Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk set B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Take it on the pad in it's arick, It is out, the test is over.
Speaker 3: Couldn't smokes a beauty?
Speaker 4: It is out here, you gos. This delivery has.
Speaker 5: In the US as you go.
Speaker 1: On the front foot with Brian Waddle and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talks Dead b at iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello on the front put back, will you again? Cricket season might have come to an end, but we don't come to an end.
Speaker 4: What have we got for you this week?
Speaker 2: Does the black Caps coaching framework need changing? Are there too many back up coaches on tour?
Speaker 5: Even?
Speaker 4: Is it coach needed?
Speaker 2: Is it more mentor or scratit distrole?
Speaker 4: The eighteen have.
Speaker 2: The best offseason option for some time to prepare for the future. Remember this recalled some outstanding batting from fifty three years ago. England cricket gets another knighthood. Boy, they've got a few. We've just got one and we celebrate Joanna Child Why Jeremy.
Speaker 4: She's a sixty four year.
Speaker 2: Old who debuted for Portugal in the T twenty against Norway. Becoming the second oldest player to do so. I hope I'm able to play cricket when I turned sixty four.
Speaker 3: Ye, well, she's youth, doesn't she.
Speaker 6: I mean, we're going to give her a bit more time, surely to get into a shop making.
Speaker 3: How did she get on? They were playing.
Speaker 6: Norway, weren't they I always follow those games.
Speaker 4: Yes, I missed it.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately it wasn't on the internet. She played three matches in most this is my sort of form. She's scored two runs in the first game, old four balls in the second match, but didn't take a work at And do you want to know something.
Speaker 4: Else about a Peter hollidays with us again?
Speaker 2: This was her first recorded competitive appearance at the age of sixty four, playing for Portugal.
Speaker 5: Excellent. Did she break down in her over because she only bowled?
Speaker 4: I think the game might have been won by or having.
Speaker 3: She kept shortening a run up?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean sixty four. I mean, that's that's quite plucky from Joanna really, And as the saying goes, better late than never.
Speaker 2: Indeed, But I think though the sort of performances we need to celebrate, because you know, I'm pushing sixty four as as you two guys are and you know we we're probably thinking about retirement rather than playing anymore.
Speaker 7: At this stage, I couldn't think of anything worse than going on to a cricket field and embarrassing myself, probably ripping a hamstring off the back of the leg or something, and then.
Speaker 3: Just walking out, just walking.
Speaker 5: United States States. That bus has left the station for many of us.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and for the first time ever. That's the most amazing part. You'd never played any computive frigate. Well, I'm Joanna, we love your works.
Speaker 5: On that point, it got me to thinking, who are some of those older, oldest debutantes? And I was reminded from reading the Don Bradman Book for Boys or whatever it was, of Bert Ironmonger, who debut at the age of forty five years in nineteen twenty eight, went on to play thirteen tests. But he wasn't the oldest. There was James Southerton forty nine years old in eighteen seventy six. Even so there it just it just yeah, back in the olden days they could.
Speaker 6: Play a bit later, who who was our oldest? Most Seeing you've gone into this in some depths, I.
Speaker 5: Went down a rabbit hole, as they say, and it was it.
Speaker 4: Was a batman.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was a person called mcgurr who.
Speaker 6: Was ah Herb Herb and who knows his middle name? I'm the only one probably it's a musical. It's a musical name.
Speaker 3: Hm h M.
Speaker 6: McGirr played in the nineteen twenty seven Mozart Good guess no Mendelssohn. Mendelssohn, Yeah, Herbert Mendelssohn. Gosh, you jump out of your little crib, wouldn't you if you when you heard that? Ridiculous?
Speaker 3: Yes, but he was. He was a bowler.
Speaker 6: I think his dad actually played for Wellington Wadds. You better get that out. Yeah, he was an opening bowler. I think in the eighteen hundreds.
Speaker 3: He wasn't bad. Actually he played.
Speaker 6: Against I think he played a couple of Tests in the thirties, didn't he didn't he moose?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think he got a fifty odd in that match. And he was an opening bowler as well. And he went in the twenty seven tour, which was Tom Lowery's team. Our first side to go to England. Took the may just to go on the boat, didn't it. They set off from about March and arrived in sort of May. At some stage they had to go across the states. They landed in San Francisco, had to go across the states to New York and then catch a boat, the SS Majestic it was called, and went to Southampton and played I think.
Speaker 3: They played I forget the name of the team wads.
Speaker 6: You remember it was the first game they played at Lord's and that was a kind of an educational tour. How good are we? Can you teach us anything? And they did extremely well. Some good players, you know, Cess Daker got lots of runs. Stewie Dempster was in that team. Jack Mills, the opener, was in that side. Tom Lowry, that big guy used to wear the hat and he was a k Ken James was the keeper and Bill Merritt was selected on that side the youngest player eighteen years old, fooled everybody and got over one hundred wickets on the tour. Fantastic stuff, really, once you get into those stories, they really are.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And marriages lasted a lot longer in those days, didn't they. I'm off for eight months on a cricket tour, Darling, we'll leaven The more serious matters. I'm wanting to know whether the black Caps coaching setup is suitable for purpose at the moment, or is the change that we talked about last week and the possibility that Gary Stead might move on to other jobs for New Zealand Cricket a major way of changing things we reckon mosters Gary Stead? Would he be the ideal man to take on this high performance role that has been vacated by Brian Stronik and we look for other coaches to spread around the team.
Speaker 4: Do we need two coaches?
Speaker 5: Do we need a high performance role? Would be a question I'd ask, But that's probably somewhat moot. I noticed that Gary staid he's been a seven seven years. I believe that's probably your end of view tenure. I think it's white noise when you're talking. I think definitely time to move on. I noticed that he's got a bit of an each way bet going by, suggesting that he might like to hold keep the red ball cricket, probably while he's trying to search out and see if we can get a franchise, gig or something. But I'm of the views that yes, we do need to change, not because necessarily criticism of Stead but change is probably good now, fresh eyes probably very important. My thoughts would be that it should be the od I fifty over and red ball go to one coach and then a specialist twenty twenty coach, because I think that vastly different games now, And that would be my thoughts, because increasingly the twenty twenty is getting getting I'll probably play more of that we play anything else, So that would be Those would be my thoughts, and I would love it. I mean, there are the standards out there of players like ron Key, and I see Rob Walter is possibly going to be available and so on. But I'd love to see if Gillespie still around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he turned down the option, you know, and I might change his mind. Something counted against him because he gave up the Pakistan job very early too, didn't he.
Speaker 4: But it's a new era, Jerrea, isn't it.
Speaker 2: We're starting to develop new players, and instead has had a hand in that in terms of the development of players. So what Moose says is probably a fair point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I tend to agree with the lengths of time. I think after seven years, you know, it's how do you continue as a coach to grow and supply new ideas and ways of doing things, and growing a player and taking him to the next level and hearing things that they haven't already heard. My gut tells me, if you haven't done that in seven years, the chances of your doing it in the eighth and the ninth and the tenth years are fairly slim. And so you know, while you but you still hold a lot of intellectual sort of knowledge and personal knowledge, which I think was Bracewell's point. Wasn't it about trying to keep someone like you know, Gary Stead in the mix if you can, and maybe look at it, maybe Brian Stronix, but I don't know. I don't know his job description. But maybe a director of cricket I don't But you know, there's more time to oversee the development side perhaps and to keep.
Speaker 3: A hand, a steering hand on things that are happening.
Speaker 6: I mean, he seems to me to be a good worker and that might be something that certainly he could provide for New Zealand cricket. As far as do we need specialists, well, most sides seem to have got him now wards, haven't they. There wouldn't be many sides without a coach nowadays. I think Stead has kind of removed himself from the day to day This is what the reverse sweepers fellas. You know, he's taking a much broader scope about the you know, and you talked about a strategist and I think that's much more his kind of role nowadays. And so, you know, I think maybe it would be nice if we could get another one whether whether you know, two coaches.
Speaker 3: Some people don't like.
Speaker 6: That, and you'd certainly perhaps you know, you could lack cohesion between the two, and therefore you and players are hearing mixed messages. But you know, coaches have different priorities and importance of attack. And another one says, no, let's be more measured about the way we play. The communication between the two, would you know, have to be important but not over consuming, if you know what I mean. But we've used other ones rang and a Heirath. We've used Ian Bell for batting, sir claim mushtag, haven't we? And that's been very useful.
Speaker 2: How much coaching, though most is done during a season, isn't that done at the build up to the season, when you're getting your game ready for a season? I know there's no build ups. Now they played twelve months of the year. But how much coaching do you do or you as a player domestic cricket, Jerry as an international player, did you have somebody that you spoke to when you're facing a problem? How do I sort this problem out? You know Martin Crowe had his schoolboy coach and he was his name.
Speaker 4: Harold Whitcombe.
Speaker 2: That's correct, yes, And how much coaching would you need to do for Martin Crowe or Caine Williamson?
Speaker 3: Now, well, I would have thought, I mean when we played.
Speaker 6: Of course, we didn't have a coach until Glenn Turner arrived in nineteen eighty five. Until then it was very much up to ourselves as players and talking to other players, some of them have pointed out had little mentors I would have sought today if you wanted to not have those people there. Then the technology has enabled communication with videos and just the way you guys are talking now, you see, I mean, I'm sending out sort of signals smoke signals to you guys from here. But but you know, it's possible to be in touch, isn't it, even though you're off site. I mean, you would miss things like you know, not getting the crowd and the heat and the practice conditions, and the travel and the food and the sleep and so on. You wouldn't know about that so much. But as far as if you have your person that you're talking to, it is possible to be in touch.
Speaker 3: Surely.
Speaker 5: I think by the time you get to international level, do you need a coach? I don't think you do it, because if you want, your ability will have got you there and you will have been in still with it. Also, from what I gather these days is that every young kid now has a coach, private coaches. There's a preponderance of them from all accounts, so they're getting lots of coaching from the young age upwards. The main thing I believe around it is actually it's more what's going on in your head, and that's where the coaching probably is required, which is more the strategies or or giving people the environment in order how to succeed, to to create team cultures and all those sorts of things. That's the fundamental piece, not when not not not when you you know, de picked about upright, and do you bring it down down correct? So those I think those things, there's technical things are less important, although they do crop up. And I remember Ross Tyler, I think, was having difficulties at one point and went to Martin Crow and fixed it up. But that's that's at the margin, I think. So the work of a coach is sort of an interesting thing, and having four or five of them on any any given touring party just seems and they over here perhaps not always necessary, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they make the team photo.
Speaker 2: You know, you've got to have an aerial shot to get the full team photo these days, don't you, because it's fifteen players but twenty two coaches or.
Speaker 5: Advice, Well, you do need someone to put the cones out and pick the balls up and the dog front. Yeah, yep, correctly if you connect the dog for us. But I mean, I'm making light of it, but in fact, hey, it's wonderful if you've got all of that. I mean, some of us when we were playing, our biggest problems were just absence of ability and you can't change that, whereas these guys have got plenty of it.
Speaker 6: And the thing is, though, guys, haven't we reached a sort of a stage that now the focus is on professionalism, and not just in cricket but throughout all sports and lots of other things. And so what happens is the game is generally deconstructed and broken down into the different skills that there are, and there are specialists that are hired to advise and assist players to improve in those areas. I just feel that's quite a now, I mean, that can be useful. You're right to ask the questions, I think, because I think that's easy to accumulate more and more and more and more around you, and the players then start to stop thinking about their games and they rely on other people and slips of paper coming under the door at night when you prepare for the next game. And so that's a bit of a danger, it thinks to I think.
Speaker 5: You picked on the use of some specialists at certain points which were boarding from local territories, like was it here from Sri Lanka? That has real merit because if I'm a spinner bowling spin in New Zealand is quite different thing from what it would be or or Sri Lanka. You know at what pace, what speed, what's my length? All of those things become really important, and that's where you get the benefit of that intellectual property, if you will, from the local specialists I think that's really valuable. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, it's something that we need to look at and I'm sure over the next few weeks, even months, when Gary Stead's job is completed, we will find that out. There's not much for them to do at the moment in terms of a New Zealand team because they're all heading off to various contracts. What there is to do, though, is a coach is needed for a New Zealand A side. Now, you wouldn't believe the fun I've had trying to find out this New Zealand A side. New Zealand Cricket media person told me yesterday that the team is being named on the twenty eighth of April and they're leaving on the first of May for Bangladesh, which makes it a very tight schedule. Now, whether or not the team has been named, I don't know, but I've spoken to three players who are already in it and it hasn't been revealed publicly.
Speaker 4: I can't work out the reason.
Speaker 2: If you've got a team going to the Bangladesh and South Africa, why don't you just get it out there and celebrate it and let these guys have their name put it forward.
Speaker 4: But it's going to contain a crop of developing players.
Speaker 5: Jerry.
Speaker 2: I've sent a list of names to There's some good players in that list that have had good seasons of first class cricket and it's great that they're getting this opportunity.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I received the list was by Horseback and it's an interesting group of players, isn't it.
Speaker 3: My first thought when I saw.
Speaker 6: It was, of course that it was a developmental side, not so much what I would call an a team. There were no Henry Cooper's Tom Bruce he might be overseas at the moment. There was no Jacob Dahee overseas, No age As Patel that you know, Brett Randell, that side that beat Australia in two matches in Australia a couple of years ago. They just Dean Foxcroft is not there. Doug Bracewell is not there. So it is very much a developmental side. And whether that's come from the Pakistan the recent series and the performance that some of our younger players had and the confidence therefore has grown in them to be, you know, selecting a side like this, I don't know. I don't whether they're selecting a different side to play South Africa. I don't know, as you say. I looked on the New Zealand site it wasn't there, which seems a bit weird. But yeah, look there are a range of players there. I questioned a couple well. I questioned, why is a Shodhi there?
Speaker 3: Now? That's interesting.
Speaker 6: I don't know what the schedule is, whether he's he's very much regard as a white ball player these days. Addie Ashock, the other leg spinner, is also there. Do we need two legs spinners? Those kinds of questions. Is is Sody a development player? Is he there as a semi coach? I don't know. You know, there are some left armors there, which is good to see Ben Lister back in the team.
Speaker 3: I think if Addie.
Speaker 6: Ashock has his Sodi, why doesn't Why doesn't Jaden Lennox have age as Patel there?
Speaker 3: You see?
Speaker 6: I think there are some there are some conundrums about the side. But having said that, the names that we would expect for youngsters and Rhys Murray, who's there?
Speaker 3: Muhammad Abbas is there? Nick Kelly?
Speaker 6: Some of the guys it isn't aged dependent Nick Kelly's thirty one, Joe Carter, the captain of the red ball side.
Speaker 3: I see that is he's thirty two at that place for Northern.
Speaker 6: Districts, and you know there are some older players there, Josh Clark's and we know is the name as well. We probably I don't know Dale Phillips quite so well or Christian Clark. I've looked them up to see where they've come from and what their performances have been like, but none of them have had the sort of the games and the number of first class games. That's say, Google Line, who was in the A side had one hundred and ten ages, battell as one hundred and ten first class Henry Cooper opening bats and last time against Australia sixty eight. These guys have got thirteen fourteen. You know those kinds of numbers. Zach Folks eighteen, Jadan Lennox fourteen. He's thirty. That's interesting, isn't It came to the game late perhaps so he's out the left arm orthodox So look, it's an interesting side. Let's see how that's not going to be easy in Bangladesh. I wouldn't have thought very good for them to play spin bowling.
Speaker 5: I like your point around it being in development, so I rather than a son. I agree with you that on that score, the sensus is it's an opportunity to provide experience in other countries quite different from what a lot of these players will have had, and that must be invaluable for building a depth in the game in New Zealand. Uh And, and I'm greatly encouraged by what what what I'm seeing in terms of the broader depth across it. You know, watching a couple of first class games recently in particularly, you know, watching Wellington beat up on Cannery a beautiful thing. But this, you know, the cricket was was was very good. And so if this is the cream of the crop, there's also quite a quite a u a spread of really good talent all through the game. And much much credit must be given to to all the other coaches in the provinces because you know, what you're seeing here is is building great depth and balance for for for the game left arms in particular. I notes I'm really pleased about that bringing in a new keeper like Curtis hefe as opposed to from c D. Whereas the Dane Cleaver, who's been a very unlucky chap I think not getting more cricket, because fine cricketer, but maybe ages against him. But I'm thrilled that in zed Ce are making way for these A tours because I think that coming off the back of that one in Australia, that's been invaluable for us for on earthing the people like the big quick from Canterbury God yeah correct, I mean yeah, and some others. They're fantastic, yes indeed.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's important that they have this offseason competition because they don't get it. If you go away with the New Zealand side, now you're right for the tests the one day as the teath readies and that's it. There's no warm up match that you can have a net and then go out and play Sussex on a tour of England or you know, a selection in India or South Africa or wherever you go. So it's great that they've got that and we'll try and back down someone involved with the team coaching.
Speaker 4: I presume it'll be Bob Carter and Paul Wiseman. They're the high performance coaches.
Speaker 2: So we'll do some investigating and perhaps talk about it next week.
Speaker 6: What that position is very important, isn't it that there's the one thing that's missing for us.
Speaker 3: If there was a place for a coach.
Speaker 6: Younger players going away to an unfamiliar country and unfamiliar conditions could easily you could see need after a failure or two to have someone around to put an arm around the shoulder and sort of supply some confidence, talk about how to play against these kind of players and these conditions. I would say that's more the place where you'd need a coach rather than the black Caps.
Speaker 1: Brian Waddell, Jeremy Honey on the front foot.
Speaker 2: We're going back in time, remember this ninth of April nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 8: No, how is I had the lake cut there down little bit down the one the third man we'll go before having it goes into the boundary now and that's center double sent three.
Speaker 1: And a double ten three.
Speaker 8: He's but at the morn he's got two.
Speaker 1: He's supporting.
Speaker 8: He's got three now three supporters coming onto the field to count slate turn on his double tent three one rather feels really coming on and not the fastest and runners he's really digging. The longest is time to get out to the middle.
Speaker 6: But he'll get there.
Speaker 8: That lay Turner on his double tent three.
Speaker 9: And at a cover by winnage the part of the end Jarvin and I caught by winners that cover off the boarding of over and this long and fine opening monitor finally ended at three hundred and eighty seven Garding though that cover a.
Speaker 4: Bol turn Terry Jarvis.
Speaker 2: That was a great partnership. Three hundred and eighty two on the border ground.
Speaker 3: Now you better there, yep, I faced you. There was on the tennis courts, didn't I I couldn't get your way. Well, you were going. You were going subterranean, boy, I tell you.
Speaker 4: So many times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, and.
Speaker 6: Actually it was interesting to get Well. That was Tony Cozy a young Tony Cozier doing the commentary.
Speaker 3: I think words. Yeah, no longer with us.
Speaker 6: God rest is yeah, God rest and rest his soul. Look, they were all draws, weren't they? In that there are five test matches, all draws.
Speaker 3: The first two.
Speaker 6: Turner got the first two hundred and the first match in Jamaica. Congo got one hundred and sixty in the second Test in Port of Spain. Then they played the third Test in Barbados, the one that New Zealand really could have won. They bowled Westerndies out for one hundred and thirty tails seven for seventy four. Terrific bowler. He was too, you know, at his peak. And then New Zealand got four hundred and twenty and they were going nicely, had a few wickets and then there was a partnership between Charlie Davis and Garfield Sobers. Sobers nicked one jar for some reason inexplicably a good slipper dropped it went on to get one hundred and forty two Sobers and Charlie Davis got dropped by Turner, another good slipper five hundred and sixty four.
Speaker 3: And then Dowling left the side. He was the captain. He went back with a back problem.
Speaker 6: And then they played this match that we were listening to the Fourth Test at Border and Georgetown.
Speaker 3: They it was they in those days.
Speaker 6: They said, man it bouncers there, u bowler, bouncer there, it'll bounce twice on the way to the keeper.
Speaker 4: It was a dead dead.
Speaker 6: West and he's got three sixty odd and declared on the third day why would.
Speaker 3: You carry on?
Speaker 6: Just carry on the whole five days, you know, And that's when Turner and Jarvis started before lunch on that third day and they carried on.
Speaker 3: They had a riot. I know that Clive Lloyd, who was the local man, was run out and.
Speaker 6: They then they bombed tails down on the boundary with bottles, and so they all the New Zealanders came together. He was a good man to bomb too. He was trying to drink the sort of the little bits out of the bottom of the bottles.
Speaker 3: And they all met.
Speaker 6: Together in the middle of the ground and then a girl ran out to try and run it, Charlie Davis, who had actually not run the single, and he was run out as he turned around, had to go back Clive Lloyd, and of course that's when then they when everyone rioted, so the policeman on the horses were there. They had to clean up the offerings they put out that morning with a shovel, and then the game resumed and then Turner and Jarvis just carried on, just carried on, and one hundred and sixty three for none at the end of day three two forty six. At lunch on day four, and that was when jav flice to drive. We heard him caught by Greenwich there in the covers for one hundred and eighty two. So New Zealand Day four four hundred and ten for one, Turner two hundred and ten and then and the Congo sixty one not out Turner got out in the last day, Day five, New Zealand five hundred and forty three for three declared that was the fourth draw and then the sixth the last test they added on a day and that was a drawer as well. New Zealand clung clung to plung on in the end, so they said of Turner, actually I found a little quote that he was the apostle of masterly inactivity, which I kind.
Speaker 5: Of like, Yeah, the the the the thing that I remember as a as a as a young kid, because I'm naturally quite a lot younger than both of you, was actually the rather the rather lovely West Indian accent of Tony Cozier coming through on a somewhat crackly wireless very evocative times past and listening to Yeah the job and Glenn Turner grinding out those runs and Bruce Taylor getting those wickings and Barbados, great memories against a pretty good West Indian team, all very good. Yeah, Garry Sobers and geez, some good players on their Greenwich Wow good Good.
Speaker 4: Was a good player too, and didn't quite get the recognition.
Speaker 2: I suppose the thing I could never work out about that tour was Taylor's got twenty seven wickets.
Speaker 4: And four Test. Yes, did he play the first Test? And I could never work out why.
Speaker 2: But then when you look at the course, you probably understand everybody was getting double centuries and you wouldn't want to be bowling in those situations.
Speaker 3: He talked his way out of it once. But you're right, yeah, yeah, I mean you look at Howarth Hendley.
Speaker 6: Howarth bold the most overs nearly four hundred, Congdon Bowld the next best, next number of overs two hundred and so you can see with those two bowls what the pictures were kind of like slow, low, horrible things. Cunis bowl one hundred nay, Taylor only bowl one hundred and seventy odd overs got the most wickets. As you say, Jack Alabaster was on that tour, only bowld fifty overs.
Speaker 3: Morgan joined Murray.
Speaker 6: Webb was on that tour because you know, Dale Hadley it had been injured a bit, Motts and Da had at that stage retired and the three we don't play on Sundays. Murray, Yule and Pollard, we're not in that team at all.
Speaker 3: So they had a few new guys. Jarv was one of them.
Speaker 6: Collins got injured on that tour and tragically lost a daughter as well, so he went home as well.
Speaker 3: Ross Morgan went to replace.
Speaker 6: As a replacement for those players, so they were down at bowler a left arm bowler in Collins as well.
Speaker 4: It's interesting talking about pace bowlers. Of course you mentioned Murray web.
Speaker 2: I think he played in that first game because they wanted someone to get to some pace and bounce on Sabina Park. I remember a lovely story about Sabina Park. A fellow who played in that Test match against New Zealand Uton dow.
Speaker 3: Ut.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fast ball.
Speaker 2: He was pretty sharp too, but he only ever played four Test matches. But they played Australia his last Test match on Sabina Park and Keith Stackpole just put him all around the park. He kept bowling at Stackpole's hook and Stackpole took him to lunch basically, and after lunch they were walking around the ground. You know what they were like in the West and they always very smart with their quick comments and people would yell out and the sun bloke had a sign that was painted up. It said eleventh commandment, dow shalt not bowl and that was typical of the humor of the people of the Caribbean and it was the end of Dow as a pace bowler. The other interesting story of the week was news that came out that Jimmy and is set to receive a knighthood. Now it was awarded to him by Rishie Sneak, and he hasn't been the Prime Minister of the UK for quite some time. There were some hold up as to why he hadn't got his knighthood.
Speaker 4: But he's going to.
Speaker 2: Become the fifteenth English player cricketer to get a knighthood. Deserving of a knighthood, you.
Speaker 5: Think I'm saying, I believe so. I mean, his record stands for itself, doesn't it. Frankly, longevity on all conditions, whether it be in India or whether it be in England. There was outstanding player, yeah, phenomenal player. Yeah.
Speaker 6: There are some people who would say sportsman knighthood, you know, that sort of thing. It's not appropriate. But if you are going to and they have clearly in the past. I think there's no doubt Jimmy Anderson needs to join that revered list of players. An absolute artist.
Speaker 3: I would have saw.
Speaker 6: Over seven hundred Test wickets, one hundred and eighty eight Tests. I mean that's extraordinary. You know that must be the most for an opening bowler in the Tests. Surely, so accurate and so precise swing what I call interrogating last second betting, because you know you've got to keep adjusting to the swing.
Speaker 3: Are you going to play it or not? And so on.
Speaker 6: He's had different versions, like every player who plays that length of time. He started off and here he had good pace, and they tried to change his action. I remember at the basin wads they at lunch time, he wasn't playing, and they used to pull out all the road cones. You'd be pleased with that, And they actually went onto the base and reserved to try and change the line of his run up. And then so he returned to his original one and his natural way of bowling. Originally, he did blow a bit hot and cold early on. I mean went on he was just you know, irresistible and went off. He was a bit over the place. But then that poned and he added reverse swing. When he went to Asia, so when the ball wouldn't swing conventionally, so he had another skill there to use. And then instead of having to wait for the ball to deteriorate to get reverse swing, he learned about the wobble ball that oscillates a little bit as it goes down the pitch, which a lot of bowlers use nowadays. And so they seem the ball seems and they don't know which way and orders the bowler orders the batsman.
Speaker 3: But the key to it all is the same as Richard, same as Richard.
Speaker 6: Hadley, where the ball pitchers, Sir Richard, where it comes from the consistency of where the ball is pitching. It's all down to not all down to movement. It's where the movement comes from. And very it's interesting too. He's a bit of a contradiction really off the field, quite a shy I know, I know Jimmy quite well and have done little things with him, and he's a man of few words, but on the field very verbally aggressive and the hence you get that response from you know in Australia where they said they were going to break his arm, you remember that, and they told him straight to his face while he was batting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, I remember, but certainly deserving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember working with him in the last World Cup. You were there too, Jerry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was wonderful in the in the country box, you know, being able to spend some time with him. You talk about that trip to New Zealand. They weren't going to play him in that series where he went to play for Auckland. Didn't he to try and try cricket, and you know everybody was sort of saying, well, you know, Jimmy Anderson, you know he's not worth his place.
Speaker 4: Well, different story now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well that's when he came back. He came back at the base and wads with my broad and that's when that partnership began, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: Yep? One New Zealander and one Australian, Sir Generald Bradman and Sir Richard Hadley. Are there any other New Zealanders that deserve knighthoods in New Zealand? I don't know about Australia.
Speaker 2: I really haven't looked at that, but could any New Zealander that there have been quite a few who are probably deserving.
Speaker 5: It's an interesting question because if you look at Jimmy Anderson. Where does one draw the line because he's opening bowler partner Broad was pretty useful too, with an outstanding record. It's I know it's arbitrary, but in terms of New Zealand that becomes really hard. Yeah. I mean Richard Hadley just just as the standout, just just be the other great standout apart from you, Jerry, of course, was Martin Crowe you know to me? To me, yes, a phenomenal player. Absolutely, and then scroll forward going backwards, No, I don't think so, would you say Bert? Yeah? Possibly read Yeah.
Speaker 6: That's the other name that came to me. Those two names from about the fifth well, the forties through to the.
Speaker 3: Sixties held New Zealand together. Yeah. Goshtare a lot from the West Indies though, aren't they guys?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know if you go are there? Gosh, you know them all?
Speaker 6: What do you I mean?
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, well that's right. Have you did you meet Clyde Walcott?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Did you meet Frank Warrel?
Speaker 4: No, I missed him, he was unavailable.
Speaker 3: But I mean Larry Constantine.
Speaker 4: I missed him too.
Speaker 2: I wasn't born then, but I mean in recent times they've gone through viv richards Richie Richardson to Kurtley Ambrose, et cetera, et cetera. Courtney Walsh didn't get one to do, which was interesting. But they've they've gone around the islands and I see, you know, I mean that's a recognition, I suppose of their contribution to Caribbean cricket. But yeah, it's it's just interesting. I mean the point you made, you know that between sport and you know, knighthoods and those sorts of things that particularly in a team game where a lot of individuals have been helped by you know, good second slippers. I mean, how many catchers were taken off Richard Hadley's bonding Ian Smith? Would he have taken a few?
Speaker 3: Would he be worth and he certainly would, He certainly would.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know it, But I mean that's ah, look, it's okay, It's okay. I don't I don't think it's is it overly important? I suppose it's really it's it's it's recognition, isn't it recognition of the length of time and the and the skill that they used while they were there.
Speaker 2: Yep, contribution to the game was significant and they were acknowledged for it. Coming to an end of another edition on the front foot. I just wonder, guys, have I missed something a news release from the ICC, perhaps, But I was watching and it's great to be able to watch county cricket in the middle of the night when you can't sleep. I draw the line at the fact that I watched for three hours the other night. I don't know why I couldn't get back to sleep, but I was watching Worcestershire play Essex because I was interested to see Jacob Duffy, who'd been padded all around the park in the first game and he seemed to find the rhythm in the second game. But there were a couple of guys batting, a fellow by the name of Pepper. He might have been looking for salt, but he was out in the I p l and Harmer were batting for Essex, and a fellow in pads were standing at the non strikers in a runner. Have you seen a change again to the rules that allows for runners?
Speaker 4: Or is it peculiarly? Peculiarly England most do you know?
Speaker 5: You've got me start?
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 6: I don't think there's been changes to the international game. I haven't seen anything from the ICC to say this is what we're doing, usually suggested by that sort of committee. But whether it is in the in the first class game, the county level, which you're describing about over and over in England, England. Yes, I think I said to you before they would be leave of course that they're the only ones who tell the truth, so that the Batsman would say, no, I definitely can't run. I definitely can't run. That's really bad, and so I'll need a runner. Thank you very much, mister, mister Pepper. We'll give you a runner.
Speaker 3: That's okay. I don't know, yeah, exactly, Yeah, no, I don't know about that.
Speaker 5: Words.
Speaker 2: We'll be able to talk cricket because there's plenty of it coming up, and hopefully we'll be able to watch some of it from the other side of the world. I think England are due to plays in Barbwe who are currently playing in a Test match series against Bangladesh. Against Bangladesh, Yeah, Bangladesh, that's the one, and New Zealand will be sending an eighteam over to Bangladesh to pick up the slack from that. Otherwise, see you guys, I'm sure can spend most of your time either watching county cricket in England or the IPL, which I'm sure both of you do.
Speaker 6: Avidly, no, not no have It wouldn't be the word I'd use, but I don't watch it at all, not at all.
Speaker 4: Good good. That makes three of us. We'll have to watch the county game. Thanks goodbuyes talk it.
Speaker 3: To me boys, oh hey, take it all the forties of summer.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk st B, listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio