Speaker 1: Okay there, and welcome back to the Mad Monday Podcast, brought to you as always by four and twenty pis first podcast for this week, out on a Thursday.
Speaker 2: We thought we'd save it up for the finals preview. My name is Teno Farsu A Monday are we and I am joined by twenty twenty four players, Player of the Year ad and Vanua Kezy Afternoon, Keyzy Get.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize that one. That's awesome. Congratulations man. Well, it's been a big it's been a massive year, and to be honest, I think I have sort of carried us in the middle there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure. It's noticeable when you go off the podcast. You know, we sort of we go off the boil for a little bit. Yeah, we tend to lead in a lot of tries, that's right. Sort Of around halfway through the podcast.
Speaker 3: There's also, like, you know, rumors going around that while I am quite good, I do bring a toxic energy maybe to the changing room. And I just like to say, I don't give a shit. I'm off to another podcast next year, so I don't even care.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, there was that time where we won the game and we came in to celebrate and sing the team song, and you fucked off out to some other podcasts or something. Yeah, that's right, Or we were all singing the team the podcast song. Yeah, but I don't care.
Speaker 3: I pretty much carried you guys there, So you guys can go sing a little song if you want. But all I care about is winning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent. Speaking of winning, And look, this could be an early crow. We're on a TV show tonight. It's called Game of Two Halves? Heard of it the ACC does What.
Speaker 2: Was your first question when you when you heard Game of two Halves is coming back?
Speaker 1: Where is Matthew reg and Mark Ellis?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, I know the answer to this question. Yeah, you can't afford Mark Ellis and Matthew Ridge. No one knows where he is.
Speaker 1: I think he was in the office there.
Speaker 3: He was in the office the other day.
Speaker 1: Was very weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because he owns obviously. I don't know if he still does carfe in Green Lane, the car grooming company there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just out there yesterday.
Speaker 3: Is he still there?
Speaker 1: Didn't see him. It's just right next to the pork Mart.
Speaker 3: Pork May is a weird little supermarket area around there.
Speaker 2: Porkmart and then there's a sushi joint right next to it. Would you buy sushi from the place next to Porkmart? Probably not anyway, So that is debuting tonight depending on when you're listening to this Thursday night eight thir m on Sky Open, which is the one on Freeview. So if you have Freeview, if you can watch any TV on your TV, yeah you have that. Otherwise, if you've got Sky, I think it's on Sky Sport one.
Speaker 3: Well, if you're listening to an NRL podcast, I can only assume you have Sky so you can watch NRL. Yeah, so go on sky go if you're free letting off your parents account or something like that, or skysport now, if that's what you use eight thirty tonight. How are you feeling about being part of your first with a TV shirt?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Good, pretty exciting.
Speaker 2: Well, it's pretty low stakes as well, because I already know the feedback for the first episode is going to be with Matthew, Richard Mark Ellis. So that's the funny thing about it. What does it matter what we're going to do out there?
Speaker 3: Well, one thing, Laura came in and I know you've been wheeled around every station, getting with Laura and doing the car washer. Yeah, caught the car wash. You've been right through, You've been on every station. She was on our show on Hadarky, and I asked her. I was like, do you feel and I want to know if you feel this, do you feel a genuine responsibility to make sure the show is funny? No? Why not?
Speaker 1: I do? Oh? You do?
Speaker 3: Because I'm so sick of all these rehashes and people are bringing shit back nowadays. They've run out of ideas. It's not that this is the situation. They've run out of ideas. They're rebooting eighties sitcoms, like making sequels to movies that should just be left alone and that all shit. Yeah, and I don't want this to be another one of those.
Speaker 2: Well if you go, well, no, but the thing is people are gonna and if you listen as you would have watched probably Sports Cafe and gave it two house back in the day, it's never going to be the same.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 2: The other part of it is you only remember the good parts of it, Like you only remember that and all of that. But if you went back and watched an episode, you'd be like, oh, there were a few more misses than there were hurts in this which.
Speaker 3: And the reason we say that is because we were sent all the old episodes and I watched about maybe five just on in the background, and I was like, there were very funny moments in it, but it is very much of its time, a lot of people talking over the top of one another and yelling and stuff. So there's going to be a bit of that tonight as well. Yeah, of course there is. I do feel a responsibility to make sure it's funny because when I think of old shows from when I was younger, yeah, Rose tinted Glasses, I remember them being five hundred percent funnier than they actually were, And I just want to make sure no one tunes in goes this is shit. They should have left it alone.
Speaker 1: Well, I reckon, you've really opened yourself up to people that listen to this podcast giving you raw and honest feedback about whether you were funny or not on the show.
Speaker 2: But if you want to make your own judgments about that, it's on tonight eight thirty pm. As we said, I'm sure there'll be some sort of on demand thing about it as well. And we don't have any rugby league guests on this week. We've got Joey Wheeler, mikayeleab b Lyde and Brody Kane's on our team and you and then Matt Heath is the captain of the other team.
Speaker 1: So yeah, tune into that. But look, let's talk about some actual national rugby league because despite the fact that our Warriors aren't in, it still goes on. I want to get through some of the headlines here, but before I do, have you heard anything about the Warriors Mad Monday? So they had their prize giving on Sunday night. No, so they've gone full zero dark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I presume they went into med Monday straight afterwards.
Speaker 3: Yes, which, and we've talked about this before. We were informed by a former Warrior that basically it's on the I think they did it on the Sunday. So when was the awards night Sunday?
Speaker 1: Sunday?
Speaker 3: So on the Monday, they all are picked up by vans. Yep, their phones are taken off them, they are ushered away and then at any point if anyone wants to go home, there are drivers ready to take players home. It's a full lockdown situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The apparently the drivers are like just idling out in the car park, that's right. And they've got a full team sit with their addresses on it, so they don't even need to talk to you.
Speaker 1: That's right. Just get in the back of the uber and it's just like yep, sweet.
Speaker 3: You try and tell them a different address, they say, nah, I'm dropping you off at this. Yes, I've got right here.
Speaker 1: That's right. I'm understrict instruction.
Speaker 3: By the way.
Speaker 1: The doors are locked. You can't get out. The kiddy locks on.
Speaker 3: And I mean this was sort of a ten years ago type explanation of how they handle it. But I haven't heard anything from a Warrior's Mad Monday.
Speaker 1: No in a long time.
Speaker 3: That's right. So they've got it on lockdown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a bit sad that they can't be out in the wild. I talked about this with Lane on the Agenda podcast I think last week. He said he got involved in Warrior's Mad Monday one year done at the Viaduct.
Speaker 1: He said, Oh, and Gutenbill his pubes.
Speaker 2: On fire, his pubes or Arwen's pubes own lit his own pubes on fire.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Now, have a guess if Mike Lane turned around and then lit his own pubes on fire. Of course Jeek Lane did. Of course you did, but and I do. I just missed that part of it. I mean I missed it because I was too young. But I just wish that, you know, we ruined it with all the cameras and filming people.
Speaker 1: You know, it would be awesome if you were just like.
Speaker 3: Did we run it? Not us? What did The NRL players are in it? Obviously by filming one another and shit, but also doing a lot of pretty messed up stuff.
Speaker 1: But yeah, look, as long as no one's getting hurt, I feel like they should be able to do it out in public. But that's exactly why.
Speaker 2: There's too many phones, so everyone's going to record everything that's right. And I suppose that leads us straight seamlessly into the first and biggest headline in the NRL this week. Joshadow car pulled over submitted to a random drug test across the state I think of Victoria. They carried out ten thousand of these like random drug tests on the roadside. They caught four hundred people allegedly one of them was Josh adocat right, the news story comes out, Oh, he's tested positive for drugs at a cocaine on a roadside drug test. Then Phil Gold comes out and says, no, he hasn't. There's absolutely no truth to that at all. Oh, okay, Phil Good tied up with the club. Then another news story comes out from the police saying no, he actually did test positive. Now they're testing a second sample. Then this story is saying the second sample was clean, it was hot, it wasn't. And now in the long short of it is he stood himself down for week one of the finals.
Speaker 3: Which, okay, the police isn't going to go out on a live and say no, he did test positive for cocaine. Why would the police be lying, you know what I mean? No, he tested positive for cocaine. You know, Also, if he was definitely innocent, he'd be like, what the hell, I'm definitely playing this week and he's stood himself down. Yeah, apparently, what was it? So that the team could concentrate and so it wouldn't be a distraction. How much of a huge blowout is it? You go to the Bulldogs who haven't been in the finals in like almost a decade. I think it's about eight years. Yeah, you're one of the marquee signings, you're the leader in the group, You're the guy in the backs that really chirps and gets everyone running.
Speaker 2: You're in charge of the boombox at practice. Oh, you're in charge of the boom box. You know, probably lead the team song.
Speaker 3: I would say absolutely, let's trot boys and then do the team song. That's his role. Yeah, he's come from the Melbourne Storm and just as they finally make the finals, he gets tested positive for drugs.
Speaker 2: He had a week off, so he played in the second last game. Then he had like a minor ankle twinge and so he's like, I'm out for this week.
Speaker 1: You couldn't have just like one week. You couldn't have given it a brother.
Speaker 2: When we finish, throw your phone into the ocean and go healthily the whatever you want to.
Speaker 3: Do over it, throw your nose into an ocean of cocaine. But right now, just have a week off, maybe have a few beers. It's just such a blowout. It's such an own goal as the most rugby league shit of all time, it really is. So I'm a bit like, I'm not a huge Bulldogs fan. They might be my second team this year, but that was such a blow up from Josh Haadoca. Yeah, they are my second team for this year and just because of all the off field stuff. I think we've talked about it on this podcast before, but there's riots in the street when the Bulldogs win at the moment. That's right.
Speaker 2: Their fans are kind of punishing. Yeah that flipping cars and they would be. But I don't live over in Sydney. I don't know too much about in a area or whatever. I just love that people are getting this fired up for rugby league, so I want them to make a deep run. This is the most rugby league owned goal of all time. To now miss that if they lose this week and get knocked out of the finals, like that's how this season finished.
Speaker 3: And we're going to get to this in a wee bit is it's up in the air. Wow, one hundred percent, especially after last week's game. Yeah, it could go either way.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Josh Haddaka, what a massive, massive own goal, classic rugby league off field scandal. And like on the I can't remember what podcast I was on the other day, we compared it to I don't know if you follow the NFL, but Tyreek Hill, who's like the number one wide receiver, you know, he got pulled over in a Black Ferrari on the way to the game for a speeding violation. The cops pulled him out and like basically threw him on the ground. There's a bit of police brutality, blah blah blah. And all he did was a speeding violation, which I actually haven't seen whether they gave him the ticket or not. Right, Josh had o'ka got lit goat, but he teasts a positive for cocaine, And just like shop back, didn't they go.
Speaker 3: Wow, Well, in that case, he mustn't have had too much in a system.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I think it was like he did it on the weekend and then it showed up in his system, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's just so yeah.
Speaker 2: Not to just go on and on about it. But on the one hand, you've got like just wait until the end of the season. But then on the other hand, you've got part of what makes him one of the greatest NRL players going around at the moment is.
Speaker 1: That he's nuts.
Speaker 2: He runs the boombox, he's very a memorable he seems like a real laugh. Is that part of what makes him who is?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Anyway, He's out for a round run of the finals is Adam g who refereed the Grand Final last year. And I think it's important that we give him as flowers because the Grand Final last year was widely herald it as like one of the best officiated games of rugby league.
Speaker 1: Gave but it was, wasn't it?
Speaker 3: Well they said it was. Yeah, they said it was the best officiated game of rugby league since I think there was a game in the early two thousands that they compared it to. It was like that was the last time a game was that And it was because he was willing to overlook a few things and keep it free flowing. Yeah, which meant for the first time in a long time, people actually a rallying around a referee you instead of just bagging the shit out of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know, and so I think it's important to bring it up. But I wrote down a note in here. I just wanted to know, is this news that a referee is not referee this week?
Speaker 1: I think it is.
Speaker 3: Too because there's four games, there's four refs that they clearly think are better than Yeah, you know what I mean? Like, so is he the fifth beast Rif I don't, I don't think so. Yeah, is he a touchy for any of these games?
Speaker 1: Probably?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Yeah, I don't know. Are they resting him, is in the bunker. Maybe they're resting him because they wont him for the Grand Final?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think it is I think it is news. But I also don't think we are qualified to speak on referring. You know, we can talk about rugby league. All we do is slag off the wrist, that's right. Yeah, So maybe a warrior's supporter put her head out on him.
Speaker 2: Perhaps, Yeah, he's cooling down for a week. Maybe he's stood himselfself down after a roadside test.
Speaker 1: We don't know. We don't know all of the facts. Did you see that Tom Trabohovitch has put a book out? You've printed off the run sheet here with a photo of the book cover. This is literally the first time I've seen or heard anything about it. Same here.
Speaker 2: I just came across it and read it this morning when I was deep and real. Yeah, the Turbo Pup by Tom Traboiovitch. It's got a picture of a dog in front of it. It isn't manly colors as well, makes no reference to manly so he ever leaves the club, he can still keep selling this book. What percentage of the National Rugby League do you think can read that? Well, it's a kid's book, so I'm going to say sixty percent. It's written with Fiona Harrison, illustrated by Shane McGee.
Speaker 1: It wasn't written with her, it was written by her. And wow, just the comments on social media around this had been excellent. That apparently reads it to Jake and Ben when he tucks him up in bed, Jake gives it two thumbs up, and someone else said, I went to try and buy this this morning and tore my hamstring and I can't finish it for six to eight weeks.
Speaker 3: It'd be funny if they released anyone called the Gerbo Pup, which is just a sort of oh a mankey looking pug.
Speaker 1: And then part three the Burbo Pug. Yeah, Pup, Pug, Burbo pub.
Speaker 3: Well, good on, Tom Traboy, bitch. I like the idea of diversifying. Yeah, and it's not often that literature and rugby league go hand in hand.
Speaker 2: No, in fact, never so available in all good bookstores. I reckon you might find yourself a bargain and the old bargain bin I suspect let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk a little bit of Warriors before we get into the awards, and I want to break down all of the awards that were dished out. On Sunday night, Stacy Pierrett took to the Mad Monday Munters group and posted this, which I thought we could talk about without wanting to touch up the course too much. The one thing we must do next year is get a regular lineup kicker of quality. We had five games with a winning margin was under four and we missed two to three conversions in each with an accuracy rating of between twenty five and sixty seven. If we had a kicker in the regular lineup with an accuracy of seventy five percent or better, we'd be playing the Cowboys this week. Wow, we used four kickers this season. S Ja was the best and he's gone. Pompey is the next most accurate, but he will struggle to hold a spot. Metcalf has an accuracy of seventy five percent this season, so if he doesn't snap in half again or lose a spot, then perhaps he is it.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Ccht has awesome at so many things, but perhaps better at writing about kicking than actually having.
Speaker 1: To do it.
Speaker 2: I really appreciated this. I do agree. I think Metcalfe is probably the answer. Well, I know the answer.
Speaker 1: What's the answer.
Speaker 3: Do you want to know? Do you want the answers to the exam right now? Yes, Tain Turpikey at fallback, at fullback, Chance at center. And the funny thing about this is, if Sean was fully healthy, we wouldn't be having this discussion. He would have kicked all season. He would his confidence would be up, and it wouldn't have been an issue. I think there's a good point about metcalf and his injuries as well. The issue was every week we had a different freaking kicker. Yeah, it was just so disrupted. But still, when I think clutch and I think worriy is, no one comes to my other than Tin Turpeiky, who slotted the field goal from the sideline to beat the Panthers at Magic Around. The dude's twelve years old. He's already so clutch he is. It's just such a hate him. May No, I don't hate him, you hate his guards.
Speaker 2: I just think if you've got Roger toy Vasishik and Chance and Nicole Clock's there.
Speaker 3: In the centers. It's like the roosters of Joey Marno.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they also have Tedesco, who's one of the greatest fullbacks ever here but like potentially Dally Am, but it's it's Keanu Kenny for the Titans. Here.
Speaker 3: Aj Bremson's there, but they use they're trying to figure out way to put Aj Brimson because Kenny is such a young, awesome talent. Like our both centers and both wings could be big ball running guys, so that we could have a really elusive, fast running fullback that just so happens to be really clutching, a really good kicker. Yeah, this is my theory.
Speaker 2: It's going to be hard to fit someone in. But I actually this is the first research I've ever actually done for a podcast. But I sat down and crutched the numbers. I went through every game. I've even put a spreadsheet on the bottom of the rundown.
Speaker 3: So is that what this Microsoft Excel type situation is?
Speaker 1: It's Google sheets, is what that is. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I went through and I pot all of the results from the year from the Warriors, and then I went through and recalculated the results the scores for if we made every single conversion that we attempted, which isn't a fierce step because the other team may missed them as well. So I went through all of the scores for the Warriors games and then adjusted them for everyone made every kick all year for and against the Warriors, right, So it changed. So we finished the season ten one and thirteen. That one draw against the Seagle was at the start of the year. That wasn't enough points to get through into the finals. If every team, if us and our opponents made all of our kicks, we would have finished twelve two and ten.
Speaker 3: So two more wins and one extra draw, two.
Speaker 1: More wins, one extra draw, which would have us finishing on thirty two points, which was good enough for the eight. Which is similar to what Stacy Parrott was saying in the Mad Monday Munts group. So it is our kicking just to let us down.
Speaker 3: What you're saying is that if we kicked one hundred percent all season.
Speaker 1: And our opponents did as well.
Speaker 3: That we still would to come eighth.
Speaker 2: We would have made the top eight. Yeah, we'd be in the finals. We finished like fourteenth or fifteenth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you'd have to kick. I, oh, yes it is. And we've known this too, that we got our kicking has been woefull this season. Yes, but everyone said that's why we're on the top eight.
Speaker 1: I was like, is it? So I crunched the numbers and it is. It fucking is.
Speaker 2: But if the opponent only kicked their you know what they actually kicked in real life, and we made all of our kicks, we'd be like sixth.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, So the solution take the post off the field. I've said this for a long time. Kicking is a completely different game than rugby league. Just make it about scoring tries.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: If we invented rugby league tomorrow, we would not put posts on the field. So my solution there is I take the post off the patch four. The Sikos that want to know, we would have run won the round six draw with Manly and we would have the golden point losses against the Bulldogs. Yeah, and the Dolphins would have been draws. Those would have been those two draws.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay. I just still think it's funny that even if we kick one hundred percent of our goals, we still just come eighth. Like it's been quite a bad season. So the terrible goal kicking certainly has not helped.
Speaker 1: No, it's yeah, it's the only difference between us making the eight or not.
Speaker 3: Though I feel yeah, I feel like if you did that to another team, it would be like we would be third, you know what I mean. But fast, it's just making the eighth. I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's like six positions jump up the table just because of one portion of the game, which I don't feel like should be part of the game.
Speaker 3: Because the try is called to try because you to try and try and convert it. Right. So literally, when they started this game, they built the whole thing around kicking goals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it was soccer and someone picked the ball up and ran with it. Yeah, and then they were like, well, how's this going to We'll hang on. Why don't we extend the post blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just think I don't know. If it didn't exist, I don't think we would invent it. Yeah, take the post. I'm starting the petition. Now take the post off the field.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna started taining to a picky petition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, it'd be interesting to see who's got more luck with that. Twenty twenty four Warriors Awards. It was the Night of Knights on Sunday nights they dished out all of the annual club awards. I think it's a bit presumptive that they ski ed this before the playoffs every year, and last year was the first time that we saw this happen, and we're like, hang on a second. They had their Night of Knights and then they had to play Week one of the playoffs against the Knights. Last year, schedule it for the end of the season, but every team is done.
Speaker 3: Every team does that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think Big Dick move next year's schedule it after the Grand Final. It's like we're going to be busy deep into October, so well havever our Awards night after that. Anyway, the awards read thusly, and I'll run them past you. You tell me if you disagree with any of them.
Speaker 3: Simon Mannering Mitchell Barnett's that's basically Player of the Year MVP.
Speaker 1: Basically, yeah, one hundred percent agree.
Speaker 3: Mitch Barnett has had a career year with the Warriors, which isn't something we thought we'd say last year when he came in had that neck injury, potentially retiring rowing surgery, can't kick goals anymore, like a pretty who was it the Knights? I think before he came here, it's like a pretty okay Backerer for the Knights, and he's come here and he was one of the best player in the entire game until the Warriors were no longer in the running and they started massively limiting his minutes. He's been excellent.
Speaker 1: But effective in the minutes that he was out there.
Speaker 2: I think for the Simon Matoring midle, there's Mitch Barnett, Daylight, Shawn Johnson, and then anyone else I think to be honest, and only because it was Shawn's last season, but I think, yeah, Simon Mannering meddle. No one would disagree with Mitch Barnett. And also I know it's named after Simon Mannering, but it is just the MVP of the season. Yes, but he embodies everything that he's very much a Simon Mannering player.
Speaker 3: And like the one game where we got absolutely embarrassed, that sixty six to six game against the Gold Coast Titans, he wasn't playing. He was in the squad for New South Wales.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I can't disagree with that. Now do you agree with this one? The NRL players player and Infanua Blake? I do agree with it.
Speaker 3: He was he when he was on the field ball in hand, he was our most devastating and effective player. He made not that many mistakes, a few drop balls and things, but he's the most consistent.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: He was one of our only ways to actually open. Like we really struggle with attack this year, and him charging through and getting an offload away or a quick player of the ball was probably our most effective line of attack.
Speaker 2: I think there's one other thing at play here. Who the fuck wants to vote against Aden faneur Blake in that.
Speaker 3: I had a picture of him holding like the club manager up against a wall and saying, I better get win this prize.
Speaker 1: Which one of you didn't vote for me. I agree.
Speaker 3: Let's give him the middle and then he'll be leaving next year.
Speaker 1: Take it with you. N RL Clubman of the Year.
Speaker 2: I don't really know exactly what this means, but Luke Metcalf won that one.
Speaker 3: Just a guy who spent a lot of time around the club. He is a great guy. He's really friendly fella. He's been on this podcast before, and he was excellent. He was sitting out in the foil when I asked Jess Tavanga how his rehab was going, and he wasn't in rehab. Yeah, as soon as I came out, got a spray from Luke Metcalf's The fuck was that, man?
Speaker 1: If you've not done any actual Yeah? Yeah, yeah he was joking, but it was.
Speaker 2: Good sort of. It actually relieved my some of my nerves. So yeah, here is the Clubman of the Year, NRL Rookie of the Year. Now, this one could have gone many different ways, I think, but I do think it ended up in the right hands.
Speaker 1: This is Jacob Laban.
Speaker 3: Yep, no, his this season was certainly a season four great debuts and promising young talent who are going to be playing for us for the foreseeable future. A few of those other players that were coming through your Liquahala Seemas and Halilatawa Ali Latta of course was great, but dimitric Cipercula, yes, and then he had Zamo who came on and had a barn storm of a game after we got pumped. I think Laban was the most consistent his very first game. I still remember he came off the bench and I was instantly like, this guy is a beast. I love him. I still remember him having I was thinking, this is one of the best debuts I've seen in a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then and he had a good run there in the middle of the season.
Speaker 3: He had a great run, whereas a couple of those other guys they had a real shocker one game where they missed a crap load of tackles and dropped the ball heaps. So Jacob Labor most consistent, and to be honest, I think they were everyone who debuted for us. Great crop, Oh really great. Absolutely, it's going to be a bright future.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One hundred and the final award was the one New Zealand People's Choice. People got to vote on this one. Everyone voted for Mitch Barnett. Can't argue against that either.
Speaker 3: Actually, I just thought of someone who could also be in the running for the Simon Manoring Middle and the one New Zealand People's Choice Chance Nuckled Clocksta. Every game he runs so hard, he makes so many tackles, he plays with so much heart. He is like the Mitch Barnett of the back line.
Speaker 1: The back line. Yeah, and you want to replace what I.
Speaker 3: Mean at center, So do as much WORKMANI And he's so good with his hands and being a link man. You want a second contact, give him as little middle as people's choice middle and second, and.
Speaker 2: Just to whip through the new South Wales Cup team. It was Mila Grand's off for just one everything.
Speaker 3: Oh right, best player, blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take more quick back when we come back. We're going to preview the finals as four games. We're gonna have a quick whip through there and then blast a hunch into the tb app off the back of that will be right back four games in round one, and they read thusly the first game Storm versus the Sharks. This is no in chronological order, so this will be very confusing for you at home. But this is based off ranking, So the Storm, because we're looking at the I have to see the image of how the playoffs work in the NRL every year to understand. Yeah, absolutely, I know it's easy and someone will be rolling their eyes listening to this, but I just mathematically in my head, I have to look at it Storm verus Sharks. That's one four, that's one v four. It's the minor Premiers. I mean it has to be the Storm, doesn't it. Oh, look, the Sharks.
Speaker 3: The Sharks have this knack for upsetting for really, Like I go big on the Sharks losing against a team like a Panthers or something, and somehow they can pull out wins against tough teams. For example, did you know that they haven't lost a single game this season while playing in the daytime and this game is at daytime.
Speaker 1: I did not know that.
Speaker 3: Now, So the Sharks are really good at playing on a dry trail. It's not super that's six pm here, but it's four pm over in Australia. They Malbourne have only won one of their last five games in the finals. So they've been knocked out of the finals three years in a row in the first round pretty.
Speaker 1: Much, Okay, they win four years ago, yeah.
Speaker 3: And then since then they've won one of their past five oh right, finals games. Yeah yeah. But it's just like, I don't think it's going to be as comprehensive as we think it is going to be. Even though the Storm of the Minor Premiers is my personal opinion, I.
Speaker 2: Do just think and I know we pay him a bit of lip service. I think Jerome Hughes, despite the fact that he's probably front runner for DELM, may even still be underrated. You know, when we look at massive halves, like game breaking halves, often will put bits on just because they've got to do on their team. I've been spending money on the couch just because of Tommy dierdon't. Yeah, right, like teams have these gangster haves. I mean, fuck the Sharks. You know with Nico Heinz, people have been doing that for a couple of years now as well well.
Speaker 3: And he's yeah, he's a shallo of his former self.
Speaker 1: And Hughes is it like he's the guy?
Speaker 3: He is the guy. I what the guy who had a hat trick and two tryst this last week or something. Yeah, exactly if they can limit Hughes, I think Melbourne's defense isn't like if you can just run through Nick Meaney and Will Warbricks still is still learning to play rugby league. Like I think he is a practising player, great finisher, great finisher, but shit, he is still like figuring out where he needs to be on defense and things like that. So I think there are gaps and also daytime the Sharks backline is electric when it gets going.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you think Sharks?
Speaker 3: No, I think Storm will win, but I think it's going to be a close game.
Speaker 2: By the way, for our TV hunch this week, let's put this together in real time. Let's pick a winner from each of the games. So I'm going to add Storm to the betslip. But I do think that it's going to be a good game. Yeah, to watch the next one.
Speaker 3: Fact, if I had to put a hunch on, it would be whoever's going up against Warbrick, So war Bricks on the right side, which would be Mollitala m That's who I would bet on to score a try. But Melbourne to win would be a nice little one too, I think. Okay, it's my spitborn here.
Speaker 1: So the next game on our list is five plays eight. That's the Cowboys versus the Knights section of the last game of the round.
Speaker 2: It's very confusing. It's not at all any Cowboys v. Nights the Knights. Would it surprise you to know that there are three dollars and five cents outsiders?
Speaker 3: I think, like the Cowboys flip a coin. Are they going to play amazing or are they going to play shit? Yeah? But I think that's starting to get a bit of a roll on heading into this and I think the Knights really struggle to They're not the Knights of last season where Ponger would come on link up and Greek Marje would score a hat trick in the corner.
Speaker 1: Every week nine games in a row.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just I think that's struggling a bit the Knights to actually generate points, whereas the cow Boys are coming into their own. I think the Cowboys going to win that one.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll check the Cowboys and the bit slip there. Look this one.
Speaker 3: These are the ones that if the Malti is going to be blown, it's going to be these this game or the Bulldogs Eagles.
Speaker 1: This one is just like does Ponga go super said? That's right or not?
Speaker 2: And I don't know. I mean, it's the same thing I was talking about with Hughes. It's just like, are you bidding on the superstar being too good for the other team.
Speaker 3: I think Pongo will go super sad, but they need them to be super said like level two? Yeah, right, even three with the long hair, yeah absolutely, yeah, that's three.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then what's the one where they're like full red here all over them is at four four.
Speaker 3: Is when they go black here and then get weird red sort of monkeys.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, right, Oh look, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, these are the ones they are going to bust open the multi I was nights right up until I saw the three dollars and five cents. Hey, man, up, be a sheep and I trust your gut. What's the point of having a gut if you can't trust it.
Speaker 1: I just I don't know. Three dollars is a scary amount.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Let's go to the next one, Bulldogs versus Seagles.
Speaker 1: This is actually the last game of the round. We're doing it the second last. This one's the closest at the tab. Canterbary banks Down Bulldogs dollar ninety five, Manly Seagulls dollar eighty seven. This one genuinely for me as a coin toss. But I did I did say.
Speaker 2: I'm throwing my hat in the ring with the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs as my secondary team. I want to see them go deep into the season. The Josh Hadowkarstuffski is the purse out of me going into this game.
Speaker 3: What about the fact that a couple of weeks ago. The Seagulls beat the Bulldogs thirty four to twenty two. Yeah, on the thirtieth of August, which was two rounds ago. I know, what about the fact that Steve I don't think Stephen Crichton was playing for that game. What about the fact that Tom Turbo is out I am now writing kids books like that. I feel like the Seagulls can skill, still score a lot of points. Their backline still has these super fast guns with daily Cherry Evans in the middle, but no Tomo. I also think the Seagles through the middle have just got a stronger forward pack. Like it's just this, Yeah, it's a real toss of the coin. Can the book I think with the game has actually been played in Where is this one? It is on Sunday Stadium, Australia, so it's in Sydney Bulldogs home turf. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Uh, I'm gonna say Bulldogs. I'm gonna say Bulldogs. See my vibes, says Manly.
Speaker 3: But go with your You're the anchor, okay, I'm anchoring this bit.
Speaker 1: You're the team captain and I ah.
Speaker 2: And then the last game of our multi which is the ghost game of the round which is the Panthers versus the Roosters.
Speaker 1: I think Panthers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I just think Sam Walker and Brandon Smith a CL's last week. They will be scrambling the Roosters. The Panthers have been so far off the boil lately though as well.
Speaker 3: The Panthers've got Yeah, Edward's injured Cleary back, but he'll be rusty.
Speaker 1: He will be very rusty. I wonder if they've rushed him as well.
Speaker 3: The Panthers have been clunky, as you mentioned the Roosters. No, Sam Walker, that's huge. That is going to massage the whole way they kind of play because he's been such a massive part of it. They've still got guys like Joey Marno, James Tidiesco. They also lost Brandon Smith. They got Cary there as well, who like he's a pretty freaking good player. Yeah, I'm young. Don Yelm is going to be there. I think Penrith will win this. I also think we'll get a glimpse of Penrith clicking into finals mode.
Speaker 2: It's experienced, isn't it it is? They have won nine straight. We always finals games For some reason. I think most people just think about the Panthers as Nathan Cleary. Yeah, I know we were just talking about superstars been the whole reason you play bets on, but I feel like they are more than that, and I don't think that that, you know, and also the experience thing they've been there that many times.
Speaker 3: Do you want James Fisher Harris coming to the Warriors having won again, or do you want him coming to the Warriors pest off that he didn't get to win one last time with the Panthers having one again?
Speaker 1: I think you reckon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't want him like annoyed and desperate to win another one with the Warriors now.
Speaker 2: I want him to walk in and for all of those young guys to be like fuck, every time he's walked onto a field in the National Rugby League, he has won the competition in the last four years, So I think, yeah, I think that's where IM going to go. So if we just looking back on at Melbourne Storm, Cowboys, Bulldogs, Panthers, you multi those all up, that's paying four dollars eighty nine and we put one hundred dollars bonus cash on that, thank so our mates at the TIRB And that's paying four hundred and eighty nine dollars, so we'll place that one on the now. And it's also just a great way to keep yourself interested in the first round of the playoffs when the Warriors aren't.
Speaker 3: They well, to be honest that this week just gone. I had a sort of purge week where I just went full, the Warriors are done. Yeah, the finals are starting soon. I don't really care who makes that last spot, you know, So I just didn't watch the NR. Yeah, I didn't listen to any podcasts. I went full, like week are Dark thirty because I'm about to go straight into finals mode, which is going to be a pretty intense month. Yeah, and you're in finals mode now you're looking at it, man, Yeah? Hell yeah, Finals mode? Man, It's crazy all right.
Speaker 2: And if you want to see Christine Finals Mode on the TV, you can tune in again to that show. ACC does Game of Two Halves eight thirty pm Thursday night, Sky Open, Sky Sport one. And we'll be back next week for another episode of the Mad Monday podcast.
Speaker 3: Eh cheers man, Okay,