Speaker 1: The information provided in this program is of a general nature and is not intended to be personalized financial advice. We encourage you to seek appropriate advice from a qualified professional to suit your individual circumstances. Micro Strategy is the world's largest corporate holder of bitcoin. We're in Washington, DC to interview its executive chairman, Michael Sailor about how his company has catapulted to be one of the most highly valued in America.
Speaker 2: Really, micro Strategies pioneering a new market. We're issuing securities backed by digital capital, backed by bitcoin.
Speaker 1: This whole conversion financial engineering type strategy is often referred to online as the infinite money glitch.
Speaker 2: See the misnomer there is. It's not a money glitch. It is a digital transformation of the capital markets.
Speaker 1: Meet Michael Sailor, the technology entrepreneur who started micro Strategy in nineteen eighty nine and took it public on the Nasdaq in ninety eight. What is an enterprise software company is now better known as the world's first and largest corporate holder of bitcoin. In August twenty twenty, Sailor converted two hundred and fifty million US dollars of the company's cash to bitcoin. Since then, he's spent almost ten billion US dollars acquiring more. Its total worth is now more than fifteen billion dollars, making micro Strategy officially a whale. It owns more than one percent of all bitcoin available.
Speaker 3: The strategy has transformed.
Speaker 1: Its once languishing share price to a market capitalization of more than forty billion US dollars at the time this video was made. Its valuation represents a premium to its bitcoin holdings of about two and a half times.
Speaker 3: While believers think it could shoot higher.
Speaker 1: Some short sellers believe it's only worth however much bitcoin it actually holds. Michael Saylor is obviously more bullish. He sees his company is at the center of the modern capital flow to digital assets. To understand how he thinks about the company's future, we flew seventeen hours from New Zealand to the United States to interview him at.
Speaker 3: His apartment in Washington, DC.
Speaker 1: A reminder that this show never offers financial advice, but what this interview does offer is an insight into the mind of Michael Saylor. mIRC Sailer, thank you so much for having us in your incredible apartment.
Speaker 3: It's so good to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Rah, thanks for coming.
Speaker 3: I guess you are most welcome.
Speaker 1: I heard in another interview that you did that you resented people who worked from home. So I felt like we had to come and.
Speaker 3: I was ready to do this ran in person.
Speaker 1: Now you were just telling me before, but I'd love my audience to hear this. You spent some time in New Zealand growing up.
Speaker 2: Tell me about that. I did. My father was in the United States Air Force and there was a station down on the South Island in Blenham And so when I was a child. I guess I arrived around age three and I stayed there till age six. I remember walking to school through a wheat field, and every day at school, the highlight of the day was when they delivered our lunch, and it was it was either fish and chips wrapped in a newspaper or it was a meat pie and you could alternate between one or the other.
Speaker 3: Sounds about right.
Speaker 2: It was like the culinary highlight of my childhood. When it came back to the US, the food went downhill from there.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: So you actually started school in New Zealand. So I'm going to claim you as a Kiwi for the rest of this conversation.
Speaker 3: If you're right with that?
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, like I want to get the figures right, micro Strategies bitcoin holdings. Two hundred and fifty two, two hundred and twenty is the number of bitcoin you hold? Is that still correct? And if we put that at the current price around sixty six thousand US dollars, that is the total value of about sixteen billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Maybe closer to seventeen billion right now, but yeah, sixteen after seventeen billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Now, do you mind if I personally ask how much how many bitcoin you hold? Personally in its total value?
Speaker 2: I have more than seventeen thousand, seven hundred and thirty two. That was the amount I announced about four years ago. Haven't sold any That's amazing. Okay.
Speaker 1: We're going to come back to that and talk more about the bitcoin revolution in the latest stage of this interview, But first I want to talk about micro Strategy, the company that you yourself started decades ago. Now, how should investors think about the underlying software company because you still operate it. Right, You often talk about micro Strategy as a bitcoin development company, but I can imagine the actual software company is quite critical because its success provides the means to accumulate one bitcoin.
Speaker 2: Well, the way to think about micro strategy is three components. We've got a balance sheet, which is the bitcoin balance sheet. We've got a software business, a technology business, and that was the springboard for us to get into bitcoin. And now we've got an emerging bitcoin securitization business where we're a bitcoin development company and we leverage our bitcoin balance sheet to issue security to the public market that no one else could so easily create as us. So if we look at the software business, well, that's a five hundred million dollar a year revenue business and it generates consistent cash flows, and that got us to twenty twenty and that's still a very healthy business. It's a multinational and we do business with thousands of companies all around the world, including customers in Australia and New Zealand and Korea and Japan and you know, you name it. But the best way to think about micro strategy of your investor is we have we're the largest operating company that holds bitcoin. So if you have seventeen billion dollars of capital a bitcoin that's permanent, so there's no redemption rights to that there's ETFs like black Rock or Fidelity that are comparable to us in size, but those are over night deposits. So if you said, hey, I've got seventeen billion dollars in deposits, people can take the money out of the bank tomorrow, Well, they just basically a trustee holding the money. They and they return it when they're asked to return it. You can't leverage it, and you can't build businesses on top of it. Micro Strategy has permanent capital, so for example, we can do things like we can issue convertible bonds on top of that capital. So if you have you know, we have sixteen to seventeen billion in bitcoin exposure, we have four point two billion and convertible bonds. The bonds we can issue fairly cheaply because we have a stock. The stock reflects the permanent capital the bitcoin, but that's not redeemable either. That means that it can generate a premium to the bitcoin. So as people trade the stock and they trade the options on the stock, the stock trades that are premium to the acid value, and when the stock trades at a premium to the asset value, the company issues either equity or convertible bonds at a premium to the underlying assets. When we do that, we don't just put the money in the bank or in t bills. We actually invest the money in bitcoin. So you can imagine when the company issues, if we were to sell a billion dollars of equity in the market and it's back by five hundred million a bitcoin at one hundred percent premium, then we buy the bitcoin in three days later, we've generated a five hundred million dollar gain for our shareholders in bitcoin. So that's very interesting. That generates what we call a BTC yield. Now, if we do the same thing with a bond, a billion dollar convertible bond, we don't do it a one hundred percent premium. It might be a two hundred percent premium because the bond comes at a premium to the stock. So when you go up forty percent over a stock which is one hundred percent, now you're looking at something looks like more than one hundred and eighty percent. So now a billion dollar bond sold into the markets backed by three hundred and fifty million dollars a bitcoin we buy backed the billion of bitcoin, we capture the six hundred fifty million dollar gain another BTC yield. So the real operating business of the company isn't the software business anymore. I mean that's that's still there. It generates seventy five million in cash flow, but one of those bonds would generate ten years worth of earnings in five days. And so really micro strategies pioneering a new market. We're issuing securities backed by digital capital, got backed by bitcoin, and then we're buying the bitcoin back. So what that means is I could issue the bond in one week, buy the bitcoin, capture the three four five hundred million dollar gain, announce it to the market. The stock would trade up. I could do another bond the next week. So instead of a tradition model where I raise a billion dollars, I go find real estate in Auckland. I invest in the real estate, I leverage it up, and in five years you determine whether I was smart or stupid.
Speaker 1: History of our property market, you'd be pretty smart.
Speaker 2: It's a five year investment cycle. And if I was smart, after five years, I come back to the capital market and I say I'd like to raise another billion. Now I have to find another set of real estate in Auckland, or Blenham or Sydney or Melbourne, and it takes another five years to figure out whether it worked. So what you have there is heterogeneous credit, and you have a slow investment cycle. Micro strategy has homogeneous credit. We're going to raise a billion by bitcoin. Show you that we bought bitcoin to ac created bitcoin per share. The investors look at it. It's an immediate gain. We just lived through five years in five days. And then once we've done that fast rapid investment cycle, what's your next idea. I'm going to do the same thing again. I'm going to buy another billion of bitcoin. And so if you look at that against the backdrop of this year. In the first quarter, we did an eight hundred million dollar convertible bond, We bought bitcoin. The market liked it. The very next week, we went back to the market, did a six hundred million dollar convertible bond, bought more bitcoin. It was a creative the market liked it. So what we do. We went back to the next quarter. We did another eight hundred million dollar bond, We bought bitcoin, the market liked it. In the middle we sold hundreds of millions of dollars of equity and the next quarter, we sold more equity. We sold one point one billion of equity in Q three. We basically did that at a massive premium, so we captured a large BTC yield. We announced that the market liked it, and then very next week we did a convertible bond and that became a billion dollar convertible bond. And so what you see is we're running a very rapid investment cycle. We're developing a city in cyber we call that city Bitcoin. It's like if we were the first public company to show up in Manhattan and we started selling debt or public equity instruments in order to raise money to develop Manhattan, and everybody else was using cash or going at a slow rate. And if we found that the two innovations are one, we issue public securities to develop Manhattan, and the second is we can build a building in five days. Right. So you can't do that in real space. It takes five years to build a building, right, and you can't hit the public markets for capital. But in cyberspace, I can raise the capital every month. I can build the building in five days. Our investors are bitcoiners, right, So if you're a bitcoiner, what do you think you think bitcoin's going to go up forever with some volatility. So what do you want? You want more bitcoin per share. So how do you know whether the company is succeeding that's giving you bitcoin per share. Well, we do the deal, we announce BTCLD. This is how your bitcoin per share are creeded. How long does it take? Takes a few days. So the real micro strategy business is to be the leading public issuer of securities in order to acquire bitcoin. And as we acquire the bitcoin, we're driving up the scarcity of the bitcoin. We've now bought more than one percent of the bitcoin. Now there's only four hund and fifty bitcoin available for sale from every day by natural sellers, the miners, you know. So four hundred and fifty times sixty seven thousand a bitcoin, it works out the twenty twenty million in change. So you can see what happens is if we're raising capital via tapping into the public equity markets and the public fixed income markets, and we're bringing that capital back and we're structuring our balance sheet and we're buying the bitcoin, then that's good for bitcoin, and of course that lefsverage that we get via issuing the debt that's four point two billion dollars of debt at eighty basis points. So we pay, you know, we pay less than one percent interest for the four point two billion, which creates the leverage on the equity. And because there's leverage on the equity, that creates more performance. It also creates more volatility. Now, who wants volatility? The option traders want volatility. So in the options market, we've gone from a three million dollar open interest in micro strategy options to some day's forty billion, right, So the options traders are trading high volatility. You can think of them as the options traders want ten x leverage on Bitcoin, ten to twenty x leverage, and maybe they want it long, they want calls, or maybe they want to short it ten x. They just you know, the haters want to short it. The numbers what a log it, right, But then micro strategy is like one point five x bitcoin. And then if you build a derivative on micro strategy like MSTU or mst X, they're like two x micro strategy. So that's like three x bitcoin. And so how well have they done in like two weeks? They raise like seven hundred million dollars in two weeks no marketing. So on top of this stack, if you're looking at spot bitcoin et spot bitcoin, you either buy bitcoin or you buy ibit or FBTC. They're offering you standard bitcoin returns fifty ar R with fifty fifty volatility and fifty R and one hundred percent upside one hundred percent downside. That is the digital commodity micro strategy. The stock is one point five x, and the way we get to one point five x is we issue these bonds which give you half the upside of bitcoin little downside. What if I want half the upside five percent of the downside, right, Well, that's you buy a convertible bond, a senior in the capital structure of a company that's four x over collateralized. Right. So people that are risk averse they can actually buy the bond. They get half the benefit. People that are bitcoin maximalists can buy the equity and get one point five percent benefit. The degenerates, the traders, they can get three to ten x, and then the haters can short the common stock or short or short with puts. And we have sometimes fifteen billion dollars or twenty billion dollars of open put interest. You know, when I was a younger man, when we first came public, you know, I was in my early thirties, and if people shortened my stock, I'd be like, they're short of my stock. I don't like them.
Speaker 3: But you still called them to generates today.
Speaker 2: You know, that's that's a term where am I I would reserve to people that are traded with so much leverage. They might get wiped out on the weekend, but they do it for the thrills in lieu of going to Vegas. No, but when I was a younger man, you know, I would have been concerned about people short in my stock. But now I'm not because micro strategy is really just providing a set of institutional instruments. Then institutional investors can use to tailor a portfolio that's long short hedged. They can sell the volatility, they can arbitrage the volatility, they can arbitrage any instrument against any other instrument. They can generate yield, they can buy insurance. Some of those people that are short, they'll short a billion dollars of micro strategy and they'll buy a billion dollars a bitcoin. And so if we didn't exist, then billions and billions of dollars of capital from the traditional finance markets wouldn't be invested in bitcoin because they can't buy or hold the underlying crypto asset. They can only buy securities or bonds or options or other instruments. So we become an institutional gateway for crypto exposure by all types of investors. And you know, my real aspiration now is if you really hate bitcoin, I want you to love us like we're the perfect instrument to short right of you, because I promise you I won't sell it right. We're going to be levered long bitcoin. And if you're if you don't like it, or if you just want to hedge it, you get to sell our stock or sell or sell puts or byputs right and uh. And the worst thing I could do is to take your side of the trade or to interfere with what you're doing. So so I think part of micro strategies rise to prominence in the space is we have been laser focused. We're very consistent, we're very transparent. We're going to buy bitcoin, never sell bitcoin. We're going to borrow money intelligently. If you like Manhattan and if a company said I'm going to borrow five billion dollars at one percent interest, and I'm going to develop real estate in Manhattan. You might think that that's kind of company you would like to invest in. But if you hate Manhattan and we're one hundred and fifty percent exposed in Manhattan, you get this investment teach you're like, that's the company I want to short. And the most important point in the marketplace is you just have to be very pure, true to your focus, have integrity and consistency and transparency because it's it's not my job to trade hedge arbitrage or construct that portfolio. There are guys with hundreds of millions or billions of dollars in a Bloomberg and that's what they do every day. So my contract with them is we're going to do what you can't do. We're going to buy bitcoin, whole bitcoin, and we're going to issue equity and we're going to issue debt instruments and you can't do that. We're a public company and on the you know the Nasdaq Stock Exchange in America with the nearly thirty year track record, and we have sixteen billion of permanent capital that's bitcoin, right, So I can create an equity with eighty or ninety vol. I can have permanent capital. We can stand massive swings because of our capital structure. That's what we can do. What you can do is decide if you want to buy it, sell it, hedge it, or short it. Short it.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about micro strategies.
Speaker 1: Rise there. In the past few days, it hit forty three billion dollars, a fifty two week high. All of those functions that you've spoken about, the reasons why you think that your stock can currently command a dreemium to its net asset value forty three billion at it's high versus that sixteen billion, and it's near asset value being the bitcoin holdings. Give me the rationale beyond what you've mentioned about those functions for you think that you think it may be able to continue to expand to perhaps one trillion.
Speaker 2: Yes, because I mean, if you wanted to make it. Put it simply, we're the only company that can issue bitcoin back bonds. So anybody can buy bitcoin and have all the downside and all the upside and all the volatility. But what if I want half the upside but no downside. Well, there's a lot of people if you look at the at the fixed income market, Look at the corporate debt market, look at the preferred stock market, look at the convertible bond market. People in the convertible bond market, they have to buy a convertible bond I can buy. I can sell a billion dollars of bonds in one day to people that have to buy the bar. They can't buy bitcoin, they can't buy the equity. So who in the market is the leading issue of convertible bonds. Well, we are micro Strategy. We've issued like five billion dollars worth of convertible bonds, and so we've got that credibility. And what's going to back the bonds Bitcoin? Well, what if I had fifty billion dollars of cash and treasuries and I wanted to issue bitcoin bonds. It wouldn't work. Why because the volatility of a T bill is five, the volatility of bitcoin is fifty. The volatility of micro Strategy equity is eighty. If you want to buy a convertible bond, you want to buy a bond from an issuer that has volatility more than forty five. You want high volatility, you want high liquidity, and of course you also would like the bitcoin upside. If bitcoin if it doubles, the convertible bond will provide you a bitcoin return only if it's sold to you by a company that's all all bitcoin. So micro Strategies this bitcoin securities company. And if if I want highvoll high performance bitcoin equity, well you have to have a company is one hundred and fifty percent bitcoin. If you want high volatility, high performing bitcoin converts, you need a company that's backed by bitcoin. If you want to buy, you know, a bond that pays one hundred two hundred basis points more than conventional things, you need a company that can sell you that bond that has a way to generate better than that. So there's an entire swap market out there where a lot of people would love to get paid seven percent interest. Fixed income retirees let people literally have one hundred billion dollar funds and they have to buy bonds that generate fixed income. That's the name of the fund, fixed income. They can't buy bitcoin, they can't buy the equity, They might not even buy the convertible bond. So MicroStrategy can we can generate that bond. And of course bitcoin's been going up fifty percent a year, so we have crude capital digital capital. On one side, this is fifty percent with massive volatility. There's a lot of people that would love ten percent fixed income with ten volatility. So how do you turn you know, high voltage capital into low voltage fixed income. You need a transformer, Okay, So what's the perfect transformer? A company with ten twenty thirty billion dollars of bitcoin and then I sell a billion dollar bond here that gives you this percentage and this low volatility, and I invest the money into this which is high performance, high volatility. And so what Microstate does is we're scraping or stepping down the volatility, and we're stepping down the performance. Now you would think, why would you want ten percent instead of fifty percent? I mean, like, why would you want that? Well, micro Strategy has gotten fifty percent every year for the past four years, but we took fifty percent vole. Right. The world's full of people that would rather have five percent and five vol or ten percent and ten vol or fifteen percent and fifteen vol. So, in essence, micro strategies opportunity is to be that leading public company in securitizing this asset class and then providing the derivatives, you know, fixed income, high yield, convertible, high performance equity, And you can't really do that if you don't have a public company with permanent capital. You can't do it with that sec forty and ETA for a trust. See they've got overnight deposits. They can't generate five years duration leverage on some kind of preferred or bond like instrument. So I guess the last metaphor I give you is, you know, standard oil created the oil business. So I give you a petrochemical refinery and think about what goes in one side. It's crude oil. What comes out the other side? Gasoline? Why do you put gasoline in the car, because that's the only thing that works. Kerosene? What do you put that in jets? That's jet fuel? Right? Propylene?
Speaker 1: You know, the two men goes in paint.
Speaker 2: All of those petrochemical products come out this side. The refinery does a lot of work and incomes crude oil. So think of micro strategy as we take in crude capital. There's no doubt it's the best performing acid fifty years. It's theoretically the best digital. Best form of capital is digital capital. It's just scary to a lot of people. It's too volatile, it's too difficult to manage. So they want someone that can, you know, domesticate it, step it down, package it in safe components, and then connect it into the fixed income market, the high yield market, the you know, the convert market, and the public equity markets and micro strategy. You know, we inadvertently, we just inadvertently backed into that because to do what you do what we did, you have to start with a very small company, a billion dollar company, and then we become a forty billion dollar company and now we're one hundred and fifty percent bitcoin. So if you take another billion dollar company and do what we're doing, you can't catch us, because at this point we can we can grow five ten billion dollars a year in capital or faster. Can't catch us if you start with the same thing. But if you take a big company like Google or Meta or Microsoft or Apple, and they took fifty billion and they bought fifty billion a bitcoin, well that would be good for Bitcoin, and that would be good for their shareholders. And if Apple did it a lot, they might add a trillion dollar to their market cap, but it would be a trillion on top of three trillion, So at the end of the day, Apple would be an enterprise twenty five percent bitcoin, seventy five percent Apple micro strategy is an enterprise one hundred and fifty percent Bitcoin. So how do you create a company which is one hundred and fifty percent bitcoin that can sell billions of dollars of fixed income instruments or billions of equity into the market with a permanent capital base that's going to oscillate, It's going to vibrate with the frequency of bitcoin, right that that is I'd love to say we had the idea four years ago and that's what we were trying to do. No, we just kind of stumbled onto just a really great business.
Speaker 1: I do want to get to Apple and how you perhaps plan to convince companies like that to follow your Bitcoin adoption strategy playbook.
Speaker 3: But this whole conversion.
Speaker 1: Financial engineering type strategy is often referred to online as the infinite money glitch. But I wonder if it is infinite or not. And if it's not, do you perhaps see it running into more of a supply issue first or a demand issue first, demand being perhaps there might not be potential buyers of all of those other options like bonds or supply that if you create too many shoes and can make too many conversions from your stock, that investors existing investors will be diluted too much that you'd then run into a sort of cap with that.
Speaker 3: Or can this just keep going forever?
Speaker 2: Michael, see the misnomer there is. It's not a money glitch. It is a digital transformation of the capital markets. When you have a system that moves from a higher energy state, a more disordered state, to a lower energy state, lots of energy gets given off. Think of steam becoming water, like, is it a money glitch? It's just steam becoming water and it condenses what heps when water becomes ice, it's not a heat glitch. But heat what you and what happens when you add heat, the ice becomes water, the water becomes steam. So if you look at the capital markets, you've got eight hundred nine hundred trillion dollars of wealth in the capital market, and you've got this wealth, You've got people invested in all these heterogeneous assets. Why to ninety eight percent of the companies in the S and P five hundred not perform? Right? How come one percent of all the returns come from like seven companies. Right, what I talked about with if you study the convertible bond market, someone issues a convertible bond, it takes them five years for the investors to figure out whether it worked, and then when they come up with a new convertible bond. Is a different credit proposition. It's very inefficient, right, if you think about preferred stocks very inefficient, junk bonds very inefficient, private credit very inefficient. You know, fixed income people get very low yields. What if I you know, I'm getting this yield and I'm taking all this credit risk and counterparty risk. So of the nine hundred trillion in capital in the global capital markets, half of it is just long term, well store of value, long term capital. You know, that is pure capital. People with money just want to keep their money rich, just want to stay rich. I give you an organization of billion dollars in the endowment, you just want to not lose the billion dollars. Precisely right, So that four hundred and fifty trillion is invested in buildings that are rusting, it's invested in cars, it's invested in fleets, it's invested in things that suffer from twentieth century risk factors, credit, default, war, tariff, tornado, text tech. You know, like you had a good business at Kodak and your family had all their money in Kodak, and then what happened. Or you owned Xerox and what happened. Then you own the best business in Ukraine, and then as a war that happened. Right, I could give you ten thousand examples of risk factors that destroy wealth. So you've got that four hundred and fifty trillion on one side, and then you've got one trillion digital capital. It's like, well I had a building. I get rid of all the things that make the building a problem, and I make it an invisible, immortal, indestructible, teleportable, digital building. That'd it be cool? Okay? Well that's what bitcoin is. So this thing that people think of as a gwitch, it's not that. It's it's energy flowing from a from a steam state, from highly disordered, inefficient bouncing into each other into a more ordered state. Right, it's moving from a year in Africa, I give you a billion dollars, I say go invest in any real estate in Africa and anything you want, any country, hold it for thirty years. There's not a single thing you know that you would want to invest in. And I say, well, you know, would you rather own a billion dollars of real estate in Africa or a billion dollars of real estate in New York City. Well, you can see you'd rather swap the New York City risk for the for the Nigerian risk. And then I say, well, would you rather own a billion dollars of real estate in New York City or a billion dollars of bitcoin? Or billion dollars in cyber Manhattan. There's no mayor in cyber Manhattan. There's no property tax in cyber Manhattan. There's no storms, there's no weather in cyber Manhattan. Everybody lives forever in cyber Manhattan. You can you know, you can teleport cyber Manhattan sixty times a second. You can program it as an AI. It's like, so what you see is it's not it's not a glitch. It's simply capital flowing from a disordered economy. In Argentina and Nigeria, they have hyperinflation. Okay, So if I happen to be there and I'm selling pesos and buying dollars, and you know, the peso used to be one peso to the dollar, and today it's like fourteen hundred or twelve hundred pasos to the dollar. Was that a glitch? Like was?
Speaker 3: Or was that?
Speaker 2: That's basically the free market. It's it's capital flows to where it's treated the best. And so if I have capital, you know in Argentina, I would put it in the US. And if I have capital and the dollar, let's take the dollar. One hundred years ago in Miami Beach, an acre of land in the waterfront cost ten thousand dollars, today ten million dollars. The dollar lost ninety nine point nine percent of its value against real estate waterfront property in Florida. Okay? Is that a glitch? Right in? The peso lost ninety nine point nine percent of its value against the dollar in twenty years. Is that a glitch? That's really just capital flowing from a weak asset to a middling asset to a stronger asset. And Bitcoin's advance is capital flowing from twentieth century analog assets, financial and physical assets to the twenty first century digital economy. And it's going to go fast. Early on, it went really fast. The first decade has been going fifty percent a year ar for the past four years. But as the one trillion equalizes with the four hundred trillion, and this becomes two hundred. When this becomes four, probably this four hundred and fifty trillion will become seven hundred trillion, But this one trillion will become one hundred trillion, And so as this becomes a fraction of the twentieth century economy. The difference between the cost of capital on the bitcoin universe, which is fifty percent right now, and the cost of capital in the dollar universe, which is about twelve to fourteen percent. Look at basically, that's the return of the S and P. So the S and P sets the cost of capital for traditional conventional assets, and bitcoin is the opposite. And so bitcoin is like three and a half times the S and P. And it's also three and a half times of volatility. Look at dvol Bitcoin volatility fifty five versus the VIX. And so if you look at the two it's not a complicated thing. It's a thermodynamic idea that any physicists will tell you. This is a hot fluid, this is a cold fluid. I pull up the gate and I mix the fluids. And how hot is the bathtub it's somewhere in between, right, the temperature is it's going to be in between scalding hot and freezing cold and in the middle. If there are some ice cubes in this one and I have at least scalding hot water, ear some of the ice cubes are gonna melt, but you're gonna end up with a warm bath. With the exception that there's always going to be you know, if you look out, if you look out ten years instead of fifty versus fifty voll versus fifteen ball, maybe it'll be forty five to forty to thirty eight to thirty six to thirty two to twenty eight. This volatile is coming in. This arr is coming in. Now. This comes up because what happens when when like when Apple and Google and Microsoft and Facebook or whatever, when they buy bitcoin. What happens when you could take the bottom ninety eight percent of the S and P five hundred if they bought bitcoin, their performance would start to approach the big tech and so the performance of the S and P index will move toward bitcoin as they put bitcoin on the balance sheet, Bitcoin performance will move toward the S and P. As we move move from you know, a one hundred to one ratio to a ten to one ratio to a five to one ratio, and these things equalized. But you know, if you understand it is thermodynamics and collapsing into a more efficient energy state. Like, how is it not more efficient to be able to teleport a building sixty times a second between New York and London? Like that's efficient versus your family made an investment in London thirty forty years ago and they changed the law last month, and now you're going to lose all your wealth. That's inefficient, right. So bitcoin is the digital transformation to capital. MicroStrategy is just a business taking advantage of the digital transformation. But if I was talking to Apple, I would say, don't buy back one hundred billion of your stock. Buy one hundred billion of bitcoin. It will go to five hundred billion. You'll have a five hundred million dollar business growing twenty percent a year. You'll make one hundred billion investment games a year. Your investors will look at it and they'll add a trillion or two trillion dollars to your market cap. And now the company will be valued sixty percent based upon the operating business, forty percent based on the balance sheet right, and the risk will shift. Because the risk in a conventional company is the balance sheet's worthless and the company's value based upon the P and L. And so if you make a billion dollars a quarter, I basically value it at twenty.
Speaker 3: P to E.
Speaker 2: So I take the quarterly result, I'm multiply by eighty, and I say, oh, you're worth eighty billion dollars because I took one billion. I'm multiplyed by eighty, and the balance sheet's worthless. But the next quarter, I say, well, my billion went to zero. Well that's eighty times a billion dollar change. You've got a massive whip saw. That's why these companies stocks crash. If the company had forty billion dollars of tangible assets on the balance sheet and it was that puts a floor right on the equity. And really what you want is you want a well balanced company where it's like Harvard University or Yale. They're not valued based upon the earnings of this semester of freshmen entering Harvard. They're valued because they have eighteen billion in the endowment. You know, and if they close, the university is still rich. They have eighteen billion in the endowment. So micro strategies just pioneering. It's kind of common sense. Your family wouldn't give away all your money and just say we're going to work harder, And a university wouldn't give away all its money and say we're going to raise tuition, cram the classes, cut the teacher's salary, and work harder. But conventional wisdom and finance is your company ought to diving it out its capital, It ought to buy back its stock. It shouldn't actually hold any capital in the balance sheet, and it should just raise its prices and tell its employees to work harder and cut its cost. And that, in a nutshell, is why ninety nine percent of the companies in the world underperform the Magnificent seven and why they all could benefit by just adopting bitcoin. Is there a Treasury reserve standard?
Speaker 1: That was an interesting point you made about analyzing and coming to the valuation in terms of analyzing the performance of a company. Right, investors historically, as you mentioned, just look at a price to earnings forward looking ratio or look at the profit and loss. How should investors analyze micro strategy Because if you mentioned that, to give you a metaphor, micro strategy is the tap to that capital flow. As you mentioned, there's nothing else like that, like are you a bitcoin bank? Do we value you similar to do we analyze you similar to a bank or do I've seen a simplification perhaps as analyzing micro strategy like a ret like a real estate investment trust, But that feels too simple. I mean, is there anything we can compare it to micro?
Speaker 2: I think I think you got to look at the balance sheet and say, okay, that's one component. They've got this much bitcoin, and then you got to look at the P and L and say, well, how much investment income can they generate? So if the company gets to fifty billion dollars a bitcoin, and if bitcoin goes up twenty percent a year, the company generates ten billion dollars a year of investment income and that compounds twenty percent a year. So if I said to you, hey, here's a big tech company that makes ten billion a year and they're growing that twenty percent a year, how would you value that?
Speaker 1: I mean, through the roughot it there you go.
Speaker 2: So it's not very complicated. The thing that's helped people back is we've used in definite and tangible accounting for the last four years, and it's not until twenty twenty five that you actually start to do fair value accounting. And when you start to do fair value accounting, you can actually see investment income and you can see the income potential. And so it's not complicated to figure out what the balance sheet is. Everybody knows, you know, two hundred and fifty two thousand bitcoin. The complicated thing is to grasp the idea of a company that's securitized that issues securities back by bitcoin, and the real franchise the micro strategy has is we're the leading issuer of bitcoin back securities. So the question is how much capital can we raise, how much permanent capital we have? And the second question is how much leverage will we use and how intelligent will it be? And the third question is what's your forecast for bitcoin? Right? I mean? And so there's three variables there. If we barrow ten billion dollars at seven percent, and we invest in bitcoin and bitcoin returns twenty one percent, then we scrap fourteen percent arbitrage on ten billion, We make one point four billion a year in the swap, We roll that into the business, and then ten years out you've got fifty billion dollar business fifty billion in capital, and you're generating ten billion dollars your investment income just off of that one piece. Right, But it all comes down to, you know, what's the nature of the capital, how much can we get and raise and then how will we invest it and will be responsible? You know? And you know the haters, right, the haters think, well, Bitcoin's just going to go up zero percent a year, right, So of course from their point of view, the balance sheet's going nowhere. And if bitcoin goes zero percent a year, you can't raise any capital, right, So if that's your forecast, you're not that interested. You know. My view is Bitcoin's going to appreciate twenty nine percent a year arr for the next twenty one years, right, that's what it takes it too.
Speaker 3: Well, was the dollar cigirl on that.
Speaker 2: Thirteen million pi bitcoin? Yeah? Okay, And so what do you think my shareholders think? Well, my shareholders are pretty bullish on bitcoin, right. There's no one buying Micro's strategy that hates bitcoin. No, they're shooting in Yeah. So at the end of the day, I mean, the methodology would be figure out what's your forecast for bitcoin? By the way, you can go to Google type Bitcoin twenty four and you'll find the Bitcoin twenty four open source model. It's a twenty one year model. You can download it. It's a spreadsheet you can put in your forecast for innovation rate, inflation rates, all the asset class, monetizations, demonetizations, bitcoin assumptions, supply. Well, yeah, you can put that all in and you can run your model and you can get your own answer. Right, So do that, and then you just got to consider, well, how much capital do you think the micro strategy will raise via securities offerings? And after you do that, you decide are we responsible custodians? And then you create a five or ten year model for our investment income and you figure out how much income can we generate and how fast can we grow? And of course all those things are very integrated. And you know, if the more you know about the capital markets, the more enthusiastic you get, because we look and we say the convertible markets are in a efficient, the preferred stock markets inefficient, the high yield markets inefficient, the corporate debt markets inefficient. You know, the real estate market is and efficient. So you know, we our view is we kind of want to be the Amazon of fixed income. We want to we want to build a better product direct to a new distribution channel. And uh, you know, I don't blame people for not necessarily understanding that, because sometimes you have to see it. And in the in the absence of you know, fair value accounting and the like and three or forecasts and those you know don't exist. It's it's a lot for people to grasp right now.
Speaker 1: Well, you've even had to come up at micro strategy with your own measurement to measure the success of the strategy. You already mentioned it earlier on in this chat. The BTC yield Currently you're to date, that's around twelve point two percent that yield.
Speaker 3: But over the next three.
Speaker 1: Years, according to your most recent quarterly report, you're targeting something betwe I think four to eight percent. Does that correct that? So that then implies a diminish, a diminishing in that yield. So once it decreases or compresses that yield, what happens then? Do you need to come up with another means to well in the capital.
Speaker 2: Let's just focus on BTCo for a second. What is it? It's the rate of increase in bitcoin per share. So if I think we're getting close to almost an eighteen percent, like seventeen percent BTC yield for the year so far, And that means that between January first and today you've you've gotten more than seventeen percent more BTC per share. If I if I gave you a company and I said it's going to dive in and yield to seventeen percent, and I give you another company, say it's got to be a dividend yield of zero, you know, it's like, well, you would value the second one based upon the underlying asset, but you're not going to any more. But the first one you would actually take the underlying asset it and then you would take the yield. And then the question is how long will they generate that yield? Right, And what's the average yield over the lifetime of my holding period. So in that case, I mean you could say, if I expect four to eight percent yield, you could put a ten, twenty, or thirty pde on that. Sometimes people will know it's basically your earnings per share in a way, but you know, we can't really call it that because it's it's a non gap measure, and it's a it's a bitcoin per share type measure for that's valuable to people that love bitcoin. But when you think about it that way, right, this simple model there is the company should have a premium equal to the multiple of the yield. Right. If you think the multiple should be twenty, and if you think the yield will be eight percent, then you could say the companies are traded one hundred and sixty percent premium to the underlying asset. Right, So so the ability to generate that yield will justify that premium. And it's a simple model, but it's not the whole model. The real issue is how you generate the yield, and the way you're generating the yield is through issuing securities to the public market. You know that come to generate that yield. And one way to do it is by issuing equity at a premium. That's a simple way, the most simple way imaginable. Right. Another way to do it is to issue convertible bonds at a premium to the equity, which may or may not be at a premium to the asset. That's a slightly less simple but still kind of straightforward way to do it. A third way to do it is I just issue a fixed income instrument that pays seven percent, and I buy bitcoin with it that yields more than seven percent, which is what you're done right Well, well, technically that's not exactly what I'm doing right now. What we're doing right now is you've issued equity at a premium, and we've issued convertible bonds at a premium. You know, if the company and the future were to issue preferred stock that had to fix thing, or issue bonds corporate debt or or something that had a fixed coupon, then you would be swapping the fixed for the you know, for the bitcoin return. And of course in that case, look, if you're if your forecast or bitcoin is to go up seven percent a year and your and the company's paying seven percent for their capital, there's no yield, you see, right. If your forecast is to go up twenty one percent a year and the company pay seven percent, there's a big yield, right, And so so if you use BTC yield, then you just think about what's the company going to do to get to it. And we've just got lots of different tools to get to it. We can there's other things. There's a thousand things you could do, right, I just I'll keep it for the sake of our interview to just those few because they're simple to discuss. And you know our guidance. You know, our target is four to eight percent. We've done more than double eight percent this year.
Speaker 3: So it feels pretty conservative.
Speaker 2: Then I think we try to be conservative in our guidance because we don't want to disappoint our shareholders. But clearly you know we will. We will pursue our objective, you know, as rapidly as we can in a prudent fashion.
Speaker 1: Should we talk about the bitcoin revolution, Yeah.
Speaker 2: You are.
Speaker 1: It's all bitcoin and part two of this interview with Michael Sailer, he explains what could be Bitcoin's next big moment.
Speaker 2: Banking is just the next logical step and is.
Speaker 1: That not exactly what bitcoin is? Don't want to happen.
Speaker 2: Right, Like, at the end of the day, you have an og crypto community is very hardcore about it. But if you look at where all the money is, ninety nine point nine percent of the money is actually in the traditional economy and in the war for the future of money. The war's going to be won with money.