Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks'd be follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Now good a buck? Are you going very good?
Speaker 3: Thank you? Hey?
Speaker 2: How was the howd the Dawn Service go this morning?
Speaker 3: It was beautiful? Yeah? Lovely? Yeah, and I finished off with a beautiful hucker in front of all the crosses. Yeah. Done. Well.
Speaker 2: There's been some big losses in the past twelve months. We had Sir Bomb otherwise known as Robert Gillies, has passed away. Does do those events sort of what do they do? They add an extra poignant seat to the occasion.
Speaker 3: Well, Uncle Bomb, Yeah, well, you know I knew him quite well because I'm from roder as well. Yeah, and he spent most of his life there with his family and you know, knowing his history and things like that. You know, it's one of these things that they're all slowly but surely passing away, and you know, we're Bomb was Stroy, the was the the monive Galant and it's really sad, but everyone's going to go at some stage, and you know, as they're coming to these things here, it just makes you remember all the mates that that you have lost on the way, what do.
Speaker 2: You make of the government's announcements in recent weeks around the definitions and adjusting the ANZAC act.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that you know, looking trying to actually define the role of a well, what the when you when you can be called class itself as a veteran. You know, it's it's been piecemeal over the years, and some have said that, you know, it's when you actually a test when you first join the military and you sign the piece of paper. And now they've actually put a bit of a stake in the ground and said it. You know, you're going to be getting your first medal because of your service medal three years at least they've actually said that. And all of the ones that haven't cooked classed themselves as veterans can now class house themselves as a veterans because they've all got that medal. Yeah, and so it's quite different to an operational medal. And yeah, so it's quite different altogether. But you know, why do you get past that three year mark? You know, you can class yourself as a veteran and a lot of people didn't class themselves as difference, but it's in ink now and something is But we're still there to try and actually try and actually that's the first stage and we want to move on to the next stage and trying to get better things for the servicemen as well as well as the veterans as well the old old guys in the RSA.
Speaker 2: What are your own personal thoughts when you were at one of these services.
Speaker 3: Well, I think about my father uncle, because my dad was a sycamore war he was in he was in j Force Money Battalion and as he was flying up to Europe to join up with the battalion to any battalion, they got detailed because the bombs went off in Hashima and Naga Sat and so he went up there for eighteen months and how clean up? Yeah, so he turned around to that My uncle, who named me when I was a young guy, was basically he was in Korea and he was up there for quite a while. And uh, you know they've both gone now, my dad and my uncle. So you think about the people that you didn't know when you were young and that've all gone now. And they were all military. Yeah, it does, said, yeah, but not understanding that. You you know, you've got a box on and and commemorate their you know, their lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, what they do.
Speaker 3: You know, we keep telling our kids, you know, like our kids, my kids, now this is your great uncle, this is your great quddul, you know, things like that, so they know that these guys went to war and they gave us their lives, you know, for for New Zealand. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate you sharing that with us, But thanks so much for your time this morning, and we'll have to chatting again sometime soon.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks, they'd be listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio