Speaker 1: Live from the Export Beer Garden Tour of Munich. This is the Agenda Podcast for whatever data is.
Speaker 2: I've got no idea. The Agenda Podcast Live from the Export on Beer Garden Tour of Munich.
Speaker 1: And actually we're not in Munich. We're in Amsterdam, fellas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, game day built up to the All Blacks game, we thought we'd come to Amsterdam.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what better place than Amsterdam, and just just to get the feel the vibe of that Bleaterslow Cup Test. And I'll tell you what. I've been wandering around this morning on the streets and the people are absolutely vibing it here. There is an amazing vibe in Amsterdam about that Blitterzoe Cup test.
Speaker 2: Well there is.
Speaker 1: Just last night we ran into a group of Welsh gentlemen, yes, who'd come over for a four day long weekend. As Joe Joy feverishly pulls a couple of beers out of the fridge. Here, it's a nice called Export Ultra because we've brought our own beers to the beer fest.
Speaker 2: But I digress. Yeah, we're down in Amsterdam.
Speaker 1: Last night, but a first night fever, a couple of Welsh gentlemen pulled up next to us, and they were chewing our ears off about the Orbles team. They love Wallace the City, big fans of that, but they do feel like the aura is gone from the Orbles. They said that there's no fear anymore. Yeah, teams don't fear them. How good would it be though, to just be able to pop over here for four days?
Speaker 4: Oh so good? Just before we really get stuck into some code analysis, Yeah, can I just say we your first New Zealand is to ever bring New Zealand beer to Holland?
Speaker 3: Potentially is Has that ever happened before? I don't believe it's a big export market for New Zealand. Ah No, bringing beers into Holland, home of Heineken at home of Amstell.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, it's one of the very very few kind of world first that we pointless world first that the ACC is renowned for. But this is not the first time we've done a rugby build up from Amsterdam, because you remember in twenty fifteen the World Cup, we did the entire build up from the streets of Amsterdam and got ourselves in quite a bit of bother about that. Bringing the official build up to the World Cup final from Amsterdam, Well, dangerously wasted on truffles, which we just thought was a mushroom risotto and found out later that.
Speaker 2: It was not a mushroom rosotto.
Speaker 4: Boy, it wasn't. And then last night we just revisited some of those scenes which just embedded into my memory, and it turns out that essentially we didn't move more than about fifty meters, so all of the things that I remember, the babies having their nappies changed in a very strange castle in the middle of a roundabout you wearing penis glasses, outside of a ship that was also doubled as a bar that was rolling across the ocean, a bridge where we attempted to do the first ever flying wedge piece to camera, and a peep show where we all ended up peeping on each other rather than the actual sex act which was going on in the middle of us. It was all in the space of about fifty meters on of course, the urinal, which we sat in a bar and then commentated peace going in and out of the urinal. It was nice to use that urine last night, Actually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: And the urinals here are quite interesting because they're on the footpath and it's basically a waist height aluminium grate and you can still look over the top of it, and it's a grate on the ground. But what disturbed me most because I used it as well. I thought it was very handy. There was heaps of toilet paper. Yes, that implies that potentially girls are coming and squatting there.
Speaker 2: I didn't don't as with this design for that.
Speaker 1: There's also something weird about making eye contact with strangers while pissing out in the open. Yeah, out in public, which is very very off putting. They are not in great nick. I kind of thought they would be. I don't know why we're in Europe. I was like, they'll be flash. They were not.
Speaker 4: They were part urinal, part confessional. Did you notice that the mish you could see through and I could see people and people could see me, and it was like you But obviously there was a piece of metal that went around about nipple heights, so you couldn't see anything below the nips, but I could see it on an eye was eyeballing people as they were coming past. It was quite quite high. Actually, oh, you enjoyed that? No, I did. I found it. I found the smell absolutely disgusting. I was like fifty million cats had urinated there over fifty thousand years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably not far off.
Speaker 4: It was pretty gross, but yeah, you're right. The why would people put rubbish a toilet paper? That means that girls have obviously used That's what I was implying.
Speaker 3: But they've obviously bought their own toilet paper because there's not a dispenser in there. It's just a hole you urinate in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, although sometimes you get some weird guys who dabbed there. No, yeah, that, no, they do. I had an ex girlfriend and her ex her boyfriend, the guy that she was going out before me, was a dab or toilet partner?
Speaker 2: What is he? Did he have a did he have some sort of bladder control issue?
Speaker 4: Out with him? From like fifteen or sixteen? And so when I didn't do that, she thought it was unusual. She thought that all men did it. So she didn't have any brothers.
Speaker 2: So what do you do?
Speaker 3: You you don't because you need normally you give it the pooh, and you give it the whip for the bullwhip, and you give it the bull whip and you get rid of most kind of excess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I never saw him do it, but I was told dribbler. Yeah, obviously, but I mean I was told that you just could get a little bit of toilet paper and just dab the end.
Speaker 2: I can't look at you the same. Yeah, for extra safety.
Speaker 4: What's wrong with you? You're disgusting your disgusting person.
Speaker 1: Just to make sure, well, it can be a ruin, a day ruiner if you do end up dribbling. You know, say, for example, you've been cut short for some reason or for it, or you're standing on a public street in Amsterdam.
Speaker 2: You need to cut it short. Yeah, you know, it is a day ruiner. You know, it ruin you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And also when you get to my age, you know, late forties, things don't tighten off as well as they used to. You can turn the tap off, yeah, but it's like you need to get a plumber and just to just to put some of the washers sort of broken.
Speaker 3: Or some plumbing tape just around the fred that's what that's what you need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not yet quite heavy snap flight over Fellas. Yeah, it was a long and arduous one, although you've been comparing it to Chi Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because at the time it's I mean a lock, not that I mean I've given birth to three children so far, and not half as traumatic for me as it was for my wife.
Speaker 2: But you always go back, don't you.
Speaker 3: It's a horrific experience, But two days later you completely forget about it. And as soon as we landed in Dubai had a beers out there. I'd completely forgotten about how traumatic that seventeen hours was.
Speaker 1: And it was traumatic because they offered us a choice of beef or chicken lane and I took the beef and boy died.
Speaker 2: It wrek havoc on our intestines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, beef, beef by name and certainly beef by nature because I had so much gas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was out of control.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's fine for you, but I mean you were probably enjoying the smell of your gas, whereas the rest of the cabin. Yeah, and I was one of the members of the rest of the cabin were getting mouthfuls of methane about every what five minutes at one stage. And then you went off and destroyed a toilet. You destroyed there were a number of toilets, and you destroyed it. And then two penguins came in after you and they were shocked. They were like, oh, it stinks.
Speaker 2: Hey, I wasn't alone. I had a teammate, I know.
Speaker 1: And I felt bad because Joe Jury was sitting next to me in the aisle seat and I just was like he was struggling to get to sleep. But I was like, I'm sorry, I have to climb over you to go to the toilet because there is so much gas building up in me.
Speaker 2: The pressure.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know how if you check in luggage, sometimes a pottle or something in your bed can explode because of the pressure. That's how my stomach felt while I was sitting there. So and I went into the bathroom and it was just straight gas and just the volume of it, the sheer amount just about lifting me off the seat. But god, there is no better feeling than farting away a stomach ache.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the relief that was like lean It was like popping a balloon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, slowly, when you.
Speaker 4: Can see it go down. There is nothing better than that. But part of the definition of intelligence is when you learn from your mistakes. I mean, that's that's kind of how humanity works. We all go through different things and we learned you to generation. Interestingly, a sec hered g laying over here he had the beef cheeks as you did, Terminigh and Joe, as you have the beef checks as well. I had the chicken. And by the way, the checken was delicious and had the beef cheeks. It had a terrible effect on your guts and therefore had a terrible effect on the rest of the cabin and plane. But then when we're on the next leg, the option of food again was chicken, meatballs or beef strogen off. And you've gone back for a beef strong enough. I mean, that's not learning from your experience. Next thing, you know, you were doing even worse futs. You'd gone beef on beef.
Speaker 2: You asked you, you were teasing me.
Speaker 3: You were taunting me. You're going dear to get the beef again, to get the beef again. You were like this little devil on my shoulder on the plane. And then when she came and asked me, I just blurted it beef and you're like yes.
Speaker 4: I thought, there's no way he's going to get the beef again. It's like, no, he'll go the beef again.
Speaker 2: There was no lesson learnt at all.
Speaker 4: Had an abatoire going on in your guts, it's just terrible.
Speaker 3: But of course we had We also had ten great New Zealanders with us on the flight. Hugh and Brandon from Dean Yep, yeah, they were there. We had Andy and Nick from Hastings yep. Actually from Birmingham. Birmingham by Birmingham. James and Tom joined us, Callum and Phil Callum and Callum and p and Mal as well on the trip, all great New Zealanders.
Speaker 2: Yes, and they were just they was. It was surreal for them.
Speaker 3: I remember we caught the coaching from the airport and one of them I think was that Callum was just pinching his mate.
Speaker 2: He was like, what are you doing? Just checking my head? This doesn't make any sense, doesn't make anything.
Speaker 3: We're in Amsterdam, it's twenty degrees, it's summer, it's a European summer, and we got the day off today and then we hit the Heineken factory tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yes, but the big thing is where are we going to watch the rugby and how are we going to watch the work?
Speaker 3: Yeah, when it's at seven in the morning, because it's five thirty over in Sydney, So Zealand three thirty Sydney.
Speaker 1: Is it day or night now here, Yeah, night where we are right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Day this morning I'm just saying, at the sun by the angle, it feels a lot like the daytime. It does, doesn't it to me? Although it was like morning to me, I've lost all sense of time and directioned So seven so three point thirty in Australia, which means five thirty in New Zealand five forty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so then, which means seven thirty in the morning here. Well, that's not a bad time.
Speaker 2: No, it's not bad.
Speaker 3: It's just I think it's where we find a place open is and able to play.
Speaker 4: I don't know where Nowhere always kind to play in New Zealand and New Zealand playing Australia somewhere in No way.
Speaker 3: We're gonna we might have to get everyone into this room and just cast it onto the TV.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well we do have a TV that's about sixty five feet wide and about thirty feet high, because yeah, it takes up half the roomless TV.
Speaker 1: I've only ever seen a TV the big in our studio back home. It's right as the size the size of the TV in a studio. But the thing is all it's got is free to ear TV, which I love watching whenever i'm overseas. Last year when we went to Paris, Heath and I watched so much daytime French TV because there's just something weird about watching it. We don't understand the language and it looks just like every TV show. We've got New Zealand as well, the spital of that. That's all we can watch on your seventy five inches of TV. The hotel we're in is to describe it, it's like three wedges of cheese placed on top of each other at different angles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, three witches of gooda.
Speaker 3: Yes, it looks like a building that belonged in Dubai if i'm it's next to the big Motorway. It's a very nice hotel, but it's the opposite.
Speaker 4: The big Mount Wellington and by Boys Car supermarket over there and the big McDonald's.
Speaker 3: It's had potentially one of the best buffet breakfasts I've had a very long time, Say.
Speaker 4: Well, how goods in the four when we arrived, and it's a help yourself honesty system with a cafeteria you just sort of help yourself. Here is wine, yeah, anything, and then it's got a whole lot of lollies and it's like help yourself picking max and don't even have to pay for them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't test it out last night. We went down and we.
Speaker 1: Picked up a couple of beers at about two in the morning, and I was looking at it and I was like, how many times am I going to come in here before I just try and snake them with that b Yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought about last night because you needed to swipe an over eighteen card which we didn't have, and I thought about and for a split second, I just take them.
Speaker 2: And as I said that, I said maybe they got cameras.
Speaker 3: And I looked up and there was a camera right above my head looking me straight in the eye.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'll wait for someone.
Speaker 4: That's about the most inconvenient things so far I've experienced here, because everything else here, nobody in Holland and the Netherlands, everything is made easy for you. Yes, it's like, how can we it's so everyone's so hospitable. Yeah, I mean the people in the hotel are so helpful. And someone someone said at breakfast this morning that they said that their coffee machine could do with a little bit a few more coffee pods. Oh yeah, and as they just sort of made a suggestion because apparently when they went online or something, I said, how's everything going, any suggestions? They said, maybe a few more coffee pods. Within five minutes, someone from the hotel was up there and delivering coffee pods into the into their hotel room.
Speaker 2: Oh that's that's service.
Speaker 4: How good is that?
Speaker 3: They're also it's hot spitable as well, because it's very good looking race. Oh yeah, very good looking race to Dutch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've got in our position as one of the weages of cheese in this particular, well, we're kind of in a transport hub in a funny sort of way. We've got we've got a motorway, we've got tram lines, we've got a train track, and we've got six bike lanes, yes, which meander their way underneath us. And as a result, some of the breaths are fresh air. That just and no helmets here, which is great, so you can really see people's faces properly.
Speaker 2: But there's there's something for the mums and the deads.
Speaker 4: Oh, because the dudes are.
Speaker 1: Tall, athletic, well, the tallest average height in the world, I believe, Holland Yeah, I think they're running around the six three for an average height for a man, but most of them are around the bloody six six is. But the great thing about the way they boke obviously the whole town is flat. It's all at sea level or actually under sea level, isn't it, And so everyone's meandering, no one's racing. I feel like if this was in New Zealand, it'd be some absolute wounded coming past you a million miles an hour. But no one does that, I presume because they don't want to get where they're going and just be covered and sweat.
Speaker 2: So they're just chilling.
Speaker 3: And also they've got no helmets, they don't so they're going up five kilometers an hour, just turtling along.
Speaker 2: And they're also going to work, so they're all quite well dressed.
Speaker 3: Up and watching someone in full corporate attire on a bike, fully made up, a woman in a dress, yes, fully made up, make it ready to go riding one of a bike where you're made to have good posture.
Speaker 4: Oh that's it, and you sit up so you can really see all of them, yeah, you know, which is quite nice, rather than hunched over some handlebars low down where you end up looking at someone's brow. This is like, no, no, you get the full picture of the whole body. Yeah, everything presents itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because people can putty laughing.
Speaker 3: For Joe, you're you spent the first hour up against the glass.
Speaker 1: He did, he did, and then at a certain point he became aware of himself standing in his underwear looking out the window, full body length window. And we're only on like the second floor, so we're like very very close to these people's like, oh shit, they pulled the curd.
Speaker 4: We pay money to be in this position to be able to see what we've seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was like the opening scene from A Succession with guys up against the glass and smears smears himself on the glass.
Speaker 2: So what's the plan from here?
Speaker 1: We've got today as we're recording this, we don't have anything planned.
Speaker 2: We've got a free day.
Speaker 3: The recovery day after that quite traumatic twenty six hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we've decided to start our day off by getting straight back into the beers.
Speaker 3: Well, look at seven o'clock in New Zealand at the moment at night is so my by body is asking for a beer and who am I to deny it?
Speaker 1: So I think we're going to go into town, have a bit of an explore, maybe catch a train somewhere.
Speaker 2: We haven't really got a plan.
Speaker 4: Well, what we'd like to do is go to a beautiful Dutch village with a windmill. That's what I want to do. I've never been to a Dutch village with a windmill.
Speaker 3: Put some fingers and some dikes. Yeah, okay, yeah, that'd be good. Yeah yeah, And.
Speaker 4: I mean there must be lots of villages like that around the place. How hard is it. There's so many trains.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, they're so well connected.
Speaker 1: And then the day after that, obviously you said before, we've got the Heineken tour.
Speaker 3: Yes, we're all blacks at seven thirty, and then the Heineken we're getting a VIP tour of the heinekenfactory. And then the Heineke confactory are putting on a canal boat to bring us back with a full bar on it in the afternoon.
Speaker 4: How good are the canal boats because you lie down on these shays lounges and then the drinks get brought to you and you just have the trees over the top of you.
Speaker 3: And there's no issues weatherwise on a canal boat because you don't. You don't get hit by waves. There's no swell, there's no no one's going over the side unless you're massively wasted, which but must happen. Not great swimming, no, not great swimen in the canals. But then after that, I think we fly out very early the next day because of course we hear for the bier fists, so very early that next day we fly straight to Munich.
Speaker 2: Worryingly early.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I believe our flight's at like agent or nine in the morning, which means, you know, we need to be out there at about seven or eight, which means we need to be up at about sex and I just can't see that happening.
Speaker 4: Well, it's eight o'clock in New Zealand time in the night, so I think seven forty five, so we'll still be on New Zealand time at that stage.
Speaker 2: What's that in Germany?
Speaker 4: Though? Now no same time as the same time. Hey, I got a question for you. I was thinking yesterday when I was looking at the canal. So obviously there was a benefit to having canals back in the day instead of roads, because you could get goods and freighting. How was the freight like, were they sailing down the canals or were they rowing down the canals.
Speaker 3: Just big old barges I suppose, but I suppose they had tow them on something.
Speaker 4: But what about the Okay, there's barges, that's one thing, But then what about if you were in an individual kind of a boat, were you honest? Were you sailing down there? Because I mean there might there's no wind around here.
Speaker 1: And you're probably not rowing it because you wouldn't get two rowboats each other.
Speaker 4: In the sixteen hundreds, for example, what were they doing?
Speaker 2: Well, they there was a current. Yeah, they'll be flowing in one direction.
Speaker 3: And then they get to a lock and they get to a lock and they drop it down so it flows.
Speaker 4: Oh, you reckon all through the canals there's you can you only go one way with the current. Wow, I don't look like there's any current.
Speaker 1: Now you've got a motus, you could go anywhere you want to suppose, But back in the day, I'd imagine it'd be mostly current.
Speaker 2: The other thing is, I don't current.
Speaker 4: There's a current, and those like.
Speaker 2: The canals in England, there's currents. There's a current in the canals in England. They're not lakes, you know, they're more rivers.
Speaker 4: I would have thought it's just kind of flat with nothing. But maybe there is a current. I didn't think of it.
Speaker 2: I'll find out today on a river there to be a current.
Speaker 4: Canals are current, yeah, and the way that the canals are kind of all connected up, I don't know it'll be gentle.
Speaker 1: I do know that in certain parts they were sort of horse drawn or bullock drawn. They'll just go along the bank of your canal there and drag them.
Speaker 4: That would make sense.
Speaker 1: And in some places underneath the bridge you can see from years of wear from the ropes where they go, like around a corner, it'll just drill a hole straight through the.
Speaker 2: Bridge just from the ropes there. But I don't know if that's answered your question.
Speaker 4: No, no has maybe.
Speaker 3: Ropes, ropes and current all combining together. I don't think it's sales because you had to tack up when it.
Speaker 2: Would make you takes you forever.
Speaker 4: It's like, can you come over and visit me for a To be honest, the wind's going the wrong direction and they can't you bothered tacking into it. So let's wait for a couple of days until the wind, and then you've got a wind following a following sea the.
Speaker 2: Next day with a favorable window.
Speaker 4: Finisher up and go and see you.
Speaker 1: So once we get to Germany, we've got another day just to fizz around there. Have a look around Munich. Buy some leaderhersion, buy some Leader hoses, which you actually wore on the flight over.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, a terrible mistake. Terrible mustake. And breeze, Oh my god. Yeah, and you know, I get swamp pass and long haul balls like more than seven hours, it's not even long haul, and I start to really swamp up with those Leader hoos on. It was this next level seals in the flavor and it's just thick leather. So admittedly a fair way into that flight, I did take them off because they were really.
Speaker 2: Saying to dig in as well.
Speaker 1: It was funny when we got to the airport and people were asking you about the Leader hose and you said, oh, we're actually we're off to october Fest, and I'm just so excited about it. And they're like, oh great, so we're are you flying And You're like, we're going to do buy and then we're actually going to Answerdam for three days. And they're like, wait, so you're gonna have the leader hos it on for a week, and.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what, leader Housing, do not translate and do bai No, that does not breathe that leather. I mean the other part for you with that beef strogging off and the other beef cheek is that the leader housing hold on to gas, so it just ends up all the all of the fibers in the in the leather, just hold onto your gas. So you're walking around smelling like a dead farting animal.
Speaker 1: I think we should take a break in the second. But just before we do, I've just caught my eye on the mister Sam, the blazing mister Sam's it a fragrance you picked up in Dubai?
Speaker 4: Yes, I got. I got conned into buying a couple of fragrances actually by one of the best salespeople I've ever met in my life. This guy really newer stuff, and I've ended up with the blazing mister Sam and a Gucci something about autumn flowers or something good. You never I don't even know if I like them.
Speaker 2: The bottles great though, it's got like a it's got like a six panther on top of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, was that a ball? But each one was quite different. But yeah, that one's I mean, I like the bottle.
Speaker 1: You got back onto the plane in Dubai covered from head to toe and about a million different fragmances.
Speaker 4: You know, that guy who was the salesperson was spraying it all over me and then he went wrist, right hand, wrist, left hand, forearm, left forearm, right under the forearm, left under the forearm, right. Then I presented my left butt cheek. He sprayed my left butt cheek, right butt cheek, and then onto the balls. Yeah, was the final place that I was smelling it from. And I can tell you but mister Sam smells quite different on a long haul ball. It really really adds to the aroma. It's a completely different smell. He said. He never smelled anything like it.
Speaker 2: I never smelled anything like it.
Speaker 1: You were saying, the only part of you that hadn't been sprayed was the tippy a penis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could have dabbed it down like Joe.
Speaker 1: And I won't be falling for that trick again. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back and talk maybe about some sport the black Caps are playing at the moment. What's the time difference, and because it started at four o'clock in New Zealand time, which is sort of seven eight pm no am our time. But what's that in Sri Lanka. It'll be a different time altogether, wouldn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, eleven am is this that time which I've lost track?
Speaker 2: Butt?
Speaker 1: And then don't forget they're also taking a day off on Saturday so that they can.
Speaker 3: Vote yes so to oh yeah that tomorrow they're gonna have ptay off. I mean, the game is still going. Unfortunately, Zealand bowled out for three hundred and forty. They had Sri Lanka almost by the short and curleys when we're about we were to eighty for five, but he's going to collapse at the end there, and only got a lead of thirty five, which has been wiped off. Now Sri Lanka is seventy eight for one, so that lead is gone. What gives me, what gives my long haul balls a little bit of pain, is the fact that we're going to have to bat last on a pitch and they've got five spinners.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they know how to bowl on those pitchures too. And I think that's been the problem so far, is that our spinners because you just don't get to bowl on pictures like that. You don't know how to you don't know how to build pressure, and I reckon when spinners start taking wickets, you get a bit of a roll on. And if you're a new batsman and you're coming in to spin on a turning wicket, it's almost the hardest thing to do because how do you score runs? Like you know, you're actually trying not to get out first of all, but then you've got to find scoring options and if they're accurate and they just keep bowling in the same place, you've got to take risks to score.
Speaker 2: Your frustration builds.
Speaker 3: Is that webbling spinner's got all their wickets? Silver got two, Mendy's got three and jays Area got four.
Speaker 2: Did I see a rook when? All right?
Speaker 3: Yeah he got a five fer? So big willow Rook punishing, good looking? Well, I rock another five wicket bag for him. He's having a fucking great start to his Test career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he really is. He's I think he's a big unit And when I watch him bowl, if you're if you're facing a guy like that, it's weird because when you're watching on TV, you don't really think about it this way, but if you're actually facing a guy who's a big, broad shouldered unit who runs at you quite hard, it's quite intimidating. Yeah, and he's he runs in hard and he comes and he really tries to hit the wicket and it actually has a big effect on you. Is even as an international batsman that I reckon he was a heavy ball.
Speaker 3: The fact that he's our biggest strike weapon in Sri Lanka is a little bit concerning. He's got the only wicket in the second innings as well, when all the wickets were taken by the Sri Lankan spinners, and we're relying on the punishing a raw to come thundering in and take his wickets with which has to be wicket taking deliveries on a pitch like that, it's not seeming around a great deal.
Speaker 1: I think we asked Kyle Mills this, but do you think we'd ever be able to produce some good spinners here in New Zealand?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 1: Because we were saying it's the pictures, right, they are too green, But he was also saying that the fields themselves are too small, and so if you're a spinner. You won't be afforded the you know, the leeway to get tonked a little bit.
Speaker 4: It's the perfect storm if you're a spinner in New Zealand. Not only do the pictures not turn, yeah, they don't deteriorate, although last summer they did well. Bouncers right, yeah, so you do get one pictures that bound. You know, spinners love bounce, but but it doesn't break up. So you never get to bowl on those particular conditions. And it's different. I reckon bowling spin in that situation is different. So it's a perfect storm of the pitchers aren't right. The fields are small, so growing up in New Zealand there's no I mean, bowling spin in New Zealand's tough, yeah, because he get you get tonked and so you give up.
Speaker 1: And then your coach says, hey, just knocked that shit on the head, military medium, what are you doing?
Speaker 4: Try to swing the ball.
Speaker 2: He's Gavin Larsen, Willie Watson, a huge successes. Just just do what they did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it's no surprise and it gets sorry, no, it's no surprise that we were you know, apart from Dan Vittry, we've never produced a world class spinner.
Speaker 2: No, no, and even then he wasn't a prolific turner of the ball. He was just deadly accurate.
Speaker 3: Yes, as armball was is probably one of his biggest weapons, which is the one that doesn't turn.
Speaker 4: But he also amazing at predicting what batsmen we're going to do. Knew the psychology of what was going on and then could just workout of batsman so quickly with different variations of pace and flight and all that sort of stuff, which is clever.
Speaker 3: And in the second inning, sorry that just to go back to the actual sport of the game. Interesting, Tim Southy came on his third change in the bowling. So will I Rourke opened the bowling with AJ's battel first change, Mitchell Satner, second change, Tim Southy.
Speaker 1: And this is this is the problem, because now all of a sudden you've got Ages starting hasn't played for the Black Caps, and Ages and Ages, and then all of a sudden you're asking him to open. You know, this is the this is the hard part. The other thing is growing up in New Zealand, you if you've got a funky delivery, that'll get coached out of you straight away. Whereas in the India and Sri Lanka and stuff. They'll find malinga bowling round arm or some frog and a blender dude out of Bangalore.
Speaker 2: Coming in from the frog and the original prog and the blend.
Speaker 1: Bowling of his face to the skies and he's already appealing for the umpire his hand.
Speaker 4: You get a guy, you know, speaking of wed actions, You give a guy like Boomra who stutters his way in and then just off about six paces and then just whips it down last second. Yeah, you get You get some good freaks going on.
Speaker 1: Bomber could bowl that delivery and Twilight Crocket in any ground because he comes off the six paces, yeah, and generates about one hundred and fifty clocks off it and the bounce and does he bowl off the wrong foot or is that an optical illusion?
Speaker 4: I think it goes off the right foot. But his arm almost comes over the back of his head, and so his point of delivery is so high. And then he's got this wrist action that's super loose.
Speaker 2: He looks like he's going to hyper extend his knee and his delivery stride.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he does. He slams that front foot down.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So how do how do we think this one's going to shape out their lane?
Speaker 3: It's going to be, well, we've got tomorrow's the rest day. I hope that they do what they did in the back in the day on rest days, which was just get absolutely leathered with the opposition and then spin Saturday had just hung over, and then get back to their work day later.
Speaker 4: So the reason that they're doing a wrist days because they've got a vote there.
Speaker 3: Is a security issue. Okay, yeah, it's not around people not wanting to vote. It's about the fact that they can't.
Speaker 2: It's not just so that Kuzel Mendez can get to the polls.
Speaker 3: No, it's a it's a security thing that they do that in India quite a lot. They basically they plan sports events around their elections because they can't guarantee the safety of the of the stadium or the players because all the resources go towards the election. So that's going to be interesting. So day off, and I looks like New Zealand might need that day off at the moment because s Jamaica going along nicely eighty four for one, so they lead by a forty nine now so that they watch that creep up over two hundred anything, yeah, and so one hundred and fifty away and the New Zealand might be a ted of bother on day five.
Speaker 4: I reckon chasing anything more than two hundred will be an insane challenge.
Speaker 1: The other issue is, as you said, they've got the day off, it's in the New Zealand psyche to just go helpful leather on that day off. I don't know that that's a Sri Lankan you know, tradition. But when we see a day off in the middle of something, we're doing it right now.
Speaker 3: Exactly thing. It's like the night before any public holiday. It's just at like it's just for some reason we lose our minds.
Speaker 4: Their own goal specialists, absolutely absolute own goal special.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent.
Speaker 1: As we sit here cracking a beer in the morning, although again as you say, at o'clock at night now in our body clock, we are here in Amsterdam to catch a vibe for the for the bledder Slade, the first match, and as you said at the top of the podcast, Jerry, the vibe is out there. It's think it's heavy. People are talking about it. How do we feel this game is going to go? Because I've seen a lot of headlines this week and it felt like they were trying to con you into thinking this is going to be a tighter contest than I think it actually will be. I think they'll get blown out the Wallabies.
Speaker 4: I think so because they've been really really ordinary in the Rugby Championship so far. I mean they've been awful. That game where they just completely blew out of our second half, that was one of the worst halves of rugby from in the international side in the history of rugby, right up against Argentina against Argentina. So they are finding insane ways to lose matches. But we can't finish the end of a match, particularly well against the World champions and a team a really really good finishing team. But I would imagine that we'd wipe the floor of them. But you never know, a.
Speaker 2: Lot of pressure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's pressure out to wipe them, not just win, Yeah, wipe them out. So it's such a well, that's the thing that, Yeah, it's such a new Zealand mentality. It's like, don't we don't just need to beat Australiers, we need to humiliate them well, because.
Speaker 1: If we win by three that all of the articles will be like, wow, unconvincing, unconvincing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No one's talking about the unconvincing World Cup when that's there. If you got last year by wagging one twin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but surely it's better for looking forward for the next four years. It's better to be in this situation now. Yes, this is a good sign, isn't it. Like in the past, we've always hammered all sides for not doing well, and then the sides that have done really, really well in the interim years have never won World Cups.
Speaker 3: And we talked about this is that if you're going to lose ten in a row, this, here's a year to do it.
Speaker 2: This is when to do it.
Speaker 1: But I would also say that despite that, Razor does obviously feel a bit of pressure to win every single game. He is the coach of the All Blacks. No one wants to have a bad record as the coach of the All Blacks. So he's still pecking guys like Sam Kaine, despite the fact he knows he won't have him for the World Cup. Because you'd sort of look at it and go, all right, we've got four years till then, why don't we just start blooding a few new players. But then the other side of the ledger is this is an all black jersey. You can't just give these away lightly because really outside of Setiti, who's he brought in that?
Speaker 2: You know, Sam Deary, oh quite well, Tyree.
Speaker 4: Lomas isn't brought in, but he's played. I thought he's played particularly well. I thought our Type five has been pretty good and tremendous. Yeah, I reckon they've been good. Front row has been really good.
Speaker 2: Scrummage scrumming has been great.
Speaker 3: Lineouts off hot and cold, yeah, yeah, yeah, Actually the problem has just been we've played pretty well in patches.
Speaker 4: We played well against every guy. I thought both those tests we actually played better than them, but we just didn't get the result. We haven't been getting the result. We used to know how to win ugly, yeah, and now South Africa know how to win ugly.
Speaker 1: And that's actually yeah. That was actually the hallmark of the Crusaders for the last few years with Razer at the Helm, was like they looked at the rules set and said, right, these are what the rules are. This is how we're going to play rugby. Whereas I feel like for Ages New Zealand's been like, oh, we have this idea of how rugby should be played, and we're going to play it like that, but it doesn't seem to have translated to the All blacks.
Speaker 4: Nowser and I've got a theorist while boring our theory, but I reckon when you look to try and speed pay test rugby at pace, you can't. If you do, you have to make zero mistakes. So every single time you cannot drop a ball, you can't. You've got to throw the ball into the lineout. You can't get any lineouts wrong. You can't get anything wrong if you genuinely want to play the ball at pace, because as soon as you make a mistake, so you knock a ball on, they will just slow the game down completely. And then you get frustrated, and then you think we are trying to do this and we're not doing We're not achieving what we want, and that psychologically has a huge effect on the team. So much easier to slow test rugby down than it is to speed it up, and we've been trying to speed up. I'm not sure you can play like that anymore.
Speaker 3: Because we took it upon ourselves, though I felt like took it upon themselves to remarket the game as a free flowing champagne rugby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like retaliation for the Johnny Wilkinson area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and drop goals and man rugby. We're like, no, no, this is how you play it. We do a lot of that.
Speaker 4: We also do it in other aspects of New Zealand thing where we want to be the best in the world at like green things as well. We want to be the best at Greenhouse. Guess mission. Yes, I had no effect on the world, but we want to be the leader in the world and that sort of stuff. We want to be the front of the class with our hands up, teacher's pitt. That's our vibe.
Speaker 1: But I do think we're going to hunt them this week, and I think that's exactly what the all decks need. Get them back on track, get that winning feeling back into the changing rooms, and yeah, I think we're going to hunt them. So let's say quick break when we come back. We have been through a lot of edmund to try and put a punt on this morning.
Speaker 2: We'll walk you through. So we are here in Amsterdam. What's the name of the hotel? Now? Yeah?
Speaker 5: The hotel now, yeah, I believe it is h now or something in how in how in how anyway, we are on Amsterdam, and for those of you degenerates out there that have been abroad recently, you will know that most gambling apps are geo blocked, so you can't bit you know, from abroad. So we've been through about an hour's worth of Edmund this morning to try and get into the tab account because at the time we're recording this, it's actually a Friday night in New Zealand, so you've run back home. We're ringing to try and get these bits placed on for us and we're not capable at the pub blacked out drunk somewhere.
Speaker 2: They're on a bus, gone home.
Speaker 3: But I think eventually we managed to yeah track down Mash Mash Yeah. Well ironically it was the only sober when we got hold of so I'm sure what's going on there wrong.
Speaker 4: I don't know, is he sick, something's from there?
Speaker 3: Anyway, I got hold of Ham, so we've placed our hunch. And because we didn't have the app, I couldn't see the odds, so I just went for my hunch, as will. Jordan'll score a try at least anytime try scorer all Blacks are win by thirteen plus and all Blacks were winning out halftime, so I just multied that together and then he's placed the bit and sent it to me going, this is this is soft from you.
Speaker 2: Two because it's only paying two eighty six six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I didn't know the odds, so yeah, apologies, but that is my dad.
Speaker 4: That's a good to eighty six real it is. Yeah, you got to.
Speaker 1: Say no, and this is a good This is how I like to place my punts. As well as you think about what you think is actually gonna happen, yeah, then put it into the app because now on the new tab app you can put you can compile anything that you can think of. You can make a bed out of that, and then you have a look and see if the numbers correlate to where you had it in your head. You know, punting on the blind is actually a good way to get a good vibe check on how you think it's actually gonna go, because sometimes you can get luid into like, oh shit, that's been eight dollars fifty.
Speaker 2: Totally do that as well, yeah, because it's not going to happen.
Speaker 3: And actually Manas has come back with actually a good little multi that's already severe. Anytime tryscorer Caleb Clark first, second or third try scorer and overs forty six and a half and that's paying total points. Yeah, and that's paying fourteen bucks.
Speaker 4: That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Because as his.
Speaker 3: Theory on that is Artie will play eighty minutes, Caleb Clark will place at least sixty minutes, so he's in the conversation for first, second, or third.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pay us paint fourteen.
Speaker 4: So I like that. I like that good work from Mesh.
Speaker 1: Generally, if there's a blowout, it's just try score of bingo. You take the overs if it's going to be a blowout, and then you just have a stab at three two or three try scorers.
Speaker 3: So what was the overs forty six total points over forty six and a half time?
Speaker 4: Twenty three? Oh my god, I mean I don't need to be twenty three? All Yeah, that's that's good. Bet.
Speaker 2: We might do that by us bet that's a great bet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So can we do it?
Speaker 2: Or we've done it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: I have done it? Yeah, I did it. To the admin.
Speaker 1: Getting that bet on was actually longer than this podcast was. But anyway, the sun is beaming here in Amsterdam. We're going to venture out and see if we can find ourselves a bit of mischief. We'll be back at some point in the next few days.
Speaker 3: I think we're going to do the first ever a gender podcast alive from the Heide Confectory.
Speaker 2: Power from that because I've got a rooftop bar yet they've got. It's like, yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah. My feeling is a lot is going to happen from when this podcast finishes to when we do the next one.
Speaker 2: It would be quite a trip to listen to them back to back.
Speaker 4: Can imagine twelve hours.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go and make it happen. We will see you guys tomorrow for another episode of the Gender Podcast.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to the ACC's Agender Podcast, brought to you by Export Ultra. For more episodes, like and follow on iHeartRadio you get your podcasts