Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Sport podcast with Jason Vine from News Talks edb Bill two to come fun it now Met.
Speaker 2: There is, as we mentioned to the stages set for that meant sign.
Speaker 3: The number seven position. Luke Metcalf scored two tries, kicked four or five conversions and helped the Warriors move to within two points of the Panthers and the Roosters at the top of the NRL ladder. Ryan Girdler played over two hundred games for the Panthers. He was an NRL champion with them in two thousand and three. Also a New South Wales state of origin and Australian representative, is now part of Triple m's NRL coverage, the NRL's number one audio network as an incisive and respected analyst, and he joins us Now, Ryan, thanks for your time. How race of was that Warrior's performance against the competition leaders?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I think that certainly put the competition on notice. I think we've all been sort of speaking all year about the importance of those guys finishing one or two so they get some finals at Mount Smart and I sort of watched it obviously. Sorry for the noise on at the airport about to go home. But obviously see it, you know, on a weekly basis, the crowd and the energy that they bring and the performance out there mount smart. But to be their live was something that was really good to experience and now I really understand what they mean. If they can get a couple of home finals, it's going to be very hard to be.
Speaker 3: What was it about the Warriors last night that gave them the edge?
Speaker 2: I think like their physicality, their intensity obviously you know, being indigenous around, and the cultural aspect of it. And to see the guys, you know, or the Marry guys sort of performed the Harker beforehand and you just saw how that engaged the crowd. Kind of reminded me of like a Test match, and then from there, you know, the onset they were just really physical. I thought they were led really well by obviously Barnett, but I thought James last night, which is exceptional, especially in those moments where the momentums flung back to Penrith there in the second half, some of his leadership there was there for ord to see and obviously, you know, I think they've been really they looked really settled with their attacking structures. I thought they were great last week against the Titans, obviously with that win, but I don't know, they just seemed to be all full of confidence and really well connected and they got great balance, so it was just an out steven. Though Penrith made a little bit of a push at the later part of the game. I thought they were just always in complete control and they were really impressive.
Speaker 3: And into the mix, of course, came Luke Metcalfe. Hasn't played for quite a long time. Looked like it'd never been away. A couple of tries, good kicking game, plenty of confidence. How much did he impress you last night?
Speaker 2: Yeah, look at you know, I think it was over four hundred days since he played halfback, so obviously been playing a little bit of five eighth and I know that there's a similar role, but he went into that first receiver role last night and did a great job. You spoke about, you know, the tries that he scored and the impact he had with the football, but it was you know, his kicking game and his maturity and his decision defensively and all the little parts of his game that I was really impressed with last night. As well, so, yeah, it's going to be great for you guys to have him pushing into the finals like.
Speaker 3: A hell of seema. He keeps producing moments that excite people both sides of the Talesman, do you see him becoming one of the real genuine stars of the NRL over the next couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yeh, Look, I can't. I can't see why not. You know, like he's got all the attributes done he and last night, you know some of those the chases he put through with the kicks and then the acrobatics in the air. So just always seeing different parts of his game and his development and obviously that run out of trouble and then setting up the try in the same set of six. So he had a massive impact in the game last night. And he's a big physical guy and and you know it just could be a guy that could just be, you know, the star power that you guys need in those big games in the finals, when someone's got to pull something out of the out of the out of the kit bag, he might just be the guy to do that. With the confidency, out of the moment, we've.
Speaker 3: Become used to seeing Penrith finding another gear when they're behind. Did you think they were going to mount one of their trademark comebacks last night?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well not really, to be honest, Like I thought the Warriors were in complete control of that one. Obviously, there was that ten or so minutes where they had a little bit of possession. They came up with some points and Nathan sort of pulled the trigger. But as soon as that tried to I think it was Alamani was disallowed because they were offside. I thought that God of the Air went out of the balloon. Then I think the Warriors and their fans were getting a little bit nervous, But but it was fleeting, you know that. I thought they were in complete control the whole night.
Speaker 3: Actually going off with a pectoral injury, if he's unavailable for an extended period, Ryan, how much does that change Penrith's premiership outlook?
Speaker 2: Oh, it definitely does. You know, Like there's only a certain amount of players, you know, in each team that can have that sort of impact, and him and Nathan and those guys I would say at Penrith, and he's a big part of their attacking structures. He allows their halves just to get that little bit wider and Obviously, he's a great leader, great defensively and he's a big part of what they do. So if he's out, it certainly brings them back to the field.
Speaker 3: Panthers worry is the Rooster's won last night. The Sharks will probably beat the Dragons. This is some top four race, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's turning into a nice one. I think at the halfway make everyone was a little bit worried that the Penrith side were that good they were going to kind of blow everyone away and it was a one horse race. But I think we're seeing that, you know, these other sides growing in confidence, and the Sharks are mounting what looks like a really good finals push as well. And the Roosters where they add look at the back end of their game last night, they found a way to win against the Bulldaux who were also making a little bit of a push at the bottom part of the A. So it's going to be a very interesting final series.
Speaker 3: As always, great to have you here for this one. Ryan, hope we can welcome you back for a finals game or two. Mate.
Speaker 2: Well maybe, yeah, it looks like I'll be coming back over and then obviously I'll be part of the Origin push next year at when we come over at Eden Park, which are going to be exciting as well.
Speaker 3: Outstanding. Hey, great to chat mate, travel safe, really appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: My pleasure and enjoy the rest of the season with the Warriors and I wish them all the best.
Speaker 3: Thanks very much. Indeed, Ryan, good to talk to you mate, Ryan Girdler. There Penrith Panthers legend the Warriors are real. They are genuine NRL contenders. On that evidence, they can beat any team on any given night. The Panthers are the NL benchmark. Before last night, they had lost fewer games than anybody else this season. They've scored more points than anybody else the Panthers and conceded fewer than anyone else. They hadn't lost to the Warriors in Auckland since twenty eighteen. For the Warriors to beat them and to produce that first half that they did tells you everything you need to know about the Warriors. They can go all the way. Luke Metcalf doesn't matter how it happened. He's back. He's had to be extremely patient, but last night was a reminder of what a quality rugby league player he is. To Mighty Martin's been really good, really good since taking over from Tanner Boyd. But Luke metcalf is a very special rugby league player and yes he may be wearing different colors next year, but for the next two months he is a warrior and he could well be the key Warrior. Others to stand out Aaron Clark absolute machine, My god, what a player, James Fisher, Harris, what a leader, lack a hell of that kid could be anything he wants. The NRL Minor Premiership is a four horse race. Panthers thirty six, Roosters thirty six, Warriors thirty four. As I said to Ryan Girdler, the Sharks will probably beat the Dragons and move to thirty four, so it'll be thirty six, thirty six, thirty four to thirty four. After that, everybody will have four games to go. The Warriors have the Broncos away, the rabbit O's away, the Knights at home, the Sea Eagles at home. Those teams are currently sixteenth, eighth, sixth and tenth. Those games are all winnable, but in the NRL every game is losable as well. The Warriors lost to the Tigers in the early part of the season. They lost the Bulldogs two weeks ago. Nothing is guaranteed, but it is hard not to get excited about what this team can do could do between now and early October.
Speaker 1: All aboard for more from Weekend Sport with Jason Fine. Listen live to News Talk said B weekends from mid or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio