Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks AB.
Speaker 2: Right now, it is time for the panel. By the way, actually I'm in actually quite a good mood today and I just sort of thought i'd share it, but that sometimes parental vicarious pleasure is quite quite a good mood lift because my daughter had a hockey game and I'm bit worried it became that noisy parent on the sideline because she scored four goals, so more than a hat trick, and I was getting very much who yah. But anyway, it was It's a great way to start a Saturday, is all I can say. Anyway. And by the way, we'll be keeping up to date with actually not keeping up to date with any of olymp it's what am I saying. That's going to be something we're going to cover in the panel. In just a moment, which is actually not just in just a moment. It's right now time to introduce my panelists. My first panelist, what can I say about her? She is and I read this, she is so in love right now. She is absolutely smitten. She's smitten with some guy called Ben, and apparently she definitely sees marriage and children on the cards. I also think she's a journalist. At times, she's been a newsreader, and she's got her own media company, Wills and Co. But please welcome the very much in Love Wilhelmina Kate Trimpton.
Speaker 3: I picked the wrong day to come in the day that it gets uploaded to the Herald website. Oh God, hello, thanks for having me very much in love, very happy to be here.
Speaker 2: It was a lovely story though, And did you you're the photo of you in front of the taj Mahalan. You've been to Paris and everything, and just just the story about love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it has been a bit of a will wind, a lovely will wind.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the reason I sort of mentioned it is well, it was I was slightly being mischievous in the way of introducing But it's nice to celebrate these moments, isn't that? It was just nice to read you know that you're you're rocking and rolling, Wills.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 3: And look, it's been a long and winding, crazy, wild journey to get there, and it's just yeah, it's just nice to just be happy. I think it sounds pretty simple of it.
Speaker 2: You're really darling day article.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to fak news. No, it's not news. It's all true. It's all true. I mean every word.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I don't know how to follow that. My next guest is she's a long time television producer. I mean, we use the word long time advisedly because it's not necessarily that long a time. I just put it in italics. And she's she's executive producer. She's done heaps in media. Actually, she was a I think a content producer for New Zealand on air for a Golden Area. That's right on screen, that's right. And she's recently the survivor of a nasty dog attack at a friend's dinner. And it's Irene Gardner. Irene, how are you?
Speaker 4: I'm fine, but yeah, you don't really expect to go around your friend's place and get put top.
Speaker 2: Where did you get but I mean my lower leg? Oh really? What did you do? Why had you irritated the dog so much?
Speaker 4: Then? I know the dogs just quite unsettled, I think by myself and my friend being round at our friend's place and I got up from the table just to go to the kitchen to get something, and he kind of rushed me and nipped my leg.
Speaker 3: Really I was, you know, kind of.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm a farm kid, so I'm kind of hosted being you.
Speaker 3: Know, nipped by dogs.
Speaker 4: But it was a bit kind of and yeah, I've actually ended up with quite a massive bruise.
Speaker 2: Really, what sort of dog was a little.
Speaker 4: Bit of broken skin?
Speaker 3: It was a poodle, which is unexpected pod a Biggish poodle.
Speaker 2: A Biggish poodle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a Gnali poodle.
Speaker 4: Going to name the poodle?
Speaker 2: No name, Shane. Nice to have you both in the studio. Now, look, I have been I love the Olympics, and there have been some wonderful, wonderful moments already. Wills, what are you? What do you?
Speaker 3: Will's great? Wells, we're mates now we've crossed the threshole. We have friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, but yeah, are you loving the Olympics.
Speaker 3: I'm loving it. It's so great. And then also all the random sports that you probably have never really watched before and spent much time actually, you know, learning about and looking at and it's just great. And I'm a big fan of the gymnastics. And the one thing that I also love as well is how it seems like the entire population has decided there's suddenly you know, experts in half of these sports, and there's these great memes that are all going around. You know, You're lying on your couch with the feet up in the air and potato chip dust on your chest, and you're like, oh god, that dismount. She really didn't nail it, did she, you know, and how we analyight? You know, I just think it's great. I mean, I like to think of myself as a bit of an experts station. Not really, I just sit there with covered in chip dust, you know, sharing my opinion about you know, someone. Biles's dismount actually always on point.
Speaker 2: By the way, Actually I was watching some highlights the other night and it was the horizontal bars. In fact, I think it was her teammates Suriye who was who came third, Who's got an amazing story because but it was just the grace and the athleticism on the bars. It just sort of just sort of blows me away. Have you been watching much in the way of the Olympics, Irene or I haven't.
Speaker 3: Watched a lot.
Speaker 4: I'm not a huge sport person, but you know, I get sort of caught up in the stories and things. And yes, Simon's coming back so strong. After you know, last time. And I also watched the gymnastics and I just I just kid myself. I just watched them, going, yeah, do that.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think we all have that moment of which do we imagine what event you would actually do if you could be an.
Speaker 3: Olympic trible round off break backs?
Speaker 4: Does it?
Speaker 3: Trible round off backhands? Bring no sweat?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I did really like.
Speaker 4: You know, I like all little human interesting things. And I did kind of like the bit where you know, when Hayden Wild didn't win the trifling but his friend and training partner, yeah, and it was just all sort of lovely, and you know, I like that kind.
Speaker 2: Of I actually thought that was one of the most inspiring moments of the Games because I'm not hung up on our personal on our country medal tally. I'm curious about it, but I'm not hung on up on it because for me, the Olympics about those transcendent moments, which sometimes the tree and send it moment is an amazing performance that leads to gold. But for for Hayden Whild to have embraced his friend who he thought, you know, you won that, well, great race, well we both did it sort of thing, and then later on to pay homage to his teammate who, through the bike ride had dropped back so he could draft. I think that's the expression Hayden. So he got in a position where he could have won gold. I just thought, what an absolute legend, Hal Hayden wild is. What are the sportsmanship? And those are the moments that to me get me a bit misty.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent forever, It'll be imprinted in my mind, that beautiful still shot, even the video of him putting his hand around alex Ee after the n because so many athletes would actually be a bit salty right like he was. He was leading that last leg of the running race by fifteen seconds. We kind of.
Speaker 2: Thought, well, I was nervous when the commentator said, I he's got gold in the bag. Basically, I was like, I know, those two guys are running quite quick, and.
Speaker 3: Look, I kind of had a vibe that Alexey was just gonna hoon on past it. I just kind of you it might happen, but so many, so many athletics would be pretty salty, or they just run away and kind of get a bit, you know, dark and store me off cameras. But it was just great sitting down next to him going, look mate, you did a really great job and he's still won silver. He's still he's still won, he's still placed. It was It was epic.
Speaker 2: And the other story the the our gold medal double skulls women. Yeah, absolutely, and who only eighteen months ago became mums and eighteen months later to compete in an Olympic Games and win gold. Ah wow, what a what a hell of a story you followed that.
Speaker 4: One, guys, they were amazing and actually and the women's rugby obviously, Oh yeah, yeah, they will get excited about the women's rugby.
Speaker 3: It was so great. No, the mother's as well, and initially and it wasn't until I came in and had to chat to you before the show, Tam, and I was like, oh, you know, I always hate it when people kind of put labels on particular you know, business woman whatever, sports people whatever, calling the mothers, because I kind of feel like that shouldn't define them. But that's actually a narrative that they come up with on their own, and that was something that they wanted to trumpet, which I think is incredible that it's come from them.
Speaker 2: And I think also you could tell through the way that they spoke about the challenges that they'd had, you know, becoming new mums and then training and the support they had from their families. By the way, I didn't name them Lucy Spores and Brook Francis. It is it is quite an incredible story to have managed to achieve that. So, you know, so shortly after I guess, you know, I'm a guy. I haven't given birth, so I can't really comment on these things.
Speaker 3: But I haven't had kids either, but I've got friends to say it's it's a lot.
Speaker 2: It's a lot on the cards. Thank you to bringing it up the other actually, but actually I yeah, I think we've got Emma Twig and Tom McIntosh tonight maybe. But the other story is in the Olympics is while it's it's going to be a reach Foroe Hobbs to make the final, sorry not make the final, but to get a medal, the fact that we've got a New Zealand woman as a sprinter in the one hundred meters again, what an amazing achievement for a New Zealand athlete. So there's just so many Are you going to be peeled? Do you get up in the middle of the not you also to watch the.
Speaker 3: I'm a bit of a night I'm a bit of a night owl, so I'll stay up as late as possible, kind of in midnight one o'clock, kind of get in as much as they can, and then I'll wake with the morning and check my phone and watch the high lights. And I can't push myself past probably one as much as I'd like to. But yeah, so great. I love watching the athletics too. The decathlon I think was on last night. That was great, greatest line events.
Speaker 2: I just love the fact that the track is purple as well. I like, you know how French we're going to change the color. We're going to go with a sort of violet purple. Actually, they love the track and field. Oh by the way, Tom Walsh, both our shot putters have got into the into the final, Tom Walsh and god, my brain's gone jacko Gil.
Speaker 4: And did you see the shot of the javelin going right towards the TV camera?
Speaker 3: Oh? I miss that one dramatic effect. Fantastic shot.
Speaker 2: Well, the other thing is the technology we've got with the high definition cameras and everything, and I think that's actually why we feel we can become experts because the.
Speaker 3: Different angles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there was a moment where Simon Simone biles on Simone, I never know. She bent her knees when she went under the low horizontal bar, which I didn't initially notice. And I looked and I went, oh, that's right. She shouldn't have done that. Nice thing.
Speaker 3: Come it in potato chip. Does please tell me you recovered in potato chip? Does please don't leave me hanging here? I can't be the only one.
Speaker 2: And actually, you know what, people, if you are listening and you want to catch up with the action our commentary team and our team of journalists from Newstalks, he'd be doing an absolutely magnificent job on the commentary. So just a little bit of a tip of a captain of colleagues that that are doing that job right through the wee small hours. Right anyway, let's move away from Paris. That sounds like a bit of a downer. Doesn't that move you away from Paris as well? By just a quick note, I was really pleased they finally managed to swim in the seane. I mean, who knows whether Hayden had to spend the next day on the toilet or not, but you know.
Speaker 3: They might sprout a new limb or something as a result of it, but you know, yeah, I mean great, But the fact that I remember watching a report it was something about how they had to take tablets to stop them from getting sick, and then they've got eye drops so their eyes don't get infected, and I don't know, yeah, I don't think you'd want to put your head under Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: Right, let's move on to let's move on to politics now. The government announces news legislation allowing roadside drug testing. Actually I'm not sure if this is particularly contentious, but I don't think it's the sort of thing where you just breathe into the chube for ten seconds, so they're not going to be exactly pulling over everyone and doing it. But what do you think of the whole roadside drug testing thing? Will Aman it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Look, I think it's a sensible initiative. I think that there there's obviously, you know, drink driving problems with there's drug driving problems too, And I think that there's definitely a movement in a younger generation away from using alcohol and instead it's kind of a sober curious movement in terms of alcohol. But people are dabbling more in party drugs and thinking that it's okay because they haven't had five or six wines that they can actually you know, jump behind the wheel when they can't. I'd raise questions about the accuracy of it all, like how it's all going to work, what kind of you know, resource of technology're going to use. I think it's a saliva test, so you want to make sure that it's completely accurate. I also found it really interesting the penalties for it. I think I was reading the article. It was just saying an infringement notice and demerit points, which to me seems like it's not a very penalty. No, not at all, whereas with alcohol, right you can you get arrested, or you get your license taken off you, you can appear before the courts. Yeah, I'm concerned. It doesn't really seem like, yeah, much of it deterrent for something it would.
Speaker 4: Be big really same thoughts as well's.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a short par wouldn't be like do you think? I?
Speaker 4: I think? I think the reason it has taken so long is because it's very difficult to work out how to do it. Because of course, I mean, it's always been kind of weird that you know, obviously you're not supposed to drink and drive, but you know you could be completely trolley on drugs and you can go on drugs but mad. But I think it has been that it's been incredibly difficult to work out how to do it. So presumably they feel like they've got closer to working out.
Speaker 2: Well, science always gets us closer. That was a time probably with alcohol, where you had to get out and a straight line, in a straight line and sort of touch you.
Speaker 3: Recite the alphabet backwards.
Speaker 2: I did, why you I could probably do it gradual rest anyway. Yeah, So good luck to them on that one anyway. But you know what my thing is when it comes to Law and Homan in safety behind the wheel, I don't know why they don't make it a fifteen hundred dollars fine to use your bloody phone. There we go at the moment, isn't that something pathetic? And look that is a massive cause of well you can just tell at the traffic lights everybody, No, somebody doesn't pull away and you go too, and you can put you here on their phone and you look down. Somebody walks out in front of your box, it's a major cause of problems on the RWN.
Speaker 4: Texting one especially. I can understand that you could conceivably talk, but the texting like don't you have to look text? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Now there's another one, which is Look, I almost wonder if it depends on which side of the political divide you are so the youth offender. I'm not sure if the word boot camps is helpful because I think the game that gets played as people if you can brand something as boot camps because you've got the name boot camps, it can't work. But ten youth offenders began military style boot camp. If I can use that word on Monday, which officials are having to, will integrate them back into society successfully. Anyway, Look, I'm all for the for them giving it a go, and what do you think willhelmina?
Speaker 3: Look, I don't know. I think it's it's great that something is there's an attempt to do something to address the problem, but I just don't think internationally it's shown that it works. I think if you put them giving people or kids schedules is obviously great, but what happens after the fact, I feel like more iff it should actually be being put into preventing them from getting into crime in the first place, rather than putting them into a boot camp where they're going to come out the other side and be integrated back into the community and probably have not have the support systems that they actually need to stop them in the first place. I just I can't see it working. And I think Karen Shaw was saying, look that the way that we'll measure its success is harm reduction in the community. Well, what does that mean? Where are the metrics that actually represent what kind of impact that it's going to have? You know, I remember when I used to write scripts when I was a reporter back at news Hub. My producers used to say, never finish your script with the line only time will tell. Well, I kind of feel like the same thing applies here. Only time will tell. It's just so broad it can't be measured. I just think there are better ways to go about it.
Speaker 2: I think the only thing is I think that people say you find a version of the boot camps where it's just you shove them and you basically give them discipline and then throw them back into society. It's like saying, if you've only driven a larder, you shouldn't dam all cars for all time. And I think that the government it's not like we're throwing hundreds of kids into this. It's ten people who are going to get and I guess discipline. But there are a whole lot of wrap around services, and I hope that there is a way of doing this stuff where you can take them out of their environment and introduce them to discipline and a bit of routine and things like that, where the other services that go with it. I mean, I just think it's a bit crude for politicians to go, oh, it's a boot camp and it's out as opposed to well, surely there are different ways of Maybe that expression is not not even the right one to apply, if you know what I mean, what do you think I ring?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean historically the really pure military style ones, yes, haven't worked, and there is you know, there's strong evidence of that, both in New Zealand and globally. And of course you know this has to ended up timing with the release of their Abuse and Care report, which you know, which actually has highlighted some of the terrors of those things. I think because this has been so criticized, I think quite a lot of care is now going into how they actually do do this one with these ten people, and I think it is going to be broader and a bit more tailored to these particular young folk and you know, really trying to help them. And there certainly are things you could do where there's a bit of you know, I wouldn't say military component, but maybe like an exercise component, and there's a cultural and educational and you know, maybe there's even some art and music, and I mean there's differently things you could do that would be I think more helpful than a pure military style thing. And I think they are going to throw throw everything at this try and make it work. But that then begs the question of if they throw that much money at it, could you just actually have helped those ten people by spending money on getting them better lives, better housing, better whatever.
Speaker 2: Well, there are more than ten people and bookers. If you are trying to do that, that's a massive thing. These are the ten offenders who've been through probably quite a lot of the justice system already. I would say, to get to this program, you are really dying work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's a small proportion of those young offenders. I just think that resource could be better spent stopping them from getting them in the first place. And a lot of it comes from that trauma of a childhood where they're moving from home to home that I don't really have any routes, they try and find some sense of comfort and you know, aligning with the gangs and committing crime. I just feel like that time and resource and that level of care that we've just highlighted could be given before they get into the situation.
Speaker 2: So every day is going to start with a wake up call six thirty, physical drills, education, employment pathway training, mentoring, fucker puppa and cultural connection and lights out at nine point thirty. But that'll be a new one.
Speaker 3: But wasn't it It was I think what the actual program itself was it six weeks or three months, and then they were going to get support for nine months in total. But what happens after that nine months if they don't have family, Well, it's not really going to make a difference, is it. They're just going to go back to what's familiar.
Speaker 2: But then that's an argument for not I mean, that's an argument that says there's no hype hever for these kids.
Speaker 3: I guess, well, I definitely think there's hope. I just think that it needs to be before they get themselves into the situation, that the help needs to happen before they lose their way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, indeed. Okay, well we'll wait and see, by the way on that. In fact, we might take a break. Actually we do need to take a moment. We'll come back and we have a chat quick chet about just the toxicity of Parliament or yes, and Karen Turre, who's a pretty tough nutter is and it ended up in tears and stormy out of an interview. But so Parliament's not a happy place these days, it doesn't seem. We'll come back and have a little bit of a chat around that. Gosh, I'd rather talk about the Olympics, which is a happy place. But we'll try, you know, we'll just visit with the odd little moment of joy. Hopefully we can talk about Will's being in love, that we need something, we need to gas twenty seven and a half past three, Baby, don't you when you're playing them he's drinking. No, you're thinking about me when you're riding where he's damming. Now you miss a mystery. Damn the time he goes around me. See when you're playing them more, he's drinking. Now you're thinking bound me coming along? Where's that sucking your dad slacking nose? Host? Welcome back to the Weekend Collective. This is the panel. I'mton Beverage. My guess, uh, the lovely Wilhelmina Shrimpton and the lovely Irene Gardener and the erudite and wonderful guest. Two guests we have here. I don't know I was making out off as it went along there actually, but you know it's you know, it was all positive stuff. I think. So we think we're quite safe.
Speaker 3: Hey, yeah, lovely and lovely.
Speaker 2: I know I was going to go with a different objectively than I thought. I needed to treat you equally.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: Hey, it has been a bit of it. It's been a pretty tough week for Karen saw in Parliament, and I just do worry that without honing on specific issues, but the bullying, the nature of attacking the playing the person and not the issue. She's been accused of not being Mari enough and being a puppet of the ACT Party and all this sort of stuff. I don't know. I just think that the political discourse is getting a little bit more less respectful and a little bit nastier. And I'm not sure they're setting a very good example for the way we should all treat each other.
Speaker 3: Wilhelmina, oh full name, very serious instead of wells. I thought we're friends, Timothy.
Speaker 2: It makes me sound like i'd be very naughty.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's definitely a past and that it appears that Parliament is a pretty toxic place and can be a toxic place. And I think that bullying seems to be an issue, but I think that billying seems to be an issue in a lot of workplaces. It's just obviously this one's very much under the public spotlight, under the microscope that everyone can kind of see and is in the media. It's tricky because you don't ever want anyone to feel like they can't speak out and that they're silenced. But I don't know, and it just goes to show how much pressure she was under or is currently under. But I just don't know if airing those situations in the public arena is actually a good space because it detracts away from the issues at hand. However, if she felt so stressed that she couldn't actually raise the A. Sure she has raise the issue, nothing's been done. Well, then people feel like they don't really have another option.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God, who got into politics are?
Speaker 4: I do not know, not me, that's sure. It is an absolute bear pit and it always has been. Maybe they've tried to get it a little better, and maybe we noticemare I mean to be that it was just expected that if you you know that you'd just be resilient and you would just roll with it. I mean, that doesn't really wash. If it ever did, it certainly doesn't now. The one of the things I picked up in this, and I have noticed this before, I do feel for people of Mardi heritage who are on the right of politics. They do seem to get a really hard time in a way that I think is actually quite racist. There's a sort of lis you know, you're.
Speaker 3: Not Maldy enough.
Speaker 2: I find it absolutely because you.
Speaker 4: Look at issues in a different way. And I mean I don't even necessarily agree with the way that they look at the issue, but I'm not going to say, you know, you're not Maldy enough. That's a horrible thing to say.
Speaker 3: I think that's quite well.
Speaker 2: It's almost like, how long is it since Martin Luther King made that statement for a time when we judge people by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. Hello New Zealand parliamentarians.
Speaker 3: I feel like a mixed heritage should actually be a superpower, right like you you can no, but no, but in a way that you can appeal and you can relate to people from different facets of society, and you know, you've got a connection to know the right, and you've got a connection to the Malder community, and you can kind of use your shared connections to actually build a bridge between the two different communities. I just don't really see why people are. You know, it's a problem if you're not one hundred percent one or one hundred percent the other. I think it's actually really really sad somehow.
Speaker 2: I can't I can't. Don't think it would come across well if I celebrated just my magnificence because I'm a combination of Scottish and Viking. Yeah, maybe not quite the same thing anyway. Hey, international politics, now, I don't know how much it resonates in New Zealand, but this prisoner swap between Russia and the West. The more I read about this the more you see how much work went into it. I think there were sixteen prisoners from return from Russia and return from eight who went the other way. But the efforts diplomacy and getting people home, including the recently convicted Gershwitz guy from the Washington Post, that is actually quite an It almost seems like old school sort of East West cole Woard diplomacy victories. But Irena, it's actually quite a remarkable feat and for the Biden administration as well.
Speaker 3: It's incredible.
Speaker 4: And funnily enough, the last time I was on, I was talking about Joe Biden because he'd just done the terrible debate performance. But I was saying that thing of yeah, he's getting older. He's not a great speaker anymore, if he ever was, because he's always had to control the stutter. But he has been an incredibly good president in the sense of getting things done and just sort of quiet diplomacy behind the scenes, and you know, working with a lot of different people. He's been incredible. He's actually been you know, I think history will judge him very well as a president who was able to make a lot of things happen. And this is incredible. This is actually an amazing achievement for him and a whole lot of other people. But I just think it is a good example of why he has been such a great president, even though the decision has now been made for him to step aside, you know, in terms of the next term, it's you know, it's quite good having him still in there, or things like this, And there was that also, you know, we're talking about magical moments before. There was a lovely moment we pulled off his president flag pin and Pinda on one of the guys, which.
Speaker 2: Well, again see that that first part of the Martin Luther King quote. People like to have a crack at button because of his age and things. But the content of his character as a president, I think is going to be a good legacy is going to leave, isn't it. Willelmina Wells, Wells, Wells, Wells, Wells, Wells. It's because it's a serious topic.
Speaker 3: I need to add them those extra syllables, gravitas. You know, I get it, I get it, I get it one hundred percent. I think, if you know, it's it's obviously his his his time and this role has come to a sudden end and a very very you know, dramatic end, I guess one would say, but he has left lasting impression here in a lasting memory and a lasting legacy. I think it's a great show of diplomacy between what would be you know, two parts of society or you know, particular nations that don't exactly see eye to eye. And I feel like, you know, if this was one thing that he could do before he actually exited, it's a great thing. I don't know what it will actually if it will mean anything for relations ongoing with Russia. I kind of feel like this is a thing in itself. This is quite separate to the to the Ukraine Russia conflict, but good on him for doing something that has obviously made a massive difference.
Speaker 2: Also incredibly complex, and it goes back to the times when alex da Valne was going to be included in the prisoner swap and it's gone on for that long. Of course, he's since been bumped off.
Speaker 4: His wife has been quite involved in, you know, behind the scenes. And there was an interesting interaction with the journalist where they said to Biden, or but what about so and so that you know the teacher, you know, there's still nothing there and and Biden yes, yes, we're working on that. We're working on that and well what are you doing? Yeah, like I'm going to tell you that and.
Speaker 2: Ruin that.
Speaker 3: Humorous sometimes it's good, which is good. We love too.
Speaker 2: Right, We're going to be back in just a moment where with my panelist Wilhelmina Shrimpton and Irene Gardner. I'm Tim Beverage is coming up to twenty to four news talk zib Welcome back to the Weekend Collective, Umpton Beverage. My guests, so Wilhelmina Shrimpson otherwise known as Will's and Irene Gardner. And now that song. Just for a fun fact for you, I've We've made Wilhelmina very happy because this is your of course, has I introduced you. There's been a Women's Day article talking about you and Ben in the rugby reef and and your plans for the future, and this is your songs.
Speaker 3: And funnily enough, the last time I did a talkback chef, this played out of the break and I think I gave him a little shout out. I was like, oh, my partner, I love the song. We're just disgustingly cheesy, aren't.
Speaker 4: We, Because the version of this song I know is the much, much, much older one with Susi Quatro and her partner of the time from Smoky what's his name, Norman la Ones like dance I know this from like the seventies.
Speaker 2: Wow, I just assumed they were one and the same. But it's okay, you know it's got that's right, it's got a slightly more modern beat anyway, speaking of modern entertainment, I don't know if it's a poor link. I think this is a fascinating story. The whole ethics and the unwritten rules that society has rules and we have norms, and it's like a norm that you can sort of smuggle food into a movie theater. You're not supposed to. It's against the rules, but the rulers don't get caught. So there are a couple of there are a couple of women who've been banned from a movie theater after they brought in their own food. They've been trespassed from a movie theatre and pooka koe for bringing in their own food.
Speaker 3: But I said the movie title was despicable me.
Speaker 2: As well, exactly. But here's the here's the thing I think that tells a or leaves room for a bit of imagination. They claimed they didn't see any signs of preventing food, and the police were called after the exchange became heated. So I'm putting it on them because you know what, if you have brought food into a theater and one of the ashes or movie manager, cinema manager comes up and says, I'm sorry, you're not allowed to bring food into the theater unless you've pitched it on the premises, can you please take it out? I would say, oh, sorry, and I'd either quickly shove the whole pine in my mouth and go gone, come on, I'd exit. Iren. Have you ever smuggled food into a cinema?
Speaker 4: No, I know I have, but in my case it would be like a tiny, you know, snack bar of my choosing that, you.
Speaker 2: Know, And you know, I thought you were going to say a cammbera and a fine rose.
Speaker 4: Apple or something, and you know, you'd just be a bit subtle about it. But I understand why it's a rule, and actually, quite frankly, in these days where it's incredibly difficult to get people to go to the cinema, you know, good luck to them for making some money on the candy bar. I reckon. There's a whole lot more to this story than you know. This is one of those there's ten sides to every story. For this to have escalated the way it did, either the people or the staff behaved very rudely and badly, or they both did.
Speaker 3: There's a key question here that hasn't been answered. Guys, what was the food in question?
Speaker 4: It was it was movie type food. It was popcorn. Oh okay, so a lot of chips and stuff that they could have bordered the camp.
Speaker 3: There's a spectrum of snacks, right, so you know you've got the movie type food, right. You go to the countdown, you discount every day rewards whatever. Malteseers or there's people who bring in like a whole pack lunch, like a sandwiche or a you know, a Burger King meal or something which is probably not okay, smuggling in a bag of M and ms. I think they had quite a lot, right, Okay, So.
Speaker 2: Maybe they've taken their children, both five to see to Spica a woman, and.
Speaker 4: They had quite a lot of stuff.
Speaker 3: I had once taking a Burger King combo, chips and lollies they were to rush to.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. They were chips. They want to rush to get their tickets. But you see, they wouldn't have been in a rush if they hadn't had to go somewhere else to get their food beforehand.
Speaker 3: They're in the New World. They're in the line at the New World on the countdown. I think, yeah, are.
Speaker 2: You actually I think you were slightly beheadedness going on around it all?
Speaker 3: Both potentially, what about with the constant living crisis, right, movie tickets are twenty bucks each? What about a Bayo charge? You know you pay five dollars or eight dollars for corkage at a at a you know, Thai restaurant. What about a Bayo movie charge? You know Byo snacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds complicated, doesn't because it's of course you're going to avoid that charge to be like, oh I don't want to pay the Byo charge. Just don't show it, just keep it.
Speaker 3: But it does rely on people's honestly, you I mean you would sort of think the staff member might have said, hey, you're not really allowed to do that, don't do it again. Actually, but it's okay for this.
Speaker 2: And the other thing is my I actually haven't been to the cinema for so long I couldn't even tell you when the last time was, but I do remember the last time going. You get your tickets and then you get your snacks, and you go, how much was it for a glass of wine and a thing of popcorn? How much that's more than the Oh my goodness, maybe we should have brought our own.
Speaker 4: But that's what's keeping the cinema alive. So hard now for them, so you know, you can't begrudge that, I think.
Speaker 3: And actually, my local movie theater, which I think might actually tie into what we're going to talk about next. My local movie theater does Uber eats with why know? But Ober eats with the popcorn and the Maltesers and everything. Because I love movie popcorn. There's nothing more satisfying to me than sitting down with one of those giant tubes and the salty buttery of deliciousness yum is like my I think I like it more than the actual movie, to be honest. Is going there for the popcorn. And the other day I ordered it was buy one, get one free. By the way, Yeah, what the biggest popcorn container you could possibly buy? Buy and get one free? So I bought two of those and a pack of Maltesers and had a little movie night. It was great.
Speaker 2: Lovely can be on the couch. Actually, sorry, what I don't actually how long? How long since you guys went to the cinema last weekend? Okay, of course you're in date dating mode. Of course, what about you?
Speaker 4: I'm not going to answer, honestly, because as the president of the Screen Producers Guild, I should be going to the cinema all the time. So I'm not going to answer because actually.
Speaker 2: Might incriminate you.
Speaker 3: It's a little wow.
Speaker 2: If you were going to go to a movie, is any thing I couldn't tell you a single movie that wasn't book?
Speaker 4: That was because it's a fabulous local one book one.
Speaker 2: Okay, there we go. There's a recommendation from our own. There's one for you and been to go and watch last weekend?
Speaker 3: What do we see? Dead Pool and Wolverine?
Speaker 2: Oh it was out the gate a romantic movie. Yeah, lovely, Okay, you can't take a moment. I'm just going to recover. I have a cup of tea and a lie down and we'll be back in just to tick. It's eleven minutes to four. News talks' b Yes, welcome back to the Weekend Collective. This is the parallel I'm tion beverage my guests of Wilhelmina Shrimpton and Irene Gardener. Actually, just a lot of people texted me about the story about the women being kicked out of the cinema, and everyone on the text, even though it's not in the article that I'm reading, said that they also brought a movie snack was KFC and the staff are sick of picking up bones, and I can imagine that would be a goodness, Yeah, chicken bones if that is true.
Speaker 4: And I don't know that it is because it wasn't an original story, but if that is true, I think you can't bring in things that smell hot food.
Speaker 3: The speicture of snacks.
Speaker 2: Some people should leave themselves out of the theater and that.
Speaker 3: No hot food, but you know, tempah cold fertisfied.
Speaker 2: Actually just we've only got a couple of minutes, but I do want to touch on this, and it's a bit of a we're switching back to the US politics, but I thought it was worth mentioning that the guy who has correctly predicted at almost every US election since nineteen eighty four has now completed as forecasting for the US election and reckons that Karmala Harris has got the is going to win. He's forecasting win for Karmala Harris. And the reason I think it's remarkable is that before Biden announced that he was stepping down, I didn't think Karmala Harris was the answer. But it seems that the momentum behind her, her irene is massive.
Speaker 4: It is. It's really energized things in a way that I wouldn't necessarily have predicted. It's weirdly, I know a lot of people thought Joe Biden should have stepped down earlier, but weirdly, the timing of it has ended up being strategically perfect. In some stranger jd Vance was, he's been appointed and they're you know, they're not a great combo against her. It's coming with this big rush of energy. I think they've managed to do it in a way that's kept Joe Biden's dignity. It's I think I think she probably is going to want I.
Speaker 2: Subject to their electoral College.
Speaker 4: Well, they've got such a weird system. They've got such a weird system, and their polling is never to be trusted. But can I just say for my own record that I predicted that the year that Trump won, I predicted it right the year that Biden won, and I predicted that the midterms would be a blue wave, not a red wave. So I'm on a good roll.
Speaker 2: Well what's your prediction now, Kamala. Yes, there we go.
Speaker 3: I'm excited. I think just well refreshing, exciting. It's exactly what was needed. I think that what should be commended is her marketing team. Oh my gosh, they've been working hard behind the scenes, haven't they. I mean, they clearly knew that this was coming, and they came out with a bang and a bang so big that everyone stopped talking about the assassination attempt in favor of Biden stepping down and Karmala stepping up.
Speaker 2: What is that only is how many weeks ago? As that? Is it two or three weeks ago?
Speaker 3: Yes, it feels like not that long ago month. And that was, you know, an historic moment, that was huge, huge news news. And the fact that that has just disappeared into the ether, I think just goes to show how strong her campaign is. I think she's going to pollogic indo six weeks out or whatever. She's one of the zeitgeist of the election period.
Speaker 2: I think it's about ninety six days or something to go. Yeah, so actually, thank goodness, it's only less than hundred days at least as opposed to this ridiculously long campaign.
Speaker 3: But it's exciting. It's so exciting now and I feel positive about it, whereas before I was terrified.
Speaker 2: Well that's good as well. Hey, thank you so much for coming an, Irene Gardener, Wilhelmina Shrimpton. Been a great fun panel. And you know you can put your feet up now. You can nurse your dog bite there, Irene, and you can go carry on the canedling on the couch Willem and Shrimpton with the love of your life.
Speaker 4: Okay, nothing you jealous or anything anyway, and.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much. Great to see you guys. We'll be back with the one roufradio show in just a moment. News Talk z B.
Speaker 1: For more from the weekend collective, listen live to News Talk zed B weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.