Speaker 1: Live from the Export Beer Garden Studios. You're listening to the b YC where it's semi final time at the T twenty World Cup. And while New Zealand fans will still have a sour taste in the mouth, it's a layed a little by our brothers across the ditch also exiting early, and the magnificent alf Ghani's making it through with a very real chance of making the finals.
Speaker 2: So let's dig into it. Fowlers, how are you Dylan? A long time?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: See?
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, it feels like a while, doesn't it. Yes, it's lovely to have you back on deck. Yeah, I'm pretty well. Actually I'm enjoying the Tea twenty World Cup without there being that each of the seat kind of thing you get with New Zealand to play.
Speaker 2: Sure. Sure, Paul Ford, how are you going?
Speaker 3: I'm good mate. Look, I'm a cricket purestic carefty Zealands and it or not, you know, I just sit around watching cricket all day, every day, old videos. It's just nice to have some fresh content.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: She quite pleasant in a way because it does remove that element for you when your team's out of the competition. You sort of have a different perspective on watching it. No panic attacks, no panic attacks or anything like that. Yourself drinking coffee and a living at night.
Speaker 2: Oh I still do that anyway.
Speaker 1: But you know, like that Afghanistan Australian match, that was a fantastic match.
Speaker 2: I was, I was loving it, loving it.
Speaker 1: Now, let's look at this New Zealand campaign, fellas and where we're at with it.
Speaker 2: Dylan Kleaver.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess we've had a bit of a time to reflect and probably the public saw the worst of Paul and myself as we dissected it straight after the game. Emotions were running high. Sure, look kind of when you see Afghanistan roll Australia, maybe put that New Zealand performance into some sort of perspective. But I still I don't think the biggest problem was our performance against Afghanistan, as Richard as it was. I don't think the major problem was Afghanistan beating us. It was that we did not New Zealand did not give themselves the best chance yes performing well in that game. I think that is the critical issue that can't get lost, even even despite you know, the Taliban advancing all the way to the semi finals.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, well there is that really you know, difficult element of it when you're sort of cheering them on. I love the Afghanistan passion though. I love their commitment to what they're doing. It's it's fantastic, you know, Paul Forward and I've been reading a fair amount too, I mean, Gary Steeds under a lot of pressure, a lot of people just saying enough's enough. We've been on a downward slide now for quite some time.
Speaker 2: Do we need changes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Look, I don't think it's going to happen. I mean I think his wins and his successes far out see the doom and gloom that this campaign has brought about. You know, the Afghanistan game aside, does feel like he would be the scapegoat for the preparation side of things, and you get the feeling that because he hasn't actually fully owned that that maybe it was actually out of his hands. He tried his best, him and the him and the administration tried their best to get everyone together and it was actually impossible. You know. I just don't think that he's the kind of guy that's going to dig in if he thinks that he's doing a shit job. So look, I can I can cope with that. And you know, as I think Dylan and I talked about last week, you know the other option is to split the coaching arrangements. Well, it's just really difficult to do that given the way our schedule works with the hotch Potch Medley millunge of t twenties. Then we'll have some tests and then we'll have some one days and it would just you suspect that it's actually would actually make things really really difficult to be chopping and changing between coaches. So look, I'm not sure that there will be changes at on the coaching side of things. I don't think his contract will be torn up early. And if I think about the tournament, it's actually the game, you know, if get us down on a tear picians are perfect for them. They are playing some fantastic cricket, gritty cricket, and their rock stars are being rock stars and some of their second tier players are having blinders in this tournament, which is exactly kind of what you want for me. The game against the West Indies was that was the worst one. We were warmed up for that one. We were on top and we just couldn't get it done. That one was even more frustrating given the context of what we've seen from Afghanistan.
Speaker 4: Since can I put something to you, Jason, Yes, on this subject, I think. I mean, I'm sure Paul is right, they're not about to make a change. But when you witness something gradually declining correct over a period of time now, and I think we're pretty safe in saying that. Right, we had Bangladesh betting us in a Test match at home. I think we've had the Bangers beening us at a one day or at home. We have had a pretty limp performance against Australia, a very limp performing the Marquie Test series. Our asses were saved by the most incredible Test ever against England at the Reserve, but up until the third day of that Test would been ranswered in that series, We've now had this poor campaign. If you're actually witnessing in slow motion to decline, is it irresponsible not to make changes?
Speaker 1: Well, that was the point I was about to make before you asked me that question, Dylan, which was you know, Paul talking about this tournament when we can't hold the coaches responsible for that, you know, And I wasn't thinking when I raised that question. Just of this tournament. I've been thinking about the run that we've been having that Australian series. Yeah, we gave them a bit of a fright in the second Test, but that pissed me off.
Speaker 2: That series. It was our.
Speaker 1: Premiere sort of moment of the season and we fluffed it badly, I thought, and played pretty buddy poorly. And you know, it's a weird conglomeration and mixture of players coming to the end of their tenure anyway, mixed with you know, it's hard to sort of go how much the coach is responsible for things that are going wrong. But it does feel like we need a freshen up, a reset, and we need to take some risks and do things a bit differently, because you know, Steed's always been praised for steady as she goes, I guess, and that's been has sort of go to and I see the value in that, but it just feels like steady as she.
Speaker 2: Goes isn't working anymore.
Speaker 1: We need to do something a bit different in outside the box.
Speaker 4: I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I think Paul is going to be right. But I don't think he should be right, And I think you actually hit the nail on the head there, Jace, I really do. Hey. Can we look specifically just at the T twenty game, yes, projector head to twenty twenty six where the tournament will be in India and Sri Lanka. And I just want to go through the current squad as it stands now and get a yay or nay from both of you where they will still feature in twenty six. And obviously we sat with the big dog Cain Williamson, who had some news obviously last week. Yeah, your name ya.
Speaker 3: No, he won't be there. I want him to be there, but he won't.
Speaker 4: Be Yeah, I'm going ay as well. I don't think I think he will actually pull the plug on T twenty eyes. So there's two one there for Allen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair enough, Nate Ooh, well we talked about a sixty percent record, Pholis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not good enough. It's true.
Speaker 3: I think you'll be there. I think they've I think they've invested in him, and I reckon he'll come good.
Speaker 4: Yeah. This is a real baby in the bathwater one for me. I think he needs some big improvements. But I've got a question out there. I'm going to sit on the fence there Trent Bolt. Obviously he's indicated nay himself, So yes.
Speaker 2: I was going to say nay. Anyway, two more years down the track.
Speaker 4: We don't have to linger on that one. Another one of Paul Spedish players here, Michael brace Will, so perhaps we'll go to him first this time.
Speaker 3: I think he has gone how old he? He's thirty three now, I think so, Yeah, he'll be thirty five. I don't think so. I think you'll be gone nay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nay for me, that's a clean sweep of knais Mark Chapman, Nay, he.
Speaker 3: Looks about twelve. But how old actually is he?
Speaker 2: I think he's about the mid twenties, isn't he?
Speaker 4: No? I think late. I think he's thirty is he?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: He might have to get our producer who's standing by it, to look that up. While we chat about him. I'm going to go nay with Mark Chapman because I'm just not sure that when the lights shine brightest he's quite up to it. So I'm going to say nay.
Speaker 3: I reckon he'll be in the squad. He's twenty ninety tens thirty in late July, So he's twenty nine point nine, so one of our few players under thirty actually, but by a.
Speaker 4: Whisker, okay dev dev con retired oh fourteen.
Speaker 2: Twenties, Chuck, Yay.
Speaker 4: I'm going to say yay, I think he should play. I do not think he should WI could keep as a made abundantly clear, but I think he should be the Kane Williamson role going forward to the next couple of years. You just can't have two of them, that's my point. But I think he can still be the innings anchor or the guy that you build an innings around. Interesting one here, Lacky Ferguson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tough for you with it quick, isn't it, because that's another two years.
Speaker 4: Down the track and he's got no contract.
Speaker 1: He's got no contract, he's been priming to injury and he's thirty three.
Speaker 3: Nay.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm actually going to go yay here because I think he is going to be I think he'll play be in demand around the world, and I think you'll have less cricket, the more high value cricket. So I'm going to say yay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he'll be in a war with Ben Sears, and I think he'll still.
Speaker 4: Be around Matt Henry. Yeah, it's a hard note for me. I just think he should concentrate on tests and one.
Speaker 3: Day is he feels like a red ball player to me? Yeah? Or a long long form Yeah, that's a better way of putting it DC. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But then, but we viewed him for so long as a white ball specialist.
Speaker 4: Ode he is brilliant. O, he's coming to his own and test cricket. I just wouldn't bother now at thirty something years old, trying to turn him into a T twenty five. It's name for me, Darryl, Darryl mitch Son of them, mitch Yay, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's good to get.
Speaker 3: Some which is weird, right because he's he's also thirty three. But it feels like I think he's been official and our thinking because he hasn't been around for that long. Yeah, he's a late you know, he's the he's the archetypal late bloomer. And so it's not like we feel like he's sort of done his dash because his dash came quite late. So yeah, it's an interesting one.
Speaker 4: Isn't it ignored? Does it feel like his skill set is not in keeping with the modern game, I think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jimmy Niche.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm a big fan of Jimmyish but in two years down the track.
Speaker 4: Nay, yeah, I'm exactly an alignment with your thinking there, Paul.
Speaker 3: M Yeah, Look, what's he going to be? He is thirty four this year, so he'll be thirty six. I just don't think he'd be bothered.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he might be available, but I just don't think. I think he will have faded out or turned completely and utterly into a frenchise cricketer, which he must be about ninety nine percent of at the moment, So he'll be gone. Ski's i'd suggest.
Speaker 4: GP Glenn Phillips yep, yep, Yeah, he's a lock. Yeah, and I suspect we're going to have another unanimous lock here Retchen Revenger.
Speaker 3: I yeah, yeah, I'll probably even put him in the team to actually play the games as well.
Speaker 2: That would be get carried away here, paulow mate.
Speaker 4: Maybe steps Paul Jesus Mitchell Santner, who's older than he looks as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah he's thirty two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I reckon, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably the captain perhaps, And it might be his swan song. Actually that tournament unless they're going to hang on for the twenty twenty eight World Cup out this way in Australia, in New.
Speaker 4: Zealand, capin Wadgo is Sodi yep, nate for me. I think he might have moved on from him a little bit unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's right. I think it'll be an Eddie, a shock World or something like someone of.
Speaker 1: That Elk Yeah, no, fair point. Ch Actually yeah, I'll change my mind on that one.
Speaker 4: And Tim Sowby, who's an interesting one to finish off with.
Speaker 1: Nay, no, no, no, not two more years. I love the guy, don't get me wrong. He's a committed cricketer and he's in good health and he's flat.
Speaker 2: But yeah, two years.
Speaker 3: Thirty seven running a pretty much a James Anderson vibe. I think that he'll be I think that he'll pull up starts before, particularly when you look where that World Cup is. I think it's India, isn't it. DC.
Speaker 4: It's got a very good record there in white ball cricket. I actually reckon this might surprise us. As Jason mentioned, he's in very good nick, very fit. It's not as if he's pushing the envelope in terms of his pace. True, so here we still around that one twenty five to one thirty two. He The thing about Tim is that for all the Knox he gets, all he wants to do is play cricket for his country.
Speaker 3: Yes, so, don't get me wrong, I'll take him if he's available. I'm just I just didn't think that he would be. Yeah, I'm saying he's available. I'm picking him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, same, I think he will be.
Speaker 2: Actually yeah, well there you go. Fascinating stuff.
Speaker 3: It's interesting, isn't it. I mean quite a few of the teams. I mean, I guess we're running a bit of a not quite a dad's army. What's one below that? Sort of an uncle's army is it? I don't know whatever. England are running a dad's army and it's kind of worked for them in this tournament. I think they'll be happy with the semifinals. Australia they've got no one under thirty I think except Tim David in their top t twenty team for this tournament, so they've taken the punt and it's just interesting seeing teams with some of the younger, more mercurial cricketers coming through have gone on to do well in this tournament.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and surely too.
Speaker 1: You know, we've got to discover more talent in this country over the next two years.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: T twenty is firmly entrenched in the cricket psyche, you know, and there's players out there that you know, in club cricket and so forth, that that's what their focus is. T twenty. You've got to believe that there's got to be some talent coming through, surely, Yeah, because if you're holding on for two more years with some of these players, you really do have to start asking some questions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well we had more than half naisire, so yes, I mean we due a refresh. We do it due a different way of looking at the game, a more power based game. So I guess that's what we want to see in the poor old super smashin.
Speaker 3: And the interesting thing is that all of these either are going to have to be playing shitloads of T twenty, aren't they, because that's where the world's going to go. So we're not going to die wondering. I don't think many of them are going to be able to make the choice light cable in sort of actually, you know what, I might not I might not play that. They're all going to be playing it to their crust.
Speaker 2: Fantastic stuff fellers.
Speaker 1: Well, let's take a quick break and be back with some discussion on these T twenty semi finals.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 1: So the semis as that whether I was going to say don and dust, of course they're not done in dust it, but it's settled who's playing who. Let's start off Afghanistan and South Africa. God, sorry, I had a brain fade there. I was just having a little look before at the wind probability there Dylan Cleaver, and I saw that they had the South Africans at seventy five percent win probability. Geez, I'd have a little punt on the Afghanistan side. They're passionate, they're pumped up, they've got a skill set. Now it is the bowl of Nevene or Nevenevi Nevene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, how good is he? I was watching him the other day going thinking to myself.
Speaker 1: Jeesus, like Boomra. He's got such a similar style to Boomra. And then they did a slow side by side of Boomra and leven It was identical.
Speaker 2: He's a phenomenal player.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've been the darlings of the tournament so to speak. I think seventy five is a bit high. Actually they're playing it. Look at the Brie Lara Academy in Trinidad, which is I been pretty helpful to spinners, as the West Indies showed when we decided to go on with a very seam heavy attack against against them. I can see Afghanistan tipping them up and you, I guess you've got a factor in it. Also that South Africa not noted for coming to the party in the semi final stages of world tournaments.
Speaker 1: And they've kind of won ugly too though, haven't they South Africa? They have won ugly in some of their matches.
Speaker 4: They have had two in fairness to them because they played in some pretty rich conditions in New York and so I wouldn't read two much into that. I mean Quentin to car Adam Markram class and heinrich class. And they have got good players. They have eleven better cricketers than Afghanistan. But Afghanistan are very top heavy. They rely big time on that opening partnership and that bowling attack. And it's T twenty they could win. I would put it at sixty three thirty seven.
Speaker 1: Very specific bear Dylan, Yeah, that that Afghanistan opening partnership, was it three Hundi's in this tournament opening partnerships.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Goerbez and Zardar. And they are sensational and not just slogging either, you know, playing genuine cricket shots along the ground. Quite comfortable slogging as well, but certainly more than one dimension on show. Yeah, as you say, Dylan, they are South Africans are entering the choke zone. It's been a long wait for them to be in in a major final. And it's it's cool that, I actually reckon it's cool that there's a couple of kind of unfashionable teams that are in the semi, which means we're going to have someone interesting in the final. I think, yeah, I the question really is is this a different South African team? I mean they've beaten Bandlesh I think by what was it three or four runs, They've beaten Nepal by one. They've squeaked past England, They've got past the West Indies, which is a bloody goodwin beating knocking the home team out.
Speaker 4: I play well that game too.
Speaker 3: They did yep and smart too right they played. They're also prepared to tweak their lineup if they see it's been friendly. I think Aiden markrom Bold the first four overs right through the power play, and you know they've got good spin bowlers, sensational Seamas Ribada obviously, Nautchia Jensen. I mean they are a really really dangerous team and look, I for the sake of the Taliban, I really hope so they could get past them, to be honest, and I think it would be cool for cricket to have a team like that get through, even though I really hate them because maybe part of the reason they're good at TWA twenty is because they didn't send their best players out here for the test series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair point England India. You'd have to favor the Indian side, wouldn't you, Dylan Cleaver? But you know, T twenty toss of a coin.
Speaker 4: It's a bit of a Hobson's choice this one.
Speaker 2: For me.
Speaker 4: I think India a bit of team. They're going to Guiana, which has a massive Indian population. Quadron, it'll feel like a home game. I suspect for India. It feel very hostile for England. Yeah, if it's stranger things have happened. This is a decent England team and Phil Salt could get away down Johnny Bestow could get away and suddenly a game slipped on its head. But I would be surprised if India didn't reach fun didn't prevail.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll feel like a home game, Dylan, because it is a home game for India, because they've known that if they make the sentience, they're going to be playing at that venue at that day, at that time, on that pitch against whoever the hell they play. Because that's just part of the ridiculous formatting of this tournament. I think that it is a bit unfair that they've had that cheeky little advantage, but that's cricket, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I guess the consensus is India South Africa final.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd look forward to that, and actually, can I just get pulled to elaborate on that point before because I have correspondence to the Bounce my subsequent newsletter on the subject as well, about why we don't fully embrace this what should be this amazing underdog story in Afghanistan. I mean, they're not the only country that plays for a pretty dodgy regime. So what is it in particular about the Afghanistan regime that should give us pause for thought?
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I think political here fellows.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's an interesting one because it's it's a real dichotomy, isn't it. Between this wonderful fairy tale this team that's come out of Division five and you see the list of the player of the teams that they've beaten over the last ten years, and it is an extraordinary smagas board of countries from all around the world if they've come up through the grades and then into the World Cup semi finals this time around. But there is this, I guess it's two things. One is the very nature of the Taliban. So when couple fell to the Taliban in twenty twenty one, basically they just said no more woman playing sports, no more woman going to the gym, cove your heir, cove your skin, no more going to school, you can't go to the park, all of that kind of stuff. So I'm sure that's just the sort of the regulatory layer of that. The enforcement of that, I'm sure is pretty grim. So there's that that just the very nature of that prejudice against women. Then you've got the hypocrisy. I think that's followed on from it. So for example, you've had Cricket Australia go, we are not going to go to Afghanistan and two there because we have concerns about the regime that's in place over there. And so you know, it's sort of weird because they were going to play in the United Arab Emirates, they weren't going to be sort of playing in caball. But basically you've got this thing where where it's convenient, where you maybe need to make win a game to get through to the Cricket World Cup semi finals, you'll be happy to play the game, but you're actually not prepared to kind of go in and play the games when the games are part of the schedule. So there's this weird there's this weird hypocrisy. And also you've got the Taliban coming out kind of saying, you know, we just think you should be really fair to all of the countries and come and play, come and play with us.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I think it's it's a really complicated subject, but I think it would be doing a disservice not to acknowledge that there is some complexity around this particular fairy tale.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think the woman thing is the big thing, right, you are meant to The International Cricket Council dictates that you should have a woman's program, and they clearly cannot have a woman's program under the under the Taliban. But I do where I do sympathize as the players themselves have been getting a little bit of grief but not speaking out against it, against the regime. And all I would say to that is walk a mile in their shoes, and you know, they have family. Even though they themselves might not be living in Cable or Kandergar or cost or wherever it is at the moment, they have family over there. I would not be speaking out too loudly against a regime that has proven in the past to be fairly murderous. Yeah, and just in case anyone from the Taliban is listening, that was Paul Fordy just said that.
Speaker 3: Not even true. It's not even true. The other thing that we should talk about briefly is and I wouldn't. Just to be clear, I am not really following them. This is not a segway from the Teleban discussion, but there was some pretty shoddy behavior in that semi final against Bangladesh.
Speaker 1: Told me through that what was going on there be through this because I didn't watch the game, I'll.
Speaker 4: Leave a Florida Paul, but I was very funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you had the Afghanistan coach Jonathan trot Yes, so sorry. Yeah, so they're banning. They get ahead on the Duckworth Lewis stern thing by two runs. Jonathan Trott, the coach, then is sort of waving at the team. He was very involved towards through this match, lots of field settings and all sorts, and he was sort of waving his hands down and sort of saying slow it down, slow it down, slow it down, obviously noting that they were two runs ahead on the Duckworth Lewis as the rain came in, so this would be quite a convenient juncture for us to stop. Now. I think it was misinterpreted by the first slip, who absolutely fell down like he'd been shot, and it was sort of, I think, attributed back to the coach that he had told the slips to do that, and of course he actually hadn't. He was just sort of saying slow it down, and all sorts of chaos and then you could see that the band dish batsmen were like, this is not very good. Commentators were very damning, and even Rashi Cant, who was bowling at the time, was kind of like, what are we doing? I did see it. I did see Later on it got described as oh, yeah, he just had a bit of cramp, which is obviously just absolute horseship.
Speaker 2: Us didn't know.
Speaker 4: Hell when he came on to bowl off his full run up too not long after that. Yes, and and.
Speaker 3: The celebratory charge Gilbertan it was absolutely at the front of the pack, just tearing his way out of the out of the dugout, you know, like absolutely totally involved. Yeah, so one of the dodgiest left eye injuries. I saw Adam Zamper describe it as a pulled ham rainstring, I think is what he called it. Was it a rainstring? I saw rain string? Yes.
Speaker 1: Well, one thing you got to say about the Afghanistan side, though they're very entertaining to watch, you know, the celebrations and you know they were into it and that you know the fun part of watching them. You know, it is a complicated story and it's always difficult when these politics involved too.
Speaker 2: But they are quite amusing to watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the game was actually hinky and more ways than one too, because Bangladesh seemed to pull out very quickly from an opportunity to win by a big enough margin to qualify themselves out of that group. I mean, it's not like they were chasing a big target. And then after about nine overs they said have three point one overs left to get to the target, and Marmadulla came out and started blocking everything.
Speaker 3: It was yeah, basic one hundred and sixteen. I've quite an extraordinary picture of this thing. So I was heading from up the city after going up for Seinfelder. Let's not talk about that. That's a whole gaza conversation. And my taxi driver was Afghani, and I noticed that when we were stopped at the lights, he was clicking in and putting the stream on the video stream on, but obviously thought that it was a bit dodgy to do it wile he was driving. I noticed that and I said, just put it on, mates. He put it on, turned the volume up full blowing, and as we drove out to the to the airport to fly home. Yeah, we watched the last five overs together in the taxi and He was absolutely pumped up. So when we got to the ukle airport, he set me off with about five hundred toots no ak forty seven shots. But I imagined that if he had one, he would have been raining bullets upon me as well, which, yeah, it's quite quite sensational, really amazing.
Speaker 4: Did you get a discounter or was it prepaid?
Speaker 2: Uber?
Speaker 3: I gave him a tip. I thought I'd give him a tip because I thought, yeah, he made that experience of that taxi right, absolutely sensational.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 3: He was into it.
Speaker 1: So some big names of course Big Country is not making it through New Zealand. Of course Parkstown, Westerndies. Australia, Mitch Marsh under a bit of pressure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I guess any Australian captain, it doesn't bring.
Speaker 2: Home if you lose. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: He bettered really poorly in that tournament too, and he didn't get runs and know their critical match, he was caught sensation. They had to India and it looked like him and Trevor's head were setting them up to chase down two hundred odd and then he got caught sensationally on the boundary by Aksha or AKX Patel not quite sure how you say that first name. And it may have been a little bit of a mistake because the Indian fielding coach or coach was out there chatting to Aha and he didn't turn around till quite late. And I suspect if he had turned around and walked in with the bowler when he should have started, he would have been too far in and would have gone over his head. So it was really quite.
Speaker 2: Answer on their side.
Speaker 4: It was a miracle one hand to catch above his head. But yeah, Mitchell Marsha, I mean, I don't know what do you make of him as a skipper pool.
Speaker 1: He seems pretty loose and relaxed to me. It doesn't seem to get too wound up.
Speaker 3: I think that's kind of the problem. Jase, Yeah, I think you know. The runs are one thing. I think you know a couple of scores. He dropped the center of a catch, absolute sort of a catch. He didn't bowl himself. And lots of the Instagram stories and reels and posts and so on from the Australian team in and around this tournament have been around.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I think you guys want of Adam Zampra and Matthew Wade out fishing. I think it was, wasn't it in the little speedos, which neither of you seem to appreciate. But my point is quite a relp. You said that it made you feel a bit sick, relaxed, kind of a vibe around this team, and I think they were probably trying something different in the wake of the high pressure stakes of the IPL. And yeah, I guess Mitchell marsh is going to be the guy that the knives are going to be out for because it's kind of like, oh, you guys were a bit too casual and look where that got us. What actually happened was they had a really shitty day against Afghanistan and that just stuffed them up for the whole tournament. That's how tournament's like, that's work, doesn't it. Yeah, one game, crappy game and you're gone.
Speaker 1: Yes, finally, Davy dum dumb, finally finally.
Speaker 4: Isn't there something quite delicious about the thought that his international career effectively ended with him watching a television praying for Bengladesh to beat Afghanistan. I mean, it's hard not answered, it's hardy waving your back to have packed the mcg as you leave the ground for the last time, is it yes, very much so.
Speaker 3: About to a scream a catch to against Afghanistan.
Speaker 1: Hey, now we're going to take a little break again and be back with some of your correspondents.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 1: We've got some correspondence here from Mark t and the Windy's and he writes, Fellows, I know you guys have consigned this World Cup to the dust spin of history, so I wasn't going to send another update. However, I got in from the Afghanistan versus Australia game, where there was a sizeable contingent of kiwis who had anticipated us making the quarter finals and playing in Saint Vincent.
Speaker 2: This game was like redemption.
Speaker 1: We weren't as ratched as we thought and Afghanistan deserved to be there.
Speaker 2: What an atmosphere.
Speaker 1: The drums were mental and I was still dancing away well after the game was over. The point of this email is to say there will be some happy traveling fans tonight, and I'm one of them.
Speaker 2: What a blast.
Speaker 1: If you do a wrap up of the world then this game should be singled out for its restorative effect on our bruised and battered cricketing souls well for us traveling fans anyway, not sure anyone else will have noticed. Thanks for reading out my first email. I love Cain and I think he's the best equal ploywer we've ever had, not least because we won a trip to Lords with the team in twenty fifteen and Cain was particularly nice to my boy Moss Cheers.
Speaker 4: Thank you for keeping us up to date with your travels, Mark Turner, It's been a pleasure to read.
Speaker 1: Them, but right now it's time for Paul Ford's cricket Violence Corner.
Speaker 2: Paul Ford's cricket Violence Corner.
Speaker 3: Police have descended on a cricket field at a club in Hampshire to evict travelers who allegedly broke onto the land and drove around in circles in the middle of the night. The travelers were removed from the cricket field at Petersfield Cricket Club, which is said to have been severely damaged by their intrusion. Photos posted by the club online show the field blighted with deep circular tire marks cutting into the grass. Club captain Chris Russell said last night we had some unexpected visitors on our CCTVV two four x four forward rangers. We're doing donuts on our field. We're a volunteer club with two hundred members. We have lots and lots of volunteer hours to put everything back together. It's really disappointing that there's this mindless damage. So b YC listeners, if you have any information about this, please do get in touch with the Hampshire Constabulary.
Speaker 1: Great suff mate, and to finish us off with this podcast, it's a pull Ford news or oozy.
Speaker 3: That's three things that'll be something wrong with one of them. The first one Break Duckworth, the man whose mathematical knowledge helped to revolutionize rain affected cricket, died overnight, aged ninety nine, falling just short of his rain reduced three figure target. The English statistician created the Duckworth Lewis method with Tony Lewis, a model to recalculate the scores when limited over matches were curtailed by weather. Duckworth spent his entire career working in the nuclear industry. Originally employed as a metallogist, he found he had the ability to extract useful information from masses of numerical measurements. Sad news from Australia. Will Pikowski has probably played his last professional cricket match, according to a report from Code Sports, which claims that Victorian cricket players and officials are increasingly resigned to the idea. It was reported in March this year that an expert medical panel would come together to discuss his playing future after he suffered yet another blow to the head in a Sheffield Shield match. The incident, adding to the twenty six year old's long long history of concussions. Terrible news, terrible news and number three another quite grim one. To be honest, Trudy Linn Blade, Cricket Scotland CEO, has described public comments made by player John Blaine at the formal conclusion of an independent investigation into allegations of racist behavior as very disappointed. Blane is the form of Scotland and Yorkshire bowler who claimed last week they had been exonerated of allegations of racism. After making public a letter he received from Cricket Scotland in January, Blaine issued a subsequent statement preempting is Cricket Scotland's formal conclusion of the investigation process. Blaine threatened threatened at legal action against the board. How good is this? He said that Cricket Scotland. He accused Cricket Scotland of a craven, disingenuous and despicable attempt to rewrite history a week after I was forced to go public to clear my name. It's a mess over there, boys, Cricket Scotland. It's a shambles and there are shambles on the field as well as we've seen here we go?
Speaker 2: Shall I go first?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you might as well.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go one.
Speaker 4: That's what I was going.
Speaker 2: Did you say Brent Duckworth Rank?
Speaker 4: Sorry, Brank, that is his name. He wasn't on Coronation Street either, that's what you were thinking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is it?
Speaker 4: That was Vera Duckworth and Jack the Pigeon.
Speaker 3: Do you know that?
Speaker 1: No, I can see you being a massive Coronation Street fans used to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm almost thinking that you might lose instantly for knowing that much about Coronation Street to be a lord of like a breach.
Speaker 2: Frank Duckworth.
Speaker 4: No, you don't think it's Frank Dackworth. No, I do think it's Frank Duckworth. I just don't know if it's Tony Lewis, because Tony Lewis was a former England captain in Glamorgan or round her. I think it's the Tony Lewis that's role, not the Frank duck With So I'm going to go a story one too.
Speaker 3: Well, it is story one, but it is Frank Duckworth and it is Tony Lewis. But he didn't die aged ninety nine. He died aged eighty four. I just made it, put a cricket number in there for you.
Speaker 2: I will just give it to me for the time being.
Speaker 3: I'll look after it because you bravely went first, Jason.
Speaker 2: With that push keep it.
Speaker 4: We were so far off oth Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: I keep it fair enough.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 1: That brings us to the end of this podcast, so obviously we'll be back after the semis in the final.
Speaker 2: What's going on with the bounce, Dylan?
Speaker 4: Well, the bounces concentrating on the WILTI twenty at the moment, diverting to things like the or black naming the other night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what'd you think?
Speaker 4: I thought it was pretty sound, Yes, felt a little bit sorry for Husk Institution.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was weird, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But there you go. But join me anyway on the bounce at Dylancleaver dot substack dot com. We'd love to have you along. It's free and pull.
Speaker 1: If people want to get in contact with us, mate and sending these these magnificent letters, what do they do?
Speaker 3: Like, I say, an email a short epistle to b YC at Bagebrigade dot co dot m Z, or slide into the dms on Instagram or Facebook for the opportunity of commentary collective or the base.
Speaker 1: Brigade beautiful stuff. Well, thanks for taking the time to listen. We'll be back very soon. Until then, take care,