Speaker 1: Life for the Export Beer Garden's studio and brought to you, as always by Export Ultra the Beer for Here. This is the Agenda Podcast for Pinching and Punch the first of November.
Speaker 2: The Agenda Podcast, the home of Sporting Nonsense and clap Trap, brought to you by Export of Culture.
Speaker 3: And a very good morning to James mconey more than me, Iah. How's it going? Yeah, happy Halloween Boxing Day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I suppose it isn't there any Halloween. There'd be a lot of Halloween sales on right now, isn't there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's Halloween always in my neighborhood, which is basically your neighborhood. And I think the code is you're going to put out orange balloons?
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 5: Ah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, some kind of paraphernalia.
Speaker 1: It did see on the local Facebook community pages, people being like, if the house isn't decorated, don't go up there trick or trading, which I thought was quite good. Yeah, and no one did this year for me, which is good. I'd lock the gate anyway, sir.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: I did a bit of a gate shut as well, because I'm a massive Grench around Halloween.
Speaker 3: And but then I.
Speaker 4: Looked at my house and you mistake some of the flotsam and jetsam for decorations. You know, there's a bit of a there's a few things that need to be thrown out that I'm just like, could that look like pretend you know, sort of spiders whibs and stuff, actual actual spiders whibs.
Speaker 3: It looks like, yeah, it does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't go up there, they say, still lips and don't go up there.
Speaker 3: He's only got a Turkish delight and cherry rape nobody likes them. Well.
Speaker 1: He had a flat mate when I was at UNI who would never come and do the flat shop with us, and whenever we went and did it, we buy ourselves a chocolate barriage. And every time we bring him back a cherry ripe, there's like an if you for not coming to do the flat shop with us, and he gets saying, no, I love cherry ripes. At the end of the year we went into his room. His top drawings has been full of cherry ripes that we brought him back every flat shop.
Speaker 4: But also in the dark when he's he's pulled, it does look like he's got a draw of condoms as well, super safe cherry flavored.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that was the full candy US as well. So I guess the magnums mcconey you won US Game of Two Halves last night, did I? Yes, So if you didn't watch it, we did the buzz the Burner game, which they did on the original Game of Two Halves because we have to tick someone and they have to call in, and we did third person to call in. Once you called in first you were too quick, yeah, Then Petty Gower called in, then you called back and was subsequently the third person and those are the three points we needed to win basically, So that was you with Ross Taylor, Yes, And who else was Brodi Kine and she ticks Patty Gower so he you called first, then her one came through.
Speaker 3: Man, how much it was about that.
Speaker 4: The question was who was what's the name of the waitress who allegedly poisoned the nine ninety five all blocks at Rugby World Cup?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the answer was Susie. Answer was Susie. But you had to be the third caller. And it's kind of one of those things.
Speaker 4: I definitely think it helps if you're a bit older for that one, you know, Yeah, but it's still is you know, nine only five, Susie was talked about a lot. Yeah, he was everywhere. Did anyone even know who Susie was?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I mean i've because I worked with Josh Cronfell. It's just the name drop, but it's it's a fair enough one because he does work for Crowdgoes Wild. He has said that he thought it was the chicken Burgers, and also there was there was I think it was chicken burgers. And because there's a group of them that all went and just did their own thing and went down to McDonald's. I think it was Frank Buntz, John Olomou, Eric Rushes, a whole group of them. It just didn't and they didn't get sick, but it was partaking in the old chicken burgers. It looked a bit green. Yeah, right, so undercooked chicken. I've been poisoned in South Africa by under undercooked.
Speaker 3: Chicken as well.
Speaker 4: SUSI got you, Susie got me in twenty ten, jays, how.
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 4: I was at the breakfast buffet and I could see that they were handling a raw chicken as well as toasts. You know, it's just a bad combo when you know they're doing those two things.
Speaker 3: They're multitasking. Why why did they have chicken and toast?
Speaker 4: Well, on the one hand they're washing a check and on the other hand they're putting the toast in the I don't know, it just stuffed. There's a lot going on, and I felt like that's where I pinpointed it too. I mean, I could have easily got swine flu.
Speaker 3: You look at me. I feel like, you know, a war dog could have just brushed against her or something like that.
Speaker 1: I've had the old salmonella diet before. It was the butter chicken at the food court at the Meridian Center in Dunedin.
Speaker 3: Yeah you, oh straight away.
Speaker 1: The sheets hurt when I was lying in bed the whole week and my sheets hurt.
Speaker 3: They had to take them off as how. Croco was so yes, congratulations on that.
Speaker 4: By the way, Bradie Kane on Game of Two halves every time she is a freaking encyclopedia, isn't she.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, and it's a strange set of knowledge as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it's motorsport fact.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, she beat Lisa Carrington like a some sort of surf life saving event, which.
Speaker 3: Was Yeah, she was good.
Speaker 4: I raced her actually once in a we wanted to swim. It was a Christmas party for Radio Live now defunct Radio Live, and I said to Bradie Kane, go on, then I'll race you over to that boat.
Speaker 3: So we had to run.
Speaker 4: Across Cox's Bay Reserve, hop into the water, swim out to the boat.
Speaker 3: Anyway. He's just about walk out there at Cox Yeah he could.
Speaker 4: It was pathetic, but there was a big warning about you know, poos in the water or something like that, so we couldn't need to swim. We both back down from that, so it was a straight running race. I beat her, Yeah, nice, I beat Brady Kane.
Speaker 1: And so by extension, you're faster than Lisa caring Kne exactly.
Speaker 3: That's right. The goat in the boat at.
Speaker 1: Least across land, Yeah, exactly. McCartney's got a number. The All Backs team was named yesterday. Mccaroniy, I've taken the liberty of printing you out a copy at the back of you we run down there. But the biggest point would be one Boden Barrett has taken the number ten Jersey off Damian McKenzie.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think that's that's the way it was trending wasn't it When you get cent ahead, you know on the advanced flight, it's like.
Speaker 3: Who's going to play against than you are?
Speaker 4: And so, which is pretty cool for someone like tupo Au as well, because it's like, hey, you're on that flight too, mate, don't you worry?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're one of the first teams.
Speaker 4: So I think it's it's great that's kept his spot ahead of Patrick Tupul or two. You know, that's that's a big deal for a young type five forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It a pump his tires up a bit. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well they take a bit of the pressure off, you like, because you'd feel like you're going to get cut at any moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it would be a good little gum.
Speaker 4: Mate, go mate, you're actually that you know he's been bloody good.
Speaker 3: But yes, I agree. Boden is a big talking point. I think cam roy guard off the bench.
Speaker 4: It feels like this could be his tour, you know, it's the comeback tour. He was cutting capers in Japan without putting a sort of a full stop on it. There was one where he just went by himself and it was a massive hungus move, you know when the big overlap. Yeah, I think he was two meters out from the try line and he was going you know, it was like that what's that video game where the go goes le Roy Johnson and he just runs off by himself.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that was one of the call of duty's or something. Yeah, yeah, Leroy Jenkins, Leroy Jenkins.
Speaker 4: So he went full Leroy Jenkins by himself when he had about four people outside him. And I'm sure the video session it must have had a group session where they went.
Speaker 1: Fucking hungers, he fucking hummer, the ballast the ball I think if he hadn't been out for a year, he probably would have, you know, but he hasn't played foot in so long. Is this a I mean, this is obviously a massive vote of confidence in Boden Barrett as the number one, number ten because this this is a I mean, I don't know if it's must win, but this is the biggest test that.
Speaker 3: We've had in quite a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so obviously these are this is the best possible team we could put on the field.
Speaker 3: What does that mean for d mach going forward? My reading too far into it. I feel that d mac as.
Speaker 4: I feel like Mak is a team guy anyway, so he'll take the bench with good attitude.
Speaker 3: He knows.
Speaker 4: I think he realizes that he is so important to that team because just as Spark, he provides as as elite you know like that. England have got one guy like that, Marcus Smith, right, and so we've got we've got two guys like that, and you'd probably put Roy Guard in that category as well, just in terms of you know, Spark plug off the bench. So I reckon England will be shitting their pants about DMC coming coming on and cutting capers. They'll have to have a plan for for that, because everything changes when he's injecting himself into the game. Boden though, my my theory, my feeling about Boden, I've got very strong feelings and about and about four and about he. I reckon he was never given enough of a run in the number ten Jersey and even though he had these sort of speed wobbles where he didn't play well enough and it was clear Richie Wonger was kind of starting to eclipse, and I felt like Boden was never given the chance to kind of iron those out, like you have a shaky lion series like he did well, then surely the next year he's gonna go, Okay, I've learned, I've learned from that, let's go, let's go oh and own it all the way through to the twenty nineteen World Cup. And he's never really given that chance. And do you think McKenzie's gone through that now a little bit?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he needs to actually have all those you know, those games where you just go fuck. Should have just not thrown the reverse flip pass, yeah, to a giant prop who needed it right in the bread basket, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: A The other one that I thought was interesting is the group got dropped and they asked Razor about it, and he said that he didn't meet internal standards, and then when he was pressed on it, he just kept repeating, we've got our own internal standards.
Speaker 3: He didn't meet them there anything, What did the group do? What could he have done?
Speaker 4: I mean, I am Grout, one of the great tourists, and here's the one who said in Washington, with all the monuments, including the Washington Monument, it's not the it's no, it's no Brown Trout from Gore, you know, which is just an perfect tourist. I don't know what happened there, but every now I'm in razor. He's quite he's quite good with the media in the in the sense that he'll he'll say stuff, you'll bat things away, and then all of a sudden he will just go, oh, I know, we send him away to do this, this and this, Like he said, Oh, I'm a penny fe now I need to go away and put on weight. I'm like, come to my place mate, I'll show you.
Speaker 3: Come down the on Saturday night. Yeah, the pork belly at the raza, hold the broccoli for you. We'll get your chip. But the thing is all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 4: Then I'm not sure that you're making it sound like maybe there was a disciplinary thing.
Speaker 1: That's what I immediately go to when hear that. Yeah, unless maybe it was a fitness thing. But then why wouldn't you just say it was a fitness thing, you know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I've been to all Blacks trainings, especially the start of tours, start of seasons, where all the naughty kids in terms of fitness out and it's always fucking wingers and props, you know, like the whole time, like they just they won't do their homework, you know, and it'll be like just some bloody Charlie FuMO and Julian Savia just doing broncos or some.
Speaker 3: Sort of shit running exactly. Yeah, I could have been there.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I just think if you if, if that's what it was, why not say oh, it's just.
Speaker 3: A fitness issue.
Speaker 1: And then that sort of quells it because my conspiratorial mind's like that he hit the past, did he less his fly? What did he what did he get up to? I wouldn't be surprised if we found something out. How do you think we're going to go against England this weekend?
Speaker 4: I think I think we beat England. I think Ireland and France are the slippery ones. But the thing is England have kept improving. But the issue for them is, well we've had a whole season to work out stuff out. They haven't seen Wallace the TT yet and he's going to be unleashed, or they might he might have come on off the bench, but anyway, he's a revelation.
Speaker 3: So Caleb Clark as well.
Speaker 4: After just having this awesome season, we've got this strike winger who I don't think they'll be able to cope with. And again that bench I was looking at Almore Roy guard and d Mac in particular and Tossi Pascilli or Tossi. Yeah, coming off the bench, I was like, Tossy looks like he has done his fitness right, Yeah, he's looking slum.
Speaker 3: He does. He does.
Speaker 1: It's actually almost shocking when you see him out on the Fieldy I didn't. Yeah, okay, because you remember him or you a picture him. It's the biggest man you've ever seen in your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's got a bit of shape about him. Yeah, Godzilla, you've fucking trimmed down, haven't you, mate?
Speaker 1: And no respite either as to Mighty Williams comes off in the fiftieth sixtieth minute usually as a prop you're breathing of siyah relief, not we'll got another one.
Speaker 3: Comes to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like Jurassic Park where that one of the great scenes with the water and on the dashboard of the car starts to make little ripples and you go, oh fuck, t Rex is here. So when England lose, we went sacked in England.
Speaker 3: We're doing the hacker. You can't stop us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, what do you think of old Joe mart I know he's come out and said, oh.
Speaker 3: He was just a tongue in cheeks, so they having a correct Yeah, no, I mean it's weird. I think Look, I feel like it's called war.
Speaker 4: Dancers are therefore all in Sundry and in fact Australia and South Africa shoulde hundred percent be doing one. Yes, I've fucking missed the boat big time because we know I've seen, I've been to those countries. They've got some awesome shit going on in that over it and that kind of genre. So fucking do one. Whereas England can do one, can do one, whereas England are like pissing around.
Speaker 3: I mean everyone the jokes. Are they going to do a Morris dance?
Speaker 4: Well there's other ship if you want, if you want to do one, but I know we don't because we're here to play rugby stiff shit man. We do the hucker, yes, and get the may pole out or shut up, bring that pole if it's a strip of pole, fine whatever, just use any pole you can express yourself.
Speaker 1: We'd love to see this goal post there. Yeah, no one's stopping you from using those. Yeah, run a couple of bloody strings.
Speaker 3: Ribbons yeah, ribbons, yes, ribbons.
Speaker 1: Morris darts would be that, it would actually be the perfect counter to the hucker.
Speaker 3: It would just the most bizarre.
Speaker 4: Or a Monty Python dance where they slap the fish on the If you slap someone with a fish, I think it will be all on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, yeah, toy much clip clopping with the coconuts.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Yeah, okay, just quickly before we're going to take a quick break.
Speaker 1: But before we do, g Lane has got a hold of the tearb account and he's put today's a sec agenda hunch on. He's gone for the Brazilian Grand Prix and he's gone Liam Lawson for a points finish nice at three dollars, which I thought, it's pretty good, Like it's quite short. He's looking good, yes, and he's passing everyone off. He's given the flipping the bird. I didn't realize it was his teammate that he flipped the bird too. Yeah he or is it a it's not his teammate. There's like two red Bull teams. Sorry, so it's the other red Bull team, right, but I mean I guess that's no.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, you're quite right, that's right, the other red Bull team. But yeah, it is kind of I guess they related don't they. Yeah, well yeah, it's like I mean, it's yeah, you're definitely going to see them quite close in the pits, aren't you. You're not going to be totally separated.
Speaker 1: It's like me flipping off Jason Hoyt while he's doing his drive show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly what you do frequently, which I do every day I'm out of building.
Speaker 1: You know, we're going to come across each other and put lane at some point, and it's on Jason hord. I hope you listen to this. All right, quick break, we'll come back and talk a little bit of n RL. All right, we're back from the first of our paid o breaks. Have you said that story about the company offering O breaks?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yes, six for a company offering it's quite good. And Organs back. So McCay and I have just had an break separate, but maybe the next one. We joined the NRL.
Speaker 1: So it's first of November, as I said, pension punch, and it kind of almost feels like they're starting to get a bit of an off season free agency thing going in the NRL. So what's happened is basically, if your contract, the contracts are up until October thirty, first, so there's a lot of players who are off contract. There's also the first day that you're allowed to talk to other clubs officially if you are on contract. But I know there's a lot of like back room shit that goes on. So that's why you're seeing a lot of headlines around player movement in the NRL. I feel like I've always complained about the way players move in the NRL, Like there'll be a player who's like, oh, yeah, I'm leaving after the season, like we just had with ad Infanua Blake, Yeah, and I for the whole season, You've got to sit there and be like, yeah, but he's fucking off at the end of the year. You know, they need some sort of trade window free agency situation.
Speaker 3: That always been the.
Speaker 4: Weirdest thing in the NRL, as a guy announcing that he's leaving and then it's just six or maybe four months of just weirdness, awkwardness and then hoping that they that there might be a playoff run. But probably in their heart of hearts, they like thinking, actually, like a proper off season before I have to go and run on other sand dunes somewhere around.
Speaker 3: The good point, you know, like how do they get proper? Do they? I mean delivering a.
Speaker 4: Title to your old team. I guess that will be still cool. But your mind's elsewhere. You're looking on real estate, dot com, dot au for your new digs.
Speaker 1: Everything is trying to find a home for your dogs. Ye take it back to Australia with you.
Speaker 3: All of that. It's expensive a to take a dog over there.
Speaker 1: Or they think you can afford it. A few other number one paid proper in the league anyway.
Speaker 4: Yes, but anyway, that's that's by the bye. The fact that when James Fisher Harris was signed, I just remember thinking, all ship, that's it's actually good. I didn't think we were going to get anyone in as good as Adam Fanua Blake. But we've done that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have done that. That's exactly it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so it's it's all very confusing, but a lot of players changing teams. Obviously, yesterday, just after we finished recording, the Warriors signed Tanner Boyd And there were two reactions that I've seen to this from Gold Coast Titans the Gold Coast SARTs. The first reaction was who and the second reaction was do we need that? So Tanner Boyd. If you don't know who he is, he plays for the Titans. He's a half that can cover hooker as well ki Assie. He's an Aussie as far as I know, But I also thought Phoenix Crossland was an Aussie in terns out. Yeah, he's a proper k well into yeah yeah, so as far as I know, he's Australian. But I guess the confusing part is we also signed Aaron Clark from the Titans, who's a hooker slip right Locke. We've basically pillaged there. The bench is now our bitch, so that hooker slash lose forward is it? There?
Speaker 4: Is that a panic by after Ja Stavangert left or something like that.
Speaker 3: It kind of seemed like that. It is a bit of a much for a muchness sort of thing.
Speaker 1: But I really don't know where Tanner Boyd fits into the to the Warriors thing. He's not going to be one of our starting halves. He won't be our starting hooker. I guess it's injury cover for if Wade Eggan gets his dumb rattled again. But there's been a few more interesting headlines out of the NRL in the last twenty four hours the main one is and everyone knew this, but josh Ado Carr has officially been.
Speaker 3: Sacked by the Bulldogs. What for this time?
Speaker 1: Josh Adow lines in the car got done for test a positive for cocaine at a roadside drug test over there in Australia and the the NRL handed him a four match suspension, but the Bulldogs said because of a lack of transparency, I he wouldn't talk to them about what had happened, what hadn't happened. There's a chance he probably tried to cover it up and they said, so we're gonna bin here.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: If there's a team that needs a winger without an outspeed, it is the one New Zealand Warriors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, we.
Speaker 4: Don't mind, mate, come over here. We'll give you an Uber account or something. The thing with I wonder if he was stopped by that Ossie Checkpoint TV show. Have you seen it where they blow in the bag and then they put them in the light. You don't know where is it going to go over the limited and you're waiting. Sometimes I'll cut to in the head and you.
Speaker 3: Go, oh, you fastest, because there's.
Speaker 4: Some bloody, bloody Bogan and his single It just waiting and just saying, no, mate, I've only had a couple and bloody, I'm absolutely fine, what are you talking about? And you're going, no, you're not, and then he blows in the bag and it's like, actually he is. Yeah, you know, It's like I can't believe that because his speech was slurs and everything, and so I'm just wondering. I was hoping that Josh had Oca was caught on that show.
Speaker 3: That would have been great. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's one of my favorite clips on social media. I laugh as I cry every time I said this guy wasted. His eyes are rolling in the back of his head and it's just like on the brink of passing out, and then it comes up green and he's fine, He's fine.
Speaker 3: Exactly what the hell like?
Speaker 4: Sometimes the machine explodes the ones who carry it, who hide it, well, the old boys a you know in an old commodore, you know, the Commodore Calaei or something like that, and you think that all right, and it's like, no, no, he's fucking eighty percent whiskey.
Speaker 3: You actually have you seen the guy that.
Speaker 1: Drives around our neighborhood on a paramedic heels bike thing. He goes up and down to the I think to THEAH in our neighborhood. Yeah, yeah, it's like decked out in paramedic heels. Anyway, I think that a lot of those mobility scooters for those old guys, are to get away from the drink driving because can't get done on sidewalk.
Speaker 3: You will get you kick.
Speaker 4: Can you're not on a mobility scooter, Well they must find you can't.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is a good question. They're not going to pull you over. But yeah, but if.
Speaker 4: They saw you weaving around on your mobility scooter, some of them end up on the you know, you could get done.
Speaker 3: They go bucking rogue.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I almost got hit by a bike on the footpath today.
Speaker 3: And there's so many cycle lades in central Auckland. I was like, what the fuck.
Speaker 4: There's one right over there. And this guy had a little crate on the front. Have you seen him around the crate guy and craig guy. I think he has the crate in case he sees bits and pieces on the on the Yeah, yeah, he's anyway, it's just about cleaning out. So who else are we getting the wires?
Speaker 1: So the wars we are getting Aaron Clark, who's a son of Timapatter Clark George.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yes, she Tima Patter George these days.
Speaker 1: Yeah Clark anyway, Yeah, so yeah, that's and he's been with the Warriors before.
Speaker 3: I think she presented him as Jersey when he first played. Awesome, So he's coming back.
Speaker 1: And then Tanner Boys obviously James Fisher Harris as well. But we've lost Marcelo Montour, yes, so we're down a winger. So we could probably do with Josh edow lines in the car. Tyrone Thompson was a brother of Leoson Jeeves Monna plays for your Chiefs mana. He's hitting over, he's leaving the Chiefs. He's going to join his brother at the Nights.
Speaker 4: It's a beautiful sort of fairy tale story, this one, because I feel like Tyrone is an exact what would you call a description of a rugby player who was always between three or four positions.
Speaker 3: He wasn't a perfect hooker.
Speaker 4: He wasn't he could have played loose forward, but probably not, you know, I don't know, just he wasn't so big enough or all hookers or rapid or you know what I mean. Like there's that thing where you go, yeah, all hookers are that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all hookers are loose forwards that never grow true.
Speaker 4: And so you go, Okay, this is actually good for him. League solves that problem. And I feel like there's a lot of small guys in union. Like there's a guy, what's his name is, Jared Cook Savage. You know, he's a combination of Captain Cook's first landing. It's like he is the guy who's little and buzzes around the NPC.
Speaker 3: Looks kind of good. But in an NRL team, yeah he.
Speaker 4: Could because they've got those little spots for a fallback or a impact hooker or whatever you know. Like, and there's two halves who are generally quite small, so there's at least four positions out there in the league that you can fill.
Speaker 1: League players are deceptively small. Yeah, when you see them out in the out in the wild, like is actually quite small. I reckon it's why Benji couldn't transfer to rugby union.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a little bit too small for a first five. And he wasn't really a first five, no natural position for him, no, exactly. He did it the other way.
Speaker 4: Whereas always look at even justin Marshall. He was a really good halfback, but you know in league it would have been because he's so combative and stuff, and he could have probably been a really good hooker in league.
Speaker 3: Same with TJP.
Speaker 4: He's been eclipsed by those young guys, but he always seemed to me like he probably could have made the move. And Jimmy cown Yeah, well yeah, he would have loved the the afters. He would have loved the parties on the Goaldie. I reckon, jim I think he's a power diver down there and in the cargo now is even bluff?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh nice? Yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: Could never get him, could never get a hold of him. Does never his phone on him when he's down there under the water. The other, the other one that really caught my eye.
Speaker 3: Is Terrell May. So he is he You may have heard of him.
Speaker 1: He's a prop for the Roosters who just lost Jared Wide your hardgravees can we as well? Terrell May has been dropped by the Roosters that sort of came out of nowhere. Now his brother is the one who got May tattooed across his throat.
Speaker 3: Do you remember seeing that?
Speaker 1: So Tyrone is his name. He played for the was he Tyrone? Yeah, he played for the Panthers. He got may tattooed across his throat. Then he filmed himself doing about one hundred and something k's past the school in a rented supercar.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, got his contract torn up.
Speaker 1: Terrell may Is the guy was one of the guys in the video with Brandon Smith earlier this year. Oh yeah, when they're all in the hotel room.
Speaker 3: So what's happened to him?
Speaker 1: Don't know, but he so just torn his contract up. The thing is he's had a breakout season. They just signed him to a two year extension. Yeah, and they just lost another one of their props. They then they drop them. Something's going on there.
Speaker 4: He sounds like the perfect we called fodder for that NRL three sixty exactly because they would love to talk about all the drama of a young prop doing naughty things. They're never going to talk about the drama of a senior official at a club or maybe a club owner.
Speaker 3: But they will bloody whale on any young any young player with a neck tattoo. They are in all in.
Speaker 4: Whereas it's quite funny because everyone goes that's such a hard heading show, and I go, yeah, not for the top brass, like they don't seem to talk about you know, shit dodgy little payments and paper bags full of money and how they because that apparently happens a lot in the NRL. Yeah, and you think they don't know about it. Of course they know exactly. But if they brought that fucking house of cards down, then isn't it then either I don't know, they'll end up like Swimming with the Fishes or there'll be no NRL three sixty because those guys are so powerful.
Speaker 3: Like that show is taken off now, that's right, And if our show isn't back on Monday, you'll know what's happening.
Speaker 4: Talking about paperbag payments by a lot of clubs.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, two two clubs really stick out, they are We mentioned one one of them's yeah, and the other ones had some titles stripped off for exactly that. Clinton Gatherson's leaving the Eels as well. I can't picture Gutho in a different Jersey.
Speaker 3: Fuck where's he going? Well the Dragons.
Speaker 1: So the Eels have picked up Zach Lomax, right, so oh my god, what is signing? So presumably the Dragons are going to use that money to sign Gotho, so it's basically a trade. But again, if there was a trade window, you know, this would have been so much more exciting if this was a trade.
Speaker 3: Yes, we'd be so excited about that. Yeah, I know, I know, didn't.
Speaker 4: The West Tigers have signed someone bigs Jerome Loui. Yes, Jerome Loai, So that is really cool because Louais going to work under Benji Marshall is exciting. But they've also got that absolute superstar in the making who's eighteen years old and Lucky Galvin. So just having those guys there. Can people just leave the Wist Tigers. I've got a bit of a soft spot for them because of Gary Freeman and all the kiwis Olsen for the pineter who played there. But leave Brittany alone, Leave Brittany and alone because the Roosters they took to Disco, the Storm took Peppenhausen from under their noses. Can they just leave these two there and see what they can do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Melbourne Storm even gave Harry Grant to the Tigers and then we're like, oh no, hang on, actually we're having back because that's mean. And the one other one that I wanted to mention was buntil four. He is leaving the NRL, going over to the Super League, and I feel like not enough was made of buntil four being told he could leave the Warriors.
Speaker 3: Yes, what a legend he's been for the club. Yes, that iconic. Here, the whole thing is like, so he's going, but unceremonious to be to be feared. How old is he? Because he always seemed forever young. He he is just the pist went to high school with him. So okay, that's how old he is. Oh well it might not even be thirty.
Speaker 1: Y know.
Speaker 3: He's young, Yeah, very young.
Speaker 1: Okay, he may be back yet, and this is probably something that I should discuss with Matt Heath when he's back on next week.
Speaker 3: But the Dodgers won the World Series? Do we hear? Yes?
Speaker 4: We do here because before we move on to the Dodgers, you talked about the Worriors needing a winger. So Micah Sivo apparently is on the market. But is he looking at rugby or something?
Speaker 1: I think he's looking at Super League right, which because he could make so much money in rugby. He could and they could probably do with them, he'd probably walk into the Wallabies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, easy this take that tharough.
Speaker 1: I was also thinking, imagine if you're a winger and you play for a whole of hooders Field or Wigan or something, and you're gonna go out there on the frozen tundra and face Micah sibo oh Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because he could do a rad raja and end up, you know, playing for Fiji and all that sort of stuff if he wanted to, but long and needs to do it too long, do a too long deal?
Speaker 3: Okay, Yes, Dodges Dodgers. How do we feel about it? We're excited. I know Matt he's been talking about nothing but the Dodgers. Yes.
Speaker 4: I've got a couple of mates who love the Dodgers, Matt Heaths one, Nathan NADERI is mad keen Dodgers fan. I'm kind of like, I'm semi Dodgers, you know. I've got a bit of semi for them. I think that there's there's stuff to like, but then they keep keep on spending, and so I feel like they're a bit like Manchester United in the old days, where you just like any good player just ended up.
Speaker 3: On the Dodgers. Yeah. Yeah, felt that way with it because they got it. When they did that deal. It was like, yeah, yeah, I see what you've done there. Yeah the salary sombrero.
Speaker 4: So yes, I think it's cool apparently, Like I listened to I won't say we don't promote other podcasts, but I listened to an American one where they were going, remember when people cared about base Remember when they're honking their horns when someone won the World Series and blah blah blah, so skills. Yeah, no it's not, no Dan Libertad, but anyway, it was. It's like that kind of a little bit miffed or you know, underwhelmed by the whole thing.
Speaker 1: But this is I mean, maybe it's just because I've been talking to Heath a lot, but this seems to be the most well supported World Series I can remember.
Speaker 4: Well, it's you have the two powerhouses right there. There's no bigger names in the sport than Dodgers and Yankees, right.
Speaker 3: So, and everyone's got one of the hats? Yes, yeah, exactly which one? Which one goes better?
Speaker 4: I mean I feel like New York Yankees sells more hats, but LA still makes a decent splash.
Speaker 1: It'd be one A one B. I got a New York Yankees hat somewhere in my closet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my sister brought me the pin stripe hat back in the nineties and I thrashed the shit out of that till it was red beer. Yeah, a great cap. But I've still got so much abuse from Americans because they are for no reason. It's like because you don't know anything about the team, or just because they hate the Yankees. Ah right, you don't realize is really just a lightning rod for for abuse. Whereas I wore a Cleveland Brown's jersey once and they over in America and they were every American second favorite team, and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, oh, yeah, it's quite good.
Speaker 4: And the same with a Georgia Bulldog shirt, like you just go Bulldogs and you just get that from people yelling across the streets. So it's just like a that that's an American thing. Really, they acknowledged the team that you were, that you're wearing or supporting, and as a key, we like I've got a Dodger's shirt. I've got a free freaking hot dog from some guy in la As they had my Dodger's shirt on. I didn't even realize because it just said Los Angeles and I, oh, of course it's a Dodger shit.
Speaker 3: In New Zealand, no one had mentioned anything. No I would say anything.
Speaker 1: Although I do think if you're wearing Warriors kit and another guy in Warrior's kit partechiclarly on game day, they'll have a yarn.
Speaker 3: I think so too. I think that's actually where it's changed there.
Speaker 4: I thinks merchants become a big up the Wars when you see and I saw someone in airport security overseas and I set up the wires to them and he wasn't that excited at all. He's like, I was like, come on, mate's and I'm upping the Wars.
Speaker 3: You're wearing Wars. Can we have a little first mount. Let's go on. He's probably just got to have a seventeen hour flight show.
Speaker 1: We've been talking about selling our ute on Auto Trader mccaroney and we're finally doing it. The auction went live overnight. I know who's leading the bidding, and that's because it's me. I'm trying to buy this thing. Yeah, all the boy, do you want to buy it?
Speaker 3: I love the suit.
Speaker 1: I've bonded with it, and I've been saying this whole time. It's been a massive own goal because it was my idea to sell it. I was like, look, the Auto Trader want to want you to tell New Zealand about your cars, Like we've got a car, let's sell it.
Speaker 3: And then I was like, what the fuck did you say that? You do it because I drive it most of the time.
Speaker 4: So Auto Trader we're doing auctions a bit like trade me now, Is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Basically, yeah, that's the go.
Speaker 1: And so this is actually the first car that Auto Trader are selling by auction, as the Alternative Commentary Collective's nineteen ninety eight Ford falcon Ute. We've done it up because all of the proceeds go to November in z and you can bid on that bad boyd right now, but you'll be going head to head.
Speaker 3: With me if you place the winning bid.
Speaker 1: A bunch of people have gotten on board with us, so we've loaded the glove box with a thousand dollars worth of petrol vouchers, one thousand dollars worth of grocery vouchers. We're going to iPhone sixteen, a Marshall amp Bear fridge as well dropped into the tray.
Speaker 4: So really shit, I'm the start bidding so text what sorry I interrupted, you'll read no, no.
Speaker 1: I know the text ute to three two three six for a direct link to the Auto Trader listing. And while you're there telling New Zealand about your car, it's so easy to sign up for an account there as well. I did it this morning and straight away I'm into the into the bidding war.
Speaker 3: What's the bidding end? At the moment before we.
Speaker 1: Walked in here, it was I think somewhere between a grand and fifteen hundred, so it's very early doors and when does it shut? Runs for the whole month? So I will be out but by someone at some point.
Speaker 3: Because it is a bit of a classic that you use.
Speaker 1: It's so suck like when people, particularly dudes, they'll come over and be like, this is sirck what year is it? Is it six? Celeing the eight cylinder whatever? Blah blah blah. And it used to have your face on it, which would stop people in their tracks. Yeah, yeah, we've done it up now so it doesn't have everyone's face on it.
Speaker 3: Storm Purpose's face was over the petrol cap.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's right, and then every time you put petrel and you were putting something in the Storm's mouth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which and when we did burnouts in it, there was petrol coming out of the camp that was like coming out of Storm's eyes.
Speaker 3: She was gorying. But also storm purpose is only done.
Speaker 4: I think two podcasts, maybe a little bit of commentary for the AC set.
Speaker 3: What I What am I going to do? I couldn't get on the petrol cap whea. Do you know what I checked?
Speaker 4: Speaking of things that are for sale, the ACC Almanac, I've heard a lot of people saying I want to get that as a Christmas gift for this person that person. Can you sign it? When they first told me about it, I thought they're talking about like a cricket almanac.
Speaker 3: Or was than sports?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think there was some New Zealand sports almanac out and I went, why do you want me to sign it?
Speaker 3: Get someone who actually plays sport?
Speaker 4: And they said no, no, you were actually on the cover the fucking ACC Almanac. And I went, oh shit, Okay, well yeah, I guess so. But then I thought I'm going to check and see because I wrote a chapter for Dylan Cleaver who was on deadline. He was absolutely shitting his pants. It was about two days before he had to hand in his manuscript and he goes, I need something on you know everyone's doing it.
Speaker 3: You've got a chapter on how to streak?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 3: Yep? How to Streak?
Speaker 1: And also the signs that you're a Warriors diehard fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you write those yourself?
Speaker 1: That was ghost written by my dad nice who comes up every time you're on this podcast we talk about my dad.
Speaker 3: Ste's a good writer. She's a good writer. These spelling mistakes, but.
Speaker 4: That's still but he's still got the gift of the quill. And so I think, Dylan, he goes, it's okay, mate, you can just we can do an interview.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I'll turn on the dictaphone and I'll just take some notes. And I went, mate, just leave it with me. I'll write you something. And I because I could tell I could. It was Dylan Cleaver under pressure, Dylan Cleaver. You know, He's like, I've got this bloody book I've got to write. And then I went, it's all right, I'll write you a chapter. But then I thought, is he going to credit me with the chapter?
Speaker 3: Given that I wrote it with my own bare hands?
Speaker 4: And then he did. Well, it does say in the book James mcconey's Guide to blah blah blah. But I do notice your two chapters have no mention of your father.
Speaker 1: No, I probably should have said on this podcast this we'll get back to him.
Speaker 3: He'll be hitting them out for front there for some royalties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well look if it makes him feel any better, I haven't seen the fucking center it either.
Speaker 3: But you can't go and buy them forty bucks or something? Is it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think it's I think it's forty bucks. So go onto the a SEC website and audio your copy. Now, all right, I think we need to take a quick break and when we come back, let's get Jason Pine on to preview this K football derby.
Speaker 3: Juicy.
Speaker 1: Oh well, it's a great honor and privilege to join, well what I consider to be the voice of the round ball here in New Zealand. Mcconi absolutely the douy and the youngest douyan ever.
Speaker 3: It's Jason Pine. Good morning, Piney. How you going?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Good things. I feel like deui in you know, suggests a community elder of some sort. But that's okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've just risen to power really young, like Justin Trudeau in Canada. Really, I think it's just one of those ones where who's that handsome devil?
Speaker 3: He's now in charge? What's that handsome doy in? Yeah?
Speaker 1: You fired up for this weekend's derby, piny. Does it feel like a derby?
Speaker 5: You absolutely does. I'm usterly fired up for it, totally first for it in the capital. Yeah, it feels like the start of a pretty special weekend. The Auckland FC fans, some of them have already hit town. I've seen a few blue and black Recklica shirts around here this morning. Lots of yellow though as well. David Dome has been encouraging Wellingtonians to wear yellow today and that certainly has happened too. But yeah, it does feel like a derby. You know, when you consider the Phoenix, there's only derbies up to now been distance derby's, which I mean, I don't even know if that's a thing you play Perth and that's a derby, I don't think. So this feels like one. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: The interesting part to me is how quickly this rivalry has come about. Like before the Auckland FC even kicked their first ball, there was a rivalry the Phoenix fans were passed off about it. This could only be good for the next though, can't It Doesn't the rivalry make football more enjoyable for the Yellow Fever fans?
Speaker 5: Absolutely absolutely it does, and you know the hype around it and the fandom and the rivalry and all of that stuff. Absolutely it does. What happens on the grass, there's going to be we hope anyway great, But yeah, this is a this is an occasion for the fans, I believe, the active support of Auckland FC, the port as they're known, and Yellow Fever who are well established obviously in New Zealand, you know, fans circles. It'll be such a great occasion. I mean the last two or the first two games for Auckland FC at Mount Smart have been absolutely terrific because of the fans in the steams. They've brought the energy and the hype of these occasions and that's what they've been and it'll be the same tomorrow at Sky Stadium. It'll be exactly the same. We're expecting kind of twenty twenty five thousand turn up, so big crowd, a lot of color, a lot of noise. I think it'll be terrific.
Speaker 4: Now, look, yes, that's all good in theory, pony, but let's be honest. The arrival of the Black Knights has ruffled some Phoenix feathers, hasn't it. And there's I think when you talk to maybe their support staff management, the fact they flew a plane over Mount Smart Stadium, say, New Zealand is yellow. What's what's really going in at Phoenix? Going on at Phoenix HQ.
Speaker 5: I think I think they're embracing it. Look, I think they yeah, look, there's that. You don't mind the band are going back and forth. It's normally the fans, but yeah, it seems as though some of the some of those employed in the in the plush mahogany offices the clubs have also got involved planes flying over and a bit of band to back and forth media releases with I think I think David Dome referred to Auckland as or to the to Auckland f C as Auckland three point zero, you know, obviously referencing the failed New Zealand Knights and Football Kings. You know, I think the only ones really who seem unaffected by it all of the players, you know, you talk to them about it and they're doing their best to downplay the occasion. I think they'll relish it. They all want to play in big games. This is a big game, yes, so I think the players are probably the ones who are who are least affected by it all. They just want to get out there and you played the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right about Auckland fans just want like the three point zero thing. I've talked to a few people who missed the Kings and the Nights Days and I couldn't I couldn't wrap my head around why there was such a big fandom for Auckland f C. Before they ever played a game. I couldn't understand it, and I think when I went to the game, I realized these are just football fans that wanted a local team to support, you know. So they already had their songs ready and it could have been about anything, but they just wanted a football team to get them behind. So I completely understand the fandom part of it. But what I don't understand is the x's and o's. I see that both at the top of the table. Pony, how do you see this one playing out on the field.
Speaker 5: I think it'll be pretty tight. You know, Auckland have been good. You know, two wins from two games. Can't do better than that. Haven't let a goal, and yet they haven't. You know, they've been good without being absolutely magnificent. You know, I think they'll need a bit more of a cutting edge. They're three goals, an own goal, are back from a center back in the ninety seventh minute, and Logan Rogerson's nice finish. So it's not as though they've really shit the world on fire in an attacking sense. Wellington are a good defensive team. I've quietly gone about their business. They probably should have won their first game they won, and Perth last weekend they probably should both have two from two. Look, I think you know, often with these things, guys, as you know, you hype them up, and you hype them up and you say, this's going to be a great occasion. I don't think this is going to be a four to three. I don't think it's going to be goal laden. It might just be decided by one moment of brilliance or perhaps an error. I think it'll be a pretty cagy affair. But what your hope is that is that you know there are storylines in the game which live up to what the occasion should be. I'm curious to see how Alex Paulson handles himself. We all know the story behind Alex Paulson, his departure from the Phoenix over the Bournemouth but now back to Auckland FC. So the fans that used to cheer and revere him will we'll be giving him a slightly different kind of reception tomorrow. But yeah, again, as I said before, I think these are the game that players want to be involved in. Big crowd, big occasion. Yeah, I hope it lives up to it, but I get to me, it might just be a one nill.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, Piney, there's two things, two factors I think really help. Apart from obviously the home crowd and the history that the Phoenix have got. I think their coach Chiefy Giancarlo and Taliano. I think he's a bit of a genius, that guy. And also they've got the senior pro and Costa Barbarusis who's playing with a freedom that I've never seen before. I mean he walks out on the field with his holding the hands of his daughters. I mean there's just how do you compete with that? That is just a guy who's like, yeah, it's a family day out and by the way, I'm going to play football for ninety minutes and then I'll be back with you guys. I mean, he to me is pure X factor at the moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we're hearing tomorrow that he might be joined by Marco Rojas, so we haven't seen yet this season. So a rohas barbarosis partnership is something to get the fans excited. But you're right about Costa. You know, a year or a couple of years ago, there was all this, There was a suggestion that you know, he might be on the way out, his career was coming to an end, and he might just sort of wander off into the sunset holding his daughter's hands and not be seen again. He's had, you know, something of a renaissance at the back end of his career back in the All Whites. Now determined to play at the World Cup in twenty twenty six, Wellington's best player last season and yeah, a real X factor guy. So yeah, Costa will be well and truly up of this one. And you wonder that to you whether you know the fact he's got so much else going on in his life. There's a couple of young daughters who don't care about the result really, they just want to hold their dad team and they walk out. You wonder whether the balance he's got in his life has actually been very positive for US football.
Speaker 1: If you were a betting man, Pony, how would you view this weekend's game?
Speaker 5: I think Wellington will win it narrowly. I think Wellington will win it one nil.
Speaker 4: Okay, oh, okay, pony, we're going to should we do a pony bitch a bit a pony hatch?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Poney hunts you out on one that it's good.
Speaker 1: We'll see if there's some spear change floating around in the ac z t air.
Speaker 3: Be account brilliant.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much for your time this morning, party and enjoy the game this weekend.
Speaker 5: Great to jet boys.
Speaker 2: Thanks as you've been listening to the ACC's Agender podcast, brought to you by Export Ultra. For more episodes, like and follow on iHeartRadio for William you get your podcasts