Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks at b follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio. This is Sportsfix howard By.
Speaker 2: News Talks Ed b Ahway. Hello there, man, Welcome on the in to the SPORTSFECSAT is a Tuesday, the twenty sixth of November twenty twenty four. I'm Darcy Waltergrave and coming up in this edition shortly we'll speak with Campbell Burns's format first five eight fort Manu Sama, currently the rugby news editor around the best first five currently playing an international rugby Interesting discussion there is it, indeed, Damien McKenzie, No, I've got some opinion for you around the treatment of the Black Caps by international cricket commentators and how we're really looking forward to stuffing it right up them come that Test series up against England. We joined in the chamber by Alex Powell, digital sports editor for New Zealand Herald, and it's been look at the big sports stories of the day, among them that English cricket team that has been named for the first Test in or Dutahi christ Church getting in the way on Thursday. That is our plan, stick around, stay amongst looking forward to delivering you Sports Fix for Tuesday, the twenty sixth of November twenty twenty four, in other News and in Sports Today and you face will bat at three four England in the first cricket Test against the black Caps, studying Thursday and Auto Day christ Church, Warwickshire bat Jacob Bethel will debut at the spot, with Oli Pope keeping wicket and batting at six the absence of the injured Jordan Cox. Teammate Joe Roots holding high hopes. I love the look of him as a player. I've known Jacob and his family for a long time and it's been lovely to watch him grow up as a player coming through. He's full of confidence, he's got great ability, got a really well rounded game. India have crushed Australia by one hundred and ninety five runs and the opening cricket Test of their five match series. It's in Perth that game. India stand in captain Jasper Boomer was player of the match after returning figures of eight for seventy two. Is Australian counterpart Pat Cummins has outlined their plans between now and the second pink ball fixture at Adelaide which starts next Friday. You know, clearly well off the mark. There's a lot to work on. So you know, the most important thing is is four.
Speaker 1: Test patch is to come.
Speaker 2: You know, what's the next move? How do we make sure that we haven't been in this position again? And the Tall Blacks have overcome a sluggish shooting display to beat Chinese Taipei eighty one sixty four in christ Church, booking their place in next year's fever Asia Cup. Coach jud Flable says their lower ranked opposition applied pressure. Got to give them some credit. On the defensive end.
Speaker 3: They forced us out of our rhythm and in that space there just we went quite on the front foot as what we would have liked beating.
Speaker 1: We've got just the ticket. It's Sportsfix by News Talks IVY.
Speaker 2: We're joined now by Campbell. Burns is rugby news editor, co editor of the Rugby Oma make former first five eighth playing four months summer as well. Campbell was a pleasure to welcome to the program. I trust you well, Thank you, Darsey.
Speaker 3: I'm very well and actually looking forward to a bit of a summer break after a smagers board of rugby.
Speaker 2: It's been a long old season. But we've only been reporting it. You've been writing on it, We've not been playing. So that's a key thing. Let's look back at this. I suppose I've seen marks out of ten for this season for Scott robertson comment left, right and center at what he's done right, what he's done wrong? In a broader sense of it, Has this been a successful season for you? And based on what Campbell.
Speaker 3: Yes and no, I would I mean a ten to four record. They might have taken that at the start of the year, but we look closely at the Orbecks with more scrutiny, so we look at performances. So I would say that we yet to get their four eighty minute performance. We've seen ten rookies lot it, which is nice and glimpses of very good rugby, but still a lot of questions about this allbacks team, particularly around the game management and their back line. I think the Fords have taken some good strides there, but yep, there's still work to do in a few rocks under those beach towls.
Speaker 2: During summer, Damien McKenzie, he had the teen jersey to start to eventually relinquished it, got it back again has been named as the first five eighth of the year by World Rugby. Interesting call, two things, Where do you think he ranks and who was the best first five eighth in global rugby currently?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm here to tell you it's not Damien Mackenzie. Much as I like him as a super rugby player and a rugby player in general, he got kicked very well. We know that he played very well against Ireland and in patches he showed his talent, but he didn't really take control as much as we would have liked to have seen. And that's why Boden Barrett, you know, who's perhaps a safer pair of hands, came in two or three games. Who is the best first five in the world while on form likes of Finn Russell of Scotland, Thomas Ramos has come in and played very well for France, and Marcus Smith of England, who's a player they need to England does need to build their game around. I don't know whether they quite fully trust him yet, but he's a man with a wide skill set. So those three I would have thought would have ranked higher than Mackenzie. So to me that was an interesting call, not one I would have agreed with So yeah, considering McKenzie's not even the best number ten in New Zealand on form at the moment.
Speaker 2: And very shaky that ten role about where Robinson's actually going with us, and of course we've got the shadow of Richie Moooner over the whole selection process too. Where do they go and should there be alarm bells ringing around this? This is the forkrum, this is the key selection in the side. We don't appear to be much wiser about where the team's going with that.
Speaker 3: I think Robertson's banking on Richie Mohner coming back and that will there's a fair bit of water to go under the bridge there to get him to break the last year of his conduct in Japan. He's definitely the man who will take control Raizer gets the best out of him. People's talk about, oh, he hasn't done much in two World Cups. Will he has? Actually he's played pretty well in the last World Cup in particular, but I mean just a world class ten. So he would definitely be the man. If you think that they can get him back from July next year, that would be great or at worst in July twenty twenty six, but he's still only thirty years old. Richie Mormer, I think he's got plenty left and he would slot straight back in because Robertson's shown he goes with men he trusts, like Scott Barrett as captain for instance, and a lot of these fringe crusaders. So I think he's putting all his eggs in the mauna basket. So we'll see whether he gets back next year or.
Speaker 2: The year after. Interesting, Campbell that you mentioned Scott Barrett the a few word or words around that maybe he might not be the ideal guy and maybe the captaincy needs to change. Do you want to expand on that for us?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not convinced about that. I mean, Scott Barrett's still he's still a very good footballer. He's a starting lock. People are worried about his discipline and the main and that yellow card, I mean it was a crock rider was probably a marginal call on the weekend against Italy. He yeah, I mean he's had a couple of yellow cards. The aubec's discipline as a whole hasn't been that great, to be fair, But I don't think that's on Barrett's shoulders. And again I mean Robinson will always go with the man he trusts. That's why Foster went with Sam Kaine as his captain. I would have a problem with Ardie Savia captain per se, but it's a question of whether the coach is fully in sync with him, So I don't think the captaincy is a major issue. Barrett's place as the starting lock is not in question, So yeah, those sort of questions are more just a retaliation to the fact that the Albek's discipline hasn't been what it should and it was a.
Speaker 2: Pretty average final game. I think that the Blacks one on the scoreboard, but Italy won the night in my personal opinion. Let's leave things Campbell burns with this areas of weakness. Where is the tender underbelly position wise for this all Black team. If you were to ring alarm bells, where would you be ringing them? Well?
Speaker 3: Probably she a combination of that ten, twelve, thirteen. Jordi Barrett's the best twelve, but who should be going at ten more and might fill that hole? Ezraco? Are you only the best center? Shannon Frazzell could come back and definitely fill that number six position, but I think some apeny fee now has a future there as well, so those three positions, perhaps the right wing, so three or four there. I think the type five is looking pretty promising, but I wouldn't say there are necessarily areas of weakness, but those are areas of concern as far as making the whole part work in the allbacks and generally speaking, the Fords are looking pretty good. We just need to nail down that blindside flanker position and I think Frazell could be the man coming back to do that, And then a f Ritchie Morre comes back. I think the rest of it will flow from there.
Speaker 2: Rugby News editor and co editor of the Rugby Almanac, former first five eight firm some Moa Campbell Burns. We thank you very much for your time. Now get out the deck chair, grab yourself on mahito and do nothing for a couple of months.
Speaker 3: Our try my best, does he.
Speaker 1: This is Sportsfix, your daily does of sports news. Cowered by News Talks.
Speaker 2: EB the girl of the guy, Rabbi SHASTRII fantastic player. It's a coach of India, an all rounder of some repute Test cricket. One day Internationals, so on and so forth, and also owner of the worst pair of sunglasses I've ever seen on a cricket commentator. But it doesn't matter how he looks, It's all about what he says. And I appreciate that. Over the length of a Test match, even though it was mercifully short for the Australians over the weekend and the length of a Test matcher can be very difficult to keep the energy up, to keep the information up. But when I hear a guy like Rubbish Shastra casually dismiss the black Caps outstanding effort over the Indians in their own backyard three zip series went outstanding. When I hear them dismiss this as all it was a problem with the pitch and nothing else, how dare you? How dare you talk to millions of people and not give the credit that the black Caps deserve for what they achieved. Australia probably hate what the black Caps did. They awoke the sleeping Giant, although I've said on many occasions before and I'll keep saying, they weren't asleep, they were in a coma. Somehow they managed to get it back together, revived and came back to slap the Australians in a manner not too dissimilar the way the black Caps managed to slap them at home. But the sheer arrogance of Rubbish Shastri, the sheer arrogance of a lot of these Indian commentators, and their ridiculous adulation the idolization of the Indian cricket team makes listening to their commentary extraordinarily uncomfortable. Likely I've got a mute button, so I'd have to listen for much longer. Look, I get it, you're idolizing this team. They can't do anything wrong, and probably the BCCI leaning over you to smack you in the mouth if you say anything mean about the Indians. But please some respect for a side that did something quite extraordinary in your own backyard. It wouldn't kill you to recognize the facts that the black Caps beat the Indians in India. It's in the record books now and it won't go away.
Speaker 1: The Chamber is now in session on Sportsfax.
Speaker 2: And it's Chamber time again, this time joining me to discuss the big sports stories of the day. Digital sports editor from New zeal Herald, Alex Pale, Good day to you, So I trust your well I'm good.
Speaker 4: Note, how are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, no, good? Good? Good? Looking forward to another huge week. I say huge because come Thursday is the Test cricket that we've all been waiting for. But before we start talking about that, he's still got another sports story today. This has been the most telescoped signing in Breakers history. Finally it's over the line. Taco Fall is the new man, the new Center, the eight million foot high center to turn up for the Breakers. We all knew this was coming. They just had to get rid of somebody, right.
Speaker 4: Yeap, And they've done that. No. Look, I think I mean we had this exact conversation couple weeks going to try about what he brings. He's bums on seats, people want to come and watch him. Everyone loves a big unit. I think that's the basic way you can sum it up.
Speaker 2: Well, it's all like, is there a beard of lady turning up as well? I don't want to diminish what he can do, because I'm sure he's a great basketball play, But yet that sense, don't you around it?
Speaker 4: I think it takes both boxes. Yes, you've got the novelsy factor, but he's also a blood good play. He's plaint in the NBA. Yeah he's what is he nine feet tall? Is that we're finalized?
Speaker 2: I've got no idea. We'll just throw something out too.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, is this our chance to bin off the imperial measurement system? Because I know he's two point two meters? So whatever that is is how it's a I find that bizarre.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's an American thing, but I have been alive for fifty five years, and as long as I've been alive, we've run the metric system. Yet people still indulge in pounds and feet and stone and inches. And this is a sports program. I shouldn't be talking about that, but it drives me insane. Say but is he two meters?
Speaker 4: Two point two metersre?
Speaker 2: You go look at that. We'll try and remember that. So when he finally gets unleashed expectations, he'll provide a wonderful role on the scent. I mean, you love a guy like that, there, wouldn't you.
Speaker 4: You'd hope. So that's what he'll do.
Speaker 2: But again, let's see how he goes. Yeah, and the Breakers they're on a bit of a tear, so he's got a lot to live up to. But it's great that finally the cats out of the bay. We've got a Tarco fall is our man of the hour, right, that's got that tight up. What about BJ Jake? Who the hell is bj Jacobs?
Speaker 4: Well that's a very good question. I tell you who answered it. The Mumbai Indians of course, going for what's sixty thousand at the IPO auction day two overnight. It's sort of come out of the blue. I mean you look at some of the sort of well, it's completely come out of the blue. You look at you know, Caan Williamson didn't sell, Daryl Mitchell didn't sell. You know, a host of black Caps couldn't get a contract. And this guy who's never played into game for his ount, and I might have to say probably won't gets a gig. I mean, he might not play, but he's going to be over there and he's gonna be rubbing shoulders with some of the best players in the world.
Speaker 2: So that's just awesome for him. Not a great deal of money, but I wouldn't turn my nase up at sixty k for a few weeks work exactly that? Where anybody? No where did he come from?
Speaker 4: Were he South African? No?
Speaker 2: No, not that? Where did he come not know where he came from. We know he's like South African out of christ Church up to Auckland. I believe it goes. But as far as his cricketing cricket comes from, apparently he's a T twenty player of some repute. He's got quite the average.
Speaker 4: He I mean, he's been playing first class cricket and one day cricket for Auckland and Canterbury as well. But T twenty a pair to be the game that suits the most. It's just a hitter, right, just one of these these massive biffers of a ball who can.
Speaker 2: Just smack it anywhere. So he's got a strike rate what one hundred and eighty eight, So I suppose the average doesn't really matter, does it.
Speaker 4: That's the figure you look at, how how many runs per hundred balls to strike rate. If he's had in one hundred and eighty eight runs per hundred balls, he's pretty good.
Speaker 2: So I think the exposure to that particular league and those players, even if, as he said, he doesn't play, that's the most important thing, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Well not only that, but he's gone to Mumbai, Indians who owned teams all around the world, if he goes there and does things right way, he can get a gig playing in Major League Cricket for Mumbai Indians New York. He can get a gig in South Africa form by Indians Cape Town.
Speaker 3: He can get a.
Speaker 4: Gig in the UAE for Mumbai Indians Emirates.
Speaker 2: So the next question, right, if that is the case, would he ever actually play internationally for New Zealand regardless, because he might have a career just bouncing around the planet being being a mercenario.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's the way it looks like it's going, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the way it looks like it's going for cricket. Falls up your line. Cricket out there, Sidy. I'd love to play for the black Cats, but you know what, I really like the money as well. Damn, never mind, let's move on to more cricket. The Test is coming up on Thursday, so much on this Test match. The eleven has been announced for the English side, not announced yet for the black Cats, but we've got a rough idea of what it's going to be.
Speaker 4: We never but announced that which side which one? John new First one New England or England. England have announced that batting at number three will be Jacob Bethel, who's a twenty one year old out of Warwickshire, born in Barbados, but playing for England. Has never made a first class hundred, never batted at number three in his first class career, so that's a really rogue bas ball left field pick. Yeah, who knows what did he base it on exactly? He's played a bit of white word. But their wicket keeper, what's his name, Jordan Cox, got injured in the nets. I have it from pretty good and tell that that injury was inflicted by none other than agent Jet and Jet and Patel who's now working with England. So chess to that Jeets. But they didn't take a second wicket keeper, so they've just got no one. They've had to give the gloves to old Pope and normally bats number three. He drops down the orders number six, Ben Stokes, the captain has had to move down a place a number seven. So that's a moral win for New Zealand. If the captain's moving around, it's just a bit all over the shop. They could name another work at keep it to fly out, but you know, because England and New Zealand is so far apart. There's just no time to get someone here.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this sounds a little ravishastra to me, just dismissing the black Caps as nothing. It doesn't matter what we do, will turn up, we'll whack them anyway.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's just the black Caps. I think England know that if they play their best cricket, if they play their best goal, if they drink the most red wine on tour, they'll probably be all right because that's what's worked for them under McCullum and Stokes. But again, this one is really roke.
Speaker 2: What about New Zealand? Where do they go? What are the arguments around? Will Young get selected over? Came Williamson? No sounds like no, no.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, so Gary Stead spoke yesterday at the time of recording and he said, came, Williamson will come straight back into the side. Don't see will Young going at the top of the order because you're not going to drop Tom Latham because he's captain. Devin Conway returned to form in India. Ratchen Revengder is basically undroppable now number four. Daryl Mitchell came in it. He found a bit of foreman Mumbai and he's just got buckets at first slip, so you're not going to get rid of him. And then after that you've got the work keeper in the bowlers, so there might just be no room for well young. What is going to be interesting though, as Gary Stead said, they're going to play four quirkes, which means they're going to have to give a debut to one of Nathan Smith or Jacob Duffy.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Smith the Duffy. What's the argument here because it's teening towards Smith, isn't it.
Speaker 4: I'd say it's Smith. They've given us a huge clue today because they put Nathan Smith up for media and you don't tend to do that's a bloke running the drinks. But Nathan Smith is a bowling all round. Jacob Duffy is just a specialist. Quick you think Duffy doesn't give as much balance to the side as Smith, as you know, even though he's been in that team and around that test squad before. I think Smith is going to play. I think it should be confirmed within the next twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: And on that, Alex Powell out of the chamber. You go Digital Sports Center for The New Zealand Hill Thinks as always for your time and your Taco four dissecting the sporting agenda.
Speaker 1: It's Sports Fix with Jason Vine and Darcy Waltergrave Don dusted.
Speaker 2: That's Sports Fix for you on Darcy Walter Grave. Thanks very much for listening. If you've enjoyed it, please subscribe, which means this will turn up in your inbox on a regular basis Monday right the way through till Friday. Out of its talkback you're after, feel free to tune on in and contribute to Sports Talk at seven to eight pm Monday to Friday on News Talk ZB. Of course, Jason Pine he has the controls of the show between at twelve and three Saturday and Sunday on News Talk ZB. For weekend sport, tell your mates, Tell your friends, Tell your family, get a monkst let everybody know about the joy that is Sportsfix.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk ZEDB, listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcast on iHeartRadio