Speaker 1: You're listening to a podcast from News Talks EDB Follow this and our wide range of podcasts now on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: This is Sportsfix Howard by News Talks.
Speaker 3: It be welcome on in to the Sports Fixed podcast for Wednesday, the twelfth of February twenty twenty five. Myna miss darc Watergrave and up front ahead of us, the latest and greatest in all the sports news you need to know about and some of you probably don't. We're going to talk a bit of Super Rugby Pacific because of course there's the season to be jolly. Will be joined by Blues, the reigning champions. Blues CEO Andrew Wore about expectations on crowd, about tweaks to the system, about what they learned from last year. We'll talk about of Super Rugby up shortly. My opinion sits with rugby as well. It's around what to do now with the Welsh coaching job. They returned to the well and they drowned. What lessons exist now for the wr you and in the chamber.
Speaker 2: It is a.
Speaker 3: Sports news editor for The New Zealand Herald, mister Alex Powells. We discussed some of the big sports stories of the day here.
Speaker 2: On the Sports Fix, in other news.
Speaker 3: And in Sports Today. Any of US sees discussions with New Zealand Rugby continue despite legal action hitting the table and their sponsorship row. The Sir Jim ratclib owned petrochemical company, claims they tried to negotiate a solution. Local player agent Simon Porter says any of us may have hoped they'd be easily replaceable, that ended are is doing its due diligence.
Speaker 4: I would have thought to protect their position. They probably have to being in the proceedings to.
Speaker 5: Say hey, well we're actually serious.
Speaker 4: And you've got a front with the cash. Even if they are trying to find a replacement, I think you probably just have to protect your position within the proceedings.
Speaker 3: In the Crusaders have published an endured list of fourteen hours out from naming their first starting fifteen the Super rugbyat regular season, Nick Bewley.
Speaker 6: Reports absence up front. George Bell faces an indefinite stint on the sideline. He heard his big toe last week against the Highlanders. The three Test All Black joints first choice hooker Cody Taylor. He's one of four players out with a hamstring strain. A trio of props have banged up, the worst of which is Finlay Brewers, who needs shoulder surgery and will miss the entire campaign. Midfielder Braden ENA's return to play is unclear after he had an operation on his wrist.
Speaker 3: Auckland DFC defender Dan Hall has given an update on his recovery from a broken ankle. The center Bank has been sidelined from a league action since mid December, but is expected to return in three to four weeks. Says he'll still need to pass all of the fitness tests, but he's tracking well.
Speaker 6: I'm onto just basic straight line running, accelerations, decelerations, more change of the movement hopefully next week and then just building from their leadings.
Speaker 2: We've got it's the ticket, It's sports X powered by News Talks Evy.
Speaker 3: And it's warm. Welcome on the sports Vex podcast. The CEO of the reigning Super Rugby Pacific champions, the Blues. This is Andrew. Hey, Andrew good A. How are you very very well and I'm presuming you are as well on the cusp of a new season. First up, you want to fill eating part Andrew? How many tickets have you sold?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Well, we're well on the way, rectally ahead of we've ever been for a first game, so we're at fifty of our target, which is fantastic. I've got to take my head off to the Auckland Rugby Union and North Aberby Union who allowed us to have a direct relationship through to the clubs, which has been great because I've been able to do some special things there for the clubs, which has been brilliant, and really looking forward to welcoming them and having a big crowd. It sounds like the Hurricanes Crusader game too is looking good as well, so definitely some real green shoots here, which is fantastic.
Speaker 3: Strikes me stranger, you don't have the relationship already with Auckland and North Harbor. How did that materialize and why isn't it peen there before? Andrew?
Speaker 7: Oh, the pu's have been fine, but we generally operated through the PUS. But it's been really good being able to talk directly and I think that's just part of the evolution of getting more customer focused and fan centric, which has been a real UPLT for us. It's liberating actually, So now looking forward to a great kickoff, I think we've got a great show in store, pre game and at halftime, so it should be an action pack night.
Speaker 3: You want to fill it out like you got fifty to fifty to go the twenty ten deal. Talk us through that one. As far as ticket prices, yeah, no, we.
Speaker 7: Know that some people have done it really tough at the moment, and there's also some combo deals out there too, because the.
Speaker 5: Other criticism we had was.
Speaker 7: Was taking the kids was also the food, so the staff worked really hard was eating Park and the caterer's eating Park to get those all up and running. And then yeah, there's the ten and twenty buck deals, which is pretty good value and actually when we've compared it, one of the best arounds. So we're really delighted with that, and it's going and creating this momentum as well. If we get that Barmie night on top of it, and people can feed the kids and get in out pretty easily, then you're halfway there.
Speaker 5: You're just got to put on a hell of a show.
Speaker 3: Dare I ask Andrew what's changed between the end of last season the start of this season as far as the way you're looking after the Blues, the way Super Rugby has been approached and not only because it's a new leaf, but of course you are now the reigning Super Rugby champions. How much have you benefited from that?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 7: I think that's been I think it's sort of a monkey off our back in a way. The thing we talked about in the off season, Darcy was the fact that pressure will come in a different way now and we've got to make sure if we're going to continue to develop all backs, create a gate game, then we've got to understand that you're most vulnerable that year after winning a championship. That's when ultimately you know you're the full crocodile at the bottom of the river who's just resting, and we just don't want to be that.
Speaker 5: We've got to be up, vibrant and ready to go.
Speaker 7: So I think that everybody had a view after the end of the season that we needed to really rip into this, take on this challenge of attempting to go back to back and grab it, and that's what we've done, and alongside that has started this commission is starting to grow arms and legs now to support some of the ambitions of the club. I think you've seen with the evolution of the Fantasy League and a proper launch where where we're some you know, some pretty high profile players attended, et cetera, et cetera. There's a there's a momentum and it'll built and it is early in the year, but I think there's I think the staff and coaching staff here have grabbed hold of this year and and.
Speaker 5: Have a point to prove as much as we did last year.
Speaker 3: Andrew Hall, the CEO of the Blues, interesting, sounds like something out of Sesame Street Cooperation. You're listening to the fans Super Rugby are listening to you. It sounds like everybody's aligning and actually are open to ideas and concepts and constantly improving.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there has been there has been a shift. There definitely has and I think it all comes down to the fact that we have a great product, right we have. We are the only competition in this country that has the world's best talent playing in a week in, week out. That that was a given the high performance part. Yes, there's some rule changes and things that and even there we had some success last year. We've got a wee bit of a mojo back because we actually changed some rules in lin and Beerhole. Some people adopted them not and and so that's that was sort of the start, if you like. And as this commission and as the clubs have realized the importance of the fan and and actually shifting the pende on a little bit, I think there's a there's a real energy and I think you're seeing a revitalization of a lot of people that they're seeing an evolution to this beyond where we're being, which is bloody exciting. I've got to say, it's given us a new lease life here.
Speaker 3: What have you guys done as far as fan and public engagement and actually getting a message out there, telling people what's going on, who you are, and what you need to expect, what they can expect not only quality rugby, but what actually happens. Because you've got a big opening ceremony going on, the launch of the championship banners. The list goes on. But as far as your work with the Blues, what have you actually done to reach out and connect.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, obviously we had the big Blue Bus. We then come into the start of the year and use those platforms, but there's some other things going on behind the scenes as well.
Speaker 5: All of the clubs.
Speaker 7: We've invested together in a new customer database platform which is coming on, which is partially online.
Speaker 5: It's sort of one of.
Speaker 7: Those I T things, but it's going to make it more effective to speak to a customer and communicate with them, which I think is really really important, and getting that getting that message out there, making it easy for people to understand what's going on, and and and the big thing is accessibility making making and I think speaking to your players about their role in this, and for those that monitor and follow our players, I think you've seen this year shifting them too and promoting the game and being a part.
Speaker 5: Of it, which is which I've seen before. So there's a there's a.
Speaker 7: Even I was really pleased with Caleb's comments set down the paper explaining why he didn't want to do sent No, no, he just it's not as focus. He doesn't want to get the broad in that, and that's okay, Like we reach their own, there's not many, but at least he is open and honest about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we all appreciate it in the media because without people telling us, we start making up our own stories. You know how it rolls. And for the record, I've picked Big Patty two ups to go hard in fantasy rugby. So tell the big fellow not to let us all down and on that. Andrew Horse, CEO of the Blues, thanks so much for your time. You have a wonderful week ind wishing you the best.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thanks mate, We'll actually see you down there.
Speaker 1: This is sports figs, your daily does of sports news now and by news talks.
Speaker 3: Be a disaster is one thing, but failure to learn from a disaster is another thing altogether. The disaster I'm referencing is Warren Gatlin and his latest stint as the head coach of Welsh rugby. Today he stood down or was pushed. It was by mutual agreement. Read into that what you will. But Warren's second stint come to an end after fourteen consecutive losses with the national side. So the big lessons out of this for Welsh rugby, in my opinion, they are this, don't go back to the well. As great as Warren Gatland was, let's not forget between seven and nineteen he appeared and won four six Nations titles, including three Grand slams and two appearances in World Cup semi finals. That is no mean feat. That is an extraordinary record. But because it's happened in the past does not mean it is going to happen in the future. So to reappoint Warren Gatlan I think was a crazy mistake. The game moves on, the game moves quickly, and although Warren was performing at an international level, performing in inverted commas, I think the game had left them behind. And to re establish himself as a head coach of Wales an attempt to regenerate, to reanimate the glory days of years gone by insanity. I also believe they need to pick youth. It's a young Welsh team and with a young Welsh coach, surely this team at the bottom of the world can move forward and look up. Together. They may well take some more beatings, but the beatings that they took under Gatlan I don't believe created anything at all. I don't think there are any lessons. I don't think there were any advancement in the way they played rugby or indeed the connection between the coach and the players. Those losses very very destructive for that relationship. And finally, go local. I know that Welsh rugby have had success with foreign coaches, especially the likes of Henry Anahansen and Gatland back in the day. But surely the Welsh rugby public are fed up to the back teeth with what's going on. Now go back to where it all begins. Employ a Welsh coach for the Welsh team, for the Welsh people.
Speaker 2: The Chamber is now in session on Sports Fix.
Speaker 3: We're in the chamber again. This time we've managed to lure in the Sports news edits our for New Zealand Herald, Alex Powell. Alex, how are you? Ma? I'm good?
Speaker 5: How are you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Nice to hear, I'm better than well, said Jim Radcliffe. Right now, what's going on with him and the All Blacks? And well, where do you end? He's not really good? And he for any sport?
Speaker 2: Is he?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: I mean it looks nasty, doesn't it what's happening now? But I think someone's made the very astute point that any of us do not have a very good track record and getting involved with sport. You look at not just the All Blacks, look at their America's Cup outfit. There is one team Mercedes. They've not won anything really since he's been on board. You've got cycling, You've got Man United, which continues to be a train wreck week after week. So I think if it's you know, the All Blacks and you don't know, we have to get out now, it might be a bit of a blessing in disguise if they can get the money they were promised.
Speaker 3: It's planetary revenge, isn't it. The Earth has spoken? So no more are you going to steal squash dinosaur bones of us. We've had enough of this baboonery. Yeah, absolutely, I say that anyway, But to be slightly more serious on this does leave New Zealand Rugby in a difficult and delicate situation. It's not like you can knock on the door Alex or maybe they're trying this of all the major multinationals, say you got to spare eight million for us?
Speaker 4: No, I mean you think back to when the All Blacks soul or using a Rugby rather sold the front of Jersey sponsorship, which we thought was just sacred and you couldn't do. They sold it to AIG remember, and then that was you know, it's now ultrad But like it just shows the money that is needed to sort of keep the game afloat and if that's not there, if any of us can't afford to put it up and they can't immediately replace that. We know that they're going to get a lesser deal from Sky with the broadcasting rights for Super Rugby and for test matches. So it really is worrying for the financial state of the game, which we know at all levels is really struggling.
Speaker 3: So said Jim Radcliff's come out and said, you know, it's the green movement, it's the taxation, it's the fact that America on the surge in Europe, and da da da, da da. We don't want to hear this crime me a river. You're signed a deal. It's got nothing to do with what's happening globally. Pay your billmate, Yeah exactly that. Don't sign a contract if you don't mean to honor it. I'm sure he meant to. But now I'm run out of money. But last time I checked it was a billionaire. I like, you know, eight sixteen twenty four million. It's chump change. Just pay for it and stop dragging your company and your name through the mud or the crude oil if you will.
Speaker 5: I couldn't have said a bit it myself.
Speaker 6: Mate.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you very much for that one. Let's move on to our next subject, Warren Gatlin. What do we need to say about Warren Gatlin? Now he's fallen on his sword. He fell a long way and it's a big sword. He's well and truly skewed, now, isn't he?
Speaker 4: Alex Oh, you just feel for Warren. He is a good man first and foremost. But you do almost get the sense Rugby has moved on from what brought him success. You know what feels like a long time ago now with Wales the first time around.
Speaker 3: Your way, as I see the notatorial piece, I don't know why you'd go back to well again. Things advanced, things change, and you've got to stay ahead of the curve by bringing fresh ideas to the paddock and looking back to the future and trying to replicate that in the past. That is madness.
Speaker 5: I don't know. Would you not bring back Steve Hanson now if something went wrong with Scott Robertson, right, Henry, it's that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're making those decisions based on feelings not facts, you know, and if you bring back your most successful coach of all time, I think that is a very good short term solution, Except in Wales's case, that hasn't really turned out to be because he was probably there for too long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we probably shouldn't dwell on warrant. You said he's good man, you really feel from the situation he's said, Hey, at least I didn't walk off with a pocket full of pounds stealing. You've got to give them that credit, right.
Speaker 5: No, remember he offered to resign.
Speaker 4: I think it was last year in the worst rugby Union said no, So you look, it does just look like a bit of a mess.
Speaker 5: Continuing the theme of any us. It's all a bit of a mess.
Speaker 3: And let's carry on with a mess because the Crusaders have found themselves in a right state. Fourteen players on the injured list and not a ball has being kicked in anger in Super Rugby Pacific.
Speaker 5: Whoa tough, isn't it?
Speaker 4: I mean you think, you know, you meant to have a squad of players that you can cope with these sorts of injuries.
Speaker 3: I can hear you laughing. It's tough, isn't it. You don't care. I don't think the rest of the country here they were going.
Speaker 5: Ah hah, yeah, no, exactly right.
Speaker 4: I mean, how good was last year, the seven year dynasty was over, and long that continued.
Speaker 3: But the injury told no one really deserves that. You've really got a wonder if they've got a curse sitting over them all. Their preseason was horrific.
Speaker 4: Maybe, but I mean, you look at this, and I think this is what Rob Penny will be saying, is this is just opportunity for someone else. You know, in professional sport, opportunity is so much more important, or just as important, even as ability. And you're giving you guys the chance to come through and show what they can do.
Speaker 3: And you've got an opportunity to embarrass everybody in Super Rugby Fantasy. You have you brought into that.
Speaker 4: I mean to give it a pick behind the curtain. Today is the day where all the teams get named. So yes, I have brought into that. And now I'm anxiously waiting for when we figure out who we can actually put in our teams and who we need to take out.
Speaker 3: But I look forward to being ritually humiliated by you. Alex Powell, Digital Sports of New Zealand here, thanks for your time and opinion.
Speaker 5: Thanks mate.
Speaker 1: Dissecting the sporting agenda, It's Sports Fix with Jason Vine and Darcy Waldgrave.
Speaker 3: And you have it, another episode of Sports Fix. Thanks very much for listing, for downloading, and if you want it happening automatically, just subscribe and this will turn up and your inbox Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Better still, tell you friends, tell your fans, tell anybody on the street to subscribe as well, and get the Sports Fixed word out there. If you want live radio by all means, we've got that for you as well. News Talk ZIRB with Sports Talk between at seven and eight pm Monday to Friday with Jason Piney or myself and over the weekend Piney's Got it All between twelve and three on Saturday and Sunday. It is weekend sport. Look after yourself, go easy on yourself and we'll catch you all tomorrow.
Speaker 1: For more from News Talk zed B, listen live on air or online and keep our shows with you wherever you go with our podcasts on iHeartRadio