Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks ed B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio, Straight down the Middle, try get inside the game from every angle. It's Rugby Direct with Elliott Smith and Liam Napier powered by News Talks EDB.
Speaker 2: Welcome into Rugby Direct powered by habit hel Physio. Book today and stay in the game Rugby Direct Direct. Back for our midweek podcast Elliott Smith and with me. Liam Napier has been summed out through injury. Well, hopefully touch base with Liam later next week. And then is Nick Bewley, our Crusader's commentator to join us this week? Bills, thanks for giving up some of your time and joining us on Rugby Direct.
Speaker 3: Ellie.
Speaker 4: Always a pleasure and it goes to show, doesn't it? Row to and Super Rugby Pacific. It's already taking a toll on players and broadcasters.
Speaker 2: And journalists, so my thoughts to Liam. Hopefully recovers absolutely let's ripen to it. Dalton Papalletti announcing a couple of days ago now that he is leaving New Zealand rugby after the season. He only played one test last year. He's played nine on forty tests for the All Blacks but decided that he is out heading to Castra Olympeak in France. Did this catch you by surprise, nekor did that perhaps the interview gave with TVNZ the week before signal that he might be on the way out.
Speaker 4: Yeah? I suppose, without knowing the full extent of the details and the timeline, part of me thought Dalton would be one of those players who was clearly out of favor under Scott Robertson that might stick around and at least wait to see who the next All Blacks coaches and push towards the twenty twenty seven Rugby World Cup in terms of getting a flight over to Australia. So look, this deal may have been done for all we know, you know over the Christmas New Year period. I just think I do wonder whether he has perhaps a little bit of regret around the time, and given he spoke so highly of his experience and the All Blacks fifteen at the back end of last year with Jamie Joseph who was the coach of that All Blacks fifteen team, who is now one of only two realistic contenders to replace Scott Robertson in the top All Blacks jobs. So curious timing to say the least. But here's a guy who's given plenty to the Blues in particular and New Zealand rugby, and you current begrudge a player at this point of his career looking at the riches of France.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't blame him either. I think it's a play going before his time, though I think he had more to give the All Blacks Jersey. I don't think he had a great Super rugby year last year, but he's always delivered. I felt on the international stage in the kind of open so flanket that I think maybe the All Blacks have been searching for in terms of luck basement for Sam Kine. Obviously, DSRVs lotted in at seven most of the time last year, but in terms of that that similarity is Sam Kaine. I think Golden Papaletti had it. But he made his point clear that he probably didn't gel with the All Blacks coaching staff last year, didn't know that they'd be on the art obviously, and when he didn't get selected for the end of year tour last year, he had a clause in his contract that meant he could head abroad. So I think it's a lost in New Zealand.
Speaker 4: Rag.
Speaker 2: We certainly lost for the Blues as they go forward, and look, I think you know he'll be He can console himself if he's at any point disappointed or second thinks the decision, he can go. Look, I'm probably getting a pretty good payday out of out of it all. Another news item in the last couple of days bulls the AB's coaching timeline. This is from a colleague Liam, of course, who said that it's probably still three weeks away. I'm sure you ought exactly the same in box Facebook messenger chats. Everything's blowing up with all sorts of theories. McCaul is apparently in as an assistant coach. We've got Hanson coming back. I think they're going to get Fred Allen back in at some point too. So are you surprised that it's taking perhaps this longer? Do you like the way that they're going about doing their due diligence?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Look, outside of people asking me about who the Sam Ruth kids, that has been the question I've been put to, or put the most too, over the last six or so weeks.
Speaker 3: What is going on with this all? Blacks coaching situation. I don't know, and.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to add to the fuel by rumor or scuttle. But here, however, based on Liam's report, and I don't dismiss his reporting whatsoever, I'm not surprised to hear that, you know, Interim CEO Steve Lancaster and former All Black Dame Coles, who are on this panel, this appointment panel, have gone to observe Jamie Joseph in his environment at the Highlanders and then now heading to Japan to do the same at Kobe with Dave Renni. Although I do find that a little bit, I wonder what sort of what they're actually going to see. I feel like if my boss was coming down here to the christ Church offers to observe how I was looking ahead of a potential promotion, I'd probably act on my best behavior. Maybe not, you know, compared to what I'm like, you know, week and week out. Alas, I'm not surprised by the timeline I was. I was pretty shocked to hear that all of a sudden it sounded like an appointment could be made last week, earlier this week. I think, you know New Zealand Rugby that there is no real rush in the sense of July as the first Test match. I know there's been discussion around it being a potential distraction. Well the Highlanders dismissed any notion of that by dispatching the Crusaders last week, and I did hear and read that Kobe had to win in the Japanese competition. So look, I'm sort of pleased they're doing their due diligence and taking their time because they ought to. It's it's the top job in New Zealand rugby.
Speaker 2: That's right. It's an important decision. They didn't get it clearly right last time. By what transpires, they need to get it right for the run to the Rugby World Cup. And you're right, there is no real rush because if they do appoint Dave Rennie, look he's contracted through until May June with his Japanese club, and no amount of New Zealand dollars is going to attempt Kobe to release him early. You know, if Jammie Joseph were to be appointed the job, they could maybe get him out of the Highlanders. But I think you know, he said obviously got to have a coach in the next couple of months, but I don't think there's any point rushing into a decision, And when they made the decision on January sixteenth, I think it was to part ways with Scott robertson two months or thereabouts felt about rights. In terms of announcement, I think that's probably about where we'll land with this All Blacks coaching job. Bill's News from your way. As we get into the Super rgby teams, lesterfying Onnoku, would you say dropped to the bench for this game against the Brumbies on Sunday afternoon? He had a Barry Crocker on the opening ground against the Highlanders. Not great defensively dropped A lot of ball would be classified as being dropped.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 4: I think that's what it is, certainly bingch and look, they had to get Will Jordan back there obviously after not starting last week. They've got huge raps on shay Fie Harkey on the wedding in terms of what he can offer, particularly defensively and under the high ball.
Speaker 3: They've got Sebby Reese.
Speaker 4: My understanding during the bulk of pre season is that Lester Fying Nuku trained primarily at center, so for me, it was more a discussion around whether it will be Lester fying Anoku or Brighton in or outside the skipper David Harvey in the midfield. But look, it's been a fascinating one for us down here because Lester fying Noku openly, in fact, I sat next to him while he put this on the record, declared himself that he wants to showcase his versatility. He wants to have a familiar a similar role sorry to what he had at Tulin in terms of being a hybrid player where it's start games in the midfield and finish them in the as a flanker. It seems to me, having spoken of Rob Penny and got comments from him on the record on Tuesday of this week, that they're keen to sort of get back to basics with Lester Fyingnook. You get, you know, declutter the mind of the potential of playing as many as three different positions across eighty minutes of rugby and just get back to being the athlete we know he can be. So it'll be fascinating actually to see where he comes on. I suspect it'll be in the midfield, but based on his performance last week drawn a line in the sand here really to say you just can't drop that many balls, You can't have those defensive reads that allowed for that first Highlands try to Caleb Tonguey tell and I don't mind it. I do worry, though there was a lot of excitement about being a hybrid player, we may never see this before it even got off the ground.
Speaker 2: Well, that's right. I mean you don't think you'll see him trotting at number eight in the second half against the Brumbies and the christ which sun on Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say no. And look, look they've got Corey Callo there.
Speaker 4: They've got plenty of depth in the loocifle trands, not as if they need to. And I think it's always just going to be based on the sea situation of a game. But I think to get the best out of lessa finding who's particularly early on he hasn't been in a crusader's environments is twenty twenty three, they should just primarily focus on home being the best center or the best winger, if that's what they decide is his best position. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Not too many other surprises from the Super Rugby team Namings Wednesday. We saw the Blues make a few changes to their pack, none to the back line. Chiefs bring in a couple of all wax Leroy Carter, Simon Parker and Moni Nadawa come back in to their side to head south to the Highlanders who have made just the one change with Ethan the group coming back into the starting side. The Hurricanes. We'll have Royguard and Billy Procter coming off the bench. There's I think seven debutants, in fact, ten debutants. I think it might be across the two fifteens or two twenty threes rather from that, Hurricanes more in a Pacific game, but not too many other surprises from those respective sides, so probably a good chance you'll to run through the weekend. And you've been handed Liam Napiers tipping pen for the week. He got two of five. I got one of five in the opening round. So it wasn't the greatest in all honesty.
Speaker 3: And what was your one? Sorry?
Speaker 2: My one was the Chiefs beating the Blues. His two were the Moratars in the Brumbies. I picked, we both picked the Crusaders. I picked the Reds, we both picked the drawer and I picked the Force. So yeah, tough fold start to the tipping comp for both of us in all honesty, so let's rip in to it. Hurricanes, More one of pacifica gold sport, iHeartRadio seven O five Friday Night More one with a good win in Fiji? Can they back it up at sky Stadium Bules.
Speaker 4: Oh, look, it's not out of the realms of possibility, but you know, I know how much teams, how difficult it is for teams coming back from Lao Toka, and that's just evident based on Tana among his team sheet here where he's made twenty two of a possible twenty three changes. I think miracle fire Lung he's the only survivor after his hat trick and he's been moved back to the bench. While the Hurricanes, you know, it's effectively a one week longer pre season. They've got a lot of class on this team sheet. Jordy Barrett. Of course back from Leinster firepower off the bench as you mentioned, in the form of cameroy guards. So I can't go past the cane training and particularly given I'm here covering for Liam, I'm going to look after my own welfare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to say the Super Round might be, you know, a tough round for you if indeed you were to tip against the Hurricanes when Liam heads it down for that a bit later in the year. So maybe just stick to the stick to the games, which is exactly what I'm going to do. War Tars Fiji and drew a good start from the war Tars last week. I was really impressed by the way they kicked home in the last twenty minutes against the Reds. I can't see the drawer getting close on Friday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very encouraging signs from the war Atars. And it's about time too, you know again, you look at that the class on paper and it's about time that they are really contender and super Rugby Pacific. We saw last year the drewer terrible on the road and until there's evidence to suggest otherwise, I think that could continue.
Speaker 3: And yeah, Chipson for the task.
Speaker 2: Highlander's Chief Saturday Night, seven oh five. Paul Allison, Brendan Laney calling this one on Gold Sport and iHeartRadio. Interesting game, the Chiefs obviously winning in round one. They weren't entirely convincing, but still got the job done. Their favorites for the title Highlanders get too home games at back to back to start the season. What say you, where do you see this one going?
Speaker 4: You know, this is a tough one a call, and perhaps I wouldn't say that a week ago, but kudos to the Highlanders and you know, you look at them without Fabian Holland and Dylan played here and then there's a few question marks here in terms of how well they can contend. We did see last year that they started the season, whether real, hissin orw I think they won two of their first three before the wheels completely came off. So I'm going to go with the outside the home team. I'm going to say they keep on keeping on. Joan and Ariki's fiftieth game, I thought he was super impressive, and in combination with Jacob Ruttamatavuki Niekins and Caleb tonguingtown the back three, I really like Lucas Casey at number eight. Yeah, I didn't see enough from the Chiefs to convince that they're hitting their straps at this point of the season, so I think they're a little bit vulnerable. If you're ever going to beat the Chiefs, I think it's now.
Speaker 2: That's a big call. I'm going to go the Chiefs. Look, but I can see the case for the Highlanders and boy, if they win two from two, the drums are just going to beat there a little bit louder, aren't they fit for Jammie Joseph to be the All Blacks head coach. Force in Blues nine thirty five on Saturday night and jundle up in Western Australia, which I think is about twenty k's outside of Perth. The usual stadiums being used for the Women's Asia Cup, so they're basically playing on this sort of suburban ground on Saturday night. But the Force were pretty disappointing last week. The Blues were in great but I fancy the Blues to get the job done in Perth. What about you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, similar with me. I've got some concerns regarding the this year. I'd like to be corrected, but I think they stand to be one of the sort of easier beats weekend week out. So look, I think the Blues they'll be disappointed. They were clunky, So we're many teams last week, but I think were the week under their belts. Yes, it is a tough road trip to get all the way out to suburban Western Australia. But I think there's enough class there that they should click in together and get their first win of the season.
Speaker 2: And the game you'll be calling Saturday, sorry, Sunday afternoon, three thirty five Crusaders and Brumbies. The TB's got the Brumbies as rank outside is at three forty to the Crusaders one thirty. The Crusaders, you know, were clunky last week and then they had the bench come on, looked a little bit better, but the Brumbies rolled over the top of a pretty poor forced team. This is a fascinating game. Look, I think the Crusaders should win. I'm gonna tip them, but you know, the Brumbies coming to christ Jitch and getting up seat wouldn't necessarily be out of the realms of possibility. Although I did note last night and this stumby that the Brumbies have them won in christ Jurge since the year two thousand, I believe.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I did get some information through that they've never won at Apollo Projects Stadium out in Addington. This is the third to last game the Crusaders will host the Highlanders and the Drawer here before moving into their shiny new indoor arena in Central Town. But yeah, as you read out those odds there, Elliot, it must have been I was thinking gamble responsibly.
Speaker 3: But there's a bit, there's a bit of value there.
Speaker 4: I think this Brumbies team again, like I know, it's the four, so how much do you read into piling on fifty six points in the sun. But Charlie Klee in the back roll and the way their back line was humming. It's an afternoon game and the weather whether it does look good for Sunday afternoon, I think the Brumbies are in with the real sniff. I am going to tip the Crusaders just in terms of history and bounce back from a disappointing showing last week.
Speaker 3: They get Fletcher Mule back as well as a starter.
Speaker 4: They have to Mighty Williams off the bench as well as will Jordan's starting. So they usually put away Australian teams at home. But I'm like you, I wouldn't be shocked if we're sitting here Monday and the Crusader's roun two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's much closer game than friends at the tab. Looking at a couple more things before we go the tipping comp. Of course, you can join us on Rugby Direct podcast, just search it there on the website, which is play Fantasy Rugby dot com. How did you go first week in the fantasy bills?
Speaker 4: Well, speaking of Charlie Calee, I see he was the highest scoring player of the lot in round one, I did not have Charlie cale and Bewley's battlers, which really set me on the back foot. I put my faith and Lester fining Anooko as my captain, and, like many across the codes, play but a nral fantasy and the like. The pressure, the weight of expectation to be a captain and my fantasy teams is obviously too much for mere mortals. And as you outlined earlier, Elliott to Lesta had a bit of a shocker and is now finding himself on the bench.
Speaker 3: So I think I'm.
Speaker 4: About sixty seventh of your ninety odd teams in the Rugby Direct Fantasy comp.
Speaker 3: But it is round one. I'll keep chpping away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm aout same sixty two out of one hundred and three. If you want to join us, please do on at Rugby Direct podcast, searching on the Fantasy website and we are going to dig into the mailbag every Thursday on Rugby Direct. Rugby Direct at inz dot co dot nz. Producer Mark has dug through the mail bag. Got time for one this week. This is an interesting one actually from Steve. What was the point of Super Rugby coming out and saying the two po vi try should not have been awarded It was in the thirty first minute of the game. I understand if it was the last player of the game, but still plenty of footy to be played. That's from Steve and the King Country Love the pod guys, cheap smart. Thanks Steve for your email. I'll throw this to you. Are you first buels? We're Super Rugby right to come out and say that tri shouldn't have been given the green light from Ben O'Keeffe on the.
Speaker 4: Night, I actually didn't mind the transparency, to be totally honest. I think there is an element of gray with this rule and cast my mind back to the British and Irish Lions series last year. In fact, there was an incident in the Six Nations Ireland game at the weekend against Italy. I think it might have been Dan Sheen again diving with the ball where it just seems like referees. It's a little bit open for interpretation where the rule has been in place of the law. Sorry, it has been in place for some time now in terms you can't dive, you know, into into a tackle or over an attempted tackle. So I think it's more a case of giving this publicity because of the nature of the law, as opposed to we got this wrong, we got this right. I cast my one back to the Crusaders Highlanders game, and I know there was a couple of decisions there that Crusaders weren't particularly happy with, but they didn't feel like it needed a full blind forensic investigation and public you know outcry over either. So personally I don't mind it, particularly if we're now going to have more consistency for a law that for me anyway, seems reasonably clear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does seem pretty clear. On the night I had a question mark over it. We talked about it in the commentary box, but it wasn't beside a ruck, so I thought that legally you could be able to do it. But having seen the footage up closed and replayed since then, you can see the Blues defenders I think one of them is Bradley Slater and I can't remember who the other one is, but they're clearly duck and low and TUBOVII is going over the top to evade a tackle. I think that's the nature of how close in defenders are. They're taught to go low, close to the line. I saw them coming. I leaped over the top, clear breach of the rules. But I suspect that they may need to clarify a few things just around you know, when you can be taken in the year, and various things, because there's been a few instants in recent times of defenders jumping over the top try as given, and defenders don't seem to know exactly when they're allowed to make tackles in the year, if they're allowed to make tackles in the year when players are in flight. So I think we'll Rugby needs to come out and clarify. But having seen the footage back subsequently, I think they made the right call. And look, I don't mind them coming out and saying that it was interesting to hear from the Blues who basically were a bit frustrated by the decision and raise the alarm on Saturday night, But also, you know, applauding the transparency even though they don't get five points back, and you know they had plenty of time in that game to cancel out that Chiefs try and they weren't good enough to do so, so five points gone. But Vincotta made a point as well of saying the postmatch that sometimes you've actually in this competition, got to be happy with taking one point away from the game. Sometimes that actually is a not bad return. But having said that, they'll want a few more as they head to Perth on Saturday night. Nick Bully, thank you very much for your time on Rugby Direct. Look forward to catching up on Monday after another big weekend of Super Rugby. Some more Six Nations as well. Call well on Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 3: Appreciate that Elliott, cheers mate.
Speaker 2: That is right me Direct powered by Habit Heath book Today and stay in the game and thanks to Mark Kelly producing, We'll see you Monday.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk sed B. Listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio.