Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News Talks. I'd be act.
Speaker 2: MP Karen Tuer has said that Parliament no no longer feels like a safe work environment for her after the recent debate around youth offender boot camps and other legislation has turned from criticism against legislation to personal attacks against her, much of this coming from Tapati Mari saying what quote is the quote here? How sad that you have been made a puppet of your party and posting on social media that she was raised Parkire with a disconnection and disdain for her people, and she isn't the first to highlight the hardships of being in Parliament, but is it getting too much with the personal attacks and the tone of the whole place. Joining me is former Speaker of the House David Carter. Good afternoon, Good afternoon too. Yeah, thanks for your time. How closely have you been following Parliament in the last little while in the tone of these debates and attacks?
Speaker 3: I certainly don't watch Parliament on a daily basis. I think I think watched it once, so I've left. I spent twenty six years in question time. But however, I do keep in touch with media. I certainly watched news everything most nights, so I can sense that the tone of Parliament is declined and it's a worry to me, particularly with regards to race relations.
Speaker 2: Is it just a question of some politicians needing to lift their game?
Speaker 3: Well, I think yes, but this idea, Yes, yes it is. It's the short answer to question. But identifying which of those politicians need to lift their game is a more difficult question. They all are mature people. They've all been elected legally to Parliament and the voters that elected those people expect them to be responsible adults and to behave that way and to be there certainly to argue their party's policies, et cetera. But they should all be there for the one thing, and that's to make mow Zilds a better.
Speaker 2: Place on the issue of race. And of course we've got the Tree Prince Principal's Bill as well, with that active brought forward. Are we actually no, not a we? Sorry? Are the people in Parliament actually capable of having a discussion on this in a civilized way or need to take it off the table for them like a bunch of toddles who can't aground which toy to play with?
Speaker 3: No, I think we should be able to have a rational debate. And if you go back to the Marini Party when it was formed in two thousand and four and then they came into the John Key government that I was paid off in two thousand and eight, you had people like Tariana Turia. Didn't have to agree with everything she said. You have people like Petter Sharple's. You didn't have to agree with everything he said, but you could have a rational debate. It seems to me that at the moment it's difficult to have a rational debate with current members of the Mary Party. I think many times if you try and have a debate with them, then sadly they accuse you of being racist. Let's settle down, debate the issues, not attack the people, and I think that would be the way we've got to improve race relations in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: What role does the speaker have in this, because there are some who have suggested that, you know, there's far too much tolerance for accusations flowing one way than the other. I mean, can you imagine the outrage if someone was accused of betraying their parque our origins? Origins, we'd all be reaching for the smelling salts.
Speaker 3: The speakers in a difficult position, but ultimately the responsibility rests with him. If there are snide bullying remarks being made in the Titles of Parliament between one member and another, and that creates a bullying atmosphere, then you could argue it's no longer a safe workplace. In that case, I guess the legal responsibility probably goes back to the General Manager of Parliamentary Service. But who is the Minister for Parliamentary Service. It's the current Speaker, right Honorable Jerry Brownlee. So in that respect, whatever's happening outside the house he is still responsible for when you move it into the debating chamber. As the Speaker and particularly presiding over question time each day that Parliament sits, he is the ultimate determinant and the ultimate control of that of the procedure within Parliament at question time, and therefore he has to accept responsibility, listen to the argments of perform and he must all accordingly.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, so I mean it's difficult without offering criticism what he's doing. But what can you imagine what would you suggest might be an approach that a Speaker could take with these personal attacks.
Speaker 3: Well as I say, they occur within parliament. I'm not a regular watcher a question time, but there are things said at Parliament and the reporter to him. I think he needs to call that member out he's made a remark that's unsatisfactory, asked that member to withdraw and apologize. That's the sort of control that I would have exercised when I was spector. If it's occurring outside Parliament, outside the debating chamber, it's a little more difficult for him because there'll be the head she said type attitude. He's got to their attempt to try and find out what's happening. But the Business Committee that he chairs meets every Tuesday. He's got the opportunity at those meetings to get the whips of all parties together and say, come on, guys, this is about the reputation of New Zealand's democracy. We're meant to be adults here. Let's stop this sort of behavior.
Speaker 2: So John Key at the National Party AGM has talked about we need to turn down the temperature a little bit on the race relations. Do you think that's going to happen? We are we going to find it within ourselves to call it. I mean, we can hope so, but do you think what's your prediction because I can't imagine it don't getting anywhere. But worse.
Speaker 3: No, I think we all members of Parliament have a responsibility to tone it down and they need to work collectively to do so. Otherwise it used to become star wors for New Zealand. I know of people who recently left New Zealand to go to Australia. You ask them why, they never would be say, oh, I think I'll be financially better off. Talking a lit bit deeper when a two them say we're worried about race relations in this country. That's not a satisfactory situation. And all parliamentarians elected by the people of New Zealand have a responsibility to recognize the temperature has got a lot higher and they collectively need to do something about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, hey David, I really appreciate your time this afternoon.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, Thanks Jim.
Speaker 2: Okay, bye bye. That's former Speaker. That's David Cardiff.
Speaker 1: For more from the Weekend Collective, listen live to News Talk ZEDB weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.