Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks'd be follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: It's Richard Arnold. Good morning to your Richards Andrew, good morning. Welcome to our King's birthday. You don't celebrate that over there. I see that America is having problems with measles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, for years has been not much talk about measles. A vaccine for the disease was developed back in sixty three. At its widespread use worldwide brought the number of cases down to just a trickle. Now, though, cases are surging again here in what largely is seen as the impact of the anti vax movement and the US government's Centers for Disease Control. The CDC has just issued a travel warning. They say if people are traveling internationally, they should make sure they are vaccinated or consider postponing the trip. Back in the early nineteen sixties in this country, there were up to two million measles cases a year and some four hundred deaths annually among those infected. Then the numbers were reduced to only a handful. So that's what we've known most of our lives. But this year there has been a series of alerts in Texas and Iowa and Nebraska and elsewhere. Several other states included, and these are areas where immunization rates have falled, there among the lowest in the country. This year, the number of cases has hit one thousand and eighty eight on the present count, and there have been three deaths, so that's the first time in decades that numbers have reached anything like this. Measles also is emerging again as a probably be in some other countries. One of the latest cases here saw of three individuals, including a child under the age of five, getting measles after being exposed on a Turkish Airlines flight to Denver in Colorado. Doctor minish but Tell of the CDC says measles can be deadly. Measle can be severe no matter what your age.
Speaker 1: You can have an infection of the lungs, swelling of the brain known as encephalitis, and unfortunately death well.
Speaker 3: Measles also is very contagious. That virus can linger in the air for as long as two hours, so that makes it big problem in confined spaces as you can imagine as well. It can be in your system for up to twenty one days before you experienced symptoms. So yeah, it is a big problem. Even before this traveler that the measles vaccine was very much in the news here because of the theories promoted by the current Trump Health Secretary Roc Junior. He is the one who has said that maybe it would be best if everyone had the measles, because if you get it, you're immune for the rest of your life, provided you survive. Right these days in government, RFK has changed his tune just a little bit, admitting now that he had his own children vaccinated even as he was speaking out against that vaccine.
Speaker 2: Yes, we just recently had an outbreak here in New Zealand and it happened on a ferry and we had all sorts of alerts of very serious disease. Last time we had an outbreak in Auckland, it caused two deaths in New Zealand, and of course recently in some More we had a measle's outbreak. Eighty three people died over there, and it's preventable by a vaccination.
Speaker 3: And that was a situation where Robert Kennedy Jr. Was involved as well. He went over there and he gave some advice and then we saw the tragic results of people not being vaccinated, and Kennedy has tried to distance himself from the advice he gave at that particular time.
Speaker 2: All I just have something a little bit more positive this King's birthday. You have a tail of a remarkable rescue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is amazing. Kel Morris, who was sixty one, was out hiking in Alaska with his wife. It was a philly, remote area. The rock slide began on the trail and Kell lost his footing wound up tumbling in the midst of all that debris, and finally he was pinned under a giant boulder. It was on his leg, his left leg. His bones weren't broken, but he was half submerged in glacier waters as well. He says the rock had him really caught, was pressed and pinching up against the bone. Well, Fortunately, he says Kel, of the circumstance, there was enough flat rock underneath the leg to keep it from breaking it. But at the time I thought for sure any second was gonna break. However, he looked like he was going to be stuck there for good, and he was partly underwater. His wife Joanna, did as much as she could to sort of prop his head up support him. Then she took off, trying to get a signal on her phone, which she soon did, but they were a long way out and emergency crews would have taken about an hour to arrive if they hurried. That's when a local helicopter pilot heard the radio call and volunteered to fly in a rescue team. The rescuers were dropped to the ground as the chopper was hopping overhead, so it was quite a situation. They found that Kell was in a bad, bad state. Found on mister Morris, face down in the creek just above freezing waters. He was hypothermic, He was in and out of consciousness, not good. They used air bags, ropes, and brute force to get him out and take him off to the hospital where get this, he had only a few scratches and some minor nerve damage. Kel saying he was hugely grateful to all who intervened and saved him, but he says none of this will stop hi venturing in the future back into the great outdoors.
Speaker 2: Good, ma'am, and I thank you so much. Richard Arnold from the United States of America.
Speaker 1: For more from NEWSTALKZTB. Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio