Speaker 1: Toyota.
Speaker 2: I'm Chelsea Daniels and this is a summer special of The Front Page. The Ends at Herald's daily news podcast. While The Front Page is on summer break, we're taking a look back at some of the biggest news stories and top rated episodes from the podcast in twenty twenty four. New episodes will return on January thirteenth. In twenty eleven, Herald on Sunday journalist David Fisher reported on what the paper dubbed the Facebook Predator, an adult woman who had been caught catfishing dozens of teenage boys in the South Island. She would be named as Natalia Burgers. Fisher covered the Burgess case for months before she eventually went to prison for two years as a result of her behavior. He thought that was the end of it until two years ago, an email at The Blue revealed that Burgess returned to her catfishing once she was free from prison. In the latest series of The Herald's true crime series, Chasing Ghosts, Fisher went back to re examine the case, see what he missed back in twenty eleven and trying to get Burgers to front up again on what she had done. You can Listen to half of the first episode of Chasing Ghosts the Puppeteer now and find the full series on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: This episode contains references to suicide. You can find the links in our show notes to support services. Let me start. In December twenty ten. It's Monday morning in Auckland, New Zealand's largest city, and a cluster of young people are waking to a nightmare. A young woman, Laura Jane West, has been killed overnight in a car crash. She was twenty, survived by a five year old daughter, Caylee. This was devastating news for Laura's family, but the shock the grief of losing.
Speaker 3: Laura went much further.
Speaker 1: Laura was bright, bubbly, vivacious, and like her sister's, very pretty and popular, particularly online. When it came to Facebook, Laura and her three sisters and their friends at times, were a swirling whirlwind of excitement to the first generation to truly embrace social media. Distance disappeared and they connected with people across the country. Laura, dead at twenty, was barely sixteen when she joined Facebook, and the years that followed she built friendships and even discovered love online. So when her sister Abby announced Laura's death on Facebook, the impact the grief they went far beyond her immediate family.
Speaker 4: The last night, at three am, Laura and May hopped into a car with a guy they trusted and know really well, who told them he was sober to stand out to be alive. He was five times over the limit. My party gole sister just wanted to forget and have a good night out. On the way home, the driver of the car chocked the corner at great speed and lost control of the car, heading into the lamp post rap be Begger.
Speaker 3: There have been tragedy enough in Laura West's family.
Speaker 1: Just weeks earlier, the sisters Rachel, Abby and Becker shared through Facebook that they had lost their dad. He was one of the twenty nine men killed when the Pike River mine on the West Coast exploded. And now Laura dead too. A young life cut short just when it was getting going. A daughter, Kaylee left without a mother. It's a tragedy in every sense of the word, and the Facebook post was filled quickly with tributes from those who counted her as a friend if they'd never met in real life.
Speaker 5: R p.
Speaker 3: Baby girl.
Speaker 6: You were there for me always when Amy passed, And fuck, I'm going to miss you like I do Amy every fricking day.
Speaker 5: I love you, Rest easy, little one, always missed, never far from my heart.
Speaker 6: Hey, my sirs, fucking miss you like crazy.
Speaker 1: Love you so much.
Speaker 6: Never going to forget you in my heart forever, Love you, bud.
Speaker 7: R P.
Speaker 3: Baby girl, I'm going to miss your big time.
Speaker 6: See my God, I can't believe this is true. I miss you, rest peace. Remember the time when I saw your face.
Speaker 3: I know you watch.
Speaker 6: And my heart goes out to you and weekle.
Speaker 1: Then there were those who learned more directly. In the South Island, in a small town not far from christ a grand mother called Bernie received a phone call when her teenage daughter Emma had started making friends online. Bernie had got on the phone to check them out, and that's how she came to know Laura and Abby, discovering through them a distant family connection. They called her Auntie when they called or connected on a messenger. Emma was the new founder cousin. So that day, December sixth, twenty ten, remains fixed in their memory for the impact it had when a broken, distraught Abby rang to break the news to Bernie.
Speaker 8: Abby rung Mum and are a mess. So Laura is dead and my mom was like, she was like, no, she had a car creation and she dead. They took it the ICU, but she didn't make it. Yeah, we got the message. If only I got a message or a phone call at the home saying she's dead. Your cousin's dead and no you know that sent both of us spiraling.
Speaker 1: It was a crushing blow for the mother and daughter, but especially for Emma. She had lost a friend, a close friend, to suicide just months earlier, and a friend who had died before that at a car crash that was very similar to that which killed Laura.
Speaker 8: That's what I went on a big bender because I yeah, no, I want a big bender. Then I broke my sobriety.
Speaker 9: We just sat there numb and grieving, and we were trying to help plan the funeral. We were we were like trying to make the trip up north apparently too, that's where it was happening.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Yeah, everything, oh nine yards just to get up there because I was made to carry the casket.
Speaker 3: All these years down the track.
Speaker 1: They can't shake the horror of losing so suddenly, such a bright spark of life and a thoughtless drink drive death early that Monday morning. For Sam Baker, who was dating Abby. He remembers the distress and wanting to console Laura's boyfriend.
Speaker 7: I heard from my friend and he was very very upset. He just read about it on Facebook. I think one of the sisters had gotten in contact with him, or it might have even been I don't know. I'm really scratching my fourteen year old memory here, but there may have been a mother Facebook page that was involved as well, that reached out to my friend and said that, yeah, very very sorry to tell you, but Laura's tragically passed away. You know, she loved you dearly. She wanted to build this big life with you and everything. It's really really sad, But feel free to keep in contact with us because you know, you're like family to us. Like my mate, he like he was going to buy a ring for her and stuff, like they were really really locked in. So when't he found the news. When I found the news out from him, you know, I went up to console him, but he was beside himself. It was really quite horrible.
Speaker 1: But there's a catch to the story, and that catch is that Laura never existed. Her daughter Kaylee didn't exist. There was no car, no car crash, there was no death at all. Abby didn't exist. None of the sisters existed. They were all characters created by one woman, a woman who joined in the Facebook grief posting with a heartfelt message that she knew wasn't true.
Speaker 6: At twenty you have not even lived yet, my sweet girl. Why is all I am asking?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 6: I'm getting into a car with a drunk ass driver? Is Wrongbabe? Rip Laura Jane West. You are going to be missed and loved.
Speaker 1: That post was written by Natalia Burgess. My name's David Fisher. I'm an investigative journalist with the New Zealand Herald. I first heard about Natalia a few months after this post went up, back in twenty eleven.
Speaker 3: I've written thousands of stories.
Speaker 1: Over thirty five years in journalism, thousands of lives that have touched mine and carried on into the future.
Speaker 3: In my life, come and go with the stories.
Speaker 1: They have to tell, and then there are those stories and people that come back.
Speaker 3: This is one of those stories.
Speaker 1: This is a story about Natalia Burgess, also known as Laura West or Amy West, or Kaylie rose Becka, Julienne, Abby William, Rachel Drent, and so many other names. There were so many false identities Natalia Burgess created online and infused with life.
Speaker 3: And histories and friendships.
Speaker 1: The problem with Natalia's fancy world was how damaging it became for those whose identity she used and for those.
Speaker 3: Who believed she was real.
Speaker 1: Hearts were broken, trust was betrayed, someone died, and Natalia went to prison. I never thought I'd be thinking of this case again, but here I am in twenty twenty four, thirty years after all this happened, and Natalia is back of my life. Back then, she called herself the puppeteer, and after all these years, she's still pulling all the strings, and I'm looking for a way to cut her loose. My journey with Natalia started in early twenty eleven. Back then, I was working as the chief reporter for the Herald on Sunday, a twenty two year veteran reporter and quite a bit more veteran now. It's easy to forget how much has changed in just thirteen years and how different technology was then.
Speaker 3: Let me take you back to that time.
Speaker 1: This was a time when MySpace and Bebo had just passed their use by days as the big players and online social media. Twitter hadn't really taken off in the mainstream, and Facebook was still young enough and still quirky enough that topic about its creation was a big player in Hollywood's Ward season that year. There was no zoom and Skype. Conversations were often about how I can see you, but I can't hear you all the other way around. We were only up to the iPhone four and the first generation iPad. The idea of smartphones as an everyday part of life had yet to be embedded in the mainstream. The Internet and social media may have started to infiltrate our lives, but not in the all consuming way they do now. The reason all this matters is the herold On Sunday, where I worked, was a startup. People had said it was crazy to launch a newspaper when the whole news industry was going to shift online. But it worked, and one reason for that was we worked harder and smarter, finding every advantage that we could. One of those things we got really good at very early in the piece was mining these new social media sites like Facebook, for information about the people using it and the connections they had. That meant when the Press newspaper in christ Church reported that a woman was using false Facebook identities to scam teenage boys, I was perfectly placed to dig below the surface. It took a week to identify in Natali Burgess as that woman. It was a week of building evidence in developing sources to the point where we could name her and run her photograph on the front page of the next edition. Over a year, Burgess used her multiple online personalities to form Internet relationships with dozens of teenage boys and men across the country. Almost forty boys at Saint Thomas, at Canterbury School and christ Church were caught up.
Speaker 3: Along with dozens of others. Many believed they were.
Speaker 1: In relationships with attractive girls their own age. She would arrange to pay for some to have their mobile phones topped up with credit and they would spend hours through the night talking to her. I'd later learn that Natali was not just focused on one school. There were dozens of young people and adults around the country that fell into her orbit. One of those people was Sam Baker. He heard earlier talking of his shock over Laura's death. He was just thirteen when drawn into Natalia's world, all the way from tiny Murchison, near the top of New Zealand and South Island. It was once a gold mining town. Now it's sought after for whitewater adventure sports, and it is a tiny town. The last census put the population at fewer than five hundred people. Small as it was, the incident made Sam's world feel so much bigger, and that's how he got mixed up in this.
Speaker 7: I was up visiting a friend of mine who was speaking to a girl that he'd been talking to quite a while over online, and from what I was under the impression of they were in an online relationship. At the time, I just assumed that he had known who previously and they were just communicating on an online platform. But I didn't really that didn't occur to me to press any do that. I was thirteen at the time and he was a good friend of mine, so I just thought really nothing of it. Bear in mind, when I was thirty, he was sixteen. I'm from a small town, so people from veering age groups just tend to hang out with each other, I guess. But anyway, I was talking to this girl who name happened to be Laura, and I started yearning to all I was up to seeing my mate and we just I don't know. I just said, hey, hey, you gn you're good. Thanks. She asked me what my name was, asked what her name was? Asked her, you know how long they guys have been friends talking to each other? She said maybe like a year or so. And he's like, yeah, I met her online. Can we get along?
Speaker 8: Great?
Speaker 7: It was, that's pretty cool, sweet as thought nothing of it. He ended the call. We played a few games of Xbox, as you do when you're thirteen years old, and then I Sweet Home and Sweet Home for dinner, and then to do homework and stuff. But anyway, I log into my Facebook and I noticed that I have a free request from a random girl who name. The full name eludes me nowadays, but it was Rachel. I think her name was Rachel. And I accepted it and messaged her. I was like, hello, who are you? It was a bit more colorful and that I was like hello, who are you? She's like, hello, my name is Rachel. I believe you were talking to my sister earlier and Laura. I was listening to the conversation, and I thought you had a cute voice. I was wondering, would you begin to, I don't know, develop her friendship? And I was like, okay, cool. Bearing in mind, I was thirteen years old in a town of five hundred people. In my school, there were one hundred and twenty kids in my classroom. I would have been probably year seven, year eight at the time, out of thirty of us. I think they were three girls, So to be getting this sort of female attention, I didn't really think twice about it. I just thought, oh my god, there's a very attractive girl heading me up.
Speaker 1: Natalia knew who had targeted demographic well. Her primary false personality was a young woman called Laura West. Laura entered Facebook age sixteen, at that time that Tari was.
Speaker 3: Around twenty six.
Speaker 1: Laura West was pretty with a bright and engaging smile. She also seemed to be very popular where she went on Facebook, she traveled with an engaging social circle.
Speaker 3: Who liked Laura were.
Speaker 1: Young and attractive women, and it seemed that they, like any teenager, were trying to work out how they fitted into the world and with others their own age.
Speaker 3: So many came under their spell.
Speaker 1: One of those boys was Ethan Williams, whose story is pretty similar to Sam's. He was a few years older, around fifteen when he first met Laura, and he too was a small town boy raised in Montweka and Nelson, the same general area where Sam lives.
Speaker 5: So I think initially I met a girl called Laura online, and I think this is probably in the early days of Facebook or kind of towards the tail end of the old Bebo social network when that existed, and it was just one of those kind of random ads on Facebook. She haded me, and I thought, yeah, oh why not, you know, but there were there were about three or four different people that you know, that were family of this this Laura West that her last name was West.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: That added me as well. And I didn't want much of it. And I guess as I probably said to you, well, I wouldn't have set you at the time, but as I said, just a moment ago, being quite a naive Asia, I didn't think much of it. And I think also because catfishing wasn't particularly a well known phenomenon back then, it wasn't something that ever crossed my mind.
Speaker 3: Can you tell me how Laura presented herself.
Speaker 1: I mean, who did you think you were communicating with online?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I so it's a very good question. Let me let me think about an answer. She presented as kind of an attractive I think she was seventeen eighteen or something around that sort of age, kind of a little bit older than me, but you know, quite an attractive young woman. You know, short blonde here and someone that I thought, you know, she's she's quite attractive. I'll talk to her if she's going to talk to me. And yeah, that's kind of word snowballs. I suppose.
Speaker 1: Ethan was fifteen when he started talking to Natalia, or as he knew her, Laura West, and Sam was just thirteen when he started dating her sister, Rachel. This was in twenty ten. At this time, Natalia been twenty six years old, is literally twice the age of Sam. I remember being told once that the guide for age suitability is to take your age, split it in two, add seven, and the results at the youngest end of the sliding scale that you should be on. You've probably heard something similar. It's one of those unwritten rules of humanity. We all just seem to know by that measure. Natalia shouldn't be talking to anyone younger than twenty, or at least not in the way she spoke with Sam and others his age. But there's really only one equation that matters here, and that is back in twenty ten, Sam is a child and Natalia as an adult. And another thing to think on is that Sam had no idea the girl who contacted him online was twice his age. The voice he heard, the photographs he saw were of a teenage girl, while Laura West herself didn't exist. The photos belonged to a real person. The photographs Natalia used wherever real woman could not. This was someone Natalia did not know, but as Ethan says, she knew the effect she could have with the photographs.
Speaker 3: She had chosen.
Speaker 1: Those boys at Saint Thomas and Canterbury, Sam, Ethan, their friends, none of them.
Speaker 3: Stood a chance.
Speaker 1: At the age of thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, and some a few years older. They were confronted with bright, vivacious Laura and a coterie of friends who were intent on forming bonds and exploring relationships. By the time I came along, Natalia's online personas were well advanced, brought to life with other stolen photographs taken from other people's social media pages. Those characters were so well advanced that they had time to form relationships, speak of love, contemplate marriage, and all those other things teenagers do when they first fall head over heels. Each of her characters was fully realized. Along with photographs harvested online, Natalia had given them family connections and personalities, breathing life and credibility into every false persona. With some of them, she created family. Laura's sisters, as we've heard, were Rachel, Becker and Abby.
Speaker 3: It wasn't all playing out online either. As Natalia's characters formed online friendships with schoolboys, she worked to take it to the real world.
Speaker 7: I think I had the first voice called with her, maybe like a week into the relationship, and it was weird. It was I don't know how she pulled it off. Thinking back, I spoke to her Laura, and there was another sister. I can't remember her name, but she was a blonde girl and she worked at Pack and Save. And I had a freeway chat with all three these girls, and they told me how much of the nice boy I think I am, and how I'm going to be so perfect for the sister and they asked me like, will you be my sister's boyfriend? Like these two girls asked on her behalf like I've taken into the back room so that they can give them the fifth degree, and I was just like, yeah, all right, sweet, let's do it.
Speaker 3: There were phone calls and long conversations.
Speaker 1: Evidence emerged of Natalia paying to top up phones so she could speak for longer as Laura or Abby or Becka or any of the other identities she manufactured, and even occasionally as herself as the real Natalia Burgess in the shadow cast by her younger, glamorous friends. As I said earlier, Natalia wasn't a teenager when she was talking with all these kids, and it kind of reminds me of Hollywood's tendency to cast old when casting teenagers like Greece or nine O two and oer will Glee. Every generation has some example of a grown adult playing young, and Natalia was bringing that fantasy to life in her own way. This was real life, though, and not a Hollywood set. As I dug deeper, there was seriously disturbing aspects to her interaction with those she met online as she built her fictional world and populated it. She started to develop it with whatever came to hand. Natalia even attached real life people to false personas. After the Pike Rivermind disaster, Laura West posted a memorial message with a photograph of one of the miners who was killed.
Speaker 4: I miss you and I will never stop loving you, Rip Daddy.
Speaker 3: It's one part of the story that Sam Baker remembers all too well.
Speaker 7: I grew up in Murchison. The tracity happened, I believe in Greymouth. So Murchison and Greymouth for about two hours from each other. And what happened was is I remember there was a whole lot of light. This is way before crowdfunding and go fund me were a thing. People used to sort of reach out for donations and help y Facebook pages and groups, and there was a Facebook page called the Pipe Rivermind twenty nine and it was people that could come together that were affected by the tragedy, that could share photos and memories and maybe like people that had a bit of money they wanted to donate to a family that had been displaced because their father a peerish they could you know, put down their bank account details and receive donations. Laura started fabricating, making these big giant like Facebook murals, I guess, like with this Paul Bloke's photo, and then like the name up and lights, and then the born day, the death day, and then like your kids miss you dearly, we love you daddy, like from Laura, from Rachel, from the other daughter and stuff. It just all looked very very legit, very polished. And then she had people from the community who they had lost family members and the mind tragedy that were like getting behind her, like, oh my god, we feel so bad for you. You know who can help you out? And then I believe she may have been putting down a bank account and receiving donations from these people as a like, I don't know, contribute into helping her get back on her feet because she just lost her dad.
Speaker 3: That feels pretty cold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but at the time, what did you make of it?
Speaker 3: Because this was the girl that you were dating, This was her sister, Rachel.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so I was dating Laura's sister Rachel. So at the time I felt horrible for them. It was like, you, poor girl, that's horrible. So yeah, So to get the time frame together, the Pipe River disaster happen and then Laura died in the car crash. So between Laura between the Pike River and Laura dying in the car crash quotation marks I felt absolutely horrible for these poor girls.
Speaker 1: It wasn't the only time Natalia created false links to a high profile death. When christ Church woman Emma Agney was murdered, Natalia even went as far as setting up a memorial page in her personas, linking people she had invented to people she had never met. In the relationships she was forming, they were becoming increasingly serious. Sam and Ethan were far from the only ones caught up in this. There were dozens of teenage boys who believed they were in a romantic relationship with one of Natalia's personas, and each one was smitten. Some thought they'd found the love of their life, and when that was taken away, the consequences were devastating.
Speaker 2: You've just heard the first half of episode one of Chasing Ghosts the Puppeteer. You can listen to the full episode and the rest of the series on iHeartRadio or wherever you get your podcasts.