Speaker 1: I'm Francesca Budkin and I'm Louise Arii and this is season four of our New Zealand held podcast The Little Things, a podcast where we talk to experts and find out the little things you need to know to improve all areas of your life and cut through the confusion and overload of information out there, because we know how overwhelming it can be. So if you're a call. In season two we spoke about skin care, and season three we spoke about heath care and I revealed myself as a fifty plus aged novice on both and I learned so much. Well, we both learned a lot. Yeah, we did. And I saved a lot of money too, which was really good. I don't know about you. Well, I had touse some investment. You have to have some investment it and I might have been able to cut back, but at least we did it in the right places. I didn't waste my money. Yeah, spend my money better. So you know now that we have our skin regime under control. Today's podcast is all about makeup and it's inspired by our producer Carey. He's younger than us, and she came to work one day and said why doesn't my makeup stick on my face anymore?
Speaker 2: Oh, we can't answer that, unfortunately, but we understand where you're coming from, and who hasn't at some points that have put their makeup on the way they normally do and then kind of gone, why don't I actually look better?
Speaker 1: So? Why has my canceala migrated to my wrinkles, which is the prop of my head? Why does my foundation look heavy? Or why do my dark moody eyes make me look older? And why is most of that dark moody eye now on my cheeks? Well, you do make a bit more of an effort, and I know you never leave home without a mascaret, right, Well, that's not necessarily true because I exercise without any makeup, Like I'll meet you first thing in the morning, and my face is literally still lying from how it was scrunched and a pillow. So not when I'm not necessarily it wouldn't run well, Some people do, know they do well. The next thing I can say contradicts that, because I would say I wouldn't leave the house without it, right, But that's day to day life. If I'm heading into work or yeah, you know I can give you a need, it's mine, it's I just look completely different just if I put my scar on. If if that's anything I do, that's what I do. So my weakness personally is falling for one brand and just you know, sticking with sticking with it, and also falling for those things that say things like airbrush, flawless foundation, and then it doesn't live up to the promise. What you do about there? Like how do you know? So here on the little things, you may have noticed that we resist fans and trends and try not to be sucked into marketing aimed at women's vulnerabilities, like do you really actually need three different contour and creams? But we also like to know how we can look our best whatever age, without spending fortune, and know what makeup is best for our skin. So I am delighted to have lesser mets in with us today. Lisa has been a professional makeup artist and a hairstylist and stylist for thirty years. She's the preferred makeup artist for many celebrities and media organizations. She's done my makeup over the years more times than I can remember, for about a decade at TVNZ and it isn't she doesn't know about making anyone and everyone looks amazing. So it's great to have you with us. Welcome, Lisa, thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: I'm looking forward to our conversation.
Speaker 1: So let's start with, actually, how much eff it we've all made today for an if for a podcast episode about makeup? Because you walked in Lisa and said, well, I've really I've made a bit of an effort for you girls today. Can I be totally honest?
Speaker 3: Last time I did a podcast with someone, I didn't know there was a video, and I didn't make anything at all, and so I was not making that risk today. So I did put a little bit more time than usual and making myself. And I don't think you've got cameras in here. I could have just come with hardly in anything. I could have had a no makeup day if I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Is that because you spend your life doing other people's makeup, you just don't kind of have any interest or get around or don't really not really fuss start.
Speaker 3: I guess for me, I am an artist, so when I make up people, that is my canvas and it's my passion making up myself.
Speaker 1: I wasn't all my thirties that even made more.
Speaker 3: Of an effort, and that's just because things weren't looking as good as they used to. And I still feel sometimes when I go to certain jobs that I will put on my makeup because I want to be seen as a professional. But you know, I do pretty much the same look every day except for special occasions like Halloween, and I might make a you know, pick it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I've made a bit of an effort today, but only because before recording this podcast, I was recording another interview which was being filmed. Otherwise I would be wearing my normal day to day makeup, which is tinted, some block, a bit of a bit of concealer, under the eyes of some mascara and tech. I'm done. But no ways, you don't like you've made a bit of an effort today if I went too far in my normal workplace, which I come to, you know, but when I arrive at work at the university, I would stick out like I saw Thumberfies with a lot of makeup. There's a lot of really academic people there who are more busy doing research, right, But when I was doing a little putting a little bit of concilla, I was thinking, wouldn't it be so great if just dark eyes, like dark light rings, everyrinkles could be made really fashionable and we wouldn't have to do this. But I put a little bit of pon and what else, a little bit of concealer, and I found that my daughter had left lots of brand new miscarras. You know, she's gone to university, and she'd left all the mascaras and the things I had fun with. That.
Speaker 3: Yeah, beautiful skin, though, it makes such a difference.
Speaker 1: Good skin. There you go, put that effort into the skin and there you go. I'm still work, still working on all of that. But look, I mean, I've recently done a twenty first album for my son, and I looked back and I thought it was impossible not to see myself age over the twenty one years and just the changes and stages of life. Do you think I makeup should change as we get older.
Speaker 3: Or it definitely needs to change. I mean, I still meet people that still win makeup from the eighties and nineties, and sometimes it's the colors that aren't that fashionable. Actually, they're just you were looking for products that make you look youthful, and that's it. So you know, something that's going to make your skin look youthful, the colors that are going to enhanch eye color, but not drag your eyes because everything, gravity, menipause, all the things through middle age, you know, fighting against you looking particularly fabulous. So you can use makeup as a tool to enhance the things that you love about yourself and to hide the things, like you know, under eyebags. For me, like may, I've got sun spots, but I don't conceal them. I put my foundation on and for me that's enough concealer, because to conceal them, I have to put something heavy on and that can actually just be more aging. So a lot of it is the texture of the products that you use and the type of colors. So like the heavy black, I still see people that do the heavy black eyelighter. Unless you've got really large eyes and a good eye area, they will just that would just make your eyes look smaller and it's actually really harsh. You actually look older. So you need to go for browns and softer shades. But again I'm saying, you know, for black, you can just putting it on the outer corners, so instead of circling the whole eye and a heavy black. Or if you do a wing, that's fine, if you can still have an eye that hasn't you know, dropped down to your bottom cheek.
Speaker 1: My wing's okay, your wings are fine. I can't see you, don't.
Speaker 3: You've got very little wings, darling, very so you could actually you could actually wing, you could wing it up.
Speaker 1: I have never mastered the top the eyeliner thing, and I do remember those days of putting it on your down here.
Speaker 3: I could, and it's still that's quite rock sheep. But you've just got to make your eye look bigger if you're going to do that, if you have smaller eyes.
Speaker 1: I noticed the latest trend is the young people are putting a little bit of cello tape out from their eye in order to get the line right for the wing to come out. They're using it as a guide, which wasn't well, it's sensible to stick of the tape on your face.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the thing. You don't want to be doing that after you put your foundation on. It's the sort of thing you do before you put your foundation. So if you're not going to be wanting to peel half your work off once you put your tape off, but to be fair, whatever works. If that works for you to get a straight line. You know, there's a lot of different techniques, and those that have more experience will do something in one fancy line. I still do everything in small increments, and I you know, I take forever because I'm a perfectionist as well.
Speaker 1: So and to get.
Speaker 3: Both sides exactly right, it's hard. So put in a bit of tape there equally as used as a guide.
Speaker 1: You know, you're right, It is quite hard to do to go for one side. You've got to be more dominant and when you're doing it yourself.
Speaker 3: And half the time the easiest thing to do is to kill your lashes or even put your mascara on first. Well this is for people at home, and actually look straight into the mirror and add your flicking first. And all you want is that flick to start from where the last slash is and just make that an extension of the last lash, moving up or slightly out whatever's going to flatter. So if you can do that first, then you close your eyes and then you fill it in. But you need to be able to see what you're doing. There's no point trying to put a flick with your eye clothes and not frigguring out watch angle.
Speaker 1: It's going to suit you have it. You know. Now this is a bit of a middle aged issue, but as my eyesight's going and I wear glasses, that's really interesting trying to work after you know what you have to do.
Speaker 3: Lenses, contact lenses, no times ten mirror as much as so cruel. It is going to be your best friend for even getting rid of straight hairs, eyebrow hairs and stuff.
Speaker 1: You actually you need that.
Speaker 3: Yeahs, just make sure you're in a room where there's lots of white walls and natural light. And then if you're looking everything's diffused, babes, and just don't do it in a down lit bathroom or something. You would never leave them your lock self in the house.
Speaker 1: I think most people, like even a young person, doesn't like looking at themselves in ten times, do they? So you know, we should probably give a salves a break. But I'm just making a list of things I don't have that I can have, like an eyelash killer. Actually I don't mind the I don't mind the magnified mirror, especially with the eyebrows. It's kinde of fun. It's like, oh my goodness, right, that's that's what's going on. Yeah, get into it. Why does it feel like, all of a sudden you sort of hit an age where the makeup doesn't stay on your face the way it did. Is it just our aging skin or is it makeup? Is it? Well, it can be all of them above.
Speaker 3: It really depends because there's a lot of people that don't put a lot of prep into their skin, so they're not big on moisturizers and cleansers, you know, or different types and as you get older, I've always been a big fan of products made by dermatologists, and you can get them at different price range because farmers even sell products, you know, and make a the sell product a cheap range and then you've got you very high end. But I always find dermatologists know more about the skin. So I have a mix of different brands that are used. Like I'm not a I don't in any way use one brand for anything.
Speaker 1: I only use brands.
Speaker 3: That have a protected product that I like, So I mix it up and I will mix up price points for everything's skin care and makeup as well. But it's having a really good skin, so that's but it's also diet you know, we hit middle age with the environmental things, you know, the sunbathing in our seventies and eighties. That oopsie daisy, there's more sun spots that's turned up five twenty years later. So we've got a lot of factors. Our diet, how much water we ding, all of that makes such a difference. Moisturizing is for me, is the biggest morning and night and the one thing I've always found that a lot of people don't do is they moisturize on a dry skin, and it should be a damp skin because that locks the moisture and you'll notice a massive difference just in the the hydration of your skin. Pin moisturiser night and day onto a damp skin. So just after a flannel you've jumped out of the shower, there's a light pats that's still damp like a kid. You know. I've had so many clients that have just gone, oh, my makeup sticks, because the worst thing when wearing foundation is a dry skin because even if you're using a light foundation, it just grabs and you can see it just sits in the texture of that dry skin and it's really aging.
Speaker 1: That's really interesting because I was going to ask you about, you know, do we need you hear a lot about primers and fixes and all these things. Do you want to put whatever you want to most it's on top of a moisturized skin, whatever that might be, and it's good to let it sit so it's good.
Speaker 3: Like you might have a shower, put your moisturize on, go and have breakfasts to come back and then put your foundation and stuff on. And the thing is, if you even wait two hours having moisturized damp skin, your skin stool is smooth and lovely. Whereas you put it on dry skin in an hour, your skin's all just dry and crunching, and your foundation sits badly on your skin. And hormones do different things as well. Because you want lighter foundations. You want you don't want the heavy, heavy foundations. You know, good bye, there's shadey cake from Day's gone by, But we want you know, softer so tint to moisturizers actually go if you've got a good skin. It's actually nice on older skin and foundations that.
Speaker 1: Have a little bit more of a jewy texture. And there's a lot out there. There's a lot of.
Speaker 3: Different brands that do a jewy that are also slightly longer wear. But I tell you what is the biggest thing for moving you make up? Is that touching your face?
Speaker 1: Oh, just doing that.
Speaker 3: You're touching your face and it's the same as licking your lips, and rubbing your lips will get rid of lipstick in five seconds. And I have clients that never rub their lips, and I can kid you not. They can have just normal lips and gloss and two hours later they still have it on.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, I'm lucky to get past fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: But that's all it does. People don't even realize that they do it. But touching your face is the biggest because you've got oils in your fingers, so as soon as you got your hands, you're lifting everything off that you every time you touch.
Speaker 1: I was having a giggle when you said that about about not using the same brands, because I'm a shocker. I get a bit intimidated. And you know, say I like a gloss from one brand, I'm like, okay, I'm here now, I'll buy everything from that brand. And I don't tend to look around because I mean, you won't get intimidated in Mecca. But the first time I went into Mecca, I was just like, what the But.
Speaker 3: At least with the girls at Mecca, they're trained well, they know their products, they know you know all the products ahead as a consumer going in, it's just asking them the right question, this is what I need, this is what I have problems with, and then they give you you know, then they give you the choices. And I would always, especially with foundation foundations the hardest. That's the way you know, it covers your whole face. That's the one you don't want to make a mistake with. I would always just ask for samples, so you go home, you try it, you don't buy anything.
Speaker 1: Because they've just said this is it.
Speaker 3: So I'll have a trial of that one trial of that one, and you get at least two days or so where see how it feels on your skin, see how it lasts on your skin. Primers are good at setting things. There's some great primers out there for older skin that have like blurring. I've just bought one that I use my kitten for myself from Stiller and it's a it's a long stay blurring primer and sometimes you can put that primer on before you put your foundation to help it sort of stick to the skin and then apply it after. But this one has a bit of a blurring, so it makes the skin. Just look at that little bit smooth. All the tricks you can use at this stage.
Speaker 1: You just go for it. And we're not talking. So when you're talking about foundation, you're talking about whatever type of foundation we choose, whether it is attentive moisture, it's the broad, the long, weir ones. You don't want heavy. This is the thing.
Speaker 3: You've got to be careful. You want something that's a medium to light coverage. Anything too heavy if you've got lines or things that just grabs, and if you don't have good skin, it's even worse. And while we're on foundation, the other thing that has changed a lot and a lot of people don't realize is that we all wear were that. You know, when we get to in our fifties, from having our years of some bathing, our skin's got a bit yellower, our bodies are a bit more tanned. We might not be some bath in our face, but our bodies are darker than our face or you've got the fake ten on. And so what I still see is woman wearing foundation. That's way too light. They are still matching to this face, and naturally you should be matching to your declotage. Like if you've gone to Barley and come back super super dark, you don't want to maybe go that dark on your face because then you just look and look a bit. You know, it looks a bit weird, but you want to go you want to look at your chest color and match. That mean you have to take it down your neck. Yeah, put this fake tan up your neck a bit.
Speaker 1: But because I'm covered in fake tan and I've got a little bit of sun on my neck. So but normally I'd be tanned on my oh my chest, quite part of my face. The neck never gets in it. So it's quite hard, as you say, to bring it a week all the way down to that. So the secret because.
Speaker 3: Most people get a little white patch, so you take it and almost like a v Okay, So if you wear in a collared shirt like this, I would actually possibly put it on and then just take your foundation and lightly Again, I don't ever put anything on very very heavy, and if I need to, I use a pressing motion. But on my neck I just quickly lightly brush and so it's not necessarily as heavy as what's on your face, but you're bringing that color or you just chuck a bit of bronzer. It's hard, you know.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you do need a winter foundation and a summer foundation, you know, but what.
Speaker 3: You don't want is little white head on a brown body because it just makes your face look look.
Speaker 1: That's very interesting, but it washes you out. Yeah, because I think we do go Oh, I've always been the whatever branded is number four, right, and it's probably not necessarily true because things change and.
Speaker 3: Also formulations always improving always, you know, like I used to be Loreal's makeup director for ten years, and I know that they've got like I have three thousand scientists that are most of them are women, and they are always trying to find formulations to do the job better. So sometimes you get stuck on the same brand. You're missing out on something that can be better. So when you run out of a product, go and have a little look around it. So go into you see what you get those samples.
Speaker 1: That's confusing because there's just been so many changes, hasn't there Do you remember the Moose makeup? So are they still Moose Foundations? I'm sure someone's still.
Speaker 3: It was the very dewy jew And the thing is all of that, it's still in.
Speaker 1: None of it's you just still find it.
Speaker 3: I mean you can watch you know, your social media and your magazines, and you'll see different trends, but ultimately it's what looks best on you. Yeah, when you get to a certain you can play around and do all that stuff when you're younger, but when you get older you can have fun with your eyes. You know, if that's still you and you own that, it always works. But if you try and do something that doesn't suit you just because you're trying to be in fashion, you just just work.
Speaker 1: That's so true because it should be. It's a way for us to express ourselves, isn't it, and feel comfortable with ourselves, and we should be able to it shouldn't be hard and fast rules about it. But I think all of us probably got to a point where we went, maybe I'll just reassess what I'm doing here a little bit and without being judge, E, what is the biggest mistake you see on middle aged women?
Speaker 3: Is it the foundation, foundation, the texture of it, you know, the type of product they use and the color. Yeah, Yeah, the other big mistake and I'm not looking.
Speaker 1: At you two girls. I'm looking down at the counter. Oh no, it's not wearing blush. Ah, all right, well, no, that's perfect because it's not that I wouldn't wear blush. It's that I don't know where to put it anymore because my cheekbones aren't the way they used to be. So and also, like my daughter puts it like way up here or and that's and that's a good place.
Speaker 3: You see, I've still got I've got high cheekbones, and and so mine it's almost like sort of slightly from the temple down under the eye, you're right, And and it depends on where your cheap bones are sitting, because obviously we used to be used to smile, but as you get older, you might smile, but then when you don't smile, your cheek's quite.
Speaker 1: In the same place, so you don't want your blush.
Speaker 3: So it's just a sort of along the upper cheek bone, across the cheekbone, so you can feel where your cheekbone is. So if you do not, if your cheekbone doesn't, you know, if you don't have that like high apple, then you'd just let it bleed blend off the se you're talking about right beside the eyes would be yeah, right.
Speaker 1: Right side sort of up yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fring Chesca has got high cheek bow so you can see.
Speaker 1: And then and then it leads into my bent. Then I've done it and then I'm like, oh no, it's now my grapes.
Speaker 3: It depends on again, you've got you've got a choice of you've got creams, you've got powders, you've got gels, and a lot of it is how you apply it. So sometimes having a blush brush, having the right brushes, like if you want to do fingers, you could just use a lipstick and tap it in there. And then it's all about pressure. So the more the harder you press, like if you have a brush, the more intense pigment transfer you're going to get. So start with very light motions and then you just get it and then you can push a little bit firmer until you get the color. But if you go jam brush straight into your face. And the size of the brush, so if you've got a brush that's you know as a bigger like a blush brush.
Speaker 1: Actually asked for a blush brush. It is the right size.
Speaker 3: So again, if you have a blush brush that's too big obviously going to cover too much of your face and not the area. If it's too small, you're going to take forever and then you're just going to get it a little bit, you know, not even.
Speaker 1: So, But again, there'd be someone who you could sort of ask advice. They can look at the size of you cheekbones and say this, yeah.
Speaker 3: Because you do get different size blush brushes.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so I got sold in a shop the other day a while ago. I got sold in the shop. So I'm not wearing blash hairt. But I've got a little bit of contouring, yes, under yes, I think it's under the cheakbone. I think when you get older we should we be contouring like with Kardashians, or should we be doing it very Again, it all depends on your face shape. Okay.
Speaker 3: So if you've got a good high cheekbone, so good you know, cheakbone area, then yes, you can come all the way through. And actually I always find it's better to apply it sort of low along the lower yes, not in the hollow.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: And then there's you know a woman whose faces get a little bit more gaunt. Yep, you know, you've already probably losing from you don't want to make it look more shallow, So again you just come up to a smaller so wherever you can see your sort of cheekbone, just come through there and then.
Speaker 1: On top across across, okay, so along the bone. Okay.
Speaker 3: So I always find this is me personally when I work, and I always use like a bronzer, a mat bronze, and nothing too warm, nothing too cool. I mean, I use all differences, but for a client, if I was getting a client to do their own, I just use a bronzer, a soft bronzer. Starts softly. You can always make it a little bit deeper.
Speaker 1: And what I do is I go through the bottom of the bone, and it's almost straight.
Speaker 3: Across from the air, from the middle of the air across, and I then actually blended up and almost like a triangle. So it blends up more towards the temple and then narrows and then you just your blush goes over over top of it pretty much through through the top. So you just get a little bit of a shape because you want it to be subtle, you know, you want to I mean, when I love a clever makeup on social media and stuff, but half of that average woman can't be seen in daylight and it has not got unless you've got a filter or you're carrying some studio light around with it.
Speaker 1: And I say that still all the time. I say, I want to look like I'm low maintenance, but it actually is quite high maintenance to look maintenance.
Speaker 3: But you get faster. It's just it's practice. Yeah, So like I would just still do blush, but he said, you might find that you know a pellette that does lips and blush, and actually you can just put in a bit of blush on the eyelids. Is a really cheap way of making the eyes, especially you've got blue and green eyes, of making them pop without the whole shebang of of using eyeshadow and then just some scarra. I think brows are probably the thing that people, you know, if you're gonna, if you're gonna put the effort into putting makeup on and do something, make sure the brows look good.
Speaker 1: I don't know whether it was you or somebody else at TVNS many years ago, but we would always have to put When I went on to come and do breakfast, I was sort of put a bit of a base on. I'd attempt to do my own makeup and then and then, bless you and your team, you would sort of make me look more camera ready. Honestly, you girls will always just like brows. Frame the face, Francesca, let's get into those brows. Brows fameus, frame face. And I'm now passing that on to my sixteen year old daughter, who was fine and the Pennies. Dropping brows is so important.
Speaker 3: They really do, because if you don't have a nice brow and you've done anything else, it really stands out.
Speaker 1: So now, I mean, this is the million dollar question because brows also seem to be impacted by age. Obviously, my daughter's got the most luscious sort of brows. If you can't be bothered using a brow brush every single day or a color on your eyebrows, which is we've just gavered, I am but lazy. What's the best seemi permanent solution.
Speaker 3: Is it the micro relating or now this is I don't like teddy eyebrows, So I'm the worst person to ask because professionally I don't love it a tety brow because when I'm working someone, I want to be able to do what I want to do. Once someone's got a teddy.
Speaker 1: That's it's permanent. I can't. I can't, you know, Like if I'm.
Speaker 3: Working with models or working with something for a magazine, I want to be able to create what I need to create to create that look. But if someone's got a tattoo in there. And also I've seen some beautiful jobs, but they don't it doesn't seem to last. And everyone that does it is created equal as well, because I've seen some that have just messed up the shape of it, you know, Yeah, made the eyebrows lot, you know, made the eyes look closer together because I've come too far. And then I've seen someone they turned green and also you've got green eyebrows because the pigment change.
Speaker 1: It all depends.
Speaker 3: You've got to be really very careful and do a lot of work and have a lot a look of before and after. But again, it always looks good when you've gone to someone that's an expert, when it's been done two months down. Maybe not as much I'm as are not. I don't want to be putting people off, you know, try and stuff like that if it really works for them, you know, by all means. But I've I also found that, you know, people that have done it more than once the brows that they do.
Speaker 1: Have start to fall out.
Speaker 3: Now that's again, you know, that's something you talk to your the professional worth that occurring.
Speaker 1: But so maybe tinting, maybe tinting the way to go.
Speaker 3: But there's also products now like bulldlashes that bull brows.
Speaker 1: And my daughter bought me yourself for Christmas, and it does, and it does. I have seen really good results from it. I've got to be a little bit careful though, sometimes buying into those. You know, he's a lip gloss that's also going to pump up your lips. And I was in a large makeup store recently and I put a little bit on my finger and I tried it, and I'm not kidding. Ten seconds later, I was emptying my handbag on the floor of the shop, trying to find an antihistamine as my lips started swelling like you wouldn't believe. I basically locked like I'd either one been punched in the lips or in the face or I just got really bad fillers. And it happened immediately, so you have an allergic reaction to it.
Speaker 3: I did it was it because sometimes they use like a cane or chili.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was one of those ones that they say, we're going to pump up the you know, the volume in your lips. Well it certainly did. They were huge. I mean I couldn't kind of palk on with my and of course my daughter's going, what are you doing? This is really embarrassing, and I'm like wiping it off my face as far as I got and taking pills in the shop, and I was like, you know, that was quite funny.
Speaker 3: Maybe those that take anti historg.
Speaker 1: I have heard of people sometimes having problems with the things that they put on their leshes and brows to grow them faster. My brows never really came back exactly the same after chemo, so and I totally like, I did all sorts of things to have brows when you're having chemo, because you sort of you can live with with the you know, losing your hair and maybe we're aweg or whatever. But the brows were quite hard. And actually, not that long ago, when I was having a big clear out, I found all of the what do you call those things the things that you put across to them fill in like a little stens like so I found all of that and I was like, maybe I should just use those again. Well, the thing is, some of those stances work really Yeah, They're quite good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so for people that are just you know, don't know what shape to make them, because I have a few clients who got really really fear or not many you know, eyebrows are fallen out as are really fun so and I will always rebuild the shape of their brows to look sicker and whatever, just with a pencil or powder or whatever. But yeah, there's all sorts of things. I'm great with Google because you can find and you know, if you're not spending too much money, But do youfinite need the brow hair growth. I'm a big fan of people. I have brows, and I think I've always had them. I just just only realized, and I don't know how many years ago that mine stick out. Kind of reminds me of my intermediate teacher.
Speaker 1: We used to call spock. But mine, well, they come out like the front, they stick out.
Speaker 3: I found some really good brow laminating gels, and Laurer Paris have a really amazing one. I'm just so gourb and I use a soap brow as well. Bay brow, which is like a gel and just helps flat and actually that can help thick. Can you make you if your slashes, lashes, eyebrows are long dish, then you can make them stand up higher to give that thicker browl lock. So it's really good for that. And then you can just sort of fill in the gaps lightly with a powder with a pencil. And again when you're using pencil, just use a really light touch and then use your spoolly on the back of it just to blend it in.
Speaker 1: But how do you know which color to use?
Speaker 3: Okay, so color, what you actually want is to go a couple shades lighter than your natural brow color.
Speaker 1: So if I if you have black brows, I'd go with a meat a brown. Oh.
Speaker 3: Yes, you want it to be lighter because when you're actually adding it in, it will darken as you apply it, so if you go over top of it. So if you have something that's too dark and you're you know, putting stroke after stroker is just.
Speaker 1: Going to get darker and darker.
Speaker 3: And you do not want to look like you don't want your brows to be the first thing you see when you walk into a room. Brows, Yeah, brows first, and so if you're really fair, then you go, you know, a couple shades darker.
Speaker 1: There's a theme appearing here. You've seen more than once, you know, start lighter and just keep applying. And actually that's so sensible, isn't that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you just you just don't go and go gun high with anything, just to you know, just do baby steps, baby steps.
Speaker 1: Here's a funny story about tenting. I tint my eyebrows and I do it at home because it's, you know, a affordable way of doing it. And I put it on one day and then I got a little bit distracted and something happened and I had to get into my phone and the facial recognition wasn't working. It was going, I do not recognize your face. I do not recognize your face. And I was like, why isn't my phone not recognizing my face? It's really weird. They're like, oh no, And about seven or eight minutes had passed, not two, and I realized that I had my very heavy dark tinted I die on my eyebrows, so they were particularly dark for a week or two. Yeah, I know, that was a that was quite lesson there. Lemon juice just pay attention to what they're doing, one thing at a time. You're listening to the little things in Our guest on the podcast today is make our Artist Lisa. That's and we'll be back shortly after this break. What do you make of the you know, the kids doing like the thirty five step type. Okay, just snuff it.
Speaker 3: That's just that's just that's a whole social media engagement thing, right, it is so unnecessary, and you know it just gets like artists, girl, oh god, you just don't need all of those steps to get you know, to.
Speaker 1: Get No, if you've got a teenage kid or somebody, you know, how do you how do you override that message with them? Because they're spending a lot of money as well.
Speaker 3: They have a side of it too, is that they've already now you know, the social media have now worked at all the algorithms that this that your daughter looks and only be sending that stuff so she won't even see the lighter the alternatives. But even then, if she likes the makeup, like Kim Kardashian, her makeup artist is really good, and actually they've they've stripped them right back to putting not much on like they do a little bit of a They do all their contouring first and then it's really light foundation. So it's it's just having a look at some of the other makeup artists that are doing the type of makeups and you see that their process is actually.
Speaker 1: It's not one hundred and one steps.
Speaker 3: You know, you can do the moisturis and they might do a primer based on you know, it might be something for the tea zone, your skins early, but actually it's not one hundred like, yeah, it's really I find it really sad because it's great, but it's not real life thing that looks particularly good. I mean, you still probably photograph get some good photos, but in real life when I see young girls in stores, half the time I got, oh god, no, you're you know, you're seventeen and you look about forty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all them, it's really really.
Speaker 3: Aging instead of just looking beautiful. And then they're going to you know, we get to look back as sales looking youthful and gorgey.
Speaker 1: They're going to look back and.
Speaker 3: Go, shit, I've missed that whole generation of looking famine young.
Speaker 1: I was always told growing up as well, and I think that this was a ploy that my mother had to not so that I didn't wear a huge amount of makeup when I was younger. She's always he's got to have a couple of days without, you know, makeup free. Does that beneficial to the skin?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yes, yes, and I in fact, I love the first thing I do when I get home is take my makeup off.
Speaker 1: I love the feeling of no makeup on.
Speaker 3: And even if I have clients that come to my home, you know, no matter who they are, if it's a weekend and I've said, you know, year, some people do you make up, I will always pretty much not have any makeup on. The first thing I say when I come to us, so apology's I'm having a makeup free day because you're coming to my home. So if I'm out, I'll make an effort. But if I'm at home, you know, I look at myself. I a good, good God in his mind. But it's really good for you too, I think to have breaks from wearing, you know, lots and lots of makeup.
Speaker 1: Can I throw a few quick fun of things at you? Just before we wrap up, Lisa, we spoke a lot about foundation is concealed the same in the use of it, making sure it's put on and moisturized area.
Speaker 3: So I always do conceal on top of the foundation foundation, and then you've got different concealers that work better for different areas. Soundly, you want something that's actually got a little bit of a you know, it's really very creamy.
Speaker 1: Yep. I'm not into sort of cake concealers under the eye.
Speaker 3: We're talking about our age group two, because we want things that are that are looking.
Speaker 1: I've just touched my face again, maker, I was just going, has my concealer all migrated to my wrinkles? That's what I use. A creamy.
Speaker 3: I like something that's got a bit of reflect in it. It's very soft, and I actually apply my concealer mainly just through you know, where you've got the little the darker crescent. So I all dotted on there and then I sort of dot it down the side of my face and then I come up along the cheekbane I don't apply it heavily through the outer area of the pie at all. And the trick is, you know, you dab it on and bitter dab with a brush because or if you use your fingers, you kind of lift a lot of that off. You can always go back with your finger and dab on if you think you've gone to heavy. But I just pat along there until I've kind of got the cover, and then I lightly pat with what's left on the brush along the bottom of the eye, and then I do you know that cheek area around the.
Speaker 1: Corners of noice.
Speaker 3: So when you're getting a concealer for under the eye, you want something like two to three shades lighter yep than your foundation. You can also look at if you if you have particularly dark you know, purple cresentce, you might want something with a slight orange space, or you can put something underneath it with the slight orange brush to help just color that through. I just yeah, I'm just I'm not big on on heavy. I only use it if you want to cover a spot. You want something that lasts, and so you want again something that's a little bit heavy, but you still don't want it, cakey.
Speaker 1: My last quick fire question for you is how do I stop lipstick from bleeding into the my lip lines? Can I do that or not?
Speaker 3: Well, there's a few options. Gel lip liners yep, they so they stay on. You also probably better off with a matte lipstick. Over anything that's creamy. You could put a gloss, but you just want to put it through, dab it with your ring finger, just through the middle of your mouth, not hole lip. Or you could always try some sort of lip sealant lip seal it. I don't know what we have in New Zealand. I buy mine from overseas. You can just three Amazon or online. There's Meron have a good one, and there's one also cold. Oh haven't let me have a lot?
Speaker 1: Hang on?
Speaker 3: I love I just I wrote it just because you might, just in case, because this is something that I get asked all the time, and it's called made in a bottle and I actually use it on a client and so that one you have to get on overseas as well. I have and that stays on. So it's kind of like a long weird lipstick. But the only trouble with when you're doing like a sealant or long weir, because obviously you have the choice of long wear, is that it as really drying. You know, if you keep using it over and over again, your lips are stuck in dry. So you have to compensate that by putting balms on at night when you go to sleep.
Speaker 1: It's just nice lipstick again, and for it to stay on and not worry about it anyway. That they're all my self serving questions. I just want to know a BB cream still a thing and what are they for? Well, they are more for balancing out your skin tone. Okay, So you'll get different different shades based on your and and they all they're different.
Speaker 3: So they act like a sort of like a tinted moisturizer. Will they will have different benefits and so if you've got a reddish skin, they might have one with an undertone and redness. Or if you've got sallow skin, so then they normally skin perfectors.
Speaker 1: Okay, because I was using one and then somebody would say to me later in the day, oh you've got something, and it was all when it went on, and then it went powder in white later, so maybe I just need to try it.
Speaker 3: Well, probably just maybe one for people that need that want their skin to be a little bit paler, a little bit more like it really depends, like that is something that maybe Korean or Chinese skin tones k face, Yeah, I forgot about that, so you know, it depends what the product is and who who's it's targeted for and error.
Speaker 1: You've got that on a sample. That's such a great piece of advice as samples. So my other quick fire question is I do engage a bit of social media myself, and I have seen this thing of women as a rich in middle age and even younger taking their peach fuzz off their faces, you know, facial hair, facial hair fac and I've just wondered whether it's healthy, whether it's a good idea.
Speaker 3: Doesn't think you make up well, it makes you make it look amazing, right because without that the fuzz, your foundation just sits beautifully on the skin so it doesn't grab in the hair, and which sometimes can highlight that because ultimately it's in the different lights. It's whether you really care where people see you in different light and you sometimes don't even see the hair.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a lot more than just the each of us here.
Speaker 3: We have to worry about it at the stage, isn't that girls? So you know, if you're not pulling those out, or you can go and do the derma planing. You can now you can buy those blades I think from farmers is like chemistweehouse and stuff, or you can get it done professionally, and when they do it professionally, you're actually taking sort of dead skin off as well.
Speaker 1: Dead skin cell.
Speaker 3: Actually makes your skin look quite amazing from what has been said from professionals. My sister she does a parents medicine and she does that process and she swears that your hair doesn't come back thicker. You're not going to end up with a bed or look like your husband or you know whatever. So we just hope we take her I take her word as gospel, but I actually use I have a little rotating blade. It's just a little facial one. It's like something fifty something dollars that I've got from farmers. It lasts about a year or two and then you've got to get a new one. The blades there and I just do that just to just over anywhere where I can see a little bit of longer hair.
Speaker 1: And I will just use that as well just to.
Speaker 3: Look well, yes, above your love anywhere, down the side of your face anywhere. And sometimes I'll just even use it just above my temple with my you know, just and like nothing's ever. And I've been doing that for about I don't know, two or three years, and nothing's nothing's come grown back more. What's it called to it just saying you know I haven't yeah, great.
Speaker 1: So what was that called? I can't remember.
Speaker 3: It's a rever one thing. It's just I have no Now you ask me the hard questions. I didn't look that way.
Speaker 1: It's some of the makeup.
Speaker 3: But you can you can.
Speaker 1: Well you just if you just google here removal, you should. It should come up.
Speaker 3: And I've got mine from Farmers. I'm pretty sure it was a little rev It's this teeny tiny little thing. It has a little light so if you're using your times tender, you can see what you're doing, what you're taking off. And it was I think it was about fifty nine dollars.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good from you.
Speaker 3: And and again you've got to get a couple of years out of that and you just replace it.
Speaker 1: And this is what you call micro bleeding.
Speaker 3: Well, no blade, dem blading is like a blade.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: So I feel for those that maybe with the shaky coffee hens you might be better off with the with the little machine I see, and you can get different ones, but this one's tiny, tiny, like can fit in your pocket, so it does make a massive difference.
Speaker 1: I much prefer that idea to bleaching a moor or using other to get electrochemicals.
Speaker 3: You can get electronic yeah right, but that is that is painful, but.
Speaker 1: These are now more accessible for more womens.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, So this is just on a daily but if you really wanted to get rid of any of that, it's elctrolysis and you'd have to go quite a few times to actually but it was. It permanently removes any facial hair.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Okay, all right, I'm to look into that and very quickly. Miscara, What is the best kind of mascara to use and what is the best way of getting it off?
Speaker 3: Well, again, it's it depends on your eyes, your eyes shape, what.
Speaker 1: Sort of lashes you have.
Speaker 3: If you're using your less sherms and stuff, you can just use a normal misca because there's so many choices of muscara and you know, with different brush sizes and different formulations, and ultimately it's what what you want if you want the thicker, longer lashes than you might you know, I always I again, Laurel Press have a massive rage and I always just get said, you know, how.
Speaker 1: Come they've got so many?
Speaker 3: Because no one person wants the same thing, and you know they have teny tiny brushes, you know, so that, like the telescope is great because it's easy if you have you know, you've got trouble with seeing. You're not having this big brush come towards your face and it gives length. But for me, I like, I don't have the longest lashes anymore, but I religiously kill them every day and found that standard mascarras will not hold a kill. And the only way I can get that killed to hold in when I'm working on fashion shows or anything like that is with a waterproof mascara. But the other side of you, is it a waterproof muscara is it's not necessarily very good on your lashes wearing that on a daily but I don't. But I use a cleanser that takes it off easily, so like an oil based cleanser. I think Laura Paris have a really good waterproof make it Move it does. Also long Whee lipstock. Neutu Gena had a really good one. Or you can go with something like a Dermalogica, have a pre cleanse oil, or even just cleansers with an oil base, or you could just try olive oil or viotamine e oil at home, but you have to break that down first before you clean it off with a flannel or anything. You need to multify that. And that's just like coming underneath with your finger or cotton cotton pad and just almost bring it up under your top lash and bottom lash and closing your eyes on it and just rotating it slowly to break it down.
Speaker 1: Because a lot of people's letting your eyelash just sit on it and then it would just.
Speaker 3: Rub the top and they wonder why they have transfer the next day.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 3: Under and breaking it down, okay, And that's what you need to do. But also using like an oil based remover or products. I always find that that actually helps with your lashes too. It probably does just the health of your lashes. And also you know a lot of you know, Korean mascaras and are also very good for holding the curl because it's no point curling your lashes just for having to drop because some scara is a little bit too wet. But that's that's what works for me and then my other and we're talking about mascara. The other thing that I see with a lot of people get you know, the Pandora's or the smudging which happens when your lids drop, your lashes drop and they sit on the lower lash, lower eye area, which is quite an oily surface anyway, And that's using a tube mascara. So my favorite is that Kevin Quam volume of scara they do curling one turn. I use that for all my weddings or anyone that has problems with mascara transfer, and that just comes off with water. It's like a little tube, but there's no smudging.
Speaker 1: What's or ever? Was that? It's amazing? Yeah. I've had problems with blissypherritis and prone to stars, so I learned very early to either not wear it or if I wear it, to take it off. But I'm just wondering about those thirty five step teenagers. Are they doing the same putting the same effort to taking it all off? I hope, So, I hope, So you know, you want they need to. We didn't have that much stuff, so you know they might find it our age. They have no lashes or eyebrows or anything left at all. So I would, yeah, I definitely would make sure that the cleansing is just so important and never let never let your teenager go to bed with full makeup on that. It's going to be happening all over at universities right now, I suspect. So, Lisa, we've spoken about, you know, when you're looking for something, talk about to ask for something that suits your requirements. As you say, I'd like I'd like a lighter foundation, I'd like a creamier concealer. Potentially, are there any brand recmdations though, or is it just a matter of going in and grabbing as many samples or trying things as possible. It is a bit of a trial era.
Speaker 3: And the only reason I say that is because what works on my skin may not work on your skin, may not work on your skin. So there's a lot of brands out there and going into somewhere like Mecca or even Farmers. You know, Mecca probably have also for or probably have more experienced. The staff have been trained a little bit more into actual products and things. Again, a lot of them are half your age, so potentially may not look for the oldest one in there.
Speaker 1: Advice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know, and that's the thing, that's why you want to take it home, That's why you do not want to buy based on someone else's opinions because they do not know your skin, and you just really have to it's a trial in air.
Speaker 1: But the main thing is get your dirty little mets off your face.
Speaker 3: And you're probably and as long as you've got the right color, it will last a lot better.
Speaker 1: Or you get yourself a prime to help last a bit longer. But yeah, Lisa, even though I feel like I've been told off a little bit, it has been wonderful to catch up with you and have you in here, and you've given us some hope that you know, we can still you know, find good products and feel fabulous and where whatever we want. And of course John, yeah, no, it's gone. Me feel enthusiastic about it again, you know. And those tips and tricks are just clever. I've got a very long shopping list.
Speaker 3: Now just make it work for you, whatever's easy for you, so you know, when you go in to see someone and make it said, Look, I have five minutes every day. That's as much as I want to, but I want to make more of an effort. Do you have something that you know, like, like I said, the poddles that do blush lipstick and whatever one you know, the less you have to do the less products you have to use, the faster it will get done. And then it's just a little bit of practice and that mirror and that times ten mirror girls at times ten mirror.
Speaker 1: Yep, awesome, thank you so much. Welcome. Well that was fun. That was really fun fun. She's so nice. Ah, she's amazing, and I am just really good basic taps, right, But they're so funny because the things that I think you've nailed, do you suddenly go, oh, yeah, not quite. I was starting from a zero, but I haven't nailed anything. I can't even put glass on without telling me that someone telling me it's on my teeth. But then I just love the fact that we're all just creatures of habit, right. We just wear the same thing, do the same thing, and often kind of wonder why things don't get better. But I think what Lisa said was really interesting about products are always changing, so when you finish something, actually go in and be a bit more adventurous about it. Test things, fine samples, give it a whirl. I thought the mascara talk was really interesting about keeping the curl the cool, but also how to get it off. I can never get it off. No, that weren't really constantly removing makeup from underwey. And that's why I don't just put all God been whacking over my mind right around. I don't just transferring it. But I'm just transferring any so many little great pieces of advice. I can't even remember them all off the top of my head, but I have been sitting here making a shopping list of you know, it's not going to cost me. They is a bit like when we did the skin care thing. I'm going to be sensible about it and just get that get that mirror. Yeah yeah, get the mirror, and get some decent eyelash curlers. Give that another crack because they scare me a little bit. And work on just practice at home, have some fun with it, you know, practice a home about the way to put my blush and stuff. I see women who are perfectly made up all the time, and I just think, have you you know, they may they probably haven't spent heaps of time on it. They've just done it enough times. And that's the habit I need to get into. And it was also interesting hearing Lisa say, I say, look, why can some woman look amazing without makeup? And we went away at the end of Jam beginning of feb and it had a week down in sort of a central New Zealand of the North Island, and I did not wear makeup or look after my hair or anything for a week. I swim in a lake and I walked and had such a heavy time. I look like whoozlegammage by the end of the week. You know how some women look like they're just without makeup. They look so natural and fresh and gorgeous. I locked a Paul. I'd had a week off, week off, relaxing, having a lovely time, and I'm finishing into it. I look myself, went, oh, but it's all about the skin. Yeah, anything. Women who have great don't have pigment or have great skin or really moisturize in a really lovely skin tone. And I think too, we must remember lucky things, you But even though we don't, we're not having a cycle of zits and things anymore. Obviously, we still will have changes. We'll still have rosacea or or something else. So you know, the environment's not freely to us. So give yourself a break, and also just think about how much your skin enjoyed not having any makeup on it a week. Thank you so much for joining us on our New Zealand Herald podcast series, The Little Things. We hope you shared this podcast with the women in your life so they all know how to get them scatter off, probably because the blasher in the right place. You can follow this podcast on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and for more on this and other topics, head to ziherld dot co dot nz and we'll catch you next time on The Little Things.