Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks ed B follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio. This is Sportsfix Howard by News Talks It be by.
Speaker 2: Hello there, and welcome on in to today's edition of the Sports Fix. My name is Darcy waldergrave A. It's Tuesday, seventeenth of December twenty twenty four. Coming up in this edition we'll talk cricket of course, after the success, the huge success of the black Caps in the third and final Test versus England. Form a wiki keeper for the black Caps, Pete McGlashan joins us to discuss I've got some opinion on the next big thing. Well not at the moment, it must be getting close. That's within the Octagon's name is Navajost. Sterling debut over the weekend looked pretty good as well. In News Talk ZB sports director Clay Wilson joins us in the chamber to toss around some sporting issues. That's our master plans. So without further ado, let's go in other news and around the traps in sports Today. New Zealand Nam won the third and final cricket Test against England by four hundred and twenty three runs in Hamilton still lost the Series two one, though Andrew Ordison reports from Seddon Park.
Speaker 3: The visitors resorted to swinging the vat and hoping after lunch or in the case of Olipope surrendering to a reverse scoop off Matt Henry which hit the top of the stumps at fascical stroke, suggested Heathrow was front of mind. The flaccid finish shouldn't take away from the convincing Black Caps showing to end their Test somemer before Christmas. The four hundred and twenty three run margin equals New Zealand's largest win by runs in Martin appropriate farewell to Tim Southy after a sixteen year one hundred and seven Test career.
Speaker 2: Tim Payne's acknowledging the Phoenix coaching staff for bringing out his best in the A League. The All Whites Fallback has a three year contract extension with the Feet next through until a ninth campaign in twenty twenty seven twenty eight. Pain says he's thrived on the chance to play consistently at right back. That Billy and the trust who play in one position and prominently there has really helped me kind of progress, and I think perform at the level I've been performing and Silver Ferns defender Kelly Jackson's been recognized as New Zealand's best netballer across all competitions in a calendar year. She's told Sky Sport her career to this point hasn't been without adversity.
Speaker 4: Two shoulder reconstructions and Accoli's rupture, so my fair ship injuries. But since then I've been feeling really strong, confident, and I guess with maturity, you know your role a little bit more leading of VEX.
Speaker 1: We've got just the ticket. It's sports X how my News talks.
Speaker 2: Evy and it's a big Welcome to the Sports Fix podcast to New Zealand, to player Peter mcglash and Peter, Hi, how are you. I'm very well good to have you on again after a strange old summer because it's the end of the Test season, even though the season hasn't really started. It's been an odd one but a great way to end right. Yeah.
Speaker 5: New Zealand will be pleased with that performance, particularly with it being such a big deal for Tim Saudi. Obviously, the series was lost earlier in the year. Earlier in the summer. But a nice way to finish off the Test series. But as you said, it is a bit odd that we're finished the Tests for Christmas.
Speaker 2: This is the modern era though we'll talk more about that later, but just back to the performances. How much of this was New Zealand really putting their foot down to send Salvy off in the right manner. How much of it was England with a foot on the plane after winning the series.
Speaker 5: Do you think, look, there might be an element of that. I mean, I guess anytime you've already won a series to kind of, you know, take your foot off the throat a little bit. Bretnda McCullum and Ben Stokes are competitive guys, don't get me wrong. They will have wanted to win this. But at the same time, Stokes picking up that injury, in New Zealand putting in a good performance, you know they'll be happy to head home with a two to one victory.
Speaker 2: It's shame that they couldn't make it down to the last Test match. New Zealand just weren't there in the first couple of tests. Is that a fair reflection of the season. Do you think the result the two to one result here This is across the other Test, the Indian series and of course the Sri Lankan mess.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's hard to believe that this is the same team that obviously beat India and India for the first time. It tends to be the nature of the game at the moment. I think, you know, the teacho any format has meant that there is a little bit less resilience in test lineups. No one's really willing to guts it out for a boring draw, and you do end up with these you know, these results. You can get pretty good odds at the tea for a drawn Test match these days. So it is the way that it is. It makes a very entertaining cricket, but as you say, it ends up and you can end end up knowing quite early in the series as to which way it's going to go.
Speaker 2: Tokeny zellm dominated they were in by Fourier and twenty three runs and they also dominated the Indian series three ZIP, but they were completely dominated in Sri Lanka. This is very up and down. This is Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde, isn't it.
Speaker 5: It is a little bit, I mean, very very different conditions across the series, and as we've seen quite a change in players as well. You know, we've had a handful of fast ballers who've been injured in that time, a couple of different spin options. It was interesting to see Each Sody in the TV commentary box during this Test match, which was a nice voice. Each is a very thoughtful man. But it's a shame that, you know, we can't play two spinners at home, because you know, that's that's the type of combination that's needed to win over in Asia and other parts of the world. So I think, you know, we're in a bit of a rebuilding with New Zealand guys like trem Bolt and see how they're on the way out. Williamson not available as often as we'd like, so it's a chance for other people to step up.
Speaker 2: This series is a standalone Peter McGlashan, When you look at that, people would stand there with pride. People that go could have done better just across the entire series, of course, culminating in this success.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think Mitch Center obviously was a star in this final Test. I mean both with bat and ball, he performed really, really well. I think, you know, Ravender was a guy who we had high hopes for, and obviously you know it'd been a little bit of a quiet period for him. I think Tom Blundell as a wiki keeper, you know you're only competing against yourself, and it's been a little bit quiet for him. Obviously one hundred and the last match helps, but under conditions which you know probably wasn't It wasn't as testing as it could be. So yeah, I think there's still a few players here who will be wanting to step up. Young had the opportunity while Conway was away, got a few runs under the belt, but there'll be still assumption made that when Conway comes back he'll slot straight in. So I think we've seen players step up, but no one's really grabbed the series of by the scruff of the neck and said that they're head to stay. So still some questions to be asked. But as you said, the whites will go away and we'll be playing with colored clothing and a white ball for the rest of the summer now, so completely different focus.
Speaker 2: You mentioned sat Naton really coming of age as a test player, which he will downplay because that's the way flat line goes. Another player that's really stood up and this is through the whole year and you've got a look to will I Rourk. We're always having trouble with pacement because they break all the time. But here's a guy who touch wood, hasn't snapped in half and has been really quite the find of the entire season, right the way back to the start of the year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's got all the natural attributes, doesn't he He's got that physique which means that he's got something a little bit different with the way he delivers the ball. It's a shame that guys like him and Jameson aren't all at the same time because obviously they have that point of difference with the high delivery point. But yeah, he's got an energy about him and the fact that he hasn't been injured so far is a really good sign. And the way that he was angling the ball back in makes him a little bit unorthodox, so good good signs. Because we're looking for replacements, as mentioned with you know the likes of Bolt and Saudi coming towards the end of their careers.
Speaker 2: Peter McGlashan joins us Tim Souvey. Plainly, it was about Tim Souvey this last Test match the tour has been as well, he's gone out on a high. Looking back at his career, if you can look that far back, Peter, you were playing way back then. What kind of contribution he has had to New Zealand cricket, the good and the bad, let's go both ways.
Speaker 5: I mean Tim's been a talent right from the beginning. I remember when him and Trim Bolt came through it about the same sort of time into Northern District's cricket as young fast bowlers, very different bowlers that complemented them each other very very well. Tim obviously right armor swinging the ball away from the bad, Trent being a left armor bringing it back in. There was a little bit of envy between the two with Tim getting I think from memory, Tim got a bit of a looking with the New Zealand team a little bit earlier than Trent, and Trent to him was a bit resentful of that. But they've made such a great peering over the years. And you know Tim's batting has been frustrating for New Zealand Test fans. But I mentioned on another show this morning, you know, Northern Districts for a little while tried to get him to bat sensibly and it didn't really go that well. So as frustrating as it is, when he does swing the bat and get out in some colorful ways, that's definitely his best way of playing. He does have the ability to get a quick thirty or forty and change the momentum of a match. So I think he's enjoyed playing the game. I think he's one of those players where it's never really been a chore for him. He's a leader in that team. He's gone from being sort of the mischief maker with Scott Styris as a youngster too later on in his career, really being the senior statesman who's led that bowling lineup. He had, you know, leadership roles as well within the side. So he'll leave a big hole in that change room, that's for sure. And you know, I guess the question is who will step up, and Matt Henry's done a very good job, but there's a few other guys in there who will be looking to, I guess, fill in the big hole. At tim, We'll leave them the team.
Speaker 2: Ben mcglass and thanks so much for your time and already helped so far throughout twenty twenty four. Have a very happy holiday season.
Speaker 1: Likewise, this is Sportsfix, your daily dose of sports news powered by News Talks EBB waiting.
Speaker 3: So, gentlemen, after three rounds, we go to the judge of score cards for a decision. All three judges score this contest thirty twenty seven for the winner. Are you doing of a decision?
Speaker 2: Lover? And yet another fighter out of the much celebrated City Kickboxing Jim has stepped into the octag in the UFC and started with a victory. The twenty seven year old Navajo Sterling managed to in three convincing rounds, put away the Palm Tuco Tucos in the light heavyweight division unanimous points victory. Although you'd suggest that Stirling maybe would have liked to have sent the British to the canvas and leave him there, but he did enough to secure a victory. The most impressive thing in my eyes about this victory is it was patient, considered, accurate, and didn't over extend himself in the face of his very first opponent in UFC, and it showed Navajo as a fighter that understands where he is going in the fight game. Now he's never really fought in the octagon before. He's still a relative newcomer to this kind of confrontation, but he showed great distance, he showed great space, He didn't appear to be rushed, and when he was dragged down in the grapple, he had enough to get up and get out of a situation that some fighters find themselves in a pile of trouble. Look, he had a huge advantage. He had a superior reach, superior height, and it looks like a superior outside game as well. It is only early days in his career, but with the coaching team he has got behind him with fighters like Israel, like Dan Hooker, like the slow burning but recently exploded Carlos Auberg, looks like New Zealand's place, and the wonderful wide world of the UFC is secure for at least a few more years. And of course, the granddaddy of them all, Israel, is coming back into the octagon next year. A solid start for Navajost Sterling looking forward to seeing his road to the top in the UFC.
Speaker 1: The Chamber is now in session on Sportsfix.
Speaker 2: Big welcome into the Chamber to Wilson News Talks. He be Sport Director for the last time in twenty twenty four, I would say, Clay, and we look back today at the end of the Test season, even though the cricket season at homes only just started.
Speaker 6: Only seventeen days into summer. Diceyon, Wow, and it's gone already.
Speaker 2: We've probably made enough of a song and dance about there. We understand why it's done like this. It's all about prepping for big tournaments and we've got the champions Trophy coming up. So let's forget about the pajamas. Let's look back at this Test match and then the previous two series and what that says about the black Caps season. It's been quite berserk, hasn't It.
Speaker 6: Has been kind of crazy and unpredictable in terms of the black Caps and their results. You know, we've had numerous conversations about this team, going back to the Sri Lanka series and where they've kind of been at and was it the changing of a guard, was at the end of an era. There was discussion about the team, but also about players. You know, I'm sure we'll get into Tim Sourthy in a moment, but just so hard to predict. Like the Sri Lanka series. They obviously lost that and sort of played okay not great, but not terrible. The India series was obviously a complete bolt out of the blue, no one expected it. And then we came into this England series thinking, well, based on that, you know, we should be slight favorites against an England team that just lost in Pakistan.
Speaker 2: And there's still a remote chance for World Test Championship finals. That was burning out.
Speaker 6: It wasn't it. And then yeah, really just didn't perform up to up to that kind of level. I mean obviously different conditions, completely different opponent, but just had performed so well consistently in India to come here and then just not have that. And perhaps that's what the England team did in terms of the way they play the game, just challenged the black Caps team a bit differently. But really, to sum it up, just unpredictable is the word for the black Caps in terms of the summer and me where they're at as a team, as a Test team.
Speaker 2: Where are they at right now? Because you said we've had some some changing in the guard. Obviously Tim Southy has gone. Now from the Test side, you've had a rack turn up to well, some success has got to be said. Where else do you think this team has developed or maybe gone backwards.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean you look at players that are sort of going to be leaving now, Tim Soury. You know, there's even talk now around Kane Williamson and how many more tests he's going to play. And I think the players like Latham Conway, who I'm sure will come back into the fold.
Speaker 2: So it's not curtains for Conway.
Speaker 6: No, I don't think so, not for me at all. I'm not not into this. You know, just drop drop proven test players. The Tom Blundell discussion has been had ad nauseum in our officers in the last.
Speaker 2: He's had a slight time, they all have. But this's the nature of what Steed does if he carries on test coaching, is of what June next year. Hard to get in, hard to get out, and that what you need, that stable base for success.
Speaker 6: And you know what's our proven ground for Test cricketers. It's the plunket shield. I mean, I'll ask you can can you name me players in the planket shield that you think, hey, they deserve a crack in Test cricket. These are players that I look at what Devin Conway did before he came into the Test team and he bashed the door down. He was averaging sixty or seventy across two three seasons. Right, can you name me anyone in the plunket shield? And not that there hasn't been performers this year in the plunket shield. There has there is every season. But are there any players there really bashing the door down?
Speaker 2: Well, you just look to that next level that's had one day experience. Mark Chapman said, not a bad planket shield so far for Aucklam. But these are cusp players that have already been involved in your zeeland. So I think that's the way it operates. You leak someone in for T twenty, you leak them in for one day Internationals, and when they're part of the setup, slowly but surely, they then go to the next level. I think that's the way it operates, and it's the path.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we don't have a lot of players that come in like a Conway did, like even a Will Young kind of has and sort of get a shot in test cricket without having played a bit of white ball cricket and proven himself at that level first, because of course test specialist, the likes of a you know, I go back to the likes of Jet Raval maybe you know, these players that were really kind of red Bull specialist, especially at international level. So yeah, obviously a few players floating around. I mean Will O'Rourke has really been since he came into the side for what that South African series or was it the Australian series before that, and has proven himself, I think to be a real find and someone who's you know, touch would cross your.
Speaker 2: Fingers and hasn't broken down yet.
Speaker 6: He's a fast bowler, so there's always that caveat against him, but I mean today was immense in this final day of this third Test match bob with real heat sometimes up above one fifty. So if he can stay fit, you know, we're you know, we're seeing Tim Soudy bow out. Different kind of bowler, but still someone who can be part of a three or four man seen bowling group in a Test match team. So and in terms of the batting, you know, I think Will Young is someone really the only obvious one I would say, you know, he's he's proven it at Test level. Still No hundred has been elusive, but I think he's shine enough to show that he's he's good enough so if you you know, if you lose a Williamson or a Conway's form slump goes on. But the reality was that team that won the World teesch Championship that they were players really a lot of them that had been together for you know, a number of years and had really built that that kind of consistency and success together. So I guess, you know, in around about way, what I'm saying is it's quite kind of hard to see where the Test team goes. There's potential there and some of those senior players, you know, Tom Latham's obviously the captain now has got a few years left in him. So there's potential for them to have success, whether they're going to go on and challenge.
Speaker 2: For Phillipson a Russian Avenger there, they're players for the future. They'll establish them. Can't wait till stops playing this aerial shots square, But so be it. That's the way it goes. It's going to happen that there is a wonderful sense of a carry on a few what's the word I'm trying to find there's.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, I guess you don't you don't want to lose, you don't want to become.
Speaker 2: The Sessions a succession plan. We know that.
Speaker 6: You know, you don't want to. We don't want to. You don't want to fool. You've built up so much momentum and you know, I guess an expectation of success within the team that wasn't there for so long for the black Caps as a test team. You don't want to go back to kind of point ay again, do you You want to be able to kind of okay? You're not always going to stay at that level, but you fall off a bit, but then you pick it up and you keep going with some of those same players. So that's kind of where they're at for me, that they are perhaps not a top team like they were for those couple of years, but there's potential there and you know, who knows what comes out of the out of the domestic system. There's certainly players putting their hand up. You look at the likes of Res Mario and Canterbury has scored big runs. People have chucked around Mitch Hayes's name as a you know, Tom Blundell's been having his struggle. So there's players there. The problem is is that the plunket shield, but the jump from plunket shield to Test match cricket. It is so high, so it's so hard to know if these players are going to translate that form across.
Speaker 2: It's been a marvelous last Test for Mitchell Santner. In fact, Santa's really confirmed his role, hasn't he He is a guy who can bat down the tail. He can also take a pile of wickets. I don't say it's come out of nowhere because we know how class he is, but suddenly red ball, he's found his rhythm. He knows what he's doing now and it's great to have him.
Speaker 6: And when you throw in what he can offer with the bat, yeah, I think even based on what he's done in India and just here in this Test match, you look at him and you say, is he someone you really consider in most of your Test match teams because as a spinner he can he can take you four or five wickets and down the order he's you know, you wouldn't perhaps say he's a genuine beat, but when he gets going, the.
Speaker 2: Tory wasn't for a long time and suddenly he became ridiculously reliable down the tail there. I mean it's a different form, sure, but I think more some one days wasn't as opposed to Test but that's the kind of character.
Speaker 6: Just wants to see us New Zealand's a spinner taking seven wickets in New Zealand in a Test match. I mean that doesn't those those kind of numbers don't happen very often. So he's proven that he's certainly with consideration going forward as a as a Test match player and not just not just a whiteball gun.
Speaker 2: Mery Christmas Clay Wilson News Talks, he'd be sporting director. Thanks for all of your help throughout twenty twenty four, most appreciated. You want to do it again next year? Oh?
Speaker 6: Why not? It's been so much fun. I'm going to miss miss you over the breakdowns and then we'll stop him. We'll write back into it for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Dissecting the sporting agenda. It's Sports Fix with Jason Fine and Darcy Waldgrave.
Speaker 2: And that's it for Sports Fix. Another day, Another dollar, Another podcast. Asked seventeenth of December twenty twenty four. There's your Tuesday. I'm Darcy Waldgrave back seven to eight Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday Friday nights on Sports Talk, of course, Piney's got it all on Monday between seven and eight pm, and he's got the weekend shift to weekend Sport twelve midday through the three pm Saturday and Sunday. Yeah, I'm a Sport News Talk ZB with me Darcy or that guy Jason Pine. Look after yourself and you'll hear us all again tomorrow. Don't forget to subscribe that way. This turns up automatically in your inbox every weekday. Ah and tell your mates too heavy holidays.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk zed B listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio