Speaker 1: It's the Flavor podcast Network.
Speaker 2: Island Roots Auckland Ways.
Speaker 3: This one's for the Brown brothers and sisters who want to be one with themselves, their culture, their identity, their roots.
Speaker 2: This is Island Roots Auckland Ways.
Speaker 3: Hey everyone, welcome back to Island Roots Bookland Ways. It's Alicica and Ma's here.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: Girl? Look very good at time of recording back to beem today. Nice a week off?
Speaker 2: Mans looks so toned. Arms girl, those arms.
Speaker 1: I think the arms were giving because we also am Seed something Yes, guys.
Speaker 3: And we're AMCs now we're like a doubleheader.
Speaker 2: Basically, it was so cool.
Speaker 3: We m seed some awards and we got to talk to like some people afterwards. We got to meet now from for shelling. Yes, oh my gosh, I really want to miss it and be like, hey you free next week's go girl, because it's because alissa'spent on her cover bus.
Speaker 2: I've been on my color journey, my ma langa if you will.
Speaker 3: Huge fan of cover Actually, like didn't realize how much I liked it until maybe.
Speaker 2: The past few weeks and I have been drinking.
Speaker 3: I'd say a pretty good, like a moderate amount, not too much, right Mez no, no, just enough to take a little bit of fun, yeah, and explore the ways about antists a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Very much so.
Speaker 3: And even after recording this episode with the incredible Maijune.
Speaker 2: We went out for cover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we went out to cover.
Speaker 3: We went to cover, got that the cover. So yes, we have made June on the episode today. So exciting because May June is one of I would say like my favorite bands to come out of South Auckland in the last year or so. They've only been together really for like four or five months. Hectic pictic but really like Epoch Boys, that's TiVo, Elijah and Jeremiah.
Speaker 2: So cool that we could finally get them in the studio.
Speaker 3: But guys, before the episode starts, we do have to preface by saying, I don't know what it was. I was just having a really off day and I just feel like the recording is not the best.
Speaker 2: But in terms of it happens, and that's.
Speaker 3: Why we kind of want to put it out anyway, because you can see that just because we're award winning doesn't mean that we don't also sometimes fuck up a recording.
Speaker 2: But I would say a lot of it fell on me.
Speaker 3: And for which I have already apologized to everyone involved, but you know what I tell her, don't say sorry.
Speaker 1: If you say sorry one more time, girl, men, you will be sorry.
Speaker 2: But I just feel like I really like May June.
Speaker 3: I got really, really nervous. I got a little bit too in my head about the whole thing. Normally very confident, very good at the Tellna.
Speaker 2: Chick, and I just wasn't really this time.
Speaker 3: So if you would do us the honor of bearing with us during this episode, that would be incredible.
Speaker 2: But also go on stream May.
Speaker 3: June on all the streaming platforms possible because their music is so cool and they're doing something that's really really really I think, like cool and different and interesting and and it's great, Like it's genuinely really good music. And I've been lucky enough to also hear some of the unreleased stuff, so and the unrealy stuff is really really awesome.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 3: So I shout out to Tebo, Elijah, and Jeremiah for coming on. You also know Jeremiah as Hales of course making also fucking incredible music. But yeah, thanks so much to these boys for coming on. And we shall leave you with the episode now.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 3: To another episode of Island Roots or Conways today. It's only taken six months to get these guys on the podcast. I reached back and March giving favorite pop rock bands my June.
Speaker 1: Who welcome boys Sex Month? Geez yep, it's because of.
Speaker 2: The bus?
Speaker 1: Wow? How far fifty?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow, Rod, welcome boys to the podcast. How are we feeling today?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 1: Ye're very good? Yeah us Well, every single episode of Island Roots Auckland Ways, we like to share what we love about home. So what thee our home is to you, whether that we physically reside, whether that's a place that you go to and seek refuge or anywhere. What is home to you and what do you love about it? We'll start off first, what do you love about home? This week?
Speaker 2: A listen, I'm gonna throw Jerry under the bus here.
Speaker 3: My favorite thing about home is Waymouth Food Bar, which is also Jerry's favorite food spat right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, love for me, Yeah, he loves it, it's his favorite so good. Yeah. What's your favorite order?
Speaker 4: Jary?
Speaker 1: The one?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah absolutely, let's just go to every time? Yeah, Myriad two six seven wewhere we Mouth Feedbar.
Speaker 1: And remind me what you like to eat from the way mouth.
Speaker 2: Food, but also happens to be the oh y yeah, how much girl? I don't know, you don't know. She's read usually plasted when I go there, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: One of those feats. What I love about home this week is we used to have like a lemon tree growing up, and so this was a lemon tary in our front garden and I used to make lemonade from that tree and I used to sell it out the front. Never made any money, but it's something that remains permanent in my mind, good memories. The tree did now ri tree a rip, but I think that is where not to get deep with it. But that's where a former dog of ours is buried. So I lives on forever. It will always be a special place. Yikes, Bet, I love about home, raised and peace. What do you love about home?
Speaker 4: I'll just go with my mum.
Speaker 1: Oh beautiful.
Speaker 4: I'd probably like for grounding. Just go to her. She always knows what's up. You don't say anything, and then she's like, so.
Speaker 1: What's wrong, and you're like, mom knows that.
Speaker 4: She always knows, So yeah, I'd say I'd see her and then just yeah, being able to talk pretty freely to it. Yeah, that's what I love about it, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we love What do you love about home, bro?
Speaker 5: Or something I don't love about home at the moment is we got developers like around our house. They're like they've taken down everything, so like in a couple of months, it's gonna be apartments all around the house and like with the last house standing on.
Speaker 1: That little section.
Speaker 5: So like I might have to go do something about it.
Speaker 1: Oh that sucks. It looks so ugly. Can I ask were about? Oh? Like, yeah, man, those developers are out in full fourth so yep. They take up build like four or five six hourses all look the same. It's not the one A and they build them so fast. I'm very passionate. Yeah, they built their houses so fast and they're not bound to last. No, definitely not.
Speaker 5: They're just ugly.
Speaker 1: I hate it.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that's something I love about home and something I don't love about home period.
Speaker 1: You say that, your chicks.
Speaker 6: Something I love about home is probably the kitchen table. Oh yeah, nothing beats like sharing a meal with your your friends or your family. And it's probably something I've taken for granted. Recently, I sat on the table recently and my uncle was cooking in the kitchen and he went off on a spiel about his life and some more and the world of Catholic and yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that. So I think a lot of people will relate to that for sure. And that is what we love about Home this week.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Every good band has a name, and Maijune has one of the best names that we know of.
Speaker 2: Please tell us how the name Maijrine came today.
Speaker 1: No girl, because UNLESSA just told me, I told you.
Speaker 2: The story, what a story do tell?
Speaker 1: I actually said I wouldn't tell, like tell today.
Speaker 6: On interviews, break it, break it for this, just just this once for for Alan Rooms, walking ways, thank you, Like man, it's the most anti climax. Went to l A last year and when people used to ask when we were going in the lead up to.
Speaker 2: It, I was like, oh, like like.
Speaker 6: Ma June and like yeah, that's that's that's essentially it.
Speaker 1: That is exactly how told me the story, Just like that May June. Did you guys oblige to that name? It was more like that was the name? I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was really too first in the name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were no other names of the Max.
Speaker 4: I think they might have been the first one that came up other than like you know, the classic just molder names together.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yeah, very much. Wow, what a story take us through? What inspired May June? So when people hear you, guys, what other influences that make up your music or your music?
Speaker 4: I'd say we all kind of bring a slightly different angle or perspective. We've all kind of grown up with similar they clicked the kind of styles of music that we've listened to, But the way we approach it is like, you know, slightly different for each of us. So I think, yeah, kind of that that molded together makes.
Speaker 3: You kind of all have background as a solo artists or working with other artists. What is it about the three of you that worked so well together there?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Sometimes it doesn't work like amazing though we still make it work at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how did you all get into music?
Speaker 3: So, Elijah with guitar, was it something you've played since you were young or did you pick it up in like high school or was it Jenny like.
Speaker 4: A little bit. Music kind of runs in my family slightly, always kept the generation with my parents, but my granddad. He's he's some one on my mom's side, and he played yet pretty much his whole life. Ah, and then he inspired my older sisters to start learning how to teach oh or how to play. And then once I saw them playing, I was like, I'm can give it a jam, So I asked them to teach me, and they taught me for about two weeks and then as soon as I got better than them, they started teaching me. So yeah, and.
Speaker 1: That was that. And then did you keep that up through your childhood? Did you?
Speaker 4: I started when I was like properly, when I was like living okay live in twelveish, and then continued into high school. Just found a band, which is kind of how I found friends as well.
Speaker 1: So yeah, can I ask where you went to high school? Open? Grandma? Oh okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How was Aukland? Grandmar? I mean it's unpack that.
Speaker 4: Grammar like most uh, you know, schools like that are kind of in that vein, you know, the grammar schools, the private schools, all of that. I think they all, you know, give a lot of opportunities that other schools might not be able to. But at the end of the day. It's like, if you're a student that's willing to learn and stuff or like wanting to be taught, then I feel like no matter where you go, really it's you know, kind of the same. But I think I just focused on my school work because they didn't really like support all of the music stuff until we started winning things and then. Yeah, so that's my take on graandmar. Yeah, it's cool, but.
Speaker 1: Not really.
Speaker 2: I can relate. What about you, TV and jams.
Speaker 5: I've been playing drums for like since I was a kid, but not proper. I think like everyone's everyone's first memory of me on the drums is like me sitting on my uncle's lap in church, and then I kind of went from there, just like mucking around in church and then didn't stop playing properly until high school. Environment that guy, So I went to talking grammar as well, but I'm younger.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 5: Starting it seriously in high school mainly because of him. He told me to hurry up and like, do talk about it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, wasted potential, So I know, hurry up one year one year older please.
Speaker 5: Among Definitely, music definitely does run into the family, and then I got my voice from my dad from my parents anyway.
Speaker 3: And you and my people will know you as hals yep yep sing a songwriter. How did you get into singing and songwriting?
Speaker 6: I never really wanted to sing, but my brother kind of us to sing it his wedding one time, and well his only wedding.
Speaker 2: Su.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I enjoyed that, and so I kept singing songwriting. I actually have like a like an interesting story. So I didn't have a phone in high school, so to like find new music, I used to listen to the radio a lot, and I used to listen to.
Speaker 1: The Edge.
Speaker 2: Here we listen to.
Speaker 6: And like because it was at night and they weren't telling us which song was playing, I had to write down all the lyrics to kind of.
Speaker 2: Get what the song was called.
Speaker 6: And so yeah, I think that plays into a part of why I enjoy listening to lyrics and writing lyrics.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Another thing you guys speak to a lot is the importance of it presentation. And I think it's really important that people know that specific people don't just listen to reggae. And I know that I grew up listening to types of music that wouldn't be considered like brown music as such why is it being so important for you to start major in and to be part of that kind of representation for our people.
Speaker 4: It's every one of those like questions where like we'd be hesitant on purely because of the fact that like, like say, for example, I'm pretty white passing like Wolly's less white passing, and then he's probably the most islander looking one of us. And then also the fact that we're twenty two, like do we really know anything? Probably not, but I mean, you know, we'll still give her like opinion on the thing. I think seeing people I think, regardless, seeing people that look like you whatever whatever that may be doing things is good for the wider community regardless, just to be able to like reinforce the idea that you can do what whatever you kind of want to do if you put your mind to it type of thing, and there shouldn't be really any obstacles or like barriers in your way based on the way that you look.
Speaker 6: I think, like coming into it, we didn't think that that's what we were trying to do, yeah, exactly, And it's only after these first couple of releases that we've kind of realized that there's something bigger to this. We received like a DM recently and he was like, man, I like, I really like what you guys are doing and keep it up. Like I wish I had something like this back in high school, people that look like me that I could you know, look to for Yeah, just in those spaces.
Speaker 4: It's kind of been thrust upon us in a way kind of I don't know now a lot of the time. A lot of Yeah, the times it just seems like it's almost like validation to these people. They're like, oh no, I'm not weird for listening to this stuff, like like other people that are like be listened to this, so it's like it's actually okay. That's the kind of common consensus we see in the comments.
Speaker 1: What has been your favorite part of the May June journey so far?
Speaker 5: Our first debut major and show that was that's so good.
Speaker 4: Our major and show was like they were there to like, yeah, I think yeah. The thing about our debut, like headline one, was that was people that wanted to come see us. We did do a showcase beforehand, like Jerry said at the Tuning Fork, but that wasn't necessarily people being like, oh, majorna playing let's go watch them, but these were like fans, and to be able to play for fans for the first time properly, it's definitely surreal, at least for me and Volley. I guess I guess jerious of it.
Speaker 1: And who are your influencers and music and music I.
Speaker 4: Don't know music wise, like musicality and how we sound, but influence and how we act probably like Sam like definitely plays a big factor in that and how we move. That's just yeah, yeah, sorry sem V, but that's just because I guess we've been around of ceram so it's kind of like biosmosis, he said. He said too much.
Speaker 1: Any other influences other than Sam, Shipherds Rain, Yeah, we love Ship, It's Rain. We're going to have them in the studio.
Speaker 6: They're bold approach to kind of doing the rock things. It's made it easier for us to kind of be more bold in our own music.
Speaker 4: They definitely later certain blueprint that we kind of were able to follow because they were there or because they preceded us type of thing.
Speaker 1: I've had a read through the comments of these guys on social media and there are people there who look up these absolutely These people then look up to you. Do you not that we do have chets about that? Oh my god? How do you respond to comments like that? That's all you can do?
Speaker 5: Yeah, when we got like people like all Indian or like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they were like, oh yeah, Jerry looks someone the other two of Indian?
Speaker 5: Who those guys?
Speaker 4: And like, you know, I'm not I'm not bringing that up like it's a bad No, I'm just saying that we're not that.
Speaker 1: Like incredibly up the gate?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Should we move on to our game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do it all?
Speaker 4: Kay?
Speaker 2: So you introduced it because I don't really Okay.
Speaker 1: So boys, we have a game here. How well do you know your music? Do you.
Speaker 4: Ish?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: It depends on like the time period.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, let's not giving what is giving? Let's getting ninety okay, okay, okay. So I've got three instrumentals here you're gonna play amongst yourselves, and so I'll play the instrumental and your names are your buzzes, and I want you to buzz in with what you think the song is to the instrumental that I'm playing out to you. Okay, it's a game that we're gonna play called in the Ring. I have the Ring qualifier. Okay, here we go. We've played this before on the podcast. How are you feeling feeling a listen.
Speaker 2: If the song's a bad mans chose them.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're commentating a does feel like that? Okay, May June playing in the ring? Are you ready for your first instrumental? Remember names are your buzzers. Okay, here we go, instrumental number one. This is easy.
Speaker 2: You have to get this.
Speaker 1: You have to get this one otherwise I'm going to revoke all the cuts. Jeremiah and Jeremiah.
Speaker 6: What is the song getting stronger by Eddie's featuring right now?
Speaker 1: One on the board for Jeremiah. Any thoughts from you? Commentator number two?
Speaker 2: No thoughts?
Speaker 1: Okay, let me want one. Okay, I hear a song. Number two. Let's get some runs on the board boys, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Come jag those guys, guys.
Speaker 1: One more song, one shout okay, even the board one last song just no no answer, So I don't get it.
Speaker 3: This is the song from the spand that mess knows.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, that's a rock song.
Speaker 1: Yeahl wrong. As much as I'm out of the band, guys, Okay, we are giving you, like all the chances right here. Bro.
Speaker 4: Surely come on.
Speaker 2: What's it called?
Speaker 4: Get the band, get the bank, get the band, that's easy, Paramel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm stilling to Dan my brothers.
Speaker 4: Good show, good show.
Speaker 2: It's really worried.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, guys, like my my.
Speaker 1: Brain is not working.
Speaker 4: That's okay, you got it there, but I got it.
Speaker 1: You did get it? Three equal one equal girl? What do we call this? They were in the recently Paramour.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I went, how was it? It was so much fun? It was so good.
Speaker 1: Do you did you guys manage to get along to Paramol? I had a show? Just wait?
Speaker 4: What was that that night?
Speaker 1: Performing that night? We always play like with together, play show. It was either a hail show or a major show. We've made a hall show.
Speaker 4: When was it? Do you know that?
Speaker 6: I think like last year it was the last a show and I was like, guys, come on, please.
Speaker 2: Don't go to Paramol, please play the show.
Speaker 6: Two hundred bucks to see to see Paramore or like twenty bucks to see me?
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, we had to pay to be.
Speaker 3: So sh well, sorry about that, guys.
Speaker 2: Did you actually go to Parable?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: I wish?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Thanks so much for joining us. Guys.
Speaker 3: You can find may June on all the social media platforms that's made June band. You can find the boys individually, and you can also find us on TikTok, Instagram, at Island Roots, Auckland Ways, go stream their music, Go check them out. This ship is so fucking good and uh you should also stream us on Night Hot radioat the podcast every Thursday.
Speaker 1: We'll catch you next week.
Speaker 2: Bye,