Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resident Builder podcast with Peter Wolfcamp.
Speaker 2: From news talks at B Squeaky Door or Squeaky flour.
Speaker 1: Get the right advice from Peter Wolfcamp The Resident Builder with lightfoursolar dot co dot insiad find out more about switching to solar news talks at B.
Speaker 3: A house sizzor even when it's dark, even when the grass is overgrown in the yard, even when it does is too old to bar, and when you're sitting at the table trying to start caesor home even when an.
Speaker 4: Even when you're there, you.
Speaker 3: House is the hole, even when those ghost even when you got.
Speaker 5: Around from the ones you love your most.
Speaker 3: Screamed on, broken paints, peeling in front of the word.
Speaker 4: Locals visible when they're gone, leaving the.
Speaker 3: House, even when lba ben, even when you're now lone.
Speaker 2: And a very very good morning to you. Welcome along to the Resident Builder on Sunday. That's with me, Pet wolf Camp, the Resident Builder. And this is your opportunity the last time for twenty twenty four. Hey, this is it. This is the the end of the line for twenty twenty four. I'm back next to you. Don't worry or my condolences either way. So this is your chance now that we've had Christmas, and I trust that you had a hopefully a happy, maybe a reflective or a family focused sort of Christmas Day. And I know we had quite a bit of discussion around stocking stuff is basically what would come out of the or could go into the tool shed or into the toolbox. On my part that seemed to go quite well. I did end up working a little bit on Christmas Day here at New Suk seed B did eleven til one, and I was about to say, if you got something noisy in the tool department on Christmas Day, perhaps refrained from testing it out until at least Boxing Day. So I'm sure that the temptation was there if you've got something bright and shiny and possibly noisy for Christmas Day, that you wanted to have a crack at it. So maybe you're into projects. I mean it's pretty out there. I had still a little bit of driving around the city yesterday. It would seem that either people have disappeared on holiday, which is great, or you're all at home doing projects. So if you've got a project on that you would like some help with a little bit of advice around. Please call now, Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is that number you can text through as well. That's nine to nine two from your mobile phone and if you'd like to send me an email then'd be lovely. It's Pete at newstalksb dot co dot nz. So around this time of year, I think, well where was I? I went to a tool shop during the week and a couple of trips to local hardware store, and it seems like there's still a little bit of activity out there. Even noticed actually driving around yesterday a bunch of trades people still working on a fairly large commercial site. So there's there's still activity that goes on. But if you've got a project and you'd like some help, by all means give us a call. If you've got something that you've got for Christmas and you're wondering how that goodness do I use it, then we can talk about tools and tool use and particularly tool safety. I have to say yesterday I spend a little bit of time in the workshop. I may well have been puttering as per our discussion last week around getting my sort of dust control and dust extraction set up. It seems if I look back. Over the year, it's kind of been not quite my obsession because that tends to make it something that we do without having a decent purpose. But it has become an increasing focus of mine is to go what am I doing to ensure that the environment that I'm working in is not quite dust free because that's the nature of construction, but at least that I'm putting in place mitigation, some way of removing that. So if I'm sanding, if I'm using a power tool, then typically I've got a bunch of different little adapters that hock up to the vacuum cleaner. So take the bad off the tool that I'm using, connect an extraction hose to that, and have that hopped up to the vacuum. I got a little track saw this year, and happily enough, a portable dust extractor, a little wet and dry eighteen vault Rhiobi dust extractor that I can carry around with me. It's actually incredibly useful and just gives you that opportunity to clean up as you go without having to drag out a vacuum a conventional one. Got a couple of those tucked away inside the workshop, have them hopped up to the drop saw, got them connected to there's a larger dust extractor that I connect up to the table saw when I use that. And then the other day I was looking for a particular type of clamp that allows you to have the hose fixed somewhere if you're using extraction sometimes having the hose sort of flapping around is a little bit difficult. And I did find them on an overseas website, and then I balked at the cost of the import the freight from the States, that being about one hundred and twenty dollars, and I think I've pretty much ended up making one myself. Anyway, I've got to go and do one more little trip to the hardware store on my way home today and that'll be that project underway. So if you've got a project on or if you're considering maybe a project in the new year, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call, just in terms of where we're at at the end of the year, and i'd be interested in your opinions on that. There's a couple of it's been a remarkably complex and varied. It certainly varied in terms of business out there at the moment, it's pretty tough for a lot of people, and for those that have got through. I think this is when reputation and relationships will hold your business together. So it's pretty tough. I saw some figures the other day about eleven thousand jobs lost in the construction sector, typically construction employees. I think it's around two hundred and thirty thousand people in New Zealand. And for eleven thousand jobs to disappear out of that sector, that's had a dramatic impact on obviously on people's lives, but in terms of you know, as we grow, we need those people. Of course, as we go into recession, those people disappear and then do they come back, So maybe you've been impacted by that. So that is part of where we're at. The other is that as the new government sort of hits its stride, suddenly there's a whole lot of talk about do we want to do remote inspections, do we want to wind back h one of the building Code? Do we want to look at a broader scope of building work that can be done without necessarily having a building consent. We want to be able to build sixty square meters. So it's been a fascinating political year. When it comes to construction as well, radio we can talk all things building and construction. Will do that right through till eight thirty. I don't have any guests with me today, so it's your opportunity. Need to talk all things building in construction right through eight thirty. Eight thirty. We will jump into the garden with the delightful hundred climb past at eight thirty, and then we will talk all things about the wonderful world of bugs and gardening as well. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call if you'd like to join me now is a good opportunity. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is that number to call.
Speaker 1: Whether you're painting the ceiling, fixing the fans, I'm wondering how to fix that hole.
Speaker 4: In the wall.
Speaker 2: You give Peter Wulf Cabin call on.
Speaker 1: Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty, the resident builder with light four solar where your solar purchase berns you airpoids, dollars.
Speaker 5: News talks, evy.
Speaker 2: You welcome to text as well. Nine two ninety two. This one came in and I'll deal with it at the moment. Morning, Pete, I work in real estate. My question is around ducks Quest plumbing, So that's Dux ducks Quest plumbing. When this is located in a property, we advise potential buyers to have this replaced, even if it is currently functioning correctly and problem Would you agree with this? Do you have any other info I could pass on? Gosh, it's kind of a multi layered question in a sense, and I appreciate that the texts coming through. Look, I think, for a start, it's right to be cautious about it, like anyone that I know who's had it and their property has a high likelihood of failure. And when I talk about failure, it's a joint popping apart or bursting, often the middle of the night when the pressure is higher, or sometimes when you're away, and those sorts of things. So yes, it is problematic, without a doubt. I'm curious about how a real estate agent would know that it was in the wall, because it's not something you can see. So I guess it's one of those things. If a current seller a vendor has told you that that's the type of plumbing, it's an unusual question to ask. It's a little bit unusual. And then is it the role of the real estate agent to be advising a prospective purchaser about repairs and maintenance that they might have to do. I suppose it's all part of disclosure. Wouldn't mind talking to an agent on that actually. But look, in general, I agree with you. I think that if it has been identified then and typically if you do repair, then somewhere else will burst later on. And I know plenty of people that have just taken the plunge, let's say, and they've stripped it out or they've simply bypassed it, deleted the lines, left them in the walls, just run new lines to all of the various outlets and so there's nothing running through the old duck square. So I agree you've got a concern.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: There was a funny story the other day. Someone I know was selling a house and they had a pre purchase or a prospective purchaser had a pre purchased inspection done identified that the cast iron pipe that connected to the toilet was rusty, and then in their pre purchase inspection said, we estimate that the cost of the repair is somewhere between one thousand and fifty thousand dollars, at which point the prospective purchaser then said to them, will look knowing this, We'll make you an offer, but will deduct forty thousand dollars for the potential cost of the repair. I just thought that was an absurd estimate to give and incredibly vague. From one thousand to fifty thousand dollars to repair. I mean, that's outrageous. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call, and Hazel A very good morning, Welcome to the show. Good morning, Hazel.
Speaker 6: I had a I lived in in the Bide Home, which was a two stories home, and several years ago the hype cam off my upere of cold water hips and flood of the whole house. I was out of the house for six days whilst the subcontractors were They bought in airs and dry et cetera, et cetera, and they told me it was faith for me to come back. I'm superate rejecting the n magic. And then this recent tree. I was doing my potatoes at night and being aged, I needed to go to the toilet with the water brain. I turned my test off of this thing, and as I went through pizza toilets. I saw about eight inch shet of water coming onto the carpet underneath the hot water, and so I forgot about going into the toilet. Rang the farbargate and they were absolutely amazing. But when they.
Speaker 7: Bought up the.
Speaker 6: Carpet, mold, mold and more mold. So I had to accept to tail pope due to my oath. Now, the first we wouldn't have had molds with the second run because it wouldn't have had time to happen. The mold would have happened from the first. And I'm wondering that's my insurance. They offered me two thousand on a ten thousand repay job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think sometimes with insurance, I mean it's very tempting at the moment, and particularly with weather related claims. Insurers sometimes will offer people, you know, a cash out, right, so you know, we estimate the cost of the repair is pick a figure, fifteen thousand dollars. Here's fifteen thousand dollars. You manage the job yourself. And interesting we had some friends who took a cash settlement for a much more considerable sum for extensive damage to a house and managed it, but then had a slightly more complex claim a little bit later on, and made sure that the insurer managed it because they could see that it was going to be really complicated. So I think you've got to be a bit careful about that. So do you currently, though, have mold still in your house?
Speaker 6: Apparently there is a mold still every tower, Pope, right, I've been here for over two weeks. The thing is do I leave legal advice or the thing is the first one I insisted on copper plumbing putting when the first one happens and read both toilets upstairs downstairs, trust the hand based in the upstairs. And the second one I insisted on topper plumbing, but they didn't mention it. But I had actually got copper plarly with the second one, and I'm through to a bits with the second.
Speaker 2: I wonder whether Hazel part of it might be that you get some independent advice from an experienced plumber who could come through and just assess either the repair and also just you know, talk to your insurer and say, you know, the two claims might not be related. So sometimes insurers are reluctant to, let's say, do a pay out if it's damage that's related to the first claim or a similar claim. Sometimes they'll say, well, look you've had and this loops back actually the ducks quest thing where in some cases I've heard where a claim has been made for water damage as a result of the pipe bursting, and then they might pay for that once or twice, but thereafter they'll say, well, look, if you don't go ahead and replace it now at your cost, we're not going to cover any further claims on that sort of thing. So that might be something, But I wonder whether it could be useful for you to get a plumber just to look at it both of the claims, look at the quality that repair, and if your insurer hasn't done a good job on the repair, then I would go back to the insurer, particularly if they're still mold, if they haven't dried it out properly, or if they haven't repaired an extensive enough area to get rid of that mold, I would suggest that they need to come back and figure that out. Thank you very much, Hazel, and a very good morning to you, Paul.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 8: Painful ringing about aluminium friction stay in particular interlock. I've got a we've got a fifty year old house and one of the stays has just broken. Doesn't look like you can get exactly the same, So it looks like the closest is now the black P fifteen sixty one B to what I had, And I noticed the drillhole aren't the same as the old one, so I got to redrill on both the sash and the window frame to food and I take it you've got to replace both hinges. They're slightly out.
Speaker 2: AKA, you're on the right track. And it's always a little bit scary, you know, drilling into your aluminium into the frame. They should supply you with a short, fine threaded screw and in some cases they have like a drill bit hit on them, so they are south drilling. Yeah, I have to say, I've never found that they're particular. Okay, they're the ones that you need, though, and I tend to find that I don't rely on the actual little screw to do the drilling. I tend to pre drill because I think that's slightly more accurate.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 8: I'm just using the screws from the old hundreds and they seem to be working. But other than that, just a matter of doing it.
Speaker 2: It is, and the critical thing is to make sure that your hinges are both aligned in exactly the same position on both sides, Otherwise it'll tend to twist a little bit. So whatever measurement you use on one side, use exactly the same measurement on the other side, right, well do Yeah, but look, if you got fifty years out of the original friction stays, that's not too bad.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I say, the new one only comes with a tenure worthy.
Speaker 2: That's not to say that it won't work for more than ten years, but that's all that's required in terms of consumer guarantees and that sort of thing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, right, And I take it you can't get just part of the stay and re rivet that one in, you know, because if only one part of the hinge yes in this case, the short part, you know, if you could, I would.
Speaker 2: Be knowing how they assemble those, I'd be I would think that the success rate of being able to re rivet it on site would be very, very small, and chances are you'll end up with that becoming loose or something like that. So I think replacing the hinges is a good idea. And have you been able to find replacement parts? Okay? Because it's sort of well alailable at a hardware store.
Speaker 8: Yeah, luckily the new version is pretty close to the old one, right, Okay, so'll I put one on and I'll put the second on today and hopefully that'll work. Okay, I'll find out, I guess soon enough.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. And look, it's one of those things. And it's a little bit like I started. I went to use my I'm saying this because there's a story behind it, right, and it's a similar story to what you're doing is take your time with these sorts of repairs. So like the other day, I went to use my I've got an older petrol blower to pull start it, and notice that the cord was fraying to the point where it would barely come out of the you know, you pull it and it's the gems about halfway, and I thought, right, I'm not going to push it. I don't want to break the cord. And then I've da da da da, went and got some new cord the other day, and yesterday afternoon took it apart, and then I kind of went, actually, I've got like half an hour to do this, but I feel it might be a little bit longer of a job. So I'm going to give myself time, and I suggest you take the same approach in terms of doing the hinges. Give yourself time, don't rush it out, rush and you'll be fine.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think I'll beat the Peter, spend the whole day on it, exactly.
Speaker 2: Start nice and early radio on the background, You're away, good luck, take care, see you. Then bobe all of this to you and I have to say, and it take me years to learn it, to be fair. One of the greatest frustrations, and I'm sure it's caused any number of sort of failures of operation, has been that we don't give ourselves enough time to do jobs. You know that we look at a job and we go, oh, it's half an hour or it's an hour, but you kind of know in the back of your head that that in fact, it's probably twice that, and so we launch into it and then we're under We put ourselves under pressure, and then the wheels fall off. Basically, so if you're going to do a task, particularly if it's one that you're unfamiliar with, take the time in the same way that when I pulled the cover off yesterday and I'm looking at how the pull start works. I've got my new bit of chord and I'm going actually this because it's not something I repair every day, right, but I'm pretty determined to have a crack at it, and it should be relatively simple. And I did actually go online to seek some guidance, and now I've got two different approaches to fixing it. So anyway, I might actually play with that later on this afternoon and see if I can get That's another job out of the way. See that's success on a Sunday, little job like that done. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. If you've got a job that you would like to get done, or you'd like to talk about or talk about various options, by all means, give us a call. Couple of texts have come in with regard to the Ducks quest and how it relates to sale and purchase agreements and real estate agents obligations and so on. Will come back and look at that in the moment, but we'll take your calls as well. On eight hundred and eighty ten eighty by all means, text nine two nine two, and if you'd like to email, it's Pete at Newstalks b It is six th eighty two. Just an aside as well for again into the texts about the plumbing and the real estate agents and so on, just off the cuff I happened to over the last two sundays on the show. We were talking about stocking stuffers, and I mentioned the fact that I'd wanted into my local, which happens to be dem Put Timber, to pick up a few bits and pieces. I needed some bolt fix and whatever I needed for that particular job, and saw that they had on the counter Good Rules, which is a New Zealand designed folding ruler. It's a little bit unusual and I've got a couple of them at home and I find them quite useful and they'd make a good sort of stocking stuff a type of gift. It seems like there was quite a bit of interest, and they're not actually that easy to in terms of retail stores. They're widely available online, but they're not in a lot of retail stores. But Jamie and his family that run Devenport Timber, they happened to stock them and they've supported the team at the Good Rule for quite some time. And Jamie texts me on the weekend and goes mate we've I think I've spent most of my time over the last week answering phone calls from people looking for these particular rulers and people coming into the store to get them. So if you did pop over, didn't put timber good on you. I hope you enjoyed the drive and the journey down Lake Road. And thanks for supporting the good rule in that way as well. So I wasn't my intention. I just happened to mention it. And yeah, I've used them the good stuff and it's great fun. Oh eight one hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call if you would like to join us and if you want to chip in your thoughts around this. In terms of property and real estate, I guess so the original text was good morning Peak, I work in real estate. The question is around Duck's quest plumbing. When this is located, we and a property, we advise potential buyers to have this replaced, even if it is currently functioning correctly and problem free. Would you agree with this? Would you have any other info I could pass on? So there's a whole lot in that statement. One is I guess if you know it and you know that it's a problem. Yes, you have a duty to inform as a real estate agent, as my understanding, but do you necessarily have to recommend repair or do you just go hey? By the way, the vendor or a pre purchase inspection has identified that it is Duck's Quest, which was kind of a late eighties sort of plumbing product that has had extensive failures without a doubt. So a couple of other texts have come in. It's called fujuciary obligation. If you're a land agent and aware of a property or dwelling information, you must advise the interested party. So if you're aware of a particular fault, then you need to advise that. And there was a case actually the other day that went through to the real estate tribunal where someone was aware and deliberately withheld information of damage. And other text has come through. Dux Quest Plumbing is now a general disclosure on our purchaser acknowledgment form, much like monolithic clad properties. Also, a question about the forty K deduction requested, are you sure it wasn't a type? And the value associated with the works went five to one thousand to five thousand dollars, No, I spoke with the person who this is firsthand, this isn't a secondhand story. The pre purchase inspector, and you would have to question their ability to be blunt, made an estimate of between one thousand and fifty thousand dollars, and based on that pre purchase inspection and the figure set down, the potential purchase offered the vendor who I know, the asking price minus forty thousand dollars. So, and then eithery wanted to do a whole CCTV survey of the of the line as well, which is kind of unusual. I don't think I've ever heard of that where someone a potential purchaser wants to get a CCTV survey of the wastewater line like the pipes under the ground across the section to the boundary. It was decidedly odd anyway. In the end, as it happens in this particular situation, someone else was interested in the property and purchased it at the asking price, basically without all of that. Plava. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty. If you'd like to add to that, I'd love to hear from you. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call, and then our first caller, Hazer, was talking about some water damage as a result of I think it might have been a burst pipe, and then the second one might have been a hot order cylinder. And of course someone has pointed out with insurance policies, some insurance policies, because they do very gradual damage, may have a policy limit of just two thousand dollars. In some cases gradual damage has basically no cover whatsoever. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call if you've got a building project that's underway that you'd like some help with, or you're looking to the future and thinking, actually, is now this is the discussion a number of people are having. Is now the time if you've held off doing a project, either a new build or renovation or significant alterations to the property, and you've held off, prices were very high, Materials were hard to get, material prices seem to be going up. No one was prepared to offer any fixed price contracts, etc.
Speaker 10: Etc.
Speaker 2: Trades people were really really busy a couple of years ago. Now all of that that landscape has shifted a little bit. Trades people often are not as busy as they have been. Prices while they haven't really gone down, the rate of increase is not going up. It's certainly more competitive, and either contractors or suppliers are more competitive with their pricing. At the moment, intrast rates have stopped their increase and are starting to decline, So there's a little bit of surety. Is now the time to press go before things inevitably take off? So I'm interested in your opinion on that as well. The lines are open. The number to call call us now. We've got plenty of spare lines right now, so now's a perfect time. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is that number to call? Quack text before the break? Good morning Peak. Do you have any tips for removing stains from firewood and sawdust from concrete? So I presume that it's either a gum or a resin or something like that, or maybe you've had some hardwood. Typically, if you've got staining, it's out of Yeah, Kuiler is the classic one where you leave that out and it drops onto there. Almost impossible to get the quila stains out in my experience. But if it's others, then would you use Basically hydrochloric acid, which has spirit assaults. Is probably quite a good idea for cleaning concrete down, So try that. Agitate and then rinse off might help you out there. But yeah, stains on the concrete can be difficult to get out. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. It is coming up seventeen minutes away from seven. Join us now lines are free, eight hundred eighty ten eighty. Just thinking back over the year twenty twenty four which has been you know, it's memorable in the sense for people involved in construction, just probably because of how challenging it has been. I mentioned at the beginning of the show. I saw some figures the other day about eleven thousand jobs in the construction sector have been lost or the numbers employed are down by about eleven thousand. That's a not insignificant amount out of an industry that employs. I think it's around two hundred and thirty thousand people roughly are involved in the construction sector. So it's a tough time. It's a tough time for apprentices, particularly in terms of construction. They're often the first ones who are let go, and then whether or not they try and stay in construction or do they come back. Typically they don't. I can recall back in what was two thousand and seven, you know, when there was a fairly significant downturn as well, almost a third of construction apprentices were let go. And then of course we go back into an upswing in the sector, and we're desperate for labor, and we're desperate for skilled people, and those people have gone. And then a little about a year ago, we had a great conversation with John Tukey from aut who's a fantastic commentator on all things can struction, but also sort of a big picture view of the industry, and I was saying to him, is there a way in which we can sort of even out these highs and lows in the sector that we tend to either be chasing our tail looking for labor, looking for materials when we're in a boom, or we're at the bottom of the trough and it's desperate and we lose a whole bunch of people and a whole lot of skills. And his simple answer is no, it's just that, I suppose it's the nature of capitalism, it's the nature of the economy, it's the nature of sort of these cyclical movements, and the industry kind of needs it, and so there's not really a way of getting of easing that out, which was I was kind of hoping that he'd have some sort of perfect answer to get that sorted, but no. A couple of texts on exactly that, you know, looking back over the year, because ultimately, if you're typically if you're involved in construction, you end up becoming a business owner, right. Plenty of small traders, lots of soul traders, lots of limited liability companies, plenty of liquidations and receiverships, and of course there's been if you look back over the year a couple of really high profile companies as well that have had receivers appointed to try and sort out. And I mean it would be would I be overstating it and saying that almost every week, certainly every two weeks, there'd be a story in the paper about a developer going under or people that have paid deposits. I saw that story a couple of weeks ago, people who had paid deposits to a developer for home basically land and house packages, only to discover that the developer to whom they'd paid the deposits didn't even own the land. The actual buildings were a long way off, and the money didn't go into a trust account, so their deposits are gone. It's not uncommon either. Right now it has been fairly challenging. Maybe you'd like to add your comments to that. Virtually all businesses are downpeak, most between ten and thirty percent, some far worse. The whole economy has been up and down the last forty years, but slowly going down. We're not finished, and we need to make massive changes to our whole economic and social structure. And I'm hopeful that it and I'm not hopeful of them being implemented. That's from Bob, so that's a broader summary. A quick one. On the staining of the concrete. Someone has suggested using baking soda and water. Good idea. Someone else suggesting you should never use acid. I mean we use acid often to if you're doing literally, and acid wash if you want that exposed aggregate, so it works to clean away the cement. But baking soda and water is a good option. Someone here we go. I want to stain the deck. It was previously stained Kofi, which is like a warm yellow color, and I want to change it to gray after water blasting. Is there any other prep before I use the new color. What I would suggest that I'm always really reluctant around water blasting decks. You've got to know, we've got to do it gently. Basically, it should be regarded as a powerwash, not a water blast. So you want to use a proprietary product like a deck wash to attack all of the mold and mildew that's settled on the deck. That will also help open up the fibers. But then when you're water blasting or power washing, don't go too close to the timber. You will literally rip up the fibers and damage the decking itself. So if you've cleaned it thoroughly, agitated its apply a cleaner, agitate with a stiff broom. Rinse that off by all means with a water blaster, but don't go too close. Then, if you've got an existing color and you want to change it to a different one, I would just check in terms of compatibility that you don't end up with kind of splotchiness where you've got slightly more of the original stain remains on the timber and then you've applied a new stain over the top, but in other parts where you've got less of that original stain on the timber, it will it could give your different appearance. So once you've done your prep, maybe have a look at just doing a test in one small area just to make sure you don't get an incompatibility between the two. If that's okay, then go right ahead. So allow the timber to dry a reasonable amount, doesn't have to be bone dry, and then go ahead and do the new coat over the top and from yellow to gray. I could kind of see why you want to do it. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. We got lines are plenty for you. We always get busy later in the show, so now it's a good time to call if you've got a project. All some thoughts on twenty twenty four in terms of the construction sector, give us a call. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty. Actually, what I was thinking about, sort of looking back over the year. One of the unexpected things something that if you talk to me at the beginning of twenty twenty four, would I have been involved with, or discussed or been in a sense so consumed by I've got to say, has been the l boxes. That's been my real surprise for twenty twenty four. So I think quite early in the year I talked to rud about sort of the I suppose, the re emergence of owls around the country. I didn't realized that there were as many varieties or species of owl, and that they lived in such an extensive part of the country. And Sot being Root sent me a couple of plans for owl boxes, which during the middle of winter, when I happened to have sort of half a day spare, I went out into the workshop, used up all my off cut bits of plywood and all the rest of it, and made one based on one plan, then another based on another plan. It seems that there are different plans for these things. Then I realized that the two plans I had were really for small owls, and that the one that I had intended to build was for a barn owl, which is a slightly larger owl. So I've still got one more owl box to go. I've sent one to Waihiki Island, I've sent another one has gone off down country, and over the course of the year, I've probably sent out fifteen or twenty emails from people requesting copies of those particular plans. So yeah, I didn't expect to be building ol boxes during the year. But if one of those ends up becoming a home to an owl in their new location, I would be as happy as Larry, I've got to say. And then in my research I also discover that the good people at Wingspan have their own particular owl box design, and I'm off the under Wingspan. In a couple of weeks time, I feel that I might make my own olbox and take it down. They can give it away to someone, But you go, I've just given myself another job. If you've got a job and you need some help with it, give us a call. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. We'd be back straight off. Well, a very good morning, and welcome back to the show. It is. Let's have a look. Six minutes almost seven minutes after seven on a Sunday, the twenty ninth of December, the last Sunday show for me for twenty twenty four. But we'll be back, of course bright nearly. Will it be the morning of the fourth or something like that, fifth of January twenty twenty five. And I'm interesting in the news bulletin. They're talking about, you know, the year ahead economically, in terms of business and so on. It's still you know, I think at the beginning of twenty twenty four, the phrase that emerged was survived to twenty five, but increasingly people are now talking about not just surviving until twenty five, but you've got to kind of get through twenty twenty five as well. And you know, ultimately, I guess building the sort of building that we're talking about, the renovations, the alterations, the repair work and so on, it is. It's a business, right, so we're talking about business as well, and how businesses are going to survive whether there is every time you hear of green shoots, it seems like someone's following along with a bit of weed killer as well, So it's still going to be pretty grim out there. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty for your calls about all things building and construction related. I'd kind of forgotten about this. I got a call from a mate cautionary tale. Let's say, when was it. I was out doing lawns and gardening and bits and pieces, and we're up and out of town and the he rings and goes oh, have you got some ply and I'm like, why, ah had two panels of a four panel bifold window blowout. You know, we've had incredible winds, just persistent heavy or strong winds across the Auckland area, across most of the country, I know, but in this particular instance, it literally sucked out two of the four bifolds. Two point three two point two meter high doors, about seven hundred wide, single light, probably thirty forty years old, facing essentially south, so exposed to that so westerly that was coming through sucked the doors out. No one was in the property at the time, broke the glass that shattered all over the ground, broke one of the sashes completely and left a gaping hole in the property. So thankfully, I actually keep a few sheets of plywood at home underneath the house. Grab those went around, screwed them over the opening, and a little bit of a tidy up. That was I suppose a cautionary tale in terms of, you know, just being aware that we do get these strong winds and you need to have your house prepared for that as well. So if you've got you know, fasteners that maybe have started to come loose, so they don't really hold. That's the inevitable consequence. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is that number? To call STU A very good morning to you. How are you this morning? Hang on the mouse? There you go, gotcha, Happy.
Speaker 11: Christmas, peace, thank you and hopefully.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I've got a little job on in central Colo where I'm doing the angled shutters over the top of the bungalow windows where they put weatherboards across, and I'm replacing them with shingles. Yeah, twenty five mil structural ply. But I've got a timber called Seligna. It's just like the seedar ones three fifty by ninety. They're all the same size and all cut the same wed shape. Now it's six hundred wide by two two meters long, and I'm wanting to get six rows of these shingles across on each shutter so that I get If I put them normally, i'd probably only get about three rows. So I'm going to have to cut the wider portion of the Soligna single to lessen them down from the three to ninety, probably take one hundred mil off or something like that. Is that normally how you do it? Or am I doing it?
Speaker 2: The wrong way when you describe them as fixing the seed the shingles the saligna shingles to the shutter. Is the shutter movable? Is that opening closes.
Speaker 11: It's angled. It's psycho embraces at about forty five degrees above the window with side support. So the singles. So the fly goes on top of that, and I'll put a membrane just roofing, underlay something state good on and then attached the shingles to the angled It's like a dorm of protection. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I would call them an eyebrow, right, or sort of like an eyebrow. And I say that because it's exactly the sort of detail as it happens we've got at home. So by villa over the front windows. So got three windows in the bay to forty five and one in the middle, and that one has like a little decorative awning, right, so it's got a nice bracket and then it's got some tongue and groove, and then over the top of that we're in this case cedar shingles. But someone had taken the time to rip them down to exactly they probably would have done by hand, exactly the same width and then put an arrowhead on them, so a point right. So when I replaced them, I took off the old kardi ones that have been up there, I presumed since the house was built, and got some new cedar, cut them to match, and then relaid it in the same pattern. So in terms of the cligna, you want to have a certain number of rows, but your actual shingle is longer.
Speaker 11: It's so the width that I'm going on is six hundred yes, and the shingles three three fifty ninety yes. So I'm either going to end up very very thick going up because I'm probably going to have a visible area of about one hundred on each shingle.
Speaker 3: So to be.
Speaker 11: Is that three fifty third two fifty covered by the next shingle if you know what I mean.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Typically with shingles, you try and it's a third each time. So if your cedar shingle is it covered, yeah, so you end up with effectively three laps. Is how I've always done the shingles, and I quite like doing them to be fair, so I'm always the first one puts their hand up to do seedar shingles. So it's typically a third you want to have a so if it's normally they're about three fifty long, so it's just over one hundred mil one hundred and fifteen mil rough one hundred and ten hundred and fifteen mil. And that's your cover. And then as you get to the top, you end up cutting the shingle down off the tapered edge, so the thick edge stays there.
Speaker 11: Yeah, okay, so I guess I'm being rather than giving a single shortage just to overlap it more. I mean, I've got.
Speaker 2: Can do that as well, but inevitably you'll have to cut some and then do you have a flashing at the top or.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeas an angle flesh and it comes down, yes, over it. So I just tuck up under that and then tacked the fleshing down.
Speaker 2: And because you've got the cover, like you mentioned, using like a buttanyl underlay or something like that. Typically just building papers, fine.
Speaker 11: That's what it's using.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, laid paper, that's.
Speaker 12: Fine, black black tar paper.
Speaker 2: Staple down and then how are you going to fix it? I have to say, I've never seen seligna shingles, so that'll be interesting.
Speaker 11: Well, I actually went out to chat at Rosenfield and Kitsen. Oh yeah, I think because I didn't. I picked them up from a mill out of from Vara, out of the associated with the Lanes mill up there, and this old guy was getting rid of them and I want three square meters. They end up with thirty out but an old guy at Roosevelt and Kitsen comes out and he identified I didn't know what they were, and he said, where did you get these? You can't get them anymore, And well they're about age ninety years old, but as old as the previous owner. And I wish I could still get them because I mean cedar has gone up through the roof, yeah and this stuff. He said, they're very very stable. The only trouble is they're all the same width, so I'm going to have to cut some. I can get plaps and all that.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, that's right. And again you know, on my experience where I was doing that particular job, I obviously see the shingles when you buy them, you buy them in a bundle and they're random width, right, So I just had to fossis through the pile. But then I ended up sending them through the table saw because I knew I had the original ones as a template and so I could just rip them all down and then do that little point on them and so on. To be fair, it's almost my favorite job as doing shingles. I just especially the decorative stuff, you know, like curved on a bay window and on a bungalow where it's curved and then flares out at the bottom. Or I did one on a gable end that actually had a round window in the middle of it. So you came down and then had a local plumber come and just hand beat a lead flashing so that it went around the window. And he made it in two parts, so he had the bottom one and then the top one coming over it, and then scribing all of the shingles around it. It's just it's lovely work.
Speaker 9: I think they'd am.
Speaker 11: I think I'd rather keep it the square. But in these ones, I can just put them through the tables. Yeah, yeah, absolutely win half just to just to get the lapse.
Speaker 2: But it's the other I'm intrigued as well. Stew the Sligna shingles that you've got, are they original and quite old?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 11: They're about wow, eighty years old. There's the guy out there. They've been through. There's big milling operation. And yeah, and he had just stored all the stuff, just just molded and stored it, molded and stored it. There's about ten bundles because of course he has gone horrendously.
Speaker 9: Ye.
Speaker 11: The only thing is you've got to draw them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's going to say.
Speaker 11: Feed is quite soft. But I've got those stainless offset nails you can get with a very head and the stiruations down machinek. Yeah nice, quite nice to play and so kick the thing up. But yeah, the previously they had old weatherboard sort of just across and nailed on, which looked a bit scruffy from the streets. Yeah, it did look quite nice.
Speaker 2: But it'll be a lovely job right there. Enjoy be safe up there.
Speaker 11: If I get too hard, I enjoyed.
Speaker 2: I'd be a bit nice to talk to all of this. Take your head in the year all this eight hundred and eighty ten eighty third number to call Hamish a very good morning, Yeah, hid Hamish.
Speaker 13: Yes, I just got a notice from council about a septic tank maintenance record. Yes, yeah, so they are out there now checking and making sure all those rural septic tank systems are all maintained.
Speaker 12: Properly.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it's come as a bit of a shock to homeowners that have had, you know, septic tank down the back of the section for thirty forty fifty years or so, and suddenly this request is coming through from councils. I'm not sure if it's every single council across the country, but certainly a lot of them are now saying, actually, you know what, we need you to prove that it works, and the only way to do that is to get an approved inspector to come through. And when I had a look on the Auckland Council website, it brings up quite a long list of contractors that they I guess have pre qualified, right, so it stops people from just writing something out themselves and sending it in. But yeah, you have to have them inspected, and you have to prove and it has to be done by an improved contractor. And is there a fee? No this I presume that submitting the detail is free. But of course the inspection is going to cost you every year.
Speaker 13: Yes, of course it costs me twice a year. Yep, he went two hundred and fifty dollars each time.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so it's not not cheap, and my system's only three years old. Yes, so I unfortunately, just the last time I missed the guy and he didn't do it because a bit of a there was some grass and weeds around it or something, right, but anyhow he didn't do it.
Speaker 2: So sudden it hasn't affected homeownersh how I mean, how do you feel about it? Do you think it's it's fair and reasonable? Do you feel that it's unnecessary? What's your thoughts?
Speaker 13: Well, I don't know, but it's just just another extra added cost and that time we don't really really need, you know. So if I put a second house on my property, that's going to be one thousand dollars a year just to inspect each tank, you know, So that's another cost. And of course my rates have gone up over over one thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: So are you on town supply water?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, right, yeah, no, I was thinking about I was looking at water bills the other day. I was doing some budgeting at home, and I was looking water bills and I was trying to calculate, you know, the cost of the fixed waste water charge, right, and then trying to figure out what that costs on various properties over the a year, right, And then I was thinking, gosh, if you were you know, obviously that is a contribution to maintaining the waste water system if you're connected to the council line and if you've got town supply water. But I was just thinking about a situation where you might have town supply water and a septic tank. Are you still having to pay the wastewater charge even if you don't connect to the wastewater.
Speaker 13: Well, I mean that they're making reasons to charge it because they're doing all these on site maintenance records. Yes, it's that safe septic at open opencouncil, dot gov, dot MZ. So that's where I have to send all the data to yep, yep, and if I don't comply, they're going to send out an officer to inspect.
Speaker 2: Yes. Yeah, inevitably there'll be some sort of finding system in there as well, weren't there.
Speaker 13: Yes, Yes, there's findings and charges and anything else onto that.
Speaker 2: I mean to be fair, and I'm not impacted by this, Right, I live in the city and I connected to wastewater and that sort of thing. You can kind of understand. I guess the rationale for it is that we've got these systems which they go in. How do we know that people maintain them? And most systems need some sort of maintenance over time, and when they go wrong, the impact on the environment can be considerable, right, and the impact potentially on neighbors and that sort of thing. So is that what is driving council to introduce this legislation.
Speaker 13: Oh, I've got I'm in an ecologically sensitive vary so yeah, so that's probably the main driver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, interesting, Yes, it's something else that you've they're putting their hand into your pocket and you've got to find that new budget. You're right, of course, because.
Speaker 13: I mean it's going to be when they when they put the second house on site, it's going to be all the inspections are going to be over one thousand dollars a year, and then if anything goes wrong, there's a cost on top of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, good luck with the project. Nice of you to call it all the best. Take care. It's actually something I must have a bit of a look into in the new year as well, because it's obviously impacting a lot of people and has come as a bit of a surprise to most eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call if you'd like to join us. That'd be lovely to have your company and your conversations. Quick text before the break, Pete. We've got some stubborn growth starting on a two year old polycarbonate roof. I'm sure the pollen and the dirt settling on it is to blame. We've washed it with soapy warm water every season as per the instruction, being told under no circumstances to use benzil conium chloride or sodium hyperchloride. Any suggestions, I would have thought you'd need more than warm soapy water on that. I can understand why the manufacturer is careful about particular chemicals, but at the same time, oh, simple green might help out there just the thought instant in any text questions text responses to that too. Oh wait, one hundred eighty actually talking about roofs. Here's another quick text as well. Fill here from the North Shore six month old new black color steel long run roof, which looks great. However, we've had a huge pollen drop this year and a lot of the surface has pollen scum or residue on it that won't wash off. Any ideas how to remove it, such as water blasting or a chemical wash or a roof wash contractor. I think you'd probably want to get someone in who could do a treatment and then a wash, and you would have to do it, you know, like not something you could do from the ground. You'd have to have a contractor up there, in which case you need someone who's got all of their working at heights and the right safety gear to do that. But yeah, I guess black roof lots of pollen. That stuff sticks, That's what it's designed to do. You're going to have to get a contractor in chemical wash or a roof wash contractor. I would suggest you're on the right track there. Back after the break, if you'd like to join us, the lines are open. The number is eight hundred eighty ten eighty. Your new stooksb If you've got a little project on you'd like to talk about eight hundred eighty ten eighty on the show. Over the last couple of years we also focus but on legislation as well. The rules and regulations in this whole safe septic thing is kind of new again. It's not something I have first hand experience of. We're in a suburb, you know I'm connected to the waste water et cetera, et cetera, but if you are on a tank and I don't know if it's every single territorial authority. I don't think it's every single council, but certainly Auckland Council now is expecting you as the homeowner to undertake an inspection or have an inspection undertaken by a pre qualified contractor and then you need to admit that information I guess to a database at council that will keep track of it. How do you feel about that? Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty the number to call Rose A very good morning to you.
Speaker 10: Oh hi, Hi, Merry Christmas to you.
Speaker 14: Yes, I've actually met you at a seminar some time ago. It was a lovely, lovely moment. But fortunately, yeah, unfortunately, we've had a terrible episode happen and I thought you should.
Speaker 2: Listen to Yeah, sure what.
Speaker 14: We have to say for what the police have said, we had a burglary. We've been away, had a lovely time with assembly at North and I've still upset really and we come home and one hundred a bock trip city in the night and our home had been ransacked good and anyway, we've had the forensics out yesterday. We're really surprised they actually came out a day after we've reported it, so that was fantastic. Now my other half has lost a lot of tools they got under the tool shed. This is a second visit, so we've been to cash converters whatever. We wonder where all this stuff is going to. Somebody's buying it. But they did say if you could photograph it, get the serial numbers. You always said you're going to do this and you never get around to it. So he lost all his tools. Yeah, so that's the first part of the story, and the second part is it's the second time they've been and with the Book of Koe it was a really safe area at the time. We've been here five years. We're down a lane and it's unbelievable the guts of these people. There's four to five houses using this same lane, and we heard from some neighbors at the back who came home and this car was pulling down the lane as they were coming in. So we almost got these people. So they told them to move up to the other neighbors driveway so they could get and they were a young couple. So I don't know if I should have a description, because no, yeah, just.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, it must be you know, emotionally it's terrible, and then you know, dollar wise it's terrible as well. And I've had I've had some tools stolen, like out of a vehicle or from a work site. And I remember working when I first started and we our building site got broken into over the course of a weekend, and you know, they took a fair number of tools out of the site shed and so on. And I remember talking with Tom at the time and he said, you know, it's like a box of tools that I've had for years, and there's all sorts of different drill bits and you keep finding for months later, Oh I'm missing that. I'm missing that. And I have to say, I I can't express in language that I can use on the radio how enormously upset I get about. You know, the reason that people steal tools is because people buy them, right, so you know, they become currency. So you know, I'm equally annoyed at people that steal them and then people that buy them. So you know, if you're thinking, oh, great, I can get a Pazlo gun, for turner bucks from a mate around the corner. It's you know that it's been stolen, right, so don't bloody buy it. It's just enormously frustrating.
Speaker 14: I think cash Komurs worked very closely with the police. Yeah, but only the serial numbers. That could be very OK.
Speaker 2: Another little project, and hindsight's always twenty twenty, but something I've been involved in. I got introduced this couple of years ago and kind of a mate of mine actually he's in the police, asked me to come along and help out with us and what it is and community police are still doing. This is what you do is you engrave your driver's license on your power tools, right, And sometimes what police do is they'll actually be I've been at trade breakfasts and that sort of thing at different stands, and they'll be there with an engraving tool, and while you're grabbing a sausage and having a wand around, they'll just give them your driver's license and your tools, or they'll come out to the vehicle and they'll engrave your tools with the driver's license. Because for years and years and years, I might write p W on my tools, or I might paint my tools green or whatever. That makes no difference to the police, right, I mean, they don't know who PW is. They don't care that my favorite color might be green. Right, So we identify our tools that way, but it doesn't help with recovery. If, however, you engrave your driver's license on your tools, then even if you've ended up selling them, it gives them somewhere to go. And police will often in doing drug busts and that sort of thing, they'll find collections, large collections of stolen tools, and ideally they want to get them back. So I would say, if you've got your tools and you haven't done that, go out get a little engraver or get someone to do it. Engrave your driver's license on your tools.
Speaker 14: That's a really good idea. But for me, I've had personal items taken. It's heartbreaking, a beautiful item. It's horses like a chariot. It's about two feet long and about black and it's silvery and the chariot man is behind with the big ropes of the horses. Heartbroken about it because I've loved that piece. So that if anyone find something similar to that, just.
Speaker 2: In terms of the burglary, the sort of practical side of it, like, do you think that your property was particularly easy to access or did they have to break something in order to get in?
Speaker 14: What happened the first time? You'll be amazed at this. We've got great the gates. The previous owner never used to lock them, and I did my partner, we have to lock them. So we got a gay expert guy in and thought we were safe as lock all the windows, who locked the doors? Everything right? We come home the first is the first time. Three weeks ago we thought, oh, I said to John, well, I got notified by one of our neighbors. They're very, very good. And she says, oh. She says, one of your gates was open because they knew we were all away. And she said there was a like a blue maybe blue sort of gray. She thought it was a creative wish, and she didn't She didn't know what to sort of say to me because she felt guilty that she hadn't rung me earlier because it was I said, no, that car should not have been in our driveway. And the thing was, she said, oh, it's about six o'clock, so she thought you might have a visitor. Right. She knew my partner wasn't a home anyway. Another hour later, I get another call and it's our neighbors at the back her have been having a garage sell and coincidentally on seven sharp they had this item on garage shells. The very aware people are coming in just to hunt you placed out or whatever. We're just wondering if it's a link for that. But you know how they got in. They actually grilled what was it, grind ground the part of the operating gate, and there they were able to open the gate and put the car. And that's when I said before about.
Speaker 2: This, that's whole noisy sort of activity, isn't it. You know, grinders I was planning with.
Speaker 14: They came back, the one that sold the house. He said, no, it was caught to past five because we came back from the real estate, so they knew exactly the time. They knew the description of that car and the couple and they looked like he said, they were really weird. And I says, what do you mean by weird? He says, she was in the car and waving around as if they're on drugs. So we thought that would.
Speaker 4: Be the end of it.
Speaker 14: They would never come back again, right because we're in Elane. They got spotted. Who would want to come back? But oh no, we say that they've been back, and we know it was then because he described as a skinny blond rose.
Speaker 2: Look, I really hope that. I mean, I can say, look, I hope you get your items back, but we also kind of know that it's a bit of a rarity. It does happen. I wish you all the very best, so I'm sure you'd be looking at you know, inevitably cameras and those sorts of things to give you a bit of a warning. And again, you know, can I, like Ovi sely before, in language that I can't use on the radio, I can't express how frustrated and angry I get at the fact that tools are stolen and then people buy stolen tools. And I love this text, Pete. I'm willing to bet that none of the people who steal those tools are using them to earn a living. I wholeheartedly agree with you. But yeah, seriously, engraving and someone else's text through. I use a soldering iron to put my phone number on my tools. It's harder to erase than engraving. Good point. Look, whatever works for you, But the driver's license idea is great. I mean, you can use your telephone number, but I guess if you change your telephone number gets a little bit tricky. Anything like that, or just your well, it's all right if you put wolf Camp on because there's only one wolf Camp family, that's easy. But if you happen to put Smith on your power tools, that's not terribly helpful either. Oh, eight one hundred eighty ten eighty. We're talking building, we're also talking in it a little bit as well. I do feel sorry for you, Ruth Rose. I really hope that there are some resolution to that. Mark very good morning.
Speaker 9: It's good morning, and compliments this season you are, Yeah, just about their regulations around sewage. I'm in a rural propertyh Yeah, it's actually quite frustrating having received these notices considering my existing system. I check have a check yearly maintenance, but you do anyway. Yeah. But the thing that really has ground my key is is that we did an internal alteration to our house, and then the building consent said, oh, look you've made an extra room. Your systems a long and big enough for the possible capacity of your house. Yes, I could turn a lounge into a bedroom. And that's your argument. But anyhow, you're going to have to increase the capacity of your system, right, twenty thousand dollars to pull out an existing good system, you know, it was working, no problems it and put a bigger one in. Then to receive a notice that or you're going to go to six monthly checks and I'm going, well, that's ridiculous. It's a new system. Why six monthly when I've already you know, we've been operating on a yearly checking system and no one's complained and works. It's got an alarm system on it should should you have a phone?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 9: And so Yeah. But the gauling thing is that had the building content people knowing that this group of council we're going to bring in a six monthly check, I wouldn't needed to replace the existing system, wouldn't do you think? Logically?
Speaker 2: You'd think because if it was going to fail, you would know and it would.
Speaker 9: Cope for six months, surely, you know. And the other point being, if I'm not happy of the system you're putting in, why do they let you put them in? But they want you to make them check every six months? It's illogical.
Speaker 2: I don't know, if it's illogical, you would have thought though with newer systems, right, which we expect to perform well and they're designed to for a period of time. It be a little bit like War on a fitness you know, if you say, hey, look, I had a system that was installed in twenty twenty three, for example, you could reasonably expect, let's say, for the first ten years of its life, that it would perform as per the manufacturer's expectation, and that maybe a check once a year, and that after five years or ten years, then you need to swap six months. A little bit like War on Fitness, Right, if you've got a relatively new car, you need a warrant every year, and that would relieve some of the burden. Yeah, and of course you need to use a contractor that's pre qualified too.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 9: It's an interesting company. Who was my previous that came in when we bought the place. You know, we just got to leader say hey, we're coming to check your system. They did it every year, they charge one hundred and eighty bucks, and now now they want us to do it twice a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Well, to be honest, I don't see any either ten or logical or scientific evidence to suggest why I should have to do it every six months. To me, you know who's going to live on a property of it starts leaving, you know, it starts splitting over the top. You know it's I have a drip system and you know that pumps the waste water up the hill and drips it across your property per se. And as I said, well, we've been complying yearly. So just to me, it's just bureaucracy poking its nose and creating more expense to you, your landowners.
Speaker 2: But that's my right. No, no, no, look, I know what you're saying. I appreciate you calling through Mark yep, all this to you. Take care. I w eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. We'll take a short break. We'll talk to Karen in just a moment. Always keen to get started again. I eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call. Actually, he's a good text from Pete or Peter. Congratulations on the show. Thank you. That's very kind of you to say. Let's not forget people that buy stolen tools are also criminals. Is they're a process I can follow to check if it's a secondhand tool, is not stolen, I don't know, you tell me. I mean, look, I've bought secondhand tools. I have no objection to buying them from someone who's the actual owner, and I have bought not for a few years. I bought some gear, you know, through a basically a pawn broker, second hand dealer, And there's always that lingering doubt in the back of your mind where you go, you know, is this legit? Like is the story that they're telling me? Absolutely honest. I'm sure there's a process, but I'd love to know. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Karen A very good morning to you.
Speaker 12: Good morning.
Speaker 15: I really enjoy your show. It's really informative, really good. Just felt some powered and I normally wouldn't ring up, but I just felt some powered this morning. To let your listeners know something that has happened to me. I am a victim of identity food and it's gone on and on and on, and what have they used my driver's license number? So I would not encourage number on their tools because this has gone on for four years now. You know, people have booked after pay HP's telecommunications and when I said, well, how did you know it was me? You know, how did your I d they have my driver's license number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I can't argue with that. I understand what you're saying. I wonder if the police, I mean, you know, and and the reason I mentioned it is because I've actually been involved a couple of occasions where we've been at events, public events like you know, trade breakfast and that sort of thing, and the police have been there and it's been a police suggestion. Now possibly and I can give in contact with the guy that I used to work with on this around. You know, do they have a concern around having your driver's license there in terms of the identity theft? And perhaps there are better checks and balances now so for those.
Speaker 16: People to all to the police.
Speaker 15: And they've actually told me to go and get a new driver's license, right, because that's what that's what's been used to carry up these fraudulent transaction. Yeah, I just thought it right.
Speaker 2: Hey, Look, I really appreciate you phoning through. At first, I was trying to think what the context was, but I get what you're saying. That would be look, would be enormously distressing.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it's and it takes your treated it guilty until you can prove their inn and having a perfect credit rating going down to really dead for debts that.
Speaker 12: Have even been impaired by me.
Speaker 15: It's yeah, it's been horrific, to be honest. But when I heard about the driver's license on the tour, Yeah, anyone else.
Speaker 11: To go through?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate it. Karen, you look after yourself. Oh, thank you, take care all the best. My pleasure to bother them. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call. Let's actually we need to take another break. Then we'll talk to George. If you'd like to join us. The lines are open. The number is eight hundred eighty ten eighty. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call George. Good morning to you. How are you, George? Hang on sick? There we go, got your hot.
Speaker 17: I just want to have a chat about the sewage system. Yeah, so you're hot on it today?
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 17: We front onto a river and our sewage We built this house about forty years ago and got a big sum pole is full of the metal and that's how it works. And we get it cleaned out every two years, which we have done right from day one. But now they're saying that the surface water is getting under the lid and affecting a bacteria. Right, So my argument is, as he's saying that our system hasn't been working for forty years, is that what he's trying to say or what No.
Speaker 2: I think what this is is it's a relatively new requirement. I guess for people that like yourself, who have septic systems on site, right, you're not connected to public wastewall lines, so you've got your own tank or whatever system you happen to have. In the past, I guess, Council, it was kind of like, you know, install and forget right. It was completely up to the homeowner for your own benefit. You would look after it, right, But I guess there have been failures, and when there are failures, it has an impact either on the environment, so where you are because it's close to a river, or if you're in an area where perhaps you do have neighbors and you worry about contamination into another person's property or even contamination on your own property as a result of a faulty system. So then suddenly it's like, okay, well, we know that people should check them, but how do we know that they're checking them? This is the way to do it, So every six months now you have to check it. I guess for people that have done it and been responsible for all that time, it's an unwelcome burden. It's an extra expense because I think the inspections seem to be somewhere around the sort one hundred and seventy five to two hundred and fifty dollars, and that's every six months forever.
Speaker 17: Yeah. My other concern is, which is still about sewage, is the the councils fissuring more building to desiense for the area, but their infrastructure can't handle the sewage system yep. So they're actually about every week or so they pump it into the river and our rivers full of oyster farms. They've got it closed down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be slightly unusual, wouldn't it f council as a regular way of dealing. Actually, I was reading an article. I know we've got to go for news. Let's pick this up straight after the break. We got new Sport and weather. Top of the hour at eight o'clock.
Speaker 1: Whether you're painting the ceiling, fixing the fence, wondering how to fix that.
Speaker 2: Hole in the wall, give me a wolf cabin call on.
Speaker 1: The resident builder with light Force Solar where your solar purchase earns you airports dollars.
Speaker 2: News Talk said your news Talks, there'd be welcome along to the show. We're talking all things building in construction and I guess all things related to having your own property as well. And one of the topics that's kind of bubbled along during the course of the year has been this introduction of a requirement to have your septic system inspected and then a report submitted to council every six months, which puts reasonable burden on homeowners. George, you were talking about your system, which has worked, Okay, obviously there's a few issues. You made the comment about council. I mean this is a genuine concern, particularly in Auckland where in the last month or so Water Care have announced areas where they will essentially not be providing services in terms of wastewater for a number of years. And these some of these areas are where developers have already bought land intending to buy houses, so that's going to be a huge issue in terms of development. And then there's a couple of other areas. I was genuinely kind of shocked, really and disappointed to see this article probably two months ago where a bunch of houses and new subdivision out sort of northwest of Auckland. They hadn't been connected to the public wastewater line. All of their sewerage goes into a tank in the subdivision and then water care comes and sucks the tank out every couple of days, which to me just seems like such an ad hoc solution. Yeah, that's a shocker. And then with the heavy rain Gisbon, they ended up having to open the sewer or the settling ponds into the river because they were worried about it backing up and coming back into people's houses, which again I guess is a sensible precaution to ensuring that individual houses aren't impacted by sewage overflows. But at the same time, releasing raw sewage into the river is not great either. So you're right, we've got to huge infrastructure issues.
Speaker 17: This is what we're faced with here. But it's having an added costs to these oyster farmers. It's cost a minieh.
Speaker 2: That's right. If they can't trade because can't get back together.
Speaker 17: We got the council came down to air for sure and inspect of what was being washed up there, and they really said you must not go swimming in here. And I said, what about the dead fish? He said, well, you don't eat them, do you not. I said to her, you should have signs on all the boat ramps around to tell people this. But they don't want the public to know about it, and they and they sort of camouflage. You might say, I'll have.
Speaker 2: A look at that story, George. I do have a bit of sympathy for old Mayor Brown and Auckland, who has been pretty enthusiastic about the new pool. Essentially, it's it's just an area in Auckland's Viaduct harbor. That's they've created some lanes and you can go and do bombs or mone who's off the wharf there and go and swim in the fresh in the open water as such. And then the other day there was a notification to say, oh, look, the bacteria levels might be high, but it's on a modeling basis. He's saying, well, it's not actually a survey, it's a model that thinks that after the rain it'll have higher levels of equal matter in it not safe to swim. You can make your own judgment on that. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Here's an interesting text from Ian Syria System's Pete.
Speaker 9: You.
Speaker 2: Increasingly, I have found defend bureaucracy. Counsels impose endless costs on the public because five percent of the population event really rules me. I think riles you, probably, but you seem to regularly make excuses for this. It's unbelievable. Ian. I'd like to think that I'm reasonably even handed about that. I'm not a huge fan of bureaucracy, but I'm also aware that regulations require enforcement and they require record keeping, so bureaucracy is unfortunately essential in terms of running a civil society. That's why if I feel that I need to will defend it. Is it sensible to require homeowners to prove that their septic system works? I think it'd be hard to argue that it's not unreasonable. Is a six monthly inspection required, particularly on relatively new systems? Probably not your thoughts. Eight hundred eighty ten eighty the number to call. Jan A very good morning to you.
Speaker 10: Yes, Hello, I'm just wondering, Peter, if you can advise me about double glazing. My daughter's got a house that's twenty four years old, right, and it's just single glazed. Yep, it's brick with elemanum windows. Who do you think we could ask to come and here look at it too?
Speaker 2: Sure? Okay, let me declare an interest, right, So for Shivers it's got to be eight nine years now. I've acted as a brand ambassador for Metro Performance Glass, who have the retro DG brand of double glazing, right, yes, And so I've done that because I can see the usefulness in double glazing. I think that you know, there is so much evidence, So I know the statistics and the numbers and the dynamics of if you have a piece of single glazing, how much heat loss or heat gain you'll get versus what double glazing does in order to reduce that. So some way like christ Church and retrofitting is really important because often as we up skill or sorry not upskill, we increase the thermal efficiency of our buildings by adding insulation to the ceilings or to the underfloor or maybe even retrospectively fitting it into the walls. Then our glazing becomes the weak point, right, it's the one part of the thermal envelope of a building where heat loss will occur. Now, the beauty of a house it's about twenty four years old is that chances are when it was built it had insulation in the ceiling. If it's on a concrete slab, it may or may not be some sort of thermal break there, but it will have insulation into the walls as well. Possibly not as much is what we do today, but it will be there in which case, and it will have relatively new aluminium jewinery, I presume. Okay, So you look at that and you go where is the heat loss coming from? And you can just point to the glazing, the single glazing and go that's where your heat loss happens. Because it's relatively modern aluminum jewinery, it's not that difficult to retro fit into there. And the performance gains are great and so very basic level. If you take a piece of single glazed glass or single glazed jowinery and then you replace that with double glazing, the heat loss reduces. Double glazing is seven times more effective, right, keeping the heat in, And there's numbers and evidence to back all that up. So yeah, I've chosen to work with them and they've chosen to work with me, but for very good reason. It makes a significant difference to a house.
Speaker 10: Right, you wouldn't have a phone number for here in christ you just go.
Speaker 2: I know that we've got a team down there. So if you just go online register your interest, someone will come out and do a site measure for you. So just look up retrodg dot co dot nz and you'll find all of the information there retro dg yep dot co dot Let us know how you get on.
Speaker 10: He is very interested in the windows run water overnight, you know, and I don't think that's healthy for anyone.
Speaker 2: No, it's not. There might be some other issues around condensation, so it might also be heating and those sorts of things. But of course it's harder to heat a house if you've got single glazing and you're losing all of that energy out through the single glazing. So have a look at that. That by all means, mention my name and then go from there.
Speaker 10: That's lovely, lovely, very much for your home.
Speaker 2: My pleasure, take care all of us. Jan and John, A very good morning to you. Hello John, Why does that not want to hang on, here we go there, I got you now, John, how are you going?
Speaker 12: Okay? Good morning, Pete, Good morning.
Speaker 16: On Friday, my wife and I looked at a property, yes, which ticks a lot of the boxes that we're looking for. But the agent made a few disclosures, one of which was that a reasonably large deck was unconsented. What would we be lining ourselves up for there if we consider purchasing that property.
Speaker 2: Okay, without wanting to give sort of legal advice or anything like that, it is quite possible that the deck could be built under Schedule one of the Building Act, in which case it doesn't require a building consent. So if, for example, it's not particularly close to the boundary, or it's less than one point five meters high, typically doesn't require a building consent. However, if it's on a Crossley's property and the deck has not been added to the flats plan, that can become quite a costly process.
Speaker 12: Yes, okay, it's it's definitely over one point five meters high.
Speaker 2: Then it does require a building consent.
Speaker 16: Yes, it's extremely sturdy. Three of us were standing on it when we were looking at the property. But the agents sent through the property file and going back through all the information, it appears that the decks were deleted from the original application for a building consent, But without knowing the full story, it looks like perhaps sometimes after they received the code of Compliance certificates for building.
Speaker 2: They then added the decks later then added.
Speaker 12: The decks on.
Speaker 16: Yes, so is that a mine field that we should avoid or I mean, obviously if we consider making an offer, we could make an offer taking the unconsented deck into account. But of course, subsequently, if we look at selling, a potential purchase is going to do the same to us.
Speaker 2: You've got to where I was heading, which is, you know, yes, you could take the risk. But when you go to sell, as inevitably we all do, then a new purchaser is going to ask you the question, how come that decks there and it didn't have a bad incent when it obviously added one. What I can say is that the process of getting like retrospective building consents don't exist right, so you would need to go to council for a certificate of acceptance. The burden of proof for a certificate of acceptance is now much higher than it used to be, so typically in the past, inspector would come out to do a safe and sanitary report. They'd look at it and go, is it going to fall down? No, it's not. Here's you're safe and sanitary. I'm being a bit flippant, But today they would expect you to have someone draw up an as built plan so to ensure that it does the way that it's built does actually comply with the code in terms of the type of piles, the amount of bracing, the span of the bearers, the span of the joysts, the height of the handrail, the way in which the handrail has fixed, all of these sorts of things. And if what's built, even if it is sturdy, doesn't comply with the building code, then you'd need to upgrade it in order to get a certificate of acceptance. But you know, you could spend five ten thousand dollars trying to get compliance for it, and that one of the tricky things would be is how do you determine that the foundations are as per the spec You know, do you dig down next to one of them and find that it's four hundred deep and does that then imply that all of them are four hundred deep? So you can see that there's some fishshocks in it. I'm always reluctant to say, you know, don't do something, and I'm not suggesting that, but I am suggesting that it does get complicated, and typically with building, complicated means expensive.
Speaker 12: Yes, yes, thank you.
Speaker 2: You've kind of go in with your eyes wide open, you know.
Speaker 16: Yes, I suppose that's fair enough easement on a on a driveway. Can I ask you a quick question about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure.
Speaker 16: There are two townhouses on this property, and we're looking at one. We seem to on the title we own the first two thirds of the driveway, and the townhouse behind owns the balance of the driveway, and they have an easement to use your our driveway. There doesn't seem to be anything in the title also suggests that they would contribute to any maintenance.
Speaker 12: Would that be normal?
Speaker 2: Would that be I don't know whether the maintenance thing is typically included in the title and in the way in which the driveway is divided up. I suppose could vary some that I've seen. You know, everyone's got a strip of the driveway, right, Yes, this is since you've got a segment of it. But I guess if the segment is beyond your property, then it kind of makes sense that that becomes their part of it. Your part is outside your house, and then the other part is the other property, the maintenance thing. I don't know that that's typically included in the title, but I think maybe under the Property Act you might find that you can do that. But again, there was an interesting story the other day in Takapuna, or on the North Shore, where ten properties that shared a driveway. They nine of the homeowners were able to be contacted and agreed to contribute to the cost of maintenance. One homeowner, who couldn't be contacted and therefore didn't give their agreement, was sent an invoice for their portion of the repairs. Said I didn't consent to it, therefore I'm not going to pay, and the courts upheld that. But that's a slightly different issue. That's around consent essentially, and you can't undertake repairs expecting someone's going to contribute if they haven't given their consent contributing. So I wonder whether in your case, with the title and the easement, if there was maintenance, you would you would need to get the agreement of all of the affected parties before you undertook any expense.
Speaker 12: Yes, no, Hey.
Speaker 16: Thanks very much yea for your thoughts, but e'd appreciate it.
Speaker 2: All right, Really nice talking to you and good luck with the process. The very best. Do you take care. John, you're with New Stork, said b. I'm with the inmate. You're consistently trying to justify bureaucracy and more and more regulation building, which is most annoying Tree from christ Church. If we want better buildings, we probably need better regulations. That's all I'm going to say. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty the number to call. We're going to talk to at around eight point thirty. If you've got a comment to make in the very very briefest bit of time that we've got left, you're welcome to do so. Oh, this is interesting. We've talked quite a bit about septic systems. This is the new regulations. So this is just come in morning read the council and the septic systems orcan Council imposes different rules on comparable properties. We live in north west Auckland, with most houses less than three years old. Council have been unbelievable with their requirements, very inconsistent, requiring some owners to spend thousands of dollars, ranging from soil testing, river assessments, and extensive planting others. No special requirements in grass growing over the drip lines. I'm all for common sense rules, but inconsistency in rules and application the rules reinforces that our council are incompetent. I'm just reading the text out to be here. The inconsistency would be frustrating though. Soil testing, river assessments, extensive planting that would have to be part of the actual construction if you're proposing one, if there's one there, would you still need to do soil testing? Oh eight, one hundred and eighty, ten eighty, there's the number to call. Should we take a break? Now? Do we take a break?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 2: We wait for rid? Now, we'll wait for a couple of minutes. It is typically my process at the end of the year to offer up a few thanks, and I'll do that right now. Actually, for you know, twenty twenty four has been challenging, right, it's a fair way of saying it. In construction and so on, and generally in business, it is my great pleasure. As I mentioned to jan actually she asked about retro double glazing, and they've been a company that I've been associated with for a number of years. I continue to support what they do because I think double glazing works basically, so why wouldn't you have it? And so metro or retro DG metro performance glass that I've worked with them for a number of years and I really appreciate that. I also work with Bailey Tanks, so again rainwater harvesting, sustainability, but of resilience. These things are really important and they're also part of innovation. So whether it's you know, tanks for urban environments, tanks for using up underused space underneath your deka, under the house, or the brand new in ground tanks that they've just developed, it's all part of making our properties a little bit more sustainable, a little bit more environmentally friendly, and certainly a lot more resilient. And certainly I'm looking forward to the fact that over the summer, when it really stops raining and a water the garden that I can do so out of a water tank, that I've done my own little bit of rain water harvesting in an environment, in an urban environment. So my thanks to the team at Bailey's, the good people at J and L. Duken. So this is Jayframe and tryboard long association with them as well, and continuing to see sort of the innovation that they bring to the sector, particularly around in some cases some affordable housing solutions that Tryboarder is part of, and just better building with Jaframe Framing as well, and Mike Colds has been regular contributed to the show. So Razine Construction Systems again, my thanks to their team and to the fantastic work when it all get a but tricky, you know, with exterior clouding systems, they were one of the first hour of the blocks to go okay, well we can do better and here's what our systems are going to be like going forward. And I really appreciate again that innovation and that forward thinking that we see from a company like Razine Construction Systems, Jay and Bryce from Razine Paints in general, they've been fantastic on the show this year offering up their advice. I've had a number of really outstanding contributors have joined us kind of on an ad hoc basis, so from people from the dispute stribunal. We've had Hamish Firth, our planner talking about Auckland. Well we're talking about planning rules in general, but Hamish has been really good, very succinct around changes to the RMA. I know we've got some time booked in with him in the new year to talk about this latest water care announcement, saying this is where the development's going to happen and where it's not, or where our infrastructure is going to be and where it's not. So we'll talk to Hamish, Mike Thornton who's been on the show a couple of times offering up some legal advice. Ben Johnson as well talking about the Property Act. We'll get him back on the show this year. So and to Hailey from Doozy who helps manage my business affairs and so on, I really appreciate your support as well, and more importantly thank you for being part of the show in twenty twenty five as well. Ratings are reasonable, listenership is pretty good numbers across the country, and more importantly for me, it's the occasional sort of bumping into someone at a hardware store or at home and garden show. Actually, the good people at Jade Promotions who run the home and garden shows really enjoy working with them as well and will continue to do so. And an increasing range of home and garden shows around the country. I think first one will kick off and wrote au next year there'll be new shows in Queenstown, There'll be a new show in Needen. Hoping to get back to tim as well. So looking forward to being on the road with the Home and Garden Show and the home and Better Living shows around the country this year. Yeah, but for you to my listeners and callers and texters, and I have to say at the end of the year, I mean, I've got fantastic texts, not all of them complementary to be fair, and possibly the most memorable amongst a number of memorable ones. I made an off the cuff remark about someone was looking at at how do I you know I've got a loose screw in a door hinge? Is there a particular type of product that I need to use? Looking for sort of I guess elaborate or complex solutions to that. And I just suggested that, hey, look what I do in those in some of those situations, take the screw out, get a match to jam it in there, snap the top off, put the screw back in. Job done, And a couple of weeks later I got a text from someone who described herself as a seventy three year old woman living on her own who doesn't do a lot of DIY. And she said, there was a loose hinge in my kitchen. And I remembered what you said, and I got a screwdriver, and I took the screw out, and I put a match sticken, I put the screw back in, and it's fixed. It's probably the first time I've done any DIY. So I figure as I get to the end of twenty twenty four, if I managed to encourage a in her own words, a seventy three year old woman who's never done any DIY to fix something for herself, that's mission accomplished for me. Righty oh, let's get into the garden. Thanks again for your company this year. It's been an absolute pleasure. Let's get into the garden for the last time in twenty twenty four. But don't worry, Rude'll be back and around in twenty twenty five as well. Like the weeds that we often talk about, he is pretty much indestructible. Right, rud climb passed after the break, oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty. If you'd like to talk to.
Speaker 1: Rud doing up the house, sorting the garden, asked Pete for a hand. The resident builder with Peter Wolfcam and life Force solar solar power done right, col.
Speaker 12: News talks.
Speaker 2: They'd be climb past. Welcome, Welcome, welcome, Hell are you sir?
Speaker 18: I'm very good, Peter, and I loved your little ramble about the the y owl boxes again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll tell you what. It was a bit of a surprise. I was thinking back and I was thinking, you know, if there was one thing that I didn't expect to be building this year, it would have to be ol boxes. But it's been a huge pleasure, to be fair.
Speaker 5: It's good fun, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I love it. It's been great.
Speaker 18: At about five six days ago before Christmas, we looked at a few boxes, the two young owls that we had last have left, yes, and we took the whole interior droppings inside the box out of that box and they are now going to be studied by somebody that can to be university.
Speaker 5: Aaron is going to look at.
Speaker 18: Exactly what these things eat when they're young, they're old, and all that sort of stuff. And it's absolutely wonderful what you can do with those boxes because you can actually learn so much from these creatures.
Speaker 2: Like fantastic citizen science.
Speaker 18: It's certainly well, no, this is real, proper, this is this is MSc or whatever it is you PD whatever you.
Speaker 2: Call it, fantastic, fantastic. Right, we've got a full boarder calls. Let's rip into it. Roger A very good morning to you, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 9: What time to play spy roses for what?
Speaker 5: Roger flex spot and stuff for for a fungal disease?
Speaker 11: Yeah, just ap roses. Yeah, and it is a time for you to do it.
Speaker 18: I would do it now if if I were you, because the moment you get a good number of droplets coming down from a rain shower, you'll find it is basically it's basically vulnerable to get more infection. So in this case, the fungicide you can use, for instance, Nature's Way spray or whatever is basically protecting your roses from being infected rather than having to cure cure it afterwards.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: Oh am, have a go now all.
Speaker 2: This and Ian A very good morning to you, good morning.
Speaker 7: Go for it.
Speaker 12: We've got Christmas bugs arrive every Christmas in the coramandel, and they're coming plague proportions come after dark or you know it's going dusk and just where they head for light apparently and drive your nuts. In the morning, they're piled up again the again your doors or the window sills and the sort of stuff.
Speaker 5: With them. Now, can you describe them? First of all?
Speaker 4: Ian?
Speaker 12: Yeah, they're little bugs maybe three quarters of an inch long. They fly, yeah, and they have got hard backs. When you stand on them, they crunch.
Speaker 5: That's right. Color.
Speaker 12: They are a brownie color.
Speaker 14: Okay.
Speaker 12: I've found my computer for them, and they do call them Christmas folks there too.
Speaker 5: In where in Australia.
Speaker 12: No, in New Zealand and the coramandle here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, but yeah, okay.
Speaker 18: The problem is there are Christmas bugs in Australia and what you might have here is that doesn't matter. The ones that I hear, the smaller ones are the beatles that are actually flying indeed late late spring and early summer, and they actually eat the leaves of your plants, your trees quite often fruit trees, right right, Have you seen that?
Speaker 5: Have you seen holes in leaves?
Speaker 12: Now? Now, I've just seen holes in poker trees around here, But they're big. I think they're bigger than the beetle that eat.
Speaker 5: The thing with these these creatures is the brown ones.
Speaker 18: Is the fact that they basically eat foliage, which in itself is not a big deal, to be quite honest, because most plants will replace the eaten foliage by getting new leaves created, if you like. The second thing is that when they finally have eaten their foliage, they lay their eggs right down in the ground because it's.
Speaker 5: Their babies that eat the roots of the plants as well.
Speaker 18: And the problem is it is really hard to predict when they strike, where they strike, what night they come, where, et cetera.
Speaker 5: They are attracted to lights, I must say, but.
Speaker 18: It's really difficult to actually keep them under control in this case. The best thing is that I've noticed here is that I've got some magpies and I've got all sorts of other creatures that get them in the evening. Especially owls find them in the old droppings as well. They come and pick them up at night and they eat them basically as they can see them in the middle of the night, just like that.
Speaker 12: Thanks for that, we do have like millions of them that come and the vacuuming them up is about the only way to get rid of them. That's probably the right plastic bag because of the throm and the rubbish spin they'll get going again.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 18: Or in this case, put them in a container and chuck them in the freezer for a while. Uh huh, Yeah, that's the only way.
Speaker 9: To do it.
Speaker 12: Okay, Well they will go eventually, but they're a bit of a nuisance at the moment, and I think a lot of the people that live host the sea are afflicted by them.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I don't think that their impact on your tree, shrubs and plants is that great. Yes, I know they create holes and people get really really upset about the holes. But the interesting thing is, as I said before, that holes are being replaced by new leaves by the plant. Basically, it's a it's a system of repairing the tree, and it's what they do, so it's not a big deal.
Speaker 12: We have a lot of bush around us and we're not concerned about what it does to the bush because you can't see any difference. But it's just that they pile up in heaps around your windows and pens and whatever around your house, and there are a hell of a thing to get rid of or to clean up every day. Every day you've got to do vacuuming outside on decks and areas like that that are exposed to the light at night. Open for God to help you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember, I remember.
Speaker 18: We had them a lot in Tity Rangy and in in meadow Bank where we used to live. And to be quite honest, the original common name is bronze beetle, the bronze beetle.
Speaker 5: Bron there you are, Thank you for that, welcome.
Speaker 2: Thank you very very much. Hey quick texture, someone's building a r box. Funnily enough, do we put ventilation holes in the base plus the bark I'm looking forward to watching the owls from robin holes.
Speaker 18: No, no, no, you don't need ventilation holes because they go in to this. There's always movement of air there. Yeah, don't worry, no, don't worry about it at all.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, do I need to add like a little dormer or something like that.
Speaker 5: Now you've got it.
Speaker 18: No, no, because you need to get their checked by the council every six months.
Speaker 2: Robert A very good morning to you.
Speaker 7: Oh, good morning, rude hippie Christmas, and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sad to you.
Speaker 12: Roll.
Speaker 7: Thank you. Now I hear the major issue with rye grass. I believe that's what it does. It's like it looks like wheat and it's got all those little pistles and it's just like a light yellow color and it's all over my grass. So obviously when I'm o the lawns seen it just free plants all the seeds. Yeah, so how do I get rid of it?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 7: Literally got hardly grass list.
Speaker 18: And that's the point because if you had to see there are there are there are weed killers that only do grass or only doing non grass. But in this case, you've got a grass that is a weed inside your lawn. So you only get rid of the lot and spray a whole lot and start redoing it. But where does it come from? Where does the seed come from?
Speaker 5: Does this fly in? Does it go in the wind on your feet?
Speaker 7: You thought there was there was a fiction over the now building on it, but it was covered in it, and it's flying over from from the back neighbor.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's not that horrific badly grass?
Speaker 16: Is it?
Speaker 7: Quite possibly? They I just thought it might be rye grass. I don't know. It's just it's got like a Well, I think I've got both. I've got the ones with the quite big long seeds on it, and then I've got the little fine ones that grow up as well. And the thing is, I've got a fluffy pussy cat and she gets some stuck in a fair and I don't want them to get into a skin because they can't. You have become quite infected in things. So that's the yeah, But I just want to get rid of it anyway because it's just ugly.
Speaker 5: Is your is your lawn lade?
Speaker 7: It's I've got a front on the back side that goes around the house. I wouldn't say it's large large. I mean it's probably about five meters I ate at the front, and that the same at the side, and then the same at the back, so the nel shape.
Speaker 18: Would it be feasible to pull those things out individually and leave your lawn as it is?
Speaker 5: You know what I mean?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Well, I had thought of that.
Speaker 18: Is might need to get a crew and grandkids. Grandkids are good at that, and especially this down the year when they need some money.
Speaker 7: Yeah, true, true. I have got a niece n here that I could employ.
Speaker 5: There you go, that's one. The other thing. And this is something I talked to Francisco about some time ago.
Speaker 18: Get rid of it, spray everything, and get yourself a wildflower lawn that you don't have to mow, and that will be totally different in terms of looks, and it will give you wildflower seeds, just wildflower seeds, so many different species of plant that grow in that become your lawn, and you can then, if you like, make a little you can mow a little trek through that if you want to go from A to B in your loan for instance.
Speaker 7: You know, yeah for the washing nine Yeah, okay, So what kind of thing to kill it? Do I use to kill it?
Speaker 18: Or wolf or anything and any anything things such as round up and a control and all the things that get rid of your of grass, of any grass, and any glass.
Speaker 7: Sort of get rid of the whole off.
Speaker 5: Again and.
Speaker 7: Plant the seeds like it won't because sometimes when I was told, when you use round up or something, you can't plant anything for a few months because it's still in the soil or something.
Speaker 5: No, it's not that long. You can do that within a couple of weeks, no problem.
Speaker 7: Okay, a couple of weeks all this yeap very quick a question. Yeah, ye, silver beate, broccoli and collie. So what would I use to fertilize those? Like, do I use salt space of poffish or no?
Speaker 18: Not necessarily, you can do a general fertilizer like a rose fertilizer or something like that.
Speaker 5: Very very similar with.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, lovely.
Speaker 2: Okay, all the good luck problem. We're gonna take short break the backs right after the news or straight after the break. Rather, it is basically eight forty five your news talks. We're talking to you about all things gardening and the wonderful world of bug scary. Good morning, Good.
Speaker 19: Morning, Marue, Good morning, Pete.
Speaker 7: Hey Rue.
Speaker 19: I just have a problem with the with chickweed, and I'm down my hands and knees, and of course you've got to keep pulling it out amongst all your flowers and around your bed your garden. Is any think that you can stop it from growing or just a thing that you've got to put up with and just keep pulling it out.
Speaker 5: The problem, this is the problem.
Speaker 18: If you start spraying and you've got some desirable plants in between, it's really hard not there the others, isn't it.
Speaker 19: That's right, Yeah, I know some when I'm pulling it out to be careful, I don't wraps around all the center of the flowers. And you've got to care if you don't wreck the flowers. And so is it just a job you've just got to put up with them and keep pulling it.
Speaker 18: Out, or is it Would you be able to do the weeding in between yours your good plants?
Speaker 19: Oh yes, yes, yes, but I know that I was doing it yesterday and it's come up sometime. It comes up through the center them as well. You know you see.
Speaker 14: Here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's too hard, isn't it.
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 18: Do it by hand, or get yourself a Clark cultivator there you go. Oh you know what if you mentioned the fact that you heard this on the radio, go to the Clark cultivator, you know, on the website, and they'll give you something like thirty three percent off.
Speaker 5: I've just thought, being Dutch, I might be able to.
Speaker 7: Tell you that.
Speaker 6: Much.
Speaker 19: You have a happy New Year to you made go well.
Speaker 2: I tell you what with some of the because I've had the same thing, right, these weeds coming up in the garden in between things that I don't want to kill. So in those cases. I've used those little bottle that you can literally brush it on individual plants. It's time consuming, but at least you get it down into the roots.
Speaker 18: And you know that you're not taking the ones you don't want. Phil, Yeah, you know, I totally agree. But that's a painting job. It's almost like a painting pretty much.
Speaker 2: Make sure.
Speaker 5: Shall we take a break and come we'll talk to back in the month.
Speaker 11: Here.
Speaker 2: It be a couple of minutes to go, and it is with me, Gail, A very good morning to you.
Speaker 20: Good morning, Pete and Ruth. I'm very upset. My small flowering peach is covered on peaches, which we love. But the leaves on the end of a few of the branches are terrible. They're sort of brown and dying, and the peaches are affected. Can I spray it with something?
Speaker 5: You could try? If it's if?
Speaker 18: Do you think that it's leaf curl Can that be a description of those leaves that become yellowish.
Speaker 5: Inside the curler?
Speaker 20: No, No, it's leaf dying.
Speaker 18: It's leave dying. That's okay, that's not nice. Oh gosh, gollye and different color you said as well.
Speaker 20: Dark barn and they look just horrible.
Speaker 18: Oh, cheapest creepers look without really seeing it. I find it really hard to diagnose something without seeing.
Speaker 4: It, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: If it is if it is a fungal disease.
Speaker 18: If you think it's a fungal disease, get yourself, get yourself something like a material that yates nature's way fungus. Spray at least copper that contains copper and sulfur. Yeah, that's why I mentioned it. You can use just copper, but if you use copper and sulfur, you have a wider.
Speaker 5: Reach if you like, oh I see, thank you, And the reason is.
Speaker 18: Then you will stop the spread through this at this moment, still healthy leaves, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, it's it's really hard to do that.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I hope that's going to work for you. Girl. It's it's a pain in the bum sometimes these things. But there you go.
Speaker 20: Yeah, peaches after spraying with Nature's.
Speaker 5: Right, Yes you can.
Speaker 18: And that's why I mentioned it, because it's an edible plant. You wash your peaches and you'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Okay, fantastic, Thank you, Gail, take care, all the best and all the very best to you for New Year, and again my thanks to you for your contribution. And I think that people I don't know underestimate the impact that you have in terms of sort of raising awareness and the education side of what you do. And I would imagine that it must be if you took a moment you probably don't do this, but if you took a moment, stood back and went hey, I was part of this rejuvenation of people restoring wetlands and looking after You know, you'd have to say, you'd have to put yourself on the back, and I bet you don't do it, So I'm going to do it.
Speaker 18: Oh thank you, that's lovely to say, but you do the same thing. I mean, this is exactly what the world should be about today.
Speaker 5: This is it. That's why I'm wearing mo wingspan head.
Speaker 2: See you later, looking forward to hitting down there. Take care, Happy new year to you and Rude will be back with us next year, which, of course next Sunday will be the fifth of January, so looking forward to you joining you again. Then take care for more from the Resident Builder with Peter Wolfcamp.
Speaker 1: Listen live to news talks that'd be on Sunday Mornings from Sex or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.