morning to get the first lot of guys up and fed and out of the door, and then every sort of half hour after that another shift of guys would go through because they all have different tasks.
Speaker 2: Did they have chips with their eggs in the morning?
Speaker 9: No, No, I wasn't that keen on that. Some things I'm happy to do, but chips four thirty in the morning's too much for even me.
Speaker 2: Didn't seem like you manage to change many of their habits that way.
Speaker 9: Yes, yeah, but they were very happy within his young street. They loved porridge and the cream and the brown sugar, and those who didn't have porridge would often just have poached eggs on toast, and they did like the kiwi they'd been.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I very very interesting, Jenny. Thank you for that. There we go. Curry sauce. That's what's wrong with Would you gave it to me chip shops? I've never seen it much in the chip shops in New Zealand. You might have something to say about that. Get in touch, Marcus till twelve. Oh, by the way, Emily CIT's onion soup mix that she puts in her curry sauce. Get in touch, Marcus. That's me. How are you? What's happening? Anything else you want to bang on about tonight? God? I welcome that. I welcome that a lot. We didn't find out what building was on fire. And Cromwell and barries Av. I know barries Av quite well. That's why I'm curious to know about that. Anyway, jumping, if you want to talk, my name is Marcus.
Speaker 6: Welcome.
Speaker 2: The floods in Australia seem very bad. I don't know if they're progressively getting worse. So it's hard for me to get a sense of it's hard for me to find a good Australian news website to get information from. But I'll bring you the latest one I can. But if anyone's out there listening in Australia, if you can get to a phone and be good to talk to you about that. Also, now there's now a damn spill fear. I think there's always a damn spill fear in Australia. Evening, Garyet's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 7: How are you Marcus?
Speaker 2: Gary?
Speaker 18: About fifteen plus years ago I went to Bluff Boyster Festival and I met a very interesting character there. His name was Peter Arnett, and I think he came from Bluff originally, and maybe I think his mother was even alive still she lived till she was a pretty ripe old age.
Speaker 2: But I think he might be right. I think she was famously old.
Speaker 18: Yes, yes, and well a few oysters and a few few quite bears. He was a very interesting character.
Speaker 5: He really was.
Speaker 2: Yea for those that don't know, bag bad bag Dad Pete. He was the guy on the roof during the start of Golf World golf War one. Is that sort of when CNN came around, he was there with a fixed camera covering the invasion and was quite famous.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Absolutely, they were coming in incoming over. Yeah, so he had a few stories to tell. But I'm pretty sure he was a bluff boy originally a Southern Times. I think he is apprenticeship at the Southern Times. Maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't the Southern Times, and he was involved I think Vietnam. He went to there during the Vietnam War. I mean, he seemed to be a feeling, seemed to be a fairly ambitious sort of a He got an interview with Bin Laden. But yeah, I'm certain that his mother.
Speaker 18: She lived a rife all day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm absolutely I'm absolutely sure you're right about that. As far as as far as as far as a builder, I think they talk about the ar I think there's four houses on four corners that were built by his father. One of them was there the other.
Speaker 7: Three also, Oh that's great.
Speaker 2: Are you coming back to the festival this year?
Speaker 11: No, i'd like to.
Speaker 18: I live out at Rivet and I live by the sea.
Speaker 8: Are you are you?
Speaker 2: Are you at Riverton?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 18: I live out out by out on the South coast too. I know what it's like. I can feel that.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Are you actually are you right by the coast?
Speaker 18: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, so yeah, I know we live on the south you know. They said, man, it's cold today.
Speaker 6: What do we live on the coast?
Speaker 2: You can you can see the weather arriving, can't you? You can actually see it. It's amazing they got there.
Speaker 5: We go just clear.
Speaker 7: It's about it hells you.
Speaker 19: It gives you heaves a warning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's the talk. Garry Jen Marcus, Hello, mhm.
Speaker 16: Hi there Marcus, Hi Jen, Hi. My house smells of smoke. I put a couple of eggs and to boil, boil the eggs, and I forgot about them.
Speaker 14: Wow.
Speaker 16: Then I could smell smoke, and so I thought it was one of the heaters. So I was rushing around trying to see what was going on. It's quite strong.
Speaker 2: Hang on, I need to talk to you about this. Did the kittle did the did the pot boil dry?
Speaker 16: Yeah? Completely, and the eggs exploded.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to ask you a question, Jen, and you need to answer this to me honestly. Okay, No, I'm serious, this is serious.
Speaker 16: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Have you got smoke alarms? Yes, sure, I'm surprised. I'm surprised. But you took the metries out?
Speaker 16: Yeah, because they make too much noise.
Speaker 2: Jane, you can't do that.
Speaker 16: I know, I know, but I never do this, Jen. J could have died, I could have burnt the house down.
Speaker 2: Who key's about the house? So what are you going to do tomorrow?
Speaker 16: I'll stick the battery bacon.
Speaker 2: Can you get up?
Speaker 16: No, I haven't got it stuck on the wall or roof because it's too high. You can't reach it even with the broom handle. The stairs on the stairway, your.
Speaker 2: Two story house, Yeah, you don't sound like a two story person. I picked you more in a humble I picked you more in a humble workers cottage.
Speaker 6: Well, look at you, seven bedrooms for goodness, For goodness, burwell, wouldn't it.
Speaker 16: So it's an old filler.
Speaker 2: So it's the timber. So the stairwell that you put the smoke alarm on? The stairs? Yes, can the smoke get into it?
Speaker 16: Yeah, it's not unclosed. It's at the end of the longe.
Speaker 2: It's one of those one of those. It's one of those rectangular batteries, is it.
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Because it's only started beeping because it's out of battery, so you need to go and get another one.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it seems to be me burning things in the oven. It's well, it gets on the element or something.
Speaker 12: And then.
Speaker 2: You could have gone to bed and then you then you just wake up with the headlines woman dies and seven bedroom house. Yeah and flip, what will flip? Okay, so you'll do that. You'll do that tomorrow?
Speaker 15: Yees?
Speaker 16: So well, I promise, okay.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Otherwise I'll call the fieries and I'll come around to your house, Jen, and I'll put up with the ladder, because yeah, you need more than one. But let's just work what we can do. Flip. That makes it that I'm sad and sad and a little bit upset, a little bit disappointed by those Just Peter, and it's still alive. He's ninety according to wikipedie. I think so. Yes, he's got long jeans. Someone said Jenna needs to call the fiber again and they will fit the alarms for her. I presume, I presume that to be true. I wouldn't do it, but you can do that. Someone said, don't put smoke alarms in kitchen. Can get heat alarm from for kitchen, smoke alarms and beauty. I think you can put a smoke alam in the kitchen. I've seen no one say don't put a smoke alam in the kitchen, so I'm not sure if that's true advice what you're saying there. I'll put them everywhere. Get those twenty year ones, bang them up, bang them on, Phil Marcus, welcome Marcus.
Speaker 17: You've got to have smoke alarms.
Speaker 4: But I got.
Speaker 17: Packed off with mine going off all the time, and so what I did is because I don't use to up on top all the time time and also things. But as soon as I got an airfier, not only did my powerball go from two hundred and fifty months down to about one hundred and eightyon months from not heating up the oven all the time, there's the smoke alarms stopped going off all the time because the all the schemes are all encased in the air fire. Yeah, and the time each over cooking or burning anything. It was just the answer to everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, I imagine why Jed's removed the battery, not because it's going off all the time, but because the batteries expanded to beeping because that's an annoying noise, isn't it? Does that chube like a cricket? Is that right? Marcus? He's gone by the way, self terminated. I don't know what happened to him, as Juny just ambling towards the news at eleven head on midnight. What do you got people's smoke alarms is the topic? Now would you have in a kitchen? Why not? In a kitchen? And curry sauce and Kiwi Saver? Is anyone's life changed by Kiwi Saver? Anyone retired? And thanks to ki We Save, I had a fortune at the end, A lot of a lot of emails. Where do all the emails come from? Marcus? In nineteen ninety three, I worked in come Ogawa, Japanese restaurant, up market totally authentic Japanese restaurant in Sydney, three hundred year old company, amazing food, love Japanese curry Roger, Thank you Roger. Marcus Fire department came and fitted my alarms. They were removed mine from the kitchen and put them in the next room. Marcus, My tri Coronation Chicken has a curry cream, not diet food. Marcus. The two Dungey Bakery and Cafe are using a high end two rangy Tucker tek. The people are raving over it boil up pies. What's that mean? Could you send me some more information about that? Good evening, David. Welcome here you go mate, Good David.
Speaker 20: Yeah, wondered what you thought about old McGregor. He wants to be Prime Minister of Ireland.
Speaker 2: Is this a joke?
Speaker 20: No, it's dead serious mate. You know there's the he fights in the Occo cheapers creepers.
Speaker 2: Connor really.
Speaker 20: Yeah, Connor MacGregor. He's come on, there's wasn't he.
Speaker 19: You know?
Speaker 20: I was just going to say, imagine crossing the floor with him, mate.
Speaker 2: Because they've always had that very gentle guy, that gentle tiny guy. Is that because I think they're a president of prime minister, haven't they?
Speaker 3: They?
Speaker 2: Has he announced that today?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 20: He said I want to make Ireland great again. I just wondered what you're sort of mate?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, I mean I guess these days, anyone with a better profile, you know, Yeah, Okay, are their elections coming up?
Speaker 11: Do you think there must be?
Speaker 20: Yeah? You know he's you said there's far too many foreigners in the country. Can they causing the housing problem?
Speaker 2: That's rich coming from the is are the Irish that have spread everywhere that they can when the diaspora, they're spread all around the world, and now they can plain about too many other Well that's rich.
Speaker 20: Yeah, you potato fam and mate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honestly, the potato when you look at the numbers of people that died in their potato fam and it was I mean it destroyed the country. I think there's still less people in Ireland now than there was before the famine.
Speaker 20: I think that Are they less in New Zealand?
Speaker 17: Are they?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think they're about four or they might be six. But yeah, it depends if you're talking about Northern Ireland as well.
Speaker 20: I think, oh okay, yeah. Now I'm Irish descent myself, but you know, I always sort of when I met them. They're always looking for a.
Speaker 2: Fight, the fighting Irish. David, thanks for that five point three million Republic of Ireland. There we go. They're pretty much like us. More trains though. Someone says Radio and New Zealand had sect of their budget relecated elsewhere. Ouch. Yeah, that's terrible because they've said to them that they they'll get the money back when they improve the ratings, Well, how are they going to improve the ratings without the finances? It was a mad thing to have said. There, muld be furious because you're not going to employ the staff. You have to pay them. So I can't quite work out about that, but yeah, that was one of the They just had to be mean spirited that cut. I thought, think it's pretty important of a public broadcaster. Avering Scott Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 11: Hello Marcus, how are you tonight?
Speaker 2: Good? Thank you Scott, good to hear.
Speaker 11: The reason I'm calling is I had a bit of a weird situation tonight encountering or getting the information and from the covernment to me about the budget. Yes, yeah, so I'm online, specifically on YouTube and they streamed it from stuff, but you can't comment underneath stuff, so I've actually I called Parliament and spoke to a nice guy called Ethan, who apparently is at the front desk. I assume he's like, you know, if you had look at the front doors of all the stairs up to Parliament, he's somewhere in that hallowed ground. He got annoyed at me in fair enough, so I called another number. I just looked on New Zealand's website. If you've got an issue called this number kind of thing. And I thought we woke up some poor lady. Who she was. She tried to hide the fact that I'd woken her up, but I had, and she was trying to be so polite.
Speaker 2: What was what was her job?
Speaker 8: Where?
Speaker 2: Where did you find her?
Speaker 11: Services? Something?
Speaker 3: Services services?
Speaker 11: Yeah, and so yeah, I posted off someone else and it's like, okay, sorry, I just want to comment on YouTube, And so I ended up contacting another place and I'm not sure who they were actually, to be fair, they hung up on me for a while. But you still can't comment on the video of the well, I guess on YouTube it goes out to a lot of people. One would think.
Speaker 6: That we do.
Speaker 2: So who's who's posted the Is it the budget speech?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 11: Posted by stuff stuff News. So I did contact stuff News but got no dice there those guys apparently going to sleep at five in the afternoon. But yeah, uh in So it's just like, man, I just want to have my little five cents worth and apparently I'm having it with you now.
Speaker 2: So why did you want to comment on that?
Speaker 11: Quite a few reasons, to be to be fair, makers for any whom I say is going to put off someone.
Speaker 2: So I'll say, but what are you can do you want? I mean, surely if you're opposite with the government, right, yes, you would contact your local MP. Yes, have you thought of that?
Speaker 11: It'ssolutely and.
Speaker 3: Tried.
Speaker 2: You just don'tant to be involved with the dumpster fire that is the comment section on a stuff website, because that's not good.
Speaker 11: You've got to realize, Marcus, that a dumpster fire has its own effect. So it's one thing to comment to your MP who is disenfranchised and quite frankly lackadaisical. So yeah, you kind of have to hear the dumpster fire.
Speaker 2: But they're just they're just they're just extreme people with nothing better to do with extreme. Why don't you is your MP lexadaisical? H who's your MP?
Speaker 3: Pington pattern?
Speaker 11: I've got a few MP's in Wellington?
Speaker 2: Are you delivered a couple of places?
Speaker 17: To be fair?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, so you don't you don't live, you don't, you don't that you don't.
Speaker 11: It's not about it's not about one particular MP. It's about all the MPs. Is it fair to say that to say one m P is Lea Adasacal is unfair to say all of them are, because that's how the parliament. Parliament's working, isn't it. All of those people are like but I'm not doing with things.
Speaker 2: You're just a stir.
Speaker 11: I'm not a stir.
Speaker 19: You are.
Speaker 2: No. No, you've you've waken up someone, right, and you won't even really you won't even bother to find who your own MP is.
Speaker 11: No, my own issue. It all started. I just wanted to comment on YouTube, and my point it goes back to it. My point is do you know who?
Speaker 2: Do you know who your MP is?
Speaker 11: Which MP? Does it matter?
Speaker 2: The That's how the size.
Speaker 11: Of our country Marcus, it really doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: But you want to comment on some YouTube's chet stream.
Speaker 11: No, I want to comment on the budget, Marcus, not the ship stream. No, I see some posted by staff on YouTube. That was my point.
Speaker 2: You need a hobby.
Speaker 11: No, I just need to comment on YouTube.
Speaker 2: You can't because comments because comments are closed.
Speaker 11: But stuff you know how YouTube works, right?
Speaker 2: Stuff are stuff? Aren't you know? Stuff don't belong to the government. Stuff are just an independent organization. They can do what they like with their comments sections if they close them downtown.
Speaker 11: Look on YouTube and look at New Zealand budget twenty twenty five in telling how many hits you get? Why, because that's the point, there's only one.
Speaker 2: So you're happy with the budget.
Speaker 11: Well i'd like to comment on it.
Speaker 2: We'll ring your MP and I.
Speaker 11: Can't on YouTube. That's my point. I can't can't comment on YouTube through a portal which is stuff the information which was provided to by the government and there's only one means.
Speaker 2: So what did your so what did you're in parliament?
Speaker 17: Well?
Speaker 11: I wanted to ask someone why in to success?
Speaker 2: But there's nothing to do with stuff.
Speaker 11: That's what parliament does, isn't it that that's our elected representatives that we put you there.
Speaker 2: But you don't want to. You don't want to. You don't want to talk to elected represent if you don't even know who elected represented.
Speaker 11: Is doesn't matter. Yeah, it is so long as they can.
Speaker 2: Do you do because your because your rank parliament to wake someone up, but you won't even contact your local MP. You can email.
Speaker 11: By point wise the intimation that I want appear that is coming through a suiting to portal that I would like to comment on, which most can.
Speaker 2: We can't on the budget, but let's not do it's let's not do a democracy. There'll be alsort of other avenues. Have you been to the stuff website? Have you been to the website? Have you been to the website?
Speaker 11: Have you tried looking at the twenty twenty five New Zealand budget on YouTube?
Speaker 2: But there's other but you look at it. Most things are happening, I do.
Speaker 11: Most things are all sorts of stuff.
Speaker 2: Most things aren't happening on YouTube. If you want to get to a comment, to get on the Facebook, there'll be some stuff probably posting articles that you can comment on.
Speaker 11: Why but why can't I comment on something that I think is prevalent to the place that I live in, which is in New Zealand, and it's the budget.
Speaker 2: You can ring your MP, which I did. No, you didn't bring your MP because you don't know who your MP is, because you said you live in a number of electorates.
Speaker 11: No, co I call the government and I succeeded.
Speaker 2: I would like to say, well with Ethan, I think ethan's the government. I think Ethan. Some of that's.
Speaker 11: Ethan was awesome. Ethan was awesome. It was the lady who didn't.
Speaker 2: Hang up on you?
Speaker 11: No, well no he did eventually he was very accommodation.
Speaker 2: Underneathan myself. Dan's been on YouTube and there are a lot of videos of the budget on YouTube. The stuff ones you can't comment on, but the Southern says v I tech stuff don't allow comments on anything they post anywhere on social media Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, the sky's a problem with them. They'd ring stuff. But the interesting thing about that guy had a problem with the problem. We never found out what was problem with the budget was. And they walk amongst us but jeepers. I think they just enjoy having a problem. I don't know who you can ring and wake up though, that's pretty interesting. Whoever? Landline Marcus National defunding RNZ is the same thing that Trump is doing to the Associated Press of the States. Cedric thank' edric carbon monoxide alarms are a thing too, or keep it simple. Marcus and twenty twenty Stuff see still actively on Facebook and Instagram, including suspending their Facebook pages Instagram accounts. This decision was part of an experiment to assess the impact of their website traffic and public trust. The movefoard of previous decisis stop paid every time on Facebook. After the christ Church Musk shootings. Thank you. Wow that guy though, gee, I stidn't know what's problem with the budget was they loved YouTube, didn't he I like this text. This is the text of the night, Marcus. The big already is that guy who disliked the budget had a huge potential audience on heir to hear his opinion, but it explicably didn't give it.
Speaker 11: Wow.
Speaker 2: Marcus has got a foresting whish in the car and the motor home. Years ago, had the opportiony to use a car one when the engine caught fire, pulled over the side of the road whilst others drove by watching. Kind of good fun, but it wasn't. I read the Fire Service are actively encouraging scrapmetal places who have major fires on site caused by lithium batteries to have two excess points. One is an emergency entrance into the yards and a management plan for storing lithium batteries which are growing into a bigger problem of how disposed of them, just like tires, Marcus, I understand a heat sensor alarm is triggered. I heat, not smoke. They are really available from the likes of min to ten and Bunnings. Yeah, but the far would be well involved when there'd be heat, wouldn't they.
Speaker 14: All?
Speaker 2: Will the smoke have heat and set them off. I kind of want to be warned as early as possible. That's just my take. Our Key we savor. I found quite interesting how many years has Key we Save have been going. I got a very good text from someone I read about the compulsory savings in Australia, which they really need because I'm so much more money for infrastructure. I think it's gone from eight percent to twelve percent. We're not even close, so yeah, we're only just starting with our Key we Save. It needs to be a lot more so. The whole labor government scheme that Muldoon put the kibosh on that would have made us had billions and billions of dollars by now right, Nope, there was some weird reason to get rid of that and they still haven't learned. But oh well, lest they've done the good thing of raising up to four percent over two years. I think that it needs to be a lot higher than that I would have mentioned. But yeah, it's the cost of living crisis as well, so people PEPs having got that extra one percent of savings Marcus, that bloke who had issues with the budget. Sounded like a skit out of Faulty Towers. Also Curry Cheese, Cheos, Devil Burgers, and Queenstown. A local favorite might be Cheero's. Is it good evening? Esh, it's Marcus welcome you know Marke?
Speaker 19: How are you mate?
Speaker 20: Good?
Speaker 2: Ash all good, all good good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 19: I recall all doing canceled the Supers game because he thought it was a New Zealand has owned all of New Zealand. There would be like communism, yeah, you know the dancing class XI that was molding Was it.
Speaker 2: But a fear and misinformation to win an election? I've heard that before.
Speaker 19: Yeah, yeah, my mates growing up muddy. But as old Man was in charge of the dec he used to go visit Mouldering, you know, for obvious reasons in the head and he said, you go seem at ten in the morning and he's already slothed on Vodga.
Speaker 2: Couldn't believe it was that his drink, Yeah, Vodgar apparently, yet he thought that he was down on the dancing down on the Soviet Okay he drinks okay, fair enough, okay.
Speaker 19: Iron okay, Yeah, I can't quite.
Speaker 2: Work out what the irony is. But yeah, that he's drinking a Russian drink and he's got the Russian fear. But oh well, yeah he was.
Speaker 19: He was a peculiar guy. Molder he said he was.
Speaker 2: But there was a likability. There was a likability about him that I don't think the present guy's got. There was a sort of a yeah anyway, yeah he's.
Speaker 19: Got a Trump like what that nearly Trump's gone? Like just every man's man.
Speaker 2: You know what else? Was the other thing you wanted to mention?
Speaker 19: Esh? I mean fast, too much time on my hands. I've been recovering from a hospital stay with deep vein throun poses from the lower left leg and six pmentor eblisms in the right run. I'm coming right now, finally getting treated for it.
Speaker 2: But for years, that's what we want to hear.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 19: Yeah, it resolved from an overseas trip to row Tima a night tacky. But the other thing is what.
Speaker 2: Happened, what happened to Turkey that caused that.
Speaker 19: It's the amount of hours, and we worked out I spent twelve hours at altitude going there and back, and they said seven or eight would be enough.
Speaker 3: To do it.
Speaker 2: So you had a pre existing condition. Okay, yep, yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 19: It's just a good thing in a way because I'm finally getting treated for it, so starting I'm on the end.
Speaker 2: It's a great thing.
Speaker 19: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's really you know, like I'll be on the couch just to be wanting me to know the lawns, and I'd be like, oh, I go know the lines, and then I just had to just be absolutely naked.
Speaker 2: What videos you been watching, mh.
Speaker 19: I've been watching UFO stuff. A guy, a guy called Major George Filer on the Professor Fire.
Speaker 5: Yep, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: George Filer, Yeah, of course he is.
Speaker 19: He worked on the He was a super tanker fire for the nuclear nuclear aircraft. He used to be the tanker guy, so he had nuclear clearance and all that sort of stuff, but he needed a higher clearance to work on the UFO desk. That was cosmic. I think they got a cosmic clearance. And he said, what was surprised a lot of people is how many civilians were involved in it, and they were actually higher ranking than the generals, Like third star generals would allowed access to the info. He had to be a four star general. So and if you had a civilian on the desk working on it, that's three. Stay General, come along, says, I want to hope about this. What's going on? He said, sorry, I need to know, can't tell them.
Speaker 2: And what was the upshot from him about the UFOs.
Speaker 19: They've got a few and he reckons, he said, personal contact with I think it was Nordics and the platt Eas or something. And these blue beings which are about sort of seven to nine ft tall. But he said, the the the Nords, they called them intruders because they could come into the Child to come to Earth and they walk around and you wouldn't even know that they weren't human, you know, and that really bothered the generals because they, as they said, they could bowl into shape headquarters and nobody being whither. The only the only thing, he said, this sort of bit of a way for them, was they were slightly too good looking, if that makes sense. The fit tall, I know that's the blue blue beings from some the same area. Yeah, but then auduts, he said, are just well, just like humans, but just very good looking humans.
Speaker 2: Where do people find this?
Speaker 19: If you go to the backyard, professor, he's spacing the States. He's really got. He's a mathematician and so he's levelheaded kind of guy. And he said, even even he's been struck with all the woo woo sort of stuff around it, and he said, I just I can't get mad around it. And he said, but these are guys that are veterans and a sort of getting near the end of their lives, so they've got nothing to lose, and they're saying, well, this is what went down. He wouldn't have a clue.
Speaker 2: And there is this on YouTube.
Speaker 19: Yeah, on YouTube, yeah, a lot of them.
Speaker 2: Is there a comment section? Could you make comments?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 19: Yeah, yeah, you can all of them.
Speaker 2: That might be good for Scott too, because he gets triggered if he can't make comments. What's it called the backyard professor? Okay, Ash, good on you. We'll leave it there. Brilliant by the way. The Rugby League has just finished with the most surprising result of the round. Well though it's the first match of the round, but the Bulldogs, who are top of the ladder, have been beaten by the Dolphins forty four to eight. Forty four to eight. That's been a shellacking. Admittedly, their best players are away for State of origin Stephen Crichton and a couple of the others had a couple have come from behind wins the last two matches, led by Crichton. But that's a threshing anyway, that's happened forty four to eight. And the weather is appalling in Sydney, although one of the commentators said there'll be no can sport this weekend and the other commentator I said, that's right, three drops of rain and that's canceled, which was weird. It was one of the great downpolls of all time. So anyway, get in touch. My name is Marcus. Welcome, how you're going people eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nine text, feel free to get involved if you want to talk about anything on fire as thing Wish were also talking about tonight, John Good evening, Welcome.
Speaker 8: Yes, so I can quick call a John R. So I have rang you before. Thank you six languages. I actually have three five s. I keep on the car because I have come across cars on fire and that's a very useful spell to help someone immediately. And secondly I have one on the bedroom un right on the kitchen, and I also have to call a fire banker. I don't know what you have heard of that we have it to hang hanging up in the pantry and it's a great extreme if so you get have filed the story of just you down and extinguished the flame.
Speaker 11: Of fire.
Speaker 8: So I think in the homeless squad. But of course prevention is the key thing. Some one one thing puses the is the the batteries, the small batteries that we have. I heard the other day that you can dispose of a Bunnings freely, so it's useful for people.
Speaker 2: Well, could you dispose of the blankets or.
Speaker 8: You know there were small round batteries. Yeah, yeah, they could be damaged. We have our stores outside of the little container. We don't have the neck head in the house in case they catch fire.
Speaker 2: What's stored outside?
Speaker 8: The small batteries we have you know the little little round batteries.
Speaker 2: Don't have to be stored outside.
Speaker 8: Now well, well, I think if they catch fire, there was much leisure if they kept outside. Some of the other they said that they wrap them up. What I do, I wrapped in paper so that don't have direct contact with each other and just sort outside until I can take them to Budings.
Speaker 2: They're the old batteries though, well, they wouldn't have much go on them, would they, Well.
Speaker 8: No, but frequently they should be having fires and rubbish trucks. Now are they presumably old batteries if they throw that, they would new batteries, would they?
Speaker 2: How long do you foresting? Which is last before you've got to get the rejected?
Speaker 8: I believe you should do it once a year. You can't waive them if I started losing the eight that recharging so once a year probably to be on the south side.
Speaker 2: You mean your your forestings need recharging once a year?
Speaker 6: Well, right?
Speaker 8: Thereat checking takes the viire Social or a company that the checks them. They'll check them for you. But as I need refilling that they'll fix them for you once a once a year. I would say, what I believe it's.
Speaker 2: A lot of fairfor around how much How much is the cost of that?
Speaker 8: I have haven't had it done and don't know for sure sure, but uh a lot cheaper than a new one. But the fire the fire I found the goes of fire station very useful for a lot of these things. And they have got advice about you know, how they have to do things. So they would say you know, but I can't close it off hands.
Speaker 2: How many smoke alarms have you got?
Speaker 8: I've got eight, one in every room, every room because we've got a very large house. But so yes, it's every room. Is sort of a hassle, but that's essential. Of course needs to be checked frequently.
Speaker 2: But do you go around and test all eight of them?
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, yes, usually with the with the with the we change the times they say there was that the six month feet check. The need to go around. It's not that difficult. I have run that I can bring them down on does have the tribe of the ladder like we sometimes on the ceiling hard to get out, but I have I tied to a pole. I could beat the pole down and checked where they put the pole up there the ceiling it came. So that's that's the way. As key thing about fire prevention is what people's frequently are reward about, not overloading what's heaters on gospball power points and keeping fire away from ses. That's what they never leave it, never leave any big body coming on the stove without philosophic had to go out or it's the fun door because there's a frequent cause.
Speaker 2: What have you rung before about John. You've quite got a lot of information.
Speaker 8: I wrote. I wrote about the cadenced walk about two or three years ago when I was traveling in Africa. It was a subject of the diet and I so much enjoyed that when I was about eight years old. That's something I can't what they was brilliant.
Speaker 2: Well, if you're on about condensed book, you're always welcome for me. Thank you so much. Almost time for me to go people. I'm trying to read again about the curry divide in the UK. Half the country has tomato sauce on chips, the other has curry sauce, which is a new thing to me. It's a clear divide between the South and North on sauce. So there we go. I thought there was interesting. Some of you expet will find that of interest. Exclusive data reveals that every region survey identified a clear relative majority preference with a kitchup or curry sauce. Across the North, between thirty nine and forty six percent of codscoff has said they have their dinner with curry sauce. Well, in the South between nine say they have kitchup, which I find slightly confusing, but the ego Northern is like scraps, the crunchy left over better on the side. Well, I don't think scraps are good for you, wouldn't we having the scraps it was terrible and the fish and chip shops would just sell you all that bits of the fried, bits of just better or oh well, what were heard to night about for a while of potato fritters. Really, it's one of the great things of all time, isn't it. I guess there's still a thing, are they when you say that two minutes before the end of the show. Gosh, you could have got thro a whole night of people talking about that.
Speaker 1: For more from Mica Slash Nights, listen live to News Talk sa'd be from eight pm weekdays, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.