Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk Sat B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Take it on at It's here, it is out, the Test is over, the smoke was a beauty, It is out.
Speaker 3: And here you goes.
Speaker 4: This delivery has in the usage the Gold.
Speaker 1: On the Front Foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talks head B at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 4: Hello, We're back on the front foot and the review of the World Test Championship Final. It delivers a surprise winner or was it staged at Lord's? Apparently a sellout allow on the opening of two days. It's seen therever plenty of spare seats. Was a Test quality cricket fourteen wickets on day one on day two? Was it the pitch or was it technique? It was it top class following from both sides? Had the gloss gone from the Ossie top automatic? Another cricket. We've got a New Zealand a women's team heading for England for developmental experience. Good stuff and remember this takes a peek back fifty years for a unique New Zealand performance.
Speaker 3: Bear with me on the front foot.
Speaker 4: Here he goes.
Speaker 3: The bouncer.
Speaker 4: Despite what the ICC cheerleaders previously known as Test Crickets would tell you, it wasn't the brilliant finale for the World Test Championship, the pinnacle game. That's my view anyway. Even after the coin toss, which was made to look like the climax scene from Ben Hur, it took to the third day to see any batting of quality. We should have seen better from the two Test teams. One of them hadn't played for five months, the other four little build up. Oh boy, Sorry Jeremy Kaney is with us. Sorry Jerry, but that's my view of the game show piece. Am I right or wrong? You can hit my bouncer for six.
Speaker 5: Hello Wads from England. The weather is actually nice and fine at the moment. I've come from from London up to by train up to a place called Ketthering which is on the on in the eastern side of England, and with a mate and so that's that's where I am at this morning speaking to you. It is morning here. That's an interesting idea you got, Wads. I thought the game itself and you talk about the conditions.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like two tests.
Speaker 5: The first test being the first two days, and the second test being so the last day and a third. Certainly you you have been, as I have to Lords a few times now. It's quite an intimate ground and the sense that you can kind of see people and if you if you're sort of sort of friend coming down from the other end, you can sort of wave out to him because you can actually see them. And it is quite close the whole ground. And that's that's how it feels, you know, that hum they talk about at Lord's Watch. You don't get that at many other grounds. And close can also be used as a description.
Speaker 3: I think of.
Speaker 5: The weather and you get here, I think in England that time between sort of spring and then going into high summer, and you get quite a closed and enclosed, close ground as well. And look, I just thought the first two days, the ball itself, as you know a new duke, does move around a little bit more susceptible, as every cricket ball is to barometric pressure. In other words, there's more pressure on one side of the ball and the other the ball starts to swing. And I just felt that all you know, you're right about the number of people.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a Teck there.
Speaker 5: I think the first couple of days it wasn't quite the numbers that they were talking about, But it's hard to overstate just how important the overhead conditions are at Lords in the first couple of days, low cloud preventing any moisture coming out of the ground, and they do water those grounds, you know, they make them look very nice on the telly and all that stuff. They like to see nice green grass, mowan in different ways and patterns, and so the moisture comes up out of the ground and if there's nowhere for it to go because there's low clouds and everything, and there was and so therefore was a good toss to win.
Speaker 3: It certainly does nip about. There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 5: And I do feel that both sides had a very much a reshaped top order, didn't they.
Speaker 3: And Australia they had Kwaja, but.
Speaker 5: He he who was really originally a middle order player, and they tried to outlast the movement I think Australia and so Kowaja was gone.
Speaker 3: They had a new opener in Lava Shane.
Speaker 5: They moved out that that movement of constance away from opening was meant two different changes didn't it.
Speaker 3: It meant Labashane going up.
Speaker 5: He'd never opened before in a Test match, and it meant bringing in cam Green who'd come from a second division you know, play over in England and was put up at number three where had never batted much before either. And so it wasn't until you got down to Steve Smith and also then to Head that you had two people in their usual positions. And I felt, I felt Rabada, I don't know what you think. I think he's quite a good bowler. Actually, I mean he's aker. Yeah, he's like a lies not the place of Malcolm Marshall, but he's kind of like that, but he seems that a bit more.
Speaker 3: He's at you all the time.
Speaker 5: And his five wickets in that innings in the first innings certainly sorted Australia out. C Smith about it quite well, didn't you think wads in those conditions?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and you would expect it from a man who hadn't played a lot of cricket. We were led to believe that. The point that I want to make and is both the sides were underprepared. They hadn't played any proper cricket. Now we understand the first day of a Test match, the ball is going to nip about and it's kind to swing. But on television I didn't sense that it was untoward. There were so many players beaten between bat and pad. I mean there was lbw's and the stumps were hit where to my mind, you've got to adjust your technique, don't you for first day because you know it's gonna you know it's gonna have a little bit of bounce, you know it's likely to swing. That to me is part of a Test cricket. Yet both sides looked below par with the bat.
Speaker 3: No, I don't disagree with that.
Speaker 5: I've just got to say, I'm afraid it's now a function of how we have moved away from openers, you know, a specialist position. We don't have those or many of them nowadays. What they are are middle order dashes, and we've created them into openers like Ben Duckett for example, or Crawley, both middle order players. You don't get those nuggety openers any longer. Who will you set out their stall and not get beaten on the inside edge, but in a bat in the pad, So you you know, the Langers, the Bruce Edgars, those kinds of players, you know Boone who came up as well and became an opener and then a number three as well. So they do not exist around in our test cricket. I don't think any longer. And I don't know how you feel a bit like that. It's like pole of bears wads. It's the habitat, you know, and they're being killed off just the same as the template nowadays is an opener who dashes and scrashes his way to a quick thirty off the first six or seven overs. That's how we've got openers now, and they are loose and in those conditions you get found out.
Speaker 4: And they're being picked for that. That's fair enough, that's what the selectors want. But you get back to the scenario. Oh that's how I play, so you know, I'll always be on a hiding to nothing at times. Every now and again it'll come off. But it's not, to my mind the sort of thing that you expect quality Test cricket. If you've played and they pay good money to get into the ground there at lords, don't they Oh yes, don't believe. I mean you you were in the middle of it, so you saw better than night and I'm watching from television. I just thought both sides were let down by poor batting against very good bowling. I mean, that's as good a bowling as there's going to be in any game, isn't the Aussie attack and also the South African attack. But to me, the first two game days twenty eight wickets banged Test match over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then we got the second Test, which is on the same one.
Speaker 3: If you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: As soon as those as soon as those low clouds dissipated and in came the sun. Man did that pitch just sort of it suddenly it looks straw colored and well on that third days, you know, four wichs only, that's right, and four wickets only fell. One was the number ten, one was a number eleven, for heaven say, and then and then of course two wickets to the new ball, you know, Rickleton, and then we Unmolder again, someone who's reshaping his position at number three. So there were lots of changes between these sides that they're not They weren't quite at their best. I agree with you about a warm up game. The Aussies don't agree with that. I brought that up in commentary and said don't you think these these two teams might have done a little bit better if they'd had a match before this? And the assie turned to me and said, no, we don't believe in that we practiced much better than playing in the game.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't believe that myself.
Speaker 5: I didn't answer, but my silence was supposed to project that I thought South Africa. Certainly they did have a bit of a match, I think, but yes, I agree with you. And the pitch itself didn't look you know, virulent green. They've got a new grounds there was. They don't have Mick Hunt any longer. He's an Irish feller and he what's his name, Carl McDermott is his name. And I'll tell you something else was you might know. There's a New Zealand girl who was also on that meg lay.
Speaker 3: She's from christ Church.
Speaker 5: She was an arable farmer doing pea harvests and things like that in christ Church and she decided that okay, I'm going to go to England and try and work. She loves grass and she got a job at Bristol and Gloucestershire under Seawan Williams and was there for a couple of years and then she went to Edgeburston and she was actually in charge of an all women's ground staff for the women's Ashes tests and the one that was there in Edgebison, so that was quite a nice touch all women playing in the Test match and in the Ashes and then in all women's ground staff there. And now she's come to Lord's Loves the job. She posts all the socials you know, and that's where you will have may have heard about her. But I just, I just I think it was great.
Speaker 4: That she was there.
Speaker 3: But I thought it was smart.
Speaker 4: Did you get a telephone number?
Speaker 3: Maybe I didn't. I'm sorry I didn't speak to her at all.
Speaker 4: We could have put her on the program or nice to have a child.
Speaker 5: Well, there's no reason why we couldn't. Couldn't do that, no reason at all. She actually goes to places like anfield, you know, where they play all the footy as well. So she's she's busy. She's a busy girl and she's doing very very well, very well.
Speaker 4: So that's great. We'll try and get hold.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, but just a quick thing on you know, I think it was smart of South Africa to have a crack first. It wasn't brave because the conditions were such as a bit murky and our best chance of winning the game is bowling first, and and it sort of suited it. But Middlesex also who play there, obviously at Lord, if you look at the way their county games have gone, if they've won the toss, they have batted second and fourth because they know that if they can last and get to a chase. In the last innings they were getting chases like three hundred and fifty and getting them, so they knew how the pitch was actually going. And obviously South Africa did as well. And that's what we saw happen. Man, we saw some interesting batting from South Africa. And that first innings, didn't we And that first first day twenty odd overs for forty runs or something. Man, I mean, I've never seen how labored they were. They simply couldn't score could they couldn't even get singles.
Speaker 4: They was extraordinary, much more aggressive line on the second morning, didn't they. It didn't die yet great degree, but they showed an intention that they wanted to score runs and compete rather than just occupy crease and make up the numbers. Having put the opposition and bowl them for just over two hundred. You know you're in you're in the box seat, aren't you.
Speaker 5: Well you are, you got to You've got a chance then, and they had. They had created that chance by bowling Osie out for just over two hundred and ten.
Speaker 3: But their scoring was imperceptible.
Speaker 4: It sort of is.
Speaker 5: They sort of treated their crease as a layer and they declined to come out of it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: They they yes, they needed to stay in. Every batsman needs to do that. But why why do you stay in so you can score runs? And they forgot about that part of the equation, it seemed to me. And you're right, Bavooma came out and batted with Beddingham and that first and news and at least they got to one hundred and thirty and are behind about by seventy odd runs. And then you know, and then in came Robarda again and instead of losing five wik it's quickly this time between Barda and and Geedee, who improved his performance. Suddenly they lost six wickets, didn't they And they were in trouble of not setting a total at all Australia until and if here's a posit for you, odds. If Australia on that third morning with a nice clear sky and the straw.
Speaker 3: Colored pitch, if instead.
Speaker 5: Of being eight down there only they are only five down, imagine what could have happened and changed in the game with the conditions changing, you know, they could have posted a hell of much a bigger total.
Speaker 4: Yeah, bearing in mind the batting of Stark, Yeah, you're probably right, but you look back at it and you've been around some of the Australians must or shouldn't they be worried about their batting lineup for the ashes coming up because it doesn't seem to me to have the fizz or sparkle that we expect. I know they'll be at home. Travis will be an important part, but what about Kowaja and they haven't you know, they may have constants, but he's got a bit of work to do to become an international opener, hasn't He is their top six vulnerable?
Speaker 5: Some of them are, and it tends to be at the top in my opinion. But there's lots of talk now wadds about that top order right now now, whether Green goes down and he starts to bowl, because I mean, at the moment that's why they had Bo Webster there because they needed another bowler to give the four a break, and Mitch marsh was the one who was there. Wasn't he against the India and he didn't bowl much because he got injured. So they're having to re kind of pick their side from the bowling point of view as well.
Speaker 3: But Kwaja, yes, is a question, Laboshine.
Speaker 5: There are questions they're talking about Inglis coming in all sorts of things they're talking about. They're creating middle order players Brian, as I said before, and shoving them up to open and forgetting that it is.
Speaker 3: It is a specialist position.
Speaker 5: You watch the line of the ball and it means that you might miss out on a few drives because the ball's full and you let it go and it misses the stumps.
Speaker 3: You know, those those kinds of things.
Speaker 5: Because you're a line player, you watches as it's going to hit the stumps first, if it's outside you're right eye, you let her go and that's how you start to learn to play the game. But they've got middle order players who are dashers, and that's that's an issue that they are having to confront. Kawaja seems kind of stuck in the prease, doesn't he.
Speaker 3: He doesn't seem to want to play a shot well anyway, has he? Not a big mover? Not a big mover?
Speaker 5: And then Lavashane, I look, he's just quite an eccentric player, isn't he? And then Green pushing forward towards the line. That's a middle order approach when the ball's moving around. I thought Smith played a very good innings in the first. In the first got about sixty odd, didn't he? But he was organized. He was waiting for the short ball outside off and he had put it away behind point or knock it on the on side when they tried.
Speaker 3: To hit his pads.
Speaker 5: So look, I think Australia do have issues. To answer your question, it's number one, two, three, they've got a four and a five. They're going to keep going with Smith in head at number six. Whether that's cam Green or not, we'll wait and see in seven carry. So that part of the order I think is okay. I was pleased that's South Africa one. I don't mind bowlers being in charge either wise. To be really honest with you, I think the game is a better game when runs matter, When you get a forty or a fifty, it counts, and we just didn't kind of have enough players to do that.
Speaker 3: And the bowlers.
Speaker 5: Were in charge in the first two days. And it shows you how batting has changed. And that's a lot of T twenty cricket. It's a lot of dashing cricket. And that's the cost that it comes with if you don't have a defense.
Speaker 3: So I don't mind that. I think you've got to choose your sides for test cricket.
Speaker 5: It's a much more demanding game, isn't it. And you've found out.
Speaker 4: YEP and Australia are going to be tested again, of course because they're going to the Caribbean and the MASA is going to Johannesburg. But they're not going to planning test cricket.
Speaker 3: So well, I wonder, I wonder, what's do you think?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 5: They might they've got it. They might put pressure on the South African cricket board to say, look, why aren't we going to play Look, let's invite someone over to play some tests, so all our you know, people who are who w then there were a lot of South Africans there, man, Yeah, and they have a little drink drink after the game and they will tell you what they were. They were fathers and sons, they were grandfathers and sons. You know, it was a generational thing and some of those kids will remember that day and we don't know just how keen they'll be on cricket, but they may well become South African players themselves.
Speaker 3: Who knows. You know what a little memory does for a young lad.
Speaker 4: So the South African, the South African cricket board have got to contain a load of Indian white balls which they have to use up. And that's going to get anyway their test cricket.
Speaker 5: Well, I do hope that that changes. I hope that they are able to get at least one team and encourage them to get one team so everybody can watch their winning side.
Speaker 3: And I was pleased.
Speaker 5: Look at all the rubbish that were spoken beforehand about these guys shouldn't be here, but that wasn't their fault. We know that, we know the failings of the World Championship. You know, different number of games, different it's just impossible. They're all judged by a percentage figure, not just points, they're percentages and so look, I was really pleased that they were competitive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well we're going to be. We're going to be hearing from one of your old mates, John Parker's going to talk about a record fifty years ago, Oh Daddy's World Cup. Yeah, that's going to be with us. And what I want to keep an eye on too, is the New Zealand women's a squad. Eight or nine White Ferns are in it. They're being coached by Brendan Donkers and they've also got some powerful coaching Peter Boren and also Craig McMillan. So I applaud New Zealand Cricket for sending those young ladies over there in New Zealand side, not the frontline players, but some of us you've had White Fern experience. We'll get a time over there. I think they start playing this coming weekend, so we'll follow that with interest. Jerick.
Speaker 3: I saw that sidewad or the or the squad.
Speaker 5: I'm delighted that they are doing that and continuing what we have been seeing about the development of younger players, making them into better players.
Speaker 3: And to have that many a coaches.
Speaker 5: Brendan Donkers of course, Canterbury the bowling coach, and then McMillan the batting coach. Those are good appointments. I think experienced, experienced coaches assisting some of not just development players who they've highlighted to say oh you could be you could be something. But secondly some of them, as you say, Fern's player and developing and continuing that as well. I think it's a nice mix and so well done New Zealand. We often don't say well done to New Zealand, we tend to criticize them a little bit, but I think they're important. They are very important tours, these ones and we might get suddenly two or three players and that's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Brian Waddell, Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 4: On the front foot with Jeremy Coney and Brian Roddell, thank you for joining us once again. Fifty years ago this week opening, Glenn Turner created a piece of cricket history. During the first ever World Cup. Turner scored the highest individual title in a One Day International, previously one hundred and sixteen by David Lloyd for England, Turner got one hundred and seventy one not out versus East Africa. It was a score that was to last eight years until June nineteen eighty three when cappal Dev did one hundred and seventy five against Zimbabwe. One man he must have had an important part in that and things was John Parker, who scored sixty six or sixty eight balls and a partnership of one hundred and forty nine with Turner after a labored beginning, a partnership that increased their tempo quite clearly, Parks joins us on the front foot once again. Nice to have you back with us, John. But the Turner runnings at Edgeburston it was a special innings as such, because in those days there was there was no sort of playbook for one day cricket as there seems to be today, wasn't it.
Speaker 6: Not at all?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Brian, thanks for having us. It's always good to join you and Jerry, at least in spirit.
Speaker 6: The Yeah, no, there was no there was no playbook.
Speaker 7: Because sixty over games they were then and East Africa were an unknown quantity.
Speaker 6: They were an interesting team, they were aged.
Speaker 7: They were experienced in whatever life brought to them, and the pitchers were just normal three day pitches that you happen to play sixty over games on.
Speaker 6: So yeah, it was a very different scene in those days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it came at a time too when I suppose scoring centuries in one day as wasn't a common occurrence. I mean New Zealand had had two previously. I mean the records start back in nineteen seventy one. I think Ken Wadsworth got the first and Congo got the second. Glenn Turner's won seventy one was the third. So it wasn't common practice even around the world, was it.
Speaker 6: You've outlined there that lumitdovi. Cricket was quite young.
Speaker 7: It was at its at its initiations and turns. Of course we all know what turns developed into. Just did the master of these sorts of things, and once again he was the master of listening. So yeah, it was everything was new, it was everybody took it very seriously, but it wasn't. It didn't have the priority that it has now. Test cricket was number one, and first class cricket was a number two, and then all of a sudden there was this thing called limited overcricket.
Speaker 4: I suppose you were pioneers of the game in as much as no one was playing it, although you playing county cricket. I think at the time would have been playing Sunday League forty over games.
Speaker 6: Forty over games, limited run ups.
Speaker 7: We played Benson Hedges games which was fifty five overs, Angellette Cut which was sixty overs.
Speaker 6: So there was three competitions going.
Speaker 7: But that was at first class level and it was something different to be playing at an international level in different countries on different grounds because the demands were different. But the pitchers, as I say, I'm not sure the groundsman did anything different to preparing a three day wicket to preparing a sixty over wicket, So.
Speaker 4: You could have got a green seamer or a Bunsen burner.
Speaker 7: Oh, absolutely absolutely, And to be quite honest, it was quite interesting when that did happen because you had to apply different sets of skills and Glenn Turner again was the master at it. We all know that, but it was it was quite interesting as to how you went about it because this this I'm pretty sure that East Africa won the toss and didn't want the bat, so we betted and it did seem around a bit because man, we started off very carefully and then we had to get things going later on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the slow State you bettered at number four. I mean you varied your position a lot of time playing for New Zealand, you opened, you betted down the order. Number four there, I mean number four these days is probably a significant position. Three and four because you're not really expected to bat much after that. Are the are the ones that are supposed to get all the runs?
Speaker 7: That's right, you know, because they know that the pictures are pretty flat. They know if the ball bounces there, to'll end up here. And they play with confidence. You know, some of the shots they played these days are absolutely amazing. You couldn't have played with any sort of confidence in those days. No helmets again, and so you wouldn't be sort of hooking at everything that's that's short, and you'd be letting them go and you'd be building innings, which we clearly did there and in turns the manager that orchestrated at all and it was a totally different sort of approach to it. And sixty overs is quite a lot, because in Test cricket these days they will they meant to bowl ninety overs, but it's only it's only half as much again as we played in the limited over game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you're lucky to get more than sixty overs out of a Test match game these days anyway, your partnership with Glenn Turner one hundred and forty nine, you are on a ball or nearly sixty six off sixty eight, you obviously increased the tempo and that allowed Turns to do the same. I think I think he faced the two hundred deliveries for one hundred and seventy one. But you know at that stage you'd just been meandering along to some extent, hadn't you.
Speaker 7: Well, Again, in those days you built an innings. Well, these days they just thrashed themselves to death all through the innings and that wasn't the way it was. And the openers John Morrison and Glen Turner they went out and the ball was seeming around right, So we've got to make sure we're still batting at sixty overs. And there was a workman sort of an innings that had to be wasn't good for New Zealand cricket if we lost to East Africa. So we had to make sure that things went well and you kept wickets in hand and put the foot on the pedal at the end. But still with Len and I we batted an awful lot together in those days and It was fantastic batting with him, and there were no hicck ups that I can remember, and both of us just played cricket strokes and didn't revert to some of the shots they do these days, and it was great.
Speaker 6: It worked out well.
Speaker 4: I remember years ago having a discussion with you and others in the commentary box when we were working together about the variations that you can bring to this short form game. But Glenn Turner sort of developed a style too, didn't. I remember a game against England at the Bation Reserve you might not have played in eighty three where he scored sort of eighty and kept chipping the ball back over the bowler's head because it was a vacant part of the ground. But he had that ability to do that, and I think in that game, Lance Ken's batted at three. So they were starting to find ways of doing something a little bit differently, weren't they.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And that's what happened. And I think also the science. I'm not a huge fan of science of any sort, but the science in preparing pictures has definitely improved, There's no doubt about that, and so they can predict a pitch how it's going to play and that is incredibly important. So therefore, you know, that's always understated and cricket how important the pitch is, and it just seems to get pushed aside. And therefore, if the pitch is that important, the toss is incredibly important and absolutely shapes shapes a whole game who wins the toss. So it was starting to evolve in things, and Glenn was a major player and how the One day game around the world, how it evolved. And he's scored an awful lot of first class runs in England when first class cricket was important. I don't think it has the same importance now at all. But he scored an awful lot of runs in first class cricket. But he also shaped the One day game. He had that shot that the flat batter outside the off stump that when he was in he was sure that what the pitcher was doing, anything outside the off stump got flat battered, and.
Speaker 6: It was an amazing stroke. You know, I never know why.
Speaker 7: They don't use it these days, because it's just absolutely made for the way they play these days.
Speaker 6: But nobody flat bats.
Speaker 7: But you know, certainly anything the way then turned it, and of course playing with him, I sort of imitated the shots of his that I thought were effective, and I sort of used to chip over the top as well, and flat bat as well. But of course because I wasn't anywhere near as good and never it. History misses that part out the other parts for me. The other part for me that was a lot of fun and we had to do it was the boundaries are so much bigger in those days, so there was space behind, you know, one saving fielders. They had to save the ones, otherwise you'd score off every ball. And so an easy way of scoring runs was to chip it over the top of uxuy, aim for the fielder and hit a great big circle, a great big hula hoop.
Speaker 6: Who the world's biggest hula.
Speaker 7: Hoop was above the fielder's head, and you tried to hit the ball through that hoop. That was the aim, and and you could do that to any fielder in the up saving the one. So in the bowler was a he had a hula hoop above his head. He never knew it.
Speaker 6: And if it was up and straight but not quite up far enough, you just knocked it.
Speaker 7: H threw the ball, kept the face of that open and knocked it over their head for two. So there was an awful lot of space behind one savers because the boundaries were so big, you congest those boundaries and of course that space isn't there, and you risk if you hit it, well, you risk getting caught.
Speaker 6: But at Melbourne and well every ground.
Speaker 7: The Oval, all of those grounds never had ropes and it was you know, it was different and strategies were different and it was fantastic.
Speaker 4: And players are starting to develop that sort of technique at the moment. Update our field is back, take the pace off the ball and go for two. You know, you see that plan quite often and many of the games for these players. In terms of Glenn Turner's game, particularly in the one day competition like this, was he an analyst as such, and he spent a lot of time thinking about the kind of shots that he could play and develop. I don't imagine he was the kind of player who would just go out and say I'm going to play that. He probably would have practiced it would he.
Speaker 6: Oh, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 7: He knew his game incredibly well, he knew what games he played, that he could practice something, but he was he kept the game incredibly simple, and that his stance was was set, and he changed it a little bit once he went on.
Speaker 6: You know, once he got.
Speaker 7: In, he changed it slightly is as angle of his wrist at the back. He cocked his wrist a little bit more at the back once he got in, and he opened the face of the.
Speaker 6: Bat out and his stance a little bit once he got in. It was very square earlier on.
Speaker 7: So he always was into the bat square to the ball.
Speaker 6: Early on in his in it.
Speaker 7: And he just knew that by keeping his head still and not planting wherever the ball was, that's where he hit it. So if the ball was out to be hit through the covers, if it was up fair enough, he hit it on the ground. If it wasn't quite up fair enough, he chipped it over the dup. So it was an incredibly simple game. And he was just the master at not making technical mistakes.
Speaker 6: So that his shoulder.
Speaker 7: We believe that you move your shoulder to the ball, not your foot, because if you move your shoulder, your head goes with it, and then your foot has to go with it otherwise you fall over. And not many people do that, and they and so he just hit it.
Speaker 6: So if the ball was there to be hit through mid on. That's what he did.
Speaker 7: He just moved his shoulder to it, hit it along the ground, or he hit it in the air. And he was the master at not moving around in the stance and therefore by standing absolutely still until he knew where the ball was going, that he made very few mistakes. These days, they plant because for some reason they think people are bowling so fast that they can't move to the ball wherever it dictates you should move. They for some reason believe that you can't do that anymore, which I don't believe that to be true at all. And Turns was the absolute master at standing still and playing the ball on its marriage wherever it went. But he always had two options along the ground or in the air.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The other the thing is that the game has changed so much now that players don't stand still or keep their heads still. They're across the crease looking for opportunities. They can see that. You can see them batting at the return increase on the off side or outside of the eg stump, trying to predict what the ball is going to do. And that's been one of the massive changes. And I suppose it's been brought about by the number of competitions that are being played in the design to win and the money that goes it.
Speaker 7: And Glinton also moved around a crease later on in his career, more than at the start. But again he moved around and was set in a different position and everything was still when the ball was delivered. So he was the master of the the coverage of the lofted cover drive when the ball pitched on mid off and he was also very good on the drop kick over midwicket when the ball was pitched on off stump. So he moved around too, but the basics of what he how he executed a stroke was still the same, and it was you know, it was fantastic batting with him, and he inspired everybody that that batted with him. And I was lucky enough to be a broken mirror image at the other end.
Speaker 6: Probably over one hundred times there.
Speaker 4: Was yeah, did you play much at Worcester with him? Because I mean in those days there were certain rules there, but you were both at w Wasster.
Speaker 7: We were I was the luckiest person ever to play county cricket because everybody else had to be an international superstar to go and play, or at least an international player I wasn't and hadn't even played first card cricket. I played in the same club as Martin Horton in Auckland and haughty wonderful fellow did so much for New Zealand cricket, just amazing. It's forgotten what he did for New Zealand cricket. But he suggested I go to Worcester and have a month's trial. So I went over and the month turned into a season, and then the last game of the season was against India who had just beaten England for the first time, and the selector came up to me and said, if you make runs today we'll think about keeping you and if you don't, misending your home. So I think wouldn't Commander Shakespeare very much for his communication, and luckily was the last out for ninety one, so we were established. Got in there and then the next game was against Bob Massey is Australian team, first game next year, and Johnny Gleason the mystery spinner, the second major mystery.
Speaker 6: Spinner, and did alright.
Speaker 7: It rained, of course, but it all worked out pretty well and was signed on as a overseas player when a gap appeared, because you could serve a time in those days, and then you came off the overseas list.
Speaker 6: We had Van burn Hold of.
Speaker 7: The very capable Westerndies opening bowler, and Glen Turner was the other one, so we also had him round Kahn. He was my flatmate, and he and I changed his bowling action for him, which most people don't think is true, but if you could contact them now, which I'm sure you can't, he would say it. It was mentioned in one of his books that we used to in the winter that I had to stay there. We used to get out unto the King's School gym and play with a tennis ball and we changed his action and he was eternally grateful. But he was there and he could come and play for us because he went to Oxford University, and there were different rules for Oxford University students, so you could go after the university season finished, you could go and play for whatever county you wanted. So he came and played for Worcester and we flattered together next to Glenn Turnert and his soon to be wife, and we had an awful lot of fun.
Speaker 4: We had a lot of fun. I'm sure Parks enjoyed flatting in Worcestershire in those days. But I'm not sure that he'd want to be a roommate with around Carn now, Jerry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know Sell five three four because Parks doesn't eat much. If you remember, he wouldn't like the gruel they handed in the mornings. I don't think he'd lose a bit of weight old Parks there, and I don't think he'll be talking to him run about his bowling action any longer. He used to talk about his bowling action to help help him run Carn with that.
Speaker 4: He said he sorted it out for him while he still said it, And he said they weren't the tidiest of flatmates either, So I guess they've got something very much in common. But lovely to hear from Parks talking about, in fact, the Glen Turner headings of a one hundred and seventy one as you've just heard. All right, Well take it carefully, getting up to heading then heading league, Jerry. The country box there is in somebody's office in the university, isn't it.
Speaker 3: So that's it.
Speaker 4: Make sure that's it.
Speaker 5: You've got physics, physics, little things on white boards behind you and things like that, and you try and work that out and try and say to yourself, how does that mean?
Speaker 3: What does that mean for the game?
Speaker 4: And that was as difficult as algebra was for me, or calculus and all that sort of stuff. So I just used to cover them all up and concentrate on the cricket.
Speaker 5: We'll see your we might see your mate, you know, Jeffrey Boycott once.
Speaker 3: He'll be up there. So I would have.
Speaker 4: Thought, yeah, oh, well give him my regards.
Speaker 5: I will, I will, and I'll try and get a picture of his reaction.
Speaker 4: Okay, and PEPs, you might be able to record it and send it back here.
Speaker 3: It makes for good radio. Take it easing, all right, Love, love you to talk, See you later.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks d B, listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio.