Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks ed B. Follow this and our Wide Ranger podcasts now on iHeartRadio, Straight down the Middle.
Speaker 2: Try.
Speaker 1: Get inside the game from every end goal. It's Rugby Direct with Elliot Smith and Leam Nabier powered by News Talks EDB.
Speaker 2: Welcome into Rugby Direct powered by Habit Health Physio book today and stay in the game. You thought we were gone, we are not. We're back. Just the one rugby director this week Elliott Smith with me Leam Napier, New Zealand Rugby and New Zealand Here were Rugby writer and correspondent joins me on the pod. Nape's good to catch up again, even if it's just the once this.
Speaker 3: Week it is of miss Elliots. But no, you need a bit of time to recoup. So here we are, but later in the week to reconvene and cast the heads to see what's coming this weekend.
Speaker 2: Indeed, indeed, yes, I was away at a wedding of a good friends over the weekend and didn't see a great deal of Rugby live. To be honest, I've caught up with it a little bit from it. But broad strokes why is what stood out from you from the weekend. Caine's a pretty scratchy win over the Western Force. Couldn't really get going in that game. The Crusaders beat the Highlanders and a pretty ill disciplined performance, but they came from behind to do so. Blue is pretty good against Mwana Pacific. Anything really stand out from last weekend's Round five of Super Rugby for you, Limb.
Speaker 3: I think it's a bit of a continuation large of what we see have seen thus far Aliots, and that the competition does really feel wide open. I don't know whether you could right now pinpoint a favorite. I don't think I could. I think there's a number of teams that have proven they can beat each other on any given day. I think the New Zealand superiority is potentially coming to the four that we've seen in other years. It's a big weekend for the Australian teams. I think this weekend coming to lay down a bit of a marker. We're starting to see a bit of rotation coming and some of that bite team so. I think the Hurricanes were very scratchy because of some of that rotation. The Brumbies were caught out in Fiji and the Reds are rotating again this week, so I worry about them in Fiji, and we've seen the Hurricanes lose over there, so it's interesting that teams are choosing that game to rest some of their front line players. But look on the whole, the competition certainly feels open. I feel like the Crusaders had probably underwhelmed to this point other than that performance against the Chiefs. Yellow card Is Shoes got a bit of a rookie at ten this week. What do you know about him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that he played I think once for the Auckland to Atara baseball game boat baseball team before that folded a bit of a baseball prodigy from down I believe Nelson Way and then once that sort of pathway closed to New Zealand and I had a sight set on playing Major League baseball, set his sights on playing rugby union instead and has made a good fist of it. Played for Tasman last year. But they're down to their fourth string number ten with Nokemrada again this week, with his Rayhanna out and with injured with concussion and James White gone for the season with concussion. You know they're battling to find fifteen's have gone to the wider training group. But this presents a pretty big opportunity for the young man. You know, probably didn't think he was going to get much super rugby time, if any, this year, and now all of a sudden he's starting in round six and with a little bit of a chance to make a name for himself. He played at North Harbor Stadium. I think with the tuatara, now he's going to return and be holding a rugby ball in his hand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, something of a homecoming in a roundabout way.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I guess we saw last year what can happen when opportunity knocks. Rayhanna wasn't an unknown character but certainly hadn't stamped his market on that level and came through and made a bit of a name for himself at the back end of the year for the Crusaders.
Speaker 4: So another big opportunity there.
Speaker 3: And we're seeing I guess potentially the lack of depth for New Zealand tens or the stockpiling of tens in some cases with the Highlanders digging deep into their ranks as well.
Speaker 4: And I think it's a big week for Ruben Love. You know, this is a guy that's been much hyped.
Speaker 3: He's a bit of a prodigy, great sporting talents cricket, rugby, but we haven't seen enough of them in recent times. And finally he's in the number ten jersey for the Hurricanes, so I would like to see a big performance out of him this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how much of a chance to lay down a bit of a marker. I know we've we've touched on it a fair bit since Dave Rennie was appointed, and he's talked about not having any loyalties, but he hasn't played a lot of ten Ruben Love. He's been anointed, as you know, maybe the next in line. But this is a big opportunity, I think, assuming he gets a real run at the ten usy to stake a claim and show that you know, he is capable of playing ten beyond super rugby level and higher honors rather than just being pigeonholed into maybe a fullback at Test level.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he does have that versatility, doesn't he?
