Speaker 1: You're listening to the Marcus Lush Nights podcast from News Talks.
Speaker 2: That'd be greetings, welcome Marcus, with it till twelve o'clock tonight. How are you, what's happening? You're good? Hope you're good. Get in touch here till twelve o'clock. As I say, oh, eight hundred and eighty eight and eight, looks like Donald Trump's going to accept a four hundred million dollar plane seven four seven replace air Force one. Yep, that's right from Qatar. Even the loyalists opposed to that. He appeared to confirme his intent to accept the lavish gift. Unbelievable. I don't think there's anything wrong with air Force one. Don't even know how old air Force one is. It'd be easy to find out, but I'm sure a number of presents have used air Force one. By the way, too, you will heard on the news the tariffs are kind of reduced for ninety days America to China ten percent advice of verse of thirty five percent. I think that's the way it goes too, with the tariff. So some only things seem to be rare turning to kind of normalish. It's all just a negotiation technique. I'm a bit bits and bobs today with topic wise old berry bits and bobs. Don't kind of know what's going to get you going to nights. If you've got some suggestions for things you want to talk about, feel free to get in touch. I've spent some of today reading about a chicken sandwich, which was kind of confusing because actually the Americans call a chicken burger a chicken sandwich. Now why, I don't know, because I was reading the alcolog Gee it's a good idea of chicken sandwich, but actually was an article about the chicken burger, which is kind of interesting up to a point. But they're taking over in America, and it seems as though it's not literally said that, but it seems as though the chicken burger, which they call the chicken sandwich, is now taking over from the hamburger. And made me think I was given the choice, i'd still go with a hamburger. Don't know why. I don't like actually either particularly, but I think it was a choice of a chicken burger or hamburger, I'd go the hamburger, which is beef obviously, But if I have a hamburger, it's free occasionally, and I don't like all this. These days, you get all these sort of gravity challenging burgers with all sorts of stuff, and I just don't like all the sauces. It's just I like it, but for me just to meet for me, just probably the meat and the bit of cheese and probably a pickle that would be enough. Tiny bit of kitchup or tomato sauce would call, But yes, anyway, go. So I've been reading about other chickens, so I don't know what people out there would prefer if they're going that chickens. I don't even know where you get a good chicken burger. Actually, I know there's plenty of places doing gourmet hamburger. I don't know where you get a chicken burger. You might have something to say about that. That's the first question for you off the bat. The other question, I'm thinking, what would be the ratio in this country of golf courses to pubs. I think it's probably three to one pubs to golf courses, but there's some with golf courses and no pubs. You. I spent some time thinking about that today and over the weeken because I thought it might be one to one for a while. I think he's four hundred and forty golf courses. That's quite a lot, isn't it. They say more per capita than NEMA in the world apart from Scotland. I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than Scotland. Most of the North Island, quite a few in the South four forty. I don't know how many pubs are left, but that'd be one of the worst ways to invest your money would be in a country pub. They're all for sale and they remain for sale anyway. Get in touch, as I say, oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nine to nine, to detect if this breaking news, I'll bring that to you. I'll bring that to you quick smart. What might happen tonight, I don't know. They might be quakes, there might be fires, there might be product recalls, there could be anything. So I'm all across that if that happens, I'll broadcast that and bring that to you as we wait for the whole phone lines to cavalcade with people with a lot to say tonight. But yeah, I don't know what's going to get you going, so I will just continue to check things out there and we'll see where we end up. No one seems to be well, no, I won't say that. Actually I say no one seems to be too outraged, But that's just asking for trouble. There are a number of locations now where people could have been infected with measles because the person worked for Fuller's Furies Free interested in the family trips they do on the full of Fairies. This person was a man or woman. They're back in Ford, Halfmoon Bay, Devonport, Wahiki rang a Toto, all the while potentially spreading measles, So that will be of a concern to people. I think twenty nineteen was the last outbreak, so it's all there in the hill, and I think now the person's been shopping, as we're quite used to, you know, when we're tracing locations. If now we ended up going to chemists to find probably products tour which is probably the last thing you're doing if you're infectious. Not said without judgment, but that's sort of very much what we had with COVID, wasn't it. They'd go here, they'd go there, they'd go there, they'd go there, then they go there. Then they go there, then they go to the chemist. So I'm sure there'll be more locations, as are probably more people. Well it's only one person with it at the stage, but I'm sure that's just amount of time before someone else comes through with that also too. So yes, do you get in touch, I say, if you want to talk. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is it's a ninety day pause US and China to scale back the tariffs. Don't know if that's going to be positive for the economy. Maybe the damage has already been done anyway, Oh, eight hundred eighty tenny and nine two ninety six by them as Marcus Hittl twelve o'clock. I don't know what we've got to look forward to actually over the next couple of weeks. The budget it's less than two weeks away. Some of the other things I can tell you about tonight and what special day it is tonight or today, basically it's Limerick Day. We won't do those on EI. They tend to be blue. It's ninety fudgeedame. I'm not what sure what we'll do about that, not domit to day. I'm someone that still gets excited when my adometer shows up. All the numbers are the same or like one hundred thousand. That's always good for me. I'll always look forward to that watching it tick over. I think that's quite a big deal. By the way, also to this day in nineteen seventy one, the anti Vietnam War protests in Auckland nineteen seventy one. So yes, fifty four years ago for that one anyway, do get in touch. Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and Nikola Willis announced the budget twenty twenty five, delivered on January twenty second of May. This Friday is Pink Shirt Day, the annual anti bullying campaign fundraiser. I think not only it's a fundraiser, but it's also a designed to raise the awareness of the damages of bullying. If you're waiting up for Mission Impossible, the finals Final Reckoning, that's seventeen May. That will be ooh Friday or something like that. And that Soviet Union cosmos that did crash to Earth. No one saw it. It's going to happen late said that. I seem to be reading and watching about that. All signs are that it landed off the coast of Indonesia, straight to the bottom the ocean, I would imagine. So yes, get in touch if you got to be a part of the show. My name is Marcus. Welcome, Oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty and nine to nine to two to text you don't want to actually got a bat for chicken burgers versus hamburgers. I don't think it's such a big thing in New Zealand. Yet the thing is with the chicken. The flavors not there. I suppose what you spice it up with, though, isn't it. I guess that's the key to chicken absorbs the flavors anyway. Oh, by the way too, I'm a bit more of the same again. There is going to be a boy racer crackdown. I don't know what you felt about that. For me it was a bit of a grown effer doubt to a boy racer crackdown. But that's what the government has promised. I don't know if anyone out there is terrorized by boy racers. I'm never aware of them, never see them in Bluff, and I don't know that we get them in a new cargo. I know people take their cars to town and drive round and round. I think when it comes to boy racer crackdowns a lot of publicity, but I mean boy racers, it just seems to get young people love to do they love to race cars. I don't know how it happened. In Christ they had kind of a no go zone around the middle. That might have worked. You might want to mention that also tonight. Anyway, he till twelve. My name is Marcus Welcome eight hundred, Matthew. It's Marcus welcome, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Marcus. Well, just just calling about the burgers. Sure, I agree with you with the beef burger.
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 3: You can't be the good smash burger.
Speaker 2: As long as it's well, as long as it's well cooked and contained.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, well the smash burger. You fry the onions and then you smash the burger onto it. Then you put cheese.
Speaker 2: You press it down quite hard, don't you. So it's not kind of all falling apart.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's easy to pick up.
Speaker 3: It doesn't all fall out when you buy it.
Speaker 2: That's right, you want you because I don't know how they always have these posters of burgers and they're tall with all different things. Like I just said, no one wants.
Speaker 3: That hours of mess and too much sauces. I agree the mayonnaise. People overdo the mayonnaise.
Speaker 2: But why is that?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's so messy to eat. I just want to hold one hand munch on a good beef burger. I agree, like a good cheeseburger.
Speaker 4: Can't beat it.
Speaker 2: I'm not quite sure if that's how all food now is dictated by social media. They're looking for food that kind of looks dramatic on its too gram But so it doesn't taste dramatic, does it.
Speaker 3: Yeah? But we eat a lot of chicken too.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, every night.
Speaker 3: We have chicken. I say to the messus, I'm sick of chicken. Can we have something else?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: I do go back in time, of course, in the big promotion for chicken, like forty years ago, because it's really expensive, and they tried to market it as it costs no more than the weekend roast. Will now it probably be about a fifth of the price, wouldn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, they used to have it for Christmas dinner. Used to get chicken at Christmas, and it was like, you know, I don't understand.
Speaker 2: I guess the I guess the probably with the flip side of that is the conditions the chickens and which aren't that flash. But I don't know too much about that. There's colony in this cage, and there's free range, and there's there's all sorts.
Speaker 3: Of acro, the macro, the organic. What's macro, Well, it's that brand. I think it's the cold the accountdown brand. They did a macro like it's you know, and you pay another five dollars for it.
Speaker 2: Oh it sounds delicious, is it.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's chicken.
Speaker 2: So you'd be the beef. You'd be the beef burger over the chicken burger, wouldn't you.
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Every time, that's I want to know, Matthew, Thank you. That's brilliant. That's what we want to know. Get in touch, Marcus twelve, eight hundred eighty ten eighty But of everything tonight, bits and bobs, it's a Monday, Monday Innium, eight hundred eighty ten eighty nine. Those ticks coming through, if you've got them, that are what you're text about tonight. But you'll find something, no doubt. Someone says it sounds like there's something wrong with my mic. I don't think there is but will work out what we can do about that. Marcus. Apparently Air Force one has flown the equivalent of six months compared to a commercial aircraft. What does that mean? Oh, I see what you're saying. Wow, it hasn't flown for much time at all, Marcus. Two guys chicken burgers and the Royal Luke Shopping All in Auckland is we will find the best chicken burger around, Korean fried chicken petties, small range of burgers and green the donut chicken burger. Well, I'm pleased it. Something's finally happened in the Royal shop at the Royal Shopping All. For a long time, that was a dead duck Marcus. It's not the same watching the speedo tick over a milestone now they're digital. Good point, very good point, Marcus. Nice to see. What do you think about the police and Polish and setting an example and getting drug tested? You quite a lot of text about burgers. Actually, best chicken burger is homemade teagle, take out of the air fry, Jabarta, bar letters, mayo, s racha, tomato and bacon. But it's quite undignified to put bacon with chicken. Don't know why good evening, John. Hi John, it's.
Speaker 8: It happens sometimes.
Speaker 2: Good on you. It's a strongs that Welcome to the airwaves, John, good evening.
Speaker 8: Hello Marcus. I'm thinking about the chicken burger. Whenever I met a restaurant, they're always doing way too much, and then I bought into it and it just tastes like chicken.
Speaker 2: So it is chicken.
Speaker 8: It's chicken, and on the menu it will be halpenos, deep fried, all this and that, and then I get it and it's just like every other time, and I'm disappointed, and I wish that I got the beef burger.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the downfall of chicken. It always just tastes of chicken, doesn't it, because you can exactly, because you can't mix stuff in with it, and because it's it's all. There's two things I don't like about a chicken burger, right. The first thing, do you mind listening to me as I as I.
Speaker 8: Vent and you're you're the host.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never But the first thing is it's always deep fried, isn't it. Yes, that's a downer. And the other thing is.
Speaker 8: It's unhealthy, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah it is. I don't like a deep fried food. And the other thing is also is that you can't It's not like it's not made with minced chicken where you can put onion and stuff with other stuff into the paddy. It's just a slab of deep fried chicken.
Speaker 9: No exactly.
Speaker 8: And then sometimes it's not even that, it's just reconstituted. They might put something in it, but you just don't even know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, I don't know if I've necessarily ever had a chicken burger. Actually, I'm just thinking about it now. I've gone to some of these, you know, it's all this Korean chicken is the rage. I've gone to try that, but it's just too much for me. It's too fried and it's too full on, and I just I hate to say, i'd probably judgment of those people that need a lot of and I think, well, actually, that can't be good for you.
Speaker 8: Yes, well, I mean that could be making worse life decisions, to be honest, like what ah smoking your.
Speaker 2: Good point and sush, yeah, good point, Yeah, very good point. I just wonder how it seems as though it seems to me as though all this treatification of eating, all these things that have become you know something that's quite exciting and sort of forbidden, like deep fried chicken wings has now become a staple. It's about time someone sort of came down from the heavens and said, what say when that's not quite really what I think? But yeah, causes me some concern. But yeah, chicken or the beef, what would you go with? I kind of think some ways the most exciting way to have a chicken would be actually roasted with a good stuffing. But that's fall out of flavor because people don't like the skin, do they? Pep oh, John? Did you have a pub to golf course ratio?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 2: Three pubs to one golf course?
Speaker 7: No way, that's much higher?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 11: Like?
Speaker 2: How higher?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 8: I don't know the exact figure, but I mean, if you think about it, one golf course takes up so much land versus one pub, and you dove down the road many pubs to one golf course.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at South and South and looks like it's got about twenty five golf courses right, maybe thirty and a lot of the country pubs have closed. So yeah, I'm just kind of working on that one, John. But yeah, no, it's a good discussion that wasn't okay to sc got bear part of it. You want you My name is Marcus, Welcome Handle twelve. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty. It was a better half hour than I thought A bits and Bobby. But that's not a problem Hendle twelve. If you want to talk oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty chicken, we're talking chicken. I don't know ultimately where that ends up, actually the discussion on chicken, because the Great Chicken burger, though they call it the chicken sandwich, is taking over America. Everyone's doing it. But I like some of the points that John made. Always just tastes kind of and I guess that's what they're deep fry. I don't even know why they're deep fry. Why is it well? I guess it's quick and thorough. He ends up paranorm about chicken not being cooked right through, aren't they? Um? Marcus, the chicken burger well made a chicken high Marcus comma, A chicken burger made well is good. So maybe you've not had a good one. Deep Fried chicken on bread from a fast food joint probably not a good example. You can get make a tasty chicken berg with a deep with a fried not deep fried frillt. You could also start with chicken mince and flavor a patty. Not that I've done that. Interesting that patties with a capital P. Marcus, not a fan of chicken, generally agreed chicken burgers are always underwhelming. However, I do like Merry me Chicken. I don't know what marry me Chicken is. It's marry me Chicken. It's probably an outlet. It might be a recipe Marry me Chicken. Can someone enlighten me about marry me Chicken? Actually, if it is a If it is a recipe, it's got a brilliant yeah. Wow goodness. Marry Me Chicken is a skillet chicken recipe popularized by social media. Good and there's also engagement Chicken. Who knew about that marry me Chicken and went viral. Love at first wipe Marry me Chicken? Anyone cooked that? What is it? Chicken breasts and a rich, creamy sauce made with garlic and parmesan cheese. It's so delicious it could inspire a marriage proposal. Wow, good luck with that. I think everyone tie. Everyone will always inevitably, even the best recipes and the best dishes will become tiresome if they're fed too many times? Am I right? I think? I am Marcus. Why is there a camera at every intersection nowadays? Who owns pays for these? Where does the footage get stored? Are we being surveilled from mister trying not to wear a tin hat?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't know why this cameras everywhere? It's kind of slightly Yeah, where is all that footage kept? I didn't know a guy once right where him? And are we going to get involved with a railway? With a railway situation? Nice guy and he was an active pension He must have been in his eighties, and him and I got to know each other a little bit. But he not only was involved with the thing that I was going to get involved with, but he also was part of a group of pensioners that volunteered at the local police station on a Friday evening to watch video footage. And they loved it. I think a because they thought they're going to solved some great crime, but be it made them feel useful and see like a lot of peaches, probably just a little bit nose. He just liked to see what was going on, So rather than staying home watching East End his omnibus, they'd go down to the cop shop and then all sit on cheers with cups of tea and they'd just watch multiple screens and look for tagging. Probably is what they're on about, or public urination or anything like that. Marcus tried a duck burger. Marcus just want to give a shout out to Ryan Fox on his maiden PGA win this morning. He's come through some adversity for it. Also great to see him share it with his wife and young daughters. Hopefully this is just the beginning of his wins. Thanks Julie. I know nothing about Ryan Fox, but what I do know is that and the sports broadcasting business they love him. He always answers his phone, and he's always available for and if you're a sports person around the world and you're just available when people ring you, things will become much rosier for you. So he's always on the radio, always picks up, always picks up. Marry me Chicken. Have you had the new donuts from McDonald's. No, But if someone's to know what the new donuts from McDonald's are like, light showing Christ Chitch night sky in the moment, red light in the east and green to the south. Is that the aroar anyway, get in touch one of his Marcus, welcome burger and chicken or beef Chicken's taking over. It's the year of the chicken burger. I'm not a huge fan, but once I'm saying that once in a while, probably once a year, but not for about five years I probably have had a KFC Hawaiian burger with the pineapple and provide it's well constructed. Now, i don't know about you, but when I un't wrap a burger, if the top lid is not placed on the bottom lid directly, then it's not happy for me. Sometimes you have a burger, perhaps a file of fish, and they've just put got the bottom and then they put some sauce and they put the file and they're then just kind of top chuck the top layer in the general direction. That's never a good start when you've actually got to reassemble the burger yourself. But yes, no, I've got to say the chicken burger, the Hawaiian one was always very good. But I'm liking the idea of a duck burger. Where would you buy one of those, and how many golf courses versus how many pubs? Would it be a ratio of three to one. I guess it depends on defining a pub because that's all changed now, hasn't it. What what stupid old Ai'll say about that? I shouldn't say stupid old Ai, but I am sick of it. Fifteen hundred and thirty pubs, bars and nightclubs in New Zealand, so four pubs for every golf course. That seems about right, doesn't it? Marcus? How many windscreen washes at the intersection of the big city compared to small town. It's a big thing in christ Church, standy? How many in Vicago? There are no window wash? She's an in the car glo. I've never seen one. I did a windscreen coming into town yesterday. I think it was because they're always doing the roadworks on Bluff Road thanks to mean but loose seal everywhere. And that's right. I've copped on the wind screen, so that's a worry. As I watched the crack get bigger, what are you supposed to do when I get to Crack? Are you supposed to go straight away and put a sticker on it. Will they give me a sticker? Is that the way it works? Yeah, that's a fairly good question. Actual, I didn't even thought that about a tibook talk back topic. So, if you're driving around you get a chip in your windscreen, it's about the size of a two dollar coin. Can I put a sticker over that to stop it spreading while I get the insurance sorted out? Steve, it's Marcus, Welcome, good evening.
Speaker 12: Hey, talking about chicken burgers. Yes, way back in the eighties we had I lived in Orchard and we had a particularly nice Asian restaurant. You used to do an egg too young Godness with minced chicken. It was absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 2: What was the place called?
Speaker 12: But there was a bit of a being reconstituted. There was always a question about the chicken. It wasn't a dead duck. It was a seagull. Help department close it down well, but it was particularly nice. We used to get every Friday night for months.
Speaker 2: Wow, where to go? I don't even know where to go to that with that.
Speaker 12: Discussion, I don't know where to go with that or other.
Speaker 2: But you just had me on egg for young because you never hear about that anymore.
Speaker 12: No, but he had minced, minced all reconstituted chicken in it.
Speaker 2: Chips.
Speaker 12: It was nice, but it wasn't a dead duck.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't a burger. It wasn't a chicken burger.
Speaker 12: No, well, no, the only burger the chicken burger. Here. We have McDonald's here, and teams do not.
Speaker 2: Have a Do you have one of those flesh new burger places that you know that propped up everywhere doing those sort of more gourmet ones.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, Burger King they had one, and they had one and Pepakura you know.
Speaker 2: Maybe like something or even more flesher than that, like some sort of local owner operated one.
Speaker 12: There was a Wendy's as well, chicken.
Speaker 2: Not like everyone independent one or something.
Speaker 4: No, not that enough.
Speaker 12: We've got one golf course at the moment. We've got one golf course and two bars.
Speaker 2: Because how many pubs would have teams had forty?
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, maybe more. There was a lot of sly groging going on and there I'll go one days.
Speaker 2: So what pubs? What is the is the Brian But what's is it? The one they had the Mooner.
Speaker 11: Mystery it closed.
Speaker 12: Hunters Bar and we've got a that's sells alcohol, and and we've got another restaurant type thing that sells alcohol and the.
Speaker 2: Golf and the golf club does.
Speaker 12: Well, I suppose. So yeah, yeah, a lot of people go there because of the fact that they've got to bar there. When they've done their around, they call it the nineteenth hole.
Speaker 2: That still that big two story place looks like a pizza How is that right? No, what's the what's the clubrooms look like?
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, it is two story plays. Yeah, that's right upstairs.
Speaker 2: As a restaurant, evening to Marcus, Welcome.
Speaker 7: Marcus. Chicken and putting them into burgers not particularly my thing, but because I think wrapping stuff and bread detracts from the taste of what you're wrapping around, you know. Having said that, I have had a chicken burger, and it seems to me that the thing with deep coating and deep frying is to get that texture, you know, that bit of crunch. I am slightly intrigued by the Korean style. I've never tried it. It's not particularly appeal to me, but I imagine it's got a mighty crunch to it, and that would be a draw card for a lot of people. Gimally with chicken breast, which is largely tasteless. I'm all about you know, I'll poach it or cook it in the steamer. Poaching is pretty good. You can, you know, you can put nice flavors in your poaching liquid, like free ginger, fresh garlic, heaps of or depending on your taste, you know, you stick some fresh heads and there, that kind of thing. But I've had a lot of success with just like steving chicken breast. It ends up pretty nice. And of course you can, you know, you can cut it into different thicknesses that type of thing. If you're in a hurry, it'll cook cooker. But I would think that if you're going to put an in a bigger allow the time for preparation, maybe marinate overnight, would saying you're going to get better, stab it with a fork, you know, put your flavors in there, get it turn fews. We'll get a you know, like color andy version of like a hypodermic needle and inject flavor into it that way. But yeah, I think, don't brush it. You know, that's how the reason why people go for the takeaways. Now, as he actually planned, he end up some pretty nice stuff, you know.
Speaker 2: Nice to hear from it, Tim. I think that's probably why people actually are falling for them to go and buy them, because it's atually handle the cop chickens hard. You haven't got a deep throw at home. It's a fuss. Hello Johnet's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 6: I don't I guess first time call it to your show mate.
Speaker 2: Nice to hear from you.
Speaker 6: So sorry, it's not about burgers or anything, but I really just need yeh, some's out loud with and just look to get some advice opect from our listeners out there, so let me see the same for you. I was a highly sought after contractor in the IT space and government and I was in the first round of cuts when the new government come in. Since then, I've applied for about twenty serious roles, been goes to bavery single one of them or I've been too overqualified. Now it's a year later and our savings have run out. So now I'm torn between for the first time in forty four years, going on the doll or looking at Australia for potential role. But we've got a young fella, so yeah, it's wighing heavily on the mind. At the moment as to watch to actually do to keep supporting my family.
Speaker 2: What's your area? What's your area of it? Is that general enough to say it?
Speaker 6: T Yeah. I deliver new capabilities and new technology to help streamline services, removed duplication, segregation and it's make life a lot easier for all the users out there.
Speaker 2: Are you based in Wellington? Yes, yep, and all the jobs you've applied for I've been in Wellington.
Speaker 6: I've applied for jobs in Wellington, Auckland and christ Church. The ones that I do hear back from too over qualified and the ones that I've been successful and made it through to the final process has been four of them. Two of them the funding was unfortunately with drawn so the position no longer existed. And to the mum the start on.
Speaker 2: Would you be concerned about selling your house in Wellington and a declining market?
Speaker 6: Wouldn't be looking at selling the house it's more with or I yeah, swallow my pride and go on the dole looking probably at the job seekers benefits. Or would I take myself off to Australia, Yeah, trying to do something for about twelve months and then look to come back, or just see what the job situation.
Speaker 2: So you're not thinking about permanently moving to Australia because everyone else is.
Speaker 6: We've we've done that. I could consertainly stay there for twelve months on a on a fixative role or something, but you would like our little ones to be brought up here in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, okay, So your question is a bit more specific than it's where to go to Australia for a year. We'll go on the job seekers benefit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I've never been on the benefit of my life, which is why I just don't like the whole idea of having so yeah called the government for assistance when the government other ones he did this to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, yeah, I don't necessarily that follows surely you'd be more likely to go on the benefit of that. Yeah. Yeah, I don't understand that reason, but that you say you don't want to go to the benefit after they governed that to you. But that's that's that's your call.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Have you thought, since we are in this perhaps temporary time of higher unemployment, have you thought of going into any other careers in the meantime?
Speaker 13: Yes, I have.
Speaker 6: My cvs are skiers people.
Speaker 2: Because I thought a lot of jobs they didn't have cvs now there are. Yeah, okay, fair.
Speaker 6: Enough, I did. I didn't consider picking up a role as in a distribution center working for yeah, just sorting and picking. H Yeah, I'm not sure. I'm not sure if I do something like that.
Speaker 2: It's been a whole year. It sounds like it's been a tough year. Applying for those jobs. Not hearing back from people.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, and they say the job market's improving, but not not for the level that are preyd there unfortunately.
Speaker 2: And I presume the government set three a lot of it. People were all those people they got rid of a year ago. We go for those other jobs one day.
Speaker 7: Exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So I had one hundred and sixty in my team and I had to release nearly two thirds of them. So many of them have gone to Australia, some of them have gone to Europe, a couple of Singapore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they've all got work there. I presume that's what That's why they've gone there. There were jobs, right.
Speaker 6: That's great. Yeah, they majority of them are not coming back.
Speaker 2: Nice to hear from you. John, will see if anyone's got anything to talk about that or any advice thory suggestions through their own experiences. We'll do that after the news. But I appreciate you coming through, John. I appreciate the heartfeltness of that call too, So if you want to talk to that oh eight hundred eighty eight nineteen ninety to text. We are looking for advice for John, Well, John's looking for advice for John. Here's what people have seen, Marcus John. By twenty twenty seven, half of South Korea's workforce will be replaced by AI retrain or by a MOA. So hard for John. Understand that alemorphy chooses WINS for a while. They say they'll be more proactive with helping him to work unless can support yourself tricky without asking Wins for assistance. Go drive bus always works, and then leave when you find a better job. Glenn Wayhick, Marcus sounds like a smart gentleman if he likes it. They were looking at a sparky trade qualified in four years. Marcus is just that guy. Gone the doll, get his truck license and then go driving for a while. Can earn one hundred and k. Marcus tell the OT guy to go teaching. Screaming out for teachers especially with technologe Susie. Here's some advice, buddy, don't call yourself highly sought after and highly qualified. It appears both those terms are a contradiction. And burgers, chicken burgers versus beef what would be your go to? Mark Marcus, Welcome.
Speaker 13: Hi Marcus.
Speaker 14: Yell boys, gone for the beef burgers. I'm not saying that chicken burgers no good. Everyone has their own sort of preference. But these one key thing to make a burger great, and most burger makers don't do it, and it is to toast the inside of the buns and butter it before you put it together. Now, it makes a world of difference. It doesn't matter of it told be burger burger, but most outlets.
Speaker 4: Don't do it.
Speaker 14: And it toasted, Yeah, toasts the inside of the buns, then butter it. Then put your burger together, and I trust me, it makes a burger from okay to excellent.
Speaker 4: Just that one.
Speaker 2: I thought most people would have done that.
Speaker 4: No, no, they don't.
Speaker 14: And apparently back in the day, Friendly used to work with his mother, used to back in the eighties go around and commission McDonald's franchises. Yep, and he told me that the Big Mac. How it has three bits spread the top.
Speaker 4: Bottom, in the middle.
Speaker 14: They used to toast the middle part and they haven't done that for years. And he said, and when you see the Scott, he can tell that he's put a few burgers away in his day. And yeah, so they haven't done it for years. I'll measure that the Big Mac would be a lot better if they were to do that too.
Speaker 2: Nice jefre re Mark thinking it seems though the beef burger is about taste. The chicken burger is more about texture, the crunch of the deep frying in the Korean and flakes and stuff like that. Don't think I'm that into it. Someone's emailed and said that it caller it job placements not availab on New Zealand. Seems strange given this information, and this guys tends to generally know what he's talking about the emailer. The New Zealand's IT sector is experiencing rapid growth in twenty twenty five, with the surgeon demand for a variety of technical roles the following They're currently the most taught after across the country. Key in demand IT roles software developer, data scientist, data analysts, cybersecurity specialists, cloud engineer and cloud architects, machine learning engineer and AI specialist, blockchain developer, UX designer and IoT engineers, ERPCRM solutions specialists, business analysts and project managers. And these are some of the most in demand IT jobs in New Zealand. IT says if you have expertise any of these areas, then using an IT job market in twenty twenty five offers outstanding opportunities, competitive salaries and strong career prospects, especially in major hubs like Auckland, Wellington and Canterbury. So there we go. There's some so it does seem as so the market is positive, but that's obviously not your experience. Marcus brushed the barn with sugar water that gives it crisp color. Too much bread in a boog? Does eyone feel that? I actually think a chicken sandwich would be better actually with bread. But look, I'm not going to open a takeaway bar anytime soon. But welcome and good evening, Headle twelve o'clock if you want to partake Marcus till midnight. Nice email from summer sixteen years ago. I made the engagement chicken recipe of the time as a novice cook. I thought it was odd to stuff a chicken with a whole lemon, but it worked. My fiance proposed the next week must have been the whole lemon that did it. I've tried to fi Jara recently in a chicken quite good. It wasn't marry me chicken. See one made marry me chicken. I'm kind of curious about that as well. I'm going to check another topic of you, just because I feel a bits and Bobby Dan Who's Travis Hunter? I must just be a footballer, is he? Who are the Jaguars? What sports that.
Speaker 8: They?
Speaker 2: New team? Are they Jackson Jaguars. I'm not familiar with them. The article is about someone that just got sitting randomly on the plane next to the first draft guy from the Jackson Jaguars. So I'm curious enough if you've ever sat next to anyone of interest on a plane, or the most exciting plane conversation you've had. It's always hard to know if you sit next to someone on a plane when to kick off a conversation, because if they're if they're a terrible ball, you could be stuck with them the whole time. But many a time you actually start strike up a conversation just as you're getting your luggage out at the end, and you and they're a complete raffle well jepids screams. I could have been talking to the whole time. I don't know what your indicators are. Yeah, because you don't want to get started. You don't want to start talking to some kind of you know, cooker or racist and have their whole you know, them giving you their whole off the internet rhetoric, the whole flight. Because that's happened to me. Oh god, God, no, set me free, because you captured, aren't you? You're trapped? So yes, good and bad aircraft interactions Marcus Specter where it was Trump, what I'm up at? We he's got a four hund million dollar brand new plane, and John that wants to know what he should do for a career. Chris Is emailed that caller should review his CV layout and cut it into two pages. Keep it simple with achievements and major's skills. Most job titles in tenures speak for themselves. I have interviewed hundreds of epicants. If the CV is dalic can influence decision of the recruiter, especially anything regarding technology, chicken can't stand deep fried, but can only go organic to be safe over here in BALI, Yeah, I can't even quite understand why there is such an obsession with deep fried chicken. It must have still to be Oh, I suppose it's got that flavor. But yeah, because the burger is deep fried, isn't it.
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 2: I never done on the griddle. They call it a griddle. Maybe, Hi, Jon, it's Marcus. Welcome, good evening.
Speaker 15: Oh, hello Marcus. You're talking about burgers using chicken orm or form steak.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I've made burgers here when I've had the boys at home. But I don't like the beef so much unless it's very premium lean mints, because they say you need a certain amount of fat. But I don't like too much fat for calories and weight. And I don't like, no, it's got to be good mince. But some of the chicken burgers I don't have very often. But McDonald's have lovely chicken breast burgers, and you pay quite a bit for him. Pay from eleven to fifteen dollars for a you have a double breast deluck chicken burger. But do you ever make burgers at home and make them for your boys. No, not really, No, No, they'd probably like that, would they all?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's just not the way we roll. I don't think joke. Probably a casion. We've done it very occasionally. Yeah.
Speaker 15: Do they like McDonald's. Would they have chicken or a steak burger?
Speaker 2: No, not really big fans.
Speaker 15: No, my granddaughter Addison, she'll have a big Mac. But you know that guy said about having the toasting the bread and butter, Well, I wouldn't use butter. I would melt cheese on the bread. But there's so much lettuce. This pale look like paceless. Letters comes out of her her big Mac that she likes, and and all the letters and the salad dresses all dripping out, you know, out of her burger. She's eating it. So they're not that well put together.
Speaker 2: I agree, Jo, and think you're going to run. Peter Marcus, welcome Greevy.
Speaker 16: Marcus Marcus. I reckon firstly, myself, beef burger is a burger because, as one of your calls said at the beginning of the show, McDonald's set out to have beef only, and then slowly they drew the chicken. And I've always had had a beef. I find beef more tasty. Where's a chicken burger? There's something lacking in the in the flavor, and you shouldn't have to add stuff to her in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Maybe something flavor and also something lacking in the texture. That's why they've got a deep fry it.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Yeah, And I when I go to macus, I personally rather have quarter pounded because they put a beautiful, a beautiful rownish on it. And and none of the McDonald's burgers have have fallen in the mile app where's the common old Kiwi burg of it? Half of it comes out? And that's me is not good form.
Speaker 2: I think the key we burgh I see. Yeah, you're not to run a McDonald's k burger auger.
Speaker 16: Usual, you know, like the Fish and ship Shop one or whatever. They they don't as you said, they don't slap it on, they just put it on. That's where's macas But I've never had a burger fall on my lap at all there at all?
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean eighty two, you're you're eighty two?
Speaker 16: No, No, I've been eating this as nineteen eighty.
Speaker 2: Two cheap as well. Yeah, No, I prefer mac they've been around since eighty two, and in New Zealand.
Speaker 16: I think they've been around before because my first one I went to was up by the eight that was three yep. But I think they've been around. I think the first one I'm going to get probably people ringing me so I could be wrong, was in piruh and Wellington really woun nineteen seventy two seventy three.
Speaker 2: I think you're probably right.
Speaker 16: Well, I am occasionally right, but I'm pretty sure it's very early. But our first one in christ which was nineteen eighty five, what.
Speaker 2: Is the relish on the quarter pounder that you remember so fondly?
Speaker 16: I couldn't tell you, Marcus. No right, I can't get my head around. But it's bloody nice, okay, brilliant.
Speaker 2: Peter, thank you. In most cases, none are no longer dressed in additional habits. Some are dressed in ordinary clothes, wearing a cross and approach. That's right, they walk amongst us. Do they have a wimple? Marcus, i'n't if you did. Many people for it rolls cvs. They're just a dump of someone's work history at easy glance over. They don't really give a picture of the person's skills. A CV needs to be talent for the role they're applying for, outlining how their skills are right for the job. I'm always curious if people who apply for an entry level role and oversell themselves. They are a real turn off. I'm looking for someone who wants the job I'm advertising, not someone who wants to be CEO. And see the rolls of stepping stone. Wow, there you go. Yeah, because no one wants the guy at work or woman at workers are easy cheap as in my old job. I was doing this in half an hour. It's a good point, isn't it. I don't know what that means John should be doing. Oh yeah. And people next to you on planes, Marcus, always have iPods really to disengage from annoying passenger next to you? People who sat next to on a plane. Burgers chicken versus beef. The chicken burger is taking over with on America. They call it a chicken sandwich, which had me confused for most of the day. Now, Marcus, you mentioned Travis Hunter. He was pick number two overall in the recent NFL draft, overall by the Jacksonville Jaguars. He was the Helm Heisman Trophy winner for the best player in college footballer this year. It is a unicorn in that he plays both offense and defense, a rarity, A star player of the future. Most interesting conversation of flight was Perth to Brisbane with Pauline Henson. I disliked her even more afterwards after a pretty low starting point. Wow, because you know it was her, wouldn't you? Because no one looks like Pauline Hanson like Pauline Henson getting touch Marcus till twelve lines are becoming available. Oh yeah, special relish on the quarter powder. No, it's the same tomato source hues of it. Dold Hamburgers and Cheezburgers might be the working the guys into I mean and two like you know what I'm saying. I wonder why no one's doing a duck burger. They can even just call it that, couldn't they? Duck burger got a ring to it, sue Marcus.
Speaker 11: Welcome, Marcus is h revend man. I'm out standing on a whole.
Speaker 13: Just a family.
Speaker 2: Got me.
Speaker 11: I'm not reverts so fast forty in Kenada, geese so fat and right after I got dad, you left them there. I'm going to pick them up. My float into shore down the island.
Speaker 2: What will you do with them?
Speaker 11: What I mean, well, delicious delicious salamis yeah.
Speaker 2: People people like they say the salami is good, okay, will you make that yourself?
Speaker 17: Now?
Speaker 11: You do like a butcher. And the last one that we've seen and a half kilograms of Canada of goose breast and seven and a half kilograms of here. He had a port fit to give consistency, and he fit bigger as well. And the spices I got and he read wine and garlic mild garlic to make to make a bit stronger chrisa which I actually put espicially and so got forty one fifteen.
Speaker 2: Inch SLAMI which way does the money flow? Does he keeps some fro himself with just cash.
Speaker 11: It's a legitimate business transation that she just bulls me. I just plaim okay. And then the realtives mostly what.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'll tell you what the thing about t salami. I've been quite often given venison salami and stuff like that from people for trades and things like that. It's quite often currency down south, but very easy to wait.
Speaker 11: Oh delicious, this is absolutely delicious as always you go, so I people.
Speaker 2: Don't know cooking or anything, and just chump away and it can't.
Speaker 7: You yep, yep.
Speaker 11: And also we had this share today where helps made a casserole kind of thing Edson Caruso some army This is a casse role and a mixer room with another type of met I can't remember what that was, and it came out delicious. But that's not the important thing. The important thing is actually duck shooting season. And so we're allowed to shoot pretty goes now. And I've put up a Facebook paste on my Facebook paste you get at an hour, and I'm getting slammed by people pretty case, my god, terrible, but they make great difference. Well because they're lovely reading.
Speaker 2: Me soon on you you're getting slammed by shooting them and people saying they shouldn't shoot them.
Speaker 11: Well, people don't know that it between a endemic native, a self introduced native again boy and a pest animal. And so people are saying, oh, you're shooting our native pretty gooes. Well no, we're not really shooting nati. And so we're shoot not shooting endemic booky gas because endemic pricky guess indemic us pick a swamp hen they were self introduced into a thousand years ago as a self introduced bird. You can become a native of this country to have people who travel and and so you've got other self introduced birds that people call native, but they're self introduced. We have intimate for this and of course the endemic theres are the lower the kiir, the paka poe who instage bird things like that, and so those are endemic. It means only found in the country in that country, so only found in New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Ind I think people are probably sur surprised that a lot of people be surprised. You can hunt? Have you always been a hunt? Pooky go.
Speaker 11: Thus a self introduced slash native bird because they've been here for a hundred years. But they're also a game bird. There are a game bird the same as a mallard duck as a game bird, a pheasant or the other native bird accord it animal, self induced or native. The paradise duck so and the black swan, the blacks one is also a game bird. So whilst pooky a self introduced native, they are also a game bird. And that game breed regiusly managed by fishing game season starting and now it goes through this something like August I think it is. And so you can legally shoot pookys now during the hours of daylight and only with the shotgun. In the world of flying, it's all on your duck period. You're going to you're going to get a pyramid froist and but shoe.
Speaker 2: Just back to my question, and I've talked about people's reaction to have you always been able to shoot pokicko during the duk season?
Speaker 11: I hid the action the duck season. Somebody who has been a historic ductaty for fifty years. We had to answer that because.
Speaker 2: I always think it was quite a real you know, I think the whole the pokio used to be quite a beloved bird until people realized that it was just a swamp hen and I think probably still people are still realizing that. And yeah, I know, I know, I knew they flew over here because they found them in the Kumadic Islands or something. They found that kind of some of the staging posts along the way.
Speaker 11: I ivery country in the world. Here the swampion, and we've got something here called the speel wing clever or just clever, and that's another bird that has reached native species status because it's self introduced by from Australia again, and it's a horrible little bird.
Speaker 2: Quite like this, I quite like the spurring clover.
Speaker 11: Well you obviously haven't looked at the spears on their wings like cause horrible, it's horrible, horrible.
Speaker 2: The other thing, the other thing I'm not worrying about, not worrying about, but wondering about self introduced is the spoon bill, which are crepping cropping up every around South and they're self introduced, and they seem to already be making they seem to be liking it here and really making a good go of it.
Speaker 11: It beautiful.
Speaker 2: They're like a white here, and aren't they they're not my capitilla. I think that's stupid, big. I don't like them, but they're everywhere.
Speaker 11: I'd never harm one, right, And so we've got we don't hear screwing bows on the game berard register, but what we used to hear on the game very register, which was introduced by humans by early settlers. Now I was back with pheasant, the gray duck, I think much. And also Canadian geese. Canadian geese were introduced as a game board. It was just a question you asked me about we're the pookiker have always been on a register, and I don't know the asked for it, but you of the geese have always been on the register. It was since they were introduced in nineteen oh five. Then they realized that game license recreational hunting for six weeks or two months of the year, we're not gonn have to keep Canada geese under control, and they bring politically rights and so they would take it off the game Boy register in two thousand limbs. So Canada geese are no longer a game boot as an official piss lot of possible as they have fallen through a crack. But you can shoot Canada giesst any time of the day or night using any co weapon where they're walking around site, on the water or flying, and you can shoot them twenty five day seven those week, what three hundred and sixty five days of a year. They don't have a season. They're just a pissed animal, but they're not a Disney pissed. And also Doc calls him a bird of interest or a useless so that's a CREDI word for visional Council.
Speaker 2: I'm going to live with the is shoe. But that great, Salama. I know you want toalk at the gun register and I just want to keep it moving along a bit tonight. I'm not saying we're opposed to that, but I found what you said about pukacs for interesting and people opposed to the shooting of those, so thank you for that, Hugh. There is a lovely woman that emails me all the time. She's done it for years, and the name is k k of Karor and she always scientist texts, love each other. There's Jesus, but she's really duty. But anyway, she's just emailed Marcus Strange, just into you during the day. Thanks for keeping me company. I've finished walking the Camino of a few hours in Madrid before a flight to Morocco this evening. That's from K. Well done, Kay, jealous, envious and excited for you to have done that. That's fantastic. So she's been heating me over the last couple of weeks. I'm not quite sure where she's been. I I don't know what age bracket K would be in, but I think she probably would be what's hard to guess, but I think that's probably a bucketless thing for her. So I'm excited about that too. When you go that's k go ukay brilliant. She'm excited to be over there for that going on too anyway, get in touch. My name is Marcus. Welcome het Tel, twelve Burgers and sitting next to a people on planes? Anything else you want to talk about and CVS And I did ask a question before which kind of slipped away, and I'm going to re ask it because it's important when you chip your windscreen, and I probably do two a year. Yeah, that's strange story. It's that bluff road. It's all the curves anyway. So when you get the chip, can you go and get temporary stickers to stop it growing so it can still be filled? I kind of seem to have heard about that. Or should you check it in straight away before you've done the insurance protest? It seems like such a waste of glass, doesn't it. Mine is probably on the cusp of being the size of a two dollar coin. I always have many discussions with my partner about windscreens, and she always thinks that they come from cars going the other way. I think she's probably right. Well, that was the situation that case going through a fifty k zone with a car coming quite quickly the other way? Was I doing fifty? About? Probably sixty maybe, but yeah, fifty. I don't know what I would have been doing. But it's annoying, isn't it? Owner, because you're never going to check it in and blah blah blah. Anyway, that's me if you want to talk about that. Also, that would be a huge amount of interest to me, and normally if it's interest to me, it might be of interest to some others. Did you read this story about the woman that was at the dangers thrashing around in pain, which you can't read much. They don't like a bad dentist story anyhow, he tel twelve. My name is Marcus. Welcome. There's something different. You want to check into the chuck into the old conversation hot pot, Get in touch, oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty, get in touch here till twelve o'clock, eight hundred eighty ten eighty. And Trump's done the big trade deal today too. Donald Trump has blinked, say analysts, I don't know what that means. It's China got the better side of the deal. I guess it'd be much analyst done much analysis done on that you met Marcus.
Speaker 5: Welcome, how it's gone, Marcus wanting to talk about wind screen?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Great, Thank you appreciate your wisdom on this topic. Thanks so much.
Speaker 5: You can buy the self kits really from yeah repkit. They're really easy to use.
Speaker 2: I wonder how hard it was. I wondered how hard it would be. It must just be a filler. A.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just a filler.
Speaker 5: And they've got this little suction kits and you put over your crack and they've got a razor and everything with the kits and yeah, like then you put the filler in in this twist thing and you put pressure on it and it puts pressure on the crack into your wind screen. But they're really easy to do yourself. If it's a pretty basic crack, you know, like.
Speaker 2: A what's what's the what's the suction thing?
Speaker 5: So there's like four suction cups and you put the placement thing on top of where the crackers. Then you put filler into the cavity and.
Speaker 11: The thing.
Speaker 6: Just for the crack.
Speaker 2: You're just cutting out of it.
Speaker 16: There.
Speaker 2: I heard cavity that I heard nothing are.
Speaker 5: Y yep one there is a black spot.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure. I'm pretty fast. I've heard four. I've heard four such cups.
Speaker 5: Then what four suction cups and then there's a cavity where you put your filler, and then there's a screw top that you put on on top puts pressure the fill into your crack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so the four suction cups hold up a hard material and the screw comes out of there, I presume, is that right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's two bits of the piece, but they're real cheap. They're like forty dollars from Repco or whatever, and they've got all the instructions on there to do it yourself. And then you let it set, take off the suction cup, then you get the razor and make sure it's all level on your wind screen.
Speaker 2: Well, there'd be the fun part. I'll see if I can see the kit how it works. So it's how long have they been around.
Speaker 5: They've been around for a while. I've been using them for like over ten years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay. Is it because you don't get win you don't get windscreen insurance? Is that right?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I just find that it works and once you get a crack and you get onto it straight away. Then you know, Bob's your uncle. You can fix it yourself.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm looking at the four stickers. It looks like it looks like a space lending craft, doesn't it. Yeah, such a feat Yeah okay, yep.
Speaker 5: Both are the ones, so they work quite well.
Speaker 2: And then what's the minimum size of the crack? The maximum size?
Speaker 5: I would say only for the smaller chips that haven't led to like massive cracks in your windscreen, I'd recommend.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think, yeah, okay, I appreciate that. That's really helpful, Matt, Thank you, very helpful. Person says you get a booklet of stickers from Smith and Smith. That's my knee, just a little bit of the dashy and just put those over and get a chip. I guess it stops that. Yeah, okay, thank you, Lee, that's nice. Nine to ten high Caroline, it's Marcus. Welcome, Oh.
Speaker 9: Caroline, self compel to pick the sign up. We actually have an ause Rise dealerships for Smith and Smith's and have been appearing repairing windscreens and replacing them for many years now. Yees, you can get the little stickers and what they're designed to do is just keep the moisture and dirt out until such time as you can get the chip repaired, and it just results in the better job.
Speaker 2: So they don't they don't stop the stick, they don't stop the crack from spreading. No, that's interesting, okay, So just keep dirt and the water out to stop it freezing.
Speaker 9: Or something, and you just you get much better repair. So we hand them out every time we do a windscreen or a chip repair, and it's just just a little band aid until.
Speaker 2: They're not as useful as I thought they would be. Hey, what happens to the old What happens to all the old windscreens?
Speaker 9: They actually get recycled, so we have as many coming into the workshop is going out. So they come in for most days and the ones from the day before sort of go out the following day just on the return treate service and they recycled, they go back to the distribution center in Auckland.
Speaker 2: They've got they're complicated now. They've got leaminade layers and all.
Speaker 9: Sorts of stuff, laminated layers, and many of them have camera systems or the mounting sort of block for camera systems in them as well, So there's probably a little bit of deconstruction that goes on. I'm not sure about that, but I think majority of the windscreens throughout the network are recycled.
Speaker 2: Now, Caroline, do you know, do you notice when there is a major road repair work going on that you'll get a lot more windscreen? Think about it, doesn't it?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Yeah, it's we've just sort of coming to the tail end. I guess the peak windscreen season for us, and some days, you know, sort of during February and March, we were sort of taking or at least sort of thirty thirty jobs a day at least. Well, okay, yeah, it's been a very big season.
Speaker 2: Actually works, and tell me there must be it must be, it must be. It must be a real hussle getting them all delivered. Are there are there warehouses of a wide variety of windsprings all around the country.
Speaker 9: Because of so many different makes and models. We're affiliated with the Smith and Smith Network, so they actually have a distribution ware house in Auckland that they supply all the North Island branches and authorized dealers with. And yeah, they have a very large inventory there and on the rare occasion that they don't have something, then there's other windscreen supplies that they can source class.
Speaker 2: From their own trucks.
Speaker 9: No, no, they use freight services, different setups depending where they're going.
Speaker 2: I find that quite fascinating, Caroline. But this book to stickers and I appreciate it. Thank you five from ten met Marcus.
Speaker 8: Welcome say that Marcus.
Speaker 18: Yeah, good yourself.
Speaker 11: How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Very good? Thanks?
Speaker 18: Good flush ta'll hear from You're welcome. Yeah, thank you, thank you. I was just actually you just still get people's opinion about, you know, duck hunting. And I was just curious the other day because near my house there's a water stream and a lot of ducks there, and people like I was researching this on the internet and came across that ducks are actually a career or equal I virus or like equal I. Yeah, it's like a I think it's a virus itself, Yeah, which can actually be it's harmful for human beings, just like you know. So I suppose it's a good thing that you know, they get if too many of ducks, they can pollute the water as well, and you know, we get all the water supply coming in and all that. So I think it could be a good thing to do duck hunting. But I'm actually curious to know more about what people think about it as well.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you cool at Thanks so much for that. Marcus. You can stop doing water to go into the chip and the winder. The water can crack, freeze and crack the windscreen further. Won a hot on a hot day, don't close your doors out the windows open. The pressure could crack the windows further. I fixed windscreens for a long time. The suction cups suck water and dirt out before you inject the resin. Welcome people. My name is Marcus. Good evening. How I hope you're good? Are hettel twelve? No surprise is there? I don't know why I say it because I'm always hitdled twelve. Maybe should just say when I'm not hitdled twelve? When will that be? I wonder romance from Midnight.
Speaker 13: Brilliant.
Speaker 2: We're talking about wind screens. Didn't know you could fix your own. That's interesting, isn't it? Mind you? It's probably a bit like replacing your own cell phone screen. You can do it, but also there are things that can go wrong. But do get in touch. My name as Marcus Hittle twelve. What we have talked about to that mainly kind of mainly the rise of the chicken burger when they're come such a good thing or a big thing. Although deep fried, of course, So what's that about. I don't know why chicken needs to be deep fried for burgers. There must be other delicious ways to cook it. I just don't know what they are. Well, of course, two big Rooster. I think Big Rooster was rotissary. Big Rooster and Homestead were rotistry cooked, weren't they. You wonder why no one's come back with a rotisserie kind of a big rotisserie way of cooking chickens and putting them in burgers and stuff like that. I'd be of interest to that. I'd be interested to find out about that. So that's what we've talked about. And number plate not number plates, windscreens, old big rooster. Was it called big rooster? Was it called red rooster? It mightn't be called red rooster. I can't remember now, was it red rooster or big rooster? If I'm confused with that one. I think it's called big rooster, and I think it was actually rotisserid I think I'm right, And if I'm not right, someone I'm sure we'll ring up and tell me was it rotesrid or barbecue? I think it's the same thing. Well, of course there's nandos, isn't it. That's not deep fry. That's why that's so successful. But they always seen to have trouble with the franchises. It's a great one to NEEDN. But now it's closed, delicious. Have you sat next to anyone exciting on a plane or your great plane conversations, or the most interesting person you've met sitting next to on a plane, you might have married them. I always think it's kind of like airplane. It's like airplane. Oh now, I'm going to think of a word here. It's like airplane. What's the thing when you no, let me think of this. It's like conversation roulette when you start, because if you if you picked the wrong conversation with the wrong person, you stuff for them the whole journey, you think, Hector, it's free hard to get out of a conversation on a plane. You can't with that. Actually, I'm sick of you. You got to sort of quite see, Oh you guys, so quietly we're talking. Then quietly pick up the in flight magazine, just looking then suddenly you look for Actually, this looks a bit of hang on, I'm going to read this and there the but let you're out of it. Very hard thing to do. One of the great skills of all time is to get yourself out of a phone conversation aeroplane conversation. So that might be something we could talk about also tonight. But get in touch here till twelve moneamers Market's welcome. Enjoyed it so far? Yeah, people have it funny about people who have a cook I don't know you could shoot pooky coos. Was it big rooster or a red rooster? I think it was a big rooster. Someone says via text it's read, it's big, it's read. I think it was big rooster. At the same time there was also homestead. I never mind a nostalgia argument, So it doesn't really matter, does it. I think it was big rooster. No, maybe it was red rooster. Maybe it was big rooster, then read rooster. I think it was big rooster, then red rooster. I think the big rooster was in the seventies and the red rooster was in the two thousandths. Anyway, I'm arguing with myself here. But if you want to at these things that there's something different you want to talk about too. I'm gonna fairly relax go who stayed about conversations, So it'd be nice to hear from you. I know you probably don't all follow the NRL religiously, but I watch it because it's not at work, and I catch the matches because I might as well look at something when i'm on the radio. And I've become interested as a result because of that. But what happened? Is it Penrith who have won it three or four times in a row, maybe at three times, maybe it's four times? Is it three times? They go for a four peat. They might have run it three times or four times, I can't remember anyway. They are the bottom and they're in Queensland playing one of the Queensland teams. I think it was the Cowboys or the Titans, I can't remember which, and it was thirty all they went to Golden Point and that means you got fifteen minutes each way. I feel that sounds like it's too many. They've won it last four times consecutively, so they're going for the five times in a row. So four times. But they're at the bottom right, And then what happened? They got the kickoff for golden goal, for the sudden death golden goal, and they've found their trainer on the field squirting a slippery liquid on the ball to make it difficult to catch. Yeah, not good, is it anyway? Denise, it's Marcus. Welcome.
Speaker 19: Hello Marcus. It's definitely red rooster?
Speaker 2: Could it be both?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 19: I haven't heard a big rooster, but I've definitely heard a red rooster.
Speaker 2: But how long ago was red rooster?
Speaker 19: Oh? I don't actually no, but I think it's been. It's been a ramp for quite some time.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's still here, is it?
Speaker 19: I don't know. I've never I've never eaten it, so I don't know. But I've seen it and i've dropped it up as well.
Speaker 2: So how come because you've come through quite strong saying it's definitely something. But you didn't work there or something, did you?
Speaker 20: Oh?
Speaker 19: No, No, But I think if I remember rightly, I think I saw it in Australia.
Speaker 2: Yes, but we're talking about what it was called here.
Speaker 19: I thought it was read rooster. If you were I don't.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, I don't know it.
Speaker 19: I'm pretty sure it's not the rooster.
Speaker 2: I can visualize big rooster though. You Yeah, but but my mind might be playing tricks on me. But you know, because I think you can misremember things.
Speaker 19: Yeah, you do. Yeah, I've definitely seen red rooster though, have you?
Speaker 11: Yep? Yep?
Speaker 19: And I think I might have been in Australia. Yeah, I don't think i've seen it here.
Speaker 2: No, it's certainly in Australia, but we are. Okay, but when.
Speaker 20: You're right with a we call of that.
Speaker 19: I don't really know and whether it's still going to I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's definitely big rooster.
Speaker 19: Okay, okay, but you could be right. I mean, as I said, yeah, it could be an Australia with red rooster, but it could be something else said. It's a bit like having hungry Jack, doesn't it that we don't have that?
Speaker 2: No, I wonder when we're going to get hungry Jack. It'll be exciting. Yeah, I often wonder when we're gonna get hungry Jacks. I'm joking. I feel we've done the big rooster read a rooster argument before. Actually, but I think we had red rooster. I think we had big rooster. We had red rooster. I think there's one of the old big roosters in Arthur Street and Ornie Hunger that still looks like a big rooster. I think now an appliance store, isn't it. You remember that an Orni Hunger. Yeah, I've seen it, big rooster. I forget where it was, but I think now it's an appliance store. Definitely read rooster. Well, it's definitely big rooster. Marcus. KFC doesn't accomplish. They get rid of them. Marcus, red rooster and it was barbecue chicken. Well maybe it was a big rooster. Then read rooster, Marcus. You can't beat a brand new windscreenter windscreen aways get the point after you about a year where it's pitted, never wipes properly. I have glass covermine insurance. Even the smorts crak of my woodscreen makes want to take it to the hammer just so that will be replaced and rather fix the chips. Good evening, Clive, this is Marcus.
Speaker 17: Welcome yeah home, Marcus. It's definitely red rooster in New Zealand, and it was back in the nineteen seventies and it was gone by the two thousands.
Speaker 2: Do you think you might have misremembered.
Speaker 17: That no, because they used to have a red shop and top of Ony Hanger, and we used to go there, my wife and I and the kids, and we'd buy the rotisserie chicken, and then we'd go up to Jellico Park and divide the chicken up, sit down and have a picnic, divide the chicken up, and then the kids could play on the swings and slides. And it's definitely red rooster.
Speaker 2: Okay, because I'm going to push back on that.
Speaker 17: I knew you would. Yeah, I decided That's why I decided to to ring you because I know it's definitely red Rooster. I don't know where you got big Rooster from. You must have one of those at home and you've been chasing it.
Speaker 2: According to the Wisest Directory, right in nineteen seventy eight, there were Big Rooster barbecue chicken outlets at Getters Street, Parnell, Arthur Street, orn He Hunger one seven to one, Green Lane Road, Green Lane three three five nine Lake Road, Takapoona. There was also a Red Rooster Chicken parlor at one eighth nine Great North Road, Avondale, and a Red Rooster takeaway at four to two three Richardson Road. So it seems that for a while there was both big rooster and red rooster.
Speaker 17: Yeah, well, the one I used to go to. I'm positive so is red rooster, because these were painted red to emphasize the red rooster, just like the warehouse came out and was read.
Speaker 2: But they might have been painted like that to emphasize the big rooster is also yeah, okay, okay, I don't know if I want to dine a ditch about a battle, I have a big rooster, red rooster, definitely. Red rooster is in was won by us on Richardson Road, nev. But I think red rooster came differently. Marcus, it's red rooster, cording to Google opening two thousand and four clothes in two thousand and nine, Marcus Hungry Jacks is Burger King of New Zealand. Same thing. There we go. Marcus I lived in the in the Middle East. They had Kenny Rogers Roasters chicken franchise. Marcus I was on a flight from Munich to Manchester and didn't exchange word with the young men sit next to me, which is okay. However, the landing gear couldn't engage, so the flight diverted to Birmingham in case of crash landing plane had to circle around for ages to burn fuel. The young men and I sheared we were traveling and family and calm the nerves. Plane landed. Okay, you run and relieved. A strange experience. Red rooster, big rooster. But people are so adamant, aren't they? Definitely big rooster to read rooster f in my backyard trying to make out lost my senses. Yes, that's right, Jason, I've seen that image. To thank you for that big rooster. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 11: For a.
Speaker 2: Barbecue chicken franchise from the seventies, the big rooster labeling still looks and the whole franchise still looks free contemporary if you may. Hi, Cameron, it's Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 4: And you just sort of and who for him and his wife had gone to Australia for a week's holiday and on the way home they were discussing with my next time about the you're a different the New Zealand cricketers do well?
Speaker 2: Came, Oh yeah, can you get your phone line is terrible? But yeah, okay, I had about flying to Australia about cricketers. Yes, yep.
Speaker 11: Yes.
Speaker 4: So my friends said, you know, getting the guy. I said, yeah, yeah, yeah, my friends and I'd been talking to him for an hour on the plane and said to him, you know, did you go to the cricket You know I was there. I was there, and you consider it's coming in anji event. And he had been sitting next to Ross Taylor for an hour.
Speaker 2: Yeahs humbling enough not to say anything. I appreciate Cavin s you're live with that's God.
Speaker 17: Thank you.
Speaker 21: A hello, oh hello, you are right about the chicken there nineteen seventy five. I've googled it. In nineteen seventy eight, there were big roosters, barbecued chicken outlets at Parnell Getto Street, Arthur Street only hunger one said, one Green Lane Road, Green Lane, Takapoona. And there was also red Rooster Chicken Parlor at Great North Road, Evandale, mid Rooster takeaways at Richardson Road, Mount Roscoe. There's been others before or after nineteen seventy eight in Auckland area, and there's heaps of them. I googled it and you get these other chicken faces called two chicken spot restaurants as well. One on Great South Road Techanini, and another one in pepper Tooey Toey another one called Delicious Chicken. There's lots of different ones around, being around in this way back in the time.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I appreciate that to Anne and apparently according to a Wikipedia, Big Rooster started in Queensland in the seventies and was the second largest chicken chain in the country. However, Big Roosters Australian locations were all brought out by Coles Meyer, owner of competitor Red Rooster. In nine eighty six and ninety two they were rebranded a Red Rooster, and the only surviving Big Rooster are the ones in Papua New Guinea. There we go. In the mid seventies, best friends and business partners Nick Tarner and Steve Fire started a Big Rooster. Its slogan was what's the time, It's Big Rooster time, and TV advertisements featured the jingle I'd rather have a sunny day and I'd rather have Big Rooster. I'd rather have the Queensland Way and I'd rather have Big Rooster.
Speaker 8: There we go.
Speaker 2: When KFC opened in City and sixty out at Spearheaded Americans Fast Food of production with its growth was curtailed by the swift development of Big Rooster and the Western Australian based Red Rooster. So there we go, gets complicated. So there was a Big Rooster and there was Red Rooster, and one took over the other. And Stegles owned Big Rooster, and that's of course the sponsors of the Chocks in the NRL. Since all Big Roosters in Australia have become Red Roosters, the brand has been erased from the country. Over The chain contes drop Point and part On New Guinea. Yes, in fact, the Koch branch was ransacked and burnt down the twenty twenty four riots. Big Rooster sells barbecue, chicken, fried chicken, and fish rolls and burgers and also banana fritters and P ANDG. Sounds delicious. That covers that up most of it, doesn't it. Well, there you go, interesting kind of Big Rooster Red Rooster. I wonder why it wasn't what it was called Big Rooster while we're talking about it, Who knows? Who knows which has the most restaurants both across your old and globally, KFC with Donald's, Hungry Jacks or Pizza Good question because I'm in bed with a stomach full of pork, but now I'm wanting chicken, even it's a rooster. Do roosters taste different? I don't know the answer to that. I presume most of the chickens we eat chickens, not roosters.
Speaker 5: Is that right?
Speaker 2: No idea what the answer is to that, because I presume a big rooster. There are many chickens. Now, some of the other stuff you might want to talk about tonight that might take your fancy conversation wise, it's getting a plane from Qatar with four hundred million dollars there giving it to him says like that will end badly. Also, what else can I tell you? Oh, there's a boy racer crackdown? Anyone kind of I feel that boy Racis is kind of a thing of the past. Are the boy race is still driving people made? Because normally in this show you get a pretty good idea when things are going wrong. And I've never heard anyone going on about boy Racis, well, not for a long long time. The last time we talked about was in Hamilton, So that might be something that's you want to talk about. Wally twenty seven to ten. Wally good evening, good day.
Speaker 22: Here you go, good Wally.
Speaker 2: Are you going all right?
Speaker 22: Yeah, just come back from dancing.
Speaker 2: Brilliant ballroom rock and roll. Thought it might be sh good on.
Speaker 22: You, really good fun. Anyway. I used to make those rootisteries when I was living in Melbourne. Oh yeah, in nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 2: So you made the actual rotissaries they went.
Speaker 22: On yep, and some of those big grotessteries. I hold eighty chickens.
Speaker 2: Wow, and it's just all on chains and slow driver, is it.
Speaker 22: Yeah. I used to do all the I made up all the gear. I made up all the frame and the gears that hold the spits. So I had ten spits and each spit had eight chickens on it. So as the chickens were going round, the whole thing was going round and the chicken was spinning at the same time as I was going round.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think I saw those, so they're.
Speaker 22: Going I used to wire up the wire into all the switches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kind of remember them. I can't could you see them in the shops? You could, could you?
Speaker 22: Yeah, there's a few over here back in the old days.
Speaker 2: And you take off the whole, the whole once the whole road would be cooked at the same time, wouldn't they.
Speaker 22: You take them more all off you Also, there was eight spits and those spits were rotating, but the whole thing was rotating at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yep, it was. It was kind of going up and then down. Was it in a big long cycle?
Speaker 22: It was like a big ring. Was like a ring here.
Speaker 2: How long did it take to cook a chicken?
Speaker 22: I don't know. I was making the making the and I used to weld up all the fat trays. It was all stainless steel welding. And we used to get a bonus we had got a certain amount of machines out like a month, we'd get a fifty dollars bonus, which was a bit of money.
Speaker 2: How do you do it?
Speaker 22: For probably about six months because I came back to live in New Zealand and they said, Wally, you ever come back here, there's a job waiting for you.
Speaker 2: You should go back the next week and see if their job still there.
Speaker 22: Is the name of the company with Seamack Electrics.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and how's you been doing? Siroc for a while.
Speaker 22: About two and a half years. I wish I'd taken up like ten or twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: Oh well, at least I've taken it out.
Speaker 22: I was just laughing for two hours. It's of fun peckering a bowling club on a Monday night.
Speaker 2: Brillian. A great shout out Wally and shout out to all the Sorocas out there people, Marcus, anyone got any feedback on the brunch club? Bottomless Brunches is an ever themed one coming up in Willington. I think the bottle of the bottom Bottomless Brunch is just like a and excuse to get drunk in the morning. I thought people. I thought they look quite reckless to me. I mean, it looks like a good idea. But I think a bottomless brunch has got You've got mimosas or something. Is that right, Marcus. I was in Australia for a couple of years the mid eighties, and well i'd red Rooster. Fast forward thirty years, returned to Australia, craving Red Rooster got to have it was terribly disappointing. Or maybe the palettes changed, or maybe the chickens changed. I don't really know what to say about red rooster or Big Rooster, but bearing in mind, so chickens were really expensive, right, and then they managed to factory found them, and suddenly the price came way way down. And so from sort of the seventies and eighties onwards, we were inundated with different ways to eat cheap chicken because beforehand it was always just mutton. So we all seemed so exotic the chicken, didn't it. Jeeps look at that going round and round with the potatoes. Anyway, So Trump's getting a new plane that it'll use as his presidential plane until shortly before he leaves office in January twenty twenty nine, when ownership will be transferred to the foundation overseeing as yet to be built Presdential Library. Yeah. Laura luma Afar, right ally of Trump said excepting Qatar's plane would be a stain on the administration and the guitar Fund. The Semaranean proxies and harmss and his below have murdered Jewish service members. The Democratics said the move was proof of Trump using the White House for personal financial gain, while Democratic rulemakers blasted the plan as wildly illegal and corruption and plane sight what happens to the old plane?
Speaker 18: Oh?
Speaker 2: By the way, I was seeing something today, reading something about airlines that still have seven four sevens. There aren't many, are there. Luftanza is the one. It's got about forty. I guess not of those have been converted to freight planes. So yeah, the remaining fleet, so yeah, that's quite I think there's four rearlines that's still flying in the Russians Luftanza. I forget who the others were, maybe Singapore air Lines as well. I guess people would go there deliberty to go on those flights. Now I'm waiting your calls if you've got something to say as you go through a bit of a change, a bit of a change of tone. If China's got them to enquiry an air I think that's the way Chag Will Charlie Sidney so good, amazing salads, chicken, not dry, Gwen. But sitting next to interesting people on planes is good for me. But yeah, you gotta be careful with the plague because honestly, if you get to strike the wrong conversation up with the wrong person, there could be your whole trip ruined. It's very hard to get out of a conversation.
Speaker 11: Yep.
Speaker 2: Now the other story too, you might have some opinion on it will be up to Transport Minister Chris Bishop to allow the public to weigh in on a potential toll on State Hiway won bypass, an idea the local mayor has concerned about. I don't fully know this one, but this is the one that goes through why make it Eddie? So that's a situation. I don't know how long the road is. It's a one billion dollar bypass. It could be the South Island's first toll road in almost fifty years. What was the last one? I'd like to know more about that. What would be the last toll road in the South Island was the Milford Road? Told, Oh, that's got me interested. What were the South Island toll roads? Good evening, Suet's Marcus. Welcome, Hi Marcus.
Speaker 11: How are you good?
Speaker 17: Sue?
Speaker 2: How's yourself? All good?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Not too bad, not too bad at all. But it's just going to tell you about a very interesting flight I had many years ago.
Speaker 15: Now.
Speaker 10: It was a business flight. My friend and I Jeanine, or a colleague. We were flying from LA to Edmonton in Canada, and.
Speaker 19: We couldn't be seated together.
Speaker 10: And I had this really young nice guy and anyway, we're chepping away the whole flight and everything was fine.
Speaker 15: He was really.
Speaker 10: Interesting in New Zealand, and he never ever said who he was or what his name was. Anyway, when we got to the airport to get our suit cases, the man who was sitting next to Jeanine came up and he said, do you know who you're sitting next to him? I said now, I said, a really nice guy. Said he had great chats and he said, well, I suppose you wouldn't know because New Zealand you play rugby. I said, yes, that's right. He said, well, I'll tell you who are you? He said, I'm the television crew and we're filming him tonight because very last game playing for the Edmonton Oilers. And he said his name is Wane Gripsky.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 10: Wow, Yeah. He was amazing, really nice boss. Anyway, he said, he said, I've given tickets to Janine, so you and I you, you and herkson go to the game tonight. Have you ever seen nice coffee? I said never. So we went to the game, had amazing feats and after the game, they said, well, you know, why don't you come, We're going to have drinks at the nightclub.
Speaker 9: We're there.
Speaker 10: We're not for the night too, stupid old part from mu Zealand, and I have to go to this night club now I never get it. I've still got The shops were in like test tubes and they looked like egg yolks. In the name of the place is called Loose Goose.
Speaker 2: That was a real flashback shots and test tubes. That's a real old school.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I know, well it was.
Speaker 10: It was a long time ago.
Speaker 2: But what you are we talking nineties or.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it would have to be.
Speaker 19: I used to do it.
Speaker 10: Look well, we both said, we did a lot of traveling around. We were in the rag trade. Oh, you used to go to all the fashioned places. The reason for going to Edmonton they just opened the largest Edmonton mall. Was the largest in the world at that stage. Now it'll be kind of tiny. But it was just such a coincidence to be sitting next to this w famous ice hockey player. And when I got back, I was telling my kids about it. And then about four months later on TV, there used to be a program called mciva and m mciva had Wayne Gritsey on his program as a guest, and I said to Victim, that's who I sat next week, And you had no, just incredible. But you know, he didn't let on who he was or or anything. He was just a nice guy. And I was I was so impressed by him.
Speaker 2: Did he did? Did he come and talk to you at the loose Goose?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 10: Yet they did because they had the whole television sports crew were with them, and it was, you know, his kind of final rah, you know. In Edmonton, really God, there was a street named after me were we went. We then saw Wayne Gritsey.
Speaker 3: Wayne Gritsky, Is this a big deal?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's a free big deal.
Speaker 10: Yeah yeah, but a really really nice guy. He really was.
Speaker 7: Yes, I don't even know.
Speaker 2: Anything about it. Edmondon's way up north, is it It's like in the middle of nowhere? Is that right?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 18: It is?
Speaker 10: And it was freezing flipping cold. There was snowhere everywhere and this more was enormous. They even had this great big ice skating rink inside it and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: No, interesting.
Speaker 2: What was in the test tubes?
Speaker 10: I don't know, but it looks yellow, so it's meant to look like a brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, clear, A vague memory of those. So that's an extremely good story. Still, I'm glad I asked the question thank you very much. That Oh great, keep it going eight nineteen ninety the text interesting aeroplane encounters. It seemed like a good job in the red trade, didn't it. Oh there was a very interesting question. I should have come up with it. Of course. The last told road on the South Island was the Littleton Tunnel sixty four to seventy eight, and it wasn't fifty years ago, it was forty seven years ago. So thanks for the people that texted that through. I found that interesting. Marcus took a plane from Sydney to Auckland about five years ago. Walking to my seat, I see a really buff looking guy with some serious tattoos in the seat next to me. I felt a bit intimidated. As I sat down, got chatting to him and we introduced ourselves. I asked him to repeat his first name and he said Israel. I said, wow, that's really your nique name. We chatted quite a bit on the floor of the Tasman. I still had no idea I sit next to Israel Adisanya or how famous he was, and I mentioned to a friend a couple of weeks later, brilliant, good evening, Brent, this is Marcus.
Speaker 13: Welcome yes, very good Martin tonight, sell into your shift.
Speaker 2: You're sun good form.
Speaker 3: Rent.
Speaker 13: How's your batteries going?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Still buy you charged up?
Speaker 2: Charged up? Locked and low? Do you want to know how much for cell? Phone's on? Not off?
Speaker 8: Another?
Speaker 2: I'm normally in the red.
Speaker 13: I know you've had a good you've had a cool night. It's a matter of Monday, so it's all good day.
Speaker 2: What do you got to say anything interesting?
Speaker 13: Yeah, batteries. My suggestion is for the garden operated machinery batteries is to store them into a steel box, away from everything. Locked them to steel box, getting individually away from everything, especially in the off season when it doesn't get used as much because they're just sitting an idol, so they don't actually can actually fault being not charged enough time.
Speaker 2: Sort of think we just while they catch fire.
Speaker 11: They do? They do.
Speaker 13: Yeah, A lot of a lot of tradees know that, and a lot of gardeners know that landscapers is just keep us separate away from everything and especially dead through the tour box. Still tour box, getting the chief of the warehouse by a team, separate from everything.
Speaker 2: Hood On the radio today they're advertising in South and not to put your batteries in your redburn. I guess that's causing the fires as well, the way people are disposing of them.
Speaker 13: Yeah yeah, if they think that's the ions. But those and those AA batteries and AAA batteries and they catching fire just have been individually by themselves. Then you've got this source of the garden machinery toll. So you've got to keep them away from everything too. So also themselves.
Speaker 2: Will the double A and triple a's, would they spontanely can bust when they're being crushed?
Speaker 13: Yeah, well, I don't know the ins and outs of that. That could be something that happens with that's that's something you put it into a bag, you put into the into the bins, whether you keep holding them. There's times when kids actually have talked the toy boxes and you put them in the AA batteries and they've come to them into a toy and then they go into a into a plastic box. They're going to covered for a couple of years, and they do head up after a while. So it's good danger in that.
Speaker 2: I think I always sort with batteries left and toys. They always just leaked, don't they They go wet what happens to those kind of what's that called?
Speaker 13: That's idization? Is itation?
Speaker 2: Yes, something that we'll find out. Nice talking to you, Andrew Marcus. Welcome, Hi, How are you good? Andrew?
Speaker 20: First of all, I'd like to make a bit of a confession because the other night that you had you had some a discussion on things that you do, that you naughty things.
Speaker 4: That you do.
Speaker 20: Yes, yeah, well sometimes I have rung up and if accused too long to get on here, I'll hung up on you.
Speaker 2: I'll do that too. I wouldn't hang around just to go on the radio.
Speaker 20: That's right. So tonight I'd like to you talk about boy racers or or pete young people racers or the racers.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 20: I don't think that really the mentality of your boy of your racer has changed in the last thirty years at all. It's young boys and some women just want to save up their money and buy the best car that they can and modernize it. Do you know what I mean? That hasn't That hasn't changed. What's changed is the amount of people that they can get congregating together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 20: And the reason for that is because of the cell phones. Yeah, this is the cell phones so they could extually connect up the anti No no social media and the young people make the agent but older and you're not just not allowed to have a phone unless you actually have it registered to a name. So you can't have burner phones anymore. You've got to if you have a phone, you've got to know that it should Marcus Slusher's phone, and that's a phone number.
Speaker 2: I can't Andrew, I am suspecting in the old days with wood of Mouth and get thousands would congregate for the illegal drags.
Speaker 20: No, no, only only if you knew that it was going to be happening.
Speaker 2: That's almost when Wood goes around school, they're going to be out at Oh yeah, okay, I just wonder, but you might have a point.
Speaker 20: And then and then they can basically, if there's so many people there, the police can just close down that cell phone site. And if it's an illegal activity to congregate, they know that Marcus Flush is not number.
Speaker 2: We ever had a drag yet, Hey, Andrew, what part of the country are you in? Christ Boy Race is a problem because they did it. They did have a kind of a non race area declared in the middle of the city, didn't They which I thought worked quite well. Is that correct?
Speaker 20: Well, they used to have lots of boy races riding around, driving around and things like that, but now they all and they used to go around the Forehead, up f Steal, down Bee Lee, down Deans and down Morehouse there, and they used to do that and then they had the sort of stopped that.
Speaker 18: So I mean they still do it.
Speaker 20: They're not they're not. They're not that like Alaricans.
Speaker 2: Really, that's just there's just wasn't they just board country bumpkins coming into the big smoke for the weekend for Friday nights.
Speaker 5: A wee bit of that.
Speaker 20: And they also a lot of them that they all go out behind at the airport and then there's talk of it the other day up Gibbee's paths. They do all their drifting and things like that up Gibbee's path. So there is a problem, but it's a little bit more kind of like isolated.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, but I don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's just the.
Speaker 20: Thing that they're congregated on math. They could seem quite intimidating, but one on one they're probably just not worse than what we were when we were lads.
Speaker 2: What were you racing when you were a child.
Speaker 20: My first car was a Galank sixteen ol pillarless windows. It was a crossflow motor.
Speaker 3: It was awesome.
Speaker 20: Yeah, Glent was nineteen seventy four. I bought it in about eighty one, so it was quite a late model car. A dream car was a Mini Cooper. I had a many, but not the MANI Cooper. Then I bought one not so long ago, about three or four years ago, I bought a Mini Cooper really nicely Carl was a thirteen hundred yep believe, and it was great for the first first, you know, a few months, you know, yeah or so, and then it wore off and I thought, well, it's just nostalgia.
Speaker 7: And it might be.
Speaker 20: It might have been great when I was seventeen, but.
Speaker 2: Not you've grown up.
Speaker 20: Well, yeah, now I see these old people going around these the eight holdings and things like that, and I think I give them the thumbs up.
Speaker 4: And your poor you know, the.
Speaker 20: Old wifes in the front seat freezing with nose air conditioning and bumpy, and you know the guy I thinks he's seventeen when he's eighty four.
Speaker 2: You never see the wife driving it, do you never?
Speaker 20: No, they always sit there some pretty looking so bored.
Speaker 11: Yes, yes, just like.
Speaker 2: It's the other thing you never see, Andrew. You never see the woman on the front of a tandem. They're always on the back, just pushing but never get to steer.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 20: Yeah, they're in the front of the the old holding or something. I'm sure it's a nice thing looking car, but it's only nostalgia and it's certainly think gym wants to take the holding it and I don't really want to go. I'd rather be doing anything. But ready's sitting in the front of the bumpy.
Speaker 4: Old too hot, too cold.
Speaker 2: You know what's across what's across their flow.
Speaker 20: Across the motor. A lot of them TV you know, like you said, overhead can and across. So that was quite anovative at that time. In the early seventies. You have the Japanese coach so that your cab you're ready, goes on on one goes and one side cross the head of the head and then out the horse men I fold on the other.
Speaker 4: Side across flow motor.
Speaker 11: No, yeah, but now it's all.
Speaker 20: Steed and that's just how they are. And now you know the carves nar are like like you get those golf, gtis and those skylines you like, you know, steel and most wouldn't driven something that fast.
Speaker 2: You're right about the aging car people the way they do.
Speaker 14: You know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you wonder about it, don't you, because yeah, I don't even know what that's like. Just go take your car out for a cruise on the Saturday when you're in your seventies or sixties.
Speaker 4: I mean that's far enough.
Speaker 20: I mean that's what makes them happy. But you've actually got to get to a point where you think yourself. Actually it was called when I was eighteen or nineteen, but you know you're not.
Speaker 2: There's probably not the fifty or sixty year old still turning up to the legal dregs though, are they? I guess probably not.
Speaker 14: No, I don't know.
Speaker 20: Well, if you know, I mean no, no, they wouldn't be they it's all yeah, it's there's just your young fellows. I don't Yeah, they do drifting. It's more drifting than outright.
Speaker 2: What what drifting looks really appealing? Drifting looks like it would be quite a fun sensation to be in one of those cars sliding. It looks good.
Speaker 20: I think it would be. So I've thought the same you had a good real wheel drive. But you've got to hit the brake and all the reason to be able to get them to get it skidding. But you know they look that they'll be going around those tracks pretty bloody fast, right, they wouldn't be going slow.
Speaker 2: Where do they drift up Gidde's Pass? Is it where they go?
Speaker 22: Yeah?
Speaker 20: I heard something on the radio this morning about them going up and down Gibbie's Pass, drifting in different places. But you've probably got the boy racers and then you've got your serious drift. Does that go out to ru a poona? But I think that the biggest problem with the with the boys, with the with the the the racers now is it's the cell phones and that's allowed congregate.
Speaker 2: Would you would you get people boy racing and electric cars?
Speaker 20: I've never actually seen a boy race or electric have I?
Speaker 2: But they're ploody fat Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. They'd wiped the floor the others.
Speaker 20: Oh yeah, They've been such a game changer because I was in the in the super market once and I was just talking to a fellow next to me and he had a talking and so what's to go flurid hundred? He had to spend a half seconds, so I started giving a week demos. So he just pulled out and then he topped off. He knew he pulled the chipsy all out of the road and he just gave them a bit of the zip up to sort of like you know, the speed limit.
Speaker 2: He didn't think he would have put you there was a fair question I would have offered you a ride.
Speaker 20: Let's do though, you know you're you're south from you know, really down there.
Speaker 2: Brilliant nice to hear from me, Andrew two to twelve. I'd never ask anyone for writing their tesla Marcus. I was on a flight from Australia winning to visit my mother. I walked into the plane and walked past some cool looking dudes, didn't think much of it, started chatting to them. When he landed Winnington through customs, etcetera for like an hour, and when we cleared customs, we had a rather large crowd and we got into the main lounge cheering and taking pictures of clinging. Some news stations turned out US chat to Geene Simmons the whole time, and the kiss crew love the fact that I know who he was and offered me tickets to come hang out with him. Did and wow, there we go. Do you use your phone whilst charging it that caused the battery to overheat? Then fowl? Yes, I do always endlessly Anita. Hello, Hello, good evening, evening, Anita, how are you good thing?
Speaker 23: I don't think we've actually spoken before.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. I didn't recognize your voice or name.
Speaker 23: Yeah, I was calling about batteries. Yeah, I live in Norway and we have the schools actually collect the batteries here to educate the children and how to dispose of them.
Speaker 2: Well, are we talking like batteries for rechargeable things, also batteries like ever ready ones?
Speaker 23: Yeah, all of your sort of disposable ones, your lythium ones and things like that. Okay, and basically yeah, yeah, they say that eighty percent of the fires that are caused here and either your waste disposable trucks or in the recycling is caused by batteries. Sure, so what you do is that you tape your lithium batteries sell buttons, and you tape all your double A, triple A, CD and nine fault batteries the positive ends, and you tape them before you dispose of them so they don't rub together and cause spark.
Speaker 2: So you just put a bit of masking tape around one end of them.
Speaker 23: Yeah, or your cello tape, just your tape, if and doubt tape, and don't put them in your general rubbish.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised they've never said anything here because as I'm thinking, that seems to be very sensible, isn't it.
Speaker 23: Yeah, And then because it's eighty percent of them, they've found fires are caused by this, so you know the children actually click them at school. I don't know they had a scheme here so that they can educate them because they're the ones that are always using batteries basically disposable batteries, so that the way they understand it.
Speaker 2: Will your bigger batteries feel like your lawnmarer and stuff like that. I wouldn't know where to put the tape on those because it's kind of it's kind of down grooves, isn't it.
Speaker 23: Well that stuff for lawn mower, who knows. I mean, you would take them to your recycling center and they would dispose of them correctly. That's what we do very strict here. We have people watching what we'd dump. Really every piece of wood, every piece of stick.
Speaker 2: Wow, oh yeah, are you okay about that?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's done with your approval.
Speaker 23: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, don't mind that at all. Yeah, we're very big recyclers.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I like that about the tape. That makes perfect sense to me. I don't know if I'll start doing that, but I like it. Marcus. I still see drivers of a certain age group thumbing their windscreens when traveling over gravel roads or through word works. Does it actually work? Maybe back when the theory was that stopped the glass and showing when it s don't hit the wind screen. I don't think it works anymore since they change the shape of vehicles. I haven't seen anyone holding their windscreen for a long long time. It's something I would notice. The windscreen pushes always looks slightly desperate. I've always thought. I like this text Marcus Anita from Norway. It's not the first to suggest taping battery terminals any batteries at a b security airports when they see loose batteries. I not in the normal purchase packaging and your carry and luggage. It's okay to take them with the bettery timinals. The tape to prevent any spark. It's normal procedure. It's not a Norway thing, cheers Gazer. Queen's down, well gas has been so triggered. What I like most about gazers text, he says. He says high Margus Anita from and and Norway's an inverted comments like she's made it up.
Speaker 6: Mhfy.
Speaker 2: I had a New World to the Heart Valley, customers could drop the old batteries to them. The tape ends and they tape in the dispose of old batteries. Well, I think it's quite funny about I know about people to about New World and rot chickens. There was for a while if you went to New World and there were no chickens in the chicken warming, you got one for free. Is that still a thing that was famous before? Even before TikTok when things were TikTok famous, that was famous to get your free chicken. No word about it now, Anisa from Norway Inverted Commas.
Speaker 1: For more from Marcus Slash Nights, listen live to News Talk s'd Be from eight pm weekdays, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.