Speaker 1: You're listening to the Resident Builder podcast with Peter Wolfcamp from news talks at by Mens twice god once but maybe called Pete first. Peter wolf Camp, the Resident Builder News Talk said, by.
Speaker 2: The house sizzle even when it's dark, even when the grass is overgrown in the yard, even when the dog.
Speaker 3: Is too old to borrow, and when you're sitting at the table trying to stop scissor home, even when.
Speaker 4: We are ban, even when you're.
Speaker 3: Therellone house sizzle given when those goals, even when you go around home the ones you love your most.
Speaker 4: Scream, broken pains, appel and fund, the.
Speaker 2: Locals vestible when they're going and leaving them.
Speaker 3: Even when we ban, even when you're in there alone.
Speaker 4: And a very very good morning, and welcome along to the Resident Builder on Sunday. You're with me Peak wolf Camp, the Resident Builder, and we are going to talk all things building and construction and maintenance and extensions and legislation and product selection, and possibly we could even talk about tools. That's a fairly essential part of any sort of DIY or building project. And in fact, I had a very just briefly, I had a very happy moment yesterday where actually it wasn't actually that happy. At the beginning. I was trying to get some jobs done, and I had fabricated up a piece of bullnos essentially, so you know, timber stairs, right, typically are rounded over at the front of a sort of convental older style timber stair. And I've been working on with a couple of guys replacing the decking on a verandah at the back of the house and so where it links into the stairs that go down. I thought, well, instead of just having the decking board extending over the riser, I'll make up a piece of bullnose so to look like the rest of the fronts of the treads. And so I made this up, and I had to send it through the saw and effectively cut a tongue onto a piece of timber so that it would fit into the groove of the tongue groove decking right, And I'd made all of that, and I thought it fitted okay, and I tested a piece, and then when I went to put it in yesterday, it was just slightly oversized, like half a millimeter or something like that. Anyway, it was very frustrating, and I was starting to get a bit annoyed with myself, and I thought, now, I've got to take a couple of millimeters off this tongue. But if I send it through the saw, it'll wobble. If I try and set up a router table, it's going to take me ages. And so I thought, hang on, I've got an old rebaiting plane. And if you know what a rebating plane is, you'll know exactly what I mean. It's a old well, there's a variety of the mine is an old metal one. When I say old, I reckon it's probably about seventy maybe eighty years old. And I fossicked around in one of the toolboxes where I keep my old tools, grabbed it, set it up, took a mill and a half or a mill off the side of this little tongue that i'd rebated, spot primed it, popped it in, worked a treat, and I thought that, you know, so old tools like that. I've kept it for donkeys years and i'd probably use it je I might not even use it once a year. But I had it and it worked, and it's old, and I felt absolutely fantastic about it. So anyway, I'll tell you a bit more about that little project. So tell me about your project. Tell me what's happening at your place. Are you renovating, are you extending? Are you thinking about working with contractors? Are you confused about changes to the legislation. Speaking of the legislation last week, it was delight to have it was really good to have Chris Pink available to just talk about a couple of things that are changing around, in particular the bcas the building consent authorities and the processing of that. A little bit of discussion around maybe some further powers for the building Standards or the Building Standards, the Licensed Building Practitioners Disciplinary Board to deal with contractors that don't perform well. There's a whole host of new legislation and I did say to the Minister at the time, look if I feel there's more to discuss, and he made the offer of coming into the studio to take calls from you if you've got any specific building legislation questions, and so we can lock in that date the eleventh of May, Chris Pink, the Minister for Building in Construction, will join me here in the studio for an hour. We can talk, you can ask questions. Should be really good session that's coming up coming up in a couple of weeks time. But right now it's your opportunity. So if you have a project that's underway, or a project that you're thinking about starting, or a project that well to be blunt, the wheels have fallen off a little bit like my moment yesterday where you just go, you know, do I hit it with a bigger hammer and just smack it and hope that it fits in? Or by doing that, do I risk you know, split in the tongue or spell the groove or denting the nose. And you just go, take a breath, take a step back, think about a solution, execute the solution, put it together. Job done. Oh, eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to call. Give us a call, love to talk to you this morning. We're taking your calls right through till eight thirty. I don't have any other guests booked in. And then of course we're talking to climb Past who will join us at around eight thirty to talk all things gardening and the wonderful world of bugs. But right now it's your opportunity to ask questions, to discuss, to debate, if you wish to make a few comments, all things building, and Construction. A very good morning and welcome along to the resident builder on Sunday and Kate, A very good morning to you. Good morning, hey there, how are you doing?
Speaker 5: Why are you?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 7: Well, come to the end of my new build project. I haven't probably remember speaking to me P. Four, But look, I had good builders on site. I think they did a good job. We did five failed inspectors, but we got there in the end and we're sort of at practical completion. And in order to get my insurance, I have to have a final inspection, yes, which and now I now need help with because I need help preparing the documents that the LBP who was supervising was never there and he's the business owner and he's now refusing to come to the final inspection, so I'm left doing it on my own. He won't he won't even talk to me, and he won't answer my emails, so I think he sort of moved on. But you know, people on site were fine, but he's been quite difficult. So I've got to prepare for this final inspection. I called the council and they gave me a list and they said, your LBP should be there because we're going to ask questions, and if he is not there and you can't answer, it's going to fail.
Speaker 4: So I am worried Pete understandably, and I'm disappointed to hear that that's the attitude that they can. I just run through a couple of quick questions. So the nature of the build. Was it a full contract fixed price? Was a labor only charge up? What was the how did you run the contract?
Speaker 7: It was an NZCB contract six price. But I got a kit set and they supplied that some of the materials up to the substore and then the kit set came in and they assembled the kit set and they had subcontractors they had. I did ask for particular contractors and they said no, no, you must use eyes, so I said the User Grouping Association. And then they insisted on using THEIRS for the rest. But in the fixed price, he forgot to include the most of the electricians, the plumbing fit off and the drainage was at the last minute given to me. So you know, the price changed and I queried it, and then I also queried some changes that he brought in for the PC sums because he reduced some dramatically. Is to make it look as if I owed nothing, and then he sort of walked away and left me to do all the project management and get some other jobs that he just took away. So I've I had to go to school on doing all that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, we didn't want to talk to me. Yeah, to be fair is a little bit disappointing obviously, and particularly like you know, if there was something in the contract that said, because of the nature of the contract and the fact that you've managed some of it yourself, you know, I won't be there at the final inspection. So okay, So in terms of preparing for the final inspection, you may actually not need an enormous amount of documentation at this stage. That's typically the application for a code compliance certificate right so CCC, and at that time you will need to have because ultimately this is a little bit of a challenging thing with cccs, the responsibility because the consent, the building consent will be in your name, so the responsibility to lodge a CCC is also your responsibility. Now, in many cases clients or homeowners get their builder, their main contractor to do the work because they're familiar with it, or it happens within the sort of administration of the business, right, So I think what might happen is that you will book a final inspection. The inspector will come out. You know, I know that there's a lot of talk at the moment about from building inspectors as in council building inspectors going look, this is the failure rate for inspections. To be fair, I've never expected, and this might not sound that great, I've never really expected to pass a final inspection on the first run. Right, Typically there'll always be something that the inspector picks up, whether it's a vacuum breaker on an outside tap, or a bit of missing selant around a corner of a vanity that the tiler missed out, or something like that. So as long as they're relatively minor, it's not that unexpected, in which case your book of final inspection you'll be there. The inspector will go through the house the unless you you with a list, so not a notice to fix, just a final checklist, right, that will give you an idea of what it is that you have to get done. Now, if some of those tasks are tasked that your main contractor should have done, you can ring the main contractor or send them the email, because it'll come to you as an email, send that on and just go. I'd like you to come and attend to these items please, and if you need to contact the drain layer of the plumber or something like that, you can do that. So then I think it's not unreasonable to ask the main contractor, even if they're not talking to you at the moment, that it's their responsibility to come back and sort that out. Once those things have been done, you can book a recheck hopefully everything gets ticked off, at which time you can then go ahead and do the application for a CCC. I think if there doesn't seem to be any reasonable grounds for the contractor not to engage, I think that they're actually in breach of their responsibilities under I was going to say the new Code of Ethics for Licensed Building Practitioners, it's actually not that new now. It was issued in October twenty twenty two. Seemingly some lbps are not aware of their responsibilities. They've never read it, they've never taken the time, and I think that you could remind them, and the fact that your contractor is a member of Certified Builders New Zealand. You know, if you feel you're not getting good response, then potentially you could go to them and just go, look, this is the nature of my dealings with one of your members and asked them to maybe give him a call and have a quick word in his ear.
Speaker 7: Well, I did that and set aside buildings are quite good. Good and yeah, and they did get the dialogue going again by email. It has dropped off because they forced me to pay the final amount which I was holding that. It wasn't much paid, it was under seven thousand dollars. I just better hold something so that they, you know, want to help me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean when more.
Speaker 7: They just said, oh, well, we want an unrestricted access and we might have to c back building, you know, all these things. It's quite threatening. So I paid off everything, even though I feel that I don't really owe it.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it depends a little bit on the nature of the contract. So if, for example, in the contract and in the payment schedule you said final final payment will be made on basically passing the final inspection, which is not unreasonable, then you could hold back money because they haven't done that. But if that's not in the contract, then yeah, holding back money. It's tricky.
Speaker 8: Territory.
Speaker 7: Well I didn't hold back money.
Speaker 4: No good on you, okay, And then again you would like to think then that if you didn't hold back money, that your contractor would then step forward and continue to engage with you and come and do the I mean you know, final inspection. You're absolutely right. It's much easier and it's hopefully got a better chance of success if the contractor is there, right, have a look at We're going to move on, but have a look at the Just go to the LBP website, have a look at the Code of Ethics potentially, if you're not getting some engagement from the contractor, remind them of their responsibilities under the Code of Ethics, and then go ahead and book the final inspection regardless even if you don't. If you feel the work is done, go ahead book that, get that underway, and then let the contractor know, Hey, these things are not complete or haven't passed inspection. Obviously your work's not finished. Please let me know when you can be here, get these things done, and then maybe next call that you and I have might be around how to prepare for the Code of Compliance inspection. Lovely to hear from you. Hope it goes well, and please let us know how you get on. Oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is then number to call. It's twenty two minutes after six. We'll talk to Dave after the break.
Speaker 1: Doing up the house storting the guard and asked Pete for a hand the resident builder with Peter Wolfcap call OH eight ten eighty Newstalgs'd be At the.
Speaker 4: Beginning of the show. I mentioned something I was doing yesterday where I just needed to take a sliver of timber off the side of a tongue that I machined onto a piece of sill board basically, and I hadn't got my tolerances right, so I needed to take a mill off and I used I don't know where I even got it from, but I had this old what i'd call a rebate plane, and I've done it actually just out of curiosity, did a quick search for it and it turned up on the Vintage tool Shop website from Australia and in one one six' three Vintage. Karter because it's got that stamped on the, Side australia number seventy eight Duplex rebate Rabbit plane eighty five. Bucks i'll hang on to.
Speaker 9: It for.
Speaker 10: That.
Speaker 4: Thanks i'm not going to sell it for eighty five.
Speaker 9: Bucks it's.
Speaker 4: Great ACTUALLY i used another old tool too THAT i had two guys give me a hand this, week two builders that worked for a made of, mine and SO i was the lackey on this. PROJECT i just made sure that they could just get stuck in and do the. Work you, Know i'll tell you about that tool a little bit later on this. Morning right, here let's get into. It, dave good, Morning good.
Speaker 11: Morning how were?
Speaker 4: Youting, So i'm very, well thank you and yourself?
Speaker 11: Good, yeah not too. Bad, Now i've got a forty five year old. Home now the, Thing i've got wooden stairs that come up to the front. Door, now the Problem i'm having is it's so it's got a block, based brick and tile. Roof nothing wrong, home but the driveway is dropping right at the end has dropped about ten millimeters the driveway and at the front door or near the front of the house is dropped around twenty. Millimeters, now the white dropped is because it is a. Driveway so in the last five years and just in the last few, months they've built a retaining wall there where my driveway.
Speaker 9: Is and.
Speaker 11: New houses have been built, right so new was right next. Door so, Sorry they've built the retaining, wall So i'll get there putting the drain flow and all the drainage in that. Properly so what's happened is they've drained the waters draining from my. Driveway that makes my driveway sink. Down and now what's happened is that the stairs to my front door has, moved so they move like twenty. Millimeters so on the like the the rail that goes up to my front, door it's like you can put your fingers through. It so it's like a one centimeter. Gap you can see the nails on the railing and on the platform the nails have popped up like probably five. Millimeters you, know they're like twisted a. Bit they popped up. There AND i mentioned the company THAT i got to have looked at it or.
Speaker 4: Not, no it's not probably, really that's.
Speaker 10: RIGHT i.
Speaker 11: GOT i got five different, quotes Oh cray five five, quotes probably two or three of. Them they were more like fence guys. Fencing, Yes so they they quoted me on doing. It and the prices were that they were quite like they were like double of one price that there were quite quite a big difference, Anyway and, ANYWAY i wasn't happy with it because no one could actually tell, me you, know how they could actually fix this. Problem and what what from WHAT i? KNOW i, MEAN i just get ninety nine percent for school steam would?
Speaker 4: Work just just tell, Me dave The so the stairs are? Timber are they open? Treads closed? Treads so is it like a the tread that you stand on as a single piece of wood with a solid riser then another tread than a riser or is, it you, know a couple of stringers with the treads and then an open. Riser what type of steeds are?
Speaker 11: They i'm, sultan it would BE i would say the almost be at least fifty millimeters, thick, yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay and the steers there's how many? Steps about five or?
Speaker 11: Six?
Speaker 4: Okay the?
Speaker 11: Platform the platforms like a meter square that it goes up to the glass front.
Speaker 4: Door, yeah and the platform has stayed level or has that dropped as? Well the?
Speaker 11: Platform, yeah it is slightly, twisted, sure.
Speaker 4: Slightly and how is the? Platform how are the platform and the stairs attached to the?
Speaker 12: Driveway, well there is a couple of posts on the you, know there is a there is a couple of. Posts they, are but it has moved because the driveways drop down that twenty.
Speaker 11: Millimeters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Sure i'm wondering whether part of the solution might be, that you, know like you could pull the stairs off and rebuild them to the new, level because having a twenty mile difference and a step is actually a bit of a trip. Hazard or potentially you could remove the fixings from the ground so if it's on a, post it might have a bolt or a couple of nails through it and cut through, those adjust the treads a little. Bit and it's sort of one of those THINGS i often talk about, it especially with old, houses that you sort of have to humor, things right that we know that nothing will be perfect with old, houses so you adjust, them finess, them massage it a little, bit and you get a reasonable. Solution and that's Why i'm. Wondering if the stairs are still, sound even if the ground has, dropped you might be able to pack the stair up just so it's not racking and, twisting and then put a connection between the ground level and the post to hold it in place and just make it. Good otherwise you're talking about a rebuild AND i suspect that any, movement AND i think you're right in identifying that it's probably moved as a result of the new, drainage that that will have subsided to a certain point and. Stop SO i don't think you'll get too much more movement on the driveway now that the work is being. Completed BUT i think it feels like it's sort, of you, know a little bit of a, massage a little bit of, finessing and you should be able to just adjust the, stairs but do be aware that you don't want significant differences between the steps because that often then becomes a trip. Hazard so good luck with that, Project, dave And i'm sure you'll be able to find a contractor who'll come and do the. Work it is six point thirty two here at News Talk SET. Pep we'll talk To arthur straight after the.
Speaker 1: Break whether you're, petiss fixing The, feds or wondering how to fix that hole in the. Wall Give peter Wolf cap call on eighty the resident builder On News dogs' b good.
Speaker 4: Text regarding our first, Caller Actually kate talking about getting sign off final inspection on a relatively compact house that she's. Built seems ironic, now says the text To, andy seems ironic now that we'll be able to build a small house without a. Consent YET i want to build a thirty six square meter engineered garage as in the company will do the entire, job nothing special as far as setbacks or. Sidelines yet my local council want a minimum of fifteen hundred dollars for a. Consent she, Is, Andy, WELL i think that's exactly what The, ministry let's, say wants to circumvent. That you, know what is it that you get via fifteen hundred? BUCKS i guess what you do get is the surety around. It you know that potentially for a person looking to purchase the place in years to, come that they'll, Go, ah there's a building, consent there's a record of all of the, inspections there's a final, inspection there's A ccc attached to. IT i can be confident that the work was done according to the building. Code if we can build buildings without necessarily requiring a building, consent how do you actually know that they're built to the building? Code that'll be an interesting. One we might mention that when we're talking to The Minister Chris penk when he joins us in the studio in a couple of weeks Time, arthur very good morning to.
Speaker 8: You, heah good, Morning. Peter Hey. PETER i wonder how many how much radio time is lost with people saying how are you.
Speaker 13: Of?
Speaker 8: That every.
Speaker 4: MORNING i think it's a worthwhile, investment to be. Fair it is the glue that binds us our civility and our social. Contracts so there you, go, Right.
Speaker 8: Peter i've got a question about a company that does underpinning of buildings and. Housing you see them advertise ON tv quite a bit yip by the injecting some sort of expansion. Compound, yes So i'm my question for this is to do with a house and. Underpinning have you had any experience of this company or of a company using this type of, system and whether it's worked well, enough.
Speaker 4: Yes well or?
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 4: Sure SO i think you're probably talking about Main, mark AND i haven't used them, myself BUT i know of a first hand experience of a couple of people who. Have, so for, example someone who had a two story brick and Tile it had a single garage on the ground floor and the corner of that which was the corner of the building was, slumping and so they came, Along they set, up they injected the expanding eurothane foam basically underneath the core owner of the. Building they continued to inject until the building started to, rise and when it got to the right height they stopped and it. Worked AND i know of one other contractor who's had it done as. Well, Certainly i'm aware that it comes at a, premium but from the people That i've spoken, with it does seem to.
Speaker 8: Work, YEAH i THINK i think the premium that is the ability to do that, well at least from WHAT i, see the ability to do that without having to get diggers and mechanically underpinning a, building which in many, cases either due to access or, whatever would be very, tricky whereas the system seems like it's a good.
Speaker 4: Solution and then cod WHERE i got to as, well that you kind of go, Okay so, yes that is you, know it comes with the price. Tag what's my? Alternative and you, know for this one That i'm familiar, with you a two story building with a concrete slab that's slumped in one. Corner you, know how AM i going.
Speaker 9: To jack it? Up you?
Speaker 4: Know doing obviously you need to get in you'd need to get, excavators you'd need to get underneath it and then use jacks to lift the. Building then you've got to then pump concrete in there to underpin it and all the rest of. It, now maybe it's not suitable for every single, site BUT i have had a fairly lengthy discussion with one of their technical people some years ago because there was a project THAT i was looking at that had significant slumping in one. Corner and it was slightly complex because you could see that the building was slumping because it was adjacent to a retaining wall that wasn't particularly, firm which was on top of a slope and so. On so you, KNOW i wondered, whether, gosh you, know how much foam will we? Need and they that's where it gets challenging for, them as they kind of, go, well we know when we've lifted the, building but we don't always know what the ground conditions, are and so we don't really know how much foam and how much foam we, use as foam is probably not the right word how much material we, use and we'll know when we've done the, job when the building's back where you want it to be, Right.
