Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk sat B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we take it on the pad.
Speaker 3: Now we'll get in. It's entering, it is out, the test is over.
Speaker 2: Couldn't smoke?
Speaker 4: Oh wow, a beauty.
Speaker 2: It is out and here he goes.
Speaker 4: This delivery has un used to Bowl.
Speaker 1: On the Front Foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talks head b A iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Hello on the Front Foot timed out. Kay Williamson retires mid series in England and immediately the debate rages on is he our greatest cricketer? Stokes stumbles to a mid nightclub dismissal. What's the future at the age of thirty five?
Speaker 5: Unfortunately our fielding that us down and it's just a really bad office for as a.
Speaker 3: Bad day at the office cost the White Pans the semi final verse of World t twenty already, goodness, greatest me. We'll discuss that on the Front Foot with Jeremy Coney and Peter Hollands, and you guys were catching up at the Lord's Test. How did the social evening go? Guys?
Speaker 2: It didn't once because of my my stumble in the Netherlands where I was riding a bike back from the train station. Things went pear shape. So we never called.
Speaker 4: No, we didn't. I was I sort of saw motion my mind, hopping his way towards Lords and the game was over so quickly. He didn't make it.
Speaker 3: You would have had to be quick to catch up with each other. It was only last nine hundred and ninety six balls, goodness, greatest me, and they had to advise us that the pitch was unsatisfactory. I think we knew that before the ICC told us, isn't we.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting thing because I was actually at Lord's about two weeks earlier and watching Middlesex Derbyshire, and in fact, I'm gay you got one hundred and that match just by the way. But the wicket didn't seem to be any wine air as treacherous.
Speaker 4: Major.
Speaker 2: It was canty bowlers and it was the second division, if you will, but it didn't seem any winner as treachers. In fact, if anything, it was probably keeping relatively flat and light because it had just come through a period of quite quite decent weather in May. So then to turn up literally two weeks later with that is. That sort of wicket was head scratcher, to say the very least.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what. They used a different technique, And what I can't understand is why did they use not try this new technique before the Test match on a county pitch. We often do this, don't we. They're talking about trialing a p ball, aren't they, at the moment, But give it a decent go before we're surprised by these things. I think personally, they steamed it at two hundred degrees and it kills off all the bugs and all the stuff between the grass. I went out and it actually looked like Jeffrey Boycott's when he put in those new plugs of hair, you know, rounders, and there was nothing in between them, so and that looked That's what the grass looked like. It was an extraordinary looking pitch when you got up close, so I don't know whether that contributed to it or not, but it certainly was up and down and seeming as well, so difficult for the batsman. You couldn't say much about the batting. So we're kind of starting again, aren't we, In the first Test. We're in a couple of days, Yes, indeed, the only.
Speaker 2: Thing that I'm happy for is that we get a couple of bottles, get on the on the honors board and you know Nathan Smith in particular, so I'm very thrilled for them, but it rather cheated spectators at a wonderful venue where everything is literally I mean, it's a great place to go and watch cricket. It just robbed the public a couple of extra days of decent cricket, which everyone should be really disappointed about.
Speaker 4: As Yeah, I spoke to a guy called Rob Lynch, who was you know, on the media night and that sort of thing. He's the guy actually in charge of the groundsman and he came over to me. He was almost he was so apologetic about the surface and you're right, Moose, is such a good lot of things around that you can do around the ground, but that those twenty two yards they are the most critical thing that you can possibly have in the entire ground. They've got a plan for the future. It involves all the trays, you know that we have an en park and bringing them from the nursery ground out to the main ground and then they'll have to embed them of course on a slope on a slight slope, and so that will be pretty tricky how they how they go about that. They're going to have three of them and they're going to use them for two years before they start. So they've got a very interesting couple of years ahead of them about what they're going to do about that Lord's Test.
Speaker 2: Because when you look at the look at lords, the block so called as we used to refer to, it literally goes almost to cross the entire ground, you know, because you know, I guess when they play eaton and harrow they ride out over on the on the left edge or whatever it is. But but it's just how they haven't haven't got that that right, and to do what they did is it's just baffling, you know. And as I said, there's such a wonderful place to watch cricket because you're really close to the close to the action. Everything else side of it is wonderful. It's just a fantastic and I love the nursery ground too when you're there.
Speaker 3: It seemed to be the venue for Cain Williamson's retirement speech, well if you could call it a speech, he announced his retirement, not a Test match, to go out on a Lord's test heavily beaten a poor individual performance by his standards. I guess the retirement wasn't the surprise. The timing of it was the middle of an important series and their announcement was so matter of fact, I'm retiring as of now, that's it gone, and I presume that's the way it is. Jerry's pactice bags.
Speaker 4: And moved on. Yeah, he has. I agree with you slightly about the timing of it. Fantastic player for New Zealand. Yeah, I mean we can talk about that ad nauseum really over a long period. But I was I was a bit maybe maybe I'm just a bit a bit older than our wads, but I and Moose I thought it was sort of new wave speak. And he if he asked every player in the New Zealand cricket squad, none of them, I guarantee you would have said Kane's just clinging on, because those are the words he used. I don't want to stay in this team, clinging on on the team sheet. You know, none of them would say that, or they that he hasn't given the commitment required any longer. You know, basically I would say that they're better off having him there. And I think probably most cricket followers would say that, wouldn't they just just having him round even to say a few words here or there in the changing room to players or assess the conditions or you know, he's he's probably regarded as one of the better players of doing that. So I think he's just good news in the shed anyway, you know. And if he was sitting on the Lord's balcony and suddenly came to a realization, I don't think it's sudden, frankly, when you're thinking about retiring after sixteen years of playing and that he can't do it anymore. You know, if he had just said, look I can't, I'm gone, I'm done, I could understand that. Yet to stay, he was stepping away knowing he was still worth his place in the team, rather than clinging on. Those were his actual words, you know. And Ian it was very low key when he invited the press and you know, a cup of tea, come and have a cup of coffee and a chat and a couple of custard creams with me. You know, it was that was what it was. That was the tone. But no one thought or felt, you know that he was clinging on at all. I mean, if you look at the way he has been doing things. Didn't sign a twenty twenty four contract, He's missed other international series. You know, didn't play against India when they won three nil, didn't play against Zimbabwe, and you know that he pulled out of T twenty cricket, and he has been the last two months and a you know, advisor to LSG and the IPL. These are all things that's saying he's moving on, and that's absolutely fine. No one was really angry about that. I just felt after saying, yep, I'm going to play the three Tests in England. Why pull out after the first one You've only got two weeks to go, two weeks after sixteen years. I don't know what you guys feel about all that, but I just felt he didn't need to do it. Frankly, if he cares so much about the team, which is what he says, I care greatly about this team, then out your play out your last two weeks.
Speaker 2: I would say that what he wasn't doing, he wasn't doing a Saudi and and and on a job interview tour as as Soudy was back in back when the England were out here a few years ago by any stretch of the margin. And that's not his style either, but I I mean there was in that second innings there was a bit of vintage Williamson where he puts one of the quick backward a point with you know, with time and the grace that we we we grow grew to admire him enormously and and ge was you know, I thought, oh you look good there. Yeah, you had time. Maybe it was just a fact of the fact that he was just got out, he eling got smashed, he's feeling abouit flat, and then made a rather hasty decision which you can't you can't walk back, but pulling all that to one side. And I don't want to pick pick winners and lose us here. But he's got to be go down there as one of our one of our greatest, without any alongside M. D. Crow and Jay Handley, you know, and the rest of second Yeah, between them, if you're a fair point.
