Speaker 1: Live from the Hellenstein's on Queen Street. This is the Agenda Podcast, brought to you by Export Ultra, the beer for the Cricket World Cup. Not officially obviously they we can't say that because you know legal reasons.
Speaker 2: But I did.
Speaker 3: The Agenda Podcast, the Home of Sporting Nonsense and clap Trap, brought to you by Export of Vulture.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome in to the Helenstein's on Queen Street in Auckland, where it is a great pleasure to welcome in dear friend of the show, Kyle Mels.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Kyle. How are you going mate? Very well, delighted to be here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're a little bit more energetic than j Laan's this morning, which suggests to me that you didn't get up at stupid o'clock in the middle of the night to watch every single ball of what is essentially the deadest rubber that we've had in a World Cup for living memory.
Speaker 2: Probably. Yeah, I actually think Gelane's looking pretty good condition. Thanks man.
Speaker 4: The best of you ever seen that You've seen me in some states as well, Kyle.
Speaker 2: Look, I wasn't just watching though, was I Mean?
Speaker 4: I I were commentating on Sky Sport, so I actually had to have my wits about me slightly. But what was most wounding is coming in at ten to two in the morning.
Speaker 2: That's not even early. It's late.
Speaker 4: It's almost late, you know what I mean. I had to get up late. Yeah, that's still nighttime. Yeah yeah, and come in and then be greeted with covers on the field and rain, So there was an hour and a bit rain delay at two in the morning.
Speaker 2: Your commitment was admirable. That is thank you. Look your Papa New Guinea, the heavyweight of Papua New Guinea. Highlight of the match.
Speaker 4: We'll just cover this match quickly before we go back to the beginning of this World Cup campaign is pretty much the only ray of light was Lockie ferguson his four overs, no runs, three wickets.
Speaker 5: How difficult is that? Four maidens t twenty cricket. That's what a producers ah. The highlight of the game, twenty four dot deliveries.
Speaker 1: I was thinking that when I saw it this morning, I was like, I couldn't imagine getting up at you know what time, did you one thirty whatever it was, to only then see the covers come on and then four maiden overs in the of night.
Speaker 4: They were exciting maiden overs. I know that's hard, that's hard for you both to comprehend. But he got a wicket in his first ball, so it and then it was a maiden, so it was a wicket maiden.
Speaker 2: Who was the better.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I recognize any of those was the opening betsman, I remember that. Look they had a better batting line up than your gander, give you that. But then his second over, he got another wicket in his second over, and he had two wicket maidens. And then he came he went off and came back bowled another maiden, and then it was like, okay, can he bowl four maidens? And then he got a wicket in his fourth over ani maidens, So it was it was a lot more exciting than it sounded. And plus yeah, he was bowling heat. They were like, there was fizzing past these poor guys noses. They had no idea what swinging as well, swinging, swinging and bouncing.
Speaker 2: Hoping it anyway, let's cover that.
Speaker 4: But let's go back, Cole, we've got your hare looking for your kind of expert opinion.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to the start. Now.
Speaker 4: New Zealand's campaign kicked off against Afghanistan, and there's been a lot of talk around the preparation before a tournament like this. We went in super cold. There's a lot of barbs.
Speaker 2: Being thrown around around the lack of preparation.
Speaker 4: How important is it to have those warm up games before a tournament.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's vital. I don't know the ins and outs.
Speaker 5: I kind of feel like we're a little bit victim of circumstance because I think we're Our first game was quite deep into the tournament, a foodline days since I think once the first game has happened in the tournament, no one can play any practice games in the event, So there's I think that's been blown up a little bit, probably more watching that game.
Speaker 2: We're really flat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think ten days in Guyana compared to say ten days in New York would be a difference to that, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you've been to Guyana, but that can sort of make you pretty flats.
Speaker 2: That's pretty much South America, isn't it.
Speaker 5: It's the kool Aid. Yeah, it's Jamestown. Yeah, it's quite a way away. It's the top of South America. Yeah, Chanderpaul, Yeah, Alvin Kellataran yep.
Speaker 2: Nick of the Woods. So not much ado in Guyana.
Speaker 5: Yeah, ten days, that's quite Whereas if you had ten days in New York, I think the boys would be alive.
Speaker 1: They'll be vissing yeah, or that'd be dead after ten days.
Speaker 2: On the last. So how do you think they approached it? Then? Obviously they didn't have time.
Speaker 4: Obviously the various commitments around the world were t twenty competitions meant that the team probably got together but later than expected.
Speaker 2: But in my mind this is how I saw it.
Speaker 4: Potentially they saw the round robin players their warm ups in terms of, you know, get Afghanistan out of the way West Indie is probably the hardest opposition. Then you've got a couple of minnows and then hit the super eights running yeah, and then it went horribly wrong.
Speaker 5: We better I for the two minnows the minimum nos first, Yes, yes, because Afghanistan, and I said to my circle of friends, they're a banana skin team. On those surfaces and those conditions, they can be hard work. If they were happened to get on a roll, and you know, that's the case of that game was played in New Zealand or Australia, or South Africa or England, it would be a different result of the slow surfaces they got on song.
Speaker 2: We were exceptionally flat. I don't know if you watched it, were different.
Speaker 5: Conways part time man, not just respect to differentnything.
Speaker 2: But he was just he looked rusty behind the stumps and.
Speaker 4: The fielding was batwing for now and caught one in the sternum. I didn't even get to his hands. He just basically chested it down like luck he was.
Speaker 1: In the euro I know when you were trying to describe it afterwards, when people like what happened just like kind of nothing like. We should have probably limped towards a wind towards the end there, but it just petered out. And then in the end we had to bash a bunch to you know, to try and get there. But I don't know, I just was was the scheduling our biggest downfall because as soon as we lost that, now our second game is do or die, like when we're going against the host nation.
Speaker 2: So were we darted a little bit with the draw? I think?
Speaker 5: I think so the draw and what I touched on earlier, you couldn't play a warm up game after once a talk as start us. All these factors came into play. I think we banked on our experience which didn't kind of come through the IPL.
Speaker 2: Most of our guys weren't playing.
Speaker 5: Only Malty was the only one that was playing consistent cricket over there. So I think I'm sure they'll do a review if they would have to go back and go through what we could have done better, and I think they would have changed. They would change quite a few things, just adding to to all this, isn't it these minnows like Nepau Nelly beats South Africa South Africa? The other day Scotland pushed Australia a little bit, beat Pakistan, USA bat pakst isn't it like it's actually kind of cool for the game. So if we play those teams over a five day test match, will when all the time maybe shortened the game?
Speaker 2: Everyone comes in.
Speaker 5: So the ACC eleven and say a one over game against any other team.
Speaker 2: You could you could have a chance.
Speaker 4: Well I don't know about that. We're seven. We dropped eleven catches. The many again that you like traders, we dropped eleven catches. Okay, that's that's tough.
Speaker 2: We know we did. He was there. That is true too.
Speaker 1: We've got one win, but it's got an asterix beside it because I think we scored two hundred odd for the loss of fifteen wickets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they put us back in again. We've scored so little. They said, just keep getting and we did and we got. They put up a good score and then they lost anyway.
Speaker 5: But look if Jason Hoyt worked on his running between the wickets, yes, you just never never know.
Speaker 2: So it's true.
Speaker 5: That's where the beauty of T twenty cricket is good. You're having all these minnow countries coming in, growing the game and all that pilava is really good.
Speaker 2: You look at the Football World Cup.
Speaker 5: We got all these teams now playing out who can produce upset results.
Speaker 2: So that is one I think.
Speaker 5: You know, we're a victim of it this this tournament, losing to Afghanistan, but that is one positive moving forward there where T twenty cricket has brought these minnows in and they've got a chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I suppose US and Pakistan can cry together in the changing rooms because obviously they were not not favorites, but they were seeing they're seen as a dangerous TEA twenty side and for them to get knocked out by the USA saying something I.
Speaker 5: Actually thought they could. You know, it was a all the way through. Actually, Pakistani one of those teams always like in the Pakistan cricket team to the French rugby team.
Speaker 2: You just don't know what you're going to get.
Speaker 5: You could the French rugby team could lose by fifty, or they could just go on a run in a given form throwing the port around that and they win by fifty.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually selfishly lost a little bit of money on Pakistan only because I saw a video clip of Nathan Lyon saying he thought they were going to win, and so I just stole that take and I was telling you right now, I actually think.
Speaker 2: Pakistan, I'm probably gonna win this one. Nathan like huge twenty a lot, made a lot of Tea twenty. He knows the game and sided out.
Speaker 1: Nathan Lyne, Yeah do we Obviously most recently you were the bowling coach for the Black Cavs. Why I was talking to Lame about this, We obviously don't produce a lot of spinners because is that because of the pitchers that we produce that don't favor spin. And subsequent question, everyone in the world Afghanistan just did it to us? Has this like freak spinner out there? Do we need to doctor a few pictures so that we can breed a few spinners to take to these kind of tournaments.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I think you're byproducts of the environment and you've mard it. We don't have the conditions. We play on really small ground, so even a park outer oval, it's a postage stamp. So if you're a spinner that gets it slightly wrong, yeah, you're met. You can go to the moon. So we kind of don't have those conditions that's conducive or encourages those spin bowlers to develop.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then for the longest time, we've always been like, well, but when teams come down here, we've got all these seamers that have been playing here their whole lives, and so that benefits us.
Speaker 2: The problem is now no one's coming down here.
Speaker 1: So we're just producing all of these players that have to go and play and terrible conditions.
Speaker 2: I reckon, we need to just doctor up a few pictures.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you do it, but and then and then just encourage a few more spinners because teams are opening with spinners in this tournament.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, But I mean, is it like Kyle you're saying, is that it's more to do with when you say conditions. It's actually almost environmental conditions as well, because last summer the pictures in New Zealand, for the first time in a long time, took turn.
Speaker 2: They did the basin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like normally it's a normally it's a green seamer, hardly spin it, Dan Vatory, just bold armball after armball, the sic bold medium paced this whole career, and then all of a sudden this summer, spinnings are going everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's right, Well that basin.
Speaker 5: I was there for that Basin Test and Nathan Lyon got fire, Phillips got fifer and this is all the talk. And I actually told that it's actually always turned to you. Dan, You just why are you saying this all the time?
Speaker 2: But I enjoyed that Test match for that reason.
Speaker 5: Our pictures here have become really their belters, even park they're just really good surfaces, and I think is a good thing producing these good wickets and good practice surfaces. But all the pictures around the country have almost become the same. I feel like Australia is like that as well. You'd think back to Australia, the whacker was always fast and bounce, so you swung a little bit at the Gabba.
Speaker 2: Seg was a turning wicket.
Speaker 5: Adelaide Oval was a bad at parent all these pictures were really really different. I feel now they've all kind of become the same and down here in all our pictures are kind of the same as as well. We don't have that variety throughout the country for players to experience different conditions.
Speaker 2: Who I don't really know how this works. Who dictates that? Is that?
Speaker 4: Is it the is it the kind of northern districts?
Speaker 2: Is it? Is it New Zealand cricket? Well?
Speaker 4: Who who facilitates and who manages what the pitches are going to be like?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I think the International Games is not to be any is independent.
Speaker 4: So it's up to kJ And and Hamilton or it's up to Blair and we're in Auckland to produce a pitch that they think will produce a good game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's up to the grounds. It's up to the groundsmen.
Speaker 5: Well, they know their condition's best and they all talk now they think they meet once a year to have a conference conference.
Speaker 2: The council have a conference.
Speaker 4: That sounds all the curators, the curators, some curating their conference, some sharing of expertise, because I mean you look at places like the b c c I and when Australia too are there and some of the some of the pitch operations that were going over there that completely backfired on them on a couple of occasions. I was always wondering who actually yeah to grounds like we want us this summer.
Speaker 2: We want just some good pace that we want some turn or is it just sense I do what they want?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not comparing the guy that's great.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 5: How is any other sport like it? Where if you don't talk about the players? Was this this pitch gets talked about all this from the lead up to the to a test match or one day, what's the pitch likes going to do this and do that? Then the pitch then the game starts. It's like everyone's got that wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah we didn't pick.
Speaker 5: It's the best a sport For hindsight, I think, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because we all want to be the guy that knows. It's like well, look, if it does this, then we should pack this. Guys like, none of us know. We're all fucking shitting in the.
Speaker 4: Day, even the groundsman. Because I'd say the groundsman go it's turning yeah. He would go up and say, we'd ask you it's turning yes.
Speaker 2: He didn't know that his little tweak has got a little bit of purchase on EFLs.
Speaker 1: What do you take away from the like those two I'm gonna call them dead rubbers against Uganda and Papa. If you're a player, even if you're a coach, do you take anything away from them.
Speaker 2: Or do you just sort of get them out of the way.
Speaker 5: I don't think you can, can you? Yes, if a relatively old team as well. I think there's only one change from the last World Cup. I saw some article about that. But what our players are really experienced cricketers. The younger guy was Finn, who could probably get something out of it.
Speaker 4: We got a duck today, You've got a duck out of picking ball and a first ball guy in the tournament.
Speaker 5: I think it was probably more for for those two teams. Pap you're going to again, probably even though they got touched up. That's experience playing against a really good side, but for us, I think will be a painful week to be hanging around.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was going to say that, like, what what are you thinking going into a dead rubber You're you've already been knocked out, Like, yeah, I can imagine it'd be pretty flat in the nets before before those games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the spark would be gone. But yeah, yeah, a bit of pressure off. But a few guys, I think Bolty's coming out last few days, so yeah he's done. Yeah, yeah, a few of those other guys who might keep that to them over.
Speaker 4: Timmy as well, because her come and said this is my last T twenty World Cup. Yeah, so that's when you said the last time I'm going to play a T twenty World Cup.
Speaker 1: I've always said, if you're a professional athlete, never retire because you don't know who's going to throw a contract that you're down the track, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Who knows when New Zealand cricketers in four years?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't think he think he was going to plan in two years time. I think that was that was his message and he was happy to go out with it. But Laura asked the question of him after the game and see it as at the last time, will see you with a silver fern on your chest, and he goes, I can't up to me, to me, I can't answer that right now.
Speaker 5: So it's a few others like Cain. You know, we're lucky even that he's a bit older. Be interesting to see what they do with this T twenty side, Devin Conway spring Chicken. That's right, there's quite a few there. So do you pull up starts? Go right, it's got two years for the next World Cup, so platurns what yeah, do you do that? Or you try and manage that a little bit. Give them a couple of those guys around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of the headlines this morning are all gone after Steady. I don't think you can is that throwing the baby out with the bath order.
Speaker 5: I think he has enough credits in the bank to be honest. He's probably one of our most successful coaches in the history of the game for us. Yeah, you know, that's what happens in it.
Speaker 2: You lose. People look for an angles and.
Speaker 4: Because I mean, people are going to ask the question around the different formats and the different coaches, because I think we're one of the fewer Tier one nations. Who has one coach across all three formats? Do you think that's going to be looked at and part of the review. And they come back from this World Cup.
Speaker 5: You know that's we're a victim of our kind of environment a little bit when it comes to that gulane, because you look at England, for example, they play their cricket and blocks. You got a red ball block and you have a white ball block, so you can sort of do that, like I think Bass has been home for three months and now he goes up to England next week or the week after to do the test match block. And Australia is the same. They play in these blocks, whereas as so we kind of fight for people to come here and to play. We'll be playing test matches one week, then we'll squeeze in some T twenty games, we'll go back to a test match, We'll go back to white ball cricket, because cricket, I think, are trying to get games of cricket and don't care what it is or what format. So then if we've got different coaches, we've got different coaches bouncing in and out and the nucleus of our team, it's kind of the same no matter what format as well, so I think that would get messy for us. You know, coach leaving on Sunday morning, a new coach coming to Monday, and then the following week they're changing back again. I think that mixed messages. Crickets are temperamental as it is. Just start again a few messages.
Speaker 4: It's not the golden bullet because you know, you look at the top teams like India, Australia, England, South Africa. You know, you look at those guys and they've got very regimented.
Speaker 2: Seasons.
Speaker 5: So every year there's the Boxing Day Tests and the Sydney Tests in Australia no matter what they're playing. For us, sometimes we're playing a Test match, sometimes we're playing on one day, sometimes sometimes Pistan, so we kind of being pulled and pushed all the time. So it be quite a hard thing I think to manage. And and England is the same. They always have this right red ball cricket time bomb.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, okay, well that's the advantage of being able to sit in the room for the future tours.
Speaker 2: Pragum isn't it's three nations. It's in England Australia, and you.
Speaker 1: Go right, let's sort said, that's set it up so it benefits us and only us and disadvantages everyone else. Yeah, I think we draw a line under this this World Cup for for now, We're going to take a quick break and we come back throw line under the underneath the black Caps at least. But now, as a Warriors fan, this is all too familiar territory for me. Our team's out. So who do we jump on board? We'll take a quick break, We'll come back and discuss that. So I mentioned before the break, black Caps are gone. We didn't make it to the Super eight group. Ossies are looking terrifying as always. Who do we get on to beat the Aussies going forward and the rest of the tournament here again, do you think they're the favorites the Australia.
Speaker 2: It just pains me even to answer this question. It's a real struggle for me as well, because God, I hate them.
Speaker 4: I have come out I hate them. I hate all my Australian friends. You know, I like them, but then as soon as we play sport, I hate them. And the worst part is they do look excellent as well. And Jack, how Jack doestness. Oh he's a beautiful It is a specimen.
Speaker 2: But you're right there. You sort of speak to those guys and divisually.
Speaker 5: I know quite a few of them well and real good lands, good dudes. But give them together, put.
Speaker 2: Them in that yellow jersey. Talk to me. So so Australia they are clear favorites. They have played.
Speaker 4: I mean they got a little bit of a scare against Silent and not really Stillness came in and just finished them off.
Speaker 2: India like they the pictures are, the pictures are up and down.
Speaker 4: This is the first World Cup where I've seen bowlers on top of the bat for a very long time, and that's due to the up and down nature of the pitch.
Speaker 2: They won in New York as.
Speaker 4: A bit of a firecracker as well, with India defending one hundred and nineteen. Do you think India's got the firepowder beat Australia. Is it England who look a bit flat? Is it South Africa?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think I can roll out South Africa for some reason. I think we'll push them to one side.
Speaker 4: Were they kind of they're by Rory meckro where they can't close. They can't even close the divorce anyway, poor.
Speaker 2: Raws when we met with you, there's no he can't even back in his life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can't do these text and when are you coming off the co have you had too many beers?
Speaker 2: And we saw it when he lit that last part out and lost it. But yeah, he saw the divorce in the world that I can't do that.
Speaker 5: But yeah, Australia, I think Australia going to be very very to be But India just on their day, they can just pull it. They can pull it together and be very weary of them.
Speaker 4: There'll be ICC's dream one that the Australia India Final in Barbados in a few weeks time. Do you think their four A into America has been successful around?
Speaker 5: You know that Texas and New York I do a shame. The pictures have been shit. Yeah, it would have been great to have a few high scoring games and really put on a show over there.
Speaker 2: It is a big market.
Speaker 5: It's someone told me not so long ago that krick and Foes is where you go to for your cricket stats and knowledge. The most hits on that website is from India and the second most is the States. Yeah, so there's obviously a lot of expats living there, and to get that traditional American sports fan, I think it's tough. It'll be tough, but with all the expect community over the US, there is a market, and why not spread the game. That's what that's what the game needs, and that's why I think you're having the US. You're beating Pakistan. So yeah, a good thing. Well maybe potentially ICC should maybe fund a proper stadium, at least in a couple of them, you know what I mean, because obviously that pop up in New York, and I think Dallas is a full time since the one in Dallas, Texas, so that was the only year.
Speaker 2: That's the only hue looked great. Yeah, I look great.
Speaker 1: But it just watched a couple of the local league. They're the US League, and the expect communities out in force. It's like sellouts at all those games. But yeah, I don't think that this is like the Las Vegas thing for the NRL. I just don't think. I've always thought you've only got room in your brain for cricket or baseball. It's not both. You can You're never going to be able to wrap your head around both of them. And I think that's why New Zealand there's never really adopted baseball, and I think it's going to be hard to get those that baseball following.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well I started to get into baseball, and my wife just sat me down and said, you are not getting into the sport because because they play like eighty games in a regulars its a huge amount of games, and it's just so much content and so much time spent watching that.
Speaker 2: I was like, She's like, no, you're not doing it, even hot dogs and drinking. But I wouldn't mind going to a few games, so I don't get me wrong. I'd love to head over to the States and go to a few of those games.
Speaker 1: What about I find the structure of the tournament. I think I'm just bitter because we're out, but there seems to be almost too many minnows in the comp to where there's a lot of sort of meaningless games.
Speaker 2: We've just watched two of them.
Speaker 1: Do you think that the four pools with as many teams as are in the competition is the way for because you mentioned before, like obviously that does great things for the game in those countries. I don't know how. I don't know what the viewing stats are in Uganda against the Black Cats.
Speaker 2: I presume they're great.
Speaker 1: But do you think maybe the tournament, because in T twenty you could change the tournament.
Speaker 2: Because they're over so quickly. You could get through it a bit quicker.
Speaker 1: We talked about us having to wait nine days before we play our first game, then we're almost over straight away. Is there another way that you could structure the tournament that had made it a bit more interesting?
Speaker 5: Yeah, perhaps there's a balancing act to that. You're right, and I see where you're coming from. Perhaps it could be a pre tournament beforehand where two teams come through. They get there two weeks beforehand, like you're Ganda, Papa New Guinea and they didn't they Yeah, they did one tournament I remember, yeah, something like that. But look, I remember I hate to go back to my era, but PAS the Champions Trophy in England and Australia were like the real deal, you know, all the big boys and stuff, and.
Speaker 2: Buga Dish beat them.
Speaker 5: I just remember the saying at the time, oh my god, Dish, that will never happen to us. Yeah, and then I think about three years later we lost four mil to the p BE. Remember I remember that, so these things, you know, it could be yes, we're not expecting your gander or part and you're ginning to tip up us at this time, but who knows.
Speaker 2: And in his time where that could nepoke. They looked all right, they looked okay. And the Dutch always go they're always there're going pretty good. And I know they've got a few ringings with.
Speaker 4: The USA obviously Cory Anderson playing for the USA and in his twilight.
Speaker 2: Years, that's right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I think your question there is a little bit of a gap between those lower minnows that are there, and because you're right, you don't want to wake people to wake up at two in the morning to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I suppose that's any tournament as well, like there are there are a few hidings that the All Black stretched out and Paul play as well and there on too, So I guess that is a big part of it. I just I think it's just the way it happened to us. That is why I'm why I'm so bitter. But so I've forgotten who your tip was India over Australia if it's going.
Speaker 2: To be only because I don't want Australia to win. Yeah, England. What's your thoughts on England?
Speaker 5: They've a just farted through to the to the Super eight again. They just got those players like if Butler lights it up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you do is Joff Archer? Is he in the team? Or is he he got three wickets the other day? Did it be terrifying?
Speaker 4: Imagine facing him on those pictures. You don't know where it's going to hit you in the ankle, yeah, or the tempoint one that didn't bounce the other day. Yeah, that would be terrifying. Do I think they've just farted through because they they got a Scotland have got an unbeaten record against England because they beat them and then they've beat them in one and they've got no results in the rest of them. So they yet to beat Scotland in a in a World Cup.
Speaker 2: Brilliant.
Speaker 1: They need to launch another referendum, but we'll take a quick break when we come back. I want to find out what happens after a team's eliminated from a competition, whether they weren't, whether they lose, What does it look like in the changing rooms afterwards? Are they court sessions all that kind of stuff, So we'll delve into that after this. So obviously there'll be no winner's person for the black Caps this year, unfortunately. But in teams that you've been a part of that have won tournaments, what kind of celebrations go on after the after the competition, what sort of what sort of stories can you share with us into a hot microphone from your day has been involved with the team.
Speaker 2: Well, can you talk us through the limousine from the baseline? Oh, yes, because that's that's.
Speaker 4: Something that people kind of know about and it gets spread out but no one really knows about.
Speaker 2: And it's a bowlers and keep it tradition, isn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a wonderful tradition. I think it started funny enough against Bangladesh. I wasn't playing. It was a few years before my time in the Adam Prairie era, I think, and they decided that they'll play for the Bashes, so they get the baals. I think they actually burnt the bales from that Testmash called them the bashes. They decided to set the basin ashes to go up to get the limousine. Yes, Mount Fact I don't know would have been manager then maybe Jeff Crow maybe you're in that era possibly and the only bowler was if you bowled and over in the game and the keeper went up and you knows a bit of a party and the limos smoking.
Speaker 2: For the Gars Australia's body awesome.
Speaker 5: So I can see how it's awesome, a great idea for a one off, but how it kind of quickly became a tradition. Yeah, it's kind of beyond me. But's uh, you know, I came into the environment and that's all we talked about all week. But we've got to win this. We're going to win this test. The limit you to batters trying to sneak an over and to try and but yeah, awesome tradition, and I understand it. It's still continues to the state. It must cost the manager like rollers. I remember Lindsay Crocker a few times. Oh yeah, the great old one foot was rolled his eyes. Oh you're serious, We've got to When he'd be like, this is not a tradition.
Speaker 1: It's not a tradition, okay, and then like and I want cigars, we want champagne please.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there was always a highlight. But ye're getting knocked out when your last was always flat. It's just flat.
Speaker 5: And then normally over the subcontinentt is you know, five or six people in the changing room who the helpers, you know, asking for you know, to pay off their.
Speaker 2: Mortgage, take all your massively. So yeah, and so I.
Speaker 4: Mean does everyone come home together or do they people choose to go elsewhere? Is there a bit of a golf tournaments.
Speaker 5: Always tend to head home or sometimes one of the best ones.
Speaker 2: Just reminded me.
Speaker 5: Actually there was a T twenty World Cup in the West indies'nly enough and we got knocked out to England in the quarterfinal I think it was, and they went on to win it Ryan side bottom as your bold walk side bottom and so we lost. But we had a tour afterwards to the States and Fort Lauderdale to play Sri Lanka in two T twenty games. Also we got knocked out. We had like this window of going to Fort Lauderdale, Miami.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I hope that was before social media.
Speaker 2: For this story.
Speaker 5: Shane Bond retired after the England game and just came home. What are you doing, Bond? So a Fort Lauderdale staying at this amazing resort.
Speaker 2: I think M J.
Speaker 5: Was out on the golf course playing golf people and yeah that was a blast, but and sorry, no facilities to train you could you couldn't train to the fitness trying to make us do running laps up and down the pools, just trying to get the occupied tie up. So we had this to meet at nine o'clock each day to do some fitness for a few hours. And the day was yours for like a week because we've got no to wait for the tournament to finish.
Speaker 2: I think Shank and may have gone through deeper into that tournament. And then they came and is he all cheering one links of this pool? They have little rum and cokes at each end of the pool. Yeah, we're off to the other end. What was what was Shane Bond think you? I think he regrets it? Yeah, I regretted on his behalf. He could have just pulled back, he could Where are you going? Yeah for a week? No, no, no, no, no, I'll retire after this. Surely you can pull it back. You ring home and your wife goes You told me you'd retired. What do you do? Well?
Speaker 1: I just have to there's only one flight and the whole team's coming there together, so I'm going to have to.
Speaker 2: Yeah blah blah blah. They re lying on me.
Speaker 1: Because then when the when the trainers like getting the poll into a few less he's like, I'm retiring.
Speaker 2: I'll just be on the soap.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, no court sessions or anything like that after the after the time.
Speaker 5: I remember court sessions and the oh god, you bring back all these old it's either good or bad for you or not. The infamous South African World Cup and so yeah, she may have been we on that tour no.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and three. Where was that in South Africa?
Speaker 5: No, definitely and the infamous Christians got knocked out after the night out at Tiger Tiger.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, I heard about it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we had a court session which was what's good fun but's and then yeah there was a few issues at the night time of it.
Speaker 1: Well that's what sends to happen after a court sessue. Yeah, there's no post planning. It happens afterwards.
Speaker 4: I think now the post planning is do not go out. So they usually that's held in the hotel and manager locks the door.
Speaker 2: That's what peoples to their room.
Speaker 1: I've heard of professional teams that would hire a fleet of taxis to sit outside, and they had a team list with players faces, their name, and then their address, so they don't even have to talk to the player when they come out of the out of the room.
Speaker 2: They get in the back look in the rear view mirror. Oh yeah, that's uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, none of that gun off of the black Caps this time around, unfortunately. I reckon that'll just about do us from Hellenstein's here on Queen Street. Before we go, though, Lane's got a few questions he'd like to put you through.
Speaker 2: We ask of our guests.
Speaker 4: It's called twenty two and two, so it's twenty two questions in two minutes.
Speaker 2: Kyle.
Speaker 4: It's it's rapid fire. So it's just yes or no or a choice. Okay, So Kyle Mills, this is twenty two and two.
Speaker 2: Coffee or tea? Coffee? Sex or drugs? Sex or drugs?
Speaker 4: Sex, hard or fast?
Speaker 2: Would you rather wake up ned next to Hamish or James Marshall? Amosh? What's James?
Speaker 4: Would you rather spend an hour watching David Warner replays of him scoring one hundred or get water boarded by an ex Navy seal with PTSD.
Speaker 2: I have to take davy water might be entertaining, okay, Tye.
Speaker 4: Or Indian Indian eat out or dining eat out, Freddy Mercury or Elton John Freddy wet or dry wet dogs.
Speaker 2: Or cats cats?
Speaker 4: Travis Kelcey or Taylor Swift, Swifty Grant, Elliott, Heath Davis and Matthew sink Sinkly.
Speaker 2: Who's got the biggest downstairs? Have to be Mathew? What cricket legend? Would you bring back from the dead? Ah? Good question. Who's the fellow that got Don Bradman out? You died? You died on that forever? I would never clue it should be good, shouldn't we should know that? Jim? Like, who would you bring back anyone, anyone from the dead? Ah? The Don? The Don? Okay?
Speaker 4: Well, if the ceremony to bring back the Don resulted in you talking like Kevin Peterson for the rest of your.
Speaker 2: Life, would you still do it? Have you ever fired a gun? Yes? Have you ever killed anything bigger than an insect? Oh? It's a terrible story, but yes. Who who's the most famous person you've met? Famous? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Like big time famous, you know, like Brad Pitt met met Derek Jitter No, yeah, oh yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: He's right, Okay, j Loo, weren't they? Yeah?
Speaker 4: That was a has been through a few If you had a reoccurring dream that a snowman killed himself with a hair dry would you be concerned?
Speaker 2: I just don't think so. If you were offered a knighthood, would you accept it?
Speaker 4: What age do people say they have had a fall instead of falling over?
Speaker 2: Great question in the sixties, I get yeah, have you ever screamed to anyone? Google me? Motherfucker? If you were to get it last one, if you were to get.
Speaker 4: A statue made of yourself, what pose would it be and where would you put the statue? I would not get a statue made of myself. Can I tell you what Tim Soudy said? He would be astride a stallion naked, astride a stallion with it rearing up, and he would have it in dan Vatory's backyard.
Speaker 2: That's not surprise.
Speaker 1: Any chance we can get the story out of the thing that you killed us bigger than.
Speaker 2: Any I can. We went, we're in We're in some bar.
Speaker 5: I'm not a killer, I'm a lover. And then we're in Zimbabwe and bull away and we went out to Heath Streaks Farm to stay for a night, which was awesome. This was we had been taken over by the government at the time, and so it's a little bit run down, but had all these caves you could sleep in and it.
Speaker 2: Was done up. It was really cool caves. Yeah, man into like apartment type things. Awesome.
Speaker 5: And then the next that night, so all right, we're off shooting. We're going to go shoot here rabbit and wild dogs. Okay, cool, we win in Rome. And then so we went on this ute. We had this this fellic called Daniel who was the spotter, and with the big spotlight.
Speaker 2: Out and everyone was in the tuna is like, carle your turn. Oh great.
Speaker 5: So I jumped on the back of the ute and we spotted these two eyes looking at me and then right, that's a wild dog. Not knock them overky, knock them over. Your beauty all went running down the amp and it wasn't a wild dog. It was a cat caught a serval cat like this with big pointy years. I basically went into the fetal position byself, shake it because I love I said before, I love cats. And then I crawled into the back of the ute just like this, and then so I just felt awful. Daniel Vettory every time he goes to the zoo, he would like take a picture of the serve.
Speaker 2: But the next such an asshole, Such an asshole.
Speaker 5: The next day we wake up Billy and Heath Streek was driving us back to bull Away and the two Marshall idiots.
Speaker 2: In the back with them running through, and I had to.
Speaker 5: Tell Street because he didn't come out with us what happened because the guy, see, you better tell Streaky. And so I'm like very nervous, hearts going how do I deal with this? And then one of the Marshalls boys said, hey, Streaky, have you ever heard of a cat got a serval? Streaky answers, oh, majestic. They're just majestic. They don't come through that often, but when they do, we're just love it. And I'm just dying, just die, because back in the day, I think Americans will fly into Blue Away, pay ten thousand years to go hunt these things down, will take two weeks to try and track one down, and took me two minutes that night, And so I told Streak he is like, oh okay, mate, don't worry about it and got back and Brace has told me I should get it some Texas.
Speaker 2: I'm not walking through the stuff servile.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so to answered that question, okay, yeah, something bigger than an that's the I mean.
Speaker 4: I thought it was I thought it was going to get worse now. I thought Heath Street was going to say it was his pets. Yeah, that he raised from Is that Jimmy.
Speaker 2: Jimmy brilliant?
Speaker 1: Well, thank you very much for coming down to Helenstein's Kyle, enjoy the rest of the T twenty World Cup. I'm sure we'll have you on later on down the track chairs mate, Thank you.
Speaker 3: You have been listening to The acc is a gender podcast brought to you by Export Ultra. For more episodes, like and follow on iHeartRadio. Well of you catch your podcast