Speaker 8: But in two instances at least that you've had knowledge, of it has been. Successful, yes. Right associated, question which is as An english system of waterproofing basement areas or WHEN i say basements areas that are built into the. Ground, yep And i'm talking here sort of sixties. Construction we're rather than trying to dig away from the wall and do the, standard put a membrane on the outside and go through all of, that which would be very costly and messy and. Difficult that there's An english. SYSTEM a North shore company does it where they put a very heavy membrane on the. Inside it's it's almost a plastic thing with drains and all sorts of, stuff so they are attacking the problem from the. Inside you, KNOW i don't want to give the name of that company or are you familiar with a system like, That.
Speaker 4: Yes BECAUSE i wonder whether we might be talking about the same, Person but for courtesy's, sake we'll leave their name out of.
Speaker 13: It so.
Speaker 4: There's a couple of different. Systems And i've certainly seen if you watch you, Know Grand designs or any of These english home renovation, Shows i've seen that where it's effectively an entire membrane that goes on the front with it's sort of accepting the fact that you'll never stop the water coming, through so let's control it and direct it. Away there are other systems where you can use a crystalline solution which penetrates through the masonry seeking out, water and when it encounters, water the crystals expand and block off the. Pathway so that's something Like cemex crystal proof that might be a solution as. Well there are these other. Systems then there is another one That i'm aware of BUT i don't know too much about it, yet that a guy THAT i met at a building survey as conference was telling me about the other. Day SO i think there are solutions out, there and that's all accepting the fact that we know that the best solution is not to let moisture into the building by doing the moisture barrier on the. Exterior but if that's not, practical then controlling it on the inside. Work so, YES i am aware of those systems as, well.
Speaker 8: And that particular one where they're doing it from the, inside not the crystal, line but using a very thick membrane and then as you, say directing it. Outside have you actually come across that or.
Speaker 4: TIME i haven't seen it, Myself, no So i'm quite. Keen you, know if someone was doing, It i'd be quite happy to go out and have a.
Speaker 8: Look, yeah, okay thank you lovely to.
Speaker 4: Talk, Actually i'll tell you What arthur just st down the, Line and if you could Let, isaia my, producer know the name of the, company that would be really, helpful if you don't. MIND i, am after, all a fairly curious. Person it is six forty three here At News TALK, Cp, Folks i've gone down the rabbit. Hole SO i started off by talking about this rebate plane THAT i dragged out yesterday and used successfully to solve a particular. Problem THEN i THOUGHT i should really check the, name you know what the appropriate name. Is Then i've ended up on a vintage tool, website and Now i'm. Off i'm looking at all this stuff, that you, know beautifully, prepared beautiful old rebate, planes router. Planes do you remember? Those from? WOODWORK i certainly. Do woodwork class about nineteen seventy eight nineteen seventy nine with Mister buckton having to make what looked like a little sailing, ship and we had to do a rebate and we use the rebate. Plane don't know whether it was a marble or a record, one but we certainly use them in the woodwork. Class don't have one of, those don't know THAT i need? One might not stop me buying one sixteen minutes away from seven. O'clock we'll talk To doug straight after the. Break squeaky door or squeaky.
Speaker 1: Floor get the right advice From Peter, wolfcare the resident builder on us TALKS mb just a quick.
Speaker 4: Explanation someone sticks, Through Hey, pete why can some people not mention company? Names but you can when you feel like. It there's a smart ass response to, that Which i'll restrain. From but, look one of the Things i'm conscious of is if people ring and have a particular dispute with a. Company Now i'm not involved with that. DISPUTE i don't know all of the, details SO i tend to err on the side of caution and, say it's probably best that you don't mention that company because what you say might be, liabeleists or it might not be the entire, truth or there's more to the. Story we know that that's the, nature that's human. Nature isn't. It so IF i mentioned, companies it's because either they're well, known like our previous conversation Main, mark we know that they advertise ON, tv et. Cetera so it's not really a. Secret And i'm also in that situation where If i've encountered people and i've And i've really enjoyed the experience with, them Or i've used their products AND i know, them then, yeah why WOULDN'T i talk about? Them BUT i do want to be cautious ABOUT i suppose being fair and, equitable and so in some Cases i'll say to, people, know there's no need to mention the company in a fair ENOUGH i, Think oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is that number to Call? Doug how you? Doing?
Speaker 9: See how's?
Speaker 14: Yourself very?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 14: Yeah yeah?
Speaker 4: Joinery, yeah talking about your, router you would HAVE.
Speaker 14: I wouldn't join, you wouldn't?
Speaker 10: You?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely well this was SO i got a bit of sill, board you know how on an old villa window at the bottom of the across on the, inside you'll often have about a forty mili high board with a concave surface or convex surface on, it which is the sill, board and THEN i got some of that which was treated AND i made a tongue on the back of it which lined up to the groove on the tongue groove decking THAT i was, using and so fitted that in so to make, it, OBVIOUSLY i ran it through the table saw a couple of, times made the. Tongue thought that the tongue was just the right, size like a nice snug, fit but WHEN i actually came to fit, it it was just like half a millimeter over. Size AND i, thought IF i smack it with a big, Hammer i'm probably just going to ruin, it Or i'm going to split the either side of the groove and Then i'll have to replace the. Board SO i needed just to take a fraction off, that AND i thought by the TIME i set the table saw up again and all the rest of. It and so that's WHERE i grabbed my little rebate plane and that worked. Well, anyway what's your?
Speaker 14: Job, yeah, well, yeah Like i've got timber joining in the. Seventies so you can just picture a six pane glass opening windows on each. Side that's the ones with the two opening windows above each. Other, yes so you got the opening window at the bottom open window at the.
Speaker 4: Top, yeah with friction stays on the, side, yes those little, yeah.
Speaker 14: Yeah so and then so betwe in between the windows of the big, pane you've got a million but that goes up and then it's then there's another one on each side of the of the big. Windows you've got a gap get from between the timbers. There SO i think it's split or not, split but it's just let go. On their rain's been getting. In i've repaired the actual bottom part of the main, window the fixed. Window i've repaired that. Before but, yeah the other Day i've just dugged out from the outside of the, building dug it. OUT i, mean of course it's rotten all the way along that panel the. Wind it's only up about probably say fifteen fifteen twenty mills. Up it's all rotten. There the top where the fixed paint is putting on is quite. Sound so, Yes i've doug dug all the the rotten that out right along the. Bottom so like, You, Yes i'm going To i'm going to put in a treated pine et de con timber itself as. Well i'm going to put a strip of that along and gluid in. Yep So i'm just wanting to know something like some some. Products so at the moment it's all, Open i've dug it well that it's all, open And i've sealed it off with.
Speaker 4: That the spray wood seiler oh, yes good, yep, great hard and hard in the.
Speaker 14: Fibers.
Speaker 4: Excellent.
Speaker 14: Yep i've just payed it, yesterday so it's twenty four hour things BEFORE i start getting right into it. Today so, YEAH i have been using on the other. Window it's just small. Repair they ate us to pack a posy.
Speaker 9: Glue.
Speaker 14: Yep i've actually glued the timber and the fat and then sort of just finished it off of the builders.
Speaker 10: Bog.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes.
Speaker 9: Is that the creek the?
Speaker 14: Two, YEAH i think, So.
Speaker 4: And there's a couple of them around so there's actually the one that's sitting on my shelf happens to be A crc. One that's only because that's what was available at my. Local so, yeah two pot of poxy's really good. Idea you've used some sort of timber preservative timber, hardener which is a great. Idea the patches obviously are going to be at least h three point two, treated so C c a treatment and then you can use builders. Bog there are a couple of other types as. Well you know that builders bog you can only use on beer. TIMBER a you can't use builders bog on timber that's being. Painted, okay that's.
Speaker 14: Cool there is waterproof as the epoxy as a waterproof.
Speaker 13: More.
Speaker 4: Yeah funnily, ENOUGH i was talking to my chippy THAT i know who put me onto another an epoxy, filler WHICH i use for the first. Time i've never used it, before and it actually what if you can be? Bothered have a look on My instagram. PAGE i now that the decking's been laid, DOWN i filled all of the screw holes we use those screws to AND i went and bought a box of five hundred, screws thinking that'll be. Enough BUT i WHEN i was doing the, CALCULATIONS i did it from memory AND i thought it's five, joys but it was. Seven so we ended up using about six hundred and seventy jolt screws right to fix the decking. Down so my job the other day was filling those six hundred and seventy sort of three millimeter nail or screw holes with this two pot epoxy filler and my job Today actually this Is i'm going to ask your permission for. This is it okay to use a sander on A? Sunday, yeah of, course, Excellent thank, you thank. You that makes me feel better, Anyway SO i suppose, yeah, perfect all, Right, no, No i'll go, home go to mass and Then i'll get stuck into. It, then SO i for your. Job THEN i think you can use the bog maybe you look for some a POxy filler as, well and then oil based primer oil based primer. First but, interesting if you're going to finish with a water born, enamel which is quite good for exterior, joinery do the oil based sealer oil based, primer and then go over the top with like quick, dry which is the water born. Primer but the bond between the two is really, good and then you can bring it up from. There, LOOK i think you've cracked, It. DOUG i think you're doing exactly the right. Thing this is when sharp chisels are your, friend right for fetching out the last of, that shaping up a piece of, timber putting it in with the, epoxy dressing it, off and then get straight in with the top coat and the other thing that this resonates with me about this conversation is we forget that paint is really important for protecting our. Joinery And i'm guilty of that Because i'm going around the house now scraping back loose paint trying to fix up a whole lot of. Things, Right but a really good intact paint coating protects the joinery and weather boards and, timber exterior trims and details and, that so that you've really got to stay on top of the of the. Painting it sounds like you. Will but, hey, LOOK i think you're onto, it AND i think if you get in the, zone this work is actually quite. Nice you know WHAT i?
Speaker 14: Mean, yeah it's not there he. Is, yes you know you can't so they get away from the sun on the sun.
Speaker 4: Boat yeah all, right it sounds like you're into. It enjoy your, Day, doug and really lovely chatting with. YOU i, well now That i've got his, permission BECAUSE i was slightly, conflicted to be, fair Because I've i've got all this filler and it's had twenty four hours to. HARDEN i know that there's some bad weather coming AND i don't all the good work that we've done over the last couple of. DAYS i don't want to ruin it by having water on the deck before it's, Painted So i'm going to sand. TODAY i know you're not my, neighbors But i'm kind of just telling you That i'm going to be making some noise around my, Place, rightio let's get back into it straight After New sport And. Weather top of The air at, seven.
Speaker 1: Helping you get THOSE diy projects done. Right The Resident builder With Vita wolfcats, Call oh eight eight you've talked.
Speaker 4: Radio lovely to be with you again on This sunday, morning thirteenth Of, April Palm sunday actually and a week away From easter next, weekend which will be lovely next. Weekend of Course i'll come and do the show On sunday and it'll be ad. Free there you, go that'll be, interesting. Right we are talking all things, building construction, tools, products, contractors, legislation building, consents building consent, fees code, compliance, certificates anything that's on your. Mind oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to. CALL i happen to mention a little project THAT i was doing yesterday WHERE i needed to, WELL i need to just take a sliver of timber off a tongue THAT i created to go into the, rebate into the groove of a tongue in groove. Board blah blah. Blah and pulled out an old tool that sat in one of my toolboxes FOR i don't know how Long i've had it, for AND i really don't know how old it, is but it was an old rebate. PLANE i thought i'd better get the right. Name SO i found this website with all these vintage, tools And i'm, like, m MAYBE i need one of. Those MAYBE i need one of. THOSE i don't need any of, them of, course but having it and having the right tool for the right job makes a massive amount of. Difference so no. Regrets. There someone's text, Through, Hey i've got an old wolf. Drill, YES i like, that an old wolf drill that was my great grandfather's And i'm. FIFTY i think it dates back to the nineteen. Fifties takes about five seconds to stop when you take your, trigger your finger off the. TRIGGER i THINK i know those. Ones in, fact we might have had one in the workshop or something like that back in the. Day so it's an old power tool of course talking about sanding palm. Sander, No i'll be random. ORBITAL i think today to send off all the. Filler in, fact if you want to see a photover, that just check out My instagram page to just search resident builder On. Instagram AND i think the most recent PHOTO i put up was the deck with all of the. Filler that's What i've got to stand off. Today Then i'll get a coat of primer on. Today then i'll go Actually i'm going to go To razine later on, today pick up some top. Coat get that on before the weather hits On. Wednesday, john what it speaking about? Weather talk to me about your. Roof how are you?
Speaker 9: Doing? Yeah, Good opet listening to all those quite interesting issues that people had a.
Speaker 4: Little bit, more oh not at, all rusally.
Speaker 11: Great.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Look i've got a pretty big shed out in the. Back it's a half round about twenty five meters long or, so and it's had like a gin car garage, extension that's WHAT i call. It, anyway it's sloping sort of roof that joined on to the side of. It probably at construction it was built like that as possibly what was then the most cost effective way to create a big. Shed floor. Space so the ISSUE i have is where that where that sloping roof that joins the half, Round i've got about five or, six, yeah mucky little leaking spots that just sprout up every now and again when you get a reasonable amount of brain and blown it from the right. Way and you, know there's no WAY i can identify up on the top of the roof anything wrong with that where that join, is And i'm my plan really is and you know obviously THAT i guess water might be traveling a little, bit so wherever it's leaking inside is not exactly the right. Spot, yes, yes, yeah So i'm thinking Of i'm probably gonna have to get a bucket of maybe black. Whatever, yeah and and basically spatula on all the way along that, join just to be kind of absolutely Sure i'm certaining that OFTEN i thought i'd just give you a ball in case there's a you, know SOMETHING i should rather than just slapping her.
Speaker 13: On and.
Speaker 1: So the.
Speaker 4: First UP i have to, declare you, know WHEN i talk to people like yourself and they talk about sheds that are you, know ten meters, long twenty meters, LONG i do get a serious case of shed. Envy So i'll declare that first and then then we'll go on to talk About so when you say it's a half, round as it's a curved, surface so the sheets are curved over the tresses or over the rafters to do, that.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 4: What happens at the ridge OR i know there's no. Ridge what happens at the top? Curve how is that dressed off or the just the top sheet sort of extends right?
Speaker 9: Over, yeah, yeah, there there's it's quite you, know the leaks are ALL i suppose And i've bit a, bit you, know because of the shape of it actually been up on the top half on the on the, curve but the the leaks are all definitely right on the on the joint of the sloping. Part it's, yes sort, OF i mean that sloping parts about the same area as what the half round takes, up which is about it's got enough space to park ten cars in that extension that comes off the half. Round, yeah so it's you, know it's a sort of. Area but and it looks nice and it looks like it's been done Or i'm sure it has been done as professionally as it could have been at the.
Speaker 4: Time, yeah, sure THERE i wonder whether you take a step back and go rather than sort of attack a general area and the hope that you're going to find the. Leak what about if you can get someone to come over with a, hose and if you're able to direct water into the area where you think the leak's coming, from try and make it leak before you fix the, leak, Right and that'll give you a bit more of a targeted, approach because you're. Right what you might, find in, fact is the leak is two or three meters away from where you see it on the inside of the, building in which, case if you fix one area and then you might find that it's still. Leaks so given that we've got some dry weather at the, moment that might be a good. Idea you, know if there's an, overlap for, example then that should effectively self. Seal, Right so, water unless it's being driven in by the, wind typically won't track backwards that. Much so because the other CONCERN i have sometimes around sort of just willy nilly use of sealants and all the rest of it is you can create dams which prevent water draining. Out, so for, example if you were to seal the underside of your lap there and water was getting in somewhere else and draining out, there you've effectively created a. Dam and THEN i guess there's two. Approaches one is to use just roofing silicon to try and seal where you think there might be an opening or a. Gap the other one is to apply like a brush on membrane over an, area so maybe the sheet is getting a bit, thin or there's a little bit of rust or something like, that you'll be able to extend the. Life BUT i guess, too the other thing, is you, know given the age of the building and all the rest of, it are you just kind of holding off the, inevitable which is at some stage you're probably going to need to Reroof and a curved reroof is going to be a little bit, challenging isn't.
Speaker 9: It, Yeah, YEAH i think it's a good suggestion ABOUT i should have thought of. It running some water over certain areas that.
Speaker 4: Have, it go at that first and just kind of target the repair people are, saying, look you, know it might be the. Fixings so if it's a fixing that's come, loose is it timber pearlins that the iron is fixed, to or is it metal pearlins.
Speaker 8: On the half.
Speaker 9: Rounds it's on the half round it's metal purlms right and the, yeah and then it's timber on the.
Speaker 4: Extension on the extension see. Again you know in that case metal. Ones you might find that some of the fixings have started to come, loose in which case you need very. Carefully you need to get up on the, roof maybe take out some of those fixings and of course you'll have to screw new fixings, in but you might want to step.
Speaker 9: Up you.
Speaker 4: Know if it's let's say it was an eight gauge, screw you go to a ten gauge screw so it'll bind in with a knee pren washer underneath. It, yeah that sounds like it's a little bit of work to. Do, yeah but, LOOK i think have a look at trying to make it leak, first so you know exactly it's a big. Roof you don't want to be working in an area that's not. Effective have a crack at that. First good, luck AND i WILL i will go back to my three meter by six meter garage and think longingly of a large shed like. Yours. John thank you very, Much, David good morning to.
Speaker 11: You good.
Speaker 15: Morning how are?
Speaker 4: You, Hey i'm very, good thank, you and.
Speaker 8: You not too?
Speaker 11: Bad not too?
Speaker 4: Bad day?
Speaker 15: Here and then they.
Speaker 4: Beautiful go for.
Speaker 15: It i've got A i'm attaching a fold out washing lines to my. House, yes And i've drilled the the attachments brackets onto the. Wall WHEN i put one of them, in So i'm getting an engine masonry. Anchor one of them holds really, well but the other one basically the bolt is pulled straight out, Yep And i'm wondering whether the brick scott holes in, it and then.
Speaker 11: How DO i resolve?
Speaker 4: That, OKAY i think you got lucky with the first, one and what's happened with the second one is kind of WHAT i would. Expect SO i think for those, instances if you, CAN i would get you can buy a small tube a half tube of a product called bolt, fix which is it mixes in a tube and it's an adhesive for anchoring steel fixings into. Concrete SO i and then find either a bit of stainless steel threaded rod or possibly even a stainless steel bolt or something like, that take the old fixing, out maybe even drill the whole out slightly, bigger apply the bolt fix into there the adhesive and then bed in a bit of stainless steel threaded rod to the right depth with enough poking out to get the fixing and a nut on. It let that seat for a couple of hours and then hang it on, there and that will fill the void that's in the. Brick it'll give you a really solid, anchor and you'll find that that washing line will stay there basically.
Speaker 15: Forever and is there any how to get the masonry anchor?
Speaker 9: Out?
Speaker 4: Ah, okay is?
Speaker 10: It?
Speaker 4: Yes if? Often what you've got is you've got the bolt part of the anchor which is threaded at one end and then over that is a. Sleeve so if you, can if you, can just reach the sleeve with a pair of pliers and push the bolt back so that the where it spreads out at the bottom is what anchors the fixing in. Place, Right so you need to push that back as far as possible without losing, it and grab the sleeve and pull that. Forward, yeah all, right good luck with.
Speaker 14: That take.
Speaker 4: There Thanks, david you with these. Books he'd be we're talking all things building. Construction, trish good, morning.
Speaker 7: Good. Morning i'm ringing about cracks in the outside wall where the boards are. Joining my situation is THAT i had already built, house moved on to a beach side section about seven years, ago and within a short time the doors would, open just drift. Open SO i contracted the. Engineer he had a man come and check the, piles but he said they were all, right, Yep and but now there's.
Speaker 4: Cracks the exterior of the. Building what's the.
Speaker 9: Cladding, Yes, james hard is weather?
Speaker 4: Board, okay so like linear or something, SIMILAR.
Speaker 10: I don't.
Speaker 11: Know so it's it's.
Speaker 4: Weatherboard it's horizontal weatherboards laid lapping one over the. Other and that's the only type of cladding that they've used on the. Exterior. Okay and the gaps that you're talking about appear between the lap between the you, know effectively the bottom board and the one that laps over the. Top we let they, joined, yeah, Okay so it's not a weatherboard. Profile it's something where it's like a sheet that has a joining, system like a rebate or something like, that maybe tongue, group maybe just a ship. Lap and it is a vertical or horizontal, horizontal it's, horizontal but it's a sheet. Product, no, not what IF i worded it?
Speaker 7: Right it just says on the respects that It's, Hardy hardy with a Board frontier two four five Millimeter Hardy.
Speaker 4: Frontier, okay is it painted a dark? Color?
Speaker 7: No, no, No so my issue is is any moisture getting in?
Speaker 14: There WHICH i worry?
Speaker 7: About and what are you if you're selling?
Speaker 10: It do you declare all of?
Speaker 7: This and also the building company who's been very good now they're coming to talk to. Me see it's they're saying spill it was. Silicine but really have to get to know what the problem, is isn't it don't you?
Speaker 13: Think?
Speaker 4: YES i do think, so just repeat that is?
Speaker 6: It?
Speaker 4: James so it's definitely A hardy, product and it's A frontier FOUND i found it so effectively it is a weather board and it's got like a wood grain effect on. It, yeah that's. It and so when you say there's gaps between there is what you're seeing where perhaps there's been some movement and you can see where the boards have moved and it's an unpainted. Surface or are there gaps where you can see through and potentially see the building paper behind?
Speaker 10: It?
Speaker 9: No, no, no, okay dressed sick?
Speaker 8: Yet?
Speaker 7: Yeah and JUST i hold up a piece of string of that brown, string and it was about the similar depth of The.
Speaker 4: LOOK i think that the way the weather board works is there's obviously an, Overlap so there's part of the board that extends up and behind the overlap of the board. Above that's often around twenty, millimeters, Right so if there's a millimeter or a millimeter and a half of, movement it's not going to be impacting on the weather tightness of the. Building, yeah but you said that the product is is it applied vertically or is it a pride horizontally?
Speaker 9: Horizontal it is.
Speaker 4: Horizontal, okay that's all right. Now i'm just THINKING i SAW i won't go. There, LOOK i think that what you're getting is a certain amount of, movement which is probably is. Cosmetic i'm not actually a big fan of going along and sealing all of that up because you, know buildings, move, Right SO i think you're better off next time you go and paint, it just give it a really good coat of. Paint if you're worried about it from an esthetic point of, view if you know what the color, is you could go along and just touch up those. Areas from what you're telling, ME i don't think you've got any concerns about weather. Tightness it's a little bit of. Movement typically there's less movement with fiber cement than there might be with conventional weather boards because of the nature of the fiber. Cement but a little bit of movement in this, INSTANCE i wouldn't be terribly. Concerned Red all, RIGHT i love your. Program nice to talk with. You to take, Care, bobe all this to you right. Here we need to take a. Break it is twenty three minutes after. Seven if you'd like to join. Us the lines are. Open the number is eight hundred and eighty ten. EIGHTY a couple of good texts coming through. Too we'll talk about those in a moment as. Well lines are. Open love to hear from.
Speaker 1: You met it twice, gods but maybe Call pete first for You allcab The Resident Builder News.
Speaker 4: Talk sa'd be your News. Talks there'd be twenty seven almost twenty seven minutes after. Seven and remember we've Got rude at eight point thirty this morning talking all things gardening and the wonderful world of bugs as. Well quick couple of texts that have come. In pete does asbestos removal cost go to the, homeowner as in a pile in a, roof a tile roof of the, Sixties, DOUG i can't see who else would be responsible for. It if it's your house and you've got asbestos roof and you want to remove, it then, yes the cost is going to go to, you and it's not an inconsiderable cost. Too by the, Way, pete we're looking at a ten year old brick home with white efforescence showing on the red brown. Bricks is this a structural? Problem can it be? Removed the house is double. Glazed is ten year old double glazing reasonably? Effective? Still yes to that so, yeah ten year old double glazing will work almost as. Well so the only thing that might degrade with ten year old is the desiccond which absorbs moisture that might be in between the two panes of. Glass but apart from, that double glazing will continue to. Perform with regard to the, efforescence it's effectively salt that's in, masonry which with the presence of water might be drawn to the. Surface so it can be. Removed there's a couple of proprietary products that will get rid of, it and after a certain point it will ah sorry on you that one is. Coming excuse? Me so, yeah eff for. Estance yet you can remove it and, TYPICALLY i, mean it does indicate that there's some, moisture so you might want to you might want to investigate that a little bit, further but it's not. UNCOMMON a couple of people have commented on the main mark and the fact that it seems to have worked for, Them SO i can leave that as it. Is, Pete i'd like to restand our pine deck is it's starting to fade after five. Years can't remember if we used an oil based or a water based. Stain definitely not a penetrating oil. Based do we just redo it with a water based? Stain best bet would be to try and get a test, pot go to an inconspicuous area and apply your new coating over the existing one and just see whether or not it's, Compatible like does it sit on top and not dry properly or appear blotchy or something like. That if you apply it and it seems to soak, in then it's compatible with what you've got. There so what you don't want is incompatibility between those. Two someone else's. Text this is the joins. Issue those hardy plank weatherboards look like they're just buttered, together but they have a back soka at the end joints which is invisible except for a little piece of aluminium protruding at the bottom of each butt. Join that might be the, case but, again as long as they've put the back soca, on those weatherboards should remain weather. Tight thanks very much for the. Text. Simon good, Morning, oh good, Morning hey the are?
Speaker 10: You?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Good So i'm calling From northland and we are about together certificate of. Acceptance hopefully we're just an extension for another three months because we've got the, sept the tank and sanitary footings all signed, off got a big twenty tonsigger and do. That so we've kind of depleted our, FUNDS i. Bet and we've got to do the flashings on one of the roofs and gutters and down. Types And i'm wondering when they do, come are they interested in if we have a top hole and over the roof of one of our, anectors will they be asking us to require us to put the flashings on? Gutters and most, importantly where do dwnpipes come? Down is there any certain requirements that need the water to be taken certain distance away from the, house and, YEAH i think if.
Speaker 4: You're going for A, CoA so certificate of, acceptance obviously there's been some work that was done that should have had a building consent but didn't get, one or one wasn't signed, off and so.
Speaker 10: A few years.
Speaker 4: Ago, yeah, okay so now you're looking for a certificate of acceptance from. Council is council doing the investigation or if you employed a building surveyor to do this Council, Okay look in a, nutshell council will expect you to have finished the house to the code. Requirements, Right so if you don't have flashings where they're supposed to, be if you don't have your down pipes, connected so your storm water is not, complete all of these, things it'll just be you just need to get the house. Finished in a, nutshell so tarpolans indicate that things aren't. Finished if there's flashings missing and it's not quite weather, tight then you'll need to do. Those you'll need to have. Spouting spouting needs to be connected to the storm. Water stormwater needs to connect either to the public line or to your tanks or to whatever drainage. System so we can we.
Speaker 10: Can have them going off often the swales as soume because we've only, springwater so we don't need to actually har.
Speaker 4: Only if you've had that, Engineered, like how can you prove that it's going to. Work So i'm not saying that it won't, work but council will expect some sort of documentation to say this is an approved storm water control. System so whether that's onto the ground into a local, stream if it is going into a, stream do you have a catch pit to ensure that you're not depositing sediment into the, stream those sorts of. Things so in these, instances council will always be looking for proof of.
Speaker 10: Compliance, yeah we'll be feeding it into our orchard the water runoff from the roofs and swales that. Way BUT i wouldn't imagine they might ask for an, engineer but that's WHAT i do for a living in terms of garden. Landscaping i'm HOPING i can persuade them, otherwise but, yeah.
Speaker 4: They'll probably require some sort of.
Speaker 10: Proof, yeah while we've been, building we've put a container and clad it and put a roof over top of the container and a lean to on the side of. It so are tools under the dry and it's actually gone over our thirty square. Meters that's. Allowable, yes as a shipping. Container can we just sort of have a lean to off the side of it and use that as a Temporary, well it won't be. Temporary i'd like to keep, it, really is?
Speaker 4: It it's not, habitable is?
Speaker 10: It?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 10: No, no it's like an open sided lean too with workshop and the tools up and, yeah it's. Awesome it's also not. Transport, yeah the container could be lifted off with all that's cladding on, it and the lean to would just have to be cut. Away so That's i'm wondering if they're going to be picking us on that one as.
Speaker 4: Well, look technically they probably, could depending on. It if it exceeds site, coverage then they might pick you up on. That you, know if you've put a roof on, it then you're also collecting, Stormwater so what have you done about controlling stormwater and? Runoff, again that might relate to the size of the property.
Speaker 10: Ten, Acres, yeah, okay so.
Speaker 4: It's, look site coverage isn't going to be an issue on ten, acres is? It, No so that that's probably not going to be and it's not habitable and it is a workshop because it's, enclosed then it because you can build a forty square meter lean to or a car port right without necessarily requiring a building. Consent so you could kind of, argue, well it's just like a car. Port but, LOOK i think just concentrate on the main, house concentrate on THE. CoA if you've already engaged with, them there will be a scope of. Works so when the inspector comes, back just keep their focus on the scope of work that you've already decided and essentially guide them away from looking at a whole lot of other. Stuff is a wise. Move but it sounds like you've got that under. Control but good luck with. That it is quite the. Process and if you're listening and you're, wondering why go FOR? CoA increasingly And i'm involved in a couple of projects where things didn't get signed, off you, know the final, inspection a couple of things to, Folks, oh let's do that, later let's do that, later let's do that. Later ten years, later you're suddenly trying to get A ccc for a building consent reinspect. It, ideally just get it done at the. Time, seriously you won't regret. It oh eight hundred eighty ten eighty is the number to. Call quick call for, You Mary. Anne hello, There Hello.
Speaker 13: Peter i'm just, hello good. Morning i'm just springing about my Bee lux window in my. Bathroom mechanically it's, fine And i'm just. Wondering someone came and had to, look got up on the roofs and set. Outside it was, okay but they didn't look inside. Right And i've had a little leak over the, years just in one. Area and when you, look a friend came and had a look in the right hand. Top the painter's sort of. Lifting any thinks it's coming from up. There and WHEN i look up and you, know standing on the, FLOOR i can see a Little we're a bit of the seilance.
Speaker 16: Lifted who would do?
Speaker 13: That would it? Glazy you be the best to do? That or someone that deals with? Skylights H, LOOK.
Speaker 4: I would probably go for. Skylights if are you whereabouts to You Auckland Mount? Eden, okay if you go and do a Little google search for light works L I T E w R, x you'll end up talking To. Google google will has? Done IF i say, Thousands i'm probably underestimating it Skylights. Vluxes he's probably a really good person to talk, to so Try google at Light. Works he's got a couple of guys with. Them they'll come and sort that. Out vluxes. Themselves failure of The veluxes is quite. Rare it'll most likely be the flashings around, it, right so you could get a roofer to do. It but if, you LIKE i, say check out Light. Works he will ring me and give me a hard time for mentioning his, name BUT i know you'll be in safe, Hand so try Like, okay all the, best see, You. Maria we'll take short break and be back in just a.
Speaker 1: Moment doing of the house storting the, garden Asked pete for a. Hand the resident builder With peter wolfcaf call use dogsb.
Speaker 4: Oh here's an interesting text too quickly before we talk To Carl. Pete i've got a nineteen forties wooden ex. Statehouse most of the window flashings have rusted, badly some have rusted right. Through are they easy to? Replace CAN i do it? Myself From? Paul given the age of the, HOUSE i suspect that the head flashing essentially just runs over the face of the board and tucks up underneath the board above, Right so you just need to set up a little, platform get up, there pry that top board open a little bit so that you can remove the, fixings pull the flashing. Out chances are it won't be a standard. Size it might, be in which case some hardware, store particularly the older, ones will have lengths of. Flashing you can then buy a new piece of metal flashing slide that. Up you might have to trim it a little bit because depending on the upstand slide that in, place fold the ends down and replace. Them, so, yes it. Is they are repairable in that. Sense modern. Flashings if you're doing timber joiner and that sort of, thing the flashing goes back to the building wrap and it's often behind the. Cavity in order to replace those you're talking, about it is to be. Blunt it makes it just a pig of a job because you've literally got to pull apart you're cladding to get in. There, yeah so an old, House, yes it is achievable and, doable And i'm sure you could do it yourself right type for your Calls, carl good, Morning.
Speaker 11: Yeah good, MORNING i can go, ahead.
Speaker 13: Very.
Speaker 16: Good got a property In. Devonport it's one of those colonial nineteen twenty houses has got a. Porch it's not weatherproofed and so any weather that comes in from the, side it's leaking through underneath the. House just looking for the best product that's super, FLEXIBLE i can to proof the porch.
Speaker 4: So that porches is obviously. Clad is it? Clad and weather? Boards is it? Clad and batman boards.
Speaker 6: The?
Speaker 11: Porch?
Speaker 16: Oh, sorry so the porches are it's it's. Rude but when it's opened on two sides and the brawllboards are just butted up.
Speaker 4: Together, yep they're not sealed, right and they're not painted.
Speaker 16: Well as, painted but they move so much to the.
Speaker 4: Painters but typically those that decking, boards that tongue groove that's, down that'll be lower than the floor level and it should have some fall to the out. Side so even if word gets into the, grooves that should run. Out, no no it.
Speaker 16: Doesn't it's it's. Flat the porches are on, piles you, know it's a meter and a half up on a slope of. Property, yeah just whatever rain comes in through the open sides just sits there and then drips.
Speaker 4: Through but what's underneath, it what's dripping onto well what it used.
Speaker 16: To be the subsul underneath the, house but that's now all kind of sealed off and we're using it for. Storage SO i want to try and, okay come, through all, RIGHT i just want to with a proof a flexing. Floor, yeah but then it's going to be in. Theme so you, Know i'll put black beauty and on, down but it's not in, theme AND i don't know how to color that or if it comes in.
Speaker 4: Color, look you can get decking, paint you, know from, razine which will have a little bit of elasticity in, it and typically it doesn't need a lot to waterproof. It SO i wonder whether if you give the area a thorough clean spot prime any beer, areas and then maybe do two or three coats of paint over the, top that should be enough to stop most of the moisture getting. THROUGH i don't know. That i'd want to sort of suggest that you apply like a membrane over the top of. It it'll it'll look quite. Different given that you're in a heritage, house there might be some adhesion issues there as.
Speaker 16: Well that that would be the theory that previous owners have. Used that'd be like you have to do it every three years or something like.
Speaker 4: That, yeah that's, right you've got to stay on top of The, yeah but, look that's that's probably WHAT i would and look to be. Fair, Today i'm going to go home And i've just relayed tongue and groove decking on a veranda at the back of the. House i've got some stuff THAT i store underneath their kayak and but, supply wooden ladders and things like. That i've done a primer, Coat i've done a second primer. Coat i'll do hopefully get a top coat on it. Today first top, coat a couple of coats of, that And i've never had water getting through, it SO i think paint system will work for you in that. Instance, There good luck on that. One carl all the very. Best we'll talk To james after the.
Speaker 1: Break whether you're painting the, ceiling fixing with, fans or wondering how to fix that hole in the. Wall Give peter wolf cavicall on. Eight the resident builder On YOUTH Dogsb.
Speaker 4: Joining me today Is Alan simpkin from Arc Line architecture up In. Kaitaia decades of experience with triboard, Housing alan's been at the forefront of off site, construction, prefabrication modular and kit set. Housing deep knowledge of the product and its evolution over time makes them the perfect person to discuss How triboard is shaping the future of, efficient durable home. Building thanks for joining us this, Morning. Ellen now you've been involved for quite some time from its earliest. Days what were your first impressions of the? Product?
Speaker 5: Yeah how are you pet? It we've been involved with it since nineteen eighty nine that when it was first produced In Kai. Tire at that time there was mostly only wet framing available On New zealand wet pine, framing so we started using triboard faster the erect and crypt to close. In, yeah it's a great product AND i.
Speaker 4: Suppose it's innovative in terms of you, know our walls are tryboard now there's no not necessarily any, framing so it's just a. Triboard now you've used it in a number of projects from local housing through to exporting up to the. Islands what are in terms of getting stuff off? Shore what are the big challenges?
Speaker 5: There, yeah so we have used the special board That tribe developed for. It it was like an insect and a high moisture resistant. Board we also made the boards a smaller width where were sending them up to mostly two point four by one, meters so two guys up in The islands could erect them and, yeah it worked really.
Speaker 4: Well now you started your work in the construction sector as a chippy like, me then you've moved into the Design so from a designer's, perspective what makes triboard such a strong choice for modern housing? Projects, yeah a.
Speaker 5: Lot of In New zealand, especially there's a lot of move towards off site manufacturing pre. Tabrication we need to because the cost of labor is so high And triboard building shift really well like a strong. Box so they worked really well for the off, site modular and on site as.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now some of your recent, works some large scale housing developments Like, trust but also the Suites Aged. Care how's triboard helped with those. Products.
Speaker 5: Yeah so with the the swits Of Home run a lot of two twenty eight units and most of them are two. Story we're working with Panel, lock local. Company the large we're using the large panels and the whole top floors of these units are getting completely finished off site and then craned, on so the pretty well the data building contents, issued construction can start on the top. Floor so, yeah huge saving and time and money during.
Speaker 4: That and obviously along with the product there's there's advancement in THE c AND c technology and the improved panel. Design so how has triboard evolved since those early days and where do you see its biggest potential in the.
Speaker 5: Future, yeah so when we we're using, it we used to pretty well hand cut most of the user old hand. Rutter, yeah plans was now most of the all done with sands, seeds so always get down lights of pre cut into your ceilings and all your power boards all pre cut into the. Walls so again just using MODERN cad and sense seed technology to pre do as much as possible in the.
Speaker 9: Factory so it's just the.
Speaker 5: Spark you can just, pull pull whiles. Through so, yeah that's working really. Well it's a hang a lot faster than it used to.
Speaker 4: Be, absolutely now you've seen the industry grow and change over the. Years what advice would you give to builders and architects and designers who might be considering triboard for their next.
Speaker 5: Project, yeah it is speed and we've got local companies Like Dura, panel which are they're sending kit sets right Through New, zealand quite a few into The South, island and, yeah slap packed kit sets pretty well Like, Lego AND i think it is definitely a way forward for the building. Industry we've just got to look at different ways of doing things because the conventional way of doing things is just is really just so slow and come withsome especially for multi multi UNIT talp, developments which there's a lot of. Repetition so, YEAH i think it's worth. Prefabrication that's definitely the way of the.
Speaker 4: Future, yeah i'd agree with you. There if you want to see some Of allen's, work check out Arc lines projects on arcline dot co dot M. Z thanks very much for joining us this. Morning, ellen been great to chat with.
Speaker 9: You thanks very, Much, petter it's Good take, care Z.
Speaker 4: B if you want to find out more about j AND l About triboard and the work That ellen, does check OUT jnl dot co dot IN. Z And, james thanks for. Waiting good morning to.
Speaker 17: You.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Look i'm a trade qualsied cardener from way back in the mid seventies AND i heard the study or program and the mention of the old. Rebate oddly, enough in the last WEEK i had to drag one out and use it. Myself and oh good, god it's once every twenty years or SO i see, you and every now and again a job comes along where nothing else.
Speaker 8: Will do, it AND.
Speaker 6: I, Think, god what an invaluable piece of equipment you, are and How i'd hate to ever lose. It but a question, Arose you've possibly observed this a lot more than, myself Given i've been retired for a. While we've got all the mod cons and all the whiz bang you, know the latest and greatest and fastest kind of electronics and. Technology how much have you observed all that kind of gear compromising the ability of so many people to use some of the basic.
Speaker 4: Tools, YEAH i, mean, look part of this fools into The you, know you might be a little bit ahead of, me But i'm a.
Speaker 6: Dinosaur yeah that's.
Speaker 4: Right you, know we are now proud members of The Grumpy Old Man, association, right and membership is restricted to those with a few gray hairs and a slightly bad back and an aching arm from hand nailing your frames together back in the. Day, so now that we've figured out the ground. Rules, yes we will often talk, about you, know younger trades people perhaps not being a Skilled i'm pretty sure that my first bosses would have looked at me as some sort of muppet as well As i'm struggling to use tools and so. On but but, LOOK i don't completely disagree with.
Speaker 9: You Like.
Speaker 4: I've been BUILDING i don't, know thirty eight years or something like that SINCE i First, so first couple of houses we, built we, Oh i'm going to run out of. Time we hand nailed the. Frames NOW i think that When i'm, Nailing i'm thinking about doing it LIKE i did it WHEN i was hand nailing, it which is every single one had to be in the right place and effective because it took you that much more. Effort whereas you give somebody a nail, gun they just fire it full of. NAILS i don't know that that necessarily makes. It SO i think on that point we're going to. Agree and Now i'm going to crash into the. News love you. Call thank you very much for Calling james back After, News sport And weather at eight. O'clock squeaky door.
Speaker 1: Or squeaky Floor get the right advice From Peter wolfgaef the resident builder ON.
Speaker 4: Newstalksb there was delightful conversation With james just prior to the. News sorry that we ran into the news there about talking ABOUT i mentioned using a rebate plane, right which is generally an old fashioned sort of hand plane that you. Use you, know if you think about a set Of french, doors for, example where they close together because you don't have a million there that they close, against so they each one has a rebate on. It the first one that closes it's on the, inside the second one that closes, overlaps and sometimes when they move a little bit and you might need to ease, them you've got to get in there in that right into the corner and take a little bit of timber off and you can get some power planers that will allow you to do a rebate that, deep but not. Many otherwise you could try sanding, it but then that's uneven in the sense that it's really hard to get a flat surface when you're sanding something like. That you can set up a circular saw and a guide and try and take a couple of millimeters off just in one particular, area or if you're an old fashioned chippy like, me you go into your box of tools and drag out A i don't, know fifty sixty year old rebate plane THAT i probably use once or twice a blue, moon to be. Fair but WHEN i do need to use, it AS i did, yesterday it worked and it worked, beautifully and THEN i Thought i'd better get the right, name SO i had a look online just to identify the correct. Terminology so it's a rebate rabbit. Plane mine happens to be A carts, one which is a particular brand from back in the. Day AND i found actually one for sale on a vintage tool. Website and of, course ONCE i found one vintage hand, PLANE i then discovered that they had seven pages of vintage hand planes for, sale And i'm starting to look at, those Going DO i need A french cabinet maker's chair? PLANE i suspect THAT i. Do it's a very beautiful piece of. Kit DO i want to get an Old marple's router? Plane BECAUSE i remember using those in woodwork either in nine seventy eight or nineteen seventy nine WHEN i lasted woodwork at. School so, anyway it works. Right it's old gear and it. Works speaking about old gear that, works So one of the jobs this week was to replace tongue and groove decking on a traditional villa, veranda so six meters, wide just over two point four, depth so it's about forty eight boards that have to be fitted. Down so pulled up the old boards because they'd started to, rot pulled up half of, them set out the first, one and then started laying. Them and with tongue and, groove you need to clamp it together a little, bit and typically on most site sites you'll screw a block down onto the top of the joyst make up some wedges a little bit of offcut so you don't damage the tongue or the, groove and then knock those together and that'll draw the boards, together fix those, off reset and move. On EXCEPT i bought a couple of years ago some record flooring, clamps again really old, fashioned that have kit heavy cast and they sit over the top of the. Joist so they've got some clamps that. Activators you put pressure on, them and then a winder at the top which extends a piston basically or a thread with a block on it that then clamps the boards. Together the guys reckon first on the guys THAT i had working with, me had ever used them. Reckon it probably saved them half a day of labor in using these flooring. Clamps if you've got, them hang on to. Them if you don't know What i'm talking, about look them up online record flooring. Clamps what amazed me today WHEN i did go and look for, them is that you can buy new ones as.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: MINOR i don't know how. OLD i bought them from a carpenter who was retiring a couple of years. Ago it took me about five years to find a set searching on trade, me BUT i did find, them And i'm delighted THAT i had, them and my brother was using them a couple of weeks. Ago these guys using them this, week their boss is probably going to borrow them in a couple of weeks. Time, oh eight hundred and eighty ten. Eighty let's get into the talk back through till eight Thirty all things building. Construction couple of actually a couple of quick announcements. Too next week on the, SHOW i had an opportunity to talk insurance with some insurance. Experts this is around what sort of insurance do you need if you're renovating or extending or doing work at. Home so we talked about public, liability we talked about contract works, insurance we talked about you, know at what time do you need to contact your. Insurance so we've got a summary of all of those. Things we'll do that next week on the. Show and then last week at around this, time we were talking with The minister Of building In, Construction Chris PINK, mp and we did that over the. Phone chris has been very generous with his time and, said, Look i'm happy to come in and take. Calls So i'm pleased to say That Chris, pink The, minister will be in the studio with me On may the, eleventh so a couple of weeks away for an, hour So i'll be able to ask some. Questions you'll be able to ask some questions as, Well so looking forward to that on the eleventh Of. May hub good morning to.
Speaker 17: You, yeah, Morning. Pete, yeah it's been a bit of a weight but you know that's, right just a bit of useless.
Speaker 4: Information but you talk about that router router, Plane, yes.
Speaker 17: Yeah that one you're. Using. NOW i had an uncle and back in the nineteen sixties and he was using that tool and he called it an old woman's. Tooth you'll know exactly What i'm talking.
Speaker 4: About, oh that's. Fantastic he was a master builder and.
Speaker 17: Joiner, Yes so that that was WHAT i was going to tell.
Speaker 4: You AND i think that people who kind of like if you think about going into an old villa and you you walk, around, right and you look at an, architrave which you know is typically about one hundred and twenty five millimeters. Wide it's got a round and then A v and then a flat and then another forty five and then a scollop And, okay a lot of that stuff was run through early steam powered, machines but some of those moldings were also made by people by, hand using planes that had specific blades for specific. Tasks. Right AND i know my old Boss tom has a collection of those, planes which were either his father's or his. Grandfathers so we're probably talking you one hundred and thirty hundred and forty year old beautiful wooden hand planes with all of the different shapes on, them just. Glorious.
Speaker 17: Right here were those sash windows and that on those old ver THOSE i, mean there's a lot of you, know.
Speaker 4: Overload molds and rebates and, yeah, yeah, yeah but LOOK i have to, say And i'm sure you'll appreciate this, that you, know LIKE i had to do this little job. YESTERDAY i was in a. RUSH i grabbed this rebate plane AND i used it to be fair and to be, honest it's not as sharp as it should, be but it worked, Okay AND i, thought, man that's. Fantastic i've taken, something this old tool That i've had on to all of these, years and WHEN i needed, it it did the job. Perfectly so.
Speaker 17: You say it's called a rabbit, thing but you can see why it would be because it's got two rabbit looking teeth sticking. Down probably, yeah, yeah the, Reason, yeah, no they.
Speaker 4: Gorgeous WHAT i need To i'll go and find is a little bull nose rebate. PLANE i don't have one of, those So i'll be hoped for one of. Those, now lovely to talk with.
Speaker 17: You, now, Listen, pete don't forget to do the Divine mercy no vena From Good friday To Mercy.
Speaker 4: Sunday, yes you're, right and today Is Palm. Sunday and given that you mention, IT i just realized that forty years ago On Palm. SUNDAY i was actually In rome at mass At Saint Peter's square BECAUSE i was there Representing New. Zealand it Was International year Of Young, people AND i HAPPENS i gave a gift to Then Pope John paul the second on behalf of The Newsic Catholic, church which was kind of. Cool so that Was Palm sunday forty years. Ago, yep there you. Go nice to talk to you.
Speaker 8: All our.
Speaker 4: Best take care byah. Think, yeah it was a great it. Was it was a fantastic trip and a tremendous, honor to be. Fair stick out that. Photo it's out there. Somewhere fifteen minutes after. Eight remember we've got Red kline pass coming up at eight. Thirty if you've got any gardening or anthropological, questions you can call through from eight to thirty this. Morning, oh eight hundred and eighty ten eighty is the number to. Call one of the things we talked about today on the show as well is sort of being able to build without necessarily requiring a building. Consent this is very much in the public mind at the. Moment there's lots of talk from the government about changing legislation to allow certain types of being buildings to be built without necessarily requiring a building, consent you can still go and get, one but there might be another pathway and someone's text through to, say, hey, look how do owners build? It or do owner builders have any trouble when selling an owner built house considering that they generally won't be qualified and they would be liable for any warranty. Issues that's a slightly different situation to what we might have coming. Up but so at the, moment restricted building, work any work that needs a building consent can only be done or supervised by a licensed building practitioner unless you get a owner builder, exemption which you can do under The. Act so.
Speaker 10: But it's.
Speaker 4: Limited you can only apply for. ONE i think it's every two or three. Years BUT i would imagine that in that instance you're still getting council. Inspections you'll still get A ccc for the. Building it's just that the person who would normally be THE lbp. Isn't they're an owner. Builder so in that sense that's quite different to what they're, proposing which is no building consent so no council. Inspection so if you've finished a building, somehow you have to be able to PROVE i think to the new, OWNERS i built this according to the code and here's the reasons WHY i believe that to be the. Case so that'll be an interesting one to see how that works. Out that's the sort of thing that we'll be able to discuss with The Minister Chris pink when he joins us in the studio on the eleventh Of may seventeen after eight back With pauline.
Speaker 9: In just a.
Speaker 1: Moment we're helping you get THOSE diy projects done. Right the resident builder With Peter wolfgart call. Eighteen you've talk Zid be your news.
Speaker 4: Talk Zid be And PAULINE a very good morning to.
Speaker 18: You and good morning to. You i've just been listening to the radio and you might be solving my. Problems my, husband who passed away three years, ago had been.
Speaker 8: An, Engineer.
Speaker 18: Rett he also had always been an avid tool. Collector, yes so much. SO i have a basement of old tools and they're all, polished all, shiny all in working. ORDER i have no idea what to do with. Them he always said to, me don't you dare go to the charity. Shop i'll come back. Thoughts, yeah, YEAH i don't know where to go AND i just told you talking about, it and it's probably probably is old, builders isn't it older?
Speaker 4: Builders although you, KNOW i mean there is a younger generation that still, loves you, know the traditional. Crafts SO i think we are actually seeing sort of a rise in, popularity let's, say of traditional woodworking techniques and younger, people not just trades, people but younger men and women who are, going, ACTUALLY i really love that craft AND i want to do something that takes me time That i'm more connected with and so. On and that's that's what you get with hand, tools, right that's WHAT.
Speaker 8: I like about.
Speaker 4: Them, look CAN i suggest that if obviously there's no one in the immediate family that wants to take?
Speaker 18: Them and SOMETIMES i have a brother in law who's the same age as my, husband and it also is a collector of Old, yes and here he's in the men's shed and he, said he, said because i'd strike chatt into the, mensched he, Said or don't do, that because they've got so Many if we don't know where snowed, Under, yeah that's that's the.
Speaker 4: PROBLEM i tell you what if maybe he would have some contacts, though because what there are is quite a network of antique tool collectors, clubs, Right AND i remember years AGO i actually went to a. Meeting it was at was it Was Continental stairs actually at their, factory and it was a night time and there was a group of about ten or, fifteen as you can, expect old blokes sitting around showing their latest tools and talking about old. Tools SO i just wonder whether if someone you know can plug you into that network and then maybe there's someone there who can help you with, disposal because you know what you might find throw them? Away oh, no, no, no that would be. Tragic AND i think sometimes what you might find is someone will be able TO identi that these are quite, collectible in which case they might help you sell, them or that there'll be a collector who could help with disposal to ensure that they. DON'T i, mean, look if they did go to, it, well if you were going to go to a charity, Shop i'd seduce someway Like habitat For humanity for their restore stores because they do a lot of building. Works i've dropped off lots of old tools or tools that are surplus to requirement. There BUT i, think see if you can plug into some of these antique tool collectors clubs and that might be a good way. Forward so do you THINK i just just Do google search or perhaps talk to brother in law and, say you, know if he's involved with men, sheds that's probably not a bad place to. Start thank you so.
Speaker 18: MUCH i Mean i've been three years now and they're still all that.
Speaker 4: Now also In, auckland there is a community workshop based in the, city which is a community workshop that allows people to come and work, there but they also have like a tool library where you can take. Tools, right so that there is the beginning of this sort of like this sort of, movement you, know where people want to relearn those traditional skills and being able to use traditional tools for that is. Essential so you, know if you can get either do it yourself or get someone to help, You i'm sure you'll find a really good home for those.
Speaker 18: Tools oh thank, you because it's a.
Speaker 4: Pleasure how.
Speaker 18: Beautiful BUT i just inform them in my, HOUSE i.
Speaker 4: Understand, yeah absolutely lovely to talk with. You all the best your, time take. Care, Hi Hey, debbie how are you this? Morning?
Speaker 19: Hi i'm, Good how are you?
Speaker 4: Good thank?
Speaker 13: You what's?
Speaker 19: Up we've had some contracting work done at our. House the, contractor we used this as last. Job the work that he's done has now.
Speaker 13: Become.
Speaker 19: Boulty we have no. Problems here's no. Problems he knows it's. Faulty he's a really nice guy and stuff like. That but my question, Was i'm not sure that he had any sort of. Insurance but now he's wound up his, company can he still claim on his? Insurance if he has, insurance it's probably stopped his insurance. Now but this was done prior to he found up his.
Speaker 10: Company.
Speaker 4: YEAH i know that some insurances have what they call a run on. Policy, right so even if you've stopped, trading if the jobs that were done when the policy was, current you as the owner of the property can still make a claim or a claim can still be received on that for maybe a period of up to ten. Years. Now i'm pretty sure as well that some of those run on policies would require the contract to continue paying a premium which might diminish over. Time, yeah SO i guess you could look at. THAT i guess he still has responsibilities under The Consumer Guarantees act as, well so not just The Building. Act the other thing, is, then was it building work that was. Done, no, okay, sorry what sort of work was? It concrete?
Speaker 14: Work?
Speaker 4: Okay you don't necessarily need to be a licensed building practitioner to do. That but if they were a licensed building practitioner and you, can you could either ask them or you could just look up their name online and that'll tell you within a couple of seconds whether or not they're AN. Lbp then they still have some responsibilities for their work. Afterwards but you, know concrete, work if it's not part of a, building if it's not part of restricted building, work isn't covered by the legislation regarding restricted building, Work so there's probably no warranty.
Speaker 19: There if he knows it's, sorry, YEAH i admitted.
Speaker 17: IT i JUST i just don't.
Speaker 19: KNOW i don't know whether he's thought about taming on his. INSURANCE i don't know whether he's got insurance OR i just Do.
Speaker 4: It would sound unusual if he had, Insurance i'm, thinking or that he had a comprehensive enough insurance policy to allow those sorts of claims after the work has been finished and possibly after he's wound up his. Business what, just very, briefly what's the extent of the poor quality? Work what's the, nature.
Speaker 8: It's all.
Speaker 19: Cracking there wasn't enough.
Speaker 9: Cuts put in, it, Right, Okay.
Speaker 4: So it's not an easy, fix and in, fact the only really acceptable fix is probably to remove it and replace. It and then that's a terribly expensive, process isn't.
Speaker 10: It.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, look you can ask whether there's. INSURANCE i think if there isn't any, insurance which is probably highly, unlikely then your chances of redress are fairly. SMALL i would.
Speaker 19: Say so if he doesn't have, insurance that's on.
Speaker 4: Us then if he doesn't have insurance and he's wrapped up his business and you can't convince a court that he is personally liable for the, work then, yeah it doesn't sound like there's a lot of options for. YOU i don't. Think. YEAH i, mean you, know if you've got a good relationship with a, lawyer it might be worth. Asking BUT i think, unfortunately and with the greatest respect to, lawyers you, know often it'll cost you more with a lawyer to take the case than might be the cost of repairing it in some. Cases AGAIN i say that with respect in which and there's no guaranteed, outcome then, so.
Speaker 14: But there's no come back on any of this sort of work unless you go through a.
Speaker 4: Court unless you go through the, court you could try to dispute. Stribunal it's a bit more, affordable AND i guess in the first instance you could see whether there's. Insurance but my sense is that that's really.
Speaker 10: Unlikely, wow, okay.
Speaker 4: It, was you, Know AND i mean this is probably worthy of further, discussion and certainly it's going to be something That i'll raise with the. Minister is you, know should we be moving to a place where all contractors doing work require? Insurance like right, now you don't have to be insured to be doing work like. That you don't have to take out contract works, insurance you don't have to have you, know possibly you don't even have to have public well you. Don't you don't have to have public liability to trade as you know in the construction. Area so maybe that's what we need to move. Towards, yeah, okay, alrighty, hey, look let us know how you get. On BUT i THINK i can't be terribly positive about that. Unfortunately.
Speaker 9: No, yeah, okay thank you.
Speaker 4: All you have a great. Day take care bother think. Radio let's jump into the. Garden rude climb past is standing. By thank you to those people of text with regard to the tools and those sorts of. Things, gosh now someone wants to get in. CONTACT i tell you what, If, pauline if you're still, listening if you don't mind giving us call back and leaving me your. Number if someone contacts, me Then I'll i'll check that out and could could link you. Up so had a little bit of interest in that, Radio let's jump into the. Garden rut is on standby if you'd like to call and talk to Rud the number is eight hundred and eighty ten eighty good.
Speaker 1: Measure Twice god, once but maybe Call pete. First p your Wolfcaf The Resident Builder News talk sa'd be for more From The Resident builder with Pr. Wolfcamp listen live To News TALKS b On sunday mornings from, six or follow the podcast On iHeartRadio