Speaker 1: Kilda.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by the New Zealand Herald. Thirty years ago, five members of the Bain family in Dunedin were found dead in their family home. The one surviving family member, David, was later convicted of murdering his parents and three siblings. He served thirteen years in prison before the Privy Council quashed his convictions and he was subsequently found not guilty on all charges at a retrial in two thousand and nine. Despite this, for three decades, this case has joined a gallery of notorious murders that have fascinated New Zealanders across the years. Later, on the Front Page, we discuss our fixation with this and other cases with Professor of POLP Culture, doctor Lorna Piazzi. Far now but first longtime David Bain advocate Joe Karen reflects on his three decades linked to the case.
Speaker 1: I think thirty years.
Speaker 2: Since the killings at Every Street. You're a former All Black, a successful businessman but also known as a longtime David Bain advocate. What first got you interested in this case?
Speaker 3: I was reading the New Zealand Herald one morning early in January of nineteen ninety six, and there was a little article in the Herald. Was a picture of five or six people in the Octagon and the Meeden the Treshoor table selling jams and pickles to raise money, with a sign on the front which said David Dane was innocent. And the story said that one of the people was an elderly woman who was David Bain's music teacher, and the other ones were friend that is from university and drama society belonged to. And the story just grabbed me. Actually, I'd been a close follower of the Arthur Allen Thomas case. Funnily enough, I had broken my leg and was implaster sitting at home doing nothing in nineteen seventy when the crew murders happened, and that because I was stuck with here was nowhere to go for nothing to do. I sort of read and listened to everything that happened. Anyway, what struck me about this article It wasn't like his parents or family. These were people who were just friends who to go out in the street and do this. And I had a visit with my lawyer on some other business A few days later, and I said to do you know who the lawyer for the David Bain was, And he gave me his name and address or phone number, and I contacted him and put my finger in the water and there we go. Twenty years later, I still at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've seen people say that they would never have been a retrial without your support of Bain. Would you agree with that?
Speaker 3: Oh? Well, I'd go without not being boastful, but just I think all the lawyers that I engaged over the years would say exactly the same thing. Not only would they not have been a retrial, there would David Dane would still be in prison now. When they ordered the retrial, Michael Reid, who was David Baine's QC, Michael REQC, he said, Joe, you have to come down there. We can't do this without You're the one with all the knowledge and everything else. I said, well, you know, I'm not a lawyer. You don't need the trial, and he said, no, You've got to be there. So I was there right through the whole thing, and I made over the years, I made some very very important and crucial decisions for the legal team. And I think it's fair to say that David Baine instead of being happily married now two lovely children and the gordous wife would still be writing away in the prison. And it was the will of the police and the various government officials that's what they would have liked to have happened.
Speaker 2: Well, you were kind of the face of the campaign, hey, and you really took on that role. And to say this case was divisive is an understatement. What was it like heading the campaign for so long? What kind of things did you experience?
Speaker 3: Well, it's hard for anybody who wasn't close to me over those years to understand is just how vicious the assault on me personally was. I brought a different perspective in the sense that you know, as a well known person, being a formal all black, and that made the police and the Justice department officials see me as more of a threat, I suppose to a normal person who might be fighting against an injustice. Right from the very beginning. It was amazing when my name first became public as being working for David, the number of police cars that would be driving past our house. We lived in the country, myself and a life and three children. At that stage. I separated from my life soon after one night, not long long after we'd separated, she'd been shopping in the evening. It was in the winter time, and she went to get in the car and her eyes approached her. And they were both private investigators to follow me around and try and dig up as much dirt on me as they could, and they thought that the children wife might be a great source of information for them. They sort of did all they could to persuade her to spill as much dirt on me as what she could, but she didn't. She rang me up and told me what happened. Then, of course, after I wrote the first book, which really is what started the major controversy, the police sued me for defamation. And I think that I can say fairly accurately that I'm the only person that the police have ever sued the defamation in New Zealand's history. Joe Karen, why are you doing this?
Speaker 1: He is guilty as the police can't be wrong and the government of cues can't all be wrong.
Speaker 4: Surely, I don't know how well film you are. But the jury did not hear all of the evidence. Much of the evidence they did here was wrong. The detective in fact, who sued me admitted it under oath during my trial that his evidence on a most crucial matter was wrong. The other detective be sued me under cross examination made the statement that if he'd been asked, he would have told the whole truth.
Speaker 2: You've mentioned before it had been tough, and I liked this quote. You sometimes represented as being a raving redneck who had lost the plot, and it seems like you've been on the receiving end, especially a lot of public backlash over the years. What kind of toll has that taken on you thirty years down the track.
Speaker 3: Well, I wouldn't say it's the toll lives with me now. I mean, if I look at the case now in retrospect, I have a great personal satisfaction and the feeling of triumph. But as I said before David Dane, which will probably be writing in jail instead of being happy married, it gives me a great deal of bride and satisfaction that my stick ability and all the work I did and ef it I put into it a result than that.
Speaker 2: You've said the campaign costs you millions over the years. Were you surprised going in how much it actually cost to challenge the legal system, Because first cab off. The rank was getting someone over to the Privy Council way and you donated what like twelve grand.
Speaker 3: The initial thing was with Michael Guest, David's original lawyer, and I didn't think you get to the Privy Council in London for twelve thousand dollars. I was recently well off at that time and the case he was bringing seemed to be quite powerful to me. In fact, that's when my association with the case just became public. What I discovered on that visit and soon after was that Michael Guest, David's original lawyer did a terrible job. And so one of the first major decisions I made was to sack him, and I arranged for Colin Wisner, QC and Dunedin to work with me to investigate whether or not he thought there'd been a miscarriage of justice that was challengeable through the proper channels, and that after working with me for twelve months, he agreed that there was, and we lodged the petition to the Governor General.
Speaker 2: Would you do it all again?
Speaker 3: I would definitely do it all again, and I wouldn't change I wouldn't be able to change anything because if I didn't be as feisty and determined and out spoken and voice things publicly as I did, I'd be just like the Watson case now, struggling on twenty three years later, hoping for the best and expecting the worst. So the only thing I did wrong was have a faith in the powers that be that they would take my concerns seriously. That they didn't, And so when they treated me the way they did, I treated them the same way back.
Speaker 2: Over the last fifteen years. How much of your time is still spent protecting David and I guess his new family now as well.
Speaker 3: David actually said to me after the two thousand and three decision of the Court of Appeal, and I was sitting with him in prison. I think I might have been shedding it through tears, and I was looking in the eye and saying, I just can't believe this, and they right have. I got this all wrong, David, and you've been bullshitting me all along. And David looked at me and said, Joe, you're doing tougher lag than me. He said, I am innocent, and I'll never ever admit enough fight on somehow, but you need to get on your life glowing away, And as I said, I wrote a letter of the Court of Appeal and told them that they were wrong, and I go to the Privy Council and that's what I did. But in terms of protecting David, the biggest thing was since the retrial, that is the biggest thing for me, was to get him some compensation. And so after Benny report was staring out in twenty and twelve, I then had to fight on for another four years to finally get him about a million dollars in two thy and sixteen, which gave him the opportunity of creating And he was married by then and he had one child by then, which gave him his wife at least the opportunity of creating a life for themselves and some privacy. But since that time and David and I agreed it well at his wife that it was their life and they would live at how they wished to where they wished to, and to make decisions for themselves. I offered that anytime they even needed to meet a help them, I would, but that they would basically get on with their life in their own way, which is what I've done.
Speaker 2: And they're doing well. Do they manage to kind of avoid being bothered.
Speaker 3: Well, they have done extremely well. I mean, this is another thing about all the nonsense that's been written by so many people. I must say that most of it has come out of the christ Church priest with Martin I'm leading the charge. As you know, Van Dayana wrote the story which New Zealand just went along with that naturally enough, that David Dane had sort of scarped off to Australia with his wife and that's where he was living. That was totally untrue. David never went to Australia to live. He had one short holiday there on the Gold Coast with his wife, but he never contemplated living there and never went there at all, and eventually they shifted to where they now live. His wife has a very very good job, is highly respected, and they bought a great life for themselves. They've got two children who are doing exceptionally well and as as far as they've got great support, need work in the community where they are. And whether or not what's happening now with this anniversary and the scrutiny on things will change that, I don't know, but I'm sure David will hold him.
Speaker 2: If anything does that and have you spoken to him recently? I mean just checking in with them. I guess I'm given it thirty years.
Speaker 3: We speak to each other, not every day or every week or anything, but sort of once a month or two months. We've never got old and wag on the phone and talk about how things are going, and he talks about his family and what he's doing for work and so on. And I've talked to him recently about the immedia scrutiny that's been going on, and he said, look, we're living a happy life. We've got a good support network around us, and I just wanted to sort of just keep my head down and be tap with my family and close friends. So that's what you're doing.
Speaker 5: How are you feeling?
Speaker 3: What was it like to hear that phrase not guilty repeated five times today?
Speaker 6: That was a huge release for me, to be honest, I just in some respects it took a huge weights off my shoulders. But it's also shown me that the love of all these people and this fantastic man here has got me through and it's just it's all coming at once.
Speaker 2: Do you think New Zealand needs to move on?
Speaker 3: Well? I think what needs to happen was Black Hans and Baine and thing is what it did. It had an enormous effect. I mean it turns. I mean younger people tend to listen to podcasts. I know that's changed now, lots of people do. But all of the people who were too young to follow the case and know about the case, there are only reference about the case is not only the podcast, but then New Zealand on Air granted five million dollars to Warner Brothers to do that television three part doco drama on the thing. What I think needs to happen and answer your question, somebody should put up five million dollars to have an investigation into what went wrong, who did what, when did they do it and why and get some accountability. Not for the purpose of vengeance on all the people who did do things, rather as I don't think David or me want to see any of them get locked up, even though they deserve it, but to make sure or put things in place to try to ensure that something like this never happens again.
Speaker 2: You're saying, instead of giving money to the likes of a three part docco.
Speaker 3: Series which was a pointless it was pointless a proud and not think it added nothing to the story, and in fact it wasn't even very didn't get very good ratings, but that it creates controversy and unnecessary.
Speaker 2: And I suppose retraumatizers as well. I mean, this is probably a period of David's life that he doesn't really want to reflect on too.
Speaker 3: Much exactly, but not only in I mean, I know his extended family have ditched him and taken a side of the police, but I don't think they want all the stuff regurgitated over and over and over again, because you know, as much as I think they were wrong in the way they behaved, each tended family that is in not supporting David. However, of course it was their brother and sister and nieces and nephews and cousins who also lost their lives and say they've been through a great de la trauma as well. And the regurgitating of what happened is no help to anybody. But what would be a help would be to try to ensure that these practices are well and truly in the past and put things in place to make sure they don't happen again.
Speaker 2: Is it time for New Zealand to leave David and his family alone.
Speaker 3: Well, it would be much easier for them to leave him alone if the facts of the case were properly put on the table and his innocence was acknowledged instead of trying to portray him, as we've talked about with the various podcasts and so on, as a killer living amongst us. It's pretty obvious what happened, and the only valuable thing that can be done for the case is to learn from the mistakes that were made by the police, by the Crown Law Office and Wellington, by the judges at the Court of Appeal, and by politicians. He could have all put a stop to this way back in nineteen ninety seven when I went and told them, I mean, what happened in the retrial is exactly what I told them would happen if there was a retrial and I was proven right thirteen years later. You know, I'd never had any experience in law or criminal cases, and if I could see how clearly what the case was by myself, then all these people could have seen it if it wasn't for their institutional bias which they brought to play on the case. An answer your question, yes, leave it alone. Or if you're going to touch it, at least acknowledge the shortcomings and all of the authorities. When I went to see the police, originally, it never would have been all this controversy if they'd sat down with me and discussed and worked out the way forward. I didn't want to write books about the case. I didn't want to have all this controversy and have David writing a land prison for thirty more years. But instead of that, their response was to try and destroy all the evidence. The controversy is at the feet of the authorities.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, Joe, David Bain, Scott Watson, Race Mulane, Heavenly Creatures, the Crew Murders. Some cases have captured Kiwi's imagination and focus over the years more than others, So why do we care about some cases rather than others. To discuss this further, we're joined now on the front page by aut University's professor of Popular Culture, doctor Lorna Piatti Farnell.
Speaker 1: Lorna.
Speaker 2: Whether it's podcasts, articles, documentaries, TV adaptations, we all seem to love true crime, don't we. What drives that fascination?
Speaker 1: Well, the fascination with true crime likely comes from many causes, and there are probably many reasons as to white people enjoy true crime stories so much. Now. Generally speaking, I would say that the interest in true crime likely stems first of all from the curiosity the people have about these highly confronting stories. People want to know more and find out the motivations of these killers. Above all, the exploration of what we could not imagine doing, and the focus on what it's perceived as different, deviant and simply just not fitting in our society. Now, I think there is a desire to try and discover some form of blueprint over what caused the murderers to do what they did, and perhaps even to avoid it happening again in the future. Unfortunately, no matter how many true crime stories we might watch, this is not simply a journey of causality and correlation that applies to every single case, so it doesn't quite work like that. But still we try and true crime stories for the fans they will know this are often very very visceral and get into very gory detail, so there's probably a certain strange foeuristic side to the fascination. And of course true crime is based generally speaking on real historical events. It actually happened. So there is also a layer of unspoken mixture of fear and excitement that goes with the experience as well the thrill of delving into the crime and all his details.
Speaker 2: Shall we say, yeah, And looking at David Baine as an example, it's been thirty years and he's gone through two trials now, but we can't seem to leave it alone. What do you think motivates people to keep talking about Bain?
Speaker 1: Now? What a case like that of Bain and several others in a similar category, there is I think, in equal parts fascination and repulsion over the fact that the perpetrators of the crime of the murders did not kill strangers, as it is often the case with a lot of true crime stories that we see, but they killed members of their family, or allegedly killed members of their family as the trial went. Now the people that they should have loved the most and cherished the most and cared about, and that truly has a certain, should we say, unimaginable quality to it. Truly is the call of the unthinkable, And of course murder is thankfully unthinkable from the majority of people. But when we encounter cases when it does happen within family circles. There is a challenge to our sense of safety, the pushing of boundaries of our comfort zone, which is likely why these particular cases get so much attention. And also we should not underestimate the idea that someone may have actually been wrongfully convicted of a crime and spent time in prison, as that is certainly something that resonates with people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were talking about Scott Watson on the podcast the other week and one of our guests noted how the name has been Smart and Olivia Hope. The fact that that we both young, white, blonde made that case stand out more.
Speaker 1: Perhaps, you know.
Speaker 5: A couple of really attractive kids doing what a lot of kids of that age did, which is their first holidays with their friends, not their family, not to mention their surnames, Hope and Smart. You know, they were the perfect set of white middle class kids, beautiful, intelligent, their whole lives ahead of them. And I think that's what capitivated the country who because I think if it was you know, as some different people in a small town, for example, there wouldn't have been such a huge kind of interest.
Speaker 2: Does race and class play into which cases Garner our attention over others, do you think.
Speaker 1: I see? Unfortunately, if we look at all the research that has been conducted in this particular area and on this particular topic in several fields, from criminal psychology to gender and race studies to cultural and media studies, there is definitely ample evidence to suggest that unfortunately, race, gender, and class do play central parts in victim and perpetrator definition, in the creation of sympathy or lack of sympathy, and the attention that the case may actually get in the news. There is a lot of stereotyping that happens, and most often than not, this can reflect negatively on the victims or on the perpetrator. It is regrettable, and it is essential that we maintain a continuous awareness of this, especially when presented with criminal acts in both real life and fictionalized accounts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also seventy years since the Polling Parker and Juliet Home murders in what's known as the Heavenly Creature's case. So this isn't really a modern phenomenon, is it.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm assuming you mean the news and cultural hype of a murder rather than wealth as the latter has been around. I think for as long as humans have been around. Certainly, the narrative, shall we say, constructions of a murder, the storytelling a murder, and what part do news outlets and media play in generally that is not a contemporary occurrence. Certainly from the late nineteenth entry onwards with you know, famous cases like that of Jack the Ripper, there has been a fascination with the idea of crime that has been fueled by storytelling, and this has been transported from the news or other forms of media such as film and television and more recently you know, podcasts and the like very popular with listeners. And then sensationalization of murder has really been occurring ever since news and later media audiences have been a thing. So absolutely it's not really a new phenomenon.
Speaker 2: How much does news media drive interest in these cases and should there be I guess more consideration from journalists in what cases they spotlight?
Speaker 1: I suppose yes, that is a good question. And news media have historically been central to drawing public attention to particular cases, especially in building you know, speculation and fascination around particular crimes, especially murders. Now, the serial killer phenomenon, as it's often called more than the murder themselves, and then the public attention around it has been intrinsically connected with media attention. Sometimes historical facts and popular views can merge, they can blend and merge and become one, and some ideas of facts become very cemented into people's minds and difficult to shake, whether they actually happen or not. So it is always important to maintain vigilance over what information is shared and circulated about these cases and in our contemporary era, not only in official media outlets, but also on user generated content platforms, and there are certainly quite a lot of those around, so vigilance is definitely the key.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, Lona. That's it for this episode of the Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at enzed Herald dot co dot z. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Siles with sound engineer Patty Fox. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to the Front Page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.