Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talk sat B. Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: Take another pair, Now get on It's trick. It is out, The test is over. The smooth Wow it was a beauty is out and here he goes.
Speaker 3: This delivery has any user to.
Speaker 4: Bowl on the front foot with Brian Waddell and Jeremy Cody, powered by News Talks dead B at iHeart Radio.
Speaker 3: Hi. There we're back on the front foot again the build up to the World Test Championship Final. I'm picking aussy, but South Africa has some exciting talent. They were hardly tested in the preliminary stage. Let's wait to see next week. Here's the final hest the cricket side against splitting the Black Beeps coaching roles, so very stead is on the butt. A sad reflection to start with. One of our good mates and commentary colleague passed away, probably more commonly remembered as Black Apps coach David trist spent some interesting hours with us in the commentary box. One of these joins us to remember him and his passionate whitment to Brigand and Jerry are acorner Man who loved talking about the game and enjoyed long periods of discourse. You did get down to some long discussion VOTs, wouldn't it?
Speaker 5: This could actually go through the whole podcast, wise, couldn't it. I didn't know Dave that well, while will know him probably better. But the very amicable person loved pondering things and teasing out situations, you know, like a piece of wool. His mustache used to twitch with possibilities, didn't it? Always another way that doing something a bit different. He used to see the world slightly different. He used to see the skytower and the beehive and the rest of us saw the main stand.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I do remember him at the Rothmans tournament I went to and under twenty three tournament.
Speaker 6: They're no longer going, are they. I was hell of Aroor.
Speaker 5: I must have been sixteen playing for Wellington. I remember Richard Collins was in the team. It was a tournament played in Canterbury and I don't know how it happened. It cost me a lot, but I scraped into the New Zealand side and alongside the Canterbury trio of Alan hauntsel Dale Hadley and David Tryst, and we played a couple of games, and then we met the winners of the Plunket Shield Auckland at Eden Park and the bowlers sat on the other side of the dressing room, so I wasn't drawn into their talks. And I was, of course twelfth man, so I knew the dressing room quite well by the end of the game. But Dave was a really pleasant man, wasn't he. I mean he just loved talking about the game.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, he and he had a lot of perish and you probably would have played against him more often than with him Wally.
Speaker 7: I played a lot of the in the early days against Tristy. I was at the same tournament that Jeremy was at, and I think I was probably in the same game against Auckland, and I've got an idea. Jeremy my first first class game, I think, and I managed to get a pair and also managed to drop about four catches. So it was at the start of a very long and difficult career for me, really. But I did play a lot with Tristy, and you're right, and everything you say about him, I've got a few words here. I would have found him to be an extremely positive person, extremely thoughtful, loved the long talk about the game, and you're right when he wanted to theorize it was a It was a long and and and sometimes some times I win a wee bit too long because I forgot what he started with sometimes when he started talking about the theories of the game. But I just found in one of those really nice guys you always want to think about. When you meet people and you haven't seen them for a whole season or a summer, or you see them in the new year, and they come up and they shake their hand, they shake your hand and they say, really good to see you. Sometimes you wonder whether they mean it. Tristi's the sort of guy. He wanted to meet you, and he was honest. He wanted to ask about your family. He wanted to talk about the cricket that was going to be on in the next few days. He managed always to talk me into where the next race meeting was at. And was I still interested in being a part owner of a race horse? And I got right through a very long career with him without shit, without giving him any of my money for any of the horses that came fourth and fifth, which Tristie had. He was a guy who was well organized. Though he would not watch a lot of cricket, but he would read a lot of cricket. And when he came to Lancaster Park in those early days when I used to drive up from Dunedin to do some commentary, I really look forward to meeting up with him because he would have a theory on the way the game is going to go. He was just a nice guy to be with and I'm sure that a lot of people around New Zealand would realize it's a sad day for New Zealand when we lose someone from the New Zealand cricket family. And I think if Tristy as someone who was genuinely a big part of that, and he was proud to be part of the New Zealand cricket family. It's something he really took quite seriously.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Coached the Black Caps, he coached Hong Kong, he coached the Netherlands. He coached in South Africa against for the Eastern Province. They won a title there. He took over from Steve Rixon and did a couple of years and of course the ICC champions Trophy, our first international trophy, was one under his leadership as coach and you know, a fun guy. I must admit I did upset him once. I have to, I have to own up. I promised to ring him and I never got through to him. You know what you get when someone's there. You know you cannot be reached at the moment, Can you leave a message? And I did this for about four months until he rang me one day complaining about the fact that I hadn't rung him. I said, I have, I've rung you so many times. What's your number, Tristy? And he gave me the number, which was totally different to the number that I'd been ringing, and I said, I've rung this number. He said, oh no, He said, I lost that phone down in the yard or down in the farm or down in the paddock about five months ago. So I haven't been able to find it ever since. So we had a discussion about his last phone. But it was that was the funny side of Tristy because he could, you know, he could still make a joke about that. And we solved the problems that come between us. And it was about whether he was going to work doing commentary, and I was spoke to ring him tell him yes, he was, so that's one of my memories of Tristie. But touring with him too was also a lot of fun in terms of the discussions that you would have. And I guess you have an affinity Whiley because you've been a coach, You've been in exactly the same situation. You've shared the highs and lows of the team. You live the team fos.
Speaker 7: I suppose.
Speaker 3: But you can only do so much for them. It's when they go out in the park. You can't do anything, can you.
Speaker 7: No, And I do think that Tristy did have a style that was.
Speaker 6: In letter years.
Speaker 7: We've had different types of coaches and everyone is allowed to be themselves when they take over a role as serious as a coach of a national sporting team. But he's very unassuming. He was in the background. He was a supportive coach. He would quietly sit down with players and talk about their family, their job, their ambitions in the game, where they were at, what they would need help with. He wasn't seeking the media, he wasn't seeking the forefront. Quite often you'd see teams arrive back from overseas that Tristy had been in and they'd be at the airport, Tristie would just be one of the guys down the back, just pulling his bags through the airport, quietly, not waving and seeking out someone from the media. He liked to be the supportive type of coach and I think that was quite important in those days because in the time that he took over after Steve Rixon, they weren't easy days. And it certainly isn't easy for a coach to come in and to try and fit himself into the dressing room, to work out where he needs to sit when he needs to speak, how to make sure that everyone's involved in the team, And Tristy was one of those guys who thought about that, and if anything, he really had a sympathetic year for the new players, and I think he he helped bring a lot of new players into the team and slowly change the way the team was run. I think there was quite a strength. As I said before, he's pretty thoughtful, pretty organized, and he was pretty genuine about wanting the team to do well. Not David trist Well. He didn't want to. He didn't want to stamp his mark on the team as if it was his. He genuinely wanted the new Zealand team to perform. Well, yeah he did, Jerry. Only you remember when we were working in commentary set up. I mean a real talk fest was on, wasn't it. Wadle Coney, David trust and of course another man who could probably out talk a lot.
Speaker 3: Of us, Peter Sharp. There was a fairy words delivered in those occasions.
Speaker 5: Weren't they very hard to get on once? You didn't want to actually spores of a sentence at all? Did you somebody cut in immediately and take you down with another idea.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was a busy time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chure was. And you know, Tristy left a lot of good memories and it's said to realize that he's now left us something. In the last couple of years. I don't think he was particularly well, was he.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Trusty in the last couple of years are really battled, I think, And I know it's only about six months ago that I tried to ring and see whether I could go to see him in his place at Little River, But of course he wasn't there, and therefore he was struggling in later life. I just think again about trust Even in his playing days for Canterbury, there were some very big names in the Canterbury teams, and very very successful they were. That were the Colemans and Barry Hadley at the top of the order, and there was Dale and Richard and Alan Hounseill. For a while, Tristy was never one who was getting the headlines. He never made the main newspapers or the main radio commentary. He was always someone who was supportive person even as a player, and I think he continued that in a lot of his life. He was just a very very thoughtful person and always, as I said before, was interested in what people around him were doing. I think that's the real strength that sometimes we don't all share with some of the coaches these days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's said that Tristy has passed away a good friend Twyson. Of course, has probably been a sad week in terms of the New Zealand create family because Robert Jumbo Anderson passed away during the week as well. And funnily enough, he played in the same first eleven at christ Church Boys High School as David Tristan nineteen sixty four. I've seen a photo of that first eleven side. Alan hounsel I think was also in that side as well. I don't remember many of the other players, but a sad passing for Jumbo Anderson I think played in the Test match at the basin review of review Wally when Music beat England.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was there. Jumbo was one of those larger than life characters that occasionally you see around the sporting fields, in particular in cricket. He absolutely loved the game of cricket. He loved people, He loved being around people who loved the dressing room. A couple of things about the way he played, and I don't mean this in any sort of derogatory manner at all, but a lot of players who played with and against Jumbo over the years could say he would absolutely murder a medium paced attack. He could absolutely go out there in Hawk Cup cricket and school record number of runs for Southam for so long and kept the Hawk Cup in that area along with the Alabasters of course. But Jumbo was one of those players in the dressing room if the team was down, someone would be able to turn around, and he had that. I mean, he was a big fellow. He was a big, big smile on his face. When he was batting and he'd hit the ball for four, he looked around and he was waiting for the next ball and he was excited about being there. I'm sure someone in the opposition teams would not see it quite the same way. But when things were going well, yeah, Jumbo kept the whole dressing room alive. And it is sad that, as I said before, New Zealand cricket family had lost another one of the real characters of the game. And a lot of people played a lot of fun games when Jumbo Anderson was around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sad news that two of the family passed away this week and rest in peace, David Tristan and Robert Anderson.
Speaker 8: Brian Waddell, Jeremy Cooney. On the front foot, we.
Speaker 3: Had some news of well senior players getting awards in the Queen's Birthday Honors. Deserved awards joined yours and Jerry's club. Actually, Wally, you've both got the same gongs, haven't you. It's got a different title now in MBE or Member of the New Zealand Order of Merital whatever they call them now, Tim Soudy and Sophie Devine, and we wish them all the best. Congratulations to them and another person who we congratulate nothing to do with the cricket World. Jerry is a friend of ours because he hosted us so many times in Towering and Mount Bong and Ui when we were up there for games. Brian Kelly, the fifty five years he's given to radio got himself an award as well, so that's great news that we can also celebrate.
Speaker 6: Yea, he loves his cars too, doesn't he.
Speaker 5: He'll be hard to get him off that subject when he's having a barbecue.
Speaker 8: Certainly not on the front foot with Waddle and Cody.
Speaker 3: He probably realized it was coming. It had taken so long to fill the coach's role, but Black Caps coach Gary stead'shighly successful seven years in charge of the national side officially comes to an end when his contract finishes. Stead, who last month confirmed each step away as coach of the White Wall formats, was effectively ruled out of contentions for the head coach role after New Zealand Cricket opted for one head coach across all three formats. Seven years with some undoubted highlights.
Speaker 9: I think the clean sweep of India last year three mila in India, considering it'd never been done before, is probably the biggest highlight of the moment. We won the World Test Championship obviously that's another one. I think making what three finals and ICC events in that time as well shows the consistency that the team has played with, and that's been one of the things I have always said that I think Mike Essen and Brenda McCullum had left the team in a really good spot and what we needed to do was keep finding ways to be consistent more often. And I think on the whole that's been that's been done recently, well.
Speaker 3: He probably expected they might not split the roles, but he doesn't feel let down by New Zealand Cricket.