Speaker 3: And he's left us with a lot of memories and those we can look at at some point in the future because it's been a real moment of reflection for a lot of people, and remembering some of his very best innings. I just remember the joy of winning that World Test Championship and he and Ross Taylor were out in the middle together, yes, and they won that game, you know, and they were only innings of what forty forty five or forty nine and fifty two I think were the titles that he scored. But I was lucky enough to see his first Test innings. He scored one hundred in arm and Abad and that just confirmed that he was going to be a star of the future when that happened, and you know, he was a good player. And we might just reflect on some of those innings on a future program because he's left us with a lot of those memories. My real question now is his replacement.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: They've had replacements for him in the past, because, as you said, Jerry, he's been unavailable, he's been injured. Who's going to get that role? Is it Rutch and Ravender? Is it his time to step up? Or is it going to be either Nichols or Young who? I guess it has to be Nichols because he was chosen ahead of Young for this tour party.
Speaker 4: Jerry, Well, I agree with you in the sense you haven't mentioned Ravendra. I don't think he's four, sorry three. I think he's more of a four and that's where he should stay. He's more of an aggression player and rather than the defensively oriented player. Really, if he tries to play defensively, he tends to get caught in the slips, doesn't he to Nickoff? So I think he's four and you you know you mentioned the two that it's between. I don't know. The team hasn't been announced yet, Fellas, so I don't know who it's going to be. I know that you know Young has batted three more recently for New Zealand. Nichols has tended to be more four or five six that kind of area, although he has played three for Canterbury, hasn't he So I'm not sure what they'll do there. Personally I would plump for Young, but whether they feel the same way, I have no idea. And I'm only plumping for Young because I've seen him bat at three. I've seen him handle things. He hasn't scored lots of runs yet, but Nora is Latham and you could say Naura has you know, Conway scored lots recently? Have they? They're not that that's our problem at the moment. Those top three are our problem. We've got to get and protect that middle order so they are able to score the runs well.
Speaker 2: On that point, and middle order hasn't been and and and the greatest of shape Mitchell after you know, a wonderful time a few years ago, hasn't really been producing the runs that we were hoping of them either. So there's there's there's a lack of form pretty much through that through through the batting order. And to see no one they're particularly standing up. And as you say, Ravendra does neck out and unless he gets settled in. So I'd rather see him at four or five. And I think that that that whole whole view around your best batter bats at three is something of the past. I don't see that anymore. And therefore I think for those for that sort of reason, I think Revendro stays where he is, but we need to get more out. I'm with you, Jerry. I'd rather see Young, but I think they'll go with old mate Harvey Nichols from from Kensington.
Speaker 3: Well, I would I go for Young strangely because he's a right hander. If we bring Nicholson, then we've got four left handers. Does that? Does that make a point.
Speaker 2: Very much?
Speaker 4: The final numbers, certainly it does. I think you've got to break You've got to break them up as much as possible, at least force the bowl to either change the side they bowl or bowl a different line.
Speaker 3: Can I bring another point in as well? What it was heard during the Test match that the suggestion is that Phillips should come up higher in the order. I don't see him as a three, but should he be higher.
Speaker 2: In the order swep him with bundle?
Speaker 4: Well, you can't go you suggesting he comes up to where it was not just up to six. You're saying, or you're going to go push him further up.
Speaker 3: Well no, I don't think you can push him further up unless you want to push Saint Mitchell down one more. But he's been the key run getter in the past. Lett alone the failures of that Test match, but I don't think we got the best out of Phillips because he was batting with the tail all the way through. I know you have to do that, but he was probably the most effective run scorer apart from Jamison's baseball play in that testment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I pushed a little bit for him to be elevated, but that was only because of the conditions on the surface. When you're losing a wicket every four four overs, twenty five balls something like that, you need to obviously maximize the number of runs you can possibly score before the ball comes along with your name on it. So I was keen to elevate him as a possibility to be a bit more aggressive. You had to be a wee bit more aggressive on that particular pitch in order to break the bowler's line up. Particularly the one time we did that was when Jamison was batting in the first innings. Yes, he did slog a bit, but what it brought about was a short pitched attack. If you saw that, and and on a pitch that was bringing this you know, LBWs in bold and the stumps into play so much when they went to a short pitched attack, that was taken completely out of play. So I thought that Jamison did a good job there and we got a little look at how you might play, and Brooke did it as well to a certain extent for England. And if we had bought him, you know, then it was the catchers that really cost us in that match.
Speaker 2: I think a number of factors. I agree with that. But Jamison was good because he took them, he took them off off that dangerous length and it was, I mean good on them and and I suppose that's why we're betting betting deeper down. Thought again, Smith was showed show good form on a difficult wicket and got out to a couple of good ones, which, ye as you said, Jery, there was always going to be one with your name on it. But I was quite heartened by those two down down the bottom of the not least of which they're bowling, of course. But I think you're right because I don't think Blundle, although we've got that big hundred against Ireland, I think i'd rather see him down at seven and maybe Phillips because he seems to be in reasonable neck, so i'd be pushing him up as you suggested. And good point on that call around Young was I think you've got to break that up and have having having a right handed coming in at three I think is a smart move against what will be quite a different attack this time at the Oval.
Speaker 3: Well what are they going to have?
Speaker 2: Jerry?
Speaker 3: You know these players more than I do, Baker. People were saying, you know Baker, who or what, I don't even know what is first? Naghbor Is and Cox, Jordan Cox, Fisher and Archer. That's a hell of a replacement list.
Speaker 4: Yeah, completely different bowling lineup that Archer will be okay it, but the question will be for how long and he'll probably open the bowling maybe even with tongue. Fisher is from from the Oval. He plays for Surrey. He's played one Test already, Baker hasn't played any So Sonny Baker quickish swings it away from the right handed the same as Archer does. So that doesn't in a way make sense to me. You want a difference, don't you so whether he will be held back to come in after Archer and then Fisher is probably the only number three. The tongue is a dangerous bowler wherever he bowls, Guys, he's difficult. Just don't forget. If our top order do their job, runs are possible at the Oval. I know there are only four day games the County Championship, but when they've played this year, they've played four games there. Surrey Surrey five twenty, Leicestershire's six ninety one, Surrey two sixty three for two end of game draw Essex Essex four hundred and nine Surrey four seventy two, Essex three hundred and two draw, end of game. You know, in the last game Hampshire Surrey four twenty one, Hampshire were one thirty one seventy three for six and made three hundred and thirty three and two ninety five for five end of game draw. The only result they've had there is against Sussex, who who was something like eighty two for seven and then the number eight and number ten got hundreds. They made three fifty eight for nine Surrey six hundred and twenty two. You can see what I'm saying, can't you. Yeah, runs are possible run so that basically what I'm saying is taking twenty wickets on this ground is difficult in four days. We'll just have to wait and see about five. So hold your catchers in conditions where it's hard to take wickets. They will be critical. Get your depths right from the batsman. Second runs are there if you bat sensibly, if you win the toss, you will find that. Guys. When you look tomorrow, I'm expecting it to be pretty green because the bounce hasn't been there and therefore they will supply grass as a possibility to give the bowlers something very few overs of spin and little help for the slower bowler. So those are the kind of things I think. If your top order do the job and don't get out, three four hundred is possible and beyond.
Speaker 3: So does that mean we include Santana?
Speaker 4: Well that's something. Well who four was is?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: I suppose that's what I'm thinking, because the seamers, unless it's Henry, I don't know how fit he is. He has trained with the side, but you know you wouldn't drop him as such. But you know England have gone in without spinners. They're going to rely on the Bethel and Root as their spinners in the Test match. So is it going to be seen VCM again?
Speaker 4: It will be for Seamas, I would say. And so who would you drop anyway? If Henry is fit and he started okay, he wasn't quite the same when he was came back from the back spasm bold a few overs, the got the sort of the worm burner through and got Bethel out, but he looked to be he didn't look to be his back causing him real problems to me, and he's had what nine days something like that to get get it right. Let's hope that is right. If it is, he will play. O'Rourke will play. I thought he looked the dangerous but most dangerous for New Zealand. Jamison swings it. Well done him getting the wickets in the first innings and then Smith and the second innings. I don't know which of those you would drop. Might be even Jamison if you wanted Sentina for the batting, I don't know. But Smith can bat. It's just a question of you know, those other batsmen ahead of him, seeing a lot of the of the you know, the aggression out of the English bowlers.
Speaker 3: Well then New Zealand will just have to do what England are doing and it'll be Phillip's revender if they need spin on the deck, I suppose correct. Yeah, so an interesting.
Speaker 4: Well, look I think the I think the captain is an interesting one too, isn't it. Let's just imagine Joe Root, who's on you know, he's he's had a few days, he's out playing a bit of golf and that sort of thing, and he's on the par three's and he's pulling out his five iron and Bes rings him on the phone. McCullum rings him on the for Joe, Joe, we love you, you know where we're always grateful, You're always so nice. I don't really want to make you know the shot more difficult for you, but please, you know, could you just give us five days? Well we didn't even get that long in the first test, did we, Joe, Joe, name your price.
Speaker 2: Boy.
Speaker 4: You know we're in a spot of bother. We know Stokes, he's gone and he's been banned. We can't go with Harry because you know he was the cause of the curfew in the first place. You know, you can just imagine the press asking him a question. You know what an irony, Harry. You know you were under the weather in New Zealand for a few hours before or an od I and here, yeah, captain, and you were the reason for the curfew in the first place. Well, dear me. And then of course they look at the County Championship and come up and who's another captain and the team Ollie Robinson for Sussex. Well, let's be honest, he's injured and not on the radar. Then you go to Jacob Bethel he's a long term prospect. But really he was alongside Harry and Josh and New Zealand on the nightclub incident, so we can't ask him then. It really is quite a joke. And then there's Ben, you know, Ben Duckett, but he had a trouble and looser finding his way home. What about Joffra? Joffra of course hasn't played for about five months. Joe, Joe, name your price? Do you want a house? You know? I mean really they had no other option in the entire eleven that they could ask. I don't know, you know, just do it for three days, Joe, you'll be fine.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of tongue in check there, Jerry. But well there is, of course there was. It's hard not to it's hard not to rebut that, frankly is it, because that's where they are and it's what I find so remarkable though it is in the space of that after that test we'll have a test team from England which is almost unrecognizable from the one that they went out, and what does at Lord's or possibly Robinson gone by the way. I think that's that's that's I thought he was very very very good, albeit on a very helpful wicked But you when you had ham out your archer who's been basically on leave and you know, for some reason couldn't be around for the first test at Lord's. So he hasn't got overs in him, has he? So if it's one of those flat decks at the Oval, Jerry, I wonder how many how many spells are you going to get out of him? Then you've got some debutantes coming in there, and that's that's always pretty interesting. So all of a sudden, I you know, New Zealand should be backing themselves in here, far from feeling a little bit sort of under the weather, having been beaten so comprehensively. It's a really interesting prospect coming up.
Speaker 3: Really, My only question is Jerry, why was he playing a five iron on a par three.
Speaker 4: It's a long part and he's not and he doesn't have to drop his trousers if he doesn't reach the lady's tea once, so you'll be he'll be okay, don't worry about. That's the rules have most and poor old Wads would be out there luckily about sort of quarter to six in the morning. No one around Wads is about to drop his trousers to play his second and on coome all the sprinklers.
Speaker 3: That sounds like taraniki.
Speaker 4: Oh dear, what I had about five or six teams you could possibly play for England with a Smith. Smith is another little question mark because his second child is due and if he doesn't play, then you might find rou who's a keeper using as a batsman to play at six and then clocks as another batsman and he would be the keeper for that in that case. So there are still a couple of questions. At the latest moment, we could have Smith's unavailable as well.
Speaker 2: See that that's where its an extra bit of there, doesn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does.
Speaker 3: Yep, we'll have to wait and see. It's not too far away. So they've confirmed their eleven, but that might change still And just before we go, there's a bit of Ben Stokes still to be discussed and I guess that will be for the future woned in terms of Stokes's position in the England side.
Speaker 4: Jerry McCallum had a talk to the media today and he said I'm worried about Ben and he said no more and I think that that's fine. But there's a part for me that is missing, and the part that was missing was, of course we're all worried, you know, they're worried about him. How's he feeling. He has been practicing with Durham, so it looks as though he might play, and he's keen to send that message. But really the whole thing was Ben's our captain. He is our captain. He's been that for the last four years. We're looking forward to him coming back in Trent at trent Bridge and all that kind of line of thinking to reassure Ben Stokes even though his performances are falling slightly with the bat in particular, he didn't bowl many overs at Lord's. You know they had enough bowling anyway, didn't they. But look, I just think it's not a way to treat someone who actually is the best captain they've got at the moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a very interesting situation that they are in. He's thirty five years of age. How much longer has he got playing wise? But he's still the best captain they have available.
Speaker 2: Brian Waddle, Jeremy Coney on the front foot.
Speaker 3: We finish off this week with the white Ferns and the message that I suppose Jerry gave a little bit earlier about the Black Caps making their catchers count, well, it could be the same for the White Ferns. They won't make the semi final of the World T twenty unless they learned to catch. Maddie Green says it was obvious where they went wrong in the game against the West Indies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, I thought, you know, we put a competitive total on the board and unfortunately our fielding let us down. It was just a really bad the office for the group. But you know, we've got no choice but to move on really quickly and obviously address a couple of things leading into the next game. But look, just one of those days that just yeah, it didn't happen to go away, and you know, we're really disappointed as a group. We set really high standards for ourselves in the field, and yeah, it was really disappointing. But you know, I think I look back to the last two twenty World Cup and you know we fielded. We're probably one of the best fielding sides in that tournam so we know it's there. It's just, as I said, a really bad day at the office and we've got to move on quickly. Yeah, I think it's about just trying to move on really quickly and focus on the next four and you know, easier said than done sometimes obviously. But here Lock dropped one of my own early on against Hailey, and everyone out there today on both sides has drop catches over their career, and we'll probably drop more unfortunately, that's just how the game goes. But yeah, we sit really high centers for ourselves and we just got to move on quickly.
Speaker 3: West Indies was a key fixture on their path to the SEMIS. Can't see them beating England, which is what they'll need to make the top two. The next game is against Sri Lanka. Then they've got Island, Scotland and England and they have a net run rate of minus zero point one eight. Now I'll have to improve that as well.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: It's very obvious what they did wrong, wasn't it. Yeah, well we'll all say the same thing't we Just a dreadful, costly day fielding, something you can get right if you work hard edits Yeah, and now they've put them in a position they've got to beat England basically, unless, of course, the Western does lose some other matches. If the Western dis go through and lose to England.
Speaker 3: That's through and that's a lot for another edition of On the Front Foot. We will be back after the Oval Test Match, and of course we'll also be able to reflect more on our White Ferns as well because they've got a game coming up against the Sri Lanka then Ireland and the net run rate needs to be improved as well. Thanks guys, I hope you get good sleep. I've got the bed set up on the lounge to watch the Test match, so I'll be lying there nodding off at odd times in dull periods of play.
Speaker 2: Should I shall be coming in watching watching the YouTube version and seeing Jerry live. It's always in the absolute treat, so I can't wait for that.
Speaker 4: I keep forgetting that they've got the camera on, so I have to stop my finger to going as it was going up to Minos. I hope the girls can hold onto a catch, it'll be excellent. I hope that they can kick their shape to hit the ball over the mid off or they summarting.
Speaker 1: Do for more from News Talks at b listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio,