Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Francesca Rudkin and I'm Louise Aria. And this is season three of our New Zealand hei podcast The Little Things, a podcast where we talk to experts and find out all the little things you need to know to improve all areas of your life and cut through the confusion and overload of information out there, because we all know how overwhelming it can be. Today, we're going to talk about women and our careers and the challenges we face from progressing our careers in middle age, juggling the paid and unpaid workwomen do, and having the courage to make a change and maybe, you know, find that job that's a bit more fulfilling.
Speaker 2: Did you always know what you wanted to do?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Just do you know now what you want to do? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I want to lie on a beach, But in previous episodes we found that that's actually not good for us long term.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: I guess the more I investigate these things, the more digiti or yeah, I get itchy feet. So I'm not finished. I have got something else in me, and I just don't know what it is. I never knew what I wanted to do. I always admired those people who at the age of ten, said I'm going to be a doctor or I'm going to be a farmer. And they knew exactly what they were going to do, and then they went off and did it. They kind of annoyed me as well a little bit. I never had any idea what I wanted to do, so I went to university, studied something I was interested in, and then completely stumbled into television and sort of got an apprenticeship and learned on the job. And if I hadn't, if they just hadn't been that opportunity, I don't know what I would be doing right now. I think we probably both studied in that time where it wasn't necessarily a vocational thing, and I think the pressure is on now for it. It was more affordable, it was a little bit moreable, more affordable. It's quite funny, though, because we both have teenagers who are finishing school this year, and we go out of our way not to ask their friends what they're going to do next year, not out of not out of a lack of but because of that pressure on young people to know what they want to do and where they want to go.
Speaker 2: I just think it's so tough.
Speaker 1: Well, I witnessed it with my twenty year old. He's in a third year of his degree now, but I witnessed it when he was in year thirteen. And I've vowed and declared, and I said to you, I'm not going to ask that question of any year thirteen's going forward. It is the natural question. Every single person asks it of my daughter, and she's not even one hundred percent sure, and it's, you know, getting close to making a decision.
Speaker 2: It's stressful. It is stressful. Are you happy with where you're at in your career?
Speaker 1: I am most of the time. When I start doing research for things like this FRENCHISCA. And it was the same with the mental old episode, I start, a little bit of feminist anger does build up in me, a little bit about just the way things have turned out, and perhaps that I haven't made decisions. I've gone with the flow a little much, you know, a little too much. Yeah, I think, I said to you. You know, I'm working for the same salary I was on in two thousand and four when I went on maternity leave, probably responsible for managing more money for the organization, research outputs, all that kind of thing. And yeah, it's not It's fulfilling, but not financially fulfilling, and that is one of the things we're going to talk about today.
Speaker 2: I think, what about you. Yeah, I'm happy with where I'm at. That's good.
Speaker 1: But you know, it required me to, like, I'm loving radio and this is a relatively new career for me. I've only been doing it for five years, and it took a lot of courage to say yes to it. You know, Like I got the call when I was in my mid forties, mid to late forties, someone saying, Hey, would you like to give this a go? Would you like to work over the summer in a holiday show. It's a very simple show. Would you like to give it a go? Every part of me was going, no, that's terrifying, but I knew I hate to say yes. Immediately. I knew I couldn't think about it. I knew that this was a really amazing opportunity. They don't come along very often, and even though it terrified me, I knew I just had to say yes.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I remember I remember talking about it on a run or something, and You're like, I've got to do all the buttons.
Speaker 2: I was like, this is ridiculous. They're going to let me do this nationwide show.
Speaker 1: I have no idea what I'm doing, and I can remember just before that show started, that first show, I remember sitting here at the desk going, Okay, are they going to sink or swim? Right, I'm just going to swim. I'm just going to do this and I'm going to swim. And you know, over time, more work came and I've been able to sort of start a new career in my mid to late forties, which you know, I'm very, very fortunate about, but.
Speaker 2: It did take quite a big, sort of.
Speaker 1: Courageous fay to do it and yourself, Yeah, yeah, totally. So look to give us some inspiration and information on how to advance our careers, future proof our careers, find the right career. We're joined by Joe crib today. Joe is an Experience oriens chief executive, a board member, a strategist, a gender and policy experts. He's also a coach and a career mentor and co author of books such as Take Your Space, Successful Women share their Secrets and Don't Worry about the Robots, How to survive and thrive in the New World of work. Welcome Joe, Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 3: Oh, Curra, it's my absolute delight.
Speaker 2: Lovely to me.
Speaker 1: You, Hey, look, could we start with you telling us a little about your career, Joe, because it's quite a CV and you know what kind of interesting sort of challenges you face during your career.
Speaker 3: Well, the first thing, looking at it, it probably looks very coherent, but when you're in the midst of it, it didn't seem at all like that at all. So I started out in my first roles, going to Wellington to work in policy roles, and I was I guess I had that young twenties gosh, I was going to change the world where, whether it liked or not, kind of erving was lucky enough to move up the ranks. I had my first team leader job when I was about twenty seven twenty eight, and I was absolutely rubbish at it. I was the youngest person and in the team, trying to prove myself, trying to be perfect at everything, and luckily some of those team members when I bump into them, are polite enough not to cross the road. I then was in. I guess I looked around my industry that I was working in. It was the public service. It was twenty years ago, and there were very few women, and you did never talked about your children, and it was not an environment that was going to be particularly friendly if I wanted to have children. My partner and I decided to. So I took a side step out and did my PhD while I had two children, and I was very lucky that they arrived sort of when I want to, and I just want to acknowledge that that doesn't happen for everyone. And what it really did is just buy me the time to be a mum, because I don't think the system where I was operating, particularly with in a team leader kind of role, fast moving policy, was in any way going to help me. I then went back after my doctorate and went into a general manager role again. I think I had my first actual I think we need to talk about it, quite honestly. So I had two children, two toddlers, again trying to be perfect, do you know, the perfect house. I would stay up at night and wrap presents for all the thousands of parties the kids would go to because they're in daycare and put ribbons on them, and as well as trying to be the perfect manager and the perfect everything. And I literally got to the point it didn't take very long where I one day got out of bed, called my boss and said, I can't do this anymore. And I think some of us reached that and some of us don't, but I think I was brave enough to ring up and said something has to change. Either I have to give up trying to be perfect in every aspect, or I have to find a different way particularly of doing the job, or maybe I should just quit and do something easier. I was lucky enough to be accepted into a leadership development program, which sounds very ironic, but basically they broke you down and said what does good leadership? And good leadership isn't trying to be the best and perfect everything. It actually is creating an environment where people thrive. And it took a whole lot of letting go and trust and all sorts of things, but I did step up into that space. And then you don't have to work a million hours and have the whole I guess organization on your shoulders. So that was a particularly stressful and difficult time. I then was able to step up into more I guess sing your roles, with the last role being a see of the ministry for women. When I did that, my husband and I decided we'd have five years on five years off. So he took heeded his PhD. I'd just like to say, for the record, took him five years. Mine took two and a half. When I was doing it part time, do you think there's a wee bit of focus here, Like there's nothing like having to breastfeed at two o'clock to get your PhD down.
Speaker 2: Don't you think those soft skills of mother and come into place.
Speaker 3: So there's a focus, there's a I would when I was at the ministry for a woman, I sought out woman who wanted to work part time because I think they would just come and laser focused perform. They're amazing. So rather than seeing part time as a as something negative, I went searching for it and we just created an organization. We mainly had a on Wednesday everybody should be in so that we have some connection. And then then it didn't matter when people work, and by gosh, we performed. So yeah, and so interestingly, I had the five years and then we sort of jiggled. I've had enough of the big roles. I stepped back into it and started my own consulting business, he stepped up into more technical roles. I was still around, if that makes sense. I run my own business, and I think through my teenage kids years it was really important that often come into my office and download, which I don't think they would do if we were both not in the house. So I think that kind of protected us through those years. And now they're both off at university and only rang when they want money.
Speaker 1: I feel that thank you so much for explaining that, because you did right, I would have not you know, I was reading about you, and I would never have known all the trials and tribulations, in the ups and downs that you've had to go through to be we who are at today.
Speaker 2: The conversations and decisions that you have to make.
Speaker 3: You know, Yeah, and there is I guess trade offs and choices and what I think there is is a lot of learning for me. If I wanted to be in those senior roles. I completely had to rethink about what leadership was, which isn't easy, right, So you need to let it go. Let go of all the things you're actually good at, which I was quite good at technical stuff. Let it go and then learn how to be a good creative environment where people could thrive. And it's a completely different skill set and you're doing this and you haven't really had a good night's sleep for five or six years. So I just think we need to just share that. It isn't all Rosie and I have got some of stories I'd like to share that just keep it real. One of my roles was the Deputy Children's Commissioner, a role I loved. We're doing some work on child poverty and we were briefing the Prime Minister in a very small room in Parliament and I was quite close to him, and then I walked out and I'd missed a call from daycare. I had to go and pick the kids up because both of them are riddled in knits and so was I, and I probably gavens to the Prime Minister and his advices. I think we're probably you've got to keep it real, right, And it.
Speaker 2: Didn't forgotten about it at.
Speaker 3: The time, did it? And then on our bathroom mirror we had to because my husband is an engineer, so we had post it notes and when we had to comb and it was too weak, trying to get these little yeah you can out of our lives right, and and one you get the girl like, how did I miss it? Because they had quite light and how did I miss it? And then how did I get it? Of course you had your kids, and I'm sorry, so sir john Key, if you if you.
Speaker 2: Ever got that, if you wondered where they came from.
Speaker 3: And the course of your meeting, it was probably me. I'll confess now.
Speaker 1: I have PTSD with It's remember one of my children, they had them on and off for two years. They were in the same classroom for two years. And and this kid claims that they were They were in the you know, they put the carpet on the walls, and they used to sit with the head against the That's where they came from.
Speaker 2: And that's like I don't know. But my goodness too.
Speaker 3: Isn't there too that it's not It's just one of those things like the like the eyes they get what's the one where the eyes get or some CONJUNCTI. Oh, yeah, we've had a lot of fat we had doing keynote presentations with you know, big panda eyes, Joe.
Speaker 2: What generally happens to women in the workplace when they hit middle age.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a lot of myths around that we become invisible. And I do think there is ageism in the workplace. I do think there is something, and I just can I just speak from my experience. We get to the point where you really are very focused on what you care about. You know, you care less about what less people you do, care less about what people think. You know, you've got a certain amount of time left on the planet. You want to make the difference in the area. We actually become more more determined and more discerning. I'd like to throw a little bit of perimenopause and menopause in there, which can give you a nice little edge. I sometimes think it's I wish I had that when I was twenty. You know, their edge, Yeah, I agree, and you stop sort of being the nice girl. So in some ways, I think we should be a superpower. So I think we should reframe this what happens to women in middle life as they become invisible. I think we should be taking our space more because we are so skilled, so experts, so focused, and we're not going to take it. We're not gonna put up with anything. We're like the perfect employees, really, So that's certainly been my experience, and I just intend to keep stepping up, right. I can see the space, can see what's needed. I'm just going to get on and do it. So yeah, I just banish the myths, right, they're just trying to control us and put us in boxes. Let's just smash them.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: So is it then our responsibility to express that to our employers.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, if you've got some ambition, if you've got something you want to do, like you were in your twenties, you would have said what you wanted. Why would we stop doing it now? In fact, we're in a much better position. We often don't have as many child care responsibilities. Often we are able to take more risks. In fact, if you look at the research, some of the most successful businesses are started by a women in their forties and fifties. So I do think we have to fight the images that are coming at us that we're aging and there's something wrong with us and we're kind of dowdy, because I don't know any middle aged women that are to know. Yeah, I just think it's a controlled It's another part of just being controlled, right, and we should just step right the way through it with a smile on our face and probably bright red lipstick.
Speaker 1: You said something earlier about the beginning of your career feeling like you know that one person can make a difference kind of thing.
Speaker 2: I was begging then.
Speaker 1: I was always being told, Luise, one person can't make the difference. And I was going home all through my sort of late twenties in my career about that, right, And then I think I did lose that and kind of just went into the meanly of life and jaded is the best way to describe it. And I think you're onto something with the menopause thing too, because you go back to going, well, if I don't try and make a difference, what's the point? And you dropped the people pleasing but enhance my compassion, I think.
Speaker 3: Mate, absolutely, absolutely, And I have a daughter and I want her not to have some of the experiences I had coming in the workplace. I sit there and think about it when we've looked too older, and you know, the generation above or often in the leadership positions while they're not, because we are the generation above and we need to stand there and stand strong. When I was coming up through I guess the leadership ranks there was like a little handful of women like three when I were looking three or four and they didn't have good reputations. They were probably tarred with them more male than male kind of brush. And when I look back at them, they were absolutely pioneers, right, I think my hat off to them. Amazing, But I mean, there wasn't There was probably when I was chief executives, probably four or five of us out of thirty, so we're still a very small monent. I just remember working walking into my first sea meeting where they all meet, that's all the seas across, and just seeing a sea of blues pin striped suits right with everyone. They all sit the same too. I shouldn't say that, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: But do you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But there was a three or four of us, and we said, well, let's lead in a different way. Let's actually try and lead in the way let's talk about our children's let's celebrate the fact that we are mums or of it. If we're not mums, that you know, we're human. Let's bring some of this authenticity and let's support the woman coming up. Let's see that as our role. And a group of us said, if we couldn't say something polite and encouraging about a woman, we would not talk about her at all. Does that kind of make sense? So there was an unwritten rule because there's a sense of we're not going to be pitted against each other, We're not going to behave like that. We're acually go on to set a code and we've going to model that. And I think we're seeing that pay off, hopefully for the next generation of women who can even lean into it even more and be the leaders that they want to be. So hats off to those women who broke the ceilings. But now us, as middle aged women, we have to create again the kind of leadership and kind of impact we want as well. And there's enough of us, and we're smart, and many of us have got resources, and we're in positions. Yeah, we should unite and get things sorted.
Speaker 1: And it would be wonderful if we've been able to do that regarding the pay gap. But that is still an issue facing women, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It just gets me a bit angry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too, me too, Come with you.
Speaker 3: I just can't believe we're still talking about it. And it's not for having given it an awful lot of shove. You would have many of you would have seen the work that are co led onmind the gap. We really got close to having the laws in place. We still are working. I'm still working away in the background. I won't give up up. I do not want my daughter to She were times ticking right. So she's at university and she's going to hit her first job in two or three years. You want the protection that there's transparency, that at least it's giving a shove. We know it works. What we are learning is more and more about the pay gap though, so I guess in the last few years we've been able to pull the data apart and see what their Pacific woman's pay gap is, what our Mardy colleagues are pay gaps like, and more and more we'll start to understand what it means for somebody who is disabled. I think the pay gaps are just going to be, you know, an absolute crime whom we can get good data. For those who are neurodiverse, we're going to see all sorts of different like humans just find so many ways to discriminate against people based on who they are, not what they do, and not how they perform. That's the essence, right, you be paid for what you contribute, not for some box that somebody's put you into. Right, I think that all of us, if we're in positions of power, if we lead people, have an opportunity to tackle the pay gap. And it is just one decision at a time across the country. So if you are listening, and if you do have team leaders, make sure that you have no gaps, that you nothing that you can't justify, nothing that isn't completely rational in your team.
Speaker 1: From my experience, Joe, if I'm in a negotiation or over a contract and paying things like that, I tend to be so excited that I've got a job that I forget to step back and be And I've got better at it as i've got older. I've pushed back and I've questioned things, and I've asked for more. But I think a lot of the time we might get a job offer and there might be some flexibility with workouts, and we go, oh, that's so great, that's fantastic. You know, as a mother, that's really helpful. So I'm hugely appreciative of that. So I'll do yes, yes, yes, that's fine. And I think I don't know if we're really all that good. And I'm just speaking on my own behalf. But I'm wondering with women as a whole, are really good at actually stepping up and asking for that information?
Speaker 2: And what are my other equals getting paid?
Speaker 1: You know, we're just not really good at putting ourselves out there and kind of being a bit more inquisitive and demanding of our employers.
Speaker 3: Demanding, I think is the right word. Actually, the research would beck you we are likely to take the first offer, And if you talk to anyone who's in a recruitment company, they'll say the same thing. Women will take the first offer, men will ask for the second or third. And I think there's a lot into this, and I don't actually think it's just us not wanting to be demanding. There's very much a sense of if we did start to be demanding, are we're always already putting ourselves in the difficult woman category? And do you want to do that? Are we going to be typecast and stereotyped as we go? So there's a lot of things that are happening in and around the context, but one of the most powerful ways is actually to do your homework, know what the job is worth, have done your research, looked at what it's been advertised for. Ask the recruiter if there is one or hr what the band is? You know, do all your research or you're not going in there in any way emotional. It's quite a rational business transaction that you would expect. Take the emotion out of it and go listen, this is what my research shows a job and I am worth and don't say can I please have it? I don't want to be difficult, but no, I don't be difficult. Just make it a rational business transaction because ultimately that's what it is. You're selling your time and labor for a price, right, and just take it like you might go on Hagel when you want a discount off you know, your favorite shoes. Sometimes we go and ask. Sometimes we don't. Just pretend it's your favorite shoes and you want them, you want a bit of discount off them.
Speaker 1: There you go, gosh, you know that you said that band where bands do my head? And I'm in an organization where it's all about bands, And it can be the difference between you could do the same job that give it a different name exactly, and you've.
Speaker 2: Got to know those and they shouldn't be tricks like you say.
Speaker 3: It should be tricks, and that's why there's a gender paygapp right, because it's fascinating. When I talk to colleagues who are very unionized and have lots of bands, they say, well, we kind of protected from the gender pay gap, And I said, we'll go and ask where people are situated in what bands, and then where in the bands they are and see if there's any patterns, and not surprisingly there is. You're not necessarily protected by the structure. You need to know where somebody of your experience would usually sit. It is quite a rational transaction data gathering to do that as well, and it can actually then be powerful because you can argue upper band right, and that can be quite a substantial jump too. So use it as a tool for yourself as well.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Little Things and our guest on the podcast today is Joe kreb autho mentor and career coach, amongst many other things. Will be back shortly after this break. Joe, I've heard you talk about the motherhood penalty. Can you tell us what that phrase means?
Speaker 3: It basically means that even though you have some time off and often think about it, we often talk about return to work and This makes me so angry because I don't know anyone who's been at home with babies. There's a lot of work involved, right, So you're not returning to work, you're just doing a different type of work. Actually probably an easier type of work when you can go to the toilet by yourself and get a cup of d actually finished the cup of tea was kind of my experience. So the mother food penalty is that if you do take time out from the workplace, when you return, you often don't return at the same level as your peers, so the work that you've done at home isn't recognized, and often you'll go back in a part time capacity and we pay a part time penalty. We know again if the public service is a great example because you can get the whole set of data for the whole sector. Regardless, if you go back part time, you're going to be paid ten percent less than your colleagues at work full time. So there's these penalties built in, right in terms of that you've lost or your I guess any potential increments over the time that you're away, and if you want to go back into sort of a more part time perhaps even one inflexible. You're probably going to be punished for it over a period of time when we start to look at it, women don't catch up to their male colleagues usually, and so over a period of time you wear the mental motherhood penalty. And we can start to see this in our key we save our data. The Retirement Commission has done amazing work. We were retiring, you know, with twenty thirty percent less than somebody who've done a similar job. And now that makes huge differences in our We have huge differences in our life choices. Right, So yes, it's very clear, it's very well researched, it's very evidence based, and I think most of us have been through it. No, and I guess if it experienced it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'll share a personal anecdote which just blows my mind. I left the workforce to have my Well, I didn't leave the workforce today. I went to the motherhood workforce in two thousand and four to have my first child and cut me board. I was earning reasonable money on a nice trajectory within a DHB setting. I had three children in the end, did part time work for various things, and then I went back at least thirteen, fourteen years ago, and I went back on twenty to the same job for twenty thousand dollars less, and I have still not caught up to the salary that I was on when I went on intentionally leave and real dollar money. You know, that means I've gone significantly backwards because he's twenty and that time. My husband just followed the trajectory, right. I mean, he's not the same, he's in the private sector, slightly different. But I just that's when I get I always get terry when I think about that, because I just, holy Guachamoley, it's just crazy. But I'm also one of those people as Francesca was talking about before that goes has justified it over and over again. Because I'm part time. I get a bit of travel with my job that I do. Now I've gotten to go to conferences overseas and I've gotten to do things. Wait a minute, If I'm worthy of going to a conference overseas and speaking to an international audience, I'm worthy of that salary on you know.
Speaker 2: So it's yeah, it.
Speaker 3: Sounds like you I have to put your big deal and you've got to have to do your research right, and so rather than saying this and take all the terry which I understand, out of it and just make a business case for yourself and have a we chat.
Speaker 1: Right, this is why we're talking to you. We need this motivation job. I was just laughing. I was just thinking the exact same thing going loo and I'm going to have to have a really good talk to ourselves. But this is partly why we're doing this too, Frenchy Skins, because you know, we're not invisible, and.
Speaker 3: What is what is the worst that can happen? They say, no, oh, do you know? Like I mean, obviously there and you might have to think about what plan B is then, But I mean the chances are if you are both valued workers and every day we forget this. Every day we're in a job, we're more valuable. We learn more, we have connections, we're more of the brand, we're more of the delivery. So every day you're more valuable. So yeah, pitch it.
Speaker 2: I think too.
Speaker 1: When you return to work after having kids, there is a bit of wave and self confidence sometimes, Joe, you're getting back into it. You're trying to you are trying to justify. Actually, I used to be very good at this and I'm back, and that's fine. I can do this while also having the mental load of carrying a family and looking after children and things like that. So I think that sometimes imposter syndrome or there's a little bit of self doubt kind of creeps in. I think that's very natural as well.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I think about particularly my experience having two babies quite quickly. Your body completely changes, right, and all the sciences your mind has as well. You probably haven't slept well. And I just think my children knew when I had a big day coming up the next day, because that's when they'd come and you know, they'd start crying at three am in the morning. They're just knew. I think it was there their gift to keep me on edge, don't you think.
Speaker 4: Probably, Yeah, you're constantly I think we're constantly kind of living in that we don't know what's coming next, in terms of when somebody's gone to get sick, you know when you're going to get there phone call.
Speaker 3: You're always constantly on edge. There isn't a lot of downtime, and if there's downtime, you're probably sleeping. And all of this is a completely heady mix. If you wrote it down all the kind of conditions that you'd look at it and say, well, that's kind of nearly torture, not sleeping, not knowing what's on edge, when the lights are going to go, and what are you going to you know, and there's a lot to process because you're particularly for well this is my experience. My husband was amazing. He was at home for a few weeks and then he went back to his life, do you know, And it's you who kind of has to kind of juggle with or you know, often doing the huge amount of the emotional load as well on top of the load, so it's actually heading mix. I just think me and we're probably trying to keep our standards up too, like you know, no piles of washing or you know, if the cat is sick in the corner, you clean it up immediately. Like I don't know, even higher standards than that. We're putting a lot on ourselves. So I just I wish we'd be easier on ourselves and go this is actually just it would be tough for anyone. But I also think imposter SINDO syndrome doesn't go away. And all the people that I've talked to, men included, have it that it does come, and I always think of it as something sitting on my shoulder saying, we're going to catch you out. Can I again? I can tell you that if you ever think you've got a slightly mad I'll give you a story that's even worse. So I did my PhD when I had my two kids and I graduated, and I was actually had done it quite quickly, and I was quite proud of it. But I also when I got the massive, big PhD certificate, I left it in the drawer of my front dresser. But you know, have you got one of those in the hallway where you just all the crap goes? Anyway, I left it in there because I just had this sneaky feeling that university would come and ask for it back and it should be near the front door.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's total right. So it taught me years to be able to hang it up to go. Actually I earned this because I think I was in that completely fragile state right that you didn't quite believe you were doing good work. We actually I always felt like I was actually never doing anything well, kind of constant feeling of never able to do anything. I know that feeling yeah, And I just think we need to lean into it and just go these periods of your life when actually there's just going to be the reality, and the more we can laugh about it and share about it and not pretend that we've got it all together, because I think there is a we kind of. I think even as women, we share. Do you know, we make it look good, like we put the bows on the presence, Like, really, I could have been sitting having a glass of wine rather than putting bows on presents for toddlers who don't care, do you know? But I was. You're not doing it for the toddlers, right, You're doing it to show that I'm you know, look at me, I'm awesome, I'm coping. Got it going on all levels. And really I think we should just say, just, I don't know, take the photo and put it on Instagram, Well what your lounge actually looks like? And it's probably left like mine, it's got a wreck with some mondays on it at the moment, But would.
Speaker 4: You do that?
Speaker 2: I think a franchise gas too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We've talked over and over about and one thing I think I've realized is with age is literally nothing is linear, even our own fitness is not linear. Nothing is linear, So why would our careers be, why would our life at home be. It's just not like that. It's a big muddley mess sometimes.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And the more we can share that, I think, the more we're able to invite others, because I always used to. Once I got to see I can remember standing up and doing a really big keynote and saying, and I was wearing a back then it was still only like twenty twenty five. We wore dresses. I don't think I've worn a dress since COVID kind of, but I was wearing a dress, and I without any stockings. It was summer, and I said to them, if you look closely, you'll see my legs aren't shaped because I haven't had time. But I think it's really important to stand up to this big group of women and say I haven't met the beauty standards of our day. And everyone just laughed and laughed and laughed. But don't you think that's important that we kind of do that? And I even went to a meeting, an evening meeting where again I was doing a big presentation, and I gone home from work, cooked dinner. It spilt a bit of tomato source on my thing, and I still went to the meeting with it as an act of defiance.
Speaker 2: Makes sense, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: And I have never felt so good standing up and saying and owning the fact that I was a working mum. And you know what, it isn't always perfect. And if we can, for those of us in leadership positions and feel confident enough to do it, if we're doing that, do you know what, it just makes it. It makes those roles more accessible too, because you don't have to be this perfect superhuman because I don't know, I haven't met one yet. And actually it gives us more opportunities, right, You don't have to be perfect. You don't have to wait until the kids at X or you've got this under control. You can step into it because, as you say, it's messy, imperfect. Sometimes it's damn right funny.
Speaker 2: Sometimes really can be.
Speaker 1: I've just been to the fiftieth of a friend of mine who I would say is, you know, my most corporate, high level CFO. And she had this beautiful dinner with I think seventeen or nineteen people there, and as she introduced us, all she you know, I look at her and go, wow, how on earth? Like she's just a dynamo, right and got so much at fifty and so forth. But when she introduced us, all she introduced us as the people who've gotten her there, like literally everybody in that room had contributed to where she is, just not just in her job, but in her life. And it was really moving. It was one of the best. And I'm like, that's why she's still and what she's doing, because she's.
Speaker 2: So good at this stuff.
Speaker 1: But I just left floating on a cloud, and as did everybody there, because it was this appreciation and reality of the village that it takes just to raise a child, but to raise an adult. Absolutely, Joe, what if we do if we get to a point we might have been working twenty thirty, forty years and all of a sudden you think this isn't really hugely fulfilling anymore.
Speaker 2: I would love to make a change. How do you go about that? Where do you start thinking about it?
Speaker 1: Because it can be often just a lot easier to stay where you are with what you're doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, And unfortunately I think a lot of people just do that, right, And I see so many people who just go to work and it does make me sad. I mean, there are financial realities and here people are doing a great job because they're providing for their families, and I just think that's amazing. But when I have not surprisingly, I have a lot of coaching clients who come to me and says, you know, life doesn't work. What I always say is go back to your values. And we don't actually think about them very much. We think about what we're going to have for dinner and are there enough sports socks to wear to the gym tomorrow? Do you know? Like that's the and rightly so, because that's really important and just to take that time to sit back and say what do I actually really care about? And there probably is only three or four things that probably if you look back, they've been enduring, and the chances are you've kind of drifted away from them if you're feeling unsatisfied, so you perhaps your job or the way you've structured your life is moving away from your values. That's when we really if we move too far away, that's where we really start to become you know, unhappy or all the emotions come out. And we can see that often we can see that in others, right you can see they're in spaces where they're so far away from who they are. So I think that's the point. I know that sounds all woo woo and should light a candle and dance around and sing folk songs or something, but it is and I think and there are a lot of tools online that can give you lists and lists and lists of values. So just go and I think that is a really good exercise. Take some time, look at them, do it over a period of a week or so, and then go and use it to order to your life. Is my job now giving me the opportunity to live to these values? Other way that I'm doing things living to these values? And I just think that's the anchor. Whether we like it or not. We probably have made even consciously or consciously made choices that take us there. But we can also drift away from them. So yeah, I know that it sounds a bit floaty. I think it's absolutely critical because then you've got the rock to go. Okay, not if if I've drifted away from them, what is going to take me back? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, I think half the problem is actually you know you want to change, but you don't know what that changes. So that's how that's how you start taking those steps towards it. I think there are often lots of different ways that we can change what we're doing, whether it's going to your employer and going, look, I'm really loving what I'm doing, but i'd like to I'd like to step up. I'd like to go back and study. Can I go part time? And you know, would you support me in going to do some study or some retraining or up skilling or something I'm you know, so you might potentially sort of stay in the same job but find get some new inspission. Because I think it's really important that we are constantly learning.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and I couldn't agree more. And we often think of study as this like school or university, so that's this big formal weight that we take on, but I actually think about I think we should think about learning and you can do that quite easy. And a lot of the education system are being developed so that they're giving us bite sized knowledge as we go, so you could even retrain and bite sized bits you don't. You know, there's all sorts of opportunities here that goes back to knowing what you want to do. But I also think there's another piece. The world that we are going to work in is only going to become more tech enabled, and we can see that coming at us from everywhere right whether we like it. Our phones are giving us AI prompts continuously. Everything is going to have a basis on it, and that's going to end up in our workplace. So we are going to end up having to work alongside all of us along AI assisted tools. We can resist them, we can fight it, or we can understand and be useful. The more discerning we are, the more useful these tools will be. Or we may not choose to, but at least we've lean into the conversation and there is so much on offer of free, good, bite sized learning to get our heads around what is when I put something into CHETCHPD, what is it actually doing? I mean, I have zero ten My tech assistant is my was my eighteen year old son, and now he's gone to university and I'm flying blind. Do you know we're at that level of tech? But I've worked it out and as soon as you kind of understand how clear it is and what it can do, but also what it can't do and why it's going to make mistakes. And I'm starting to do a little online course on prompt engineering. How can I get the best out of AI? So I'm leaning into it. So you're kind of not afraid when change in tools comes, you're going to be ready to use them. And I just think all of us need to think about our attitude towards tools and technology and how we can use it to help us and not be afraid. Right, it's only a tool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 1: I'm involved in participant based research, which anyone involved in participant based research will realize how much it has changed.
Speaker 2: You used to beat. My boss used to say, I don't understand.
Speaker 1: We just used to be able to phone someone at home, you know, a mother post nationally. Have you got time for an interviewer to come up visit, of course I have. You know people don'ly answer their phones anymore. We're going to have to get clever and use TikTok.
Speaker 3: Yep. Absolutely alien totally and you won't need to transcribe anything again. I mean the hours and hours and hours I did when I was doing my PhD transcribing. AI will do it as you go, right, and all you're doing is checking it, So it actually is going to those kind of tools can make things easier for us. But as you say, the way we might connect with people is going to be quite different, all through different mediums, and we need to have our heads around this. And I'll take it back to being I guess a middle aged woman in the workplace. The stereotype is that will be the ones that are frightened like that man. We got to don that, like, how can this make my life easier? Right? We should be thinking what's in this for me, what's not? And for me what are the opportunities here? But also what's the downside? And there are downsides and being part of the conversation and decision making around these tools rather than having the world done to us because we haven't got this far to take that.
Speaker 2: I agree, well I did.
Speaker 1: I did have a little giggle to myself when I read the title of your latest book, Don't Worry about the robots, because I do worry about the robots. So this is obviously perfectly aimed for me how to survive and thrive in the new world of work.
Speaker 2: That's really really good advice.
Speaker 1: Joe, Hey, could we finish off by just talking about how do we value women's unpaid work? How do we celebrate the contribution of mothers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's for me, it was. It's kind of the one of the last big hurdles. Does that kind of make sense? And I don't even think it's even It's more than motherhood, right, it's the emotional labor that women do in the workplace of you seen one of your male colleagues by a farewell gift.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Do you know? So it's the it's the invisible glue that holds I think the planet together is women unpaid emotional labor, and it's invisible, right, and it's taken for granted. And as you say, it's raising the next generation of humanity. Not to say we don't have amazing dads. I think we are seeing a movement there in more and more dads wanting to be involved. But there still is a default, right, and there still is a whole lot of norms around that we still don't have. Even though they can, men don't tend to take their parental leave. I just think it's way more than it's the emotional load of who organizes Christmas, who gets to get togethers, who looks after people when they're sick, And if we could. I think that we need to kind of make it visible, is my sense. I think that's the first step. And we did have a time use survey in New Zealand in the nineteen nineties. We did it once and it was so enlightening. So people are that, you know, thousands of thousands of people given diaries and asked to write down exactly what they did all day, and it shed a light on just how much was happening in and around our communities and how important that was. I have advocated that we do it again because unless we see it, we can't and quantify it and make it visible. All this amazing work isn't valued, right because it just happens.
Speaker 1: It just seems like something that should happen each decade. I'm omened for that. I'll participate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll run it, I'll do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I also think that amazing work that happens, say in our Pacific and Mali communities, in their amazing volume of work and productivity that happens here, that isn't necessarily measured by our GDP. Again, it's just making what actually happens and what actually matters invisible again, right, So the only thing that we really see data on is when we've been paid an hour, and that just is such a small piece of what happens in this amazing country.
Speaker 4: Joe.
Speaker 1: We're all about the little things and making small little changes in our lives rather than trying to sort of turn them upside down and everything. So, just to finish off, if you were going to give one little piece of advice to women, maybe middle laid women who are sort of thinking about their careers at the moment and where they want to go and where they're sitting right now, what would you say to them?
Speaker 3: I would say, poor, a very nice glass of chardonnay or sev one evening or a non alcoholic substitute, and google values and spend some time on your own working out what you actually care for care about, and then do an audit of your life and say, am I being true to myself? And then take the next step in the areas where you're not. And I think it's a really good investment and we should do it quite often, if not leave it to the point where we're tired and a bit burnt out. So just I think we look after everyone else, but I think we need to spend that little time in saying we're going to be stronger, we're going to be better, we're going to make more of an impact, We're going to make more of a difference if we're actually being true to ourselves.
Speaker 1: And I love that because if you do do that, I'm going to do that. I think you probably find that there are aspects of your life where you are really true to yourself. So it's not going to be a one thing. Oh I've got to throw it all out. It's going to be a oh I need to tweak that or I need to Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, and it's unlikely to be Thelma and Louise though if it is, but no, it and what it just does is take us back to how we are going to be the best version of us as if we are being true to ourselves.
Speaker 1: Joe, it has been such a delight to get to know you. Thank you so much for your time. We really really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's been an extent pleasure. And thank you for the amazing work that you were doing.
Speaker 2: I so enjoyed meeting Joe. Louise. I am absolutely going to pick up her book.
Speaker 1: Her latest book is called Don't Worry About the Robots, How To survive and thrive in the new world of work because I am. I am worried about the robots, and I need to I need to be working on future proofing my career. Look, I could have avoided it till the cows come home, but the way she spoke about it made me want to embrace it. Actually, she was refreshing, honest, yes and positive. I guess this is the thing I'll take away about and I love her attitude towards middle aged women in their careers.
Speaker 2: It's time, It's our time. I just like the way she went.
Speaker 1: Don't think about being invisible, don't think about being ignored at work.
Speaker 2: Get yourself out there, front and center. Work out what you want, go for it, use.
Speaker 1: That lovely little ledge that we get and look, we no longer know feel the need to please everybody.
Speaker 2: And you know, I will.
Speaker 1: Be doing the values exercise and I'll be encouraging my daughter to do that too as she sets out on her studies for next year. Thanks for joining us on our New Zealand Herald podcast series, The Little Things. We hope you share this podcast with the women in your lives so we can all get a little bit more stoppy.
Speaker 2: And demanding of our employers. Nice.
Speaker 1: You can follow this podcast on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts, and for more on this and other topics, head to enzet Herald dot co dot nzet and we'll catch you next time on the Little Things