Speaker 1: Gilda.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is the Front Page, a daily podcast presented by The New Zealand Herald. The world of pop culture fandom was once on the fringes of society. Comic books, anime and sci fi movies have historically been seen as the realm of nerds living in their parents' basements, but in recent years, the power dynamics have shifted, and what once was considered niche is now very much in the mainstream. Blockbuster movies are increasingly being dominated by superhero and fantasy genre, and that's seeping into the world of prestige television, and everything from La Booboos to the latest Nintendo Switch console are flying off the shelves in ways that are taking their makers by surprise. To unpack why this side of culture is proving so popular, we're joined today on the Front Page by the academic dean at SAE Creative Media Institute, doctor Lorna Piati Farnell. So, Lorna, I want to start with something that's close to my heart at least for now.
Speaker 3: That's Laboo Boos. For those who.
Speaker 2: Don't know what these actually are, how would you describe them?
Speaker 4: Oh La Boo boos absolutely well, La boobas are dolls, I suppose, or plushes, depending on how it wants to look at it. And they've been described as little Elvish creatures and they're definitely inspired a little bit by Nordic folklore. They are fluffy, and they come in a variety of colors and with they have intended associated personalities. Some of the key features that make them stand out are these big white eyes and mischievous smile and they've got very toothy rims which are very cute. They've been released in different collections and connect each collection is being characterized by various different outfits, different facial features, different accessories, and I suppose that's what makes this collection drop really unique. And what is also unique about them is that they're released in limited numbers, so they are highly collectable and to some extent that is actually what has made them popular over the years.
Speaker 1: And really what truly people go for is that that.
Speaker 4: Really hard to get, but that adds to the excitement for potential buyers, and there's definitely a layer of prestige that comes from owning the latest and being able to share pictures in places such as Instagram. This reflects positively on the identity of the owner and definitely gives.
Speaker 1: Them points in the community.
Speaker 4: But also one thing that is particularly important to me is that this labititin Dominine seems to transcend age.
Speaker 3: Well, They've just become such a sensation. In recent weeks.
Speaker 2: There have been reports of hours long queues overseas to buy them, and even here I've heard that you have to get to the Westfield really really early, and even reports of some fights breaking out in moles in the UK over who's going to buy these Laboo boos.
Speaker 1: We'll get this.
Speaker 5: In Britain, consumers are going crazy over the La Booboo plush dog. There's been crowd shoving and reports of fighting in the long lines waiting for the collectible. The distributor has since halted in store sales across the UK. Online purchases are still available. La Booboo has exploded in popularity since coming out in twenty fifteen. You're gonna get one, I mean, how.
Speaker 1: Can I not.
Speaker 5: I mean, if it's not piprolary, I might as well get in line. And I love seeing it, So that's a borus as well.
Speaker 2: What I think is interesting as well is that you buy them, and you don't know what color you're going to get, so there's that added mistake around it.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely they come in blind boxes, so truly, you know, it makes that whole collector's value even higher because you need to try and buy more and more and more to complete.
Speaker 1: The latest release collection.
Speaker 4: But then you know, like you don't know what you're going to get, so the possibility that you may get more, you know, of the same one is higher and higher.
Speaker 1: And you have to bear in mind that.
Speaker 4: The moment something becomes very collectible, the price goes higher too. And while they may retail at a reasonable price, so let's say reasonable, once they are open, and once they are a particular color or a particular facial expression, particularly if it's a rare one, then it gets resold and that's when the price really goes up.
Speaker 1: And that's where the collectibility.
Speaker 4: You know, a value gets higher and higher, and you know, like you can see like internationally, you know on platforms like eBay, you know, the Boobo dolls going for in credible prices. But that's part of the chase, and that is part of the prestige that comes with owning those red dolls that no one else has in the community.
Speaker 2: I was trying to explain this craze to my mum and she came back at me with, oh, so they're like beanie babies or tamagotchi's And I was like, yes, so these crazes they are cyclical, aren't they. They do happen over generations.
Speaker 4: Absolutely popular culture trends. They go in cycles, things go in and our popularity. They may be similar items like in this case splashes or dolls, or they may be completely different. You know, they reach a peak and then more often than not, they either flutter away completely or they become you know, part.
Speaker 1: Of sort of subcultures.
Speaker 4: They still have an interest in there, but the mainstream doesn't give them as much attention. Now, what these trends actually do. They tend to either both shall we say, reflect, but also shape people's expectations or what is fun and what they do for entertainment, and they often become very much associated with particular context and particular objects. Now, this can range from wearing certain clothes to owning certain items, to even playing certain games or even engaging in.
Speaker 1: Particular pastimes, etc.
Speaker 4: And bear in mind that as a side note, there is something to be said for personal preferences that don't necessarily have anything to do with popular cycles and trends, but sometimes the mix and merge in the middle. So there is an aspect of trends that has something to do with feeling included and doing what feels cool, shall we say, especially big global popular trends, including watching certain shows or eating particularly instagrammable foods, which is one that I definitely indulge in particularly. But at the same time, when it comes to trends, there is also an aspect that is connected, shall we say, to self expression, which sociopolitically and culturally often goes way you know, like beyond you know, popular culture practices. It's about how people see themselves, you know, in these objects and in these activities. Now, popular culture, especially in fandom spaces, does provide platforms for individuals to express their personalities, to express their interests and their values through owning particular objects, sharing particular pictures, playing particular games, you know, like listening to particular music and so.
Speaker 1: On and so on.
Speaker 4: So trends can be expressions of identity. That's why they continuously come back in different forms, regardless of they might be, including in the content creation space, which of course attracts a lot of viewers and generate a lot of engagement.
Speaker 6: There is a sort of infantialization to all of these things to sort of wanting something like that, I think in your twenties. And you know this is not I'm not saying this is a judgment. I've talked before about cosplay and how that sung up in Japan after the nineteen ninety financial crisis. That retreat in a world that's basically failed young people, and I really do believe it has the retreat into childlike things and to comforting things and little treat in the absence and being able to sort of have any wider purchase on society I think is linked.
Speaker 2: I was listening to another podcast about La Boo Boos.
Speaker 3: And they brought up the lipstick index.
Speaker 2: How in tough times we buy affordable luxury items or something that makes us smile in order to make ourselves feel better. Is that a bit of what's happening here? A labubu is a sign of economic turmoil.
Speaker 4: Well, that is a very interesting question, and the lipstick index is an interesting phenomenon in itself, or alleged phenomenon, And I wonder if perhaps we can give a little bit of background to this. The lipstick index is an economic theory suggesting that sales of are full luxury items like lipstick or other cosmetics increased during times of economics or political hardship of both.
Speaker 1: Now, the term I believe was.
Speaker 4: Coined by Leonard Lauder as he apparently observed that lipstick sales seem to rise during and around at the time the two.
Speaker 1: Thousand and one global recession.
Speaker 4: Now, this often has been discussed in terms of it being a happiness index, you know, like that you one buys in order to feel happy. But it's not quite straightforward as that. I don't think it operates in similar terms with what we said about, you know, owning.
Speaker 1: The La Boo boos or other you know.
Speaker 4: Particular you know, the beanie babies, other particular you know, trendy items. The idea that we can own something that is different and it is unique, and in terms it makes us feel unique, even for just a short period of time. It feeds you know, even cosmetics they can feed into a sense of well being by being being associated with ideas of beauty or maybe cuteness, which of course are culturally constructed ideas, but that's by the vibe, and those inevitably are connected once again to ideas of self expression and ultimately belonging and acceptability.
Speaker 1: And I think a lot of the.
Speaker 4: Time with these trends, that's what it comes down to, that idea, that feeling of belonging, of being part of a community, and of standing out or within the community, that inevitably is associated with a sense of happiness.
Speaker 2: How much does this have to do with escapism. I've been interested to see, actually the lineup of movies coming to cinemas this year. We've already had two Marvel movies and still have a Fantastic Four movie to come. We're also going to get a new Superman, a new Jurassic World. So are we just watching all these movies in order to not think about the world as it is? I suppose? Or is that just what the movie end Stry is landed on.
Speaker 4: Well, I would say that escapism certainly plays a significant role in many popular culture crazes and fads or viral practices or preferences, including for genres such as fantasy or sci fi, but it is not the only factor at play.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: Escapism, like you rightfully say, can be a way to cope with stress in difficult times, and that does come into our current.
Speaker 1: Global situation for sure.
Speaker 4: But popular culture is often driven by a variety of complex interplays of social, economic, and even psychological factors. And then these include a desire for connection and for that sense of community, so we participate in these practices to feel part of the group. Now, on the note on genres such as sci fi and fantasy, which you know superheroes broadly belong to, they give us an opportunity to live in a different world for a while, to escape, to experience something remote from our everyday situations, and in so doing, I guess they stimulate our imagination but beyond what we know, and they're often highly entertaining, So the appeal is easibly easily explainable in those terms, and we can see why film and episode media producers have engaged with these genres even more in recent times. Now, sci fi and fantasy in particular are quite subcultural as well, but they have exploded into the popular culture scene and they can be sources of revenue beyond the media themselves. Avid fans of fantasy and sci fi are also well known to indulg in collectibles, in merchandise, and you know, in other activities connected to the movies and to the series. And this, once again, it really goes down to that feeling that we are owning a piece of our favorite films and our favorite series, of our favorite genres, and it makes us feel unique sometimes, it makes us feel different, it makes us stand out. Most importantly, there is an identity and community aspect that comes with that. A sci fi and fantasy are perfect examples of how the community can really give that sense of belonging through a media genre.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting as well, I think, because that's also cyclical, like Superman movies came to the big screen at the end of the seventies and Batman came back in the early nineties, and those genres are coming around.
Speaker 3: Every few years or so.
Speaker 2: I've actually also noticed how this trend has seeped into television. So the Hollywood Reporter is predicting that three of the Best Drama nominees at the Emmys this year will be Severance, The Last of Us, and and Or. So that's a trippy sci fi series, a video game adaptation, and a Star Wars prequel.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Rebellion. So the studios must know that this is what people want right now.
Speaker 4: Well, absolutely, and bear in mind that, you know, especially sci fi but also fantasy. You know, they they tended it historically, they tended to be relegated sort of to the margins, you know, like of the popular culture scene. You had these avid followings that some people thought that were a bit weird, you know, not.
Speaker 1: Not very fair.
Speaker 4: But either that was the idea, or perhaps fantasy was seen as too much for children, you know, fairy tales, Disney movies, that kind of thing. But you know, in recent years, you know, like there's been a lottle bit of breaking of those boundaries and even something like superheroes that.
Speaker 1: Would have been just seen as well like sort.
Speaker 4: Of low level entertainment have really exploded into the big popular culture scene. And they have moved, you or from just the cinematic scene into television, into streaming episodic media, you know, and the audience has grown immensely. It used to be just to the side. Well now it's truly mainstream. So definitely there is an idea that that trend, those fantasy trends and those sci fi trends have gone beyond the confines.
Speaker 1: If you wish of.
Speaker 4: The cinem medium and truly spread across our popular cultural practices. Well, one thing that's allowed this to happen is definitely streaming services. You know, the fact that we can have so many different genres and you know, experiment with different genres is started with Netflix, and of course we have so many different ones now where truly there is a lot of experimentation and we can cater to so many different tastes across our audiences. So that availability and that accessibility has definitely allowed genres such as sci fi and you know, a fantasy to become a lot more popular in recent times.
Speaker 2: Bragging that you're all about the Marvel Universe is like boasting that your mother still pins your midness to your sleeves.
Speaker 5: You can, if you want, like the exact.
Speaker 3: Same things you liked when you were ten, but if you.
Speaker 1: Do, you need to grow up.
Speaker 5: I'm not glad stan Lee is dead.
Speaker 3: I'm sad you're alive.
Speaker 5: And by the way, if someone says you're being childish and you react by throwing a tantrum, you're not iron man.
Speaker 3: You're irony man.
Speaker 2: One of the criticisms of you know, buying La booboos or video games or going to watch the New Superman movie. Is that it is a bit childish. So the likes of Bill Maher would tell us to all grow up and act like adults. Is there a bit of regression here, Launa, like, do we need to grow up? Is it bad for the world that we're spending all of our money on these ugly little Chinese trolls.
Speaker 1: I see growing up? Who wants to do that?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: You see?
Speaker 4: I think there is often arguably a misplaced belief that if something is entertaining, if something.
Speaker 1: Is engaging individually.
Speaker 4: Or as far as a group, if something is playful and it makes us happy, even for just a period of time, then it is childish, not proper to adult life, you know. But we need to be I think a little bit careful here because popular culture shows us you know that games and collectible and fantasy films, or you know, just fun and involved activities such as lapping. They are a great way for individuals to express themselves, to let them feel part of the group, to enhance their feeling of belonging, and to pass the time in terms of hobbies as well, and truly, in our post pandemic and hyper digital world. I think there is an ever growing need for connection, for feeling part of something you know, and you know, just not feeling alone. So you know, engaging in those activities or attending fandom events definitely.
Speaker 1: Can be part of that too.
Speaker 4: We still need to exercise a little bit of caution to make sure that everyone is safe and well being must always come first. It is central, I think to a knowledge how popular culture trends and practices, from watching fantasy and sci fi to buying laboos can be very meaningful to people. You know, they cannot be dismissed, especially in times of hardship. Well, you know, the support of the community and feeling like we belong and feeling part of something is very important.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to take my adult money and go buy myself a la booboo.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, you can all indulge in something that makes us happy.
Speaker 1: For a little while.
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining us, Lorna.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 2: That's it for this episode of the Front Page. You can read more about today's stories and extensive news coverage at Enzherrald dot co dot nz. The Front Page is produced by Ethan Sills and Richard Martin. Who is also our sound engineer. I'm Chelsea Daniels. Subscribe to the front page on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts
Speaker 3: And tune in tomorrow for another look behind the headlines.