Speaker 1: You're listening to the Marcus Lush Night's podcast from News Talks at B.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Wednesday. Glad you could make it hit till twelve. Marcus is the name and great to be here. Eight hundred eighty ten eight. If you want to talk, Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty, that's the phone number. Different number. If you ring from overseas, you can call on WhatsApp, believe it or not. You can text on nine two nine do You can email Marcus at news TALKZB dot co dot WHATY Does that feel funny like? It's not the email. I don't know why that is. Seems so informal my email address, doesn't it. It's two o'clock in the morning in Los Angeles. There could be some news coming out of there tonight. We'll keep an eye on that, although it will still be nighttime by the time I go off here there. Although it's yesterday, not today, but early in today, so we'll keep an eye on that throughout the course of the evening. A couple of things mainly I want to talk about tonight. Firstly is the opening of this road, and I'm kind of disappointed that the road was opened with such a soft opening because I like a hyped road opening. This is the Munu to Tatlado, a highway that goes through the wind farm. It looks spectacular. It's even point five k's to replace the old man or two gorge that had long slips. I think the trains still go through the gorge. So your train driver a text me last night. I wasn't quite sure if he's going through the gorge, and I presume they must. So the first vehicles traveled the road this morning. I can't quite work out why more of a song and dance wasn't made of it, and why there wasn't a walk by eleven point five. That's perfect for families, candy floss buses taking people back hats. Ah'd be a great thing for the family who wouldn't remember walking on a road I walked that were first opened. That absolutely absolute waste opportunity, not having open uness. They did anyway, So that's a situation. The speed limit would be one hundred climeters per hour with two lanes divided by a flexible median barrier. That's a good thing or a bad thing. Why is it flexible? So anyway, if you've been on that road, today because you wouldn't been on it Earliss know what it was like. They're calling the project so much more than a road. Wetlands, stream diversions, mahey, toy artwork on the lookouts, structures and roundabouts. I don't know how many roundabouts are if the roundabouts are clear, So I do like a new road. The people of Woodfulle are excited, the people of Esshurst are excited. I'm sure it's up on Google Maps already. So if you've experienced this road, let us know what it's like. You might be driving as we talk tonight. That would be even better expensive for eleven point five kilometers. Can you bike it? By the way, be a shame if you couldn't buke it. Can you bike it? Can you walk it? I don't know the answer to these things. I'll just t I see if it's live on Google Maps yet I can't actually see where it is at State Highway through. Yes it is, it's not yet on Google Maps. You can see the road works, but you can't see the road opened. That's bad, isn't it. Well maybe you can see a little bit of it. So anyway, if you've been on that road today or want to comment on that. Let us know. The number is eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine twos. I'll say one thing for it. It looks a lot sunnier than the road through the gorge. That was kind of a god forsaken kind of a road, wasn't it. Cold hills on one side and the river on the other. Miserable kind of place for a river. But this would be great for the people that want to commute from Woodville from Mangetuanoka. My lost their job at the brewery because that no longer runs from pay Here tour. All those people will be commuting to Parmas to North. They'll be loving and Danny urk. That's situation. The road has opened. If you're a part of that, let me know how that worked out for you. That's what I want to start the whole thing about tonight. So yeah, I don't know why it opened in such a weird way. Normally they are falling over themselves politicians to open it. I don't quite know what happened there. See ahu A Tudanga is the name eleven point five killing me to four lane highway that runs from Parmerston North, weaving through wind farms to the tuddler town of Woodville. I don't know how much it was budgeted, but it's eight hundred and twenty four million dollars. Seems fair. I guess they're throwing good money after bad keeping the old road open. Anyway, if you've been and that, let me know how that's worked out for you. It's eleven past eight, good evening, Grant, It's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm actually the mayor of Parmers North and I know a bit about the road. So look at can I just.
Speaker 2: Can I just throw something at you? There was there was a bit of fear mangring it was going to be told, was it? And they stopped there? Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well done?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, it was a bit of It was a bit of i'd say a little bit of trepidation that it was going to be told. But look, I'm just actually an Asheist right now at a community meeting and that the new road has opened to a bit of fan fare, I mean a lot of commentary about how great it is, and you know, seven minutes between the two towns of Ashurst and Woodsville, it is a it is a great scenic road too, so look, it's it's fantastic for us here in the in the Manowood city and also for Taro and Hawk's Pay. Is it an easy drive, Yeah it is, although it's got a gradient very very similar to Transmission Gully, so yeah, it's but it's an amazing piece of engineering feat to go through the middle of basically the hills there and and also the wind turbines on either side, so it is quite a picturesque as you come down on the Hawk's Bay side or the Tartarua side looking towards the Tararua Valley and the real hanging ranges on one side, and you come down on the other side into the Muno with two you can on a good day you can see out to the sea and certainly Mount Hu on one side and out to the almost Foxed and the man Or Two River.
Speaker 2: Has it caused a land grab to the east that people want to buy properties there because it's now much easier to commute to Palmerston North.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I think it will be a Woodville will become a commute well, it already is a commuter town to Palmerston or City and the easy easiness of being able to get across now and to and from work. What I think will make Woodville very attractive to new home buyers and those sorts of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's fantastic. Okay, So it's all go. And what was the openin? Was it kind of a soft opening? Was this always a day that was planned to open?
Speaker 3: You had it, you were right on the money, and maybe the money was the thing they didn't They didn't put enough into in terms of opening it, but they missed an opportunity. Transport agents. Yeah, the Transport Agency opened it on Saturday morning, but they could have done a free community day where people could just walk the bridge. You know, it had because there's two magnificent bridges, the pretty Harker Bridge which goes over the one or two river, and then I've got an eco bridge across the Wetlands area and it is very spectacular. And there was an opportunity where people had put up with basically seven years of you know, lots and thousands of cars and trucks a day through the village of ashes Dan Woodsville, and now they're going back down to nine hundred with the new road sort of opening and just on the side of them.
Speaker 2: So it's cause of celebs cause of celebration, isn't it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Absolutely yeah.
Speaker 2: And the train still go through the gorge. Have I got that correct?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: It does.
Speaker 3: And look, if you go back to the late eighteen hundred, they used picks and shovels to open up the train. The train, you know, the rightway line was went through, but on the other side, on the on the road side, they dynamize of it. And you know that probably has been the difference of why they had all the slips.
Speaker 2: Are you going for another shot at the mayalty grant? Are you you're going again?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to have another crack three more years and we'll see how it.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 2: Is there any one money against you or or that you're like because you've been out of the news so much, I mean you haven't really, I mean there's been no great abdication. You're you're a dead suirit to be beck and are.
Speaker 3: You well you can never be complacent. But I've been the mere for a decade now, and as you say, sometimes when you're not on the news, that's good.
Speaker 2: It's a very good thing. Right. Well, look, thank you for giving us your time tonight, and I really appreciate that. There we go, that's the road, it's open, that's the mirror of Parmeston. So it goes between it's actually not, so it goes between essurist and woodful. I guess you'd say it, But he's quite right. They should have a bit more of a song and dance about the opening of that one. But there you go. If you you yourself have driven that and got a road report for us, would be nice to hear from you. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty love a new road, four lanes bangs for your buck Ooh, Marcus, of the barriers flexible will be a wire rope barrier motorcyclist standing me, He's like, well, there's a cheese cutter. I think the bikers don't like them. Marcus. Is there anyone else who is sickened by the new lotto? Add who wants to see idiot button aked in the snow with god forsaken music that gets stuck in your head? Put me buying lotto wherever credit should be fired. So it's a person that says that they will if they win lotto, they'll ski nagged. I don't have a problem with it at all. That's funny, isn't something to be offended by that, But oh well, you can walk it, you can buy it, and a flexible barrier to the wire rope. So there we go. That's a situation with this new road. If you've got some experience that, let's be hearing from me the brand new road. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty and nine nine. Keep you I think we're out without the bad weather day. We haven't got the thunder report. It's a good thing. So I'll keep you updated if anything else happens. But if you don't want to get involved, oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty, this is the new highway that well, it sort of like open Saturday, would also open today. But yeah, it's funny, isn't that he says that. That guy says repicturesque going through wind farms, And it's certainly wind farms have become picturesque, haven't they, Because for a while they're people were doing their damnedest to not have them in their neighborhoods. But now we seem to be much more kind of easy with them. There's also kind of a lot of terraced hills. You know, they've benched big hillsides to stop them slipping. It's impressive roadworks. So yeah, I was impressed with our transmission when I went through that for the first time. I'm sure this is the same if you want to comment on that eight hundred and eighty ten eighty, if he wants to talk about the Loto ad. I think it's quite quite that people still complain about ads, because I would say for most people they're viewing experience, they never see ads. For the fact you're still watching them means you're pretty old school. Like most we have a remote if there's something they don't like. The other story that's got a bit of interest from me today is the statistics figures that have come out today. Pretty amazing story is and probably for the first time ever, there is net migration from the North Island to the South Island. And I think ever since the gold Rush ended in the eighteen sixties, pip have been heading north. Of course, the South Island for a long time was the most populars but then of course the North Island has taken over and dominated for a long long time. But now it seems that the flower is going the other way and more than forty thousand people have moved from the North Island to Canterbury. Since twenty eighteen, eighty six thousand people have moved from the North Island to the southig in the last five years, thirty thousand more than people that went in the opposite direction. Seas Auklan always said to be full of people that have moved up from the South Island. Now in fact, the South Island of christ Judges full of people have moved down from the North Island where with big stories to tell get in touch. My name is Marcus head On Midnight. So if you are one of those people that's moved from the north end of the South Island, how was the experience in what advice would you give to others? I think any advice when you're moving from one town to another is just stay on the down low. Don't come in and kick up too much of a fuss. That never works. Nest it's Marcus, good evening.
Speaker 7: Good evening, Marcus. Yeah, I just want to talk about I love in Gennie Rouge. I just want to talk about new road really exciting. David opened. So I think all live in Denny Vige to Mute to Paris, the North and basher Forth. I lived in Deny Vue for about four years now, but I've still got family in Paris, and also I can mute quite regularly, so it's quite exciting. And the shopped this morning my daughter because she worked from Paris and all from Jennie Voge. It takes me just want to have the roads open, and we kind of didn't know when it was going to open, so I hid the meal of town. Someone speaking before it was kind of a little bit of a missed opportunity. Yeah, for some sort of sort of celebration.
Speaker 2: Well he should he should have driven that. It was his job to get that going. How long did how long din a victorpartments north? Is it forty minutes?
Speaker 7: For well, fifteen minutes of my little calf and of you go from Getty Ricka up to the gett a road that's not a nice road.
Speaker 2: Was a new road? How long does it take with a new road?
Speaker 7: Apparently? Well, I don't notice. I cann't travel it today, so okay, only only the other way?
Speaker 2: Did your door to say? How much quicker it was?
Speaker 7: She did? It was quite nice. It was quite nice, but she was she didn't even know what was going to be open either, So until she went to go the end. Then she takes me to this open man, so.
Speaker 2: She should she should have taken you.
Speaker 7: Well, she was going to work so this morning and it came back tonight. So it's because I lived right on the State Highway three and I got the railway track on one side and end the State highway on the other side. So yeah, they looked looked forward to it so long. So yeah, I'm looking forward to traveling tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I've put into Google Maps, but the Google Maps is not showing the new road.
Speaker 7: Obviously take a better time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm not very happy with that. Actually I thought that would be up to date.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we didn't know Thomas mon I needed, so I guess.
Speaker 2: It takes you haven't got much of a bush telegraph there and Eddio. That's disgusting that you've got no idea when you road. Don't know that'd be the only story in town.
Speaker 7: I was only just said my daughter takes me when she was going to week Sat, and so nobody knew what date or it was officially open on Saturday, and the governing officials come through and not open to the public, so we didn't know exact they win.
Speaker 2: So yeah, people are more people are more people moving to Donaverk or leaving Diana Vik.
Speaker 7: It's been hard to say. And between we're getting a lot of awkward people coming and I don't.
Speaker 2: Think, I don't think have been moving ton would.
Speaker 7: They mean awkward people coming to Jenny vug This the main year really.
Speaker 2: Buying a renter or moving there and gloating about how much money they made with their house selling their house up down.
Speaker 7: Well, they're not not gloating. They're buying and buying a house and just finding a lot cheaper.
Speaker 2: And and what are they doing for a crust Well, we're.
Speaker 7: Still working and you know, working from home, and they're still doing whatever they do.
Speaker 2: Or don't ask like influences or fitness consultants or what would you do from home?
Speaker 7: And Genny Vik, I don't know because they don't ask them so.
Speaker 2: Much what they're doing.
Speaker 7: They'll change the lifestyle for them though. That's the flower paint and one that I thought she seemed to be quite eppy.
Speaker 2: So it's a long way for.
Speaker 7: I guess, so which is yeah, but you've got to foot with the beds.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you got any roundabouts?
Speaker 7: Uh? Maybe one? Maybe no too, you got you got one?
Speaker 2: But you've got one. No parking meters, no tarking meters.
Speaker 7: No, it's quite yeah, quite simple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who runs who runs the town?
Speaker 7: The local mers? Tracy Martin? Yeah yeah, Terror district.
Speaker 2: She's the one that killed him mother? Who was that that killed him mother? Remember that? Is it Tracy Martin?
Speaker 7: Just not that one of Terror district? So not who you know? Okay, but anyway, Yeah, interesting shows the interest you listen to see what other people do know.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, that's for sure. So yeah, I think it was Tracy Martin. They wrote a book about that, didn't They was like, a might have got that wrong flit the note, but you know, Lawsy read a book about her, forget what a day. It was pretty sure was Tracy Martin. Anyway, the name will country from Fong and anyway, Oh eight hundred and eighty toil eighty nine two nine two to tict So that's a pretty interesting half hour, moving to the north end of the South Island, moving to small towns. Anything else you want to talk about, feel free to come through. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty and nine two nine two to text. Anything else you want to talk about. I'd love to hear from you, Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty and nine two nine two to text. There's something else you want to talk about? Oh, Leslie Martin, it was not Tracy Martin. That's good. Do get in touches, I say, oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty and nine to two, nine to two to text here till twelve. If you want to be a part of it. Is there something I just want to mention? I walk up the Eye on Overseas News, Dream Now and Midnight Tonight also too. We're talking about moving from the North Island to the South Island. It's like reverse fly, isn't it. Jordan, It's Marcus, Welcome, good evening.
Speaker 9: Hey, how are you good?
Speaker 2: Jordan? Are you a mover?
Speaker 10: I am, yes, recently from Auckland down to the Otaga region into Dunedin.
Speaker 2: Wow, because.
Speaker 10: Cheap houses.
Speaker 2: Did you realize, did Jordan? Did you realize was a thing?
Speaker 10: I guess like from from I've not of mates have lived down in the South and then gone up to Auckland to earn a bit more, and then obviously it goes a bit further down there in kennerburtin Otago.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just never realized. I mean when the sense of stuff comes through, it looks like it's a really big deal. With eighty six thousand people, almost one hundred thousand moving to the North Island from the North Island to the South within five years, it's a big deal.
Speaker 11: Sure is.
Speaker 2: Is it worked out for you?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Well maybe not like super uncommon, but I guess we made it work by we took our Auckland jobs down with us, both my wife and I. We work for tech companies up at Auckland, and with the work from home from COVID that's translated into the role can now be kind of remote from New Zealand. So we're just I just took there as an opportunity to go somewhere a bit cheaper Stanley down there as well.
Speaker 8: So yeah, do.
Speaker 2: The bosses ever want to see you in Auckland?
Speaker 10: Yeah, actually I'm here at the moment. That's how I caught winding there in my mum's cash. She's got z beyond, so that's how he's asking about it. Yeah, So yeah, up here at the moment. Just come back from time to time because obviously there's always good stuff to do it in person, but.
Speaker 2: Because that is the hussle from the end of the airport. So is far damn far away. A. That's the that's the big downer.
Speaker 10: Yes, ye, it's probably the biggest drive you can do down there. Actually, Yes, from from like the Oxygen out past moscowle out to the airport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so tell me how many years since you moved down?
Speaker 12: Just this year?
Speaker 10: Actually very recently?
Speaker 2: Okay, because the whole thing that's key I reckon is when you move from one place to the other, is when you realize that it's permanent. Has that happened for you yet? Have you settled in straight away or is it still a work in progress and you might move back?
Speaker 10: Now we're committed. Now we bought some property, yes, so I guess that's made it pretty real. Yeah, so definitely just gonna I guess paid down mortgage there. And maybe maybe it changes again, like if the job market changes and people don't let you work from home anymore. But while while it works, it works, and I think that's where we'll be.
Speaker 2: Is there is there any down side with it to be working from home?
Speaker 9: Definitely?
Speaker 10: I would say it does impact on your upward mobility, like you're not really coming across the opportunities. There's not I guess interned and there ares and tech jobs given day where the gigatown when five or first came through. But obviously I think especially for the work that we're doing, it's definitely all happening in Auckland. Maybe a little bit in christ Church too, but so.
Speaker 2: Career advance when in getting hit hunted and stuff that's not going to happen because those people aren't there. Is that kind of what you're saying.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And I think also just with the amount of people out of work. If you know, if someone came across your LinkedIn or something and said, hey, we've got an opportunity for you, if you said I have to be I'm playing them allagine living indeed, and then maybe they'd look past you for probably ten other candidates that they've got available in an orpened in person.
Speaker 2: Have you found it easy to meet people?
Speaker 10: Yes, Actually one thing we different they noticed was introducing yourself to friends of friends. People are quite quite almost more accommodating I would say, down there than they are even though you aren't out of town and from the big city.
Speaker 11: Yeah, definitely quite accommodating.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess probably quite surprised because for so long people leaving to need to head north. I mean the thing that now that the reverse things started, it's probably quite exciting for people. Yeah, exactly your house isn't too cold, is it.
Speaker 10: No, No, it's it's got all the nice things that heat pump, they would burners both keep we keep it nice and warm.
Speaker 2: The great thing about in a cold climate you can always if you're always stuck for a conversation, if you discuss what sort of firewood you're burning, that you can go for days about that. That you're never alone with a conversation like that. That's everyone could talk about firewood.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And obviously I gues said the same Vein, Like you go to the shops, people are much willing to just talk about anything. Yeah, have longer random conversations than I guess I found it awkward.
Speaker 2: Did you just choose to or did you look around islet towns in the South Island before you head on Dunedin.
Speaker 13: Leeden?
Speaker 7: Was?
Speaker 10: It was mainly for the family that we had there already.
Speaker 9: Okay, so here that was the big draw.
Speaker 2: Really interesting to talk Jordan, Thank you so much to that, very generous with your information. Find this fascinating, absolutely fascinating because your thought. For a long time the South Island was dying, but then there was the quake in the rebuild, and then of course Central Targo is growing like topsy because it's spectacular despite all its planning issues. Yeah, and let's not forget Rolliston growing like there's no tomorrow. I think there's forty thousand people or something there. I think it's the fifth biggest place in the South Island. All these things are great stories and affordability, work life balance, YadA, yadia. Well, I don't want to be the advocate for but I kind of was there but a while ago with a north south switch and yeah, no complaints at all. Get in touch, you want to talk. Moname is Marcus welcome Eddal twelve. The new road, the one or two tunnel, a highway, that's topic one. Topic two. All these people moving from the North under the side. I couldn't believe when I saw the article. Seems all the young people heading overseas, the progressives and those that want to stand in the moving to the South Island. Ten percent of those moving south have come from Wellington, So now four point three percent of whin Tonians are living in the South Island. New Zealand North Island is moving to christ Church. If one aim in common affordability, they've discovered it's not all about the money. Everything's a bit slower. Knowing in a rush less win less traffic, less rent and a lot more sun.
Speaker 9: You go.
Speaker 2: A lot of people like a lifestyle block too, don't they. So there we go. It's amazing. After the quake, everyone thought that christ Church would well, not everyone, but they thought, well, it's touch and go where the christ Church would survive and Canterbury's blossomed. The new road, the new road that's open and moving from the northide to the south side. There're two of the discussions that we've got on today. I'll get to the texts. Go to Newtube. You go to YouTube for an overview of Munuwatu the road that's from nol Marcus, you reminded me of the old Hot Road and Wellington. Traffic lights are on gentries over the road. That center lane could change directions being on the morning of the evening rush hour is that's like the Harbor Bridge. Marcus moved from Stratford, Taranaki to Maruya. True story to Eden's supermarket band. Customers from wearing slippers.
Speaker 14: Oh, Marcus.
Speaker 2: I wonder if it's harder for more recent immigrants to make them move. Marcus, visiting family in the South Island's like returned to the good old days of thirty or forty years ago. A lot of Auckland's become like a pig stye Marcus, I wonder how many of those Wellington people that are moving down to the South Island ex government workers have rescuing made redundant. I went the opposite way several years ago, from the South Island to the North Island. Well I guess if you are a Wellington bureaucrat and you're out of work, you may as well go somewhere it's more affordable to live for a while as your regroup. I would have thought a lot of those people had gone overseas. That was the great fear when they cleaned out the bureaucracy, as a lot of those people and those skills will be lost forever because you're not coming back from Australia, because the figures of the young people moving to Australia are through the roof. And that's the real worry. Evening, Marty Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 15: You know, Marcus, I've got a field Day's report and a new roundabout report about the priory roundabout how it handled its thirst field days today?
Speaker 2: How fast the part of any roundabout from the field days forty k's or further than that.
Speaker 15: So normally it would take thirty five minutes to get to the field days and this morning we left at eight o'clock and we were there about forty five minutes, so it was ten minutes longer. Yeah, that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: What are you looking for? You're looking to buy more collars for your cows? Is that what you're into? What are you looking for?
Speaker 15: Taking the kids, taking the three youngest and send them out on a little the quest. I had to find how much the average farc spends on fertilizer the balanced tent there was one path to. The second one was the price of a new John de attractor, which is ridiculous, and the third one was getting a free hat.
Speaker 2: Why don't we make our own tractors?
Speaker 15: Wow, for the price of that John Dee a tractor, I think you can make quite a few tractors.
Speaker 2: How much is a John Dere We brought.
Speaker 15: One about five years ago and it was one hundred and five thousand, four one hundred and seen normals and gets how much it is today in twenty twenty five, same tractor with a fronting loader.
Speaker 2: One hundred and eighty one eighty thousand. I hate it when you guess just right that Rick's a guest, doesn't it That does seem a lock the way.
Speaker 15: It seems like, yeah, and so wondering why you're not selling as well? Wow, that's seventy five thousand too much and this hasn't even exactly the same model.
Speaker 2: Did he sharpen his pencil for field day deal?
Speaker 16: Wow?
Speaker 15: The other one, it's probably the twy Corolla effects that's probably too good and last too long and don't break down enough. They need to make them a bit shittier.
Speaker 2: How much would you sell your old one for?
Speaker 16: Well?
Speaker 15: Here he can Well that's the thing they're trying to get you on the Tayden. Here he can give me the same price back for it, and then you don't have to pay seventy five thousand for the new one. I'd do that, Yeah, possible, fash happened depencil Maybe maybe for sixty, but.
Speaker 2: It's just the same. It's not gonna it's got no more bought bells or whistles or anything.
Speaker 15: Yeah, pretty much just the same. Yeah, I couldn't. They don't actually have one yet, but I've seen about fender them lined up in the yards. They got a lot for me to go.
Speaker 2: What's the other anyway? What's the other Thing's got people talking at the field days?
Speaker 15: Ah, it was all about drones. It was about one hundred different drone dealers.
Speaker 2: Now what are the drones for? For for fertilizer or for rounding up your candle or what?
Speaker 15: I think they just mainly for driving around and your farm and like looking at things. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you're sit at home in the lounge on your lazy boy. You got that rigged up to the TV. You're just watching with screen.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 15: So you got the Warriors on, you got your throwing out there picking on things, you got the you got your one hundred and eighty thousand dollars tracks tucked up on the shed. You're are ready to go?
Speaker 2: Do yourself a hot did you yourself a hot dog or anything special?
Speaker 17: Many?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 15: So the balance the balance pit came through with the best brief. I quite like join my free food there. But there was gourmet pies and balanced tint and quite good coffee yep. And and uh the best coffee actually was Rabobank. Oh wow, into a bit of a coffee these days a ruber Banks and positioning out the good coffee. But I just want quickly about the roundabout performance. Yes, it went really well today, no crashes, It didn't need any toyemen there where the gloves on drinking. We magnificently rounder And.
Speaker 2: This is the one. This is the one on the way to Hobbits in that roundabout A That's the one, isn't it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, with a big hawk on it. I've found out it's a falcon.
Speaker 16: Not a fork.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah. Yeah. The sculpture of that the guy Graham, he just died too, so that was good. That got up before. Yeah, I was reading about having too.
Speaker 15: So it's like it's like the New Zealand native falcons. I'm trying to think of a name for our airbnb that I've made out of an old worker's house on the farm. I want to do something about the falcon and our so the level that an overlooks the falcons, I'm thinking of calling it the falcon's nest or the falcon's or something.
Speaker 2: Well, let you always go, you always go Falcons Rest.
Speaker 3: Don't you Falcon's Rest?
Speaker 2: Because there was a TV show Whiles, But I like everything is called falcons Rest, isn't it? Is that right? I think it was a TV show, wasn't it?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How much a night?
Speaker 15: Well, we've had our first We've had Houston Group. So I had some surfers from Hawaii and it's pretty it's pretty backpackerish, so I put all the kids in there. It's pretty rough. So I've been going. You still it out around thirty dollars a night. We had ten people say, so there was a pretty good, pretty good five days, two hundred and nights people.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, long way from the long way from the surf though.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah.
Speaker 15: They were going to Hobbiton and Road now using it as a bit of a face can for wife and doing something in Cambridge Shire. But they were like Christian surfers, they're on a mission. They're out to people.
Speaker 2: Oh they're still about the Christian surfers. So they don't go away anytime soon, do they.
Speaker 15: Wow, Christian surfers are still going in this millennium just like Jesus and are still still ticking over.
Speaker 2: Were there are?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, well not nice to hear from you, but it's a tremendous report. I enjoyed that much, so thanks very much for that. Nine Away from nine Chris, it's Marcus. Welcome. Hi Chris.
Speaker 12: Oh hi Marcus. Sorry. Yes, I just would love to be at field days, but that's not why I rang, But I'd love to get you one day. I've just watched the new season of the Castera Tiers Life and Death around the Globe was Frounces and Payora Tippany. I was quite interested to watch it after in the public arena with their staff member, which was quite terrible for them, and it was a really great program for the series. Tonight they were in Tonga and where his ancestors are and it was really good. I really enjoyed it and thought it was a really good comeback for their series.
Speaker 2: Did they acknowledge what had happened with that prosecution?
Speaker 12: No, Well, I'm actually looking at it. They had their baby daughter in the program and left their boys at home, and the babies like not that old, less than a year old, and I'm wondering if it was before filmed.
Speaker 2: Before the prosecution, you could well have been.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so judging by the age of the baby because at the end of the last series, with their particular staff member still in it, the baby had just been born and a daughter after a whole lot of boys.
Speaker 2: So they are they sort of going on the world, looking at around the world, looking at funeral stuff. Is that the way the series works?
Speaker 12: Well, it's it's saying life and death around the globes, and next week they're going to I think Rarah, Tonga. I'm not sure.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 12: I thought it might have been for the Pacific, but I don't really know so, but I just thought it was quite lovely tonight because that's where his ancestors were from and the respect that.
Speaker 2: You know, so he's Tongue and is he.
Speaker 12: He's half Tongu and he has Murray and Tonguan. I think his father was Tongan. And he's ever been to Tonga though it's only three hours away, he'd never been. So he met an ancestor tonight and visited the graves of his ancestors like his great great grandfather and so it was very and then visited a funeral home and other undertank takers. I mean, it sounds a bit morbid, but it wasn't really. It was very respectful and very heartfelt, I thought to night.
Speaker 2: So, oh, yeah, they seemed to friend with people. I don't think it's my jam. I don't like watching about death, but people do seem to love it, don't they.
Speaker 12: No, well, I was about to say, you can only have so much of it, but I was interested to watch the first program of after what had happened to see how they redeemed themselves. But they were out of New Zealand, so that probably made it.
Speaker 2: I also remember that they went to They went very quickly after Queen Elizabeth died to get themselves involved with her funeral, which I always thought was a strange thing to do, but that seemed to be something they wanted to do.
Speaker 12: Sorry, they worry.
Speaker 2: They went to join the queue for Queen Elizabeth when she had died and was laying in state. Remember that.
Speaker 12: I do vaguely remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know if that was for the series or not.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I don't know, but I mean whether I tune in every week, but I was quite interested tonight just to see how they redeemed themselves for a TV program after the very terrible public profile figure of their last series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agreed, look nice to hear from you, Christ and thanks for bringing that out. That's a good report. I'm going to start this hour with extremely good joke that I've been sent in. Marcus. How did the tractor break up with the other tractor? She wrote him a John Dee letter. That is quality. By the way, falcons Crest, not falcon Rest, was a TV program. I'd got it. Falcons Crest tempted to come stay myself. Actually, I'm just trying to. We're planning a hobbit and holiday fidget spin. We could do that September. I mean, I mean the kids of zero winterest and Hobiton, but I can get them thirsd about that for there we go, Marcus. I picked up a pair of mood socks at the field days today. They designed to change color to indicate warn out of your mood, target market as farmers, to combat depression. Green, good to go, orange, stay away, we'd go check into a facility. You can never wash them, so they will sink to high heaven purposely to keep the wife away. I'm back tomorrow, will doubt more trees and report back. You want a pair of chake take care Sha, No, not for me. I'm happy with the socks I've got Marcus. Musketeers are off to Van Noar two next week. It was a good show tonight. There we go. Welcome, How are you going people? Marcus? We moved from Milton to Funkaday to do where I'm now retired, keV Marcus. We moved to in Viicago for a job the start of twenty twenty from Auckland. Didn't tell me one where I was from. They got to know me. Loved it, kids love. We had to move back to t Walking a few years ago now for working in My heart remained to the South. We planned to move back when the kids had finished school. So we are talking about migration news, seeing people moving from the north end of the South and the field Days and the Casketeers and the new road from the Mono two to the Tuttaders. The town to move to is Denny Vig. Oh yeah, when we' we talking about the rich list there would they bless them? Angie, it's Marcus. Good evening and welcome Hi Marcus. How are you good, Ngie?
Speaker 19: Thank you excellent will. I was wanting to why people in New Zealand say if you do a news article and then you read down and you say two five to six instead of at five to six. Why I don't get it. I just realized that I'm not exactly sure why that happens.
Speaker 2: Tell me about tell me again so I can listen more closely.
Speaker 19: So if I listen to the news or the weather forecast on news talks at b so someone might say, oh, you know, it's stormy in christ Church whatever two five to six instead of saying at six o'clock or at the time. You guys use the word too. I've been here for eight years. I'm just not quite sure why people use the word two instead of act. I know this might be really boring, but I honestly, genuinely don't understand.
Speaker 2: Why do you understand what they saying?
Speaker 19: No, I understand what they're saying. I just don't two a time instead of at the time.
Speaker 2: Tell me again how it goes.
Speaker 13: So, say I was.
Speaker 19: Saying, oh, it's stormy and christ night two five to six, whereas if I was an English presenter, I'd say it's stormy in christ night at five to six. Why do you say two five to six?
Speaker 2: Have I seen it?
Speaker 19: Not you personally, but everyone on the radio station, on this radio station does Why do people say two a time. I'm not trying to be boring Marcus Onathy, I'm not. I nearly didn't ring in.
Speaker 4: I just.
Speaker 2: At the out of the outtro of the bulletin.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll say that's using sports.
Speaker 19: To Yes, so they say two five passics instead of at five pastics.
Speaker 2: Because the news and sport has taken the slot up to five to six. It's the it's the it's the six o'clock news, and that's using sport to five past six.
Speaker 19: So is there a reason that British people and New Zealanders do it differently? So that was my question. I going to be antagonistic.
Speaker 2: I haven't heard British radio what they would say.
Speaker 19: I don't think i've ever heard another country say two instead of I was just interesting.
Speaker 2: But it wouldn't make sense world.
Speaker 19: Well, if you normally say, oh, so this is the news at six o'clock.
Speaker 2: Yes, they start off at the same in the news, this is the news at six, and that the ends they say, this is news in sport to five past six.
Speaker 19: I agree with you, But in the on if you've traveled and I know that you have done so, yes, you say at six o'clock at the start of the news article, but at the end of it you don't say two ten past six, so.
Speaker 2: You think they should say that's news and sports.
Speaker 19: I'm just that I know, I'm genuinely interested as to why it is.
Speaker 5: It's a question.
Speaker 2: So you're saying, to be more grammatical to say that's news and sport and the time is now five past six.
Speaker 19: I'm not directing anybody, Marcus. My question is why is it different? Because I've not heard it before. So normally people say, oh, this is what we reported at this time, not to this time. It was just a query. I'm sorry for ringing in.
Speaker 2: I think it's interesting.
Speaker 8: I just.
Speaker 2: I'm just not sure what the answer is.
Speaker 19: Lean neither that's records ringing it because.
Speaker 2: What we say is that using sport to five past six.
Speaker 19: Yes, So normally if you were listening to the I'm not saying everyone should listen to the BBC, but if you were listening to that, they would say that was the news and sport at five plast six. They wouldn't say two five plastics.
Speaker 15: Wow.
Speaker 19: Okay, I know that's entirely boring. I'm going to continue listening. I'm sorry, apologize.
Speaker 2: I felt it interesting. But yeah, look, I don't set up the templates for the news and sports to like it. It's out, it's out beyond my brief. It doesn't jar with me. It makes sense to me. Someone else might want to comment about that, or some might want to comment on Angie. What they thinking about Energi. Yeah, when you spoke to travel to broaden your experience and different experiences are you? I don't know? And all the things of all the things in the world. Marcus tell her it's quarter five to two. What does that mean? Anway lines there free if you want to come through. Fourteen past nine. People moving from the north out of the South Island. They're doing that in droves, the field days, the casket tears in the new road. The tunnel law is there's something else you want to mention? Tonight be my guest quite literally eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine to nine two de text. The moon tonight is a strawberry moon. A full strawberry moon will be visible tonight. The full moon is called the strawberry moon in June after the harvest season absorbed observed by Indigenous Americans. Winter full moons and you're genermong the brightest and highest of the year. You the moon's position as Earth orbits the Sun. So yeah, there are big moons in the winter. Becomes full precise at eight forty three. Loving that good evening, Tony, it's Marcus. Welcome you go, Marcus.
Speaker 17: What that lady was saying about the way you finish your news and weather. There's another news program in the next hour, so you're up to the five past eight. There's going to be another one at five past nine, so two five past eight, next one is to follow. It's not the end of it. It's not the last news.
Speaker 7: Of the day, is it.
Speaker 2: No, So what does that mean?
Speaker 17: Well, when if you said there's the news at five past eight, that kind of completes it. If you say that's the news to five past eight, because this morning used to come next there there'll be another one.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And I think all this is probably quite planned. I think we don't do things. I don't think we do things in an ad hoc or reckless men are with our news.
Speaker 17: No, no, I think in the most complete sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it jarred with her. I know she didn't want to come across as sounding patronizing, but she was a bit defensive, but yeah, look, I don't know what that was. Good evening Markets, Marcus, Welcome.
Speaker 20: Good evening Marcus. The up under two one country the British had knocked in one word of and the kiwis is not one word of. So it used to be the news and weather up to six o'clock. Now someone says news and weather up six o'clock. On News and Weather two six o'clock, it's quite simple.
Speaker 2: Really doesn't sound that simple because we're too about that's news and sport to five past six.
Speaker 20: Yeah, but you could say up to five past six and people have dropped one of the words.
Speaker 2: Why would you say up to five? Why would you say up to five past six?
Speaker 20: Because that's all the news and sport that I know about up to five past six.
Speaker 2: Basically, I think that sounds I think to me, that sounds a bit clunkier.
Speaker 20: Yeah, that's why they've cut them short. That's why they've cut words off.
Speaker 2: Okay, who's they as well?
Speaker 20: Anyone who's in the business, I suppose decides which words to cut out on the radio or TV programs or whatever, just to shorten the abbreviation so then get through more stuff. I suppose I don't know or people just get lazy and say, oh, let's just say up up six o'clock or two six o'clock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not fully in agreement with you, Mart, but I appreciate your confidence that you rung out and said that with Dale Marcus. Good evening and welcome.
Speaker 18: You get a Marcus.
Speaker 8: Look.
Speaker 18: I've just come up over the New George Road.
Speaker 2: So you've gone it's east west west east, isn't it?
Speaker 16: Is that?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 2: That's the way it goes with a kink.
Speaker 18: Yeah, Well I've traveled. Yeah, I've traveled from the Fielding side, coming through to Ashes and up over the Gorge towards Woodville and gone over to paid perf for something. And I've come on the way back both ways. The fantastic views of Parmes the north and Woodville and you know, the light scenery is just incredible. But one thing I noticed, just as an observation for the first time driving on a road, as you're coming back from Woodville down on this beautiful motorway, you I didn't notice a sign saying major intersection ahead. I may have missed a major roundabout because as you come down there's a small sign on the side that shows a roundabout. But I guess if you weren't observant, you can potentially. I'm not saying it would happen, you'd have to be pretty dumb. But as you come down, particularly at nighttime, next thing, there's this there's this big roundabout, well several loads of it, So just wondering again I might have missed it, but I wonder if that in the future they probably need to have a large sign saying major intersection heads. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe and this is the Essue side or the woods Woodville side side. Okay, maybe they've got the signe writing just quite Oh you can see that now. I'm just looking at Google Maps, but that's kind of the photos a bit outdated, so they're not even directed. So that's interesting. You've got good views down over Parmeerston North that would be quite spectacular.
Speaker 18: Absolutely spectacular. Almost the roads up over the hills here are yeah, like the Soil Road or the posts who are track. You get incredible views of the whole city at night time and in the day. But yeah, I'm be interested to hear anyone else's comments that have traveled over and if they've kind of come to the same conclusion that as you come down towards ashes. There's a very small sign on the side showing aroundabout, but I would have thought that have a big sign saying major intersection.
Speaker 2: Head you're a bit will they run into snow trouble there snow?
Speaker 18: Yeah, we occasionally with occasion you get snow. And the monow two probably over the hills a bit further you can see snow at the moment. I'm not sure if what I've seen snow in the twenty five years i've lived over this way over the Sederl Road. But anyway, there we go.
Speaker 2: I always remember those bleak conditions when there was that nd set playing Crest that was the other side, wasn't it the flight seven oh three? Terrible conditions? Weren't you remember those fat footage of that play from there?
Speaker 18: You further around towards the up there at the moment, if you look not on the where the TV and tenor is, but further around, there's tons of snow on the hills around all the ranges around there for sure. And Livin there's there's there's always snow in the winter.
Speaker 2: Great report, Thanks Dale, hold your horses, Johnny with you soon, Sue, It's Marcus. Welcome good evening.
Speaker 6: Oh hello, Marcus.
Speaker 11: Hi.
Speaker 6: I used to be a grammar teacher for the international students who came to New Zealand and for the refugees, and when you always taught there. But the prepositions in on and at and in was for in the morning, in the afternoon and in the evening. And on was for on Sunday, on Monday, on Tuesday, on Wednesday, so that was days of the week. And at was always for the time, like at four o'clock, at five o'clock, at six o'clock, at seven o'clock.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think it was always for the time.
Speaker 20: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think they say this is the news at six o'clock and then they say that is the news to five past six. It's like the end bracket on the news.
Speaker 12: Oh.
Speaker 7: I say, what's.
Speaker 2: At the other end of it, Johnny, it's Marcus.
Speaker 4: Good evening, Oh, good evening, you st. I was just getting on the conversation about people moving down to the South Holland and droves. I remember going back to South Holland for thro Tom and Tetay them and there were still people leaving the bottom of the South Island and drives, and there was row after row of houses and Avocago that were empty that Lenolds couldn't rent.
Speaker 19: No.
Speaker 4: I remember after the earthquake and chriss each around that time that you know, there was a lot of incentive for people to move to chross Chuch. But there's this old story that there was no way for people to live. And I just heard something about it just a few days ago that there was there's still not enough places for people to live. Who for moving down there.
Speaker 2: It's funny. It's funny because there was that, you know, in Vercago had the fastest declining population in the Southern hemisphere. There was that, Yeah, And I don't really know what turn that round. Probably in all reality was the dairy boom and so much dairy support and dairy workers. I think there's that, But also to this funny old micro migrations too funny enough. After the christ Church quake, I noticed a lot of people moved from christ It's two in Chicago. There was an influx of people then that were looked at, We're finding, Okay, we're out of there. We want to go somewhere that's affordable, and we want to be south. We want to get out of christ Church. A lot of people moved to in Chicago. Then now everyone seems to move into Christ Church in Dunedin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is interesting. Yeah, I think it's all that seems always interesting. Hey, Marcus, I did want to ask for something else. We went over to the Pikatarki broach today just before tunny as work, and we drove through some floodwaters on on the way towards Pokahena coming from Totonga. And that the Pikatarki bridge is over one hundred years old and it's going to be replaced. But it's it's absolutely terrible. And when you have it's a traffic light bridge, one lane and it's one giant pothole. Really, but took the truck over the here with the crane it and there was a logging truck on the other side shaking his head, very angry looking guy because the light had changed while I was halfway across.
Speaker 2: It's a single it's a single lane bridge, isn't.
Speaker 4: Yes, Yes, there's traffic light at each end and so it runs out like you know that the old pedestrian crossing runs out before you get to the other side. Tunes read again from green Well this this happened today and I thought that's pretty dangerous.
Speaker 2: What we're doing. What we're doing in the crane.
Speaker 4: I've got a truck with a crane. It's just a small one and I'm just doing a little bit of work on it before I get a tear cel and start my own little delivery business of sides eight tons and yeah, a nice little crane there.
Speaker 2: So what will you be delivering?
Speaker 4: Oh like railway sleepers when we can get them again, and yeah, paving palettes to building sites. But it interesting thing on the way down today to one and we saw the railway lines and there's a hole of golf carts on railway tracks. Now there's a little tour you can go on down the just around each comp Yeah I hate it. Yes, it's cheer boy.
Speaker 2: Doesn't doesn't. It's just a disgusting that we had a great rail in it. We Now we got people on golf frolly saying, oh look at this is amazing. I mean, you know anyway, what what what? What is interesting? I think at tunning our tour and you know about this there was a shared road rail bridge. Is that the one you're talking about?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 2: Did that goes as far as twenty A tour where was the road rail bridge the shared one?
Speaker 4: Do you remember we a sheared road railroadge for us and to with the railway track in the road. No, no, my patents.
Speaker 8: From the remember.
Speaker 2: I might have my rise crossed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a whole lot of railway line that's up. That'scott farmland on it. So there's the railway's been abandoned. There's BlackBerry growing over the top of it near the river. Yeah, and so there's railway sleepers. People have come along and just checked up the railway lines and punched them all.
Speaker 2: But what's Johnny, what's the sleeper worth?
Speaker 20: Oh?
Speaker 4: Retail ninety dollars? Oh yeah, yeah, shocking, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Well try and making one, I suppose. Yeah, I guess they're worth what people will pay for them.
Speaker 4: Well, there used to be reasonably priced to buy, but now you know they're run well over one thousand dollars for a bund or twenty five. So you're looking at transporting those as well, which is about it up to twelve hundred kilograms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to run Johnny on news. But look, it's nice to talk to you. Thank you for that. Keep your calls coming through and enjoying it greatly. People, it'scared to say the time now in case and who's going to come down the pipes? What are you saying that, Jason Marcus? Welcome Marcus made a right, Yeah, good Jason yourself.
Speaker 21: Hey, he'd pretty good on the headline there. We're just talking about facial recognition technology and a bit behind nowadays. Hey, I want to swing back to the railways for a second. You know, one of the biggest issues is maintaining the railways and keeping it eye on the tracks and all the people. We need to actually go ahead and actually make sure the railway is safe for people to use. The same technology that's going to be used for this facial recognition stuff can be used to monitor the railway systems as the trains move around. It's the same stuff that can be used to one of the roads as buses and caurier drivers and taxis and things move around as well. So watch the space.
Speaker 8: Very exciting.
Speaker 21: Actually, facial recognition technology is being used all around the world. Are you excited about it or you're not?
Speaker 2: For you, how is it going to possibly impact your life?
Speaker 21: I think probably removing I think probably removing the sphere of whether there are desirable people in places I don't want them to be, especially if we know who they are.
Speaker 2: Does it Are you scared? Often? Have people been where they shouldn't be or where you are?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 21: No, but I think there is a I think there is a more fragile group of people out there. As as we engaging population, there's chrime rates starts to sort of you know, tear off. We've still got a bit of the unknown. Is there somebody in a bar who shouldn't be there because they caused the ruckus three weeks ago? Is there somebody who was I'm.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily going to cause a ruckus this time? Are they if it's a well managed bar. Are that you're handing too much faith into the technology?
Speaker 21: Well, we're moving that way, and we're using that airport's already all around the world. We're using going to have train stations already all around the world. We're using it when we go to the airport, when you go on your flight, when you arrive in America, when you arrive the most sort of you know, airports in the world. We'd already using it, would be using it for a long time. It's nothing new. What I'd be interested in is how far are they going to take it? Where else do they want to put it? And who's going to look after their data?
Speaker 8: That's probably I think.
Speaker 2: It's concerned God on here, Jason, thanks for that. Twenty five to ten, someone said it's another way of saying up until is two For a good point, Marcus, are the stories online about Bradley Walsh being sacked from the chase?
Speaker 4: True?
Speaker 2: Is at fake news? I click on the stories but seems to get redirected other websites. Cheers, curious that will be fake news. If Bradley Walsh got the don't come Monday, it would be third story up in the bulletin. So yes, but thanks for asking. But yes, they go to and then they get the hits, the clicks Marcus, it's the news up to six, but the upper is usually dropped. Oh my god, that was so boring. My English daddy is to say the time was five and twenty past, Kezzy, she's been reboring. Who cares how the news is? Time? Get over it, lady, Marcus. I was in Zagreb, Croatia, a few years back. While talking to a local near a football steam. She told me his story where the local supporters try to find out who's from their rivals in the south of the country. They would ask them the time and they would reply, for example, quarter past six, whereas the locals would say it's fifteen past. If they do find an opposition support, they'll get roughed. Up market's the news up until six, but the up until is usually dropped. Marcus has the South Island supermarket band pj's and onesies or just slip it slippers. Just wondering, Ice would say, a lot of the people are in pajamas and onesies now in the supermarket. I don't think you can enforce address stand at the supermarket. Not sure. Why would I find the grammatical chat quite interesting? Maybe I am boring, just different ways of saying the same things, really and enduring the show and Queen said that che has beat Marcus. I think someone's getting confused. Then news it to five past six is whenning the time to five minutes. She could also replace the two five with until five. Yes, road rail bridge between Totecho and Tania Tour was no longer. Yes, Marcus Picata Bridge did share the rail with right where were kids olive at Awakiri? We had to give way to the train is it does need replacing. Good Evening has It's Marcus, welcome, good.
Speaker 8: Evening, Marcus. How are you this fine evening?
Speaker 2: Good things has excellent?
Speaker 9: Hey, thought I just took my take on a field days today.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I thought it was.
Speaker 9: I thought it was really busy. I've been to a few of that events over the years. Looks like it was the best kind of best weather window was today. I'll head back there tomorrow and finish off my circuit. But yeah, I thought it was a really positive, h positive vibe out there. A lot of farmers, a lot of people looking at big machines, and I dare say, you know, some text breaks are going to be very welcome.
Speaker 2: Are you in the market for something now?
Speaker 9: Not really, I'm I'm in the building trade myself, and I had a look around. I mean, the building world has been pretty.
Speaker 8: Challenging the last few years. No secret there.
Speaker 9: But yeah, I thought it was a lot more positive conversations I had with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as a builder, why were you there?
Speaker 8: We were exhibiting? Yeah, we were there.
Speaker 9: And I'm going to be on the stand tomorrow, so z'd be listeners more than welcome to stop by Lendmark.
Speaker 10: And it's worth your while.
Speaker 2: You sign up homes and stuff with people there.
Speaker 9: Look really field Days as a chance for us to connect with people and kind of understand what the what their aspirations are and that kind of thing. And you know it's I mean, you're not going to sell a house at field Days, but you certainly might meet someone who you do build a house with. And I think, you know, it's a great chance to connect with people and really.
Speaker 8: Relaxed.
Speaker 9: Plenty of good food and good drinks and that kind of thing around. Plenty of cool new toys to look at field Days.
Speaker 8: So I think it's a really cool atmosphere.
Speaker 2: And you know, what's what's your what's your thing to get people into yours, into your stall.
Speaker 9: Yeah, look, it's really that that kind of quality that we shoot for at Lamarck Holmes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're giving free free coffee or anything like that, what I mean, You've got to you got to You've got to get people in there, don't you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Well, we've got a we've got a helicopter. Funnily enough, we've got this place out and Takofi and Hamilton that's at air Park.
Speaker 8: We've got a few sections.
Speaker 9: And they've got a promo helicopter, so they we've blasted Landmark all over it, so people going, we'll see that there. It's usually got taps for beer. But I was disappointed to hear that they are not live with. Hey, maybe something to shoot morning time.
Speaker 2: Always next time. Heys, thanks so much that nine from ten angel Ats Marcus, good evening.
Speaker 22: Hello, I'm ringing from Northland.
Speaker 19: Fra.
Speaker 7: Yes, I the awkward thing I.
Speaker 22: Lived with for a long time. Bought my first house in my twenties and in Terrace, and then from my late twenties had you know the word out cash up now sar your house moved down to christ Church and I did that and looked around for a bit because for me coming from Auckland, the city was coming back to front so where the eastern suburbs was pretty much like well, not our eastern suburbs in Auckland, but I found that the closer got to.
Speaker 7: The airport, the railway lines and the.
Speaker 22: Your big pole lines, and that that was the richest suburbs. So normally in Auckland you go to Manory and that's your poorer.
Speaker 7: Suburbs and so forth.
Speaker 22: But in christ Church that was where the western suburbs are wealthier, so that took me a while to get the head round. But aside from that, got there settlement and took me about three years and ended up buying a place over in Littleton. Loved it, loved the community. Had an earthquake, the dad rocks out of nowhere and I'm thirty eight and there's a lot you're coming home, which is back up to North Island. What I left, unfortunately, was that I bought the place down there at market and with the earth coake they would only basically pay you back the rate of all value, so you'd lost and you'd lost. And in staying that, I'll come make up to from Ray just to actually get my foot back in the market. Like I knew, I couldn't afford Auckland. And I still have days where I think, yeah, I go down about twice a year and I love the place. It's some of that, but again it's the concern of like, oh, worry that. Okay, jump back into where am I going to be?
Speaker 2: So you've moved around a lot plan Sorry, you've moved around a lot.
Speaker 22: Not really, because I've just been Auckland, christ Church back up.
Speaker 2: To from Ra so not really, it just sounds like it was a very busy itinery would you be worried about would you be worried about would you be worried about another quake in christ Church?
Speaker 22: No, I'm probably worried the fact that I'm not thirty two anymore and fifty one just bought a place and for me to sell up and go back down. I'm not fearful of another quake because that could be anywhere.
Speaker 2: What seems to be people from Auckland moving up There are people from there moving elsewhere.
Speaker 22: People from Auckland will been moving up here.
Speaker 19: I know that.
Speaker 22: I suppose reason being is that you can get into the proper market and be close to the water, you know, like to the carco or a carcraon all around that area. You got Wypoo and so forth, And it's quick to get back down to Auckland if you wish you away or want to go down to town or so forth. And you do have the airport, Like when I go down to christ Church, I go to the Sommery Airport straight to Auckland then onto christ Church and I get really good flights if I book a head But I actually like this time of the night I will go and trade me and I start looking like random, like what can I afford for where I live?
Speaker 7: Like what I've got?
Speaker 22: And I'm actually in the up around Omoru tomorrow and destinations which I haven't actually looked at. But when you look at it, I can actually see where people you know, where you can spread yourself out to think, well, I'm going to have a lifestyle and in a good solid base.
Speaker 23: So tomorrow.
Speaker 2: It's the funny sort of towns. I don't know. Yeah, I I guess it depends on the days you're there. Actually, doesn't it.
Speaker 22: Well, if Omor is always good because you've got steampunk, and if you're into steampunk, into the Victorian thing, it doesn't matter what.
Speaker 2: I find that a big negative for the town. I thin I'm having people with top hats and goals. They freak me out. Honestly, I think it's got to be one of the most banal things I've ever said. It just is a massive negative for me.
Speaker 22: So where are you based again?
Speaker 2: Oh? Everywhere? And I'd like to go into it too much Angeler, but I'm stay not a steampunk that's I'd like to say. I'm down on bluff, but nice to hear from me engine. We're just ambling towards the news. People who want to talk after eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nine two nine two to text if you want to come through. Oh, I see there's a TikTok video that's shocking people with an update on the real rules on how to play Monopoly, which means if you land on a property and don't buy it, then it goes to auction. Probably it's a rule, but all I can tell you there's some brilliant board games out there. Out of all the board games in the world, Monopoly would have to be the worst. There is no joy Monopoly whatsoever. You just roll your dice going from terror to terror. Kids enjoy it, adults hate it. It is the worst of the board games, Marcus. The most prime wasted space anywhere and ever across the country has to be the middle of every roundabout. What would you like to see on big roundabouts. We couldn't open a bar because it's hard to get to. Trees are pretty good, aren't they? Tussocks? I think that works, doesn't it, Marcus? In the middle of roundabouts. I'd like to see street signs with arrows and towns or suburbs, all in plain consistent texts and a sculpture, a piece of art significant to the area. Really, I've never really worried about what's in roundabouts. But you want to talk on any hours of time to come through people cracking to an eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine to nine two to text. If there's something different you want to mention, feel free. There is a full moon also, which is exciting edge a certain edge to the conversation which I quite like. And also a discussion about well, I don't know what that discussion was about, about what happens at the end of the news. News in Sport two five past eight apparably the only place in the world that does that. So yep, listen and learn people. My name is Marcus Good. Even together it's something different you want to talk about. There was a back topic on Monopoly, terrible board game anyway, but do get in touch is I say eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nine two nine two to text. By the way, they're calling the Irwins Australians Cadeshians. I thought that was quite good, all stage managed. Everyone's obsessed with them. There we go he hadn't heard that before. But get in touch people if you don't talk. My name is Marcus. Welcome. So when I start the whole ball rolling for this hour some of the other stuff, I can tell your time and dates and what why today is special. There was a road snowfall warning for porters Parceland and passing the Crown Range. Love the Crown Range. It is International Links Day. I never know what that is. Wild Cats where do they live? Where's Lynx live? But would would it be South America? Don't know, don't know much about links. That's probably why I need to study it for today. It is Caught on the Cobb Day and German Chocolate Cake Day two thousand and two TV series American Idle Day Bud. I don't know who the winner was. Was it Reuben Stobart? Or was at Kirie Clark's And you might know the answer to that should it come up on quizzes this day? And nineteen eighty two E t The extraterrestri of Lester in theaters. That is a movie I've never seen and I have zero interest in seeing it. I've seen stupid pictures of the creature in the bike basket, never liked any of it, But there we go was today in nineteen eighty two, forty one years ago. Do they ever do a remake? I don't know. So that's what's happening people. My name is Marcus Headled twelve, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nine nine two. By the way, Smith and Coey's will be closing now on June fifteen, that Sunday. He've's got four more days to go. It was supposed to go intill July thirty one, but most of the remaining stock has been sold and it's now full of empty shelves. So it seems as though the end of year sale went much better than they thought. Must have reduced the prices too much. Good selection of beauty, lingerie and shoes left, and a good range of men's were in store. Nice building. Don't know what's going to happen to it. That's Smith and Kay. That's your last chance. I ever wander around there. Although it looks pretty depressing. I thank the information about the train, Marcus. We can use wood and christ Church as long as it's burned in an approved log burner. Marc's a little bit of users. Shunt trainers hit a truck in Auckland. Thanks for that. Originally from Auckland, left having lived in two other cities in the North Island through my career. On returning from a three years overseas assignment, I settled into Needed eight years back. Best decision I ever made. It's big enough to have essential service, got a real vibrant seat and close enough to enjoy all that scent Tiger offers. Marcus good evening, Marcus and Daniel will change your mind when you see ET. I think you may love it. It's truty, magical. Well, if ET is so good, how come they've ever made a musical of it? I remember exactly where I was. I watched it was eleven years ago and it was shown on the Warnaka Town Hall, which was on the main street as you drove down the hill into town. We all sat on long wooden hall chairs. The train just went past here and in Vcargo. I love it and wish they would bring the Southerner back. Love your show, Melissa. Nice to hear from you, Melissa, I said. There was some more talk today about some mirror candidate wanting to bring the Southern the back. Yeah, well that's not going to happen. I can tell you that now clearly only because no one would catch it and a Costa King's Ransom was changing platforms and the likes. But anyway, Marcus, we're currently living in the Bay of Plenty, but are planning to move to Opha. Wow. Fantastic wee town with a strong community. Can't wait to move and leave the traffic and Todonger. It always seems to be the theme. Beautiful bridge, nice town, Opha. Wow. Great. Just get rid of the dairy cows in the Mahona here and then you might be into a big thing. But anyway, Yeah, Wayne, Marcus, welcome, thanks for calling. Good evening.
Speaker 24: Yeah great, that's great.
Speaker 2: Good Wayne. How are you going all right?
Speaker 19: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Good good.
Speaker 24: I just called you mentioned people moving from the north folt itself on them. We moved from Tarranger to cross Reach at the start of this year, just for something different. Really, our kids are down here at the cross at Kenebary Uni, so we just moved down to be closer and support.
Speaker 4: Then really gone.
Speaker 24: Yeah, yeah, my wife's a teacher, so she's just leaving here and there and I reckon oz and in mine, so yeah, I just come home for two weeks and then fire doors for two weeks.
Speaker 2: And so you're so your employers don't care where your bosses don't care where you are for five four doesn't matter, right Nah?
Speaker 24: So yeah, it didn't matter for me for jobs. I don't have to try and get another job down here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and the and the and they'll fly you from anywhere in New Zealand, will they?
Speaker 24: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was just going to get myself to Brisbane, Okay, I understand.
Speaker 24: Yes, that's quite convenient because I can get direct flights from Brisbane to cross Chach. We're in Tarang. I got to go in Auckland and then spend the night in Ookland Import and then Trager in the morning.
Speaker 2: And did you have a house there? Did you sell a house and buy one in christ Church?
Speaker 3: Nah?
Speaker 24: We've still got a house in Tarango, Yeah, and pet Mara were and we're just renting it out for a year, that's the plan, just to see what happens. We don't know. We're just renting the house just north of Crossis and Cliply and yeah and joining it down here.
Speaker 2: Do you think you've made a decision yet to stay?
Speaker 24: No, not one hundred like it down here there are some advantages like more flights, uh, you know, good, closer to the kids. Another reason, Yeah, yeah, well far Les traffic a bit. Yeah, I used to hate the traffic and tearing that so well.
Speaker 2: You got that, you got the I mean there itself would seem a good reason to move to me.
Speaker 24: Yeah, but I don't have to put up with it now, with my roster and stuff, I can please myself.
Speaker 2: So are you kind of open to moving permanently?
Speaker 6: Are you?
Speaker 2: Or we'll just wait and see.
Speaker 24: It's just yeah, wait and see. Really yeah, we're just given ourselves a year see if we like it. It's it's definitely a lot colder. And I would have brought firewood tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's that time, isn't it. How much how much you pay per meter?
Speaker 24: I just got two thirds, so I've got a third of Pine and as sead of Oregon and those one hundred and twenty five dollars.
Speaker 2: Okay, be cheaper than that in South. It'll be much cheaper in South. And way nice to hear from you. Thank you for that, Marcus. I've heard through Key. We were there doing a case study doing a train to Helensville. It'll be run by the Glenbrook Vintage Railway. I see there there is some sort of a advocacy to bring the train out. As far as who were Pie, I think, or coome you and who are Pie? They're almost the same. But I mean it works. It works if there's congestion. If there's congestion, a train works because it will beat the traffic. But there's no congestion between in v Cargo and Christian And the reality is when fablies go from Invacabo to christ Church, they want to have their car when they get there because they want to go into town and the train finishes way out in the WAPs. They want to go up to Hamner. They want to do all sorts of things. People don't want to travel without cars. And for those that do want to travel without cars, the backpackers or the elderly or kids, there's the bus there for them. Until the bus is jam packed. There's no point with the train. People don't get it. They've got a they've got they've got a strange romantic view of the railway. I love the railways, but a pragmatist, the one they want to concentrate on the moment is the one between Hamilton Auckland. That's going well. It's continuing to build and get more pesters in. They want the one from Todonger. They're the ones you want to focus on. Where there's areas of huge population and a huge amount of congestion on the roads. That's where you're training to going to work markets. Marcus, welcome, good evening.
Speaker 5: Hi there road rail bridges, Eh, yeah, I've I encountered one the many years back on a brass monkey motorcycle really to the South Island. I don't know if you've heard.
Speaker 8: Of such a thing.
Speaker 2: Yes I have.
Speaker 5: So we traveled from you know way wherever we were to the Iderburn Dam and oh, yep, that's the one. Coming in. We zig zagged but went over the Lewis up through McKenzie Country. I think coming into Hoka ticker was a bridge that had a.
Speaker 2: Train trace and that's now gone. That's how separated. Yep, that one's gone.
Speaker 5: Yes, well I I crashed on that due to the railway on my motorcycle.
Speaker 2: Dangerous, a terrible things.
Speaker 5: Oh it was like it was my poles, you know, I just did n counted such a thing. I thought, oh they're all you know, some of us and we zoom zooms are coming in and I said, ah, railway tracks from the middle.
Speaker 9: Of the bridge.
Speaker 5: There was a funky bridge too, with the you know, sort of the sides to it that looked a bit gothic and I've just had it wrong. My wheels dug into this thing. This is a good yarn actually, and my bike stabbed banging against the side of this when I had a tank bag on the motorcycle that jumped off, went down to this river below, floating off. I was bettered when my colleague stopped run down tried to retrieve my stuff. They had my fairy tickets, my wallet, everything, you know. Grass monkey entry still with me.
Speaker 9: Yep, it's good.
Speaker 5: Get down there. And there was a couple of dudes under the bridge there. There was an older guy and a young bloke almost web footed, and he said, ah whatever, and we're running after the thing. And he swung me up and got my bag back. God bless him come back and and he said what are you reackoning about? That's uncle Frank to the other guy and he said, where you got shrom? So you know, well we've come from Wellington, but you know I'm from Orphans and the wound and have ever been Uncle Wound and Uncle Frank his uncle nsaid are they they hung out there? They saved saved the day for me. They got I was a bit better than Bruce. My bike carried on.
Speaker 2: Of course the bike wasn't there make.
Speaker 5: That bike was a one hundred GB five hundred Ye?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 7: Did you get? He scrambled these days?
Speaker 5: But it's luckily I haven't smashed it into any break.
Speaker 2: There is another road. There's one on the there's a road rail bridge and Hindon and the on the Tirie Gorge railway. That's the other one that you might have come across on your way to Tura. Who did you come across that one?
Speaker 5: And remember I think I might have Actually we did bit Yeah, so where.
Speaker 2: I could hear crickets in the background.
Speaker 5: Where are you Auckland? Auckland said, he mean this crickets and they've come under the hares.
Speaker 2: The buggers buggers. Evening, Richard, it's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 25: Yeah, hi, Marcus. You mentioned the new road that had opened today or yesterday. Why hasn't he got a toll moment?
Speaker 2: Because I think they kicked up Bobbsey dying den the verk and they had meetings in their campaigned to the government and they didn't have the guts to do it.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 25: But you see, Torona has two toll roads. Hamilton has the expressway and there's no toll on that. Auckland has one in the north. I think there's a toll on that. But down here in toront we are two.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you asked me why, and I told you they might best understand that's why they kicked up and might be a bad I think there's four toll roads in the country.
Speaker 25: Three one, two, three, I think, and we're going to get the fourth one with the toe Roung Northern Link. It just seems very very unfair that we're going to end up with three, Auckland one and nowhere else.
Speaker 5: Has a toll road.
Speaker 2: You could move to denner Vig.
Speaker 25: I have thought about moving, certainly have my boy. Yeah, yeah, it's a possibility. Yeah, but just just interested in my Okay. They kicked up the sync.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Yeah, that's why, and that's my saying. They kicked up a real stink. It was quite big on talkback as well. Owen good evening, Oh goody, hi, hi, Owen.
Speaker 13: I was talking about the rail is the subject is rail.
Speaker 2: Oh, the subject is all over the show tonight. But there was some discussion about rail and I see the Southerner will ever come back because there's no point to.
Speaker 11: It all right.
Speaker 13: Well E Cam was looking at a possible commuter system between Rangiora and Rollinster. Needs interesting track and they want to get it done within the next couple of years. The problem with that is a lot of the track is single and on the northern line, going through some of the richest suburbs Spendleton, you've only got a single track next to a bike path and they were talking at possibly wanting to double tracking. The other problem is that all the signaling has done from Wellington and they need to relocate it back to christ Church like they used to forty fifty years ago. One of the signaling was done at the old christ Church.
Speaker 2: Railway had still it with remote signaling, couldn't you. I don't know, okay.
Speaker 13: I was looking reading up the history of railways in christ Church and it was quite a system of track. They went to a little river, they went to Leaston, Southbridge, they went to Oxford, they went everywhere and they just ripped them up and I just thought, well, why in the resource that would have been.
Speaker 2: And not only did they rip them up on that, when the quake happened in christ Church, which was a great chance to rebuild, and they completely blew it. I remember speaking to the guy interviewing them who was behind the whole rebuilding of the NBC of christ Church, And the problem was, I don't think they had any idea or any faith in what they were doing. I don't think they realized how big christ Church was going to become. But they could have built a rapid rail system. They could have built a center based and it could have made I mean, Christchurch is a great place, don't get me wrong, but they blew it when it came to rail. I mean they had to rebuild the town anyway, why wouldn't you build an underground or a fast system. It was it was a complete dereliction.
Speaker 13: Well, the biggest mistake they made was moving the rail station. It was then moving the Northern line onto the main South when it used to connect to the Middleton line. Yeah, the stakes have been made and that's because of previous national governments doing this.
Speaker 2: Or because we know in the national governments are always very much supported by the road Transport Lobby.
Speaker 13: Yes, definitely, there's so many trucks on the road, especially when you're going to say, through Kaikoura, through what's the path that goes past hand the springs. Yes, trucks. Virtually a convoy of trucks. Billions of dollars spent on the city rail loop in Auckland. Well that could have been spent.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't get me wrong now, and that's a worthwhile thing. That's a great thing that's going to revolutionize Auckland. The thing is you can do both, Marcus, are we tippit? During the construction of the Tiahu Turanga the MNUA two Tallada Highway, workers on earthed moa bones. The discovery was made in twenty twenty one during excavation work. The bones, belonging to at least two smaller mora are found, along with other bird bones. The discovery significant because moa bones are rare fines and the site where they were found as expected to be of great significance for the region. Thank you for that. Maybe it's Marcus welcome, good evening.
Speaker 11: Yeah, good, Marcus has tiva the West coast here. Listen, I live in christ Church. But you know when they run the Coast to Coast. It goes to Graymouth and it stops at Graymouth for three hours or four hours, and then they get on the train again. And then they go through Mowana and you know Lake Brunner.
Speaker 3: Through Tira.
Speaker 11: There's there's a railway line from Graymouth to Hoker Ticker and it goes over the Tira Macair which is another bridge. It's got a railway line in it. And then they go down to Errahua, you know, getting towards Hoker Ticker and there's another one there. But I don't know why the railways don't run the Coast to Coast to Hoka Ticker. You know, Hoka Ticket is a more lovely place than Graymouth for tourists because you can go and do a lot down the Hope to Taggy like. You've got the Jade fat Tree, the Greenstone fat Tree, you got souvenir shops, you've got lovely restaurants. And I come from Graymouth. I was born and bred in Graymouth, and I just don't don't know why they don't use that line because it's only they only use it. The railways only use it for Fhill two south like to Hope Beca. You know, they have their tankers on a on a rail on the rail line, you know, and that's all it's used for. And you know, there's a lot more to the West Coast than just going to Graymouth. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I think, I think, I think the problem with the Transalpine, right is those people go from christ Church to Greymouth and Beck in the day. It's a really long day. Yeah, I know, but that's the trouble with it. And by the way, with those bridges you mentioned, right, yeah, they are now separate. They're not road rail bridges anymore.
Speaker 11: Aren't they.
Speaker 2: No, I thought that, Tira mckel No, No, it's all they're all separate now.
Speaker 11: Oh well, that's better because I.
Speaker 2: Remember it used to be on that movie Goodbye pork Pie. I think it was on that and the train came down there on that. Yeah, and that was a legendary kind of scene. Harry Harry, Yeah, great movie. Ye, that's that you're.
Speaker 11: Yeah, No, I'm on board and bred West Coaster.
Speaker 2: But it sounds like it sounds like you should get back there.
Speaker 11: I am. I'm going back. I'm going to go bush them and build a log cabin in the bush and a lifestyle.
Speaker 2: When are you going to do it?
Speaker 8: TV?
Speaker 11: Oh, well, there's not many years left in me now. But I used to work for the Dominion Brewers and gray Mouth, Yeah, and I used to go. I do the pubs from Kramere to hast Wow, and it was them and good because.
Speaker 2: You paint all you paint all the pubs.
Speaker 11: Yeah. I do the maintenance on the pubs. Yep.
Speaker 2: How many would they be between hast Well? They all dB pubs or their Lion pubs as well.
Speaker 11: Well, there was TB hast Hotel and I did thirty five motel units, plus the managers, plus the main bar. And I used to go down with the tanker driver, you know, so we'd I'll leave about five o'clock in the morning from Graymouth and go south and he'd he'd have a tanker and he'd have keys, and he'd also have a trailer of created beer and we'd stop him. I'll give him a hand and it used to be a good little trip and we'd see all the publicans.
Speaker 2: You know. How many pubs would you be looking for? How many pubs would you be looking after Caramere and Hearst.
Speaker 11: Oh, you'd be looking at hope to take a the Greyhound there are tearing a care it would be probably fifteen pubs.
Speaker 2: What a great job.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and I loved it. I loved it. I meet all the Republicans, and you know, it was that sort of atmosphere with the people, at least the d V hotels that you know, you've got a real friendship with them.
Speaker 2: Hey, t Bow and you might find this, you might find this interesting. Someone's just texted me. Apparently the Graymouth Hoker tick A Branch railway line is not passenger certified, isn't it.
Speaker 11: I always thought that because they always yes to have petrol tankers and timber on it on you know.
Speaker 2: I think I think mainly now it's butter at stuff coming from the West West Country deer. That's money. Yeah, that's you're.
Speaker 11: Onto it, and that that that does praises the West Coast and their dairy products.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, good on your TVO. Nice to hear from you, Thanks very much. About thirteen past eleven. There we go. That's how it's done. Let's be hearing from you if you want to be a part of the show. Here till midnight tonight, oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nine to nine text if you want to come through and yeah, once again, the Southerner railway is on the news because someone's promoting to bring that back. As I said, it will never happen, Marcus. The rail tank's going to Hooker tick are not fuel but raw milk for the dairy company. Yes, I think we established that, Thank you. They're taking warm milt from the east coast to the west. Now are they to make butter? Never mind the butter? How are coffee drinkers handling? How are coffee drinkers handling the price hikes? Probably the same as chocolate lovers who can't afford a decent sugar fix the situation. I tell you what's up in price, butter, coffee, chocolate, olive oil, all because of the extreme climate. Yep, it's not the way you thought it was gonna go.
Speaker 18: Is it?
Speaker 2: Coffee, butter, chocolate, olive oil? Marcus. I'll be on the road tomorrow. I'm trying to mar here. I'll try and tune in Sarah. Thank you, Sarah. If you want to talk on hear Marcus till midnight tonight. How's it all going? I really thought t Bone was going to name every pub between Carameir and Hearst. Thought I could have done better than them. He didn't get fat Toty. Seemed like it'd be quite a good job for t Bone doing up pubs. Brilliant. Apparently someone taxi is a paper hanger as well, So the why isn't it? Oh wait one hundred and eighty nine nine to detect monument. Someone talked earlier on about the Casker Tears new series of that. Good on them for keeping going to tell you what must be a tough year for them, the courts and all that when it's your business. So The Field Days is on from today until the fourteenth. A Mystery Creek for those who don't know. Mystery Creek used to be history Mystery Creek quite interesting. It used to be a dumping ground for old World War two aeroplanes. Yep, that's right, I've learned that from this show. Now there is rainfall snowfall warnings for Porters Pass and Linda's Pass and the Crown Range overnight from tonight this day. In two thousand and two, American idol dabude and this year in nineteen eighty two, et was released in the one of those movies I've never seen. By the way, too, Smith and Curri's is closing earlier than it should because the sale has been so successful. You might want to let me know how that went for you. What did you buy? They've got linge or a left shoes and men's wear. Well, I hate to say, but I always thought the men's were there was particularly a particularly weed selection, and I for thought that might be one of their problems was the choice of men's We didn't really resonate. It never was never quitch for what market they were going for. Like this, it's always changes though, doesn't it? Maybe that they knew that better?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Interesting, I wonder what the price of railway sleepers was because a while there that everyone was redoing their gardens with the railway sleepers, weren't they That was a great thing. That's a dugable, all those railway lines in the eighties and the seventies, and there must have been garden centers full of railway seeds. Now they're very hard to get one hundred dollars each for a railway sleeper. There must have been millions of them gone through into garden centers for people to do kind of there gardens in their villas. While am I talking about that? I quite like a dis case about railway sleepers. Also, people moving from the north end to the south under. We want to re address all the top I don't know what you want tonight. It is a full moon and it's cold. There's also the situation with seals, the seal silly season. They're all coming ashore and nesting. I quite know what they're doing, but yeah, it's the silly season, they say. I know there was that one seal that got hugely upstream on the Kluther was up as far as the to a pack of punt I don't know what the fourth inland a seal would be. That might be something that someone's got some information about. Yes, I'm after your calls tonight. People, You've got something of interest to say, And I guess the definition of that is what is interesting. Well, remember there's others listening, but it might be more interesting than me banging on. So if you don't want to talk tonight, it'd be good to hear from you. There's something different you want to mention. What is that? People get in touch? Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty you can tell me the reason why I should go see et. Well, they wouldn't be going to see it, would you. You'd be actually watching it on YouTube. I presume he says a few of those movies I've never seen, But after a while you kind of think, oh, well, actually I've missed the boat on that one. Auckland to getting electric ferries for Devonport and for Half Moon Bay. They look all right. They're made locally, which I thought was quite interesting. I think some of them are made of and nui and some of them are diesel electric. I'm not in Kylie sure how that works, but I think they've got international orders for those. And maybe that's our new thing, that Hamilton Jet engines in them, carbon fiber composite. It's exciting. Maybe they have the battery, maybe the batteries to get charged and put on shore. I don't fully know all the details about that one. But anyway, if you don't want to talk Marcus till twelve, good evening, Mary, It's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 23: Hi Marcus. I just wanted to talk about one of my favorite programs on TV. Yes, I'm hearing yourself on the radio. I can't reach down there. I'll lose my hot water bottle if I do.
Speaker 2: Okay, well I can see that set up now, yep.
Speaker 23: God, And it's absolutely and today was one of the best this evening. It's a better fellow called Drew Pritchard.
Speaker 2: Oh you Drew and Tea.
Speaker 23: Oh yeah, well they had.
Speaker 2: Love it, love it.
Speaker 23: Oh got on you, got on you. I know there's another man somewhere. He couldn't something went wrong with the programs a couple of weeks ago, and and he but anyway, Oh it's exquisite. And some of the houses they visits, and but this was all about he picked up these beautiful antiques. God go into these big fancy houses, and he says wildly as a fox. He knows exactly what he's doing. But it's so engaged, you know, every the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Although I am I am reading somewhere that he's lost all his money. Drew brought some big flesh house to try and renovate and it didn't work out for him. Now I know. Yeah, it's hard to know, because it's hard to know. If you're seeing a current of an old TV series, I can never keep up. Sometimes I've seen them before. It's always quite complicated. But yeah, I wouldn't mind it a bit more of an update what's happening, because for a while their tea wasn't there on the show that he was back of it.
Speaker 23: Wasn't he Yes, so I noticed that, and somebody else was. And then those guys he has working for him that do out all that, they're just you know, it's just the whole, the whole thing. And of course you see all the countryside. But no, this has been in front.
Speaker 2: A huge I've learned a huge amount from watching that show. All the old manufacturing places it's that, of course, don't but it's an amazing it's amazing look into the history of industrial Britain as well, because you see all the old factories and woolen factories. It is extraordinary. I love it.
Speaker 23: Some of them are still going. And he you know, and he.
Speaker 17: Knows so much.
Speaker 23: But I know, I'm so glad, but you know, I sit there and watch it. But no, I wouldn't have missed that tonight for quick.
Speaker 2: No, No, what channel? What channel's that on?
Speaker 20: Mere?
Speaker 2: Channel?
Speaker 3: Was that on?
Speaker 7: Mary?
Speaker 18: What was it?
Speaker 23: Must have been one? I think?
Speaker 2: No, okay, I'll keep it on that, thank you, Mary, Jared, It's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 16: Sheldon Marcus, second time.
Speaker 2: Caller Jared to hear from here again.
Speaker 20: Yep.
Speaker 16: Early this year I moved from Auckland to christ Church Great and so main reason I did it was just for a change of lifestyle. I was in Auckland twenty seven years, which is too long for anybody to live there.
Speaker 2: Are you are you? Are you older than twenty seven?
Speaker 16: I'm a lot older than twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, yep, okay, I understand, yep.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 16: And so I was struggling an often for a few years, and I knew I needed to make some changes, but I had trouble just working out what to do and how to do it. And so I did it. In February. I finished my full time job and I started to get my house ready to go into the market, and I found a townhouse to rent here in christ Church, and so I moved down in February. It's just me. I'm single with no kids. The cat flew down with me and she's down here with me, and yeah, it's good here. It's definitely a change from what I'm used to. That's what I wanted. So it's working out quite well. So my first South Island winter and Yep. It's cold, but not unbearable by any means. But yeah, it's colder than the North Island ever.
Speaker 2: Was I think it takes two I think it takes two years to get used to the climate change.
Speaker 16: Okay, yeah that sounds of that, right. Yeah, so this is this one my first experience of the cold winter, and yeah, we'll see how it goes from here.
Speaker 2: Did you sell the house at Upland, Jared?
Speaker 16: Yep, it's sold a few weeks after I moved down.
Speaker 2: Because that's quite a fun Did you think twice about that? Do you think maybe I'm not going to sell it until I've made the decision, because then you can't go back.
Speaker 16: Or I changed my mind so many times about selling the house. How am I going to do this? Should I find a job first somewhere and then sell the house or do it pretty much the opposite way, And so it's a bit of a risk. But how also quite quickly, I didn't get a great price for it, but I did it to move on with my life, not to get this price for it. So yeah, it's all working out quite well. I've just got to find a job now, but.
Speaker 2: It people in christ Church.
Speaker 16: I've got family here.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep? Is it we originally? Is it we're usually from?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 16: I've only ever lived in totng and Auckland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, well yes.
Speaker 16: I've got my older brother here and my two nieces, so it's really cool to be able to spend more time with my nieces and my brother.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And do you think do you think it's a permanent move for you?
Speaker 17: Oh?
Speaker 16: Hard to say, but I'm happy here for now, so yeah. Yeah, time will tell.
Speaker 2: And you'll know when you're settled, because then when you go to leave, you won't want to. That'll be the thing that's the tail a you think, Oh, well that I'm happy here. Nice to hear from you, Jared, thank you, ha past eleven it's called it that janets Marcus welcome, Hi dam Marcus.
Speaker 11: Hi.
Speaker 26: I love Drew's program as well.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I actually prefer it to that that sentimental garbage. What do they call that? That the repair shop? I always think that's a bit too mawkish.
Speaker 26: Oh no, I like that one. Sorry, it's a bit sad because they hold my stoorways cry.
Speaker 2: That seems a bit. That seems about heart stringing to me. I'm not into that.
Speaker 26: Oh you're a funny boys.
Speaker 19: Now.
Speaker 26: Yes. The other my other favorite program is Saturdays and Sundays and I think it's Channel eight name as Drew's program on Saturday and Sunday, and it's about the family in North Yorkshire Moors in their house. They've got about six children in this little cottage and it's so oh so, it's like it's the best story I've ever heard. It's just so beautiful and the children growing up on the farm and oh are they are?
Speaker 2: Are they off the grid? Are they without power?
Speaker 26: I don't know. They've never sort of talked about that.
Speaker 2: What's it called?
Speaker 26: I don't know that either. I never seemed to get the beginning of the program. I just sort of happened by it. But it's in the afternoon Chanel eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not called Happy not called Happy Valley.
Speaker 13: Is it?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 2: Our Yorkshire farm?
Speaker 26: Yeah, that Yorkshire farm.
Speaker 2: Our Yorkshire farm is at it?
Speaker 26: Yeah, so you didn't know, Well it's in Yorkshire. It's a farm Yorkshire where I used to live.
Speaker 11: No, you don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know. You traveled.
Speaker 26: Oh, Y's been all over the place, lived in all sorts of countries.
Speaker 2: What took you to Yorkshire?
Speaker 26: Well, they've got a chop with the Lord and the Lady Earl of Mispra their cart on Blue Chef and they're looking after their six children.
Speaker 2: They don't need much do They just eat sort of cheese on crackers, don't they the blue Bloods?
Speaker 26: No three course meal, three every meal?
Speaker 2: Like what like what stuff would they eat like beef Wellington or something?
Speaker 26: They might have done once? But it was all called on blue That was my that was my specialty. So I was hired as a called on Blue Chef and so the children were school boarding school most of the time, but when they came home from school I had to sort of supervise them as well and fell in love with the oldest son. Him and I had a lovely time when he was home, right, And yeah it was in mister Castle, great, big huge. Then, Yeah, that sounds like.
Speaker 2: That would have made a good TV series. That's that's what about a.
Speaker 13: Good were you?
Speaker 2: Were you in your Were you in your twenties?
Speaker 13: Then?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 26: Early twenties?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 11: You want did it end?
Speaker 13: Well?
Speaker 26: Yeah? Oh well I was only supposed to work for three months because then it gets really cold and they go overseas, of course, and when it's cold and it gets snoweded. So but I ended up being there for seven months, and then you know it wasn't I couldn't stay on because they were going off on holiday. So wonderful seven months of my life, I tell you.
Speaker 2: Do they not take a cart? Do they not take a cart on blue Cheft when they go on holiday?
Speaker 26: No? All the hot places and keep warm?
Speaker 2: Now, now, jan before I cut you off, what's your shopping at Farmer's story?
Speaker 26: Yes, so we went there today and trying to find some warm tights, you know, made from wool or.
Speaker 2: Thick hard to get these days.
Speaker 26: No, they had them. I brought them home. I bought about four or five peers, got them home and unpackaged them, and I could hardly you wouldn't get your one leagon and so tight, and they were the they had I think they were called the extra tall and tighters. And it cut your circulation after sure, but not that tight.
Speaker 2: Could you sort of could you sort of just slowly get yourself into them over a course of time?
Speaker 26: No, No, had cut your circulation off far too tight.
Speaker 2: Maybe you need maybe you need leg warmers.
Speaker 26: No, I got them from the warehouse and no words. It's all elastic, no hated.
Speaker 2: You might you might need to get back on the needles, Jan, Well.
Speaker 26: I might sew, so if I can thread the needle on my sewing machine. Anyway. I also bought what I thought was some togs and the sail and I get them home and they've got no bottom skirt, no crutch, no bottom notes.
Speaker 2: Where would you be wearing that? Where are you thinking of going swimming in those?
Speaker 26: You wouldn't want to be a bit rude, brilliant.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a lot of that information called but lost the words with that one, Jan.
Speaker 1: For more from Marcus slash Nights, listen live to News Talk zed B from eight pm weekdays, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.