Speaker 9: Look, I understood that that was there was a fair chance that that could happen, and that that that that going down the route of one coach was a model that they might still still look to take. And look, I accept that there's there's no sort of Harbor's grudge from me on on that side at all. That's the direction they think is best for the team. So and that's ultimately all I want as well.
Speaker 3: And as of now, nothing new on the horizon.
Speaker 9: Look, I mean I want to stay involved in coaching. It's it's something I'm passionate about. I enjoy seeing individuals. I enjoy seeing teams try and maximize their performance. So I'll try and take some of the learnings that I've had in the in the last well thirty years really of of domestic and international sport and see what I can apply and maybe you've used to other people in the future. But look, I still want to have an involvement in cricket as well because I think it's a game that's given so much to me as well, and.
Speaker 5: The game has changed a lot even in that seven years.
Speaker 8: When you think about it, you don't have to look at the IPL for a start off, don't you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Look, I mean the franchises I think has made the role of head coach a little bit more challenging than what it was. And there's certainly a lot more pressure on players now to look well, there's more pressure coming from the outside for them to look elsewhere with opportunities. And I still think that's a good thing though, that players can maximize their earnings. But I think it is important from a New Zealand cricket point of view that we do preserve the specialness and importantness I guess importance of what that silver means on the chest.
Speaker 3: So there's going to be only just the one coach Warren Le's that was what you did as coach of the New Zealand side. I sense the game has changed dramatically since you were coaching. Hasn't any and the thanes since you were in charge?
Speaker 7: I should imagine it really has. And there are times when I think back on those days and think, how do we ever get on going to Pakistan with that first team where all we didn't have We had a physio and we had a manager and we had a radio commentator and that was a lot. These days, you know, there's a big support staff. I think in Gary Steed's case, he's carried a big, big burden over the last few years.
Speaker 6: He's done it so well.
Speaker 7: He's done it so much in the style of the old fashioned coaches. He's been in the background. He's been an organizer. I think he's been the chairman of the board in a way as far as the black Caps are concerned. He's had four or five or even more that he's probably had six or seven other coaches, bolloling coaches, fielding coaches, batting coaches, people coming in with psych service and different things. So he's had a lot of people to organize, but he's done it well. And he's also taken over a team that Mike Hessen in a way had developed along with obviously Brendan McCollum, and he's had the same style or a wee bit as his more in the background, but obviously paddling very much under the water and knowing exactly what's going on. I think he's done a remarkable job. And while we can say it's sad to go, I like his comments about well, there is a time, there is a time to move on, that it's not the end of the world, and there are other things he could he may be looking at, and I certainly hope he is, but there's also a time for family, and he's mentioned that so he knows there are other responsibilities. I think congratulations to Gary Stead for the way he's worked so hard at his game from way back in the day when he when he played for New Zealand and it wasn't a long career as a player, but he knew that cricket was in his blood and cricket was something he really wanted to be involved in, and he worked his way up from the bottom of the ladder to taking the top team. I think he's done a remarkable job and I just hope that New Zealand Cricket in some way can reward him in the future and not just forget him. And I also hope they're organized with the replacement and the style of the replacement that they bring in to take over from Garystead.
Speaker 5: I mean from a personal reaction from my distance that I observed Stead, he always was diligent and hard working, a very organized guy. Seemed very well planned. The New Zealand side clearly meant a lot to him, and he was passionate about, you know, developing his charges and trying to get consistency of performance from them. He tended to retain players and be loyal to them, and I think in New Zealand, with not many in the community there her play cricket, that that's not a bad idea at all.
Speaker 6: He was loyal to them and they were loyal to him, perhaps because he selected them.
Speaker 8: And kept on doing so.
Speaker 5: But I mean some thought at times he held on to some players just a little bit long, and there would be some also thought that the Wagner and Sow the episodes towards the end was a little bit uneven treatment.
Speaker 6: But overall, you.
Speaker 5: Know, you cast your eye down the list of achievements and he was right at the top of that. It's an extraordinary list, isn't it really, guys? You know, from runner up in that ODII in twenty nineteen to the winning the World Test Championship and all the semi finals that he made in t twenties and ODI's the clean sweep of India just last year surely highlight for him, and then just recently the runner up and the champions truck. I mean, it's a very impressive list for such a small nation and he, as I say, oversaw all that and we only get about what is at six to seven percent of the division of the money and distribution I think.
Speaker 6: From World Cups.
Speaker 5: And you've also got to remember we haven't lost too many players yet to sort of franchise fixtures all the time. Players even like Seifered and Finale and and Nicham and Conwan Williamson more recently, they still are keen to come back and play for New Zealand when there are international opportunities. When they arrived, whether it's red or white ball, not the same in the West Indies, not the same in South Africa. You know, so I think really he's done a terrific job. You know, whoever's going to be the next coach? And I see they interviewed Shane Bond and Urson Ronkey and Rob Walter, so you'd assume one of those Stead himself didn't get an interview. You just hope that they can get similar sort of performances out.
Speaker 6: Of the players.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 3: Well we're going to be looking to see who are the front runners word out of the dark corners. No one will confirm it that it's basically between Rob Walter and Shane Bond, but we will have to wait and see what New Zealand Cricket delivered. When it comes to the new coach, she's going to head New Zealand.
Speaker 8: Brian Waddell Jeremy Cooney on the front foot.
Speaker 3: We have a boarding announcement here a boarding announcement for mister j Coney. Your flight to London leaves shortly. You're after the World Test Championship. We've better have a quick look at that before you go. I picking Australia.
Speaker 6: Oh wow, that's a good call, isn't it. Here was above?
Speaker 5: Well, if you if you look at any figures, and I'm a kind of a that's where I make a start.
Speaker 6: Really, not that they mean that much.
Speaker 5: Really, you look at the number of tests that say Australia have played seven hundred and fifty. If you go through each player, select your side and go through each player, add up the number of tests they played seven to fifty, and then you look at South Africa three hundred and thirty seven, so two times the number of tests plus seventy six.
Speaker 6: You look at the number of runs they've scored, They've scored seventy seven more.
Speaker 5: And if you go down the averages of each of those players and each of the sides, three seventy would be the average score.
Speaker 6: Of course it never.
Speaker 5: Happens, but you know what I mean what I'm doing, I'm getting a collective average from all the Australian players who might play, and then doing the same for South Africa and South Africa two ninety three and Australia three hundred, and then the hundreds that the players.
Speaker 6: Have scored fifty five.
Speaker 5: For the difference between the two, Australia fifty five more hundreds in their team than South Africa.
Speaker 6: That's a hell of a lot. Smith has scored himself.
Speaker 5: Fifteen more hundreds than the entire South African side. So those figures clearly say that Australia would be set favorites. I think I don't know what you guys feel about the size themselves, because this is a one off test, isn't it. But Australia have the players. They've been together for a long time as a team. You know, they have a few changes around the edges, but it's in the engine room. You know that Kowaja, Labershane Smith head Care, all the quips, Lion Green's you know joined recently and even more so than Guy Webster.
Speaker 6: But you know they all.
Speaker 5: Experienced different conditions and they found answers. They solved problems on the field. South Africa can't match that. Their top players are going to have to really play well. Robarda Jansen the left armor and then maybe in the batting Aiden, Markram and Bavooma are the ones. They all have to play at their peak really, just the same as Richard Hadley did in eighty five against the Australians when he was way better than the Australian fast bowlers and thirty three wickets and three Tests. So Robarda and Juhnson have to be able to do that really, and the players who support them, both seamers in the cordon and the keeper have to hold everything.
Speaker 6: But their batting is fallible.
Speaker 5: You know, Rickleton and Desaucei at the top ten tests and eleven tests, Beddington in the middle number five. Only twelve test stubs might play nine tests. They just can't quite match the Aussies and whatever metric that you call. But it's a one off test, straight shootout.
Speaker 6: I mean, if it's.
Speaker 5: Murky on day one and in the South Africa Bowl, Robarda is good enough if he plays well to make a mess of a top order and if it's dry. Maharaj I think is a very fine left armor as well. But the batting doesn't forge confidence. I've got to say most of the average of low.
Speaker 3: Surgeons looking at the Australian squad wally, they're still trying to find an opening to go with Kawaja, aren't they.
Speaker 7: Well, I must admit I looked yesterday at both teams and as Juramy probably agree with me, I don't follow it that closely, but I couldn't recognize because we don't see them often enough, and they don't play as much, perhaps, but I didn't recognize enough of the South African names to think that they had it's to players. And you go through the Australian team and really you can just about reel offen eight, nine, ten players who are very very good players and very experienced players. And I know, as you say, they're still uncertain about their two opening batsmen, but any two of probably four of their players are so well organized at this level that I could only see in a five day game without weather intervening and things like that, I could only see Australia winning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they South Africa don't seem to come up with the team to win at the business end, Jerry Dog. They've always sort of flattered to deceive. Yes, they're going to win. We've got a chance. They've got a chance. But they don't seem to quite make it at any time, do they.
Speaker 5: Well, they've made finals in the t twenties, haven't they in the last last year, both the men and the women. They're getting better, but I think in a Test match in five days, we all know the better side has the time as long as it's available to assert their superiority. I mean, if you had to pick a combined team between the Aussies and the South Africans, I reckon maybe markrom at the top to go with Kwaja, but Smith over Bavooma.
Speaker 6: You'd pick a head.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: Then the fast bowl is come and stark Lion, perhaps Ribada might make the side, so you could only really see I think two of the South Africans pushing for a position in that combined eleven and it kind of gives you an idea about the two sides.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed, Well it's going to be interesting. It starts next week at Lords and Jeremy will be there. He's getting on the plane. Wally will be able to sit back in now living rooms and watch through the night. You know, there's plenty of cricket to be watched through the night. I know you both do it on a regular basis, watching cricket in the armchair at two o'clock in the morning while I'm fast asleep. I don't have time for that sort of carry on. So we wish Jerry all the best, and I hope he sleeps on the flight because I think he's getting off the plane and going straight to Lords.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I am actually straight from straight from Singapore, arrive in England and go straight to Lord's. It's great, isn't it. I'll have a sleep there. Actually that's what I normally do in common so you know that anyway, was yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 7: Well. I can remember often turning around in the commentary box to see you stretched out and on the back, eyes closed, and with that twitching hip you've had for a few years, which obviously been fixed. But there was a long wait to get to get the new hip.
Speaker 3: Wasn't it?
Speaker 6: It was mate? It was mate?
Speaker 5: Have you because IRV McSweeney's had a new hip done in the last three or four months.
Speaker 6: Ian Smith has had us have done as well, you keepers.
Speaker 7: My problem was Monees even though you thought the ball went into the gloves quite often me on the on the end of.
Speaker 3: The yeah, I got something else, had a good bottle of gin. That'll be help, wouldn't it?
Speaker 7: One win missing one time?
Speaker 3: Remember one to one went missing? But never mind. We're not going to carry on about that now. We're going to wish Jerry all the best to the best flight over there and enjoy the World Test Championship. So we'll talk to you in the u k.
Speaker 8: J C yep.
Speaker 6: Thanks once. Yeah yet by all means.
Speaker 7: Being too much on my prison.
Speaker 3: That's all.
Speaker 6: I'll get that new knee for you.
Speaker 3: Thanks guys, talking to your Niga summer.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talks at b listen live on air or online, and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio