Speaker 1: You're listening to the Weekend Collective podcast from News talks'd be.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to the Weekend Collective. Thanks for all your feedback on politics. Century You can go and listen to that hour again if you want to look for the Weekend Collective of wherever you podcast, I suggest iHeartRadio or the News Talk because it'd be website. But now we're shifting away from the politics because that was a feisty little hour. I don't mind telling you, so we got to be it's time to spread some love. And what better way to spread some love than to talk about healthy eating and food? Because who doesn't love food? I actually do. Funny thing is before I inventsrush my guest, I do know someone who doesn't enjoy food. And I won't say who he is, but if somebody actually works here and I have a bit to do with, but he just doesn't enjoy eating. It's just he just eats what he needs to for sustenance to stay alive, but never really and he's quite It's quite unusual. But most people do enjoy food, and I'm pretty sure my guest now enjoys food because he's well. His life, his career is food his name is gesche Go.
Speaker 3: Well I was, I was really good until that story. And now I'm really sad for that person who just can't see the joy in food.
Speaker 2: I just actually wonder if there's something If your taste buds don't deliver the same message that other people's taste buds deliver, maybe there are people who just don't enjoy eating, you know, is there such I love?
Speaker 3: I mean, I get too much. I understand the people that do eat just for sustenance, Like I get it. I see some like you know, whether it's weight loss programs or putting on you know, these kind of fixed meals that people are supposed to eat five times a day for.
Speaker 2: Oh that would that would do me?
Speaker 3: And and and you know, all power to you for the discipline it takes. But I require more than that from my food.
Speaker 2: Actually, we went my brother is visiting from Australia, and a bunch of us went out with my girls to a tie restaurant last night. And it's been a new ownership. And I had a probably a cliche sort of prawns and cash and at dish, But I tell you what, the flavors of that cooking when they get it right it's just like you're happy.
Speaker 3: You're so happy. Look at you. If people can see your face right now, your face is exactly what you're thinking. Your joy is right there.
Speaker 2: It's just as well they have portion control for that stuff, because it's almost like when you have a certain deliciousness. Yes, you need to have someone controlling your portion for you, because I just keep going.
Speaker 3: The fact that you know the word deliciousness immediately puts you and you're very lucky because deliciousness is everything.
Speaker 2: It is I guess it is.
Speaker 3: Actually it is everything because deliciousness is the thing that I often talk about as being the only benchmark you should have. Don't worry about where the food comes from, what country, what the makeup is. Deliciousness is your core value system on how you judge.
Speaker 2: Feel ethical sort of side of which comes from. Of course, so you do worry about where it comes from, of course.
Speaker 3: But if I know about it, I'm not going to order it, right. But if I didn't know about it and you told me about it later, I'll forgive myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, hey, now what by the way, before we get into what you've been up to, what are you what's cooking? Well, we have metaphorically everything.
Speaker 3: The humble Yum Yum is still cooking. The cooking classes are still going with the South Seas Healthcare Trust, teaching people how to cook for under twenty five dollars for four to six portions. Even in you know, we're today's prices. Being able to do that, have you had.
Speaker 2: To add inflation to that? Well, it used to be twenty bucks, but irresistibly some stage things cost a bit more. I can't remember.
Speaker 3: Yes, it went up from twenty to about twenty four, twenty four, twenty four, ninety something. Yeah, no, no, no, that's kind of ninety seven or something. Oh yeah, so I was able to see under twenty five. But yes, it did go out. And my Chris for fifty dollars when up for I've got a Christmas for fifty dollars for four people. I used to anyway, No, it's sixty yeah, and that's just you know, and of course you're.
Speaker 2: Working on another you're working with mate Michael van Deels, and yes there is a beat Well for Less or something that's correct.
Speaker 3: Season five of You Well for Less is about to be shot, so we're excited to get stuck into those families.
Speaker 2: See how much planning goes in advance to that, and how much is just like, let's see what happens.
Speaker 3: I think no one does. Let's see what happens. You know the fail to plan, plan to fail line. Have you heard of that?
Speaker 2: Yes? Well, in fact, yeah, I'm cooking for the family tonight and I am well and I'm well prepared.
Speaker 3: Good because you are. I know you. You don't mess around in the kitchen, so you would have been well prepared regardless of the situation.
Speaker 2: I'm not. I'm a good shift at what I know. If I, for instance, if I want to do a risotto, yes, I make sure and learn how to do a proper all the best type of sheet.
Speaker 3: You'll have the best ingredients. Yeah, I know you. I have prayed.
Speaker 2: But anyway, it's not about me. It's about you. But it's about you who are listening as well. But yes, the topic that we're getting onto plays so much into your into your ballpark because we've had the the reveal, the big reveal of the three dollar lunches for kids, and it's just I was laughing to myself that David Seymour was saying, how good it tastes and good one would hope so, and one would hope they can deliver it. But I jokingly thought to myself, if they were delivering those lunches at Bellamies in Parliament, there might be a few complaints, but just probably on portion size. But because of that announcement about you know, kids eating well hopefully under this school lunch program, it's a conversation we can all have about, I mean, how much should it take to have her? How much should a good lunch cost? In a way, and I would suggest that, I mean my old school lunches, not that they were not sure they were the perfect advertisement because for some time, as we did of the old luncheon sausage.
Speaker 3: Don't diss the luncheon sausage, don't do it.
Speaker 2: I did make the mistake of googling was one of the products that's available. It was the amount of salt on it. And I thought, yeah, I mean look salty.
Speaker 3: As a young human who ran around for four hours a day in the sunshine, yeah, a deep fried luncheon bun was always delicious. But I think I burnt five thousand calories a day back then, so this is like whatever, it was just fuel to the engine. It didn't even matter.
Speaker 2: But Is it as hard as people might make it to eat cheaply? Or is it simply just a matter of education. I mean, you're obviously that's your beef. Education, isn't it?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: Information and to say how do we approach this? So in my mind, food education is freedom, right, That's how I talk about it. If you know how to do it, it's like a skill that will set you free, no matter what budget you have at home, how much money you make, and all the real things that you have to deal with in life, including them possibly some of the little things that some family members will eat and some may not, Some might be medical, and some might be preferenced. Yes, but this is your life. Yeah, this is your stuff that you have to deal with every week. So for me, I come at it with empathy to begin with, because you have to. Everybody is struggling in their own way. Then you're telling them, now, all right, everyone, you've got to learn some new stuff so that the pressure on you is coming down, and what are the key issues around you? So I always talk about do the things that you can control, and what can you control? You can control planning It might be boring, but it's not. It's like the money maker. Planning is the money maker and the stress freer.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the time cyber. Ultimately, it's all the good things.
Speaker 3: It's all. There's nothing bad. No one can tell me one bad thing about planning. Planning is free of all bad things.
Speaker 2: Yes it is, say, oh I get so boring some and den and the plan thing or making decisions on a large scale for the week is probably a challenge in a way.
Speaker 3: Well, I try to what I've tried to say to people is planning is important, but don't plan too far ahead, because, like you said, that's a setup for failure. I could never plan for seven days. It's just too much. So I tell everyone, just do three days. And within those three days, we're going to address school lunches and work lunches. We're going to make all our meals planned for in a way that they provide. Let's call it a family of four, just for convenience, a family of four going to get a meal each and two leftovers.
Speaker 2: Actually, that's also a good reason why you it's in our household. In fact, my wife plans the meals out. In fact sometimes cook on Sunday. Sure, actually do things that are ready to heat and eat and by the time you've got to Wednesday you realize you haven't eaten it at all, and that's the leftovers for Thursday. Then you have something a bit cheap and easy on Friday, and then all of a sudden there's sort of week's all done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, see, so you're a relationship with food and awares. You've got too much choice in a roundabout sort of way. Oh yeah, you know what I mean. Yes, you've got choice to the point of guend Now, that'll sit in the freezer for a couple more days. I'm going to have this fried noodle I read about from my friend at this shop down the road.
Speaker 2: Unless you're going to give me a respect, let's just starting on something focused. How much should you be able to give your kids if you were just looking at lunches, so if you're treating them separately, because you might want to build it into a whole thing, but how simple should it be to provide your children with lunch? Now this is not meant from a political point of view to beat up on people who oh no, no, I don't do that, but for kids. You know, the majority of kids in New Zealand still have their lunch provided by their parents. Yes, to me, it shouldn't cost more than I don't know, I'm thinking a piece of fruit. Well, do the ma sandwich About three bucks sounds about right.
Speaker 3: Let's do the math on the yumyam. Twenty five dollars gives you four to six portions. Let's just at six. Okay, So twenty five divide it by six is worth four bucks? Yeah, yeah, about four bucks for something. Yeah, so in my model, it's about four bucks to provide six. Now, what's in my food and what's in the three dollar food is I don't even know what's in the three dollar food, so we can't make that comparison. But my point is I could.
Speaker 2: Vegetables are one thing. I'm making a note. We're going to talk about how to hide.
Speaker 3: Mine has vegetables in it as well. But the thing that mine also has is it removes the stress from the parent about what to do for the school lunch because it's all part of the family meal. That's what I advocate all the time. Don't make the school lunch like a separate thought process or the work lunch. Here's what we had last night. Here's two portions of that from last night, enjoy your day, see you for dinner.
Speaker 2: Oh, because you know what I'm saying, feels like leftovers, Like we had this last night, so we're having this for lunch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's wrong with that?
Speaker 2: I do like to have something completely.
Speaker 3: Yes, but your luxury is in your bubble. Well, most people can't do that, most people with like two plus two family. We talked about a family four right, Let's imagine they make a grand a week, and let's call six to fifty rent, do you know where I'm headed here? They're not going to sit there and care about those things for them. It's like I have one hundred and fifty dollars to make four meal. Let's call it three because let's call them two little people. Three meals three times three humans is nine a day times seven sixty three? Is that right for the whole week? That's how many meals the parents have to cover off.
Speaker 2: No, I was just thinking in terms of how I mean, I think that's probably just what a lot of kids do have for their lunches, in terms of a sandwich, a fruit snack, a snack beforehand, And then.
Speaker 3: Why does it have to be like that?
Speaker 2: I'm not just saying that's for a lot. Well, because people like it like that.
Speaker 3: I guess no, people can't afford it like that. That's what's happening right now, don't you think. No, don't you know where we are.
Speaker 2: I would say, okay, let's push back on that. I would say, okay, life for bread three four dollars, so twenty let's say twenty pieces of bread. So that's far, that's five. I mean, that's if you're having.
Speaker 3: So you just gave me a ton of sugar and some cardboard, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Possibly, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, And you might have cheese and mamade or lettuce or whatever and a sandwich or lunch and sausage because we do like lunch and sausage that way. And that's not expensive. I don't know. I don't think it's that expensive to provide sandwiches for your kids. I don't think it's peanut butter and jam.
Speaker 3: No, not at all. But nothing that you've described is what I would want to give my kid to take to school. Yeah, that's not sustainable. That's just a glucose crash. Are you setting me up? Are you setting me up?
Speaker 2: And ran it all off?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I did, And that's me. But I would never put well, I was raised, you know, like a hood rat. I mean, my kids are not raised like hood rats. Nobody is anymore.
Speaker 2: What are they doing? What are they doing lunch?
Speaker 3: Well, we left a house at nine am and didn't come back till nine pm. And you know, we were like Lord of the flies, whereas now it's a little bit more refined. You know, the humans are not doing what we used to do, so now we have. But also, we didn't know as much about signs and nutrition back then as we do now, and we know a lot more and so we can make better decisions. And that's where I come from, Like, you should make better decisions around health because the people that I help with at Southseast Healthcare, you know, heart disease and diabetes are one of the biggest things that hits New Zealanders and sugar is a big part of that. And bread is a big delivery mechanism for sugar.
Speaker 2: I think as well, with the if you're talking about the evening meals becoming lunches, evening meals are often hot, and I'm not sure. I don't know how it plays out.
Speaker 3: Having noodles are beautiful cold.
Speaker 2: Oh, my kids do like the noodles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, it's all about what you decide. There's a thousand recipes that will work. But do you decide that that's what you want to do with your family and that's how you want to plant it? Is that your budget? It's very practical steps, like none of this is fluffy. This is how much money I've got, This is how many meals I have to provide. I'm tired. What should I do? How do I plug more holes with take away meals but make them reduced? For example, getting kids to help out in the kitchen I find is really amazing in convincing them to take the leftovers the next day. Yeah, like they don't mind the leftovers if they had something to do with it from the night before. This is what we've found. So this is what we're always like cajoling, cajoling the parents to say, look, train your children a little bit like this and you will see the benefit.
Speaker 2: Okay, we want to take your calls on it. How much do you think it should be. How do your lunches look and how much does your lunch cost? And if you're looking for ideas from Ganesh on how you can make it a little bit cheaper because you might actually say, look, this is what I like, but it's costing that much. Maybe Guinness will say, well, have you thought about making this little change here? I mean the obvious one would be, of course buying seasonal.
Speaker 3: Cheaper yeap, and actually, but I'm not even sure if you find seasonal as genius. But here's my little tip on that. School yourself up on what to do with these beautiful seasonal ingredients.
Speaker 2: Right, we'll take your calls, but if you've got any questions for Ganessian, we're going to continue talking about how you eat healthily on a budget. And yeah, I wait, one hundred eighty ten eighties the number text nine nine two and don't worry about the email. Let's cause some texts. Okay, let's get into it.
Speaker 5: God, c he's tonight and I don't feel something right, I'm so scared, and kids are full of my chair and one get down the stairs, clowns.
Speaker 2: That's welcome back. This is the weekend Collective Health Hub. And my guest is ganis Rage. Yes, that ganess Rage. I don't need to say anymore from eat wealth for a lese.
Speaker 3: Is there another one?
Speaker 2: It sounds naughty? Or if I don't say anything more of it? Go yes, that.
Speaker 3: That was my cue. I missed it.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we're talking about how to eat well for less, but in particular lunches. How much would you What do you do about it? Having having lunch? I tell you what. The The first thing, and I don't even need be an expert on this, is that if you are making your own lunch, then you are starting to get ahead of the game because a lot of people are still going, Oh, I can't be bothered. I'll go buy a sandwich. Yeah, buy sandwich, Go buy some sushi. By this.
Speaker 3: By that that's most people.
Speaker 2: That is most people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a decision you have to make to decide to take lunch with you.
Speaker 2: Right, let's take some calls. Julian Hello, Yeah they met.
Speaker 3: Let's see you good good ey.
Speaker 6: Hey. Look.
Speaker 7: My opinion is I think a certain generation. I'm in my seventies and my mother and my auntie and friends taught me how to cook when I was fifteen sixteen. The generation now don't know how to cook, so they don't know how to make a decent meal on a budget because they have they haven't got the skills.
Speaker 2: I don't think anyone's going to disagree with that.
Speaker 3: You You're spot on. I mean, the only thing we can do about that is to create education, right, that's what you're saying.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And look, you know I did. Look a few years ago, I had the same sort of issue as I've got now with this, and I did phone up Wins and I said, look, I'm retired, I need something to do. Are there is there any Is there any money out there for me to go into people's homes and just teaching the basics. I'm not a chef, but I'm a very good cook. And they weren't interested. They said it would just be too hard. And I guess, with privacy and all that to.
Speaker 2: Add hoc, wouldn't it just be you know, what they need to roll out nationwide programs I imagine as opposed to Julian popping into a few houses and say, let me show you a few ideas. Although oh yeah, it might be useful for that on that small, macro micro scale.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Look, I wasn't thinking about taking it multinational or anything. I I was just talking about I was just talking about taking it to you know, to the likes of Christ, you know, And look, all you would need is maybe twenty people teach them that they can then go on and teach their friends and people. You know, you, you know you can cook not through budget, but you can cook very tasty meals, as you would know Ganis without spending a fortune.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree with you more. And I mean, look, your intention from the start to go and help those people out was just to give them some education. And I think that's you know, that's to be commended.
Speaker 2: Actually, you know, there is a way of you doing that. Funny thing is in a way what what what you're talking about as a as a as a micro version a sort of person the person view way of doing what Ganesh is doing on a large scale and with the eat wealth less sort of thing, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: You should.
Speaker 2: You could start an Instagram page Julian's you know, Julian, I don't know. I've got to think there's got to be a pun there on Julian to vegetables.
Speaker 7: Hey, look, I did do something similar once. I got knocked back by the by the authorities, and I didn't get in, I didn't get any interest. And whether they thought, now, who's this guy that wants to come into a home and teacher's cooking on. I don't know, so there was no interest. Maybe things are down. You know, this was six years ago, so maybe a thing is different than maybe that might be my project for the summer.
Speaker 2: Well, you never know. Mate, got on got intentions though, mate, But I mean his point that Julian's point was actually let's just stop for a second, because it's easy to go our people these days don't know how to cook. But I guess statistically there are fewer families who are compassmentous on cooking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's actually supported by history. So post war, after nineteen forty five, there was scarcity, right, which led to ingenuity, but also lowering your expectations right down to what a basic meal was. And so that was a whole generation of people that grew up with scarcity and basic foods. Forget nutrition, let's just get full.
Speaker 2: Or before we got ourn next caller, we were having a chat in the break about because I've done a bit of talkback on this and my other shows, and somebody reminded me about how cheap and delicious sardines were, Yes, and I was thinking, I haven't had sardines forever, but I do remember it was one of those things. If you ever had a sardine sandwich or something, Yeah, I hate.
Speaker 3: Them all the time. I still love making them. Yeah, onions, garlic, ginger, sardines, chili in hot oil. Is that because we're in a little sandwich?
Speaker 2: Is that because we've fallen for you know, eat John West and get the best and everyone's aspiring to look a ton of salmon's only four or five bucks or something, whereas I don't know what sardines are, but very cheap dollars something, yeah, dollar something.
Speaker 3: It's like sardine suspiciously cheap. Not really, it's because it's you know, meat, there's been sitting there. But it's it's beautiful, it's it's got all the nutrition you need. But it's had a bad rap. And I got to say bad rap more because kind of Italian Mediterranean style foods, it's almost hypocritical. You can have a sardine Greek style, beautiful breaded and just crispy on the plate with lemon, that's fine, yeah, but not in tomato sauce and a tin. What's going on? People?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: The question that comes out of it are is I mean, are there are there foods that we have gentrified ourselves away.
Speaker 3: From I'm glad you said it is that. That's basically we've a spike. We've gentrified ourselves to wear from spam, and we've gentrified ourselves with so and it.
Speaker 2: Spam does sound to me like I tell.
Speaker 3: You what, though across the world it's pretty famous really. But the thing is, yes, we have because cultures all across the world, as they become richer and have more stuff in their life, the good of fancy restaurants, they tend to reject the older foods.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why there must be some older foods which were like sardines, even will I reject I didn't reject luncheon because, to be honest, if she gave me a luncheon piece of lunch and sausage, now it'd be gone before you, tay.
Speaker 3: Boo, thank of your honesty.
Speaker 2: Ah, But I don't. I would think I would be better buying ham or some other meat, only because that salt thing did me in. But maybe there are visions of lunch and sausage have less. Well. Actually, when you have to be honest, if you have a couple of slices of luncheon, you're not really killing yourself.
Speaker 3: Once you are if you eat it every day, then we have to talk. But even once a month or what like a little treat food. Man, there's nothing wrong with any treat food.
Speaker 2: So what are the other what are the okay? So actually, apart from let's just deal with definitions, because people listening going, why are you talking about unwanted emails? Which is what spammers? Oh yeah, but I understand it's the food. By the way, people, what is spam?
Speaker 3: Good question? Scientists have been working on this for years. Let's call it a conglomerate of multi dimensional meats that have been pressed together with the gelatin like substance in the shape of a can.
Speaker 2: Here we go, fortify it made ingredients a pork shoulder, there you go, and ham. So it's mainly peaked with salt water, modified potato starch as a binder, sugar and sodium nitrate as are preservative.
Speaker 3: Indeed, what's a taste like depends what you do with it, you know, it's true. So for example, in Korea, they chop it up into cubes and added to their ramen, and they have it at home for dinner time with cabbages and their beautiful stocks. So people eat it as a meat substitute. In Southeast Asia, it will be deep fried and have on rice with something, or in a bun here, you know, someone like Island people have it all the time in their different food So it depends.
Speaker 2: It does say it's low. I did google is spam healthy? And I get it's high in fat, calories and sodium and low and important nutrients such as protein, vitamins and minerals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that doesn't so it's not a very good food. Okay, So let's no, no, no, the sardines are much better. But I'm bundling spam with treat food. Oh yeah, yeah, I'm saying, don't judge it so hard. But you owe yourself some work if you're going to go down the spam road, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So if you're gonna if you're gonna be burning the calories, then yeah, I mean we cannet your way with everything is balanced, right, there's no such thing otherwise you're going to swing one way. What are the other old fashioned foods that we that we we could have a lookout again, because a lot of people when I talked about sardines triggered a lot of callers to be like, oh my goodness.
Speaker 3: Yes, actually are cucumber sandwiches.
Speaker 2: Ah, that sounds very wimbledon, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: No, only because you did it, you made it sound wimbled. And by saying that otherwise, A cucumber salad sandwich with.
Speaker 2: Cheese, okay, you've made it more interesting.
Speaker 3: Right, Cheese and cucumber with some butter. That is a very simple thing. But it's got, you know, some nutritional value. But you're not gonna eat it every day, mind you. But that's an old fashioned cucumber. It's a bit like lettuce, isn't it. It's a sort of a better crunch, a bit of moisture. It's got a salted though at the basic level, it's butter, lettuce, cucumber, salt than the cheese. That's like the most basic sandwich. Of course there's many, but that's like the basic ingreas and some pepper in there too. That's your basic version.
Speaker 2: Okay, we want to hear, actually are the older foods that you can remember that you think, actually, you know what you've forgotten about this? We used to eat this all day long and it was delicious and nutritious, and it's still available. It doesn't cost much hence the starting conversation Calvin, Hello.
Speaker 8: Very good afternoon to your tim and guiness. You've got a great name there, guines. My New Zealand name is Calvin, but my Indian name is Calvinder.
Speaker 3: Ah, fantastic.
Speaker 2: You're making that up as you go along.
Speaker 3: You know it was made.
Speaker 8: Up for me by Indian people down the road.
Speaker 3: No, but hey, look, congratulations and getting an Indian name is not hard to come by.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know that.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 8: That's why whenever I come across Indian people, you know, for the first time I tell them my name is Covender, I always get a chuckle out of them. But there's a couple of questions. The first one is sort of in my curiosity. I can remember, up until recent years or even decades, the pink salmon was the expense of one in the red salmon was the cheaper one. But in recent years, price wise, it's been reversed. I don't know if you've noticed that or not, but but I have. But because the pink one was the more expensive one.
Speaker 3: And are you talk about salmon versus tuna.
Speaker 8: Well, just salmon itself, yeah, pink salmon and red salmon. But so the red salmon the red salmon was always cheaper, but now it is the dearer one. But also I like sardines, and but sometimes when you opened the tin, it's got that real stinky, fishy sardini smell, which is what it should have. But for a while Brunswick brought out sardines and whatever the oil was. But it was in lemon sauce and the lemon sauce and it was delicious. Yes, but hang on, you can't buy the one with the lemon sauce. It's gone out of fashion. Anything in New Zealand. Will people like? They say, no, we can't have people being happy, so they get rid of it. Another thing, but I love those telegraphs. It's got a strange name, telegraph cucumber. And of course you don't have to peel, and you just slice them up and eat the whole thing's skin and all excellent. But I've always loved rice. Now here's a curiosity question for you, and I think you will know one way or another. Is there very much rice growing in New Zealand?
Speaker 3: In New Zealand, Yes, in.
Speaker 8: New Zealand's I'm pretty sure there will be some some rice grown in New Zealand. But of course, I don't know if we have.
Speaker 3: The humidity for it.
Speaker 2: If it does, great, I mean actually not commercially. The answer is no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean someone's trying somewhere, I'm sure, but it's one of those things. Humidity is such a big part of rice growing, you know.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yes, Now is it okay to eat banana skins?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't elephants do, apparently, And I think.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say that there's no reason to do gorillas eat the skins.
Speaker 2: I can't remember.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I'll ask when I get her.
Speaker 8: But there's lots of good food, you know, a lot of people don't even eat apple skins.
Speaker 3: Oh, apple skins is a must, right, it's a must.
Speaker 2: I would have thought that that was essential if you're going to eat the fruit. The whole point of the fruit is the ruffage as well.
Speaker 3: You know, that's an interesting point. But some people would peel it off because they think it's yucky, but they'll eat the flesh. And there are people like that, Yeah, but I think of it like you.
Speaker 8: It's rough eat potato skins. Now. I'm eighty three, so I've eaten lots of different things. I've never been at a New Zealand. But in New Zealand, you know, I've eaten snails, snails in New Zealand and crocodile. Have even cooked crocodile and meat myself available a few years ago from a supermarket. But I've eaten all of them. I call as a young boy eating. My mother used to cook them, brain fritters, sweetbread fritters, tongue hat, liver, kidneys, tribe, oxtail, pigs crossers, which is a feat yes week from the butcher shop, and also the pig skin.
Speaker 2: Well, so you've eaten everything, not in all the one sitting hopefully Calvin.
Speaker 8: But some people say, oh no, I'll ask him have you eaten this? And they're all, no, wouldn't that? I say, do you eat eggs? They say, oh yeah. I say, well, you know where the eggs come from. Don't you.
Speaker 2: Wait? Ginness? Have you a response for Calvin?
Speaker 3: There just praise O. I know where the eggs come from. But Calvin, which came first?
Speaker 2: We'll discuss that on a philosophical version of the show. Maybe there should be an episode of eat well for less what came first, the chicken or the egg? There will be a scientific answer to that one, but we're not going to delve into that one right now. We're going to take a moment at twenty to time flies. I feel we've hardly dug into this topic yet. But anyway, we're talking about having a cheap lunch. What are the are there old foods that we should reconsider and have a look at? Eg sardines? Tell me give me another one? Eight hundred eighty ten eighty. Ganess Raj from Eat Well for Less is with me and you can give him a call and run your ideas by him. Or if you're looking for inspiration, I would say that this would be a perfect opportunity to get some. It's nineteen and a half minutes to five now, ain as good as I want.
Speaker 4: Word, I got a few years on now, but there was a time back in my friend when I can really down. If you need some to name, then I'm man Hams.
Speaker 2: We welcome back, Yes, hello, welcome back to the Weekend Collective. We're having a quite a good time here. Actually, I'm chatting with Ganess Raj about eating well for Less and some of the older foods that we could actually look back and go. You know what, why don't we do that? Any longer. Oh, it's because we gentrified ourselves into having turner and salmon and all that sort of stuff. And I'm not going to bang on about turner any longer, but we are. We did talk about sardines, and I think that's something that Tom wants to talk about. Good Tom, Good.
Speaker 6: Auftern and Sir, I just turned the radio. I'm coming near to Waaco, and I heard you talking about the sadines. Well, they come in water and tomato sauce, but the kids don't like that. On the sand. It's got a hell of a bike. But I found reasonably sardines and olive oil, and it's they're quite easy to take. Yeah, yeah, and I and I also see them now a lot much dearer oysters smoke oisters they were, I think, and muscles also in olive oil. Olive oil seems to.
Speaker 3: Preserve them properly.
Speaker 2: It feels safer. The fact that they're stored in oil. Just my gut reaction is a spring if it's in water or oil, i'd probably like Especially for sardines, I'll be like, well they're oily anyway, must well just go for the oil.
Speaker 3: Tuna and spring water is completely legit yeah, of course.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: But I mean in this day and age, the stuff that's in our soupermarket shelves has gone to fifteen levels of you know, making sure it's compliant and by the time here's the shelf, it's good for us in the sense that it's safe.
Speaker 2: How do you have your side as? Do you just have them straight out of the tun or?
Speaker 6: Yes? Am I still on?
Speaker 9: Or not?
Speaker 2: You're still on? You're still here?
Speaker 6: Right? Okay? Good?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: Just a fork bread which I haven't had butter for forty years, by the way, your man keeps talking that butter. No, not for me, but just a fork out of the out of the small cans, the half for me and half for their little cats. But but I wanted to speak briefly too. And you mustn't need appleskins commercially grown. They've got spray all as them. The doctor will.
Speaker 3: Tell you that, Yeah, you're not wrong.
Speaker 6: You're go iron without spray. Yeah, but then that's a must.
Speaker 2: But you're not wrong.
Speaker 3: But I have a feeling that we've ingested enough stuff of our lifetime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll do a check on that, Tom, because I'm sure the Apple and peer board will probably be something to say about that. And actually I used a very old fashion name for hi, didn't I didn't? It used to be the Apple and peer board. Is it still a thing? It'll have some other fancy brand, won't it? Quite a few ticks about afel? Yes, because awful was somebody to preferred to it. My dad was called depression food.
Speaker 3: You know what, Firstly, we need to rebrand it. The word awful sounds too much like awful, and everyone thinks it's awful because.
Speaker 2: I'm having awful, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like we hadn't. We need to rebrand it. So we're gonna call it inside food, inside food side. Okay, I'm gonna have inside.
Speaker 2: Food from inside the animal.
Speaker 3: Hey, look it's all inside. That's correct, well done, It's all inside. That's the big deal. I like, Look, it's the preparation I've found that is the big deal.
Speaker 2: You're gonna tell me I shouldn't have steak and kidney.
Speaker 3: I would never tell you to do anything that you love, not to do anything that you love. But my point is I am always looking for ways of making something delicious enough for more people to cook it, right, that's the whole idea, And for example, when you talk about trotters, picks trotters, for example, which are gelatinous and have meat in them. There's a tie version of it where you deep fry it first, after you obviously clean and cook, you deep fry it first and then you breeze it, and it's this absolutely delicious thing. And four trotters are eight dollars and with a green vegetable, I've just fed my family with a potter ace.
Speaker 2: See. My only engagement with trotters was the one time I didn't try to make it. I did make stock because I was curious about making stock from scratch, where you roast the bones and you roast the vegetables and you have a pig strotter in there as well. Because of the general ten you don't need flour and everything, and you reduce it and you boil it, and you boil it and boil it. Then you cry little bit, you have a weep.
Speaker 3: It's because of you, because you said engagement with trotter's at the very top of the sentence, and.
Speaker 2: That's ten hours, ten hours to make stock, and it didn't make very much.
Speaker 3: How much did you make in the It was probably about a sorry, I mean I'm sure it was delicious. It was, I'm sure, But was it worth your five plus ten hours?
Speaker 2: If I was stuck at home for the day with nothing to do, I might.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's something pleasurable about being I encourage people to make stocks, but I'm so aware that the time you know that people need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's take some more calls. I'm not sure we've really got to nail our topic yet, but we've had a good chat so Faramily. Yes, Jessica.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hi there.
Speaker 3: You don't Hi, Jessica.
Speaker 9: So what are you guys talking about?
Speaker 2: Oh? Well, I'm hoping that you already know that. What did you want to talk about?
Speaker 9: Well, you were talking about like pig trotters and things like that. So I thought that was kind of interesting because I've some bridges experience and like my family enough to eat off.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good.
Speaker 3: What's your favorite?
Speaker 9: For what you were a topic? Was my favorite dish? I don't have a favorite, actually, I just I can't. I can't choose.
Speaker 2: We're talking about eating well for less and cooking your own food, and old sort of foods that actually might have gone out of fashion, that are actually very economical and appetizing and healthy. There you go.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I've been eating a lot of frozen hoki and like more like are used white meat supposed to read meat. Yeah, yeah, but it's a really interesting story.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that was a that was a that was a sort of brief take on things. Wasn't it was?
Speaker 3: But one more person that has no problem with frozen or with inside food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've read this. This, this text from Margnus is how my dad liked offl and my mother was horrified, calling it depression food. Well, we're not going to call it awful inside food, inside food. I think we can still do better than that.
Speaker 3: Well, I want us to do better than that. Anything that makes this better.
Speaker 2: Tripe brains, sweetbreads. I don't even know what sweetbreads is. It's not like it sounds.
Speaker 3: It's a gland. Sweetbread is a gland. And the thing is who came up with that nick sweet breads? Right, because I know what it is, like, I've served it in restaurants before, and it is delicious. It has a kind of kidney ish texture, yeah, a firmished kidney ish texture, you know, and it's eaten with sauces and you try to get a sour component on there. It's perfectly delicious grilled. But the name sweet bread, it's weird. It's so weird.
Speaker 2: I'm like, who came up with no idea? It's quite misleading. Really, here's a question on right on point. We are a family of two adults, four children. We mainly eat meat and three of veg. What would you feed five of us who take lunch for lunch.
Speaker 3: Five people meat and three veg.
Speaker 2: Well, they're just saying this is what we do, but what would you, yeah, suggest for five of us?
Speaker 3: Perfect? So what you're gonna do is you're gonna make fried rice for six people with frozen vegetables, which is your veg. And it comes in frozen bags, and it's cheap and delicious, and you're gonna use whichever meat you like more, whether it's white meat, and if it is, it's chicken breast, which is currently about thirteen dollars a kilo. And on this site you've got mints which you can get for I think thirteen or nineteen, I'm not sure. But my point is that fried rice dish can also have eggs boom more protein, so your meat and three vegeting will be ticked. How are you getting bulk. You're getting the rice in there. Then you're using soy sauce, sesame oil, oyster sauce, vibes to get all the flavor in there. And it didn't cost you much. That's like an under thirty dollars for four to six people, dish for five people. It'll do the job.
Speaker 2: Is there an eat well for less sort of lunch? Sort of?
Speaker 3: We talk about it in different episodes depending on what those families need. And in a lot of times those families, you know, when we go to a house that as young kids, that's what we cover.
Speaker 2: Good stuff. Hey, look we need to take a moment. We'll be back in just to take seven and a half minutes to five news talks. He'd b ah, yes, welcome back, well sort of welcome back to say goodbye. Really, but I wish you could have heard my discussion with ganness about me cooking ma rosotto. It had had my eye was a little colorful with my language, but you know what I do enjoy good rosotto. Ganessian, thank you for your advice.
Speaker 3: No, it was my pleasure. Man.
Speaker 2: Now again, if people want to learn more about the work you're doing.
Speaker 3: Do TV gess dot TV that's g A n E. S h r aj dot TV.
Speaker 2: That's all you good to do boom fa and well, so can give my love to Michael van Delsen when you tell you said he and.
Speaker 3: We'll look forward to the new season. Yes, and hopefully and hopefully we'll see you soon.
Speaker 2: Yes, we like to get back.
Speaker 3: We should do a Christmas thing because I'm doing a Christmas hard to Cook for sixty people sixty dollars for four.
Speaker 2: Excellent Christmas special with Ganes Raj love it. So we will do that and we'll be back shortly, Amanda Morales. Next, we'll back shortly. News Talks it'd.
Speaker 1: Be for more from the Weekend Collective. Listen live to News Talks. It'd be weekends from three pm, or follow the podcast on iHeartRadio