Speaker 1: Live from the Export Bear Garden Studios. You're listening to the BYC with just one more sleep before the start of the Test series against the English. For all the Test loving fans out there, we need to lock in all fifteen days and let our respective partners and loved ones know we will be unavailable during that time, because that's it for the summer. The rest is a hefty diart of t twenties and one days. So personally, I'll be tuning into the Test series being played across the Tesman with the Indians off to a flying start and handing the Aussies are hiding, which by extension must make us the greatest Test nation in the world at present. Ghido Fellas, how we going?
Speaker 2: Dylan Kleaver, I'm baddy good. I'm excited. I love this time of year.
Speaker 1: Yes, lovely, isn't it. It's got this sort of crickety Christmas e summary flag work kind of vibes about it.
Speaker 2: I'm both edgy at the prospect of a Test series and yet the sun's starting to shine, you know, the lawns are starting to be cut. Everything feels just a little bit more optimistic and glass half forward the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear what you're saying, man, and I tell you what, Paul Ford, I'm always a big fan of the English coming over it to aways a popular tour. So these three tests we're going to be locked and loaded and ready to go.
Speaker 3: Yes and lovely to have three tests, Yes punishing two tests series. Thank you England for dagning, for for coming to us on this one one occasion at least.
Speaker 1: I just want to make an apology for last week, by the way, and the system's mountdown. That cut it short.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in your absence, Jason, things felt a bit, well a little bit.
Speaker 1: You see, what people don't know about this is that I'm in charge of the technical side of things and when I'm not here it all turns to shit. But let's focus instead on this upcoming series, Joe Route, I mean, hello, far it up? Then why don't you Winning the Ashes in Australia would mean more than anything? Dylan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the headline in the Guardian on the eve of a three test series against New Zealand, and I just thought, yeah, you'd appreciate this, Jason. Being a student of history, it will be meaningless of Paul. But it took me way back to eighteen twelve. Sure, and Napoleon's obsession with Moscow, okay, and he got there and he found that it was empty and it was on fire. Meanwhile it had his ass handed to him and Pollots and Tarantino. So New Zealand are going to have to be the Cossacks. They're going to have to play that role and take down these arrogant English that are already thinking ahead to the MCG and the SCG and defeat them on the fields of Hagley, defeat them at the Basin, and defeat them on the fields of Sedven.
Speaker 1: Needley's a nice point, Dylan, need I say, Paul Forward that the English maybe have a little look at what happened to the Indians. They were thinking about the future and playing Australia. In Australia three zip, it was three zip. And so now after hearing those comments, nothing short of three now will suffice for New Zealand v England. And there's always been a situation too, I mean we've always as New Zealand as there's been this sort of concept that the English are arrogant, that they do look down their noses at us. Is that fair? Come on?
Speaker 3: I think it is fair. It's certainly something that we should get fired up about, even if it's not fair, and it might not be quite everything may not be what it seems here in this Guardian piece. First of all, please that he didn't ask me too many more questions about the French occupation of Moscow in the Battle of Borodino, which Dylan seems to be obsessed with. But anyway, here we are. Look, I think the point about those the Joe Root comments, to be fair to him, is that he said some nice things about New Zealand in that article to Donald McCrae. I think it was in the Guardian.
Speaker 4: Didn't make the headline. They did, it just.
Speaker 3: Didn't make the headline. Well, that's right, that's right. It's hard to blame him. It's hard to blame him for that, and he did even he even said poignant things about Graham Thorpe and how he was a poor bearer at his funeral and Graham Thorpe had done all this wonderful stuff for him. Of course, the Thorpe Crow Trophy or whatever it is that we're playing for in this series. Yes, a connection there, But yeah, look, I think this is that point. If England are distracted by all sorts of things, including the ashes, which are what a year away, thirteen months away? I'm all for it. Sounds great to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, man, totally, just on that front. In terms of looking at the weather conditions across the Test match, they're pretty good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and seasonably warm tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty eight degrees.
Speaker 4: That would send some of the cants mad, won't it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, hot northwester Is that what it is the wind that sends them all crazy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Crazy? Yeah?
Speaker 3: The next go read is that what you're saying, Dylan?
Speaker 4: Sorry I missed that, Paul Was that the.
Speaker 3: Next go read? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 4: Well, I wouldn't have put it quite like that.
Speaker 1: A well. Funnily enough, my one of my girls had just moved to Melbourne. It was thirty four degrees yesterday and she said, shit, what was the thinking. It's just insanity. It's going to be a green wicket. We know that much. And there's a little bit of a what's that there on the pitch there, Paul Ford, You've got a bit of a bit of a conversation with someone there. Oh, William Nichols.
Speaker 2: Willie Nicholas, Willie Nichols sent me a little note that's saying it will be green, but perhaps not as green as usual.
Speaker 3: Right, okay, so more lime green rather than emerald green.
Speaker 1: Do you think.
Speaker 4: You're not verdant green?
Speaker 2: I'd still say it's pretty much a win the toss bowl first.
Speaker 4: First.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, let's get into the let's get I've got some stats beyond that, Jay Steve, I'm sure you do.
Speaker 3: Christa. I look back to twenty fourteen at Hagley, team bowling in the first innings has won sixty two percent of the games, eight out of thirteen. The average score is two hundred and eighty nine off eighty over. So if you get the second new ball at Hagley, you're betting very very well. If you crack three hundred, you're betting very very well. So a couple of indicators there.
Speaker 1: Now let's look at the playing eleven fellows, and there's some interesting things to discuss here. My little bud bear. Of course, Will Young the perpetual loser in these sort of scenarios, even after he performs well, But is it an official.
Speaker 4: Ar No, Will Young things not. But we do have a little bit of audio.
Speaker 2: I believe that makes one of the contentious selections official, so we'll just have quick listen to that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Nathan will make his debut, which is obviously exciting for I think someone that's played on the first class cricket recently has obviously been successful obviously both in all formats, but yeah, someone that's deserves his opportunity over a period of time and really exciting challenge for him, which is going to be in a great series as Yes, we're looking forward to tigging them behind him.
Speaker 1: I tell you what, Nathan Smith, he's a Wellington, Wellington born of our player.
Speaker 2: No Wellington domiciled now, but he's straight out of Blue and Gold Country down south.
Speaker 1: I thought he was playing for Wellington.
Speaker 4: He does play for them now, Yes, yeah, it's planted.
Speaker 3: Turn that off, why, techie boys.
Speaker 1: I tell you what, I'm always excited by the debut of a new player. What are your thoughts on that, Paul Ford?
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I'm excited. I think it was, I guess, a straight decision once the decision was made to go with four seamers, which seemed all but inevitable. Despite your protestations, Jase, it was really just a straight swap. The only argument was really between or a straight decision really between Nathan Smith from Amadu, North Otago and Worcestershire fifty three first class matches, one hundred and forty wickets, twenty six year old versus Jacob Duffy of Lumsdon one hundred first class matches, three hundred wickets and a thirty year old can't really bat has had a stint at Nottinghamshire. I think they've gone for the batting insurance. I think they've gone for the future. This is a guy that picked up a national contract in September. No international experience, a pretty good indicator that he was going to get a shot. He's on the recorders loving the long format. He's had a couple of stellar seasons in the planket shield, with one in between where he's out with back surgery, which makes me feel a bit nervous for him. You know, he's going to be fantastic. There was a lovely yarn about him. I think Brendan Egan wrote it, but they talked to his brother, and his brother first of all gave up. His nickname is not Jason's Bugbear, but Mighty Mouse. He was a very small kid, famously bowling bounces and hawk cut games at men aged fifteen. So yeah, he called him a great little quote called him an aggressive little bastard. I mean that is his brother, but still great intel from the around the family table.
Speaker 1: That sounds great to me. Let's go true probable eleven there, Dylan Latham of course, Conway Williamson, Revenger, Mitchell, blundele Phillips, Smith, Henry tim sal the willow' rourke. Any issues with that oka not.
Speaker 4: So much issues.
Speaker 2: I think once they decided to go for seamers, I don't necessarily agree with that move on a green wicket. Yes, we saw them do it last season in Scott Koglin barely bold and over in the second innings.
Speaker 4: I think you can get away with it.
Speaker 1: Wasn't great though, to be fair, No, I think.
Speaker 2: You can get away with three if you have got that pace bowling all round it. And they clearly don't consider Mitchell being able to fulfill that Colinder Grondholm type role, so there they therefore they feel compelled to be for seemers. I am excited to see Nathan Smith. I do think the batting got ahead of Duffy and also just athleticism apparently he's magnificent in the field. He can create wickets out of nothing in terms of runouts, and so I do think that's a great selection. I do think it's a nod to the future. So then you get the problem is how do you shoehorn the player of the.
Speaker 4: Series in India? And can I read this from stuff?
Speaker 2: And it says as in regards to the Will Young decision, it feels like bad news looms for Will Young. The Blackcaps batter was the player of the series and the stunning three nil series sweep of India last month, but it's difficult to see him getting a start in the first Test of the home summer. That seems like a remarkable statement given how good he was in India. But it underlines the batting depth at gary At coach Gary Stead and captain Tom Latham's disposal. And I don't actually have a fundamental problem with the decision. You just can't fit that many players into a team. But it does not underline the batting strength of gary At, coach Gary Stead and captain Tom Lathan's disposal. And I will give you the reason why you've got Tom Latham, who in twenty twenty four is averaging twenty five point sixty six. You've got Devin Conway in twenty twenty four who's averaging twenty.
Speaker 4: Six twenty six flat.
Speaker 2: You've got Darryl Mitchell who in twenty twenty four is averaging twenty eight. You've got Tom Blundell in twenty twenty four who's averaging sixteen point eighty six, and you've got Glenn Phillips in twenty twenty four who's averaging twenty nine. So it's utter horse crap to suggest that they've got this amazing, you know, well spring of batting depth to cool on. That's five of the top seven who are averaging less than thirty in a calendar year full of test cricket.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and your next cabs off the rank from the contract to playlist are Henry Nichols and Mark Chapman.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not batting death. It's just a choice they've made. And I do kind of understand why it has to be Will Young that misses out because he's not an opener and Latham's captain, so he's not going to miss out. Conway has shown signs of life there, so that's all right, You're not going to drop Avenger and Mitchell who have been critical to New Zealand success recently, and Phillip's up as you're a bit of Offsmanane Williamson. Yes, and you're not going to drop Williamson clearly, So okay, Well, I can understand Will Young missing out.
Speaker 4: This idea that he's missing.
Speaker 2: Out because we've got this incredible strength and depth is just absolute nonsense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with that. And I was going to suggest something that that I know both of you are going to mock me relentlessly for.
Speaker 3: But I mean, here we go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Benny Lister coming in at four. No, I was going to say, well, maybe well Young for Mitchell.
Speaker 4: No, I didn't know that's rubbish.
Speaker 1: I see, I knew you were gonna say that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I mean Mitchell has been a match winner for New Zealand pretty recently and I think he needs to get the home series you'll.
Speaker 3: Have recently as well. Young though, let's be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true, but although he did play a critical role with alongside will Young and.
Speaker 1: That third Test and one of them.
Speaker 2: Yes, here's something that you guys now can mock me for. My idea is that you drop Blundle, who's just a walking wicket and you give the gloves to Tom Latham. But would that require a reshuffle in this as I'm arguing with myself. Yet reshuffling they don't.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree with that, but listen, Paul, just so, I just want to take up Dylan's point of the four seamers because I think it's a good one. You know, I'm looking at that weather forecast belting down for five days, I mean spinners, because let's not forget we're dropping all our spinners as per usual because we're at home after they've performed magnificently. What's your view on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's an interesting one. And yeah, what what was it against Australia? What it's got Google line Bowl? Against Australia it was basically nine overs or something crazy like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he got two in his first spell in the basin I recall, and that was pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yet I think you bolt six overs in the first innings against Australia and Hagley, yes, you know, in green conditions, mind you, Matt Henry went through Australia.
Speaker 4: Was that that ending to the second anyway?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I mean, and I guess this is the thing, you know in England. We'll talk about their team in a minute, but yeah, they've definitely gone with a front line spinner. But maybe we're just considering that Phillips is a front line spinner now not really a batsman, so he's playing as that kind of bowling all round her. So yeah, I mean there's a little bit of insurance there, Jason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, I guess, I guess that Phillips does nudge out Santana, though I would say that Satana's begin beginning to show a little bit of form with the bat. He's not even in the squad, not.
Speaker 2: For this first Test, right for the second two. And to be fair of the selectors, Hagley is the one ground that's all seems to refuse to give up any turn. So okay, so they're probably justified there and thinking about Revendra and Phillips's guys that can bowl a few overs to get through to the second new ball if needed, But they're not going to be I think they'll probably find it hard to envisage the scenario where they're going to be frontline bowlers expected to take wickets.
Speaker 4: One concerned.
Speaker 2: I do have to as an extige on your point, though, Jason, there's four right arm seemers.
Speaker 4: Yes, at around the same one, three, five to one, four to two.
Speaker 1: What is smith Bowl? Does anyone know that he's like mid one thirties, isn't he?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 3: Late one thirties maybe occasionally.
Speaker 1: Let's look at the English because I've named there eleven Zach Crawley been duck at Jacob Beth l Joe wrote, Harry Brook, Ollie Pope, Ben Stokes, Chris Wokes, Gus Atkinson, Brian and Carson Shower. The sheer thoughts pull forward.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess the interesting maneuver there has been forced upon them, which is Jordan Cock the Flaming Ranger wicket keeper has gone down after some over vigorous throwdowns from none other than Wellington's Jet and Patel. He's gone down with a fractured right thumb. So you've got they're in a bit of disarray, which they probably love because I feel like it plays to McCullum's strengths of doing some random shit. So, OLLI, Pope's taking.
Speaker 4: The gloves another Flaming Ranger.
Speaker 3: He's drop dropping down the order to number six, and I think there'll be a new wicket keeper who is Olli Robinson, but not the fat fast bowler, a different Oli Robinson who's on his way out to New Zealand but won't be here in time. Ben Folks still on the outer, doesn't score runs fast enough as a wicket keeper. Johnny Bestow it seems like everybody hates him. And so the new guy that's come in is the prodigy Jacob Bethel. Maybe we talk about a little bit more about him shortly, but yeah, I guess England got show up a share in there as the off spinner scene. Attack of Wokes, who I'm sure will enjoy the conditions are really predictable top order, and a couple of other right arm fast bowlers that we haven't seen much of, Atkinson and Bright and Cars who were both pretty swift, but yeah, if their runs will come. I'm scared maybe of Ben Duckett. I think he could enjoy enjoy Hackley belting force.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm scared of I'm scared of two or three players, but I think they're there for the taking.
Speaker 4: I'm scared of Joe Route, who just gorged.
Speaker 1: Joe his one hundred and fifty tests. I believe ye.
Speaker 2: Warming up for the action as Paul mentioned Ben Duckett. If he gets going, he can take a game away from you in a session. And I do like the look of this Gus Atkinson. I think he's got a bit about him and he could be that kind of awkward guy that one can Williamson doesn't like enjoy very much with that just sort of short of a length on or off around.
Speaker 4: Off decent pace I can see.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, I have visions of early edge off the gray nickels into that slip Cordon.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean you know you've got are and he hasn't been playing a lot of credit. So I just want to get your guys feeling in terms of you know, because I'm thinking back to what Joe Roots said, and I do wonder if there is an element that the English are viewing this test series against US as a kind of warm up preparation for future future games. I mean, I mean, I'm sure they would deny that was the case, but how do you feel I.
Speaker 3: Think they are very much. I mean literally, Joe Root's talking about it as a barometer of where they're at, having lost in Pakistan and ahead of playing India and then Australia, Like that's literally what they're saying, so, yeah, I think I think that absolutely is one hundred percent on their minds. It's bloody annoying, Okay.
Speaker 2: And they wouldn't take punts like they're taking now against Australia, would they. They wouldn't have a guy who has a sum total of five first class fifties batting number three.
Speaker 4: Yes, in the first day of Ashiest. He's surely they wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Do you like the look of him, Jason, No, So he's just flown and he's just flowing in from the West Indies. He's he's going to be bloody tired. I feel kind of I don't feel so for him, but it's pretty extraordinary. Not only has he got no first class tons, he's never scored a professional hundred at any level. He's never played at number three. It's quite kind of mad, but yeah, he's a he has a prodigy. Sold for half a million dollars in the IBL This week. Ian Bells called him the best seventeen year old he's ever seen. Brian Lara saw him when he was eleven because he's from Barbados and said he was much better than himself at that age and his family friends with Garfield sobers. So, I mean he's got connections.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the thing is, what's what? What has he got to lose? You know, it's not like he's a dignity well yeah, but I mean he might have a soft stump, but he's still a young fellow to be you know, be good to go. Now, who's going to win? Dylan? This first Test match? Let's just talk on the first t match?
Speaker 4: Can I slightly sit on the fence here?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, I think it's a two wins to toss wins this first Test I already do.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, that's fair, Paul, No, I reckon.
Speaker 3: I think New Zealand. I think Matt Henry destroys them in this game. That's what that's my vibe. New Zealand wins ye day four.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good because I'm commentating on day five. Um No, that's a joke. I think I'm on day four. Yeah. Because Matt Henry, Yeah, in those conditions, he loves it there, didn't he He's had a couple of stealing games at Hagley Oval.
Speaker 2: And he's nicely primed. Yes, I think he didn't play all three in India, did he? So he had he had an injury in the last one. He had a break fear and he's come back. I think he might have had one game for the Cantabs in the Plunket Shield. So yeah, Henry will be dangerous.
Speaker 4: I'm a little concerned.
Speaker 2: I mean, Nathan Smith, we know enough about him to make value judgments about what we can expect from him in terms of his output in this test. I mean, he's a guy that's going to be good for the future, but we just don't know enough about him to be confident run through England. I'm a little bit worried that Tim Soudy paid for Indy the other day and kept up his tradition as of late by taking one wicket in each innings. So yeah, it feels I mean, I would hate to see this turn into a bit of a damp squib of a farewell yes series for him, and.
Speaker 1: Let's not forget our mate, where's he gone here? Will O Rock of course looking forward to seeing him against the English. That's going to be a doozy well just on that Fellows in terms of who's going to win, et cetera, et cetera. I believe you've got a tab hunch for us pull forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I absolutely do. And we're not really pushing the boat out too far here, barring what Dylan Cleaver just said about him. But we've got Cane Williamson for at Ford dollars twenty to be New Zealand's top scorer in the first innings, so massive thanks to the tab that's one hundred dollars and we'll get three hundred and twenty bucks back for that fellas.
Speaker 1: Great stuff mate. Now listen, we're going to take a short break and be back to discuss the current series Ossie v. India. Welcome back to the b YC. So obviously Australia versus India going on at the moment. Don't know about you, fellers. I've been saying this for a long time. I love my Test cricket in Australia. What a Test match. And I was saying to Dylan Cleaver before we started this podcast, Paul Ford Boomra to me is just clearly the best bowler in the world at the moment. But I also said to me at times he bowls spells that are simply unplayable that I don't know how as a batsman you get through those spells. But let's start with you, Dylan, your thoughts on the first Test match there?
Speaker 4: First of all, what a beautiful time zone?
Speaker 1: How good is it?
Speaker 2: Perth just slots into my day, just absolutely wonderfully. Yes, So I barely missed a ball of this Test and I was amazed. That's how a flat Australia looked, even given that they ran through India on that first day pretty quickly for one fifty year And you probably thought it was a continuation of India's form against New Zealand, yes, and that this could be a disappointing series. But from that moment on, Wow, I mean Boomera was the key figure, wasn't he that that o'tening spell? When Australia were dismissed for one O four had Steve Smith on toast first ball, he had Manus love A Shane should have been caught a slip but was dropped, but he had him on toast. I think with Saraja ended up getting love A Shane in that first innings.
Speaker 4: But Boomera was just irresistible. And then they had this this young fellow, Yeah, came on hash it and he was full.
Speaker 1: Of fem and vigor.
Speaker 4: Fem and vigor.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a good way of putting it. And he was right up the Aussies as well, and they just looked like they didn't have anything to fly back with.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was really impressed with that young fellow too, because I did suspect Paul when he came on. I thought, oh that, you know, is it going to loosen up a little bit because Larva Shane at that point was all over the shop. He didn't even look like getting a run. But yeah, he impressed me. Boomra just utterly magnificent. I was struck too. Lava Shane just looks dreadful and I think his run over the last wee while it's been pretty piss poor as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, takeing out the ninety against New Zealand and he is in a world of pain.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, that two off fifty two was extraordinary and it should have been. It should have been back long before that too, with that weird slow motion drop catch from Kali. I love that Labashane has been. Just before the Test match was saying how he was watching Pajara videos, which I thought was hilarious. That said he averages seventy odd in Adelaide, so he could come right. But gee, he looks like he's coming from a hell of a long way back, you know, low on confidence with his batting, bowling, an absolute pile of shit with his bowling. Some of the things that kind of caught caught my eye. I guess the bombra chat like he was as I agree with you guys, one hundred percent unbelievable, you know, exhilarating spell. He looked like he's getting so much joy. Made some great captaincy decisions. I loved how he didn't really bring himself back to bowl to sort of try and take as many wickets as possible in the second innings, just kept himself fresh. I thought that was really really smart. So yeah, I thought I thought he captain brilliantly and as bowling was even better. But some of the hero worship from the Australian commentators around him just has a little bit of an edge, a little bit of dog whistling about it. Actions, his action. You know, he's really zeroing in on the hyper extension point. They just can't help themselves. And ironically, I think some of the criticism that the Australian team has copped is that they've been too nice and.
Speaker 1: That this you know we've been there before, but have been too nice. That's what they're losing.
Speaker 3: And they've literally won basically every single competition in world cricket over the last few years. But suddenly they lose one Test match and you have a bunch of players and commentators and observers who say, I reckon, they need to go back to being a bit meaner. And I just thought that was hilarious Jays While yes, absolutely magnificent that ramp shot over long leg to bring up one hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, brilliant.
Speaker 3: Waiting for that sex unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I mean, the world is this kid's oyster? How good is he? And one extraordinary life story as well that he's that he's had.
Speaker 4: And didn't the commentators go to town.
Speaker 3: Chat.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the commentators, I can't do Warner, I just can't do it. I'm sorry, I can't.
Speaker 3: It must really really great. Imagine if you're Nathan mixed Meena. I'm not suggesting he would watch this, but you're Nathan mcsweeny going out to bat and David Warner is talking incessantly for an hour before, then during, and then an hour after play about what you should have done. I just it must be just such a balllake having to sit through that, but yeah, he's atrocious.
Speaker 1: Next Sweeny of course making his debut. I think he's skippered than the Australian A side was twenty six and he must be thinking, oh, of all the teams in the world to come up with in my first Test match. I mean I look at both of his lbw's and this is what I was talking to Dylan about and go, I don't know, I don't know what you do about that if you're no, but yeah he's not, and you go, well, do you bat out of your christy what? Because he moves it both ways at pace. I mean he must have just gone, oh, well.
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 2: The first one was quite like he scraped together what ten rounds or something like that, and he you could kind of give him a pass mark. But the second dig was just mean, yeah, declaring well for twenty minutes to go. The shadows had all fallen across the pitch. Boomer was charged up and I suspected it was not going to go well for him.
Speaker 3: And Kwaja helpfully going to the non strikers. They had a conversation about that too, didn't they wear you know he said, Kwaja said I'll go take the first ball and mixed when he said no, no, I'm going to do it. And it's like I think it was Michael Vaughan was saying, you don't have that conversation. If you're Kwaja, just get out there and take guard. Don't tell them, just tell them, don't there's no conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, just and I think you know, Travis Head of course had a bit of a belt in the second innings there as his want. But I found all of the Australian batsmen lacking. There was not one of them. I was going, oh, yeah, they're in good touch. I mean even the opener who were just talking about cold didn't look in particularly good. Nick Smith, what did he get seventeen or something on the second innings.
Speaker 4: And he didn't look okash in that second inning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, their top fourth scored forty four runs in that Test match.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so not good, which sets it up nicely for the second Test, Dylan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, second Test. They go back to the scene of the crime, the pink ball Test in Adelaide, where India were dismissed for thirty six Yes, last time around Australia. I think Paul correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think Australia have got a pretty formidable record in home pink ball tests. Guys, I think Josh Hazel would have been unplayable in the past. I don't know what it is about it, but you know, perhaps it's just suits their style of bowling. Hit that hit the deck hard, the lacquer on the pink ball maybe lasts a little bit longer. I'm not sure what it is, but they're pretty formidable. But there's one interesting point I think we should make before we go into the sick In Test, and that we mentioned it briefly, but Wooman's captain c was not only excellent in terms of decision making, and let's face it's easy to make decisions which things going your way, but just the way the whole team looked as if there was a bit of a weight off their shoulders compared to how they looked in that home series against New Zealand.
Speaker 4: They all looked up for it. They all looked positive.
Speaker 2: They all looked when they made mistakes in the field, and they did, they didn't look like the world was coming crashing down on them. They just got on with that, and I thought, I thought it's really interesting now with Rowt Sharma coming back, who's a much more patrician type yes on the field, or whether they might have to have a word to him and say, hey, look you.
Speaker 4: Lighten up a bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and who's going to have a word. Who's going to have a word?
Speaker 1: Wow? That's right. But the thing that strikes strikes me about Bomber as he does seem to be that kind of character. He's always got a kind of smile on his face. He doesn't seem to get that worked up about stuff. He always seems to be in control of himself. I was also impressed with Raoul actually with his batting. I thought he looked really solid in that first and second innings. You know, he had a shocker against us in and he catches a.
Speaker 3: Bit of a whipping boy in Indian cricket too, ra Rowl. He's often the guy that's been singled out. You know, he should be dropped, he's let us down. Yeah, I thought I thought he was terrific. I really like there's Lid as well, great sort of Maine going out the back of his flowing lots at the back of his helmet. But you know, you touch on something interesting as well. What doing do you do. They've got Rowitt Sharma coming back, They've got Mohammed Charmi who's just arrived. They've got Sugar and Gil and I think may still be out because I think he's still in a maybe not a cast, but I think he's not quite right. And then they've still got Ashwan and Jadeja to play with on the sidelines. Unbelievable. You want to talk about depth, They've got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, jeez, I struggle because I'm a big fan of Judaisha. I think he's a great cricketer. Must be hard leaving him out Nashvian as you say what I mean once he got five hundred and fifty Test wickets or something. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I don't think either of them have taken a lot of wickets in Australia. Yes, I think that's the problem. But Judaish is such a good cricketer you just play him.
Speaker 1: And you've got to be impressed with Washington Sunda too, because you know he looked the least threatening of the bowlers over when we were playing them, but actually got the most wickets and he's a bloody handy batsman as well, very handy batsman. Let's get into the IPL slave auction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the a few New Zealanders were picked up. Trent Bolt.
Speaker 2: Justifying his decision to turn down a central contract and he's raking it in again.
Speaker 4: He's going back to Mumbai for two point five million.
Speaker 2: Conway's going back to Chinno Super Kings, as is rich In Revendra one point two million and eight hundred thousand, respectively. Lucky Ferguson going to Punjab Kings for nearly half a million, Glenn Phillips for nearly half a million, to Gujaratt Mitchell Sanna is going to the Mumbai Indians see for close to half a million.
Speaker 4: He deserves it. I'm pleased for him.
Speaker 2: And the one that's kind of come out of nowhere is Bev and John Jacobs, the Pretoria born transplanted South African Kiwi.
Speaker 4: Who's going to Mumbai for sixty thousand. But man, it's better than.
Speaker 1: Kicking the ass and the ass, isn't it? Those are just ludicrous numbers. Paul Forward, Well, I mean, I mean in the context of the option, but holy shit, that's big money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's awesome, right, That's that's kind of what we need. We want our cricketers to be played market rates. We want our best sports people to become cricketers. This is how it happens. And I yes, they are big numbers, you know, without the context. But you know, I think if you look back to what the salaries were at the start of the IPL, what's that ten fifteen years ago, whatever it is, you know, I think they've only gone up around about one hundred percent, whereas I think the value of some of the franchises has gone up closer to tenfold. And there's lots of interesting statistics around what percentage of revenue is being made by the players compared to the owners, and in the OPL frankly, it's well below some of those international benchmarks around the NFL and the NBA and so on. So I think that there's a hell of a lot of room for growth in these salaries too. So, yeah, be shocked now, but you'll be even more shocked in the future, i'd suggest.
Speaker 4: And not all the New Zealander's got lucky no want to run Allen of course.
Speaker 1: Michael Bracewill, Mark Chapman, Matt Henry Unlucky, Kyle Jamison, Tom Latha, Madam Melne, Mitchell Nish and List O'Rourke, Sears, Say Fitz Smith Williamson and Keith No no, not the actor Keith Urbarn I'm not as Carl Urban actually the actor Country. He was married to Nicole Kidman years. I knew it. Jabs appointed me to that shut up a batch.
Speaker 3: The Bevan John Jacobs one is pretty interesting. There was a nice little aside in a profile because everyone's going, who the hell is this kid? I think he's the next generation Finaleen. I mean, fin Allen's getting a bit long in the tooth. He's what twenty five now, so you know he's we can maybe consign him to the scrappeak. But they were saying that the Mumbai Indians have got their scouting team. There's a guy called John Wright who was part of that scouting team and I think he was over in Queensland and Bevan John Jacobs was playing in the Queensland T twenty max competition, scored one hundred off forty balls and they reckon it's literally that innings that may have propelled him into the eyeballs for the IPL auction this week. How good, amazing opportunities that are opening up for some of our youngsters.
Speaker 1: Definitely, I'll tell you what. We're going to take another short break and be back for Paul Ford's News or Rus. Welcome back to the bayc and right now it's time for Paul Ford's News or Rus.
Speaker 3: Yea, it is three pieces of news. Will be something wrong with one of them. I think Jason Hoyt's got the trophy correct.
Speaker 1: Get it back, thanks mate.
Speaker 3: I wasn't actually trying to be slippery there, but I know it does probably sound like that if you've listened to the news of hers over the last few years. All right, Number one New Zelle open to Georgia. Plummer has been ruled out of cricket for the remainder of the year after sustaining a bone stress reaction in her knee. The injury means she will be unavailable for the home one days against Australia in December, and New Zealand Cricket release said she experienced pain in her left knee during the ODII series in India last month. M a ray an assessment by a specialist upon return to New Zealand, confusom the injury shall be back to high speed running in January. She'll also miss the Halliburton Johnston Shield and the super smashed domestic comp as Tom and Ben Sawyer, the New Zealand woman's head coach, had said, we're really gutted for this to happen to Georgia when she's at the top of her game. That's not the rules. The coach the thing Number two seven all out Ivory Coast record lowest men's T twenty cricket international score. The Ivory Coast managed seven in a two hundred and sixty four run defeat at the hands of Nigeria and Lagos Legos on Sunday, marking the lowest score ever recorded in a men's TEA twenty international. Ivory Coast's reply saw the opener Ultara Muhammad top score with four, with Mimi Alex Mega Ibrahim and Da Claude each adding one run to the total, with six batters falling for ducks. The previous lowest score and a men's TA twenty was ten. The lowest total in a woman's game is six, shared by the Maldives and Marley Powerhouses, and number three a domestic tournament in the West Andies ended in a forfeit after the captains of Barbados and Jamaica, two teams who were set to take part in the final of the Super Fifty Cup on Sunday in Trinidad and Tobago, didn't arrive on time for the toss. The patch was set to be a fifty over contest, then reduced to twenty after some bad weather. A statement was released where it said the one pm start was disrupted and our prior. Then rain hit the area and pushed the game back at about five point forty five they did. The officials decided the game would proceed, but the captains did not turn up and the championship was shared. Audacious from the captains, I'd suggest, sure honor George's knee. Yeah, the useless Africans.
Speaker 1: Or the lazy. I've never heard of a bone stress. I don't really get how a bone can be stressed. It's either busted or not busted. So I'm going with one that the injury is not a bone stress. I know it's right out there, but hey.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure that's right.
Speaker 2: I've got a funny feeling actually that they didn't end up sharing that One day Cup that the West Indies Cricket Board was so furious that they didn't declare a winner rather than share it. But knowing Paul, I'm just trying to get inside his warped mind here. I think it's going to be story too, and it will be. It was definitely seven and it was definitely overy case. But perhaps it wasn't against Nigeria. Perhaps it was against Marry or Angola. Anyway, that's what I'm going for a story too.
Speaker 3: Got some news about the trophy. The trophy is going to be changing hands due to Jason Hoyt's incredible anatomical knowledge of women's bodies. It is correct. The bone stress reaction is in Georgia Plummer's growing, not her me.
Speaker 4: It's still a bone stress, correct, Dr Hoyt?
Speaker 1: Thanks mate?
Speaker 4: How do you have a link?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Doesn't he it's still a bone stress. He didn't actually get well, yeah, but I got the main vibe of it right.
Speaker 1: It just didn't feel right to me there. Dylan right, speaking of Dylan Luck, he's felthy. It's Dylan Cleavers. Who am I? It's Dylan Cleavers? Who am I? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Onto more important matters, well, not last week actually foughtnight ago, the tragic tale of Dick Motts was told, and there were a couple of winners.
Speaker 4: From a couple of usual suspects.
Speaker 2: Actually, Matt Parker took some research, but Dick Motts didn't really know much about him other than his first New Zealander is to take one hundred wickets. It also raises the question I've been wondering for a while before Hadley who was considered New Zealand's greatest bowler. Was it Motts, Cowie, Taylor or Collins or the best? Matt? I think it was probably Jack. Cowie was considered a wonder of the age, so that's who I go for. Matt and Michael Seth also got and obviously the tragic part of that story was his son Wayne I think it was, was murdered in Cathedral Square as he waited to start his shift as a street cleaner. I think he was, and he was murdered by a skinhead. Anyway, onto more pleasant matters.
Speaker 4: Who am I?
Speaker 2: I played my first three internationals and the newest, busiest, bangiest form of the game, but then had to wait two months. I have five years to don national colors again, but plenty had changed in the interim to skip straight to the end. I played my last Internationals in the same T twenty I format, finishing with a three bat sequence that went first ball duck, first ball duck, second ball duck for the last of those blondes coming for my third international side, which must make me a man or a centaur at least of the world. Yeah, okay, you probably guessed already, but humor of me for a while. I was born in a sleeper town named after a famous fortification line built as a result of the Second Sledshwig War of eighteen sixty four. Not far from where I was born, you can buy a really good pair of socks moving as a child, I made my name as a dasher and a grabber, a hooker and a catta whose game was suited to the hardest and fastest of wickets. Debuting in the West Indies, I look set for a long and fruitful career, but there always just seemed to be one or two people in front of me in the queue in my specialized position. Relocation to tafonganui Atara re energized my game and although I was almost exclusively a white bull option on the international stage, I still managed to sneak in a handful of tests and finished with a batting average that suggested I probably should have played a few more. My best test not came in a famous win, and should have resulted in a century had I not hooked one down the throat of final leg, just the way I played. Even though I'm long removed from my final game as a player, the camera still has a habit of finding me.
Speaker 4: Who am I got a.
Speaker 1: Question for you, Dylan. Yeah, never heard of the word blonger, blonder, blonde? Is that a word? I mean, you're a wordsmut so I'm taking it it is.
Speaker 2: I think it's a word that I've used to describe with dak. It might not be in the Oxford English.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, that's of you. I just wanted to clarify. Well, if you know the answer to that, Paul Forward, Well they do.
Speaker 3: You should flick as an email to b y C at Baseebrigade dot co dot d or slide into the DMS on Instagram or Facebook for the Alternative Commentary Collective or the Base Brigade and.
Speaker 1: For any of you. I know this, Yeah, I think I know. I don't. Actually I thought I did, but then I t twenties.
Speaker 3: I thought you cricketers from this place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, yes, you're right, Paul, and I thought you would have got up with the reference to the Second Serge War there, Jason, the what you can slish Wig War of eighteen sixty four.
Speaker 1: Oh right is hey? Now sign for Paul Ford's Cricket Violence Corner and he's given us a photo to have a ganderrect too, which I've seen previous to this podcast. My god, what a nightmare. Forward's Cricket Violence Corner.
Speaker 4: This is going to be grim.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sorry. A Western Australian cricket umpire copt the night mes scenario for any official taking of full blooded straight dive drive directly to the face and a third grade match. Senior cricket umpire Tony dinn Abrego was umpire in the West Australian Suburban Turf Cricket Association when it all went wrong. He got the brutal brelow when a straight drive out of the screws hit Tony flush on the side of the face. Good news though, he spent the night in hospital and he hasn't got any broken bones, but some surgery is possibly looming. The Western Australian Umpire's Association posted on Facebook, Paul, it looks absolutely it's a shocker, horrifict.
Speaker 4: Did you only get hit yourself when you're doing that, Jesse.
Speaker 1: No, I only got I got hit once from a throw. It's square legg It's yeah, it's square leg where I temporarily took my eye off the ball because I was seeing if the batsmen were crossing, and yeah, got one between the shoulder blades at full pase.
Speaker 3: It is instructive to look at what a baseball catch, sorry, a baseball umpire wears. Obviously, they stand, you know, directly behind the you know, in the line of fire with the picture with the picture. But so does a cricket umpire, you know, and they're wearing like full blowing you know, vests and shin pads and helmets.
Speaker 1: I tell you what, quite sincerely. You know, there's times when someone rarely times won straight back down the worker and there were some close calls in terms of ducking and weaving and stuff. It's like Jesus, you want to take a step back or two because they some of those players bout the crap out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it all happened something bad will happen. I'm always amazed actually that no one in the crowd has been Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's some of them are so bad.
Speaker 3: You don't think that they are watching the ball, but clearly most of them are.
Speaker 1: Yes. Yes. Hey. Well that's the end of the podcast for today. Obviously we'll be back next week, same time, same place to deeply analyze this first Test match, which we're all looking forward to. What's going on with the Bounce there, Dylan Cleaver, you must be busy.
Speaker 2: Are the Bounces preparing for It's a special series during the Test. Actually, I do something called Notes from the Oval. Yes, very analyze each day's play, take a cap of little vignits from each day's play. So yes, sign up before it's too late. Dylancleaver dot subset dot com or google Dylan Cleaver The Bounce.
Speaker 1: Great stuff mate, A well, thanks for listening. We'll see you all next week. Bye bye,