Speaker 1: This episode of A Moment in Crime refers to murders, including the killing of children. It also contains descriptions of post mortem examinations and forensic evidence. This content is intended for a mature audience.
Speaker 2: Mark Lundy did it.
Speaker 1: He murdered his wife, Christine and their young daughter Amber and their Parmeston North home. A New Zealand's leading pathologist, after working on the Lundee case for years, can tell you why he's sure, without a shadow of a doubt, Lundy is a double murderer. I know there's many people out there that don't believe Lundee is responsible. They think that he's been stitched up, that someone else did it. Since the day it happened, Lundy himself has protested his innocence, but he was the only one who could have done it. That's what two High Court juries have decided at separate murder trials, and Kenrick temple Camp backs them based on the science of the case. In this episode of A Moment in Crime, you'll hear more about Kenrick's work on the Lundy case, dubbed Operation Winter by police, and you'll find out what he thinks about another infamous New Zealand double murder the polarizing case of Scott Watson, convicted of killing Ben Smart and Olivia Hope during New Year's celebrations in nineteen ninety nine. Usually, episodes of a Moment of Crime focus on old cases, cold cases, or recent cases of national and international significance involving Keiwi offenders or victims. Today, I'll take you to the other side of the cordon inside Kinrick's world. Since the nineteen eighties, he's been tasked with establishing the cause of death for countless men, women and children. He's also been called in to solve the baffling health mysteries of the living, and he spends hours in a lab each week examining various samples and swabs to diagnose everything from viruses to cancer. Kenrick has written three books on the work he does and has pa about His latest is called The Final Diagnosis and is available now with the booker. It was the perfect opportunity to talk with a man who knows more about murder than most people in New Zealand. I'll include information in the show notes about his books and a link to my story about Kenrick's vast and varied career.
Speaker 2: If there's other cases you.
Speaker 1: Want to hear about on a Moment in Crime. Email me at Anna dot leask at enzme dot co dot Nz. From the who dunnets in cold cases to the strange and quirky, crime is one of the most fascinating corners of society and the news. From the New Zealand Herald newsroom comes a Moment in Crime, a podcast delving into some of New Zealand's most high profile cases, offenses and offenders. Each month, I'll take you inside some of our most infamous incidents, notorious offenders, and behind the scenes of high profile trials and events to show you what's really happening in your backyard. Kindric temple Camp was born in Zimbabwe, emigrating to New Zealand in nineteen eighty seven and settling in Parmesan North, where he joined the local pathology practice. Pathologists are specialist doctors who diagnose and study human diseases and conditions. The job is extremely varied and can range from testing tissue and fluid samples to diagnosing diseases and investigating deaths. Those deaths might be due to an illness, something sudden or mysterious, or the result of a crime. The latter generally requires them to stand up in court and explain an intense.
Speaker 2: Detail how and why a person died.
Speaker 1: Their evidence is then considered by a jury in determining whether a person charged is guilty or not. Over the years, Kinrick has seen it all, and he's pretty much written about it all. In twenty eighteen, his first book, The Cause of Death, was published, in which he lifted the lid on the most unusual stories of death and murder had encountered during his career. The Quick in the Dead followed in twenty twenty, covering the unlikely, extraordinary, obscure, and often tragic ways humans meet their end, and in June twenty twenty four, The Final Diagnosis. He's ken rec explaining the new book how he chooses which cases of the thousands he oversees every year to write about, and why he includes living patients.
Speaker 3: It's a continuation. They're really a trilogy because they are all my memoirs of cases that I've been involved with. The first book was predominant. It was one hundred percent about autopsies and the dead. The second book, The Quick and the Dead, and this one, The Final Diagnosis. It's a mixed bag of autopsies obviously on people who have had unusual or suspicious deaths, and some murders as well, and people who've had unusual diseases, unusual presentation of diseases, or actually make a point. So there are quite a few live people in live patients in my new book in which I talk about their diseases, and that's a little bit different.
Speaker 1: And how do you select the cases for each book? I mean, you must have, I imagine, countless examples to draw upon, but how do you select? You know, how did you do it for the final diagnosis?
Speaker 3: Well, every day that I go to work is amazing. There are always new cases. They are always unbelievable things to find and are happening. I guess this is cherry picking all those that stick in my mind and are the most unusual. And as I write them, it's amazing how new ones come up. And all the time I'm thinking of ones and new ones, or thinking of ones that I've seen in the past, and I think, damn, why didn't I include that one in the book, because that's just brilliant. But of course you can't write about everything, and I can't remember them all, of course, but I have to go and research each one when I decided to write about it.
Speaker 1: As you can imagine, it takes a long time to complete all the training needed to do the job Kinric does. It's not for the fainthearted, looking at bodies and parts of bodies and slides of mysterious nasties found within bodies all day, and I'm not sure too many kids wake up one day and think I want to be a pathologist. I asked Conc how he got into this branch of medicine, what inspired him to work mostly with the dead and dying, and why he's stayed in the job for so many years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of people ask that. Of course, when you go to medical school, everybody wants to be a neurosurgeon or some sort of fancy surgeon, or deliver babies or something like that. Nobody ever says, oh, I'm going to go to medical school and be a pathology And it actually wasn't high on my horizon. But I just started in medical school and I was an Army cadet, and I had during the vacations, I had to go back into the army. And what happened was, as a nineteen year old, I was sent out with a squad to pick up three bodies from an aircraft accident, and we had to put them into a bag and take them off to the mortuary for an autopsy. And that's quite a shocking thing for a nineteen year old just I mean, the year before I'd been a prefect at school, so it was a little bit of a shock. But when I got to the moltuary, there was a pathologist there, Kevin Lee, who was outstanding, and he turned what would have been a terrible experience into something really amazing, you know, getting the bodies together again, working out what had happened, making and putting a whole context behind what we were seeing and what had happened. And I just thought, this is just brilliant, and you know, it's stuck in my mind and throughout my medical career. I just wanted to be a pathologist.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the training. How do you get to where you are?
Speaker 3: Well, you first have to get yourself through medical school and do your house job and a bit of clinical work, and then when you've done that, you have to sign up with a training a laboratory in a hospital, a teaching hospital or another hospital, and that takes another five years of training, and along the way there are a couple of pretty stiff exams that you've got to get through, and at the end of that you're ready to start. So it takes thirteen years altogether from the time you start medical school to the time that you're ready to say I'm a consultant pathologist, and then all you need is another forty years experience on top of that.
Speaker 1: I expect that the training is intense, you know, thirteen years, and then getting into what you want to do. You will never put off along the way.
Speaker 3: No, you know, there there was quite a difference in my day. I come from a generation where you left school and you went and did your career straight away and you got straight into it. So I was a consultant by the time I was thirty, whereas the world is very different today. You know, a lot of the graduates coming out of medical school are a bit older and they've done another degree and then they do a bit of overseas experience, and you know, I've got registrars that i'm training that are in their forties, and you know, I find that very interesting. But because it's you know, when I was forty, I can't imagine sitting down and trying to learn all those books and focus on all every disease of every organ. But that's what they have to do.
Speaker 1: And what were some of the earlier cases that you worked on as a pathologist? How do you sort of start off?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, during your training you do, of course, you do two types of cases that we do. They're the cases on the living, the biopsies and the diagnosis of cancers and exotic diseases and not so exotic diseases in the living. And then there are of course the autopsies and the diagnoses on the dead. And during your training you do and you do both. The emphasis is of course on the living and on making diagnoses from biopsies and recognizing changes in tissues and discovering just what earth is going on with the patient and often that's a bit of a mystery.
Speaker 1: And you're now considered sort of the leading pathologists to New Zealand. Tell me about the work that you've had to do over the years to sort of rise through the ranks, because it's not just all the crime stuff that we see in the documentaries and the true crime shows, is it.
Speaker 3: No, I wouldn't really call myself a leading pathologist. I'm an old pathologist, which is perhaps if you hang around long enough, people will think you the leading pathologists. But no, no, I'm definitely an old pathologist these days, and I guess it's pathology has changed a lot in New Zealand over the last thirty years. When I started doing pathology here, we tended to do a bit of everything, so you know, you'd be in I worked in Palmerston North Hospital and we did our diagnostic biopsies and we also did all the autopsies on all the homicides, the suspicious deaths, the traffic accidents, the suicides, and these days that's all changed now there's more and more specialization in the current training. The pathologists don't even learn how to do autopsies anymore. That's gone. They do that after they've finished their fellowship, So after their five year training, after their thirteen years from the beginning to the end, they then have to go and learn how to do autopsies.
Speaker 1: And what would be some of the most high profile cases you've worked on that people would know about out there?
Speaker 3: Well, quite a few that I've written about. I guess what always comes to mind are the homicides and of course, the one that everybody always asks about is the Mark Lundy case, which I didn't actually do the autopsies on, although I've been involved in all three of Mark Lundy's trials, including going to London and listening to the sitting in on the Privy Council for three days, so that that was been a pretty interesting one that spanned a good part of my career.
Speaker 1: In February two thousand and one, Mark Lundy, then aged forty three, was arrested in charge with murdering his wife Christine and their seven year old daughter Amber. The pair were hacked to death at Palmston North home, likely with an axe or tomahawk.
Speaker 2: I've covered this.
Speaker 1: Case more extensively in an earlier episode of A Moment in Crime, so I'm only giving a brief summary of the case here. On the night of the murders, Lundy had checked into a motel in Patni, Wellington. Mobile data proved that Lundon he was at the motel at five point thirty and eight twenty eight pm. A sex worker hired by Lundy confirmed he was also there between eleven thirty pm and one am. Police say that just after five thirty pm Lundy drove at breakneck speed from his motel to Palmerston North, killed his family, and arrived back in Potoni before eight.
Speaker 2: Twenty eight pm.
Speaker 1: They contended he killed Christine for her life insurance money because of financial pressure.
Speaker 2: Four days earlier, the couple had reviewed their life.
Speaker 1: Insurance and agreed Christine's would be raised from two hundred thousand dollars to five hundred thousand dollars. Lundy killed Amber, police said because she had witnessed all or part of her mother's murder.
Speaker 2: The prosecution relied.
Speaker 1: Heavily on a particular piece of forensic evidence, a speck of body tissue found on one of Lundy's polo shirts, which was located in the back seat of his car. An international pathologist identified it as Christine Lundy brain tissue, and it was argued the only way it could have ended up on Lundy's shirt was if he himself was the murderer. Lundy gave evidence at the trial, strenuously denying he killed his wife or child. His lawyers were adamant that Lundy could not possibly have made the round trip from Wellington to palmest.
Speaker 2: North and back in just three hours.
Speaker 1: They said contamination could account for the tissue found on Lundy's shirt. After seven hours of deliberation, the jury found Lundy guilty of both murders. He was sentenced to life in prison with a minimum non parole period of seventeen years. The Court of Appeal rejected Lundy's attempt to overturn his conviction and sentence. In fact, they increased his minimum non parole period to twenty years in twenty thirteen, though the Privy Council the New Zealand's Court of Last Appeal overturned the convictions and ordered a retrial that went ahead in twenty fifteen, and the Crown expanded the window for the time of death to fourteen hours, alleging Lundy may have returned to Palmerston North early in the morning to murder his family. The second jury was also convinced beyond reasonable doubt by the Crown case and found Lundy guilty of both murders. Again, Lundy was sent back to prison, where he remains today. He still maintains his innocence and is still trying to clear his name. Kinrich speaks about his role in the Lundy case in The Final Diagnosis. This is part of his book voiced by an actor.
Speaker 4: Juries are smart. They have seven hundred plus years of collective life experience. We all live in a science based society with remote controls, microwaves, computers, and aeroplanes. We understand science and while we may not know exactly how it works, we know it does and it can be explained simply so we can follow it. It isn't witchcraft, after all. Christine's DNA was found in both flips of tissue Lundy's shirt was reported that the odds were one billion times to one more likely that the DNA was from Christine Lundy than someone else unrelated to her chosen at random from the New Zealand population. This is a massive boost to the case against Lundy, and the analytical level of certainty shows how reliable DNA matching can be. The DNA belond Christine. The Oxford pathologists first brought up the idea of sausages and hamburgers as a source of animal brain tissue, and that story gained some traction as I still get asked about it from time to time. But Mark Lundy would have to be the unluckiest man in history to have got an accidental contamination with animal brain tissue from a hamburger, and then for that tissue also to contain DNA indistinguishable from his wife's. All I can say is the DNA on his shirt is human and was of good quality. The tissue was brain, as the international experts have established, and I can say it was uncooked through microscopic histological examination. I say cooked meats and other foods histologically in my daily work, So I am confident of that. So I can say with authority that the brain tissue on the Lundy shirt had emphatically never been cooked. It was science applied to the two deposits of brain tissue on Mark Lundy's shirt that put paid to his plans of getting away with murder. Lundy realistically would have never predicted and therefore planned for, this accidental, minute but unequivital soiling of his shirt. That was his most significant mistake.
Speaker 1: I asked Kenrick Moore about Lundy and other stand up cases from his lengthy career.
Speaker 3: Well, that certainly has been tried a lot, hasn't it. I guess from a pathologists point of view, we try not to have a personal opinion that's based on just what we've heard, or we think what I look at is what does the science say. And the science certainly has produced evidence that he can has been unable to overturn in court. And it really is quite compelling, and it's very difficult to argue why you have your wife's brains on your shirt.
Speaker 1: What would be the most bizarre case you've come across over the years, in someone living or dead?
Speaker 3: Probably I wrote in my first book about a case of spontaneous combustion, which is something that pathologists talk about but which isn't greatly understood. And this is people who they thought originally just caught fire spontaneously and burnt slowly down into a puddle without actually setting fire to any of their surroundings. And the science of this has now been worked out. And the case that I was called to I went out to and it was on a provincial road out in the manner were two and it was a man who had been drinking heavily at the Shannon Pub and he had picked up a bottle of vodka and headed off back. And he pulled over to the side of the road, drank his bottle of vodka and lit up a cigarette and obviously went to sleep. The cigarette dropped onto his clothing and it started smoldering, you know, but like a candlewick, and he gradually, just without gaining consciousness, he gradually just burnt himself to death sitting inside the car. The car didn't catch fire, and there was just smoke all over the windows, and he was basically not quite a puddle of fat, but pretty close to going that way. And I just never i'd heard about the spontaneous combustion. I've never seen a case, and I think that was the closest that I've ever come to it. That was really weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I bet how do you wind down after working on something like that? Does it affect you or is it just part of the job and you just sort of carry on?
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know, whenever you open up a body, a freshly dead body or perhaps a not so freshly dead one, there's a suppression or a suspension of your norm normal physiology and emotion. You know, by physiology, I mean, you know your body function. What does it tell you to do when you open and see your body being opened? Tells you to run away? You know, you get this adrenaline rush of fear and flight, and you want to run away, and you've got to suppress that and then there's the emotional aspect. You're looking at a body being opened, and you know, I mean, this is an appalling mutilation if you're not used to it, and you've got to suppress that. As time goes on, of course, you get used to it. I suppose you get inoculated, and I've pathologists do get used to this. One of the questions that I always ask is okay, And people always ask pathologists exactly this question that you've asked. I ask, why don't general surgeons get the same thing? I mean, somebody gets brought in from a car accident and they've got a shattered body there, and they open up their abdomen and take out bits of bowel and stitch it up and so on. Surely they have exactly the same fears that that we do, which is, you know, basically this is horrific, but you've got to do something. Hm.
Speaker 1: What would be I imagine some cases are harder than others, you know, even for someone that's been in the profession as long as you is it is it the young people, the children that are hardest? Or you know, what, what is it that you sort of not struggle with but you find particularly challenging.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think young children always poignant, aren't they. And yes, I've had a number of cases where my registerrars have just been unable to carry out the autopsy. There were the three children who died in the man or two in the pang and a valley when they were swimming in a in a in the river and part of the cliff came down and the cliff killed all three of them. And it's written in my first book, and that that was three children from two families. That that was terrible. My registrars couldn't do those autopsies. I had to go and do those. And of course that that does affect you, because it's it's nobody deserves nobody deserves to die to start with. But when it's a young child like that and it's just so pointless, it's a it's not a good feel. And those are the ones that I remember, of course.
Speaker 1: I guess. So the flip side of it is, you know, to get answers and to help the families get closure, somebody has to do that job, right.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that's right. I mean I guess one of the ways I deal with it is I don't see these as cadavers. I mean a body is not an inanimate object. It really reflects humanity. They are my patients, and I am a doctor, and I am looking after them, and I'm finding what happened, and I'm telling their story. I'm their last advocate, and I will tell the truth about them and what happened, and do it respect fully, and then they can be laid to rest, with a story known and everything tidied away. And we understand. Understanding is important part of loss and grief is of course understanding, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Professionally can Reck and I have a few things in common. We both, in our own ways, investigate and tell the stories of the dead. We see and hear gruesome details of murders. We bear witness to the unfathomable grief of people who have lost a parent, sibling, or child to a violent act. Are questioned almost daily about New Zealand's most high profile offenders and offenses. In my case, it's usually about whether I think a particular person is guilty of a crime, or if a jury got the right verdict and a murder trial I've been reporting on. Ken Rick gets that a lot too, And there's another question He's often asked.
Speaker 3: Everybody wants to talk about murder. Whenever I go to meetings, nobody ever says, have you seen any amazing diseases recently? Have you seen any amazing tumors? You know, what's the most exotic disease you've come across? Nobody ever asks that. They always ask about murder. Everybody wants to know We're fascinated by murder. And the problem is that all the murders that I've done, I've dealt with in my first two books. So I thought, what on earth can I do in the third book? And what is At a lot of the Lions and Rotary and other meeting probus meetings that I go to, people have always asked me, you know how to commit the perfect murder? And the answer is yes, I do, but I'm not going to tell you. But what I can tell you is look at a number of famous and not so famous murders in New Zealand and tell you what the murderers did wrong, and then from that you can work out what you need to do for your perfect murder.
Speaker 1: The prosecution of Scott Watson is one of the cases Kenrick delves into in his latest book, Watson was jailed for life for the minimum non parole period of seventeen years for the murders of Olivia Hope seventeen and Ben Smart twenty one. The friends disappeared after boarding a stranger's yacht early on January one, nineteen ninety nine, after marking the new year with friends at Ferno Lodge, a century old boat access only resort in the Endeavor in Let.
Speaker 2: Their bodies have never been found.
Speaker 1: Watson has always denied killing or even meeting Hope and Smart. He's repeatedly been denied parole since he became eligible, and continues to fight to clear his name. Watson's latest appeal actually began the day that I interviewed Kinrick. At the time of recording this podcast, a decision had not yet been made. I'll include a link in the show notes for the latest on this long running saga if you'd like to read more. But here is Kinrick explaining why he decided to cover the Sounds case in his book.
Speaker 3: The Scott Watson case was one that I selected to talk about, not because I have any inside knowledge or any particular views about And it's interesting to note that the Scott Watson case is going to the Court of Appeal today, Yes, which is interesting, and there were a couple of things that I wanted to a couple of points I wanted to make about Scott Watson's case. It's not what was done wrong, it was just I think how the evidence plays out, particularly eyewitness evidence, and everybody knows eyewitnesses are not terribly reliable, and that's really what I've written about in the book can Reck.
Speaker 1: Are the criminal cases that you've worked on with a forensic evidence tells you clearly one thing, but the jury decides the opposite when they come back with a verdict.
Speaker 3: You know, I personally haven't had one of those, which is interesting. Every case that I've been involved with has the evidence that we've collected at all topsy, and examination of the scene and the police investigations, it's all made sense. And every case I've been involved with has had a conviction. So I've never come across a case where the evidence has been rejected, and I'm quite proud of that because I think that means that the evidence we put forward was bust in the first instance, and in a murder case, the police and the prosecutor will look very carefully at the autopsy what the pathologist says, how it all ties together before making their decision. And I think that I'm quite proud of the fact that so far, well I'm not doing homicides at the moment anymore, that the conviction rate has been pretty well one hundred percent. There are cases I'm aware of where I think it's gone the wrong way, but I wasn't involved with those.
Speaker 1: In the final diagnosis. You talk about why circumstantial is often the most compelling and steadfast form of evidence. Tell me more about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know circumstantial evidence. A lot of people say, oh, you hear this all the time. He was found guilty, but the evidence was only circumstantial. Well, circumstantial evidence is very good. Eyewitness evidence is extremely bad, and that's well known. The psychologists know about it. There's been many tests of it, and of course I talk about it with the Sounds murder. Eyewitness evidence is not good. There is one type of eyewitness evidence that's outstanding, of course, and that is security cameras, and that's changed everything, and I write a bit about that too. But circumstantial evidence involves clues that you cannot manufacture, that are left by mistake behind, and there's nothing that you can do. You didn't intend them to be there, but added together, they form a very compelling argument. Like, for instance, in Mark Lundy's case, two specs of brain tissue on his shirt is circumstantial evidence, but it's pretty compelling. The DNA analysis of that tissue is pretty compelling. The fact that his wife and his daughter had chips of paint in their injuries in their head similar to that with which Mark Lundy's tools were painted, is circumstantial evidence. It's not gotcha evidence. But all of these things start adding up, and when you get a whole pile of circumstantial facts coming together, it becomes very hard to say, well, can there be another explanation? And the answer is usually not really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because some of our most high profile cases have been based on circumstantial evidence, haven't they. If you look at you know, David Bain and his family, there were no witnesses. We've had one in christ which recently where there's still nobody, and there's been a man convicted of murder, all on circumstantial evidence because there's nobody, And it's interesting that you are sort of explaining that that's better evidence than witnesses, because humans do make errors, don't they. I think that's what people don't really understand, is that that eyewitness stuff isn't always as reliable as you might think.
Speaker 3: No, that's right. And I talk in my book about what o' neil tyson, who's a famous astrophysicist and presenter in the United States. He talks about how he was called up for jury service in the United States. And the judge said to the jurors before they were appointed in this case, there is only one witness, and that is an eyewitness to the robbery or the event, whatever it was. Do any of you have a problem with that? And he put up his hand and he said, if you've only got one eyewitness, and I've got a problem with that, because in the court of law, eyewitness evidence may be important, but in the court of science it's worth nothing. And if you've only got one eyewitness, it doesn't prove it's not going to prove anything. And the judge then turned around and said, oh, thank you for that. You'll be dismissed. And he said to the other juris, does anybody else want two eyewitnesses? And one of the juris said, hang on, he didn't say that, and within seconds of having explained why the judge as an ear witness, if you like, had got it wrong. He didn't get it either, And that's what humans do. We actually don't get it right. We don't hear things right, we don't see things right.
Speaker 1: So I think in court cases it's always better to trust the science, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Well, the good thing about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not, and it never changes. So yes, that is correct. And of course, getting back to the circumstantial evidence, the value of that is one of the analogies is that each piece of circumstantial evidence is like a thread in a rope, but itself it's not hugely strong. You plat them all together you get something that's actually quite strong and very difficult to break.
Speaker 1: And just going back to this perfect murder concept, do you write a lot about that?
Speaker 2: Is that even possible at this.
Speaker 1: Dan and age, with all the technology out there and experts like yourself, you know, working to lock up people that murders.
Speaker 3: Well, the perfect murder, of course it's possible, and of it, by definition, it will be one that I've never seen because you won't recognize it for what it is. And you know. One of the stories I like to tell is we actually can be quite bad at recognizing that a murder has occurred, and they've sort of semi humorous example that I use as Jack and the Beanstalk, which is a story that we tell our children. I tell my twenty twenty month old daughter that frequently. She loves the story. But this is a story of a young boy who gets involved in three different home invasions, steals from the homeowner, who chases him, and then he is murdered by the young boy. And this is not recognized as it's a straightforward homicide with home invasion. This just isn't recognized as a murder. It's put out as something quite moral in fact, and if you look at it, that's the perfect murder. And what you have to do in society. If you interachieve a perfect murder, it must be something that nobody will recognize. I'll look at it and say, no, it looks all right.
Speaker 1: Crime is something that fascinates us all and in recent years has been a real influx and true crime content documentaries, television series, movies, and podcasts, and there thousands focused on specific incidents or offenders and then there's the fictional crime shows, the Law and Orders, the CSIS, the Special Victor Unit, Criminal Minds, and countless others popping up week on week. In almost every iteration, there's a rock star pathologist who manages to crack the case with an hours, tying up every loose end nicely and neatly.
Speaker 2: Before they go home for the day.
Speaker 1: But how does it work in the real world? Do can reckon as colleagues find that golden taketive evidence as quickly is it even possible? And does it create unhelpful myths about their important work?
Speaker 3: The shows do seem to be pretty well never ending. I gather silent witnesses on its twenty seventh season now, which is it's just unbelievable. You know, somebody's got it must have very fertile imagination. No, it's not like that at all. It's everything has to be done meticulously, of course, but it's always a big puzzle until the end, and it all comes together only very slowly. And I guess what The shows don't show you because they can't. They can't show you that the investigations that pathologists do have got a very liquid component to them, and the smell is missing as well. You know, it is quite different from that. They very sanitized, I guess is the term I'm looking for. The pathologists never seem very messy to me, but I seem to get splashed quite a lot.
Speaker 1: And what are the best and worst parts of your job?
Speaker 3: I guess the best part is the absolute unknown of what's coming every day. That it could be a quiet day with nothing, but most of the time something completely unknown comes up. Now a lot of people say, no, the ideal job is you work from eight to five and you know you have your lunch break, and you know every day is the same as every other. I can't imagine anything more boring than that. And the best part of the job is just the amazing cases that come up endlessly, and it really is quite fascinating. And of course there's always a patient behind it, and that is the physicianally part of it. But I feel like I've solved a crossword puzzle or a sodoku, a difficult sudoku when I reach a diagnosis and it's a sort of Eureka moment and you feel really great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in that respect, it must be quite rewarding, even though often very grim.
Speaker 3: I imagine well, yeah, I guess we get immunized to it. In our particular group, we see thirty six thirty seven thousand biopsies on live patients every year, and probably, I don't know, twenty percent of them have got cancer. Every one of them's got a difficult story behind them. They're having the biopsy for a reason, and I guess we get used to that, and that's probably the routine part of our work. But still it's really gratifying when you know that you've got these out and you've got the answer and something can be done.
Speaker 2: And how has pathology changed over the years.
Speaker 1: You've been in this game for a very long time, and I imagine there's been a lot of changes and advancers tell me about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, of course there have been huge advances, of course, because there's been all the change with genetics and genomics and DNA and so on, which has changed our diagnostic work hugely. But I think you know, probably what people would understand best is what's happened in murder cases. Thirty years ago, when there was a murder case, the pathologist was the first to be called to the scene was closed off, and the pathologist to be the first in there to actually look at the body, look at the way the body was lying, look at the whole scene around there, so that the injuries and the cause of death could be closely related to what happened at the scene. And that was a critical part of a murder investigation. That changed about two things thousand to two thousand and five totally and it's quite different now. Two things changed immensely. The first one was DNA and now the scientists to collect DNA off the body of the first on the scene. They go in there and they swab the body from top to bottom, and even small fragments of DNA from the perpetrator the murderer will be found. That changed it hugely. The second thing that changed with security cameras. There are security cameras everywhere, and that of course is the ultimate eyewitness evidence that so far is reliable. I'm not saying they can't be falsified, but so far they proved reliable. And when there's a homicide, I think the police go and collect security cameras from everywhere in the whole area and they all get analyzed. And we saw that, for instance with the Grace Mulane and Jesse Kempson when Jesse Kempson murdered Grace Mulane back in December twenty eighteen, he had nowhere to go. I mean it was all on security camera, you know, him meeting up with her and going in the lift up to the room and so on. It was all there, and him going to the warehouse to buy suitcases and carrying the empty suitcases up and wheeling the full suitcases down. It was all there there. You know, what can you say?
Speaker 1: You just absolutely cannot argue with you know, the science and effects, even though many do no.
Speaker 3: And of course the most amazing story wasn't here. It was to do with Sarah Everard, the young woman who disappeared near Clapham Common Brixton Hill in London back and I think it was twenty twenty one, and she disappeared walking home one night, and I think there were huge vigils held on Clapham Common. I think Princess Kate went to them as well. And what had happened is she'd been picked up in an area where there were no security cameras, and of course she had because she was picked up by a Metropolitan policeman called Wayne Cousins, and he knew that there were no security cameras in the area, but unfortunately for him, and yet he had hired a Vauxhall car to carry the deed out. Unfortunately for him. The London buses are fitted with security cameras because the drivers get attacked, and two passing buses, the first bus on their camera they caught him talking to her standing next to the Vauxhall and the next bus that went past got the Vauxhall's registration number and from that they were able to find out that he had rented the car and track the car to Hoadwood near Ashford, where the body was found. And what can you do? I mean, there are no clues to be found. He would never have been found until he did it again, which is what the serial type murders often do. He would never have been found, but there's no no where to go it he's absolutely stitched up completely. So that those are the two big changes.
Speaker 1: What would be the biggest misconception about your job and your work that people have?
Speaker 3: I think that probably again, it's around life and death. I think most people know that pathologists do autopsies and that's our signature dish if you like, and they know about us dealing with bodies that are dragged out of the river and shark attacks and all this sort of thing. But what they don't know about is the work that we do with living patients, the diagnostic work. Like the woman with breast cancers. We work out what hormones that the cancers respond to, We work out what chemotherapeutic drugs they can use, and we do this on a whole host of cancers. So we're involved with what sort of backroom technology around diagnosing people and getting them on the right treatment path. All of that is, you know, it hasn't got the glamour of investigating a murder, but I don't think many people know that pathologists do that, or if they do, it's below the visual horizon.
Speaker 1: And all that work is just so so important, isn't it to the community?
Speaker 3: And you know it is when it's your biopsy?
Speaker 1: And why did you decide to write about your career? You know, this is your third book, as you said, part of the trilogy. You're presenting your knowledge, you know, in a really deep dive sort of way.
Speaker 2: What led you to write the books?
Speaker 3: Well? I think it says I often quote Rally who said, the time takes up all that we have and shuts the story of our days in a dark and silent tomb. And that struck me as true of all the many, many hours are spent doing autopsy. So I would write out these reports send them to the coroner, and that was pretty well lit. You know, the families didn't know, nobody knew what their story were. And I thought, well, you know, I'm really I'm not an author, I'm a historian. I'll write down what I saw and how it presented to me. And I started doing this, and the families were just so grateful. You know. I'd phone them up and I'd say, look, I'm writing a story about your loved one. You know, I'm really sorry to come and raise this all up again. And they were just so supportive, and they said, no, you must tell the story, you must use their name. We want to hear it. All. We didn't know anything about any of this. And you know, once I started doing that, one thing led to another, and of course I ended up then writing more and more about the living patients too, and talking to them and writing their stories too, And about half of them are very happy for me to use their name and tell their story. And about half of them I changed the name or fictionalize the setting to protect identities.
Speaker 1: I guess that raises a good point. A lot of the work that you would have done over the years in the criminal space, if there isn't a guilty plan, it doesn't go to trial. People don't often hear, you know, the pathology expert evidence, do they, And they don't know what's gone on behind the scenes and the evidence that was there if it had gone to trial.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's right, And sometimes it works the other way round. I had dealt with a young child who had been murdered by his mother's boyfriend, and it was the second time that he had done carried out the same type of murder, and the evidence was being heard before the Justices of the peace who had to make a determination whether there was enough evidence for him to go to trial. The man involved had said he was not guilty, of course, and I came and gave my evidence, which he sat there and listened to, and then afterwards he said, no one to change my plea to guilty. I don't know whether that was because of what I said, but I was quite clear about what had happened, and he changed his plea and there never was a formal trial in the sense of everything being heard. So sometimes it goes that way too, you know, the story is just never told.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what do you want people to take away from the final diagnosis.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting question. I guess death has been pretty well sanitized in the West. I mean, we've outsourced it to funeral directors, to the police, to the doctors and bodies and the dead or removed from our site. They go to a place unseen and the whole thing's dealt with in a very sanitary way. And I think it's probably not the best way to deal with it. I would rather that people see death as really part of being alive. You can't outsource your grief. Understand death, know about it. It is important to know why your loved ones died, you know. I think is a move against having all chopsysse days. I think it's very civilized to know that why people died and what happened, and occasionally you get big surprises. So I guess my message would be death is with us. It is us, it is part of us. We're all going there one day and we should accept it as part of our normal lives.
Speaker 1: Kenrick's book is available now at all of the usual retailers, libraries, and as an e book for those of you who prefer to read on your device. The work of pathologists has been crucial to many of the cases I've covered in a Moment in crime. Their analysis of evidence has led to the convictions of dozens of killers and sex offenders. They've helped so of cold cases and explain the most bizarre of crimes. They're also doing a lot of really important work for the community, helping to diagnose diseases and in some cases working hard on developing treatments and cures. Kinrick's work over the years is fascinating and compelling, and across his three books you can get a good insight into how pathologists really contribute to crime and justice.
Speaker 3: There's a saying that writing is the art of turning blood into ink, but I think in my case this probably literally is a case of turning blood into ink. It's been an easy journey for me to write. People often ask why do you write? How do you write? I just tell the story, you know, they're not it's not what I think. I could never write fiction. I just tell the story of what I saw and what I thought and what became of my patients.
Speaker 1: A Moment in Crime is an enzed Me podcast written and hosted by me analysk sandor crime and justice reporter for the New Zealand Herald. This episode was produced by myself, podcast production manager Ethan Sills and Liam McDonald from enzied me Sound and Vision.
Speaker 2: Thanks to my colleague Black Benny at Newstalalk z B for.
Speaker 1: Voicing the extract of Kinrick's book, The Final Diagnosis, and special thanks to Kinrick for sitting down to speak with me about his book and his career. The world of pathologists has always intrigued and interested me, and I really appreciated being able to speak to.
Speaker 2: Kinrick about his work.
Speaker 1: Thanks also to Hollyhart Jenkins at HarperCollins for her assistance with the interview. Episodes of A Moment in Crime are usually released monthly on insidherld dot co, dot mzed iHeartRadio and all your.
Speaker 2: Other usual podcast apps.
Speaker 1: If you've got a crimeal case you'd like me to consider covering in future, email Anna dot Least at enzdme dot co dot mzed