Speaker 3: But I think it does help to have a preferred position to have time in that pososition, particularly when it comes to ten.
Speaker 4: You need time in the settle, you need to be able to.
Speaker 3: Hone your craft from a tactical point of view as much as anything else, been able to control the game, and we just haven't seen enough of Ruben Love to know whether he can do that on a consistent basis. So I think this is a big week for him. It's the Hurricane's strongest squad that they put out so far this year. They've got to see Carefi on the bench, which speaks to their depth certainly in the loose boards. So Ruben Love, you know, down the pecking order somewhat when you look at Richie Muwonga coming back and Josh Jacob having been on the Blacks fifteen tour actually had time at number ten, but I don't think he's really stamped his authority this year. And now Damien McKenzie's back. How many opportunities will Josh Jaken get at ten for the Chiefs. So it's a big season for Reuben Love, as you mentioned, with Dave Rennie coming in, because he's certainly no guarantee of featuring anymore.
Speaker 4: For the All Black sent he did last year at this point.
Speaker 2: No, he's not, so I think he's got to stake acclaim and interesting to the hinders. With Richard passitoa at ten who has impressed me in glimpses this year, but another barrel starting at ten altogether, they welcome Hugh Renton back into the mix. Caleb Tunguy Tower and the glimpses I saw of that game against the Crusaders going from strength to strength in the outside channels. You know, I'm not sure. I'm not completely sold on him just being as a Test football at Test wing the way that Test rugby is being played at the moment, but you can't deny that he's got that gift of absolute speed and we saw it again come to the Fall last week, and he'll get another opportunity against that Hurri Canees back three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 3: We need to probably see the full package from Caleb, particularly on defense and under the high ball, but there's no doubt in his finishing prowess is out and outpace on the edge. He's a lethal weapon. And I think I'm sure we'll touch on it a bit later in regards to the Six Nations and how that tournament involved, but we are starting to see Attack finally overcome the rush defense and have a lot more success at breaking that down and creating space on the art side getting the ball to the wingers, and someone like a Caleb Tongueytowel is really well placed to utilize that space with his blistering speed.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the Chiefs welcome back Luke Jacobson, but going under the radar a little bit is another excuse me. Injury to Wallace, to Titi, the hamstring proving troublesome ones again. He missed the start of Super Rugby with a hamstring injury. He missed them more on a game before the buy with a hamstring Injury's out now for a few more weeks potentially with his hamstring injury. You know, he's had a few injuries since he's boost onto the scene and another frustrating one for Wallace a TD. How much of a blow do you think that is for the Chiefs as they go to Canberra and play against a team you know, writing a little bit of an emotional high with James Slipper breaking the Super Rugby record.
Speaker 3: Yeah, James Slipper, it feels like he's been around for as long as you and I earlier. Yeah, look it little bit of a blow for Wallace because I think we saw last year he's a guy that needs consistent game time. I think that's the case with most rugby players. But it wasn't a vintage year. We probably only saw the best of them in the final game of the year in Cardiff. And look, it's a long season, but the loose forwards are stacked and we are seeing some real early season form from some of those guys on the fringe, like a Devin Flanders is playing great rugby for the Hurricanes. He's having real success on the game line, heavily involved on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 4: So you hope Wallace.
Speaker 3: Can have a bit of an injury free run because look, I think he's a.
Speaker 4: Prodigious talent, isn't he.
Speaker 3: There's no denying that he was breakout player of the year, All Blacks Player of the Year a year and a half two years ago now. But needs to stay on the park and the Chiefs will be desperate to get him back. It's always a tough trip to Canberra, but McKenzie back at ten, Luke Jacobson returning, as you say, I'm backing them to go over there and sneak that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they will. We'll get into some tipping a little bit later on in the podcast. Blues with an interesting one Peyton spencer name that's been around the Traps for a few years now. Played a bit of sevens obviously, sign of Carlos finally gets an opportunity off the bench against the Wartar is fascinated to see how he goes. The Wartars have slipped off the pace a little bit in the last few weeks, but I still have a feeling that they might be able to give the Blues a little bit of a tickle up in this game. Potentially, you think back to some of the meetings that they've had in the past. The Blues won comfortably last year, but I think it was the year before that they could only scrape past the war Tars in a close one. So I'm interested in You know, this is a big game for both teams.
Speaker 4: It is indeed.
Speaker 3: Look, I think the Warritars had their bubble burst a couple of weeks ago by the Hurricanes. But these two teams have some similarities. Both have big forward packs, both like to dominate the physical exchanges and be direct. I think the Blues have been more adventurous this year, have used the ball a lot more. I think we've seen that in the ball and the form that was seen from Caleb Clark and Cody Vai. He's been a real big movers, taking a real claim for that right wing spots. The Blues I think have named a very strong team Zarne Sullivan back, Peter r Key back. I think they've recalled Finley Christie after an injury there. So look, I think the Blues are starting to find some form. I'm not totally convinced by where they are at, but that's I'm starting to build a bit of momentum, so I'll back them to go over to Sydney. But I think it is a really big weekend for the Australian teams. If the Chiefs go over and win in Camera, if the Blues go over and win in Sydney, and if the Reds, who have rested I think Carter Gordon and maybe even Fraser mcwright's struggle in Fiji, it's starting to look like a bit of an early season hole for some of those Australian teams.
Speaker 2: It is indeed same old story. Potentially I will get in some tipping at the ends of the podcast. Let's wrap up the Six Nations, Liam and what a compelling finish to the Six Nations. It was Sunday morning, nine am New Zealand time a penalty goal after the siren to win the game, but win the championship. This was a quite incredible game of rugby union. I was delighted that I woke up, rubbed the sleep out of my eye the night after a wedding and you know, recuperated from being on the dance laugh a little bit too much, and was entertained by potentially one of the greatest test matches of all time. What did you make of it?
Speaker 3: Well, if you look at the Six Nations as a whole, Elliott, there were so many narratives that changed.
Speaker 4: Dramatically week to week.
Speaker 3: You know, if you think about us talking about not just us but ever on Gregor Town's been on thin nice islands, hitting the wall. England's were going to go and potentially win the tournaments. France lost to Edinburgh, everyone bet everyone Italy giant killing and then losing to Wales and then that dramatic finish on the final day. It is brilliant the way they set it up, with all the teams playing one after the other. You couldn't ask for anything more from that tournament. It's been talked about as the greatest Six Nations in history, and I think the brand of rugby that was played its brilliant. It's a great advertisement for the sport and hopefully we see more of that from the Northern Hemissea Hemisphere and hopefully they get on board with that captivating style of rugby. You know, you can talk about defenses optional and what have you, but from an entertainment perspective, it was magic, wasn't it. And that final Test France and England's just so many.
Speaker 4: Ebbs and flows.
Speaker 3: Henry Pollock hero to villain, was a Oli chessham with the intercept and he's gone and put it in the corner in England lose because of the sideline conversion and just so many narratives weren't there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what was sixteen lead changes in the end thirty eight to twenty seven. France led not long after halftime and you thought, kay, well they'll kick on here and maybe even you know, reach fifty. But for England to come back and then throw it away, it had everything that game. Yeah, it's a wonderful advertisement for test rugby, but also the Six Nations and France probably worthy winners in the end, so obviously they had lost to Scotland the week prior, but over the course of the competition, opening against Ireland and a very good performance with the win there and then wrapping it up with the balls they had to through Ramos to kick that penalty right at the end. It had everything and I thought, you're just a compelling advertisement for rugby and you hope that more Test matches are like that. What do you think it means though, for the way that Test matches might be played for the rest of the year. Is that just a one off or maybe you know, some of these rule changes that we've seen over the last twenty four months, etc. Are beginning to take effects now, you know, across the globe.
Speaker 3: I think we are starting to see that. And look, you look at England and when they're capable of that style of rugby. I know they lost, but a where's that been for most of that tournament in terms of the attacking endeavor, because they've been so bland and boring and conservative. So it was great to see them chance their arm and have a real crack. But I do think we are starting to see the quest eat up the game and promotes attacking rugby come into it and hopefully. I think some of the rule changes and super Rugby have laid the platform for that. I think there's still more that we can do to go down that path. And that's not so I hate this chat about depowering scrums or getting rid of the scrums or going away from what works for South Africa or France. Rugby needs to realize it's an entertainment product and that doesn't mean they can't be contrasting styles. But I think from my perspective anyway, everyone needs to get on board and welcome these rules that promotes ball and play up tempo attacking rugby because ultimately that's what's going to bring more eyeballs to the sport.
Speaker 2: I think so too, and hopefully this is, as you said, the way things to come. And I thought the way that England attacks was clearly something that France hadn't expected. Sean Edwards interviewed after the game. Obviously he's one number of six nations now, but it felt like the chaos that England are throwing around was something that France hadn't prepared for and didn't look within their abilities to adapt to the way that they were playing. I thought really smart rugby from England, but can they do it every week? It's going to be the fascinating thing. And with the Nation's championship not too far away, you know, Steve Borthwick will keep his job from you know what we're hearing from our friends up north, you know, at least through July. But if that July campaign goes pear shape, then it could be all on again. So as we touched on at the start, there's so many little we narratives that have you know, come out of the you know, the blocks over the tours over the course of the six Nations, but then if had to go out of the back into the box over the course of the six Nations as well. But it doesn't mean that they're completely you know, off the table. You feel like there could be more to come in those regards as well. Speaking of more to come, we're on Earth of the All Blacks assistant coaches at Liam.
Speaker 4: Good question, Eliot.
Speaker 3: It was it was all signposted to happen this week, but contracts take a while to get drawn up and people take a while to agree to terms and to shake everything down. I'm hearing that Phil Healley and Neil Barnes close to signing or have signs. But and I think we'll see Tanumager in that mix as well, which has been pretty well signposted. But I think it's I'm here and it's pretty touch and go with Mike Bleir. So it's going to be very interesting to see whether all blacks land from an attacking portfolio perspective.
Speaker 2: So he may not get across the line and they may retain Scott Hansen, is what you're hearing.
Speaker 4: Potentially. I'm not definitive.
Speaker 3: Either way, but I think at this point that sounds like that'll be the last one to be finalized, and there's certainly no guarantees that Mike Blear will be involved.
Speaker 2: We touched on this a little bit last week. It's not a pay issue, is it that New Zealand Rugby are worried about. It's the fact was that Scott Hansen was well reviewed at last year's inter view Sewer from what we understand, from what you understand, and there's a sense that maybe keeping him there is better than you know, throwing the entire baby out with the bath order.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it depends on you talk to Elliott's. Some people say he reviewed well, and then I've heard stories of other players and certain people involved in that group who weren't a fan of certain aspects of Scott Hansen's coaching. He is on a four year contract on a rugby adamant that that is a non factor, that money is not part of the equation, but I think that's certainly he's on rugby pushing hard for Rennie to strongly consider retaining Scott Hansen, where I think Rennie's preference was certainly to bring in Mike Blair. So look, it's gonna be interesting to see how that coaching team shakes down in the coming week. So it was meant to be potentially back end of this week. But here we are Thursday and nothing's been finalized as yet, so it can't be too far away.
Speaker 2: No, you'd think not. We did sort of speculate that we might have some assistants to talk about this week, but not to be right, Let's do some tipping for this weekend, Liam, you lead by one after getting four or five last week. I got four or five last week as well. We were by and large the same. We both picked the Brumbies too winning Fiji, which did not happen. Highlanders Hurricanes indonedan Friday night seven o five live on Gold Sport and iHeartRadio. Is this the week that the Cane train gets derailed by the southern Southern side of the Highlanders.
Speaker 3: We almost came off the tracks in Napier before Thecaine's bomb squad was unleashed and then they managed to concede too late trials and blow the bonus points. So it was a very scratchy performance last week from the Canes. But the squad this week looks really bolted on. Billy propped a back, Peter Luckye back really strong, so it will be a shock to you they're going to tip the Canes to win that. It's also my weeknd the betting Synderkit, so I do have quite a large slice of my week riding on that. So if you see my demeanor next week, it may be determined by how the cand goes.
Speaker 2: I suspect you're right. I'm going to side with you and go the Hurricanes for that game. I think they've got a better team this week. There's a couple of injuries as we've touched on to the Highlanders, so they get my tip to the Hurricanes. Brumbie's Chiefs in camber A couple of losses in a row. Now for what the Brumbies, the Chiefs are coming off the buy Jacobson's back in the mix for them. Do they spoil James Slippers party Slippers for Slips. I believe it's been called. They've been told to get out the company nighttime where and take them along to Jo. But do they get the win? Liam?
Speaker 3: I think this is probab the toughest game of the round to tip Elliott's, But I am I'm going to go with the Chiefs. They might not be able to play the brand of rugby that they enjoyed going to cambrid As you say, it's not exactly tropical at any time of the year, so they could be dragged into a bit of a kicking.
Speaker 4: Marling duel.
Speaker 3: But I'm going to tip the Chiefs to go over there and get the job done.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go the Brumbies on the historic occasion for James Slippers to win the Drewa hosting the Reds four thirty five on Saturday at Churchill Park in Lautoka. They're being written off a bit this season the driw but again, playing over there is proving harder and harder for these teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those thunderstorms seem to be coming on call every weekend for them, don't they. So oh, look they're playing well at home. Bloody tough to be over there. I'm going to tip the Duror. I think the Reds resting a couple of their frontline players, which has come back to bites the Canes and the Brumbies.
Speaker 4: So stick with the Dura there.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go the Red for an upset Intoka Mwana pacifica first game at Albany for the end of season, facing the Crusaders seven o five Saturday night.
Speaker 3: Well, I've always said Elliott miner are my third favorite team.
Speaker 2: Who's your second favorite team?
Speaker 3: Probably the Chiefs. Actually yeah, yeah, you'll be shocked it's not the Crusaders.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought. Yeah, yeah, naturally, you know, you've always got a lot of love for them.
Speaker 3: No, Look, I walked up the Crusaders to one that's that game.
Speaker 4: What about a word on your rockie Johnny Lee.
Speaker 2: How impressive was he? Look, he's he's a player that's been around for a couple of seasons in terms not of the top level, but just his name has been mentioned of you know, He's quite impressive. Keeping on this kid. New Zealand under twenties was good for Tasman last year, and I thought added a bit to that Crusader's pack, even aside from his try is just an out and out seven rather than Ethan Blackett are playing seven. Felt like the balance was a lot better in that loose forward trio last week. I thought, as far as deboos go, couldn't have asked much more from the young men.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how of a debut, wasn't it?
Speaker 3: And strucking resemblance to Ethan Blackouter yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've given that both both Tasman boys both look good and black red and black. But maybe they'll get higher on us who knows, and wartars blues around us out nine thirty five on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pump the brakes. One game doesn't make an all Blake Boone Cotter's men to go over there and continue the War Tars woes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm going to the same. I think the Warriors the wheels have come off the war Tars if they were ever on. I was kind of impressed by them and the opening couple of weeks, but they have not been flash in the last couple will update those next week. We'll also bring you up to that with our MVP voting as well as to how that unfolded. You can follow us on the Tipping comp as well, sorry, the Fantasy comp as well. Rugby Direct podcast is what you search. I can completely forgot to change my team. I don't know about you last week, Liam, but completely forgot to make any changes. And I think half my team was sitting out. So you can only go up this week, is what I'm thinking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see I've gone from what one hundred to one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: Something like that. Yeah, it's just plunged on. I'm terrible as it is, and I think I've got worse last week.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, I haven't forgot to do my team, but there are I think I'm probably twenty points twenty spots off the lead, so there's a few punters out there gunning for that super rug Good Josey.
Speaker 2: That's right. We'll get in touch with us as well on the mail bag as well. We'll bring that back next week Rugby Direct at Newstalk ZB dot co dot nz or any questions you can flick us to them on our social media on Twitter as well. Liam always a pleasure to catch up. We're back to normal next week Monday Thursday, barring any sort of breaking news. Look forward to catching up next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I might try to flap my one working wing and come and join Gangs Studio on Monday.
Speaker 2: Eliot lovely to see your face, William. A good weekend. Enjoy your super Rugby. We'll catch you next week on Rugby Director. Thanks to Mark Kelly for producing. And have it health Fuzzy your book today and stay in again
Speaker 1: For more from news Talks at b Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio