Speaker 1: Well, go to Football Fever. Another Monday has quickly rolled around, which means another episode of Football Fever, where we discuss all things a league and football is doing their thing around the world with the New Zealand or the flag flying for New Zealand. I'm Jason Pine. Bonnie Jensen is here.
Speaker 2: Hello, Bonnie Gilder Piney, how are you?
Speaker 1: Very good? Thank you. Before we go any further, we need to congratulate you on what happened on Friday night, winner of Best up and Coming Journalist at the country's flagship journalism awards, the Voyager Media Awards, which are on Friday night. The judges commented on the depth of your work, your unique ability to tell wider social stories through the lens of sport. You were also a finalist for Sports Journalist of the Year. Huge congrats, Bonnie, it's so deserved. And look did you have a Did you celebrate appropriately?
Speaker 2: Oh? Thank you, Parney. It's very kind.
Speaker 3: Yes, I definitely celebrated appropriately and I paid for it the next day when Auckland f C played at nine point thirty at night, it was definitely hard keeping my eyes open, but thankfully it was an entertaining game. So yeah, got through it gladly. But no, yeah, very very very happy about what happened on Friday.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad the voyages were Friday night actually because you would have been struck with a scheduling conundrum had they been on Saturday night. How would you have managed that celebrating those victories of yours and also watching Auckland f C against Melbourne victory.
Speaker 3: Well, piney, I would have requested that the matches live stream in the background obviously, like I would have requested that that was happening, you know, in the backdrop of the stage. But nevertheless it worked out, and I mean what a weekend Auckland f C one as well?
Speaker 1: Absolutely right, let's get to that then A league means semi final leg one Saturday night, Amy Park in the pouring rain, Melbourne victory nil. Auckland FC won. I just thought, before we unpack parts of this game, it was a very very very good performance from Auckland FC.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I completely agree. I think mentally it was probably their best performance. You know, they went in and knew the conditions weren't going to be great. That pitch just looked so soggy and wet, and the ball was kind of holding up but also moving very quickly at the same time, and I thought they really adjusted it well, and we haven't kind of seen you know, their character has sometimes been questioned throughout the season, so I thought they really stood up to the occasion, and even though they didn't hold the most amount of possession, they still took their moments and took their opportunities and looked like the better team despite that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think early on Melbourne victory came out, didn't they They were at home, They knew that, you know, they needed to get something out of the First League if they were to realistically you get through the second leg and into the Grand Final. I think Steve Corker said afterwards that they were a bit rusty having not played for a week and maybe now you look at you know you and I you particularly questioned whether he should have played some of the first teams in that game against Western United at the back end of the season. Well, you know, if he'd left them out, that would have been three weeks without a game, So maybe it was the right idea to play those players against Western United. Anyway, they weathered the storm. Early Melbourne victory certainly came out and the likes of Arzani and Volopola, you know, sort of made themselves a bit of a threat. But the thing that stands out for me across the game, Bonnie, is that Alex Paulson did not have to make a single save across the ninety minutes. Imagine having the home leg of a knockout semi final and not testing the opposition keeper with a shot on goal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is crazy, particularly given when you look at the you know, the caliber of Melbourne Victory's forwards and the amount of pressure they put on Auckland FC that we just spoke about a minute ago. So yeah, it was very confusing and I'm not certainly not complaining about it. But I think Melbourne Victory, Yes, when you look at them head to heat, Auckland f sare the better team, and Melbourne Victory actually finished fifth in the regular season. I still thought they would be a little bit more competitive than what they were.
Speaker 1: I guess you do have to talk about the blocked shots and the likes of Dan Hall, Nando Pinecker, Hiroki Sarki did a terrific job of protecting Alex Paulson, didn't they You know, it wasn't as though there weren't opportunities for Melbourne Victory as one little stands are in the first half when sort of three shots came in quick succession, Dan Hall blocked the first one and then Nander got his body in the way of the next two. So I also saw that Hiroki Sarki crossed this game made nine successful tackles and the most in any finals game in a league history is ten. So here's a Roki Sarky putting his body on the line as well. It just seemed as though they were just absolutely hellbents on making sure that Melbourne Victory would not score against them. And that's now three straight clean sheets against melbourn Victory. Melbourne Victory haven't yet scored a goal against Auckland f C.
Speaker 2: That's a crazy stat.
Speaker 3: I mean, we knew, we know how good Auckland f C are at defending the pride of themselves on that all season. I was worried that, you know, when it came to these final series, maybe it would hurt them a little bit because they're potentially too focused on that more than they are on attacking. But I really liked hearing throughout the game and your commentary Piney, which was exceptional as per how Auckland FC that had become the quickest Day League team.
Speaker 2: To fifty goals.
Speaker 3: And you know, you look at that contrast back on, you know, early on in the season where we spoke about that they're constant clean sheets and how good they're defending was and how they potentially struggled to score goals a little bit. But what a turnaround they've had. And that's again going back to this game on Saturday. That the contrast I liked was how compact they were at the back and just how patient they were in their attack moving forward. And you know, it took sixty four minutes, but they got the job done. So they've nailed that balance.
Speaker 1: So Logan Rogerson was the only goal of the game after sixty four minutes, inevitably set up by Francis Devrees, who's just become the assist king, not just a Walkland FC, but of the entire A League. And I was thinking to myself yesterday, you know, here's Francis Direes, who a year ago was sort of shopping himself around a little bit, trying to find a professional club. A year ago, Logan Rogerson was playing in Armenia. I mean, I defy most people to know where Armenia even is. And here they were, the two key was combining for such a crucial goal. Apparently Steve Coriker gave Logan Rogerson a bit of a serve at halftime and said, Logan, we need more from you, we need we need a bit more. Well, it's a good way to respond, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Well, how funny you say that, because I didn't realize Steve it said that, but I thought the same thing.
Speaker 2: I kind of.
Speaker 3: I mean, it might have been my hangover, but after that first half, I thought, where has Logan been? I just hadn't seen much of him in that first half. I thought Marley. Marley looked a lot better.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, they're starting him, you come on. But I thought he looked probably more of an attacking force than Logan did in that first half. So I mean, it's it's well done from stev O because he obviously got it out of out of Logan.
Speaker 1: Indeed he did. And then very late on NATEA. Modono, who came off the bench actually even before Auckland had scored their first goal, right right right at the end, he was put through on goal. And I don't know if I've seen it. I haven't seen that very often, the shot against the post, bouncing across the line, hits the other post and then bounces into the arms of the goalkeeper. You don't see that very.
Speaker 2: Often, No, you don't.
Speaker 3: And I wrote a column about this yesterday on the Herald about whether will that you know, that moment come back to haunt Auckland FC in the next match. You know, one mill up is a great is a great outcome, and they'll come in very confident into this home game and it should should be a walk walk in the park. But you know, equally to Neil would have been much nicer. And I just wonder if maybe that moment was the decisive moment of the semi finals series.
Speaker 1: I yes, we got to wait and see on Saturday night, just before we moved to that game. Good traveling support, a little throng of supporters up in the right hand corner of the TV screen so they had a good view of Logan Rogerson's goal. It was great to see Logan and Francis and all of them actually go over and celebrate and then after the game, you know, go and thank them. I even saw a tweet that before the game started, after the warm up they went over all the players went over to that corner of the ground to thank the traveling support back here down at Britomart. The watch parties going on at Tyler Street, Sport Tuckle Ty Square, the brit So, Yeah, there were a lot of people out and about watching it. Second League this coming Saturday, six o'clock. Go Media. Extra seats added thirty thousand or so will be there. I saw earlier today Monday, only around one thousand tickets are left as of today, so they'll go soon. I'm just trying to imagine what it's going to be like there on Saturday when that game gets underway.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: Penny and Yeah, I don't know how this extra seating is going to look. I believe it's on that north sand side. Yeah, it's kind of confusing how it's looking on Ticketmasters. So it will be interesting. And what's also exciting is the following day, Mount Smart again is also sold out for the Warriors match, so they're going to have sixty thousand people through the gates on over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Good on Go Media.
Speaker 3: It's a great stadium to watch sports at but super excited.
Speaker 2: For Auckland f C.
Speaker 3: I want to ask you Piney though, does Nada Moreno start? Like, do you change the lineup?
Speaker 1: That's I was. I was hoping that I would get the chance to ask you that question. But okay, here's what I think. I Steve Corika is huge on not changing a winning side. He's done that earlier in the season. I remember louisvas Strata was suspended and when he came back into contention, you think it was louiver Strada. He'll just start he's he's Louis ver Strata, but Steve Couric said, no, no, you got to you know, you got to buy your time. So I just wonder whether he goes with the same side Max Marta. We don't know whether he's going to be fit. He didn't travel to Melbourne for this one and Jesse Randall took his place. That might be an exception, if you know, because that really does change the way that Auckland f C play. But no, the answer I think is no. Do you think he'll go Moreno over Francois.
Speaker 3: I mean if I was, if I was Steve, I would I feel like Modano speaks for himself with what he's done this season. But I wonder if maybe he'd start over someone like Gesse Randall. We don't know what where Max mutters at maybe he'll be fine come this weekend. But yeah, it is a very interesting one. I agree with you, Parney. I don't think Steve Corica will. I wonder if he's a bit superstitious Steve, and obviously you know he doesn't want to change, you know, fix what ain't broke, But I wonder if it's a superstition thing as well.
Speaker 1: Could well be. I mean, he's been very consistent with the selections this year. I had a look yesterday. I think there are eleven players in the squad who have played twenty three or more of the twenty seven games. So it's such a solid cores. And you and I've spoken, and you've talked about what lies beneath the say fourteen or fifteen and whether you know, if there was an injury crisis that struck the side, what you know, would they be able to cope? Do they have the depth? Because you know the other side of this is Steve Coraker hasn't really exposed too many of his his widest squad to football this year, has there you know, a bunch of guys have only had you know, one or two appearances. Some haven't had any at all, so you know, but that won't matter this weekend because everybody's pretty much fit. The other interesting part will be the tactics and if you know, you don't have to concede, if you know, okay, if we don't, can see we're out of the Grand Final. I'm sure there's a temptation to be defensive, but it just doesn't seem, as I said to you last week, to be any part of what Steve Corker does.
Speaker 3: In saying that, I do wonder if they will go back to three at the back because it works that second time against Melbourne when they beat them too nil. That was one of their best ever games this season when they went to three at the back. Hiroki Saka and Nando Pinek and Dan Hall was Dan Hall back, Yes it was Dan Hall. And I remember Steve saying that he read liked the way his team played in that formation. However, they kind of lacked that, you know, going forward, and they weren't as attacking as he would have liked to be. They don't need that, I guess this weekend or not from the start anyway, So I wonder if maybe he'll look at that just to change things up, see what they can do again.
Speaker 2: It is It is very hard to say.
Speaker 3: I think even though Steve Coriker has kept it pretty straight with his lineups and things like that this season, he has still got a few tricks up his sleeve, which I don't think we've seen them all yet.
Speaker 1: Can you see Melbourne victory spoiling the party? There are only one nil down?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I absolutely can and it again wrote this yesterday, but it scares me.
Speaker 2: This one nil leads. It's gonna be hard.
Speaker 3: For Auckland def C to find that perfect line, that balance between going in with confidence knowing they are one nil up and they don't need to rush things, but not becoming too complacent because that can happen. You know, this is more than what they would have wanted out of this first leag so that they have to get that balance right, and you know it takes the pressure off Melbourne. They can come to Auckland now. They're not expected to beat Auckland in this fortress that they've built, but they can come here now and just go at it. They'll have to be careful that they don't isolate themselves at the back and leave gaps because Auckland FC will pounce. But they can go for it in the first half anyway. So yeah, it'll be interesting to see what happens.
Speaker 1: If Auckland FC score a goal in the first half, or score a goal at any time really, but particularly early, then Melbourne Victory really have to chase the game, don't they. At two Niel down they have to go for it, which leaves them open perhaps at the back. If Melbourne Victory were to open the scoring and it's one all, then it's basically game on, isn't it. It is absolutely game on. The way goals don't count for any more than home goals, it's just the aggregate. So it's possible we could go to to extra time and to a penalty shootout on Saturday night at go meter. I'm not sure the hearts of the thirty thousand, well some of them could stand it, but that's all ahead of us. We must have a winner on Saturday night to go through to the Grand Final. Just a quick word on the other Semi Western United nil Melbourne City three. The Fraser Heir a lot is that you can't win a two legged final in the first leg, but you can certainly go a long way to losing it. Melbourne City at one foot in the final, haven't they? Oh?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? And this is why I've said in recent weeks Piney, I'm not that fuss to play Western United in a semi or final. I think they've been too inconsistent all season. And yes, that kind of Auckland's bogie team beating them twice quite significantly, but they've also they've also lost some big games, so hence this one in the weekend, and I think Melbourne City looks scary about what we'll cross city when we get there.
Speaker 2: I'm confident we will.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll think about that when the Grand Final arrives. But yeah, now Melbourne City will be enjoying their week. Hermann Ferrada, Jonatan Cohen and Matt Lecky with the goals that gave them a three nil won the second League of That game follows the Auckland game actually on Saturday night. It's nine thirty five on Saturday night. That one also at Amy Park.
Speaker 2: This is what.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the A League Women's final yesterday at Amy Park. So Saint Patrick Grass that Auckland FC beat Melbourne Victory on twenty four hours or so earlier. Full time. It was Melbourne Victory. One the Central Coast Mariners won Isabelle Gomes, of course, who played for the Phoenix in their first year. Player of the match. She scored the Mariner's goal in the forty sixth and then Claudia Bunge with melbourn Victory's equalizer extra time penalties. The Mariners are champions, Bonnie.
Speaker 3: And I definitely didn't expect the safe Melbourne Victory were suddenly going to go and get the job done. Shout out to Claudia who scored that goal of as football Ferns center back, so well done to her. But it's nice, you know. Obviously it was kind of rooting for Melbourne Victory with Claudia in there, and also Gareth Turnbull, who's there another KEYWI assistant coach of Melbourne Victory. But it was kind of nice to see a new team win it, I suppose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, and I don't think anybody picked this right. Pretty much from halfway through the season, when Melbourne City and Melbourne Victory were clearing out from the rest, it just seemed like we were destined for a Melbourne victory Melbourne City Final, didn't it. And we talked last week on the podcast about the off side goal that got the Mariners through, but you know that's football, and through they went, and well, they were ten minutes away from winning it in ninety minutes, weren't they until Claudia's header. They still got to get through extra time and hold their nerve on penalties, which they did their first ever A League women's championship. Emily Husband I thought this was odd, just the fourth female coach in A League women's history to win the championship. So maybe there's still a wee way to go before we get true equalization around coaching at a league women's level. Do you have any thoughts on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do, Piney, and it's something Emma Hayes, who's obviously the FIFA best coach in the world and coaches the US women's national team. She's been promoting a lot and being a big advocate of getting more women into coaching roles. We don't see a lot of it, obviously. I think the women's game is so far behind. We spoke about VR last week in the A League and things like that. So yes, there's definitely a long way to go, and coaching coaching is one of them. I think a shout out though to Isabel Gomez, who obviously scored that goal for Central christ mariadis she scored that goal the week before as well, which was definitely offside. She probably knew it as much as we all did, but she's come such a long way since her time at the Wellington Phoenix and she's just had a call up to the Matilda's squad under Tom Somani, interim coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Great to know that if you play well in the A League you catch the eye of the national coach. I saw Isabel Gomez's name there and I don't think there's any dispute that she's been absolutely terrific and obviously pivotal, not just with goals but with the performances as well. And now she's the owner of a A League Women's Championship medal, So yeah, well done to Isabelle Gomez. A couple of bits of Phoenix news. They won their Australia Cup match in Darwin one NELT against Brisbane a goal to cost of Barbarusis so it means that they make their way into the round of thirty two. The most important part of this, of course, is that it gives them games in the middle part of the calendar year as part of their preseason. They get meaningful matches as part of their preseason, rather than trying to organize them against local club teams or perhaps another A League team. Speaking of Costa, still no word as of today today's May the nineteenth on his future. As I understand it, his contract runs out on the thirty first of May, so at some point in the next couple of weeks they're going to have to make an announcement whether the decisions being made and they're working through it. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I have a theory, Piney go on, I think cost is staying and hear me out on this one, just based on the postmatch interview he had over in that Australia Cup match against Brisbane that the young reporter asked him about you know what it's like going to be like to play Wrexham and just his the tents in which you know, he was phrasing things and he was saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're really looking forward.
Speaker 3: To that match, and you know, I think it'll be good for the team to grow. And I just thought the way he was wording his words was interesting and it kind of you kind of got the sense that he was going to be there at that Wrecksham game.
Speaker 1: I like that. Look, I hope your intuition's right. Look, yeah, I didn't pay up on that, So that's great intuition from you, because I said to you last week. Remember at the Phoenix Awards, the speeches that he did there didn't allude to us or we at all. So that's what sort of got me a bit worried. But look, I mean, let's just wait until we find out for sure whether Costa is starring. I certainly hope that you're right and Wrexham play the Wellington Phoenix in Wellington on Saturday July nineteenth. Is that it'll be a bit of glitz and glamour. I'm not sure whether the Hollywood owners Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenny are making the trip down to Wellington. I'm sure they would welcomed with open arms if they did. But yeah, something a bit special for Wellington Phoenix fans to enjoy on Saturday the nineteenth. Just wanted to finish today on the Football Ferns squad. Of course, the last time they got together for a tour it got well, it was wrecked, wasn't it. Let him play the game against Taiwan. They played Venezuela early next month in Spain. The games are on the first of June and the fourth of June zell in time, both in the early hours of the morning. Michael Mayne is still in temporary charge. Do we know when there's going to be a permanent coach announcement for the Football Funds or are we still waiting for that as well?
Speaker 3: I feel like it was coming the end of this month or early next month. But yeah, I know that they're down to a short list of names and final interviews. I have a feeling it to be Michael Mayne, though, So I just feel like the way he's kind of been given a lot of freedom to, you know, see lots of different players and leave some senior players out of squads since you know, the start of this year kind of suggests that he's looking at how he wants his team going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I tend to agree. Do you think that would be a popular decision with the players?
Speaker 3: I think some of them will, you know, rarely get on board with it. I don't mind the guy. I need to see more. I think he's a great, great person, a great coach. I think he's doing well seeing a whole bunch of different players. I think it is interesting him leaving out players like Katie Bowen and Rebecca Stott and CJ.
Speaker 2: Bott like he did earlier this year.
Speaker 3: Which was kind of interesting, a bit bold, but maybe you know, we've got to give it to him that he did that. So yeah, I can't speak for the players, but I feel like some of them do probably really.
Speaker 2: Like where he's going with the team.
Speaker 1: I think the other part of this is that while he's in charge of the team, it's almost like possessions nine tenths of the law. You know, he's got the job, he's got the opportunity every time he takes them out there. You know, he's almost on trial in a way. That's the wrong word, I know, but that's why I think it was such a shame that they didn't get the chance to play against Taiwan because for Michael Maine, he would have been very, very keen to show the decision makers at New Zealand Football another good performance from his team wouldn't he.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yeah, and that's that's why exactly was a shame for him and probably a shame for the other contenders on the short list because they'll be looking at Michael Maine now off on another tour and seeing him get a shot. But I think I guess he deserves that opportunity to show what he's got, you know, being under Yika for a few years. Yeah, I think they've got it. They've got to beat Venezuela. That needs to happen. I wonder if this is his last trial to show, to show what he's got before he makes before they make a decision.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that could be it. Venezuela are fifty first in the world, currently New Zealander thirty second, so by that metric it should be a well, I was going to say, a comfortable two nil win in this series. I'm sure that's what Michael Main's hoping. Looking at some of the players who have been recalled, Ali Green is in there, Devin Jackson, You'll be delighted with Devin Jackson's recall into the national side. Grace Jarlay as well, Rebecca starts back to be He hasn't a new mum in the squad for the first time since she gave birth last year. So great to see her, you know, proving yet again that the childbirth and becoming a mum is no impediment to being an international footballer. I think that's that's terrific.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I understand as well, Betsy's going to be traveling with her baby, so her baby will come onto her and you know, be with the team and things like that. So yeah, it's a really positive set forward that New Zealand Football have kind of included her in that.
Speaker 1: The release also talked about some players who were not available for selection due to and I'll read from the release injury concerns or return to play considerations. Those players c J Bott, Katie Bow and Macy Fraser, an elite, Milia steinmetz Alie Riley and India Page. Riley is an elite playing in gold for anybody at the moment or not.
Speaker 3: No, she's playing as a striker for Hibiscus Coast in the Lotto NRFL, the woman's premier competition here in Auckland. I understand an elite was wanting to play for Auckland IFC and the women's team. So now that that is unlikely to happen. She might be a little bit stuck. I'm not sure what's going to happen there, but it is a real shame because she is a bloody good goalkeeper excuse my French, and yeah, I want to see her back in the Ferns mix asap.
Speaker 1: So do I, so do I Allie Riley. I thought she may have quietly retired, but if her name's still being talked about as someone who's unavailable for selection, you'd have to think she hasn't pulled the pin. She still might represent New Zealand again. Would we see Allie Riley in a Fern shirt again?
Speaker 2: I think yeah.
Speaker 3: I think she is still recovering from injury, obviously trying to get back to play for Angel City, her.
Speaker 2: Club in LA.
Speaker 3: I don't think we'll probably see her in a Football Firms jersey again. Yeah, whether we'll even see her in an Angel City jersey. It's been sometime since she's been on the park now since before the Olympics, so yeah, I think that one is pushing pushing the luck a little bit. But I mean it is a shame because she's had so many caps for New Zealand. I'd like to see her get a final run out like Annalie Longo is going to get this upcoming to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the other one, isn't it. Annelie Longo retired from from club football, supposedly in the football firm squad. I can't remember I mentioned this last week or not when we were talking about Bev Priestman being the obvious contender to take over at Wellington Phoenix. I wonder if that does happen, whether Anally Longo might quickly unretire.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought you were going to say Annali Longo could coach because she is she has done like her coaching licenses, hasn't she?
Speaker 1: I think so you could see that. Yeah, well I think I think so. But I know, I think I think she might quite like the idea of being in a team that Bev Priestman is coaching. I don't know. It might be one of the one of the artist retirements in history, Bonnie.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe even shorter than Porscha Woodman, as we saw retired from rugby and now she's back and will cut bound later this year.
Speaker 1: Everybody is allowed to change their mind, Bonnie. Everybody is allowed to change their mind. Apart from the judges at the Voyager Awards. They've already made their decision. They will not be changing that. Yes, all right, Bonnie, that's us for today. Big big weekend coming Saturday night at GO Media is going to go mad. I get the feeling. Look, it's hard to predict what will happen, but what we can say is will be some occasion there for the first ever home finals match for Auckland FC. We will break it all down for you a week from now when football Fever returns. Have a great week, Bonnie, See at Lada