Speaker 1: Our expectations around wealth and work are changing. For decades, you would earn a salary, take it home as your reward and use that to build your long term wealth. But is salary alone still enough to get you where you want to go? And could it be just as rewarding to have a real state in the work that you're doing. I'm Laura Marwick and I'm here with Susanna Batley of Chezy's Business and Andrew Morrow of Parts Trader, recently acquired for six hundred and fifty million dollars. We're going to ask them about ownership opportunities and how people really want to get paid.
Speaker 2: Investing involves the risk you might lose the money you start with. We recommend talking to a licensed financial advisor. We also recommend reading product disclosure documents before deciding to invest. Everything you're about to see and here is current at the time of recording.
Speaker 1: Sus and Andrew. Welcome to shed lunch.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Sus So. Cheesy's has recently conducted some research that showed that eighty percent of respondents see that they would take at least part of their remuneration in shares if they were given the opportunity. What does that kind of say to us about these changing expectations about the way that we're compensated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think you said it. Expectations are changing, and I think when you look at a range of factors that are converging, it's no surprise employees are looking at their pay and saying, actually, while this is important for paying the day to day bills, it's just not enough to build long term wealth. And in fact, when we look at data over a long period of time, wealth development does not come from wages. It comes from ownership. And I think employees are really spotting that and looking at what levers they can pull in order to make sure that they can build wealth over long periods of time.
Speaker 1: Actillary has sort of been like the definitive way to build your wealth for a really long time. Why do you think that people are kind of coming to this realization now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, a few things. One is that cost of living has increased substantially. And when we look over decades, capital markets have produced enormous wealth, but that hasn't necessarily flown through two wages. So, for example, let's take New Zealand. Since nineteen eighty, the stock market has produced returns of or has increased by almost forty times, whereas wages have increased around eight times. So you're seeing a massive divergence between ownership and the returns flown through owners versus our wage earners. So I think people are looking at that. And I think a really big factor is property. Where you've seen older generations been able to do very well through owning property, and I think younger generations are rightly seeing that probably those opportunities are not there for them. So what are other ways that they can participate in the capital markets in the growth of the economy. And I think that you know, this is clearly one of those leavers.
Speaker 1: And Andrew, You've spent years helping to build Parts Trader, and that sort of needed in this recent acquisition. Because Part Straighter had this employee share scheme, your team has gotten to have a share in that success. Why did part straight to choose to offer employees shares instead of maybe just like a higher salary more bonuses.
Speaker 4: Originated from one of the founders who had actually been quite successful with trade me and he's seen there the benefit of employees participating in the upside of growing value and also the philosophy that the employee is going to do a big part of growing the value. So when you're in an early stage company, you really have some good ideas, a thesis, really, but there's nothing there other than belief for people to show up every day, and so you really want to reward them and you want them to feel part of it and to act somewhat like owners because the original founders, the investors, the managers, they can't be everywhere. You know, we want people to grow with the business and to think like owners, to look after the customers, to make wise decisions. And you know, ultimately, in an early stage business you work more than forty hours a week at times, and times it's pretty tough and you have to keep going. The ownership philosophy and the incentive behind that is really valuable. So it's one part of it. The other part of it is, you know, the reward and at early times in a business, maybe you're not at the upper end of market salary. Sometimes you can't afford it. So how do you recognize and reward those people? And they are often attracted to ownership and doing something slightly different. There's a reason they've chosen to not be in a corporate and therefore there's some different drivers as to how they might be motivated and that kind of thing. But so you're sharing the upside, and I think that's a really important part of it. And that's where good owners and good founders, you know, really understand it that they're sharing the upside and so why not make the upside as much as you can.
Speaker 1: That's quite a philosophical kind of approach.
Speaker 4: Well, yes it is, but it also plays out economically if you can get it right.
Speaker 3: And to Andrew's point, that's that's why we get really excited about this as a mechanism for broad based ownership, because when it is done right, it can create that genuine win when you know, employers can benefit from greater retention, greater incentivization and really driving that employee owner mindset. And for employees, we can we see in the data that they can genuine, genuinely generate long term wealth through these schemes if there is good upside, so you know, done right, they can they can be a great win win.
Speaker 1: On that note of impact, Andrew, how have you seen the real impact of ownership from within the business, whether that's with employee retention or maybe improving culture with everybody having kind of a shared goal to work towards.
Speaker 4: We've got a New Zealander and US components to our business. So we had to have a plan that worked across both jurisdictions, and we looked at she is issuing shares or of sheer ops or things like that in natural in securities and both jurisdictions. Was hard. So we took a cash based, effectively phantom plan that operated on an annual grant to all staff the qualified and then that vested over three years, So if you left within the three years, you got no return because creating value takes a period of time, and so that was our belief that it was reasonable, and so we took that and at the end of the three years we cashed that period out. We set a target for sheer appreciation private equity sort of levels at twenty five percent compounding paranum, so a reasonable clip. Then if we achieved all of that, we got one hundred percent. Staff got one hundred percent of what the target was. You kind of doubled them three years. If you're compounding at twenty five percent paranum, which is pretty good. During time, we paid out cash along the way and that was that was a good reward because it ended up being a longer journey than we thought. But it also helped those people who had been for a while, some of the key people that we really needed to stay on. They ended up getting an annual bonus as a result of vesting. But these are the people who have been there for quite a long time now, so three years and four years and five years, you know, so it becomes that annual incentive. So it was very effective in that way. And it was also so we'd have the results to the valuation would be at the end of the calendar year and payment around March, and people would really look forward to that and it was a it was a moment and it became sort of the part straight or calendar, you know, like what's the payment going to be? How do we go? And so we got everybody aligned in the success in a place to an obligation on management to communicate really well to all staff. So culturally it was very effective about just doing all those right things reinforcing the behavior. If we as managers were behind on communication, we were asked and so we just fount up as a result. Terrific retention, you know, we've got some of the tech, and then at the end there's been an, i guess what's called a cliff festing of all the three tranches that were running. So on the actual payment settlement, which was first of April this year, that was all paid out in one go, so it was a nice, nice, decent bonus for people.
Speaker 1: It sounds like that's kind of the best of both worlds there where it almost is working like a bonus structure, but then there's also that sort of delayed gratification element of it as well. How did that feel to have the acquisition come through and know that that success was going to be shared in a very real way with the team.
Speaker 4: It's great because otherwise it's uncomfortable because some people have benefited and some people haven't, and not everybody's got the ability to put money away. So one of the discussions around this is how do you structure it? Should they contribute themselves as challenging because then you've got the ones whose personal situations permit them to contribute and others who are already maxed out and can't, or boarding others in their family or things like that. So if you can get something that is broad based at least for some level of participation, and you see at other levels, you know, executives do get often share options or other remuneration. That's that's kind of different to the broad based stuff we're trying to talk about here. So when you had the wide participation with everybody getting something and it's all related to the returns, it's compelling, it's resatisfying.
Speaker 1: Employee share schemes are maybe stereotypically kind of associated with these like high tech growth companies. SpaceX is the big example that maybe springs to mind, but these do also show up in other kind of business models, other industries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally. I think that it's actually quite a big myth is that, you know, option schemes or share schemes are just for tech, and that's absolutely not true. You know, we were with a range of companies, sort of larger corporates in different industries, whether that's energy or telecommunications or other industries over long periods of time, and often these industries have very long tenure. They can be a really meaningful part of someone's you know, misting for retirement. In New Zealand, we have a tax exempt framework that can work really well for broad based schemes and have some of the components that Andrew's been talking about, like three year vesting, and you know, we see employees that might have worked for twenty years, they've got one thousand dollars each year in these in these shares, and after twenty years with dividends reinvested, it's over one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Are there any other misconceptions that we tend to see crop up around employe ownership?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think sometimes it feels quite binary sort of you know, you're either giving shares or you're not. And I think that the scheme that Andrew talked about, a fantom scheme, is a great example where there are actually lots of different options available. You know, phantom schemes where you are tracking the share price so employees get the economic benefit of being an owner, but it's settled in cash rather than shares at the end. There can be a great example. I also think, you know, there is so much flexibility around contributions, whether that's employer contributed, it can be a hybrid of both. We think that they work really well where there is some element of employer contribution that is broad even if employees get the option of contributing over and above having some base element where everyone is getting a piece of that pie, a piece of that upside is very very powerful. Another point I would add in the data is that there is a lot of appetite for shares. I mean, that's what we found doing the research, is that eighty percent of employees will be willing to get some of their salary as shares, so overwhelming, you know, majority. But there is a big education gap where about two thirds of employees surveyed are not familiar with employee share schemes. So they want equity, but they're not familiar with some of their structures. So I think that's where a lot of the opportunity is. That's there is an education gap to bridge.
Speaker 1: And for employees who might not be super familiar with these concepts, how does ownership tend to pay off, Like, whether that's through acquisitions or through going public, how do they actually end up getting financially rewarded for structures like these?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so if you work at a company that is already listed, then that's obviously quite a big advantage because there's already liquidity in those shares. So once they vest in the yours. Then you can sell them any time, or you can hold on to them and reinvest those dividends over periods of time. For a private company, and the majority of companies in New Zealand are private, it looks a little bit different. Sometimes it is a big transaction like an acquisition that creates that liquidity event for employees to get to get paid or get the cash. Other times, for companies that have been private for a long time, they've created their own liquidity mechanisms, so they might, for example, particularly if they're profitable, be buying back shares every year so that employees can sell some shares and get that liquidity. And actually a really great global example of that Stripe, the payment technology company, where you're sort of assumed that Stripe would be listed by now, we have seen a real move for companies to stay private for much longer, and Stripe have quarterly windows, so every three months they're running an event for employees to sell their shares back to Stripe and get cash if they want so.
Speaker 1: Ownership, however, is no guarantee of having like a windfall, and in fact it can go the other way as well. There's maybe certain kind of scheme structures that might be more prone to exposure than others. And I think you might have a few war stories.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, I do some from personal experience investing my own money in companies that I've been part of starting. You could call that a shareplan of sorts, but more generally, when you're getting out into the wider things, when the share price goes down and you've got employees who are out of the money, it really depends if you ask them to borrow money to buy the shares, then they have a debt, and then they've got an asset with less than the debt. That's not a good place to be. So think about structuring. And certainly when you go out to all staff, they won't all understand the plan as much as you try and educate them and things like that to the pitfalls and things. And as an employer you are selling the upside. You've got to talk about the risks and be quite transparent. But it is a challenge to get those things right. So think about the portion of remuneration, think about whether it's employer contributed the bit that's at risk, and over and above, they still need to be able to pay the rent and pay the groceries and things like that over and above it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I completely agree. I think, particularly for broad based schemes, I think there should be that sort of base portion. I really think it is better if that's employee funded, because you know, all investing comes with risk, and you know, if anything, the world's got more volatile, and you know, who knows what can happen, and it can be total external forces that can mean that share prices reduced materially, that has nothing to do with the employees contribution. I was familiar with one case where it was in the healthcare industry. You know, healthcare workers are in high demand. It's really really important to be able to retain them. They had a scheme for reasons sort of outside of the company's control. The share price dropped materially, and so because employees were asked to buy in through and through a loan with the company, suddenly you know, their shares were worth far, far less than the loan they had, And that goes from what could be quite a good incentivization tool to incredibly disincentivizing. So, you know, I think that for a broad based scheme, it tends to work better when it is open above that base pay and it is employee funded.
Speaker 1: Let's say we're in the shoes of an employee who's maybe got the option on the table of taking either a higher salary or taking a portion of that remmuneration as equity. What are the trade offs that they would need to consider in making that decision.
Speaker 3: I'd say, first of all, make sure you really understand the detail. So you know, there are often tax implications, so make sure you understand those. Making sure that you understand, you know, what the what the goal is of the company if it's private, is there a target window in terms of getting acquired or some sort of other events. So really try and understand, you know, what the terms are of the offer, what that actually means, and the you know, your employers should be communicating that well because that is really important for employees to understand. But yeah, I'd be thinking about is this company company that I really believe in? Is this a company that I think is going to do really well? And I think really think about you know, if it's not. If I'm not taking that and I'm taking your higher salary, then how us I make getting ownership because wealth development does come from that. You know, a wage is fixed it's you know, it doesn't have that upside that ownership and you know shares or you know, in the past property. I think that for when people thinking about their long term wealth, it is really important to make sure that you are participating in that upside. Somehow.
Speaker 1: You sort of touched on tax there, and I know that tax can be quite complex complex in this domain. What are some of the other risks that you kind of want to understand before you say yes to getting issued employees shares? I mean, concentration risk is one.
Speaker 3: You know, if you're working for that employer and you're getting shares as part of your muneration too, you're pretty tied in and pretty concentrated to that opportunity. I don't think that's necessarily necessarily a reason not to do it, but it is just going in eyes wide open. That would be one that I'll be thinking about. And I also think that liquidity risk as well, like really thinking about you know, when the timing of that what needs to happen in order for me to actually get paid cash and for this paper value to turn into cash, which ultimately at some point in time needs to do for that to be the reward that you want. It to be, and.
Speaker 4: Markets go up and markets go down, and fortunes go up and go down, and so it's not it's not a straight line. So I think you've got to think about your personal situation. And Susanna says, maybe put some. It depends on your risk appetite. So I did broke, didn't break the rules. I chose to concentrate. And it's you know, it works out sometimes and other times it hasn't for me. So do what you will. But you could take a portion and put it into a fund that you know, maybe shares as well as your employer if you've got the choice. And it does change things. And these things are done for capitalist reasons. The holders are expecting a return on this investment and the employees over and above things, and it does, you know, it becomes a hearts and mind's game. So the mind being the logic. I'm going to go to work, I'm going to do my job. But the hardest I'm an owner of this business. I actually I care over and above my nine to five and my colleagues are invested in this, in this together, and that is powerful, and that's where you know you can create value. You can get through things you can innovate and do more creative stuff, not so you can't do it otherwise, but it just sort of triggers and supports all of that, triggers the why behind doing all of those sort of extra things, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 3: I think that's such an important point, and I think it does. I think it does change you when you become an owner and really changes the mindset that you have. And what's really interesting is at Shares is when we've sometimes done customer interviews, their employee equity scheme is often their first foray into ownership outside of the KIPI saver, and so it can be really the start of a journey of wanting to become an owner and thinking about capital markets and a whole different way than they had contemplated before.
Speaker 1: It's like a gateway drug.
Speaker 3: Done the best way.
Speaker 1: So you're both real champions of this kind of ownership culture for you both looking ahead, what would kind of the ideal pay packet look like, say, ten years down the line, is that still mostly salary? Is it looking like a higher portion of shares?
Speaker 4: Certainly, for me, ownership's key and has been part of what I do for the last thirty years. So I wouldn't take a job without it, And to the extent I started an own company because I thought I should have been paid more out of an exit that I've done a lot of good work on and that didn't go so well, So I got the lesson there as well.
Speaker 3: I think in ten years, what I would want as this really to be the expectation for employees that their remuneration does include ownership, and that that expectation is on employers as well, is that actually, if I want to a trait and retain the best talent, then employee equity has got to be part of that mix. Also, I think that over the last decade, we've seen this, you know, this massive gap in terms of you know, capital markets growing, but that being shared by far too fewer people and not being translated into higher wages necessarily. And I think, if anything, that's actually going to increase with AI and I think that we're going to see a wider gap between returns accruing to owners versus returns accruing to wage earners. And so I think it's actually going to be even more important for people to raally think about how do I get how do I participate in the markets. How do I participate in ownership because I think otherwise the wealth gap can increase. It's interesting in the research, eighteen percent of gen Z employees have got equity as part of their last pay rise or bonus, and that's versus three percent of gen X and our baby bombers. These Gen Z employees will keep advancing in their careers and will be more senior, and I think that we are just seeing this wave of this younger generation come in expecting more in terms of equity. So my hope is that that really sort of changes things in quite a material way. And the norm is just you know, equity is part of remuneration if you want to attract the best talent. I think the other thing that I would say is, you know, in the US, there seems to be this culture of employee equity that has been around for much longer. And it was interesting. I was talking to a director who who is American who's come to New Zealand and she was observing. She said, you know, it's fascinating in the States for middle managers and above it is the big thing you're negotiating is not your base pay, it's your equity. Like it's your incentive that is the big thing you're negotiating, she said. In New Zealand, we just haven't sort of got that culture yet where you know, we're quite fixated on wages, and yes, wages are important for paying the bills, do not get me wrong on that. But you know, we do need a mindset where we are thinking about that upside, thinking about that equity, and I think it's coming. So I'm excited to see, you know, how that translates in the next decade.
Speaker 4: As an employee, when you do get your share ownership, my stages is that you show up to work like an owner and you think and act and innovate and create and work with your people and your customers and everything like that like an owner. So then it becomes self fulfilling for the owners to do more of this because it's sharing and with the people who are creating a big chunk of the wealth. But Sinceana says, most of it, you know, through the way things are structured, goes to the owners right now, and.
Speaker 3: It can really change behavior. Like you know, when I go into my local four square, I always get amazing service and if I'm looking for a product, you know, they will always do whatever they can to help me. And you know, that real owner mindset just comes through so strongly, you know, whereas you know, I can be in a large retail store where you know the employee is not incentivized at all, and you know it can be pretty impactful the difference. So, you know, the more that we can be driving and empowering that ownership mindset where you know the employees do feel that discretionary they to make that discretionary effort because they do feel, you know, truly like an owner. It's yeah, it's hugely beneficial for the company for you know, wider economic benefits.
Speaker 1: And do you think it would be fair to say that actually for the employee it might make their work feel more meaningful as well, because you're not so alienated from like I'm just punching the clock for the benefit of somebody.
Speaker 3: Else totally, I mean real agency.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely. And then the other thing is that your conversation is mature and in terms of level understanding, and you know, things going really well and we're all hanging in there for this new customer when or whatever, and then you know something's going on in the operation, so we will pile it and you're in it together, and together we're stronger.
Speaker 1: So if you, guys, we're having a conversation with say a young New Zealander who might be going looking for their first job, or just anyone who's looking for a new job, what conversations would you encourage them to be having when they're sort of in those salary negotiations. I would be asking about it.
Speaker 3: I'll be asking the employer, you know, what mechanisms they have for me to get equity or get some sort of incentive. And I think as an employer, that should be great news. If you're hearing an prospective employee wanting to get that upside, wanting to get that incentivization, I would have thought from an employer, that's you know, that's a really that's a green flag.
Speaker 4: It's an absolute green flag. And also the share ownership takes a bit of time. So if you think, you know, certainly early in careers sometimes people changing around, they're actually not going to get that much benefit from you know, if they're changing. But if somebody's coming in with my ideas, keen, enthusiastic, committed and talking about equity, thinking I'm going to invest in this person, I'm going to train them, I'm going to support them, I'm going to fast track them in terms of trying to encourage them to go for it. So so it becomes self fulfilling, you know, for the firm, for the company, and also for the employee. Not everybody's going to give that to you straight up. Way. You might have to earn it, you might have to qualify for it, but if you don't ask, you don't get. And also we're all in sales. It doesn't matter what our job is, so you do need to just say listen, I'm so committed. I'm prepared. I really like your company. I've done the research on things like that. I'm prepared to take some remuneration and equity as opposed to pure cash salary. Even if you don't get it, you're more likely to get the job for a start, because that's a powerful statement and then also shows belief and people will ask you what are you going to do about it, and say, well, I can't tell you all the answers. You have to hire me first and then I can show you. But you sort of get into this much better conversation, and it also changes the way you'd even think about going to a job interview, you'll show up thinking about making the place better and for customers, for shareholders, for their community, all those sort of things.
Speaker 1: Thanks very much Susan Andrew for joining us today, and thank you to you for tuning in. We'll see you next time. Quite h