Speaker 1: You're listening to the Marcus lush Night's podcast from Newstalk ZEDB.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Welcome, hope you good. My name is Marcus. Here till twelve tonight. I hope things are good in your district. Who calls them districts? So that movie District nine. Remember that was a weird one. Welcome here till twelve. I hope you're good. If you're not good, I hope you're better by the time twelve o'clock rolls around. I talk, you talk, we talk, we talk back at you. Oh, eight hundred and eighty ten eighty. If you want to text, that's nine two nine to. If you've got an email, you can Marcus at NEWSTALKZB dot co dot m Z. He had to stop there for a second. I was giving out my private email. But that's not that exciting. Hey, they're the only way was ways ready to get in touch. I'm sure there's a fax machine floating around somewhere. I don't know if that works. Who uses facts is probably crims A because you can't decode it. Also, if you want to call from overseas, if you text us, we'll call you back and we can WhatsApp you. We've never done that yet. Yes we can, and be very clear. Sounds like you have talking in my ear right next to me. That's right. You can WhatsApp in your ear. But you got a text and we'll call you back. We can do WhatsApp love WhatsApp anyway, do get in touched you on talk. My name is Macashaded twelve. Now something slightly different tonight, and I don't necessarily know how well it's going to go, and that's fine. Often topic wise, these discussions are a leap into the void and the unknown. However, so here's what I'm thinking about. Someone rung up and asked me how long I've been on the show for and I can't know. It's last night, and I can't remember. It must be almost a decade. It's gone very fast, and so gone very slightly depends. But what I do remember is that when I first came and took this job on, one of the real big topics that dominated for the first couple of weeks was the flag referendum, and then it'd be announced in twenty fourteen when John Key came to power and he said there's going to be a flag referendum, and then in twenty fifteen, which is ten years ago. At the end of twenty fifteen, we had the referendum on the four choices of the flags. I'm pretty sure this is how it goes. It was a bit like the America's Cup. But we voted on the four and then they had the one that looked like the weak big spox that went up against the original flag, the one we have, and then we voted on that. And if my memory serves me right, and all memory is different, we can only remember what we actually experienced at the time. It seemed to me that there was a mood for change. However, that mood for change did not get behind one of the flags, because they were all kind of okay, but not a slam dunk. Because for a while there was a fifth flag, which was Red Peak, which was a trial and if I thought Red Peak would be the one, and that was ten years ago, and even went on about how much it costs twenty six million in the scheme of things, It probably wasn't that much money, but those things stick huge amount. It for money for a bit of a personal vanity project. And I remember doing talkback the night the referendum came out and people loved the wheatbox packet one, the blue and white and the silver fur. They said they would be carrying that. They thought there was a sense that that would become the day facto New Zealand flag, that people would take that because the Australian flag, the New Zealand flag was too similar. I needed that to distinguish from the others. Anyway, my question to you is it a question. It's ten years down the track, how are we feeling about it. I'm not hearing anyone wanting to change the flag. Did what that whole thing proved that we quite like our old flag? Is that what it proved. I'm just kind of curious to know where you have settled with this ten years on, because there was a huge amount of strong feeling about it. You do talk back, people bring up and say, oh hi, Marcus, I'm a vex psychologist. I'm a vexiologist. I study flags, and there's all sorts of misinformation and pomposity, and people told us how terrible our flag was, and all these things happened, and basically or a huge amount of concern, argument opinion was passed over. When I passed over, was passed forth and people discussed this it greatly. Nothing changed, But did it change? Did we through all that become more accepting of the flag we've got and more at peace with it? Or do we still want another go at it? Is that? I guess that's what I'm really angling for. Now. Is the time now right to say, Okay, let's chuck it in the mix, we want to give it a go, we want something different. I'm not saying there aren't other issues that are important or more important, but I'm saying a decent length of time has gone a decade, is it time now to reconsider that? Because probably the way to do it would come up with a really good alternative and pump it and take it to the parties and say, hey, we think this is the idea. Can we see if this could be considered? So yeah, there you go. It's ten years on from the flag referendum, give or take a couple of months, although it happened in two tronches, two parts. What do you reckon? Are you quite happy with the one you've got?
Speaker 3: Or?
Speaker 2: Because I mean, the lot's changed in the last ten years. A lot has changed. We've gone forwards, we've gone backwards, We've gone sideways. But yeah, I'm just asking you the state of the nation. If you are now quite content with it? Was it a situation that people were quite intent of it until they're offered a sense of a change, and then in fact people started breaking bad in all directions and saying, oh, we need this because we get confused at the football. I think anyone's ever been really confused. So yes, so if we went about changing, how would we go about it this time? Because that way with a panel that came up with those four things, it seems as though they just happened with four things that they thought John Key would like because they'd double down on the silver fern. So yes, if you've got an opinion about that, I'd like to hear from you. My name is Marcus. Welcome, Oh eight hundred and eighty Taddy and nine to text. What have you got? Do you want it? Or is it as it passed? Because they said it would be a twenty year once in a twenty year chance to change your flag, We're halfway there. Yes, a lot of people to it. The laser KEI we also and that was the one that's probably still out there from time to time. You see that around you think, oh well, that's the one of course with the Kiwi with the laser coming out of its eyes. What's your thoughts? People? A textas says, I think the Kyle lock Would silver silver fan flu was sorry. I think the Kyle Lockwood silver fan flag was close to perfect. However, the reason why it didn't come in was that whilst it had the silver fan and the stars on it, it did not have the Union jack. And that's the one that became sort of widely accept as the wheatbex Box because it looked just like it with a fan and the diagonal. Marcus, I went to a nassy bar in Thailand. It was full of New Zealand flags. Ops, Marcus, we just make Australia change their flag. Is there a problem there anyway? We should change to fern with black and blue. Think the context was that be that stage JK was not popular and it was more finger to him. I thought John Key was very popular then, wasn't he. I mean the probably criticism of John Key is that he did not use his political capital to create greater change in society. Because the flag things seem quite miniscual. He didn't manage to get that over the line anyway, Marcus and his in flag is great how it is, leave it alone. Would love to change the anthem though, chairs Gill. So I'm just asking you not about the anthem because it would be a trojan horse type thing, but are you happy with the flag? It's been ten years. I'd never thought about it till today. I thought, hang about it's been ten years. Should we give this one another go? To change someone? So I could literally run the idea up the flagpole and I might be doing that. So, yeah, give us a call. What do you think? Is it something that now you're thinking about it, you've got appetite to give another go, or you're sick to tired of it, sick and tired, sick and tired looking forward to your opinion. Eight hundred and eighty ten eighty nine text. By the way, just so I can tell you, the nationwide test of the emergency mobile alert system is back on. It's going to be twenty fifth of May between six and seven pm. That's good. At least it's not doing it during the chase there would get people upset. But you're looking forward to your calls on the flag. It's almost like nostalgia talk about going to the topics of old Brian will kick off with you. Good evening, it's Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 4: Hey Marcus.
Speaker 5: I look, it's funny that the flag things always niggled me a bit, but I really feel that we need a flag that actually is clearly and definitively New Zealand. And as much as I love the old you know, r S a sort of slurting flag and all the rest of it, I think our flag just just just disappears into the wilderness, to be honest.
Speaker 2: So you think you think there is a I'll come back to what you say, you think there is an appetite for change, Well, a lot of.
Speaker 5: People I talk to say that. I mean, you know, we don't we obviously not something you talk about every day, but every now and then it comes up and and and yeah, a lot of people I talked to you say, well, you know that is that our flag is the Australian flag for a start, because that I can hardly get the difference, and the other colors, the colors and the sort of formula of the flags are quite quite you know, throughout the old Commonwealth. Now they're still they're still I can't I couldn't even tell you how our flag looked to be honest, I couldn't even actually I've got a rough but but you know, we need something that actually clearly defines New Zealand. I'm not saying silber feeling like the or blecks or whatever, but but there's got to be some sort of combination of all the things that define us, you know. And I don't have any problem with changing it at all, to be.
Speaker 2: Honest, Okay, really fair opinion, Brian, thank you for that. The great example, of course Canada and Japan. I think Canada that's quite quickly. Japan I'm not so sure about, but great both great flags, striking, striking, red and white of course too. Aaron Marcus, welcome, Oh good a mate, how are you? Yeah? Good things, mate, good good.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I'm just about the flags.
Speaker 8: I'm not quite sure if we shall expend some energy on this canding of the flag stuff. I just think we've had the flag for so long now, and I'm trying to former out one I was going to say, but we've always looked here, We've always looked under the flag, and it doesn't really matter how we identify as or who we are. It's just our flag and that's how we should always sort of well, well I think how I think we should always live under it.
Speaker 2: So do you think when we had the referendum? Now then people have become more committed to the old flag because they voted for it and they fail. Okay, that's that we've had our chance. Actually, this flag's pretty good. Is that you reckon what people kind of came into that whole process thinking.
Speaker 8: Well, I sort of think that. Well, to be honest, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: It doesn't spin my wheels. But none of the new designs did either.
Speaker 8: No, No, none of the new designs did either. But if you're going to make a flag or build a new flag for New Zealand, I don't think there's anything better than what we've got to be asked with.
Speaker 2: You, okay, because a lot of those a lot of the people that for the Commonwealth had the Union and they got rid of Union Jackson got their own flag. As they became independent and kind of fought their own way in the world, they ditched it. You know, it's sort of sort of growing up. I think that's sort of what people said.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I get that kind of sentiment, and I don't understand that, but yeah, I mean again, integrate a new flag like that red flag thing was awful?
Speaker 2: Which one?
Speaker 8: But yeah, what was it called Mountain Peak?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, No, John Key didn't do that one. Red Peak. Red Peak was a late bolter. And then he just said, which I thought was quite fair. Let's put that in as well.
Speaker 8: Oh okay, there was four of them.
Speaker 2: There was four of them, most designed by the same guy. That involved a union diagonal silver fear on the diagonal, right.
Speaker 8: I just think debating the flag now is pretty sort of I don't know, it's superfluous considered what we've got to do with a country.
Speaker 2: Although I think you can country is a country. You can deal with more than one thing at once.
Speaker 8: Well, we think at what we've got going on at the moment, and there's a lot more things to worry about.
Speaker 9: The design about it.
Speaker 2: You can said about anything. I know, I get that, and I see they've done that in South and with the with the right Yeah, no, yeah, okay, I'm trying to remain neutral on this. Adrian Marcus, welcome, Hey there. How are you good to hear from you? Adrian Dances You're on. I got a busy life going on.
Speaker 10: What are you doing, just picking up some dinner?
Speaker 2: Oh good, go yeah, what is it for? Young?
Speaker 11: Close?
Speaker 12: Very close?
Speaker 13: Good guess lame drass mate?
Speaker 2: What's what's the first word?
Speaker 11: Lamber drass mate?
Speaker 13: See lamb okay, lamb you know lamb madrass?
Speaker 9: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 13: You can get like you're creamier versions like lamb coorma, but lamb madrass is more coconut, a bit more heat.
Speaker 7: See.
Speaker 2: Look, look how internationally we are as a country. Now. We're still with the Union jack on the flag. You with your lamb address and the flag still with the Union jack.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Well actually so so I'll hit the ball. I'll get the ball rolling.
Speaker 10: Eh.
Speaker 13: So a couple of points. I wanted to mention because I can go back to my thoughts on what that other guy said about how important it is and stuff like that. But I'll come back around to that, Okase. I'll start with with the I just thought it caught my attention to thought, oh why did we do that in the first plason? I remember I read a book called Into the Jaws of the Dragon by Ron Asher. I don't know if you've ever heard about it, heard of it. It talked a lot about the expansion of the Chinese into the into the into the fishing, into the Pacific and things like that. And I noticed, I remembered in that book there was a section about don't quote me on which guy it was, but it was like either the Consulate of the Chinese, whatever you call it China, or some other trade minister or something like that. John Key had a meeting with and they invested a very large amount of money into into funding the flag referendum.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't think that's I don't think that's true, Adrian.
Speaker 13: Oh, well, it was in the book and they had something some photos of it, and but the giveaway was how much they invested into it. So the fact that they invested so much into the referendum meant that everybody had to go through that and D D D.
Speaker 2: I think it was very clear that money that the government, the money came from the I mean, he was a prime minister. It was it was government money that funded the referendum. There's no doubt about that. But anyway, just yeah, well it's a good call because it just shows how contiporori the whole thing was. But you appreciate that. Into the jewels in the Jaws of the Dragons the book, guys, not what I've read. He's done on stock at page black while looking at Google, Steve Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 15: Hey Marcus. I'm just on the play thing. I drove for a trucking company and I turned up for work and here they were sticking.
Speaker 11: Was it a blue and black there was the favorite?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so blue. Yeah, yes, yeah, I.
Speaker 15: Half blue and half black.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Well here they here, they were sticking on the back of my trailer. And there's a stick you know, it's a sticker and the mountain of abuse. So I got from people driving up and down the road. Oh yeah, I'm getting the fingers, people yelling in the out of the window because they didn't like it.
Speaker 13: A lot of people didn't like.
Speaker 15: Their I hit it on there for three months on the back of the truck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the four, the four, the four ones. Was there a black and white codrou just you know, one side white, one side black with the collar. The one was just black and white with the four in the whole way. So three of them are pretty much the same, with the furn going on the diagonal one with black and blue and black.
Speaker 15: And yeah, yeah, I know half of it was much a light blue issue. You might have been white actually, but yeah, I didn't like it.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that the punters didn't like it, Stephen, they're tooting at you. I'm looking at the Wikipedia page about the flag referendums. I think most people were found the whole thing extremely confusing. The first referendum took place twentieth November eleventh December. If New Zealand flag changes, which flag would you prefer? Voters were presented with several options selected by the Flag Consideration Panel. The black, white and blue silver fern flag by Kyle Lockwood advanced to the second referendum. The second referendum took place between the third and the twenty fourth of March. At aspos it should been the sleek little turn of the black, white and blue silver flag and the existing New Zealand flag. So yeah, that's a situation. But even the Wikipedia page is confusing. Good evening, Glennet's Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 16: Good evening. Yeah, I've been an advocate of changing the flag for some time because I feel that we are a sovereign nation in the South Pacific and we need something that I clearly identified as New Zealand. Al tier. I'll call it what you like, um, and I think it's time to sack the jack. New Zealand has been an independent nation cease being at the William of the British Empire over seventy years ago, and it is time really, So I don't really show any tritem in New Zealand flavor.
Speaker 2: So just look. I mean, I like the expression to sack the jack. Have you moved on since the referenum ten years ago? Or did you have these feelings ten years ago?
Speaker 16: Or have you just yeah, I've had those feelings about for about twenty years or so. I haven't traveled a fair.
Speaker 2: But okay, so were you happy? So were you happy with the process or did that drive You're mad that they wasted that opportunity.
Speaker 16: With such Yeah, I could see how the process confused people and infuriated people. I quite like did like the the sort of term the Lockwood design flag. Although if we do it again, I think it would be great to have big mixologists in a national a national competition perhaps to see who could have created well.
Speaker 2: I think we needed good designers because it seemed to me to actually put your things and you just had to go to clunky software, which meant that all of them kind of looked the same. Yeah, and I think it should have been a so it should have been an online exercise. It should have actually required design. Maybe you need to pay designers big dollars to come up with something really good rather than hobbyists coming up with something that looks like packaging.
Speaker 16: Yeah, but it would have to reflect the fact that the fact that we're a sovereign nation in the South Pacific.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sometimes what you know, when you say sovereign nation, what do you mean by that?
Speaker 16: A nation that is an independent nation where where we're not part of the British Empire or colonized by the British. Obviously, we are an independent nation in the South specific.
Speaker 2: So the government, the government has supreme authority. Yeah, okay, fair enough.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean even though we are a common rough nation, many other commons not rough nations, have changed their flags or individu nations. I know the older generation will have strong ties to Britain, perhaps the appearance of British or what have you, But I think future generations won't have so much about of the bond to the UK.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I find what you're saying quite interesting. I'm just wondering though, after that, after after we kind of lead all that hot air out ten years ago, that maybe people aren't as committed to change as they went through and just think, oh, well, you know, we tried, we failed, let's just relax about it. But you seem as that you're still quite passionate.
Speaker 16: I'm quite passionate. Although it's not high on the sapriiti, I'm still quite passionate. I'm still welcome to change.
Speaker 2: Because I thought what would happen is that someone would design a fantastic fleat that would just start seeing it more and more and that would be adept adopted. I haven't seen that happen so much, obviously.
Speaker 16: Wondered, Yeah, just at the time John Key was in twenty sixteen he resigned from the Prime ministership. I just wonder at that stage where the people had had enough of John Key, whether it was a the result was perhaps the big finger to John Key. They saw it more of the sales or marketing exercise there might have been that might have been part of it as well.
Speaker 2: I think he would have got back in, wouldn't he.
Speaker 16: I don't know. Well, he did resign at the end of twenty sixteen from men.
Speaker 2: And I think per English, you know, if he'd run a decent camp, you know, he was assuring to get back in, but it just wasn't quite Yeah, okay, well, of course remember that peril English. Winston went with the Labor government. That was that's right, a minority. They'd pold less than national anyway, So yeah, and that was about who knows why Winston what Winston did, But yeah, I think probably he would have got on that fourth term, although probably would have said he wouldn't work with Winston. Is that right? Anyway, I'm enjoying the discussion, like talk back Nostalgia Evening, Martin, This is Marcus.
Speaker 14: Welcome, Hello Marcus.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I'm as swimming about the flagg Refferendom. I mean when it came up, all the designs that came out, I didn't really fency any of them. I really like to say we've got but I think the only difference we could probably do to it is either put a Kiwi on it or the corow to make it, you know, New Zealand and Mary well Paquira Mary or English Mary. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I sometimes I'm just thinking of flags that have flags with the Union. Jack and something else I reckon they always look a bit bitsy.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I mean, as I said, yeah, I'm very happy for I mean one of the main regions that Grismine game position. People get confused for the new zoom fag and you show you played, Yes, yeah, you're showing flags union jack and six stars where the union jack and five ridge stars.
Speaker 2: Yes, just look at all the flags that got the ones that still include the union jack. Yeah. This is the Hawaii I think it's the Hawaiian flag.
Speaker 18: Hawaii straight, yeah, Hawaii.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Falkland, Falklands. The Cook Islands kind of has a flag and a crest that.
Speaker 18: Looks like the Fijis got his.
Speaker 2: Fiji. Yes, Fiji's got the crest and the union jack, which looks a bit clunky to me, so does the Newaiian one. Is just it's interesting union jacks has got stars. That's actually quite good, the Newaiian one, the island. But they all the sort of countries that are tex havens, like the can and that year.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Yeah, that's that's that is my viewing.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, that's good, and I didn't.
Speaker 18: Really like any of them. The only thing that can make it so that the Marora's not, but you know, the natives of new generally be heavy would be put a kiwi or the coral leaf on it, or or even the silver fin, just to make it stand out.
Speaker 2: Interesting. In the Wikipedia page, it's got the the way people voted and according to I'll just see where the there are details. Yeah, so it's a very confusing. So I tried to say something didn't really come out, but there is. You can see according to whether the moldiest seats or other seats, how people voted on the flag referendum. But it's quite confusing. But I think looking at it, Muori traditionally voted for the flag that we've got rather than the new one, so they were quite conservative with the choice. That's my understanding from the diagrams i'm looking at. I hope I'm not wrong about that. I've asked GPT to design a flag and it's terrible. It's just a fern and three it was even three stars. Say we're going to ask a design a bit of flag without without a fern and stars and actually say we're about to just actually unplug you. Good evening, Josh, it's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Hey, Marcus. Good evening.
Speaker 2: Good evening here those flags.
Speaker 12: Yeah, what a time there was. Hey look I reckon, I reckon, but hey, I reckon. One of the coolest things that came out of that was that labe the key.
Speaker 2: We loved it.
Speaker 12: Did you hear the story behind that? The kid explained today. I think it was eight year old, and he explained it along the line. So he said, the key We doesn't want a new flag. So he's developed laser out of his eyeballs and he's shooting.
Speaker 19: At the bottom of the new flag. So when he's sort of aiming down there, and that's sort of what it represents that he he didn't want any new flag kind of thing. I thought that was hilarious. So I just it wasn't an option obviously because it.
Speaker 12: Was a bit too inventive.
Speaker 2: But hey, I got to say to you, Josh, and this is important. It was designed by a woman, Lucy Gray.
Speaker 12: Oh.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was a girl or an adult, but that's what it says on Wikipedia. The laser key We flag, originally titled Fire the Laser, was designed in twenty fifteen by Lucy Gray. She produced the design during an evening inspired by the many Dearly Animals in Australia took a key wei icon and turned it into a dearly animal. She stated she was uninspired by the designs is they didn't derive much meaning for her.
Speaker 12: Okay, it doesn't say age or anything.
Speaker 11: Maybe it says a character.
Speaker 2: She says, I believe my design is so powerful it does not need to be discussed.
Speaker 20: A pretty good but I you know, I voted for our just infect and the reason why I've done that is not only the other one sent her, but like, I think they were looking for perfection.
Speaker 2: They were cold and they were just just good design is good design. You can't just do it on your laptop of an evening.
Speaker 12: I do think there are two things that need to be on there and channel, and I had done my own design anyway, just for fun back then, because we're all like playing around. But the silver fern and the southern cross, I think they need to be on there. So but as the color goes, I'm not sure, Like because I was thinking, wouldn't a black flag with a white soil fern with white stars look cool? And then I thought, nah, actually I don't know sure allowed to have a black flag?
Speaker 9: Gay.
Speaker 12: I think there's a bit some rules around it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know. There are always interesting enough, and you'll find this interesting, Josh. During the Russian invasion of the Ukraine, right yes, oh like right now? Yeah, well three years ago, whatever they happened. During the Russian vasion of the Ukraine, the laser ki We flag was used as a symbol by volunteer soldiers from New Zealand. I presume they're fighting for Ukraine, so they fought under that flag.
Speaker 12: Oh wow, Hey, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: That's pretty powerful. We have gone to check GPT for another flag.
Speaker 15: Dad.
Speaker 2: It's not even a flag shape, is it? Could you asking to be? Because I quite like it, I say, would you make it a flag shape? Idiots? Tell them where I'm well, I don't mind a flag with orange, I mean where they think orange was good at because they get and then ask them to explain it. Idiots, it's not tell them it's not idiot hour. By the way, maybe it might be ten away from nine. Enjoying the discussion even and enjoying more. What chet GPT comes up with. What the rubbish they're throwing our way? No, that one's terrible. If they come up with anything else, it's they've sent us a square flag. So I put them on notice and said, no one in the world's got a square flag, and we're not about to become the flag bearers for a flat would we laughed out of the Olympics. We're getting in two by one version now, Margaret, it's Marcus. Thanks for joining this important discussion.
Speaker 18: Welcome, hello Marcus.
Speaker 21: No, my.
Speaker 22: As far as the flag's concerned, as long as we're a member of the Commonwealth, I don't know that technically we're in a position to change the flag, but if we became a republic, we'd have to have a new flag anyway.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of countries in the Commonwealth that don't have the Union jack, like Canada and stuff.
Speaker 22: No, but we have at the moment of a British connection on our flag. Yes, and so that it gets quite complicated. Plus from the government point of view, anything official papers and that have the flag on it all has to be changed, yes, and the cost is phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not a problem.
Speaker 22: And I think that if you look up Wikipedia, there's a key there and if my recollection's correct, he was the one that designed the stars and stripes and I think that John Key was on an ego trip.
Speaker 2: Sorrytival, hang the moment you've broken bad what we're saying about the stars and stripes.
Speaker 22: There was a person with a surname of Key K e Y and that would be an ego trip for John Key at that particular time, because I found it very difficult that he was not prepared to be supportive of Pike River. But at the same time, all that money was spent on the flag issue that went nowhere.
Speaker 2: Well, he didn't intend it to go no where. He intended to have a referenced them. It was for the people, if you did, them to choose what they wanted to do.
Speaker 22: I actually think it was an ego trip for him to get into the history books.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I mean, what's prime minister. It's a pretty important position. And if you I mean the prisoner of John Key was he didn't change enough things, didn't mix it up enough. At least he had to go with the flag. What's that? We've got the new Ratio flag from jet G P t I AI. I check it up on check it up on Facebook and ask what people think I mean could do that? Do they say? Why would they say? What it means ah was I say, the orange means honestly, stand down. That's why orange orange represents dawn and warmth. If you're living on tetu Win, good evening, Peter, it's Marcus welcome A yeah, the Marcus.
Speaker 11: If you actually study both flags of ours in Australia, they are a little bit different. So we all know we got They got six a week and we got four. But I reckon what they should we should have our prime ministers have a bit of a chap of their prime minister over there and say you change your Union jet to white and we'll keep the red and we'll have it still keep our white stars. And they change all these, change all these to white.
Speaker 2: But if you go to change, you're going to change. You may as well change properly.
Speaker 9: Mate.
Speaker 2: You may as well get something that's a bit smarter so people take notice of us around the nak Gee, what a knockout flag run that dud that we've got currently. I thought you'd be very much in favor of change, Peter. I thought you're a go get a guy. I thought you're the sort of guy that you know gets up in the morning and goes out there and changes the world for the good. I thought you'd want something striking, But you look.
Speaker 11: At the flag. The stars they have, they starts are slightly different from ours we have, like we have five points.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so you like what you like what we've got.
Speaker 11: In some ways, I think there should be something on the like there's some of the previous schooler said, put a kiwi in there. And I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think people tend to have animals on their flags.
Speaker 11: Or something. When we got to think, because our country we have two different sort of h people here, you could say, so something represents both of us, like we in you know, in the Mary side of it, in the and the and the and we side of it, and like the fucking outside of it. You know, something we have that we get a little bit on both of the flags.
Speaker 2: You look at some countries like Trinidad and Tobesque, Tabsco the just like just a red rectangle with black slash through it looks fantastic. Or Jamaica you were seeing there at the Olympics, Usain Bolt. You know it's just a a yellow cross with black and green in the corners. Looks fantastic.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's something something a bit of a combined flag because we're thinking of both. I want it because of our country. We had that little bit of you know, they they want a bit on the of them and we want a bit of ours on there. So it's sort of like a bit more neutral, so not just all a one sided flag.
Speaker 2: Do you know any countries that have animals on their flag?
Speaker 11: Wow? Not right, they haven't studied all the flags. No, you're probably right. Yeah, But then again, our key is a symbol like in the walls or the aircraft head the sometime they see nothing bad of that. It's a symbol of the New Zealands of Kiwi Boo.
Speaker 2: I think American Samow has the eagle.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I was saying, think they got the eagle. What's the difference between symbols of the Kiwi bird? I regon it should be somewhere on the I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think we call it the Kiwi bird. Oh you got to call it the Kiwi bird.
Speaker 21: Yeah, okay, yep, yeah, I reckon.
Speaker 11: It's a bit of a change. But he wouldn't do any harm.
Speaker 2: The key we bird. I think the Boutan flag has a dragon.
Speaker 11: Heah or no, or maybe not it's a bit hard. You want to go too far like it may be a lizard or something on that and a bit of a key when a lizard or.
Speaker 2: Something keywien a lizard, oh no or something beau, I key in a lizard cheap asp and you're the in the famous home of the lizard normally with the lizards of people Germans. I shouldn't say that. I forget who the last guy is smuggling gecko out of the country. But they come and get them in numbers, don't they, those harlequin ones? Padam Oh, we've got an angry reaction to the flag on Facebook. We've posted the one from chat a b Sea on there and someone's furious. They're talking broadcasting, stands, authority and all sorts of things. It's got to be the worst thing I've ever seen. Get in touch yet till twelve looks terrible? Does it even still doesn't look the right proportions anyway? Oh, we've got a topic people. A lot of people have a lot of a joy about this kee wee bird. A lot of people want to put a sheep on it. Love a sheep. I like a flag shape like a sheep and have the legs against the flag pole like a cutout. Kept them talking at the Olympics, wouldn't it. Well, I've learned something tonight. Quite powerful. Oh gosh, I'm saying about pompous hey, it's faux pomposity. People still quite passionate about this. People forgot they're passion about it. But people are passionate about the flag. I just wonder what's changed in the last ten years. Are we more pasionate for change or less change? We want a new flag or do we want a key we burden a lizard? Brilliant Ross, Marcus, Thanks hanging on there forever, Good evening and welcome.
Speaker 23: Hello Marcus. Good to hear from him. Yes, I've got two points. I think we should have had civil fern on a flag, because if we go over seas or anywhere where New Zealand's are fought, their graveyards have always got a civil fern on them, and I think that would be market on a flag.
Speaker 2: Hang on, Ross. We had the chance for silver fern and people didn't want it.
Speaker 23: I know that. I know that, so I don't understand why. Anyway, it doesn't matter now it's too late. The other point is you watch a flag, New Zealand flag or Australian flag. It was a fluttering you don't know which was which, so you know, it wouldn't be nice to definitely something New Zealand. So everybody's little they need.
Speaker 2: But looking at the great flags of the world, they're not necessarily symbolizing. They don't necessarily necessarily have things from the country on them. They're more often about just a striking bit of design. Like if you look at Japan with the rising sun, if you look at America with the stars and stripes, they're not really you know, they haven't got a bison. They haven't got a bison on it, or haven't got a bond side tree on it, have they?
Speaker 23: Mate? But why do our graveyards or in Europe on their grave side?
Speaker 2: It's a different thing. That's a symbol that that's a symbol from the war that people have used that they use to put on graves and probably different countries.
Speaker 23: Part and that New Zealand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but different different countries put different things on their graves. They don't then think on our grave it must be on our flag as well. That's not a slam dunk that connection.
Speaker 23: Okay, mate, what about what about a New Zealand Australia flair unless you understand one flair, I mean one little spar star on it is. That's the difference between two countries. And to me in a strutter, you don't know who's what country it is.
Speaker 2: Would you be a fan if we became part of Australia?
Speaker 23: No, mate, don't do that to me.
Speaker 2: I don't think you didn't think you would be ru Sorry, shouldn't tease you? Two lines free if you want to come through Flag Wednesday. I'm looking at a flag now on the cycling. Who's that well? I can't see if she's Australian. Who's a Williston in the cycling that's on the TV? You know she's Australian. Just a little flags up there. I can't see where she's from. Good evening, Shirley.
Speaker 3: Good evening, Marcus. Now I want you to picture this, or if you're sitting down with a pen and paper, I want you to draw something. I'm very very proud of it. My husband back in end of two and fifteen, twenty and sixteen, he designed a flag. Wow, and now draw a square flag and this will please the man that just spoke. And then draw from the bottom left to the top right a diagonal line right across it. The top diagonal is blue with four red stars.
Speaker 2: Surely, I'm just struggling with your radio because it's coming and I'm getting into it.
Speaker 3: Right, it's off now. So the top is blue with four red stars. The bottom diagonal part is green, and there's a brown kiwi in the bottom right hand corner. Going across the diagonal line from the bottom left to the top right is a silver fern. And we are so proud of what we've called it our Jarden flag. People going past when I fly it on spiritual days, birthdays and things like that, people going past actually come in and say, what a fantastic flag.
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: So can I just tell you the wee verse I made up for it?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm not having a poem. But why is it called the Jardine Flag.
Speaker 3: Well, I just want to explain it. It's not a poem. It's explaining it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, can you send an image to us of it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I just want to tell the people the flag was meaning that Ellen designed with pride and the reasons for each emblem. He will surely tell you why the blue is for the beautiful skies that we're in New Zealand, sheer and the greenest for our greenland for which we love and care. The stars pattern represents the asterism with the constellation of trucks. The Southern Cross is known to all and understood so much. The silver foonnas for the fallen who fought so bravery through the ways, and also for our sports folk who represent us with great applause. I've fought through the wars, and also for the sports folk who represent up with great flaws. And last but not least, our Kiwi as he stands so proud and tall to see. So you see this new flake Allen designed truly covers one and all. So fly this flag from your flagpole, and fly at each special day. And when you're asked about this flag, you'll not just what to say.
Speaker 2: Did you get one made?
Speaker 3: I had it made, and I had it made from the flagplace in BETTONI and I've given one to our sons to fly from their flagpole, and one of the Allen's cousins has bought one for their flag pole. And as I say, it just gets so much comments when I fly it.
Speaker 2: And what was the cost getting that flag? Made there.
Speaker 3: Surely I got it made in the proper, proper flag stuff. Four hundred and twenty five dollars.
Speaker 2: Okay, can I any of you? Is your husband a designer?
Speaker 23: No?
Speaker 3: My husband passed away six years ago. He just sat doodling one day and what have you? And I sed, Oh that's great. Why don't we put it in the competitions? Oh no, no, I don't do that. And I wished I jolly willhead it because I'll tell you what it would have been one.
Speaker 23: Of the tops.
Speaker 2: Really is it that good?
Speaker 3: I'm going to Can I mail it to you?
Speaker 2: Of course you can have you got email?
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, what would it?
Speaker 24: Well?
Speaker 3: How would I email? What's your email?
Speaker 2: Marcus m A c U s at, which is the A with a circle around yep used talk Z b yeap dot co dot nz.
Speaker 23: Dot co dot nz.
Speaker 24: I'll do that.
Speaker 2: Now and people stop and say, wow, that should have been our flag.
Speaker 3: Absolutely yeah. And they come into the door and they say what's that? Because I've got about forty five leagues I fly and each in our neighborhood, people going past or talk about the flags, and I say to them, what's your birthday and what's your nationality and I put it in my diary and on that day I fly their flag.
Speaker 2: Do you look Do you look for people that look of a different nationality?
Speaker 3: No, I just look for people that talk to me as I'm in the garden and going past and display the different flegs. I think I've got the New Zealand one up three times this week for different people.
Speaker 24: But they like it.
Speaker 3: They just get a kick out of it.
Speaker 2: Brilliant. Okay, Shelly, thank you for that. I appreciate. I look forward to seeing that. Marcus. If people cannot tell the difference between the Australians in the flag, they're not reobserve it. White stars for austran red stars views endly. Well, that's not quite rightly. Because I'm looking at TV screen across the other side of the room and it's got the cyclist what country they're from. It's impossible to tell because often the flag just comes up as a symbol to denote nationality. Marcus a Key is not aware that most countries in the Southern Hemisphere can see the Southern Cross. It's not special to New Zealand, Steve, and this will shake people up. But also the silver fern is not that especially the most countries have a fern that appears to be silver. So that's what happens when you go with symbols. I think most countries have them, so it doesn't really identify us. That's why better going with just some design like the Japanese one. Quite one of those lines of the poem doing a lot of work. One the one after war? What rhyme with war? I've forgotten now what rhymed with war straw? Or I can't remember. Someone said we can't afford a new flag, I'd say, we can't afford not to have one. And all the arguments are the same as they were ten years ago. Marcus, our flag doesn't necessarily need to be rectangular, no matter what it was proposed. When are hiding nothing, some won't change, Some won't like the new flag no matter what it looks like. Some will march on Parliament. Now, can I just say that looking at all the flags that were nominated, and they're all terrible. Red peak, which was the triangular one that they thought was the lake contender, it doesn't look great. Yes, and yes, indeed the flag of Switzerland is a red square. There aren't many square flags, but the flag of Switzerland is indeed square. If you want to comment on this, I've got a ton of texts. There's lines now free change the flag. You say what too? But I'm loving people giving their old designs another go round. Someone else, assume me a flag poem Australia has six stars, has four red stars. That is a certainty. A child should be A flag should be a simple design such as a child can draw it. I'm all for a change of flagged to something more representative New Zealand, but options in the flag refer and we're abysmal to it had no change. Cheers Mari. Yes, that's exactly the same, pro change, not pro the change they came up with. What about a flag with all our native animals on it kiwi as sheep are wallaby and a moose parpu. New Guinea has a bird on its flag, black background, silver f in the middle, or a picture of John A Lomu done a flag that consists of the three important colors in our history, black, white and red for the blood spilled to form our country. No logos, Marcus, I'm a veteran, a member of the RSA. Have you seen the in New Zealand flag no, well, navy blue with two Kordu blue for the Pacific Corduf and New Zealand easy to draw. Nothing like it in the world of flag's Jim hut Valley, I reckon we should swap out the color blue for black and re stand out zero confused with anyone else, and so much of our national teams are named after blacks. That makes sense. Commission Banks heat to design a flag. Get rid of our flag. Go to black. A black flag with a silver fur, nice and simple, like the Canadian maple leaf. Evening, Marcus, when you drive, the most common flag frying is the MOULDI flag. Next is the sovereign flag. I think that speaks for itself. Susie, what's the sovereign flag? Marcus. We need a new flag and then to all go on a team building exercise. We've lost our mojo as a country.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A pretty interesting article in one of the papers the other days about all the smaller towns that have been gutted of all the young people as they move overseas. Marcus, I feel we have missed an opportunity the last referendum. Everyone was so patientate flying the new flag. I think the country would have gotten behind a new design and we had a chance to build some real national pride. Those who putting the old flag flew these as well with pride. As soon as it was over, they all went put the way and now we really see a flag flying. A new flag may have stayed up Hi Gary Marcus Evening Welcome.
Speaker 25: Markets still have the funfects that the film A firm that was on the referendum flag if you want to know, now on the Walk of Fame behind the star that's on every every park now for famous new Xylders. I contacted Kyle Lockwood, who actually designed it, and he gave me the copyright free because I had a copyright issue with the Hollywood Walk of Fame and they wanted fifty thousand a year because they have a copyright for every five pointed object in the world on the ground.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 25: Yes, that was a bit of a bit of a sort of that was back in two thousand and thirteen that I've got. They've got the letter to say stop and decease from So we talked about this and then they will negotiate with your make it twenty thirty five thousand US a year, Yeah, a year. This is a year. This is just fifty or twenty five thousand a year to have it down. They said they have rights to worldwide from a company called Icon Lawyer's Icon Business.
Speaker 2: Oh, you would get messed up with them. It's been a fortune loyals wouldn't lawyers good time?
Speaker 25: So we protected Kyle he Y all means he gave me the copyright for free. So new it's behind the star. It's an eight object, a lot of facts, and so they sent me a letter saying they cease and assist. But that's silver fern is now. Times are there for good if anyone's interested in having a look at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, this is the one that audio work, isn't it. It seems to lend itself mainly country music people. Is that right?
Speaker 25: No, it's all entertainment.
Speaker 2: It covers well like Susan prints, Ray Wolf, like you, Dennis Marsh Yeah, okay, great Bartlett.
Speaker 25: We've got You've also got Dragon, Mark William's, Larry Morris, Tom Sharplin, and we've got more coming up. We've got Freckie Stevens coming up.
Speaker 2: You got Lord, you got Lord not Huid.
Speaker 25: Very hard to get a hold of. Get the thin brothers on either really you can get the top twin They said no, Top Twin said.
Speaker 2: No, you got described.
Speaker 25: No, But I've got a list of about fifty still put down. We've got twenty twenty five dowsa and we've got that fifteenth year anniversary in July nineteenth.
Speaker 2: Is it much work to do it?
Speaker 25: Yeah, it's a lot of work.
Speaker 26: Is it?
Speaker 2: What a lot of money we getting people to do it?
Speaker 21: Or no?
Speaker 4: Well it's all free for them.
Speaker 25: Its costs means and put it all together in so Gary?
Speaker 2: Are you sort of you've got permission of that audio work? You could have got as much foot space as you want there, is it right?
Speaker 25: That's correct. I got a permission from the council. Had I had a distupit fim. It took me six years to get it, get it sorted. But it's been a bit of a jeffit journey for sure. But I'm so determined to get you know, these famous people that have made such a big influence. You've even got the flood of the concourse with with the guys who got oscars and and all sorts of and there's so many I've got set out contact to Sam Neil. He said, he wasn't famous enough yet.
Speaker 2: Which was so you have you got the flight of the Concord guys, not yet.
Speaker 25: No, I'm working on them. That The thing is to get there, to get their contact. That's the hardest thing because manages to go through and or people won't give his numbers or But I'd love to get Jason gunned down as well. I think Jackson has done an amazing job throughout the years. Yeah, and it's even like when you look at Peter Peter Montgomery with a sailing, you know, phenomenal what he's done.
Speaker 11: I think.
Speaker 2: I think Jason Gunner is on your list.
Speaker 25: And he's on my list, but it's hard to get ahold of us. Try to contact himself if you're listening.
Speaker 2: But has he got a start? Has he got a star?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, I guess no, okay, now, oh, good luck with there, Gary, thank you, There we go. Marcus, some of your listens don't realize that the Kiwi birdhers from Australia. I don't know if that's necessarily true, Marcus Francis Douglas Memoral College. But you Plymouth boys the annual First fifteen Rugby Exchange for the first time, so it's twenty fourteen ten eight with a late conversion to win it. Jubilation at the gully on a glorious day. Cheers Bruce, Bruce. Did they win away? Must have hard to go to the valley and one, Marcus. The Blackjack flag that was shortlisted last time around is fantastic. Eighty to ten of the lines are free for chime it chipping on the flag or chiming on the flag. Marcus. As I have a tattle of our flag, I'm hopeful it doesn't change in my lifetime. Listen to every night. Thank you, Rose. We can always change it. Please pass my phone number on to Gary, the country music loving lord lacking top twin twerking flag. When Scotty, I've got all the phone numbers. Gary's looking for. Cheers Scotty, Thanks Scotty. Someone says, what about a Mount Cook lily? What a beautiful flower?
Speaker 21: That?
Speaker 2: Would you call it a flower? I guess you wouldn't, But yeah, there we go. That's something. I think there are some flags. Yeah, I just wish we've got to get I wish we've got it out of the Silver Fern and the Southern Cross because here, as I say, the Southern crosses. The Southern Cross is only unique if you're in the Southern hemisphere. It's not that special. I mean, I don't want to disparage it. But now, train news, what can I tell you about? This is a good story. Actually. The Green Party policy for a passenger train between Auckland and Totong is a no brainer, commuter says, a cheaper, safer and fast alternative to the worst traffic in the country and soaring airfares. Policy announced on Wednesday propose extending the existing to who were trained service between Hamilton and Auckland and building additional stations and Totong, Morensville and Waharoa would take two and a half hours the trip and would be established in two years. I don't necessarily know that it would be two and a half hours. I thought it would be longer longer than that. But until not so long ago, that was always a thing for Right up until the mid nineties, there were commuter trains between Auckland and Auckland Todong. And I don't quite know why they've stopped, and the lot to one's not going to happen to bo because I think they've lifted up some of the lines people have stolen the sleepers or something. But yes, that might be something you want to comment on as well. There's an online poll for that. Eighty percent of people think it's a good idea. So there we go. Oh we was stopped in two thousand and one. That's good information. And of course since then, Todong and Hamilton have become the fastest growing parts of the country. I'm just not necessarily sure if you'd need to go through Hamilton, if they couldn't do a shorter route that goes like make part of the triangle, if you know what I'm saying, to cut across there. But maybe they need to start that way and maybe change it later on. It looks always like a straight line anyway, eight away from ten if you want to talk Monames Marcus welcome HDDLE twelve. Paterson Geral always get a little bit excited about that. But yes, if they could make it work in two thousand and one and now the populations are probably doubled and we'll be a lot quicker than driving with all the traffic jams, makes sense. Don't necessarily know how they cope going through the tunnel. I guess they went through in the last time. I know some towns passengers can't go through because of issues. But anyway, good evening, noel ats Marcus, welcome.
Speaker 6: Now you're on about ten years since we've had to go at changing the flag.
Speaker 18: Yes, okay.
Speaker 6: Now one of the options that you've been promoting is putting the silver fern on the flag.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not promoting that. I've always been opposed to that.
Speaker 6: You're opposed to that, so am I, and I'll tell you why.
Speaker 2: Great like your passion.
Speaker 6: In the early nineteen sixties, when the Air Force changed their roundel and they put a silverfern in the center of the round all, we became the butt of jokes of all the other air forces because we were flying the white feather.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, okay, like surrender.
Speaker 16: Yes exactly.
Speaker 6: So ten years ago I was there against putting the selver fern on our national flag. I don't care. I look quite like it as a sports flag, but not on our national flag.
Speaker 2: I never in all my debates ten years ago, I never heard someone saying it was the white feather of surrender. But I quite like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's it. It was only on our aircraft for probably six months or nine months, and we changed it to m Z and then to the Kiwi. Were you someone and that's when the Kiwi started to fly?
Speaker 2: Were you involved in that? Were you involved in the services.
Speaker 6: I was on the Air Force for a long time.
Speaker 2: Oh, good on you go you okay, that's excellent. Okay, Well, you know, I said I think that I think the silver fin looks terrible on a flag. I think it's some sort of like something you put on butter, not on a flag. It's like a march.
Speaker 14: I agree with you.
Speaker 6: It's a sports flag, not a male flag.
Speaker 2: And I thought probably if those people on the pedal hadn't gone down that road, we might have got some better options. But they seem fixated with the silver fern.
Speaker 24: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well yeah, I don't know why.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Six to ten dB, it's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 7: What was the timing they gave for Tower to Auckland.
Speaker 2: By train two and a half hours double.
Speaker 7: It it's two a half hours from Hamilton. Yes, so they're going to go from Tower longer to Hamilton in no time at all.
Speaker 2: So I'm not sure if that's misreporting by stuff or if it's because I'm sure the Greens, if they're passionate about transport they would know their timing. But tell me something. Is there any way that you could go from Totonga to Auckland, not going via Hamilton?
Speaker 7: No, No, that's the way the railway track goes. There's only one way between. The Chickens that have stomach can spy the neck. I'm just trying to I've got the slide rule out and I'm.
Speaker 4: Just trying to sig other.
Speaker 25: No.
Speaker 7: I mean, if you're an eight hour a day worker, you're going to be on the You're going to be away from home. It's poor hours commuting each way. That's if the train doesn't get delayed.
Speaker 25: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh and trains, what about? What about it? Yeah, I'm just going to reread that to make sure I've read it right. The trip between Auckland and Totong it would take two and a half hours. So what I think becomes interesting if you talk about Auckland to toteng O via train, right, Yep, you could build new lines from the exit of the Kaimi tunnel. I meant all flat land, isn't it. You could build a direct line between Through my head and you speak up towards to a car or someone like that, to a poke COI someone like that way you could, you could cut off and you'd save yourself. You actually got your slot. You're probably in save through the ks, wouldn't you.
Speaker 7: So seventeen thousand nimbies are already stopping you doing that.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 21: But and.
Speaker 7: Even if say they could do it in three hours, they can't. But say they could, you're still not going to get people out of their cars and onto a trade to do it in three hours. The Capital connection to Parmas the North once it leaves, why can I and all right, I'm talking ten years ago was virtually empty. Whilce I'm left the then you can count the people on two hands. And that was a train that would go Parmised North to Wellington until and a half hours, two really relatively large centers. So people just won't get out of their automobiles. I mean, I'm a fan of rail I spent thirty five years working for them.
Speaker 2: The question I have asked tonight to start the show. It's ten years since we attempted to change our flag. Do you have an appetite to try and change the flag again? Is it worth persevering with or was that just a once in a lifetime chance and the good will is gone. Are people as passionate about a new flag as they were ten years ago? It's bound to crop up the next couple of years someone will say, let's change the flag. In fact, I have just done. That was a terrible process and it was flawed from the beginning. But we get another go at it? Or have things now become too divided? And with Facebook and keyboard warriors in the way it is these days, if you had a discussion about the flag, it would probably become full of expletives quite quickly, because even when it happened ten years ago, it was quite tense. People were and what happens intense things. People adopted positions that they fought very hard to defend, and that involved using misinformation, conspiracy and false facts. I heard it all sitting on this seat for ten years ago. So yeah, your thoughts, any appetite from anyone at all to change it again? And would the results be the same or maybe wouldn't be so fixated with the silver fern and the sior fan's funny in all sorts of ways, because it also lacks symmetry, so it's not great on a flag. It's got no symmetry. At least the maple leaf has some symmetry, Marcus. If you google Kaimi Express, you'll find a Wikipedia item on the railway passive rail service that ran between Auckland and to Longer. The last time the services operated, the silver fre and railcar took three and a half hours to go one way. Okay, I just don't think you'd get done that quickly now, and that's probably because, well, you've got the whole problems with all the passenger trains and Auckland say, I'm not going to get that safe corridor to go all that way, Marcus. We killed the rail We sold it a private enterprise. They stripped it of rails and said, we don't have a big enough population and it's hard to resurrect the dead horse. We've got a big enough population, but you just got to people get in the habit of using it. I mean, the one place rail will work is the triangle between Orkland, Hamilton and Total because that's half the country's population lives there. So that's the one place that certainly can work. And they're growing like topsy. Auckland's growing. Yeah, there'll be two million people. There's probably two million people there were already and have two trains connecting two million people. It's not hard to get that working. So you never say never when it comes to rail. It can always come back. Twelve past ten, Hello, teary AT's Marcus. Good evening?
Speaker 21: Yeah, hi Marcus. Why should be another flag debate? You know, we had a referendum and the ones who wanted to change the at last, So why should there be another one? You know, we're we've got a flag, you know, and the majority of people are young people actually devoted to keep it. It was the young that actually the numbers up so that we're SAG would stay.
Speaker 2: So are you are you involved in that?
Speaker 21: And what I just voted and I voted to keep it. I voted for Winston Peter's fife. He doesn't want to change it. He knows what he's talking about. We don't know. You don't need to change the flag just because it's of the Union.
Speaker 2: There's a fee bit of appetite for it from the callers I've spoken to. Okay, but just with your just with your thoughts about the young people voted to save it. Yeah right, yeah, I'm just looking at where did you get those figures?
Speaker 9: From.
Speaker 21: I think it was just in the paper, just you know, the breakdown of the numbers. And I mean, you think I'm talking to it.
Speaker 2: You think it was.
Speaker 21: Yeah, but even decided that, you.
Speaker 2: Know what, No, no, but I I just want to check that because you said it was the young people voted for status quo.
Speaker 18: Yes, but yeah, and I have I have never.
Speaker 2: Seen that anywhere. Okay, all right, well so I just wonder where you got that from.
Speaker 21: Well, I talked to you know, I think it was in the paper, in the paper after the Great Debate.
Speaker 2: Do you think it was?
Speaker 21: It was in the paper, Yeah, and there was I remember talking to a guy even in his forties in the Ta B and Victorias Street while it was going on, and I was either coming up to counting or just after, and he said, he said, and we're talking about the flag and he said he want he wanted to change it, but he just didn't liked the messenger John Kiev as his daughter said he would be in twenties. Leave it a line. It's by fag. I've grown up with it. I think also a lot you know the sports people, you know lydier Co and when they when old and whatever, whether they're born here or not, they become New Zealanders. They loved the flag.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so what would be your opposition to it? Would it be the cost or would it be.
Speaker 21: What there's just it's just unnecessary. I love our flag. Nothing wrong with it, you know, it's just if was around that time also having a burger and the Burger King, and that used to a little boutiqu one that used to be where the cinema complexes and just up from the civic and there was a a a flower shop just there with the and had flags around. It's you know, the business and it had a South South sorry South Korean and New Zealand flags. And I spoke to the guy who owned it and I said, you know, the flag debate's going on. Do you want to keep the flag or change it? He said, keep it? So I think it's the people who come here, migrate to New Zealand and who come from the smaller who countries have been under China's fun if you like it, South Korea and Vietnam and all that who want to you know, come here and they appreciate the freedoms that they have here and they don't see any necessity and changing the flag. It's our flag. Chinese maybe you know they're the big kahuna over there and they want to change everything. M hmm, that's it, you know, I just necessary.
Speaker 2: If it wasn't going to be the flag we've got, now, what would you.
Speaker 21: Like it to be? But there's our flag now, Marcus, there's no I just want it's our flag.
Speaker 2: Things things change, the currency changes, and things change changes.
Speaker 21: The enemy, Marcus, change is the enemy of all societies, all cultures or.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that makes any sense. And if the slaves would have thought that was I don't know if the slaves thought that was a good thing.
Speaker 21: Oh, everyone's had slaves goes way back millions of years, every continent ere and they're still going. So nothing, nothing's going to change regarding that.
Speaker 2: Will you say change? You say change is bad. I'm saying the I mean that the freed slaves wouldn't necessarily thought the end of slavery was a bad thing. They probably thought it was a good thing.
Speaker 21: Yes, I understand what you're saying, but I mean, I'll only speak obviously for when you.
Speaker 2: Spoke about the people at Burg about they're new to New Zealand, are you someone that was new to New Zealand.
Speaker 21: Then I was born here, race here, so you know, I know my great grandparents, so three or four generations, and so I'm not sure what the indigenous people think, Mario. I mean, they've got their own flag, whether they would prefer their flag to beat the New Zealand flag. But I like our I like our flag and it's not going to change, I hope.
Speaker 2: Okay, nice to hear from you, Terry, Thank you, George, Marcus. Good evening, Marcus.
Speaker 9: I was thinking about the flag. I'm actually during the during the Rifferringdom last time, I was actually, for some reason, I was quite obsessed with the riff of the red Peak.
Speaker 2: Well, and that came from nowhere and it looks it looked great, but I don't like it now.
Speaker 9: Yeah, no, I kind of get this.
Speaker 6: I know what you mean.
Speaker 9: I think maybe if the top parts are the same color, it would be a bit more tolerable. But also I think if we've chosen it, you wouldn't think twice about it.
Speaker 2: There's blue well.
Speaker 10: I just.
Speaker 2: So for those who know the Red Peak, there's a red triangle in the middle of the bottom and there's a white stripe and the top corners. One's red, ones.
Speaker 9: Blue, and I think maybe that's where they went wrong.
Speaker 2: It's a bit two ones, the mountain ones the sky. Yeah, I think I might dislike it quite strongly now.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, you think you'd be regretting it?
Speaker 18: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Do you think we would have just got used to it?
Speaker 2: I think it was a real product of its time and looking you know, true, And I think there are people that are designers that you know, there are great designers that know that know what something that's going to test to stand the test of times. And I think even they thought the red peak, but when they hated the silver fern ones but also thought the red peak was probably a bit questionable.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the silver the silver fern is just it's trite. A lot of our symbols. I'm tired of them, for sure. I don't know. I don't know what you do about it. I was having an idea if we did do another vote, you do the design and black and white, and then you get to choose three colors below, and then you just combine the two votes together and boom, so everyone, maybe you don't get the design you want, but maybe you get your colors. If we had to do it.
Speaker 24: Your people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you think do you think often about changing it?
Speaker 9: I can't say. But when i'm watching you know, when I'm watching the cycling and it's you know, it's like two pixels high and two pixels white, I can definitely see the floor. But I live in Australia. No one hears thinking about changing their flag. They're not worried that they looks like our flag.
Speaker 2: Tell you that much, but yeah, that happens from time to time, and they, I mean, yeah, Albernize has been been right to be quiet about the republic because ify so often you get a prime minister like Keating he was a mad Republican. I'm not mad republic. It's a good idea, but you know, it's tough to get across the line, isn't it.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I don't even think they've it's not even crossing their minds. Like, no one's talking.
Speaker 2: No one's talking about it now, are they not?
Speaker 9: Even if anyone even meets in the flag. They yeah, they're not worried.
Speaker 2: Okay, nice to talk, thanks you. No one's mentioning becoming a republic. That'll happen too. They always talk about that in our lifetime. But no one's going on about that. Now that'll be good for talk back. Yeah, get in touch. Marcus Still twelve the age old Christians. What she said? Winston Peters voted for him twice. He doesn't want the flag change. Yeah, well goodness to this caller. Young New Zealand is represented by a guy in his forties in the tab tell me you voted in New Zealand first, without telling me you voted in New Zealand first. Ah, love the old zero flag, need for love the flags. There a need for change. I haven't got any I don't not necessarily know about. Of course they couldn't prove. Yeah, that's interesting because geographically they can work out who voted for what because they're an electorates. But I don't know if they've got any idea who voted for the flag according to age. Yeah, I've looked for a breakdown. I can't say anything about that. So I'm not entirely sure. If people know that the Union jack has got to go full stop. I see laser Kiwi flags around. Thank you for that. Oh my god. Spend more enormous amounts of money on changing the flag. There are far more necessary needs for that money. Think what good could be done with all that. It was a very small amount of money when you look at some of the other expenses of the government and you look at how much when that was the thing. I mean, people did kind of bang on about John Key about it because it was just an easy hit for him, twenty six on a flag referendum. But you know, in terms of government expenditure, it's probably like an hour's spend. I would think it's minuscule, absolutely minuscule when you look at some of the other stuff they spend money on. So yeah, I don't necessarily think it's the rest. You know, if we want a new flag, then we've got every right to it. We don't say twenty six million there's going to be the reason why we don't get it. But you know, I'm just my curiosity was whether people it was ten years on, whether we get another go at changing it, or whether that's that now that people have changed. And what I sense from some of the texts is that people are terrified of something that could be divisive, and I kind of sense that now you get onto a Facebook chat and suddenly everyone's got extreme views and they want to battle with other people. They want to fight on the chardonnays of an evening on the keyboard, just looking desperate for someone ever battle with, normally anonymously. It's kind of weird that way. The more I think about this, the more interested I am that how much the country has changed in ten years, that even discussing things like changing the flag or something sort of not that serious, people are just too freaked out by because they said it has been divisive, and they say, oh, well, there's more important things like we have no agency or no saying anything anymore. It's almost like, as we are citizens of this country, we have read it'll say, we're too scared to have our say. I think everyone should have some chance to have their opinion heard on things like flags and stuff like that. Marcus a flag, a black flag with four white stars and the white map of and it would be great, cheers, Margaret. I don't know that you put your shape of your country on it could look what a complicated shape too. It doesn't work so well symbolically. Marcus the flag offering so far our plant a star sign somebody else's Marcus the flag goffering so far our plant a fern a star signed southern cross somebody else has won the union Jack UK now here we go south to north in Oyster, a cow, a wheat, sheaf, apossum, a wallabie, a hophouse, a cannabis leaf, a full ranger, and a Harley Davidson. Wow, what a flag sums us up? Notice no rugby ball? Cheers John. I think we're really going to pick one thing for a flag, can't you. That's I like that one from I can't remember which place it was. Oh, chet GPDS check GPT checkbots done another one for us, which I'm loving. Not I'm loving how bad they are. We asked for a second flag of chet geep. It's quite hard. It takes a long time for jet GPT do anything now because there's so much demand on it. I quite like that. But it's wacky, isn't it. It's flip it's wacky. Doesn't like keep men do logo. But it looks like someone's put a line through it. Posted that put on Facebook with a new and you don't edit on put us a new. Well, we'll drive some more traffic. Get in touch. One name is Marcus. Welcome here to go, oh eight hundred and eighty eight. I'm you need a lot of emails saying are you trying to stir up the nation and stuff like that. Wow, don't people as we will be another state of Australia the future two screek and I think last time I had talk about most people want us to be a state of Australia, I thought they thought, well, we're all going to end up there anyway. And it seems more chilled out. Laser flag has staying power. No referendum put it through under urgency, So there we go if you want to be in touch. Oh, eight hundred eighty, ten eighty. Also the Greens announcing the train to Todonga, it's not hard to do, they say, it's two years. All you've got to is build platforms probably for longer trains. I think some of the passenger platforms were taken away when they stopped that train going in two thousand and one. But yeah, it's just platforms to be a few stations probably. I think they said Waharoa Matamato. There we go through Mama, Moronsville and Todonga. It's a situation they're getting touch Marcus till twelve. As I say, oh, eight hundred eighty eight, ten eighty looking forward to what you've got to say. Wednesday feels like Thursday. What's that about? Don't know what day feels like, a different day to what it is. I wonder if John Key regrets it. They're referendum. I'm talking about good evening, Kevin. It's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 14: They're talking about trains and stuffay New Zealand and they want to go sorry, and they want to go to Tower to Aukland and stuff like that, but we can only go from Mappy to Gisbone because they've got washed there years ago. I don't think New Zealand keys too much.
Speaker 2: Betans Well, I guess they might care about it if they get stuck in grid looking the cars aren't going anywhere, which seems to be happening in par longer because it's jam packed most of the time. It seems everyone. Every time I talk to people there, they say driving around there is a nightmare.
Speaker 9: You haven't heard about that.
Speaker 2: So it must get to a stage you think, actually, I can't we bother go to Auckland. I'll get the train.
Speaker 14: Well, I live in Wakefield and Nelson and one hundred years ago there was a train trick. But there's no transmit the south, there's nothing, or there's the main trunk line, they call it the main truck, but you can't go from city to city or anywhere like that. A geographical problem with New zealand's there's too mountains.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's but if you look at the example of Auckland and Hamilton and to Auckland's the biggest city, Hamilton's grow So those three places are growing incredibly quickly and they've got a huge population.
Speaker 14: And I don't really care about it, or I don't care about or called Hamilton and terro No.
Speaker 2: But that's what we are talking because the Greens have proposed because there's a train now that goes Auckland to Hamilton and now they're proposing to get that to go to totong as well.
Speaker 14: So is that going to take fifteen years to do that? Because things are so slow in New Zealand it takes forever to do anything.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't care about it, but it's going to take two years because if they get the go ahead, because the line is already there, obviously freight all goes out of the port of Todonger, so it's a very busy train line for freight.
Speaker 14: But the problem with New Zealand most of our train lines, if you see, you know a lot about trains, is only we haven't got two through train tracks beside each other. It's just one track.
Speaker 2: Well, there are passing loops and I think they're trying to get that between into Auckland. Now there's going to be two lines. So the passenger trains have a designated line as well.
Speaker 14: Okay, okay, So I mean.
Speaker 2: The trum pet it's out was quick. Obviously there'd be more priority for the passengers because they're in more of a hurry than the containers of stuff that people have brought from demo.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 12: True.
Speaker 2: As far as the whole Nelson trained thing, that was always I don't even know where they are planning to go with those trains, but it was a bit of a pie It was a bit of a pie in the sky plan, wasn't it.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't know. I don't even know how they're going to connect with the main network.
Speaker 14: You'll send the New Zealand might find.
Speaker 2: That you're quite negative at the moment, are you.
Speaker 14: Oh, I know everything's been canceled and stopped and you can't even hop on a train from making Warrington, you know, and everyone used to use it years ago. But everyone's got cows, that's right. Yeah, so those caws because it's quicker, more efficient and it's better.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Maybe maybe people will lose their love of cars. Maybe be a situation because who knows what's going to happen in twenty years time.
Speaker 14: Oh no, people love their cars. Cars of everyone gets rich. The majority of people in New Zealand live in the country, all of the cities.
Speaker 2: But remember also too, the our pictures that are too old to drive don't want to drive. There are children that can't drive. There are people that disabled that can't drive as well, So it's a big and tourists that don't want to drive in New Zealand because they're not used to drive on the wrong side of the road. So there are a large number of people, a large minority that driving doesn't work for.
Speaker 14: Yeah, and there's also another thing. The other problem is New Zealand the bus service is not very good.
Speaker 2: Where was the last time you caught a passenger bus?
Speaker 15: Oh?
Speaker 21: I get the.
Speaker 14: Electric passes and make TN all the time together? Nelson, Yeah, sure, yeah, but there's one there's one thing in New Zealand that's missing. Every single airport in New Zealand, you cannot get a train to go to the city center. Crazy and that is crazy because back in nineteen eighty seven, eighty eight you can get off, you can get a heath Row get we get on the train and go boom you go. In the New Zealand, it's it's impossible. Yeah, and that's what New Zealand needs. They need to get rail. Looks going from airports to these centers. That would make a big and it doesn't have to be on the roads. What the There's a company that came over and said that they're going to put like a are pylons and in above the motorways. Yeah, in the music they've been doing around the world. It's a company and they came to New Zealand, but the government said no, we don't want to government.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of people cover these pie the Skuydeisin. You need to hear from them again.
Speaker 14: Because New Zealand ducts them and they the saying over, well.
Speaker 2: There's nothing wrong with I mean, private enterprise could do a gondos if they're going to work out, couldn't they.
Speaker 14: Are not gondles not. I'm talking about pylons for fighting Japan and trying on those places they have the rail players go on top on motorways well.
Speaker 2: Like a monorail. Yeah, okay, thank you. I don't think monor whales even work. This is about when someone mentioned the mon around the Simpsons. It seems to where people go quite quickly after that one. Welcome on him as Marcus Hittle midnight, your negative guy that one day. But they had some good ideas. Good evening, Jacques, it's Marcus welcome.
Speaker 9: And a Marcus Hi, Jacques, how are you good?
Speaker 2: Thank you yourself.
Speaker 10: You're not bad?
Speaker 18: Not bad?
Speaker 8: Well so, I just.
Speaker 10: As also a bit of passion in rugby. I like a lot of New Zealand people. And I mean I was a little bit sad, to be honest. I mean I got in it quick and thought that the stream marksters all Blacks at the park or fell out in two minutes, and you know, a bide to the all Blacks website and like, okay, let's get it in there first, and they're still think it's available, and it's just it's quite amazing that it's not sold out in two minutes. I mean a few years ago it would have been you know, sold out and I'm just okay, I'm a little.
Speaker 2: To be honest, Jack, you've got a terrible phone line and you need to let me talk as well, because if you've seen some things. When is the match?
Speaker 10: It's a sixth of sixth of September?
Speaker 2: Okay, can you hear me now?
Speaker 27: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Much better? How many tests are they here for? Is it who do to Auckland Hamilton?
Speaker 4: It's Auckland and Willington nothink?
Speaker 2: Has it any talk of the caliber of the team they've seen, because I know where I am up in Dunedin there was a French team coming, but they've seen this sitting a B team, so I have zero interest. Is it going to be the it? Is it going to be a top out? Is it going to be the top South African team?
Speaker 20: Well?
Speaker 4: The thing is I'm not one hundred percent sure. But it's not just before the World Cup. So what I'm thinking as is Russi Rasmus got a different plan at the moment. Is like not love the past where they prepared for the World Cup, but they want to win. They want to hi win percentage of Test matches yep, so what I like god feeling is that they are going to send their best team and they're going to break the All Backs record of beating them.
Speaker 10: On in the past.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's a pinnacle match. It's the even part to get rid of that. It's the best, it's the world. Are they successive world champs? So they went to in a row?
Speaker 22: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes for this Okay, Okay, Now I think you think how much your tickets?
Speaker 4: By the way, well I bought a ticket for ninety dollars.
Speaker 2: It is surprising because you think that would be the pinnacle rugby match in New Zealand's biggest city. But I will ask you one thing, Jacques, Yes, do you think people prefer watching it at home? Now they've all got these giant TV screens? I mean, the coverage is so good? Is it better to watch the game at home because you can see more?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 4: I It's absolutely true. I think, like I mentioned before, it's like, you know, if I hear that the screen box are playing the All Blacks in the New Zealand or in South Africa, I'm I'm gonna try my best, you know too, especially at Innand Park, the world top team. I guess I'm a bit more invested because I'm South African, I guess. And it's not been day great for the New Jell fans with the love of rugby anymore. But I mean maybe I'm just with more investment in this game. It's just you know, it's such a good rivalry and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's a great I think you make an extremely good point is to come in apart from the British Lions, would be another match that people would get up for because of a history there. To me, that's the pinnacle. Absolutely, I'm really surprised you will talk more about that, Thank you. Why wouldn't it sell out?
Speaker 26: How long is it?
Speaker 2: How long a tickets beyond sale?
Speaker 4: For Jacques Well, I think they started on the if you if you apply to the All Blacks dot com it started on the second or the third, and then I think I went to the public on sale on the Semmer something on that. But I'm just very very yeah, ye.
Speaker 2: I am too, because certainly you think they would they would say out overnight, Edison, it's Marcus welcome. Hello, Yeah, Hi, it's Marcus. Good evening.
Speaker 17: Hey, it's Edison.
Speaker 18: How are you think I am calling?
Speaker 17: And regarding the infrastructure. Yeah, a topic am and information. I just thought i'd am Yeah, I guess say that the Greens proposal for the trains. I'm currently driving back from Auckland to Tylan. I do the trip twice a week. A commute U and a train would be lovely.
Speaker 21: But the problem that.
Speaker 17: New Zealand has is infrastructures. I work around the industry and delivery capability is something New Zealand lack. So we own attract the offical capital to be able to achieve a lot of these things. I guess it's a nice idea a but just well we haven't proven at all, and that that infrastructure something kind of what are that highlight a lot of it that recently happened where no activity was done that it's not duetial next year in June and government will change and start the whole thing again. So or the elections will come up and people will change the topics of what's happened. The promise isn't there for the government commitment. They are two large players to come into New Zealand to be able to actually help deliver these projects.
Speaker 2: If that makes sense, you would know you infrastructure would be required.
Speaker 17: Well, you can't have their train line, especially with the okudaport coming at and am entinally building that. You'd be optimistic if you could run multiple trains and commutes at the same time. You've moved in that much freight to the.
Speaker 2: Port, well they'd be passing send afraid. The only infrastructure talking about is the you've got to build passenger platforms at the three stations in between tot On because trains did go there till two thousand and one. Yeah, so the infrastructure, I mean the rails are largely there.
Speaker 17: Yeah, but you don't it's a forty minute how a commute with the current time frames coming through like it's a very driveable commute for kiwis. So you get some transport, but you don't really have the commutable Like you've got definitely a location of living. I am purvis at Hamilton and you could commute there the other way, but there's not real a large amount of traffic coming through there. I never get caught and training together. I am coming in back and forth in Aubland for no matter what time of day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean, you know the way the growth is going, give it ten years. You've got a plan nice to hear from. You keep those texts coming through if you've got anything to add. Just where people are with the whole flag thing. I only mentioned because it's been ten years and no one's mentioned it since I'm thinking, well, actually, what's the situation there? Are you too scared of change? You've been freaked out because most people wanted a new flag, but they didn't want the new flag that was suggested because I had the silver fern and people thought that looked like a logo. But yeah, just because something doesn't work once, it doesn't mean you can't give another go. I'm not saying I'm advocating for a change of flag, but I'm curious to know where people are or are we that country now that can't do anything? Remember there at the start, we gave women the vote before anyone else, and now look where we are cheapers. So I don't know, we know what to say, but we're not really looking like being the innovator or kind of a world changer at the stage, are we. If we can't even think about danging something to somemple like the flag, then that's to worry. But yeah, you might want to mention that and the train I mean, if the train will work anywhere to work there, that's the thing, that's the sensible thing is that you know, you may as well put it. The people are I don't know how good to Loong works for too. You don't need people want to go. You don't need tourists wanting to go there, do you mind? They want to got a hobbitin and probably a stop near hobbiton would be a every good thing, and a Hobbit train could be huge. Would you make it a different shaped locomotive? Probably not? But still were there trains in the Hobbit? I don't think they were?
Speaker 14: Were there?
Speaker 2: Probably I didn't go and see it like a train in a movie. But yes, I'm joking. I realized that weren't trained in the Hobbits. They don't go all sort of good. He thought they were trained in the Hobbit, wasn't, idiot? Because these days you can't also say anything out to humor because people take a serious Oh yeah, idiot, thought there were trains in the Hobbit.
Speaker 9: Choo choo ah.
Speaker 2: That's just me. I'm not quite sure what Jacques was on about. It seems like that rugby match has sold out. I took him at a his word. But yeah, it sold out two days ago, did it, And that's when the post was made. So that's the situation there. Hey, the other thing on a railway and Asia just because someone's texted through that. There is a brand new inland port proposed for Milton which is going to be a big deal. So it's a private enterprise group that's doing it. New Zealand's largest inland port has been announced for Otago, with a three billion privately funded project expected to take ten thousand heavy trucks off the road each year. So I don't know if you know what inland ports are. Basically what inland ports are is just container terminals and also there will be some sort of warehousing there. I would think. I don't know what the main goods would be. I don't know what the main exports would be out of port, Charmers or bluff predominantly presumably a lot of it is dairy. But yeah, that's not a bad thing. Of ten thousand trucks are off the road every year. Although you look at that, it's only threehound and sixty five. It's only thirty a day, isn't it sounds a lot? But actually it's only thirty trucks a day off the road round about. I just make sure it's ten thousand heavy trucks, so it's not such a big deal. But it'll be a big deal. I don't know well, I mean in terms of freight moving it will be so this is I don't think it's there's photos of it, but I don't know if it will be to do with logs either. You wouldn't think in a landport would be with log So I'm not fully across what will are what will be going. Although Codagin, the mayor, said the wider area p use a large amount of forestry, dairy and sheep and beef products and the new facilit would allow them to be expect exported efficiently rather than subjected to bottlenecks. Bottlenecks, there has never been an announcement in our lifetime that has great implications for the financial viability of the South than this. Although what's interesting is at a target chief exec didn't know anything about it, which is weird. Good evening, Gary, this is Marcus. Welcome, thanks for kicking off the hour.
Speaker 26: Here you go, Matte. Why would we want to change your flag last time? Richie mccaur and John Ky cost the taxpad twenty six million dollars as a country in that good a position that we get will probably cost us forty million there.
Speaker 2: Yes, so, but as time goes As time goes on, will become more. There'll be less than less countries with the Union jack on it, and our will make us look kind of backward.
Speaker 26: We can't afford to have a referendum, and there's I'm sure there's more important things to be wearing about there than changing their flag.
Speaker 2: But but but we're had a democracy. We can change all sorts of things. We have those those right, I don't know what this ability that the thing is, Oh, there's more important things.
Speaker 26: If we don't have the money, have you have? You know, it's all doom and gloom every time we've got no money for doctor's, no money for heal, no money.
Speaker 2: Yes, but if you look at the amounts that are talked about there in the billions, it would be tight. I mean, it's hard to argue with what you're saying, but I'm sure about the You can say that about the people getting the pension when they're when they've got billions of dollars in the bank as well couldn't you. Well, yeah, exactly. So, so there's huge amounts of money that are going to people that's sacred that you can't touch.
Speaker 26: So many of those politicians in parliament.
Speaker 18: It should be.
Speaker 26: Means tested exactly, cheers the guy by.
Speaker 2: But you can do other stuff. I mean, we can't just we can't just do nothing if there's things that people want to do. I don't know why it costs so much either, by the way, I think she'll use use computers and things to make it cheap. We just go with the because the process was cumbersome and clumsy and alienated a lot of people because involved two different votes, which I think was expensive. They should have just had the Well who knows. Anyway, I appreciate you input there, Gary, thank you. But yeah, if you just bring everything back to the argument, oh well, how many doctors that the government has chosen to spend that percentage of the GDP on health. That was a decision they have made. Now they could spend more if they chose to, but that's their decision. And of course now I'm spending more money on defense. But interest about the guy that's doing the great the Walk of Fame at Audio wa that's got it that was asked twenty five thousand dollars to use the same shape stars as the Hollywood Hall of Fame. Isn't heone a big fan of that Walk of Fame? In audio wa? I mean the guy was nice to ring but I don't want to sound uncharitable. But it's audio work. It's not Hollywood, is it. I don't know if it's Is it a good idea? A walk of fame? I know the Victoria Park market at a Walk of Fame too, when people put their hands in the concrete. But yeah, I'm not quite sure if a beg good thing or not. We don't want to dump on the town, but they spend some time there. But a walk of Fame, I've never heard anyone say they're going to audio Where to go to the Walk of Fame? Of course, there's statue of Sir Edmund Hillary there also, which seems a strange place for it anyway. Of course, even so more now because the main highway bypasses Ady where you just zoom past it then past whywiter off you go? Why couldn't we have a flag refreender at the same time as election exactly? But what I think should happen is people should just find a flag and start advocating for that and start taking long to public events. I'd like it to happen organically, and I believe that will happen, but no one's come up with one. Of course, there is the the ten I dont can tell the flag, and also the United Tribes flag that you see around a lot, but I don't think they're advocating for them to become the flag of New zeal although they might be so, I don't know too much about that, but you know they are strong from a design point of view, beautiful looking things, and much stronger than the other four con tenders for our ten year ago flag referenda when we had it interesting that someone thought that when they put the white feron on the planes of the Air Force, people thought it was the white feather and the flag of surrender. Never heard that theory last time, evening.
Speaker 27: Kevin Marcus here, when toron Ken had had the referendum on the flag, I did one, and you will know you probably written those that overseas, all our veteran soles that have been buried over there have got a sort of fin or a black fern on their edstones, et cetera. And anyway, I gave her one of our local MP photograph of it our flag and all I did was put a silver fern underneath the Union jack, and I recommend it is all we need on our flag.
Speaker 2: So tell me, because that's on the graves right of our fallen. Does any other flag in the world have the symbol the same symbol on their flags on their war graves?
Speaker 6: Not that I would be aware, no, because a lot of.
Speaker 2: People say that, But I can't really work out why that means it would be on Are you saying that the people? Because it's like a symbol, isn't it.
Speaker 23: It is, it's a.
Speaker 27: Symbol, but okay, it's a black line, so I don't I'm sure it's not a white one. But the thing is you have Australia. It gets me when the rugby matches and they're playing based national means and they're flying both our flag and here's the Australian one fame as ours, except I've got the big star underneath the Union jack, and I sort of thinking, oh, wouldn't that be wonderful. I've seen people fly and our flag with the many years ago, with the silver fanner underneath the Union jack. And I'll tell you what, I thought it was great. And I gave it to a local politician, the pograph to give to John Key and put it in there the you know, in the sorting it out, and the RSA members that were hanging around me then and all looking at it this day, all without exception, thought it was the best idea, having a silver fan underneath the union jack.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not, just so you know where I'm coming from, Kevin. I'm not a fan of that. And I reckon, if we hadn't got if we hadn't got fixated with you with the silver foond, we would have had a new flag. But three of them had the silver foon and they just the silver foon didn't look good on the flag.
Speaker 27: I didn't think, Well, I could always see the mary to make us lot different from Australia, because I've heard so many times that overseas people have taken our flag is the Australian flag as well.
Speaker 2: So you're still in favor of changing it then, just the silver that's all.
Speaker 27: That's all, yes, absolutely, just to be different from Australia, I think the best.
Speaker 2: Thing about that? How about you get chet GPT to do a flag for US and feturing a road code and think they got anything better with that? Puddon? Oh how many can you can? You only do it twice a day? Flip? They're playing hard to get, aren't they? How much will it cost if you paid for it? Apparently a Danish company has been selling can cheeseburger since the early two thousandths. It's a good idea, isn't it? Take it tramping a can cheeseburger. My name is Marcus Wilk. If you want to talk, oh eight hundred and eighty telly, all the lines there are free. It might be something different you want to mention good. I've done the hard work coming up with the topics. But yep, if you do want to say something else or talk about something else, I don't know what that is. Tonight Trump's gone quiet at this time. I'm looking for what Trump's up to as he wakes? Does he wake about?
Speaker 26: Now?
Speaker 2: He's meeting the Syrian president and says lifting sanctions gives the country chance of greatness? There we go, Oh do cardgoing and playing with the kids?
Speaker 22: Fuck?
Speaker 2: What's that game? Five crowns? It's quite good. It's one of the few games I can beat them at. If you want to give that one a go. It's got like five suits. They say it's like Rummy Cub. Well, I've never played Rummy Cub. I don't know whether it's like it or not. But yep, that's happening it till twelve. Good evening, Kelvin.
Speaker 24: Good evening to you, Marcus. How's it going down there in the cold South.
Speaker 2: It's been quite mild, but you might get cold to night, so I'm hoping here we go.
Speaker 24: Yeah, I rung about the New Zealand flag. Now, first of all, I haven't heard anybody call it by its correct name. Everyone seems to call us the Union Jack, but it's real name, its proper name, is actually the Union Union Flag.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 24: And that's the pattern. How when you're looking at the New Zealand flag and the flag poles on the left side of it, the very top star and the left hand star are both the same size. The right hands star is the smallest and the bottom star is the largest. So I thought you'd lot to know that maybe, And when people who can't see the difference in Australia and the New Zealand flag. My goodness. Now, the Australian flag six white stars. The New Zealand flag is four red and white stars. Okay, so it's pretty pretty easy to do.
Speaker 2: So the bottom star is the bigger one, is it?
Speaker 24: Yep? Bottom one is the biggest one. So when the flag, when you look at their flag and the poles on the left side of it, the top one, the top star and the left star are both the same size and right, the right hand side is the smallest and the bottom is the biggest.
Speaker 2: How they thought about it is that because it looks good? Is that to reflect the brightness of the Southern cross in the sky?
Speaker 24: I think you just said it. Yeah, okay, And a lot of those island flags might have the Union flag in the corner or whatever, and lots of those different stars and a circle or what gold stars whatever, they sort of representing the number of islands would make up their country.
Speaker 2: It's right, yeah, sense islands.
Speaker 24: It's got about fifteen I think it is here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the cook line is amazing because they are miles apart. You wonder how they even managed to make it. Yeah, it's got fifteen white stars and circle.
Speaker 24: You're quite right, Yeah, fifteen.
Speaker 23: Yeah.
Speaker 24: I remember when I was working with a chap from the Cook Islands and I was asking him what was the Cook Islands called originally before James Cook came along? And he said it never ever had a proper name.
Speaker 2: Okay I nelready thought about that. Yeah, okay, No, I think.
Speaker 24: We should do more thinking, James.
Speaker 9: I like that.
Speaker 2: I like I respond to James. Who do you think? How many countries have the Union jack in the corner?
Speaker 24: Quite a few. That's a good answer, isn't it. Okay, even Haai who's got the Union flag in its corner. I like the idea of their country, and you can with your magic buttons you'll be able to look it up, or you might already know. I like that country with the flag and the machine gun on it.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like the fact that you study flags from time to time.
Speaker 24: I don't really study them, I just sort read a little bit something.
Speaker 2: Do you remember what you voted for?
Speaker 24: I voted for there was one there with the blue at the top, but I think the black.
Speaker 2: But then, but then when it came down to the our current flag versus the pretender, did you vote for status quo?
Speaker 24: Oh no, no, I'd never vote for the Union flag.
Speaker 2: And okay, I don't know said you said, it's so pationate, but Mosambique that's got the gun.
Speaker 24: I would never fight for our king either, Okay, good, are you going to fight for king and country? Just for the country?
Speaker 2: Yeah I didn't, but yeah, but I voted for the current flag because just to tell them how awful those contenders were with the silver food. Thought they were all terrible.
Speaker 24: Yeah, yeah, well the so called silver food. And I don't know how many countries, but there's lots, lots and lots and lots, probably another lots as well overseas which have silver ferns, So it's not just here and the n z or Nova Zelandia.
Speaker 13: No.
Speaker 2: I don't know why that people come fixated on that. No, although I don't think other countries have it as this. I think it's because we put it on the buttied the butter in the early days, didn't we in the butter boxes.
Speaker 24: Yeah, the old Canada flag is good, I've always thought, and they apparently.
Speaker 2: Did it very quickly too. It didn't take them along, It wasn't at I've.
Speaker 24: Actually forgotten what the original one looked like.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's terrible. Dog's breakfast like ours. Yeah, I think I think it was a union. I'll ever look at it for you, just so I cann't remind you.
Speaker 24: Yeah, and remember what the Japanese flag used to look like, but no idea. Well it was a white flag with the round orange red sun with the rays.
Speaker 2: That was quite good too, like that.
Speaker 24: Yeah, but they had to get rid of that after w W two, the big one.
Speaker 2: We should just ask if we could borrow the one. Oh terrible, the Canadian Yeah, terrible.
Speaker 24: It was like it was just yeah, anyway, how about the Scottish flag then?
Speaker 15: Love that.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic, the blue with.
Speaker 24: The white cross. Yes, I think it's a bad time. Well, they keep talking about it, Scotland becoming completely independent.
Speaker 2: Of Well they've had a couple of votes and come quite close, but it looks like it hasn't kind of got the momentum.
Speaker 24: But I'm looking forward to when you have your discussion in the near future, hopefully about whether we should have become a republic or not. But it's thickening to think of it. But yeah, we got so many knit with listeners out there. They ring up and they say, oh, yee, if we become a republic, we won't be in the Commonwealth, and.
Speaker 2: I think in a discussion people just try and muddy the waters with misinformation.
Speaker 24: Yeah, well, right now, there's at least I think it's fifty six, could be a couple more countries in the Commonwealth of Nations, not to be confused with the Commonwealth of Australia, but there's about fifty six or could be a couple more. And out of those there's about thirty five which are republics exactly, and about six six of them have got their own monarchies. Yeah, okay, and our nearest one in the Commonwealth with its own monarchy as Tongua yep. So it's all pretty clear cut, isn't it. You know, when you've had a couple of cups of tea and the brain's clear, you can remember these things.
Speaker 2: Not to hear from me, Kelvin, sounds like it's going well for you, Marcus. What is the Mexicom number of carriages a diesel engine is allowed to tow? I've caned one eight nine so far. The good thing about living adjacent to train tricks for the last resort for relatives to want to stay over is especially the long, heavy and very noisy two am freight trains. So just a word for the whys they are called wagons. Carriages are for people. But yes, I never knew that until I studied closer. So I don't want to word shame you, but that, yeah, they are called wagons. I didn't Yeah, so I had ready know. That's a lot?
Speaker 21: Was it?
Speaker 2: Just one locomotival with it two?
Speaker 1: For more from Marcus Slash Nights, listen live to news talks there'd be from eight pm weekdays, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio.