Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks ABD.
Speaker 2: Yes, a very good afternoon if you've just joined us. This is the Weekend Collective. I'm Tim Beveridge. If you missed our politics out we were chatting about the god the outrageous case of somebody with twenty five complaints and guns and all sorts of things still not getting evicted. So you can go and over look to listen to our air interview about that at the start and talkback as well. But also we had a chat with Winston Peters towards the end of the hour about his state of the nation as well. So you can check any of our hours out look for our podcast on the on iHeartRadio or the News Talk said B website. But now, well, this will be an hour you'll be wanting to tune in for the podcast if you look if you've missed it, because this is the Health Hub and we're talking today. We're going to have a chat about a little bit about not only training methods and high intensity training and low intensity training all that, what is it high intensity interval training, that's right, but also the importance of core strength when it comes to your exercise RATIONI should you actually focus on your core because the more I learn, and that might not be very much, of course, the more I'm thinking and maybe as the decades go on that maybe core strength is possibly a lot more important than you gave it credit for. When I was working in musical theater, all the ballet dancers were doing pilates all the time, and they showed me a couple of the moves, I thought, well, that's pretty easy, and then I could barely move. This was quite tricky, and I thought, maybe I need to focus on my care. But anyway, we're going to talk about that, and also take your calls on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty text nine two nine two, and you want to get on the blower because usually what happens is everyone packs out the last ten or fifteen minutes and then complaints they can't get to speak to the one and only Greg Pain. Did I Greg?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 3: You going?
Speaker 4: Good afternoon? I'm very well happy Sunday.
Speaker 2: Isn't it a gorgeous time of year. We're having a spectacular beginning of the bottom.
Speaker 4: I've got a little little fifty cc scooter and I came along Tommacky Drive and autumn doesn't give me a bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the sparkling white and matar beautiful. And I saw the yachts out there I was looking to I was almost thinking, it's not windy enough because you're out there. What do you kite surfer? Aren't you wingfoil? A wingfoil?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Same thing?
Speaker 4: Isn't that same? Same?
Speaker 2: Just you're surfing with your feet on a board.
Speaker 4: We're all in the same camp more or less. We're out there buzzing around people annoying.
Speaker 2: Are you annoying? I'm not, but a lot of Are you quite good?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Are you one of those guys who goes shooting along and then jets up in the air. You sort of give it a yank and then the way you go you go flying up fifty feet.
Speaker 4: You're going to be pretty good to be foiling. So I'm good enough to foil?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: Yes? Of My top speed's fifty two columbers an hour, which I'm pretty happy with.
Speaker 2: Wow, how do you know that? Did you have it on your watch and tracking it? Good stuff? Hey, By the way, I for you are interested in what Greg does as well, you can go and check out his website BioSport dot Code on Nz, and he does have some interesting free resources for people to check out, don't you what's that.
Speaker 4: I've got a well, we can discuss it a little bit with the cour stability stuff. I've got a free In fact, I've got a new free Core one O one test, like a protocol you can go through. It's on my homepage on my website. There are seven exercises can you or can you not?
Speaker 3: Do them?
Speaker 4: At the end of it, it spits out a fairly accurate summary of where you are and what you maybe need to do in order to be better.
Speaker 2: How this sounds like a leading question because I'm expecting you to say, very how important is core strength? But I mean how much attention shall we pay pay to it?
Speaker 4: It has a very limited amount of importance, but it is, but it is extremely important.
Speaker 2: So that's that's an interesting one. I'm going to get my head around that. That sounds like you're a politician. There, no, no.
Speaker 4: So I read a study. It was a while ago now, and I wish I'd saved it because I didn't. And it was looking at the efficacy of doing sort of plarties based training, being core stability training and its correlation to sporting performance. In this particular study, it was a very big study. There were a lot of subjects and they found a very very limited association between doing saf plarties. And I'm not trying to offend parties instructors, I have reformers. I do a lot of plarties training in my own practice, but it is not enough to elicit a positive performance response. So you use it as a skill to become more stable, to be able to change direction better, to be able to what we call resist unwanted perturbations, which is basically unwanted movements. And you take that skill and you apply it to your sprinting, you're running, you're jumping, you're heavy lifting in the gym.
Speaker 2: Because you're often working with athletes who are quite good, should be saying medium to good yet. But for the average chump like me, what's the role of core stability and whatever I'm doing, whether it be at the gym, I mean, obviously technique if you're doing weights and things, and that's all about probably bracing your core as well, so you're not But in terms of running or any other sport, how important is it for just your average chump to.
Speaker 4: Still very important?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 4: But it's what you're trying to do when you do core stability training, which is understanding how to use your pelvis correctly, is you then apply that skill and that strategy to how you say, lift weights in the gym or how you run. A good example is a lot of people, I mean, I do a lot of video assessment for runners, and a lot of people are very underactive and what we call their posterior chain, which is basically their button, their hamstrings aren't doing enough work. And the reason is because when they're running, their palvis is tipped too far forward, so they've got a duck's butt sticking out. Now, what that does is when your back, your lower back is arched, your butt muscles and your hamstrings are longer, and a longer muscle is less active. So if you can use your core correctly to change that pelvic tilt, is that what people call a sway back so thing, Yeah, I mean sway back is technically a lord oosis. That can be something genetic or something that you actually just fall into over time.
Speaker 2: But because using when you're running, you can't really rotate your pelvis like sort of just try and scoop it under, cam can you because that would feel weird really, so you should literally think of Oh, and that's the bit you said to me back when I started running about you've got to imagine that someone is propelling you along by pushing you on your buttons.
Speaker 4: So there's two real cues I used for runners. The first is that you mentioned when you're running forward versus backwards, you imagine I don't know why.
Speaker 2: That, No, that's because your brain is you're on air and your brain is going twice as fast as it needs to.
Speaker 4: Really, when you are running, you almost want to imagine you've got like a fishing hook, and that fishing hook is attached to your pubic bone, the bone at the very front of your pelvis. So if you're using your core abs in the correct manner, that will just pull that pubic bone slightly up towards your chin. Now it's only very subtle, but it does make a big difference to how the musculator around the pelvis works to the trunk stability to know how your legs move below as well. So there's that, and then I also use that cure just getting people to think about running more by pushing forward from the hips because a lot of runners, endurance runners and track runners do lean too far forward. And there's been some books that have come out that have gained a lot of notoriety about leading forward in that's absolute garbage. So pushing forward from the hips is going to help sort of reduce spinal loading.
Speaker 2: Because I sometimes wonder whether people if you are conscious that things aren't maybe you're nursing a bit of an injury. When you're running, you almost create, in terms of your posture, a self fulfilling prophecy because you are not confident enough to put yourself in the optimum position, you know what I mean, you feel you need. It's almost like when if I'm feeling but like not going for a run, I almost run like I'm depressed. Yeah, I don't mean that, but then I might. There's an attitude towards, for sure, the movement.
Speaker 4: That's and there's also there is even amongst the world leading biomechanists running specialists, there is still no absolute agreement on how the general population should run. I mean, the studies that are coming out there are so many different different results, different reports, but there are still some key things that you should do. And running is so complex. I mean, you know, I work with with kayakers, and that's the most complex for me. But running, in my opinion, is even more complex than say a golf swing, which I know is probably going to elicit a fair bit of say that. Again, running is more complex than a golf swing, definitely.
Speaker 2: The main reason more moving parts, isn't it with the golf swing? Oh well, that is that will get the golfers outraged by that.
Speaker 4: It's like, well, and i work a lot with golfers, so I've got a very good knowledge of how to rotate, how to dry, palvot clearance, all that sort of stuff. But the reason why I say that is because when you're running, there is that one point the differentiate differential it's you from when you're walking, and that's when you've got both feet off the ground. Now that's what we call an open kinetic chain, and that relies exclusively on your internal muscular control systems to keep you going efficiently in the right direction. And that's very, very very difficult.
Speaker 2: I say, Okay, so you use reformers, which is that sort of pilates based sort of every day all the time. Is that is core strength? So you say it doesn't have a big impact necessarily on performance. Is core strength important when it comes to preventing injury?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 2: Oh, is that what it's made pauses, It.
Speaker 4: Does have an impact on performance if you're looking at trying to optimisure performance in the correct sequential manner. So we'll see, for example, I treat a lot of athletes who like to lift very heavy weights and for whatever reason, they might overload their back. Something might get a little bit sore, and so what you'll quite often see, as I say, someone's doing a dead lift. So that's when the weights on the ground picking it up and you pick it up. Now, if you don't have good cour stability, what will happen is you'll overuse your lower back muscles as you stand up, so the back will arch successively and overload those tissues. This is a sweeping coman. A lot of people can get away with that because they've been doing it for a long time. But if you use your core abs correctly, the pelvis will rotate up with you as you stand up, which will help to protect the spine a little bit more, which we know is very strong and very resilient. But what it will also do is it will help to get your butt in your hamstrings all working a little more harmoniously.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think I'm not sure. I would say the deadlift is my favorite exercise, but it's damn close because after you've done it and you're feeling the benefits of it kicking in, you do feel sort of. In fact, Alex Filin, who did my program for me, he said, I can even tell from your posture that it's just improved.
Speaker 4: And unless you say a rugby player, where probably the back squad, particularly a front a forward rugby player, would be the place more value on a back squad. The vast majority of the population if they did one exercise and only one exercise would be a deadlift.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: By the way, So if I was going to do pilates, now I'm asking on behalf of a lot of people out there who are just you know, exercising where they're cycling whatever. As just someone who's not the you know, at the top of their game anymore sport wise, Why would I do pilates.
Speaker 4: Because particularly a reformer, I mean a lot of people believe and say that the map classes are harder than the reformer classes, and there is a lot of value and I do agree with that to a degree, But what the reformer does, which is basically for those that don't know, it's basically a bed with springs. It slides back and forth. What it does under varying loads is it identifies where your key stabilizer differences lie, where your strengths and weaknesses lie. And so once you have that knowledge, you can then apply that to the heavier protocols being in the gym and lifting heavier weights. Like in an ideal.
Speaker 2: World he would running, oh for sure, but it's not.
Speaker 4: Necessarily going to make you a faster run. It might make you more aware of how to get in the right position. What makes you faster is running more and you know, doing the plying metrics and the heavier weights in the gym.
Speaker 2: Like if I had a recur look if somebody's got sort of recurring soreness or something, and I was speaking to a colleague before who was getting with sore knees, and that's a common thing for runners with things like pilates. Is that of whatever adjusting things where you might find that would resolve itself or not. Yeah, it can give you.
Speaker 4: It can give you the knowledge to think to yourself, Okay, as I do this particular exercise, I'm really struggling here. I can't hold this position or I can feel a really big difference between my left and my right side, which gives you again that knowledge to extrapolate and figure out where within your running technique you getting things wrong.
Speaker 2: Okay, look, we'd love your calls because I can carry on quizin Greek for ages, because you know, if you're into exercise and things, there's always lots to learn. But we'd love to take your cause on eight hundred and eighty ten eighty text nine to nine two, and we'll be taking break. By the way, I will just read the one text so we can put that to one size. You have got one person's like, Hi, Tim, running is more complex than a golf swing. Oh police, I think that's just from someone who's probably not a very good golfer and haven't mas has mastered.
Speaker 4: Golf is super complex, don't get me wrong, but running is technically harder for reasons I discussed.
Speaker 2: Perhaps you should run between shots, that would be that would be covering some bases. Anyway, we want your cause. We've got some text coming in which will deal with as well, but we want to talk about core strength as well. If you've got any questions about some recurring issue you've got about movement, then give us a call and we'll see if Greek can be of some assistance to you. Back in a moment, new Stalk said, b Yes, welcome back to the Weekend Collector with this is the health up. My guess is Greek playing by mechanist at Biasport taking your questions around anything to do with the movement and keeping fit and well and avoiding injury and the thing that you can give us a call one hundred and eighty ten eighty. As usual, we've started off with lots of texts, but before we do the first text, I've just got a touch on this because we're talking about running and Sam Ruth, the fifteen year old who's broken the subfour minute mile before his sixteenth birthday. Astonishing and I mean one of my brothers is right into running and he was saying, he just looks. I mean he's not the only person to say that. He looks so his running technique and he just looks amazing, isn't it phenomenal?
Speaker 4: I watched a video I think it was World Athletics on Instagram did a video for him and it had Sir Roger Banister, who was the first person to break the suberforman of record, and he got across the finish line and he could barely stand up. And when young young mister Ruth came across the finish line, he looked like he could turn around and go again. That looked so effortless.
Speaker 2: I mean, we are actually I'm not sure if you know. As I mentioned this before when I was on doing drive that the thing I loved about it was it was something so key we about that athlete meeting that they'd set it up so you could do a sub for a minute male. But there weren't that many people there. It looked like it had been a bit wet beforehand. Whereas if this was an America and was a fifteen year that there would have been a college stadium pat to the Gunwales.
Speaker 4: For just marching band.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with the world record attempt, there would have been there would I mean, I'm not we're not exaggerating. The Americans would have been like da da da da Da Da da da da. And yet there was just this quiet little meeting and away they went.
Speaker 4: There's been a really interesting progression within track in the last couple of years, there's been a number of big records that have fallen, and there's this new tech that they put with these lights that flash around the inside of the lap. Oh yeah, and those lights give you indication as to where you are relative to the current world record, and that's making a big difference as well as well as training.
Speaker 2: They have that those the diamond leg meets these lights that chase you around the track. Well, either that or you're chasing around the track, I think in case right, let's get into the questions around movement and everything. Look, here's just one at the entry level side of things. Good afternoon, I'm extremely unfit and I'm carrying a lot of weight. I want to just feel better. What should I start off with?
Speaker 4: Walking?
Speaker 2: Walking?
Speaker 4: Start, just start Like there's a really good chat GPT article that came out a couple of years ago, and it was a guy who put in He was in the same situation wanting to start to lose weight and get healthier, and chat GPT said to him, the first thing you need to do is put your walking shoes by the front door. That's day one, so that gives you your impetus. Day two. Just start walking and then as you start to get more comfortable with your walking, and people think that walking is low intent, what it is low intensity in comparison to say running, for sure, but you can still walk with the pace, you can still get your heart rate up. And then from there you want to start thinking about building into love what we call SA low intensity intoval training, which is where you would say, start with jogging for ninety seconds and then walk for three to five and repeat that three four five times. Just start from them because it doesn't need to be complex if you are.
Speaker 2: Unhealthy and carrying weight. I mean, should this just be walking along the flat or building a few little slopes and don't put yourself up Killamanjarra or anything.
Speaker 4: But you know, ideally yes, because you're going to get more of a muscular response from walking uphills and down But downhill tends to load, particularly the knees, a lot. More so if you were carrying quite a lot of weight and you were particularly outfoot, and you hadn't done any sort of specific exercises before you got into that, running downhill could be slightly proper.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking just the walking, but even that or even walking, yeah, just slight inclines, just so and take it easy on the downhill exactly.
Speaker 4: But build your heart rate up. Don't be afraid to put a bit of evident into it.
Speaker 2: Isn't actually isn't that the if you are doing hells. The thing to be careful on is because people love it. They go it's so easy to going downhill, But that's injury central.
Speaker 4: Technically a lot harder. Most knee injuries oc curb in running downhill. Most tend and knee injuries occur when running downhill because people don't have what we call eccentric stress response. I don't understand how to load the tissue and lengthen it underload.
Speaker 2: Okay, this person's going through a significant stomach operation sliced open twice. As I recover, I realize how my core and my pelvit muscles are pivotal of a standing tall Again, it's like a tree trunk that can hold all the branches. Just an observation from Lee there.
Speaker 4: But even then, I mean, you can still go through the whole process of understanding how to use your pelvic floor correctly, how to use the deeper tissues, just to elicit a very subtle pelvic tilt change that again, you can build over time with.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's one. I have a double hernia in my lower abdomen and have been waiting a year for surgery. Oh, what core exercises can I do to strengthen the area. I go to the gym every weekday and do cardio on their own machine and the weight machines. That sounds yeah, that's me. That's amazing that you're getting to the gym with that discomfort.
Speaker 4: My advice would be, don't do anything that makes the hernias feel worse or illicit pain. I would focus on probably doing stability excess upright so you're not having to resist gravity as far as like a plank for example, that can really load that tissue up. So I would just start by doing some single legged overhead shoulder press and stuff like that, just building a witness in the vertical in the upright plane.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's another one. By the way, if you want to jump the que on the text, give us a call. I wait, one hundred eighty ten eighty. We'd love to hear from you afternoon. Do you have an opinion of an apparatus like the Chuck Norris machine where you're pulling, you're using pulleys and your body weight. I suppose it's similar to pilates good core strength. I think those are those things where you are kneeling or something and you're pulling yourself back and forth with a I.
Speaker 4: Mean, I still think. I mean, if you if there was one, if there's one tool you would put in your garage or your gym, it would be probably a squat rack. That would probably be the best overall tool that you can use from a very basic level all the way through to a very heavy loaded The other other tool with a squat rack where you do your back squats, what your bar is sort of attached to some sort of up and down. It's where you're Alympic bar is based. But I would also look at cable machines are very good, so they're a little safer than say doing dumbbell exercises because there is the cable component. But variation is the key, using bands, using dumbbells and kettle bells. Just try and varying it up as much as possible.
Speaker 2: Okay, a couple here that are not so much questions, but they're just talking about pilarates and things. In my early sixties, I decided I need to work on core strength, balance and flexibility. I've discovered reformer pilates. It is amazing. This person gives it ten out of ten. Hi there, I'm a fifty four year old female. Been doing reformer pilates three times a week for eighteen months. What an amazing form of exercise. Highly recommend. I cannot believe the way my muscles have developed, the balance, I now have, flexibility and agility. I'm a busy new entrant teacher, so I need to be on the go. All down. Pilates is not only good for my body, but also my well being. It's the first exercise class I actually look forward to going to. That is probably one of the more important parts of that text, isn't it Finny's funny something?
Speaker 4: You enjoy it absolutely And you know there's some brands around New Zealand that have done very very well in the reformer plats sense, and they do a very very good job. The benefit for plarties in particular is that, particularly as you get more advanced, the muscles spend more on what we call time under tension, so that has been the muscle is activated for longer holding certain positions. And we know very well that that is a very very effective tool in building muscle strength and endurance. And I don't want anyone to think that I'm bagging pilates, because I'm not. It's a huge tool in my toolbox, but it is also you can get so much more by extrapolating that skill set to the more loaded gym environment.
Speaker 2: Okay, hello, I'm out walking at the moment, listening to about running. I'm a sixty year old woman. Should I take the same approach around leading from the pelvis? That's from Chris? I think you see means worth walking?
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely so. I mean when you progress from walking to running, there is that tendency to lean forward slightly more, which is what you will do. But even then, when you're walking, and particularly as we get older, one of the most important things that you do do or don't do, is you must make sure you are upright and looking straight ahead, not looking progressively down towards the ground, because we know there is a correlation with injuries and falls when that happens. But again, as you walk, you should be keeping that pelvis pushed forward so you can get those glutes engaging when you're in stance space.
Speaker 2: It's funny when you first talk to me about that position about being upright. The image I had was, you know, had those the evolutionary chart of the evolution of sapiens and it shows sort of sort of from the knuckle dragging whatever homo and to Homo erectus and everything, and how gradually the Homo sapiens is sort of that upright. I actually think of that. I think of making sure that I'm not a couple of steps back in the evolutionary scale, because the Homo sapien image and museums and everything, they always look noble and thoroughly upright. And I think that's I think of that. I actually do think of being hel just be a bit of a snob when you run.
Speaker 4: And then you look at that and that's the evolutionary process, and then you extrapolate that all the way through to the likes of so that Usain Bolts, you know, who has won so many metals and one hundred meters sprinting. I mean he was sprinting. He was bolt upright. He wasn't leaning forward. There is always a degree forward, but it's not much.
Speaker 2: That was an undeliberate pun too, wasn't it? Bolt up right? Okay? Here's one. How can you strengthen your core. I don't know if I'm going to pronounce this right. How can you strengthen your core with diastasis rectie?
Speaker 4: So, diastasis rectie is a separation of reckless abdominance or your six pack, which occurs during pregnancy. It varies considerably from women to women. Some may not happen at all, some may get.
Speaker 2: So we see what you mean is it's what separates from what.
Speaker 4: So it's called the linear elba, which is the connective tissue you when you look at yourself in the mirror to me and you've got.
Speaker 2: Yoursel yes, yes, every day.
Speaker 4: You've got the two sort of bulges on either side of the center line, the center line, which is called the linear elba. With pregnancy, for some woman that can actually separate. And you can actually we test that in a clinical sense by actually putting your fingers sideways in between that gap to see how wide apart that gap is. Now, there is next to no research that I know about that says exercise prescription can fix it. But there are a lot of exercises you can do, particularly around like public stability and strengthening your obliques that can help control it and maintain it.
Speaker 2: What problems does it cause?
Speaker 4: Well, you don't really want separation that you can actually feel the lower tissues sort of starting to push forward. Like if you get someone along on their back who has diastasis and get them to do a cron like a normal abdominal crunch, you will actually see the deeper layers of muscles starting to protrude through. So it can be particularly bad that does so quiet surgery.
Speaker 2: I saw it actually is if it was something that just happens that people live through and it doesn't make much difference. So it does make a big difference.
Speaker 4: Depending on the scale. Like sometimes you'll get say one finger you can put in between the two sides of rectusidominus. Sometimes it can be four or five. So you know it's a scale. But if it's particularly bad and it is causing problems, then I would certainly look at getting some further advice.
Speaker 2: Okay, Hi guys, Gosh, we've got some interesting questions here. Actually, I wonder if this is almost like a kid. I can imagine a couple of guys having an argument of the pub over this, Hi, guys, Greg, which is more beneficial to a fat older man thirty press ups or a one minute plank thirty press ups because definitely, well thirty is quite a lot. Actually one minute plank, well, that's one minute.
Speaker 4: So an old client of mine, she once she was an obstetric gynecological I can never say that gynecological surgeon. And she always said to me, doing a plank for any longer than thirty seconds is ultimately a waste of time as far as your deepest level of core stabilizer is concerned, because it is quite a high level exercise. Yeah, and the floor is not designed to hold a level of contraction of that level for more than about thirty seconds. So if you start to do planks for longer than thirty seconds, I'm not saying that you're not using your core, because it is a whole selection of muscles, but at the if you're trying to build really deep, fundamental level strength, yeah, that is.
Speaker 2: Not the way to go about it, really, because I always assumed I do. I do three one minute planks at the end of one of my routines once a week, and I always assume that the workout came in after the thirty seconds, because you start to lose a bit of stability, and then your muscles are all starting to work to maintain that stability. And by the end of that one by the end of the second one minute plank, I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, and I'm not saying don't do that. I'm not saying don't do it.
Speaker 2: My six pack is returned.
Speaker 4: I can see from here. But I'm more of a we live in a very dynamic world. Oh yes, you and I are sitting. But you know, a plank is a horizontal, ultimately a static environment. If you were going to do that type of plank based exercise, I would funk it up and use Swiss balls and bows and all these sorts of things just to increase the level of instability and therefore the challenge while still well, still managing publicly.
Speaker 2: Because if you're good at them, it's simply because you're good at maintaining stability, and the magic happens when you don't have stability. So is that when you see people who are you know, the smug ones, They're doing a plank and every now and again they lift one leg and they put another one down. They know, they wave an arm out there. I'm like, I stop being so smug.
Speaker 4: I prescribe those exercises quite.
Speaker 3: A lot to you.
Speaker 2: I suspicion you might actually partly why I mentioned it just for fun. Hey, look we'll take some calls in just moment. Bob is next. It is twenty two minutes to five fly before the first time. Yes, welcome back to the weekend Collective where with Greg Pain from Buyers Sport dot cot in Zea taking your balls as well. We've had lots of texts for Bob Gooda evening guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just listening to you, Hi, just listening about people talking about how I'm a truck driver, very unfit but got a large belly, but I can do squats nice and I've done a scott the other day. Now, I felt the pince underneath my shoulder blade, and I thought it might have been a muscle, but it was enough to make me bend over to the point where the muscle in my butt cheek pulled so tight that it took away the pain in the shoulder. But then for three days I couldn't stand up straight because of the muscle. And I don't know what that muscle is. And gee, for three days I couldn't stand up straight. The only way I could walk on function and bend over like an old man a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean this is where the amount of loading that you put yourself through and your technique will come into play. So I mean, I mean squatting, as we've just discussed, is truly a fantastic exercise, but there is still a lot a lot to consider, I mean, and one of the particularly as a truck driver with long periods of sitting, the one thing you wouldn't want to do is say, have a long drive and then go straight to the gym, because we do know that with truck drivers in particular, long periods of sitting can sort of put the lower spine, particularly in a vulnerable state until you've sort of got back into some some good movement and re energized that area. I guess is one way of putting it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what is that muscle called?
Speaker 4: The sounds like, Well, if it was in your butt, it's probably something like periformis or something like that. Yeah, without seeing you, it's very hard for me to say because it could be a multitude of different things, So I'm sorry I can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's one you go off to the left there enough to make me suckle and overble what to do and is able to squat put my elbows to my knees and reach to the top top of it. Yeah, just but I cannot tend over to actually do my Yeah.
Speaker 4: If it happens again, certainly get some good physio advice or similar because you don't want to go doing that to yourself repeatedly, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Cheers mate, Thanks, thanks, bye bye. Actually Simon sent a good reminder on another good way to get fitter, So go the SPCA and get a dog. Yeah, well, I mean it's you out the door. Absolutely, Actually, that was one of the things that we talked. We've talked about this before, I think with Alex Flint about devices and things about watches and step counters. But the useful thing that it's come out, I think is that when people are counting their steps, if they've had a day where they're really sluggish, it tells them you've only done fifteen hundred steps. They go, I better get out the door on.
Speaker 4: There are so many pros and cons to these devices now, because you'll see particularly certain personality types will become very addicted to that need to fulfill a certain amount of say steps or whatever. It is so, but overall a very very good tool.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Hi, I'm a woman in my mid sixties and currently carrying too much weight. I need to drop a good ten kilos and I do enjoy walking. My question is what is the ideal? How far how many CA's should I be walking each day? And is it better in the morning on the afternoon or doesn't it matter? Thanks, I enjoy listening to you. Good on you, Thank you for the feedback. By my understanding, there is no definitive evidence that says morning or afternoon is better. By what I know, it is more of a personal preference thing. But ultimately, the more you do, the more you're going to get out of it. So if you're coming from a position of say low cardiovascular health, there's nothing wrong with getting up and going for a fifteen to twenty minute walk before you go to work, and then doing the same when you come home from work.
Speaker 4: There's nothing wrong with that. You're not going to damage yourself. As I said of saying before start by really thinking about walking. Just even if it's ten percent or five percent faster than you normally work, that will elicit a very big change in the way that you're theological some response.
Speaker 2: I think the thing is often they say you're best at exercise in the morning because you can easy more easily make time for it, where people who put it off to the afternoon that they takes over and all of a sudden they've done something for an extra quarter an hour that stripped their time that they can't do before they go and pick up the kids.
Speaker 4: And also, if you do have a tendency or you do enjoy going to the gym and say lifting heavyweights, then a long day at work will already have an element of fatigue associated with it, so you don't want to go. You don't necessarily want to go to the gym after a long day because that could be problematic.
Speaker 2: I think the thing is I've found is I do sometimes go in the afternoon, but I've locked off a period of the day. I know that if you know, if I've got to get things done, that as long as you make sure you establish that routine and book it in for yourself, it's like sleep to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like anything. You can become routine based and put a lot of value into that routine. And we know now with athletes in particular, just the importance of high quality, regular, reliable sleep.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure I quite get that in my gig, but never mind. Hi, I've been fit all my life. Your comment about getting out the door and we'll start walking is exactly what you do. Just now. I'm walking up Canon Point with a big pack. I'm seventy eight, So get moving, is the answer. Cheer is Arthur, Yeah, perfect, good on you high. I've had a fall and I have a two millimeter and a ten milimeter rep. I think I mean a tear. A tear, not a rear, A tear on my right side glutes and bursta and the right hip. The pain is high. But what can I do to repair and keep for? Thanks from d Oh, it sounds like you need to go.
Speaker 4: That's a physio question or a specialist question. I'm sorry. The advice that you should be given would be highly specific to your level of strength, but also the injury as well, So I'm sorry I can't provide any further information, but I would be proactive in managing that and not just hoping it goes away over time, because you don't want these things to get progressively worse.
Speaker 2: And you've had a fall, so it's accre even though with many physios, you'll be paying a surcharge. It is a fall. So yep, Hi, this is interesting And I've always wondered about this because we see the people in the gym who've got sort of short squat thighs and they seem to be able to lift the size of a house. This person says high, I have very long femurs. I've always found it difficult to squat very low when working out. Could my femurs be the reason?
Speaker 4: Yes, and also the shoes that you wear, and also the level of mobility you might have in your ankles and so your hips. So what I would suggest if you have got long femurs, elevate your heels slightly, so put your heels up on a weight, and that in itself can really make a big difference in the depth that you get because the squat, the value in the squat really starts to occur once your hips get below knee height and looking at you side on, it's that depth of the movement where the gold happens.
Speaker 2: Now we talked a little bit about and when we've left it a bit late because I did say we talk about high intensity interval training. Who does that and who should do it, and who should avoid it? And what is it?
Speaker 4: It's very powerful. There are some really good evidence around around home. And you've got lit which is low and low intensity, you've got medium, you've got high. There was a mitten hit and is also highlight which is high intensity low impact, which is more like your plod type and stuff. There is really good evidence around the value of high intensity interval training. But if you're coming into it and you've got low car cardiovascular fitness, you haven't been doing exercises for a period of time, avoided I built again, Start with low, go moderate, then go high.
Speaker 2: Actually, just why we're on it is that this is coming back to us. We touched on just our admiration for that young runner Sam Ruth, that the modern that the tech, the I think, I'm not sure how hard he trains. But Yakobinger Britson, who's the guy who's the leading world middle distance runner. He apparently the training these days is it's really really they do very high intensity, don't they. Is it changed? I mean back in the lidiar days was they were used to run and being quite fast, but they'd go running for hours sort of one hundred miles a week or something, wasn't it all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a little outside of my wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: I'm just curious about it just now.
Speaker 4: I do know that with a lot of my power based athletes, you have the sprint kayakers and stuff, they do spend a lot of time in that zone two, which is more your up tempo, which is not full speed. Yeah, I'm sorry, I can't really.
Speaker 2: I'm just curious because the technique, the training techniques have changed over the years for those top athletes, so haven't they.
Speaker 4: And what may work for one may not work for another. That's the that's the trick now. The coaches nowadays earn their keep because they've got to figure out what works for each individual within their camp.
Speaker 2: Right, Look, we're going to take a moment. Be back in just the tickets ten to five news talks. He'd be right. Welcome back to the health Hub. I'm Tim Beveridge, and my guest is Greek Playing is a biomechanist at BioSport BioSport dot co dot NZI. Actually, Greg, while we're talking about people getting moving, I have noted here for some I often check with you. But how important is the right footwear? Because there will be people who think, well, hang on me, we evolved bear foot, why do we need fancy running shoes? But how important is the right footwear.
Speaker 4: If you're not injured and you don't have a problem with your feet, not that much, to be fair, And that's not suggesting just going run half marathon wearing bart of bullets. But the basic rule is when it comes to picking running shoes, whatever is the most comfortable and the most light pair of shoes that you again, you must feel comfortable and light.
Speaker 2: Yeah, perfect. Can you go too soft though? I mean something goes oh that feels so cushiony. But is that good all the time?
Speaker 4: Well, it can be good if you're running in a straight line. It might be a problematic when you start to turn corners because that softness can create lateral instability in the ankle particularly, But like you know, I think a lot of too many people are going into these carbon plated shoes unnecessarily. Like you go to these run clubs and they're running tempo and carbon plated shoes, which is an absolute you should not do that.
Speaker 2: What's carbon plated? They specifically rigid.
Speaker 4: The Nike vapor flies and all the major brands are doing them nowadays. I've got I've got a cab and plate within the soul and it's a very specific type of foam called pebacks, and they are well known to be more efficient, but they are designed to be worn at certain speeds.
Speaker 2: I think we've solved a problem for our producer who has just revealed that she received a pair of shoes what she's been running on, and she's going to be consulting you. I think we can share that. But she's got their carbon plated shoes, so they've got to go Tyra, you can't use them. There's a reason sister is an athlete. She got you know.
Speaker 4: Okay, we'll have that chat.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think we've found I think we've managed to diagnose your problem on the show. You've got crappy, You've got amazing shoes. Amazing for you. Yes, so they're particularly rigid. Are they to help people go fast quickly?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they give they have an energy return component. They allow you to run faster. But there are too many people buying them online when we know that they should be fitted in shop because there is a very specific place that the plate should stop relative to the shape of your foot. And yes, they are designed to be run at certain speeds and they're not designed to be used all the time. As well. I had a lady come in and see me the other day who was sixty two, who was running very, very slow in carbon plates, and the first thing that we said is you just need to get rid of those shoes. They just they are not helping the situation.
Speaker 2: So don't get the fanciest, most expensive, luxury version. Get the shoe that's right for you. Not because somebody said, oh this is the latest thing you're going to do one hundred meters in nine point nine seconds.
Speaker 4: Where the price will come is if you buy a really light pair of shoes that are comfortable, because light means expensive and so therefore you're more likely to most likely I'm generalizing, but that would probably mean the shoes will wear out faster. But we do know from an economy perspective, lighter, comfortable shoes are all you should be looking for.
Speaker 2: Excellent, excellent. I think we've got that. We've got to the heart of that one problem for one of our texts, slash callers slash in the product production both anyway, Hey Greg, great to see him, mate, Well thank you, well, look forward next time you can check out Greg's workout and he's got some core strength stuff, some great core strength stuff on BioSport dot co dot nz. We'll be back next. Smart Money. Andrew Bascan from Harbor Asset Management talking about well you've got economies looking up, but the economists are they're not too clear about things. Will be digging into that with Andrew bestcan shortly. Smart Money is next.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective, listen live to News Talk zed be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio