Speaker 1: The Flavor Podcast Network.
Speaker 2: Island Roots Auckland Ways.
Speaker 3: This one's for the Brown brothers and sisters who want to be one with themselves, their culture, their identity, their roots.
Speaker 4: This is Island Roots Auckland Ways.
Speaker 5: Tyler for lover and welcome back to Island Roots Auckland Ways.
Speaker 2: Hi girl, Hey girl, how are you?
Speaker 1: We are very well.
Speaker 5: You've got fee with love from South Crew on today.
Speaker 2: Seven baby, let's.
Speaker 1: Giving six seven. How is the two six seven?
Speaker 2: The two six seven is so good?
Speaker 3: I went for a run yesterday and it was like the perfect I mean it's not really spring yet, but it was like the perfect spring day. It was seventeen degrees, it was blue skies, and then the sunset was also incredible, like it was just like the tippid weather.
Speaker 2: It was just like perfect. It was actually a perfect day.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're nearly out of the cult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quite literally, quite literally, quite literally.
Speaker 5: We are going into a really heartwarming salon was Doren Simle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he like goes in various places.
Speaker 2: It does go on various places, but it's just one.
Speaker 1: Of those chats that was so seamless, and Darren is an amazing person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Doren so much fun to be around, has the most beautiful energy you'll hear. He's one of my best friends, and we've been through a lot together, including receiving our cell revealing our cell. Oh yes, so it was cool to chat about that, and it was also just cool to have him in the studio because I feel like more people need to hear about his incredible work as a supple maker, as a just a community weaver. I guess you could say, yeah, he's pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: Yes he is, and you'll hear that awesomeness right now.
Speaker 3: Hell everyone, welcome back to another episode of Island Roots Walking Ways. I am so excited for this episode, also very nervous because this is one of my best friends. I would count Doren as like my older brother, adopted older brother.
Speaker 2: He's very very special to me.
Speaker 3: But he's more than just my friend. He's also you will make a creative proud someone. Please welcome to the stage. Welcome to Welcome to the stage. I guess sorry about.
Speaker 1: How are you today? I'm good.
Speaker 4: I'm good. It's been a cruizy morning, yeah, sunny, like well wristed. Love washed my hair for this.
Speaker 1: You know we're taking it seriously.
Speaker 4: It's just like, what, I'm really lazy when it comes to washing my hair, and I'm just like I don't want to have gang online, and you.
Speaker 5: Know, it's straight into it. Every episode we share what we love about home. So whatever homeers to you, dorin with a that's where you currently live, where you were born, where you feel most grounded, it ever feels like home? What is home and what do you love about it? We'll start off first what I love about home? Is? What do I love about home? Okay, so there's a park right next to my house?
Speaker 2: Yes? Is it next the.
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: I know the part we're not saying the.
Speaker 1: Park. The park is such a good park. I think I've known that park all of my life because I was raised in a house not too far away from where I currently live, and so we would often go there for gungai. So like we never it was.
Speaker 5: Easter Christmas time, after everyone had done their hours and cleaned up, after the food was served, and we would walk over to the park.
Speaker 1: We will play basketball.
Speaker 5: I mean, just the weekend gone, we were at two seven five Kai, which is like a local eatery kind of soul food.
Speaker 1: And it's just been a constant in my life. So That's what I love about home this week.
Speaker 2: Beautiful the part.
Speaker 1: We will have to go to the park, Yeah, one time please.
Speaker 4: I love that it's quite cool at that park because like over summer they do they try to like engagement with it and so like every sing a random day where they have like Bounty Castle, I know the.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, what I love about Home this week. I've recently gained a little.
Speaker 3: Bit of an affliction, I guess you could say for raw fish.
Speaker 2: I'm a big fan of at the moment.
Speaker 3: I've never liked raw fish before, or maybe I've just had bad raw fish, or maybe I've just never really adventured into the world of raw fish.
Speaker 2: But there's just something about raw fish. It's just doing it for me at the moment. I just want it all the time.
Speaker 1: And I don't.
Speaker 2: I'm hooked on raw fish.
Speaker 3: I don't really know where to get it. It just is always there at like family things, where it just will like turn up just when I need it. When I go somewhere, I'm like these raw fish. Thank fuck for raw fish. I love real fish.
Speaker 1: Was there raw fish at your graduation celebration?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But I didn't don't think I would have eaten it. I don't think that was the start of the era.
Speaker 4: Not too long ago.
Speaker 2: It's really recent.
Speaker 3: It's very very very recent, like around the time we got our to tell.
Speaker 2: It might have been.
Speaker 4: Because there was just good food generally because I organizing that.
Speaker 2: Talk about that.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited to talk about to tell. But what do you look about home this week?
Speaker 4: Don't I love so? I love in manga, love it, love it, but like something not MANGI like adjacent to manga Carns. Have you been to Khans restaurant? So, like there are two carns. So we have Can's Buffet. I'm not talking about that one, like that's that's for other people, but for me, it's the Car's restaurant.
Speaker 1: Mixed to the forty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's exactly the one go through the back insurance, you know, and this beautiful tiled restaurant and they just have real beautiful food. They do, like this massive bowl of hammers. I don't honestly get that on its own, with like sex bread and then that's my dinner.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the rice meat them yeah, so good. It's good value for money. Don't even get me started on carns.
Speaker 4: Now, So we tried getting into it. Oh, like my partner and I really got into it like a year maybe year and a half ago, okay, And we tried to go there during Ramadan. Not a good idea. They were booked, like everyone had made bookings to be there.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just it's the one. It's it's my favorite.
Speaker 1: It's Middle Eastern food, beautiful.
Speaker 4: And they've got the spout store area at the back that like has like she shirt yes, yeah yeah, not my thing but other people's thing.
Speaker 1: You know. Absolutely, the music is pumping.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the food is so on, like like wow, I think when you see Carns that touched my heart because it's just so good.
Speaker 1: We should go there, okay.
Speaker 4: I well love and like it's right by my favorite camp, which is because like you know, it's not the Flashes came out, but it always has everything in stock.
Speaker 3: It's literally everything in stock. It's the best came out. It truly is the best cap Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 5: For us, Corns is good because it fills you up, Like you could honestly get a bucket of chicken and chips and you wouldn't feel as satisfied as getting cans for the same price.
Speaker 4: But I think it's rice, Like, it's just it's.
Speaker 2: Just a car.
Speaker 3: So we're going to the one that's not the buffet. We're going to the real restaurant.
Speaker 4: I haven't gone to it myself. I'm not a buffet guy because I'm just fat and we need control. Yeah, so I need something to be like, this is enough done?
Speaker 3: There is your plate. Oh I love it. That's so fun. Okay, let's go to car shut.
Speaker 5: Out three minutes award winning podcast to your eatery.
Speaker 4: So if you would like to sponsor, remember my name is dark like because I'm.
Speaker 2: Actually okay, sorry, I'm going going to change it now.
Speaker 3: I don't like it when I get recognized by like cafe workers, Like it's different. There's a cafe by my work with it every day, Hi, Lissa, Like are you usual? Like I don't mind that because I do go there every day. But if I go somewhere maybe like once a week, like sometimes across the cafe, I like that they don't go, oh what can I like? You know, they don't they don't make an effort to be too familiar. Like I don't think I like being recognized. You like the ymity of it all, especially because I come in all the way to Central Auckland. I don't want them going, oh Son, Like you know, I like when people don't recognize me.
Speaker 4: I used to work as a barrista.
Speaker 2: And would you do the thing when you were like you usual?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, like I was quite happy to pretend that I knew no one perfect and so. But there would be people that really wanted to be regulars.
Speaker 6: Like I wouldn't know about that either.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm just doing this for the money.
Speaker 4: I don't want to be here Auntie's Cafe. She gets me so hard, get away with it way too much.
Speaker 1: But who are you? That's so funny? No sponsorship.
Speaker 2: Let's get into this chat.
Speaker 3: For those of you who don't know, Dorina is like a PREMI Yeah, incredible supple maker, incredible simon creative, like literally revitalizing in this country. Like you probably know his work, but you don't really know him. It's kind of that kind of situation. So Dren, can you tell us how you found yourself in making Seapple, what prompted you to start, and what that journey looks like, because when you've explained it to me before, I'm like, it's a bit too simple, like I feel like you just made it happen. And I'm like, what, like what, I don't know he tells me about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, of course I really stumbled into it. So, I mean maybe five or six years ago now, I was really wanted to do something to be a better Simon.
Speaker 1: I was just trying to find a way.
Speaker 4: To be able to connect to my culture and the actively participate in it. Having to learn the language because I'm real, I'm problematically dyslexic and like abow, yeah, and like it's just far into my till like it's just it's really and I think it's a lot more there's a lot more emotion charged in learning language, and you know, it's really public learning. Get to learning anything else. And so I made a point of trying to find something to be able to engage with my culture, to be able to preserve practice. And a friend suggested to me to be able to learn making tappa and so I mean the word that I use is because it's the salmon manner of making up and taper isn't a real word. Let's have some education is kind of a broad word that's like accepted within European places to mean barck cloth and talk about individual islands. Man, I'm way off topic already. When we talk about individual islands. We each have our own manner or way of creating topper cloth. So I mean within some more we talk about and it refers to how we make it, the process we do, and then the finished product and refers to two pieces of a clock together and painted like actually marked. We have new wehear they have they have tongua, not to hwai. They've got kappa. You know, there's all these different words shared through the Pacific. So anyway, I a friend suggested for me to be able to learn to make I ran into on Facebook Cora Allen. She's as she had her first exhibition, probably wasn't her first exhibition. First exhibition I found and I was a bots and I showed up to it and I was like, hey, do you want to teach me how? That'd be nice? I mean, she kind of gave me a few breadcrumbs. She was just like, oh, well, yeah, you should make your own tools first. It's like okay, And so I went down to Bunnings and I got me some wood and I made some Darren is a handyman.
Speaker 3: Let me just tell you, Darren will put anything together. So I love the fact that you made your own tools, but they're.
Speaker 4: Real crusty eye Like I'm ambitious that I think I can make anything very good. Ambition takes over, so we I these tools, go in contact with core Ellen again, and then she sent me to some more to go meet up with someone. Uh, Lissa, I tell you who taught me how to mix you up all the simone way? And it's just been something I've been doing since.
Speaker 2: Geez it's too easy, right, I feel.
Speaker 5: Like you just did what you were told and.
Speaker 3: The thing yeah, I think also like the fact that you did what you're told, Like we've talked about this before, like core Ellen was like, oh my gosh, like you actually did it.
Speaker 2: Like I feel like some people.
Speaker 3: I could go to Mas and be like, hey, you're an excellent journalist and what should I do?
Speaker 2: And Mas is like, go right, five pieces, and I'd.
Speaker 3: Be like, ah, I can't really, it's like making my own tools. Oh, I haven't really ever picked up a drill. It's probably not going to do that.
Speaker 4: Like these tools were rusty and they still are. Like I'm still trying to make my own tools and everyone else more beautiful. But like, I mean, there are some people who refer to making new tools and they're like, yeah, I use some shark's teeth and I used do you know like these rare hard woods and all the stuff, And I was like, well, I have a circular saw, and I can buy some planks of wood for seven dollars from Bunny and I can try sand and so like they're crusty, but they do their job and you know, yeah, so you just you use what you've got, and that's really what it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had someone holding my hand along the way and I tried my best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really cool.
Speaker 3: One thing I also love about Dorian's like creative process is the painting aspect and the kind of It's something that I'm always trying to like teach kids like creating art or even just drawing a picture.
Speaker 2: It never it doesn't have to be perfect.
Speaker 3: This is something that Darn actually taught me that I'm trying to pass on to the next generation. Yes, it doesn't need to be perfect. There's no such thing as perfect, and the imperfections and a piece of art are actually what makes it like really interesting and like really cool and so like if something's a little bit off, like maybe you had spaced out your pattern a certain way and then you've got a bit over zealous and it's not quite measured up appropriately.
Speaker 2: Who cares?
Speaker 3: Like it actually kind of adds to the character characters, to the character of the piece, And like, I don't know, I just think that's such a cool way to look at creating art, Like it doesn't have to be perfect.
Speaker 2: But would you say you're like an artist? Would you claim that title?
Speaker 4: No, because I think with being an artist you have to it comes with I don't know, like people go to art school, yeah, like you know, like they study, like they got even for four years to become artists, and there's I feel like there's an expectation to do things perfectly when you're an artist. I would call myself a maker nice like the map yeah, and you know yeah, But I mean like in saying that, like I'm applying for like art grants and I'm applying to do like an art exhibition and stuff like that. But here and be like, no, that's not me. I'm a make I'm different.
Speaker 3: But I feel like the two have quite different connotations, right man, Would you agree like your makere is just like constantly not constantly like producing work whers an artists, like that's your job almost.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I also think that as you have room to make mistakes. Yeah, and there's a lot more grace and forgiveness out there with within your practice. Where is that?
Speaker 1: I don't know?
Speaker 4: And they're like, this is this is just me what I perceived, like maybe the artists who have the same sort of attitude towards the word being an artist, but for me, it's it's scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to ask about that trips Samoa.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how was it learning from knowledge holders in the mother lit?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So, I mean they didn't know I was coming, Okay, right, the.
Speaker 2: Thing is just to rock up and hope they're home, isn't that?
Speaker 1: That was it?
Speaker 4: That's exactly what I did. So, I mean I booked a flight. It was on special four hundred dollars return, okay, and then you know went from you caught the theory over so.
Speaker 1: This was that Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I didn't even have like I don't have family there, and so they're like, caught a taxi to the lady's house and then just rocked up. I was like, Hi, I'm Dorian, I want to learn how to do this, and then we sat down and started making straight away. There was no hesitation.
Speaker 3: Crazy like when you say it was it was too easy.
Speaker 4: I just fell into my lep.
Speaker 3: But I think also like our knowledge holders know who they want to pass the knowledge on. I since that maybe for saw something in you and was like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: That's the one period.
Speaker 4: I went back to see if another time and I took a friend with me, and halfway through the process, she was like, she's not a top maker, she's.
Speaker 1: Weak society exercising discernments.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, I think that a very generous word.
Speaker 3: What is it like revitalizing? What does Corey Allen say about you? Darn but you wouldn't say about yourself.
Speaker 2: You're like something.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't even say we're revitalizing because I think I think at a few years ago, we would have been at a phase where was a really endangered practice. It was it was sleeping. But I mean last year alone with the workshops I taught, around about five hundred people attended the workshops. See and from these workshops onwards more people. I would say, it's revitalized, it's alive. It's living now because from there there are so many people who have their own independent practice. They're making their own tools, making their own pieces, they're introducing it to their families, and it's become such a normal way of life now that I think we're beyond revitalizing. You know, it's not dead, it's not sleeping, and it's taking on a new journey.
Speaker 2: That's so special.
Speaker 3: But also I feel like more than that, darn like you, I mean even just me, obviously I'm your fucking biggest fan, but like you have helped me tap into a creative side of myself. I didn't really know that I had or because obviously big nerd big in the books, reading writing one hundred percent. But you've helped me really understand like my writing is a really creative process and just helped me become a more creative person in general, and like not thinking so like black and white and linear about things.
Speaker 2: And I think that's really special.
Speaker 3: Like the se Upper workshops do more than just help with culture, Like you're helping with that self confidence.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the thing for me is with the So the workshops originally happened for the MVP. The frame of pacifica community. So we're we were really focused on bringing the queer Pacific community together to be able to create tangible culture.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 4: Ohangible culture, No, that's the wrong tangible community.
Speaker 2: So that weird and material culture.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and material culture and so like, while the goal behind it was to be able to help people learn how to mix you up, but it's also just connecting people together. And yeah, I love it. I love it, love it, And like I feel like you're like crediting me for a lot more than I'm actually deserving of. I was just there, like I just got some funding and had a workshop and made some friends. How nice is that?
Speaker 1: I think Darren, when applying for funding next time, should actually use excerpt. Yeah you were saying, yeah, yeah, because this is what people believe.
Speaker 5: I've seen videos of you and your workshops, and there's like such a care and kindness that you applied to teaching people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't really hold that caring kindness outside.
Speaker 1: Kidding.
Speaker 2: Darn is the most caring kind person I know for real.
Speaker 4: I'm just interested, Like my partner's going to listen to this and be like, man, you're gonna have the biggest here.
Speaker 3: Shut up, Okay, darn's pardon. John is like my big brother. We also look a little bit stilus. We do look like we could pass some see Yeah, yeah yeah, so Hidrader.
Speaker 4: Hijohn, Oh my love, how are you.
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: All these nice things that have been said about me? And then you should repeat them?
Speaker 1: Remember this?
Speaker 2: So tell us what I getting card?
Speaker 1: How did How was the process?
Speaker 2: This is something you wanted to for like six years or something?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, like it's been I was talking to my niece Kazaiah, like from a time she's like fifteen sixteen, We've been having this conversation about me wanting to receive my model fear and who wanted to receive her model And a couple of years ago we started talking to Lawrence No, not a couple of years ago, maybe a year ago. We started talking to Lawrence Ching, who has been so wonderful and again held our hand through the whole process. So we haven't really had to like fight for space or fight to know what's going on because he's been really a help he can and guiding us through that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One thing I loved about Alcoholonel Lawrence was that he was like, if we had any questions, he was really receptive and it never made us feel.
Speaker 2: Dumb, dumb or inferior.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for asking like even small questions about like our salmonga. He was really open to answering questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I really appreciated that about that journey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so that was like that was a really wonderful part. But like to be honest, like the journey is like a wonderful and horrible experience. And I talk about this in a way as if I'm probably the only one that's ever received my mamal fear. I don't want that, so I come across.
Speaker 2: It doesn't come across.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, like leading up to revealing my Mamo fear, I spoke to my uncle Greg Simmul, who received his Mama fear about thirty years ago, and he was the last person in our family to have received revealed it. But like I'm a real bots and so when I was messaging him, I was like, you know, how was it? How was the experience that he said, you know, it's the hardest experience of my life. I thought that it was going to take two weeks and it ended up taking three months to be able to happen. And that was like the most immense pain in his life. And you know, while it changed the trajectory of his career and his life choices, he would never recommend anyone to do it.
Speaker 1: Oh and then me being a.
Speaker 4: Box I was like, I've had tattoo before. I know different. I'm better, he's weak.
Speaker 1: It was a different time, that was thirty years ago.
Speaker 4: I'm different, and so when we've come to like, so I went into this process quite naive, quite dumb, and so I took a book with me. I lay down on the fulla like really received the first tap. After the first tap, that book closed, Like that book closed and never opened again. Like I was in so much pain. I was like, even though I didn't tell my uncle Heal's week, I need to apologize to it everyone in my head who I've ever felt superior to. But I was humbled so quickly.
Speaker 5: Pretty after the first tap, girl closed. Why did I even bring this book?
Speaker 1: It away from me?
Speaker 4: And like I was just screaming in my head the whole time.
Speaker 1: I was like.
Speaker 3: When I so I came on the first day to watch dor and go under the l and when I came, he was like moaning and I just like.
Speaker 2: Walked in and was like, oh, cool, So I'm never coming back again. I'm not coming back inside have to receive mine.
Speaker 4: But the first day is the worst day.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: It was horrible because I had no idea what was going to go through. It was two hours and like just like I've got a big back, come fat, Like we've already talked about how much I love can so much canvas to cover, and I just kept going and there was so much to black out and it's like and I remember saying alerts. I was like, hey, can we take a break, and He's like.
Speaker 2: No, literally the okay.
Speaker 3: So for the first two minutes of mine, oh, in cases wasn't clear.
Speaker 2: Darrin was like my sore So after you no, no, no, no, he was before me.
Speaker 1: Were the boys first first, and then it was because.
Speaker 4: I on someone independents day, I was everyone to know into the numbers that day when.
Speaker 2: I started receiving mine, I got ten minutes and I was like, hey, can you ask for a break break?
Speaker 3: And then I just had to pretend like I was having a coffee fit or something, just so they would take that off just like five seconds, just because I needed to breathe and just readjust to the sensation and then I could go, but something crazy.
Speaker 2: Happened with I received.
Speaker 3: I fainted Darren's kitchen, but thank fuck Darren was a nurse because he managed to revive.
Speaker 2: Me, but he also slipped next to me on.
Speaker 3: My fella because he was I think everyone was worried that I was gonna, I don't know, die or something, so.
Speaker 1: No one, you're going to die. She wasn't going to happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you didn't.
Speaker 3: Know because our stringers were saying to my mom, like, you know, people can die from receiving the model, and my mom was like, literally, shut the fuck.
Speaker 4: Up, like those two boys in shout out to those guys like that they're super wonderful, but also at the same time, can you shut up?
Speaker 3: No one asks what else about that experience, like because don't ask me if I wanted to join the group at Picture's Hot Chicken, and I was like, I don't know, I'm not sure if this is for me. And then I went home and talked to my dad and I was like, this is it, Like who were the people that you were talking to and your journey that like really, I don't I don't want to say like validated you receiving it? But I guess validated or like confirmed that yeah, you're on the right path.
Speaker 4: So I mean, like start off just having the conversations with my niece because that was really important because yeah, she's amazing. We want to speak each other sort and to be able to go on this journey together. I also had conversations with my dad. My dad, my family go to the church US Christ Leveday Saints, so the super Mormon, and like you know, they love it and and something with the Mormon culture is that we don't receive the toll. And so my dad actually told me when I when I told him what my plans were, that he had actually wanted to get his mother fear when he was younger, but didn't because my mom said, if you get that done, oh divorceshoe maybe in like a lighthearted and so you know, it was just never an option for my dad to get done. And so you know, he gave me his blessing, and you know, it was just nice to be able to fulfill them dream for my dad as well, and also like it was my dream, it was a shared dream and a shared ambition. I also spoke to like a wider community as well, So like I was you know how same before that I didn't want to learn how speak salmon, and so I learned. Yeah. I then like the thing with it is that everything that I do within our culture just kind of like points me back. You need to learn some more now, and so, you know, I spoke to my teachers that I had when I went to my t more course, and you know, they were really encouraging. And it's just been I think, I feel really lucky that I've had nothing but love from the community and how good people have been very supportive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Instagram shares girl then were going up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's just been it's just been really nice and so and also like having conversations with a partner about it and yeah, my wider family. Yeah yeah, but I was pretty set on getting it done, no matter what, no matter what, no matter what.
Speaker 3: So one thing I love about Dorian This is gonna sound quite backhanded, I think, but I really do mean it. You just don't really care what anyone thinks. Well, like you do, but you're just like really you're like when you have your mind made up on something, you're just so ambitious and you're set that it doesn't really matter what anyone could say. And that's something that I really I don't know. I aspire to have their energy.
Speaker 4: I like to think that I portray that. It's so not true.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like not really true.
Speaker 4: But you know, it also did matter what people had to say, because you know, when we started talking to Lawrence and about receiving a model fear and he was like, well, you need to make sure you got your family's blessing.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, chosen family, do you know.
Speaker 4: So that was a really important part of the process that we had family support. But you know, my dad was on board so much and that's okay. But my dad was like, yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like appear until blessing is pretty kind of like it's like tenfold, what cousin.
Speaker 1: How do you feel now to be a sonight e meat? Now? Then that's complete?
Speaker 4: I love it so like a real big thing for me has always been that I want to be recognized as s'mone. No one really looked at me with us like ambiguously brown. Again. You know, these like such girls and you know, you don't know looking at these and you're like, man, Thomas, I'm right there, and so like, you know, represent my hat, but I've always wanted to be recognized as Simon and so it was actually the day after I received my mother for year, I took my car and to get its warrant and there was an old guy like across the road, and it was like he just really encouraged me, and like he lifted up his ship and you know, it's just such encouragement. So like it's just so amazing to be receiving that love from the community and to be recognized as Simon for the first time.
Speaker 3: Let's get into this s rapid fire, CAMU. It's a very chill one today, though we may get a little.
Speaker 2: Bit deep, get deep with the storm.
Speaker 3: As you know, we're both I should say kids in our twenties, but we're not really kids. Were like young adults and you are not in your twenties.
Speaker 2: Do you want to say how old you are?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, I'm I know I'm proud of my age or not. When I turned thirty, men, life got good. Oh I love said when I turned thirty, And I don't think it's because of my age, but like life, ship was just so much better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, can't wait, Yeah, can't I for that? And I also feel like you give just like such great advice, and you've also lived like ten thousand lives, which I love hearing about. I feel like every time we hang out, even though we're like besties, the new.
Speaker 2: Dar in law, like everywhere, I love it.
Speaker 3: So what we want to do for our game today is maybe like your top three tips for people in their twenties, maybe like what you wish you had known, or like what you would have done differently, or just like advice in general.
Speaker 4: I think like one thing is that friendships don't need to be forever. Relationships change and so like because like let's talk about someone language, let me get guys. So like when we talk about like the like when we say you know my something, like when we say like yeah, so say we say little like my family. We say it with because it means like they're my family forever. I'm attaching them. But when we talk about friends, like we say like like you know, we say like my friend, and it's in a way that's not They're possessive, but not in a forever way. So I would say little funny it this is my house because I belong to it forever. Yeah, it's my car. I might sell it in the future, and I think that's just really important to know that some relationships don't last fear and that's okay, yeah yeah, move on.
Speaker 2: Oh that felt very pointed.
Speaker 1: I like it here, that's a good learning number two.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think be okay with humble pie, Like I have to eat it so often, like just like if you get humbled, just take it, move on.
Speaker 1: I'm still trying to learn that.
Speaker 4: Time like regularly by John O. I love you like to like point out flaws, but I.
Speaker 3: Think being humbled is like so important. It helps us be more self aware. And also I feel like helps you discern between when someone's genuinely looking out for you and like wanting to humble you in like a gentle way versus when someone's just being an asshole and what's to we mean to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's a difference.
Speaker 4: And I think my last bit of advice would be for everyone, but especially Molin passifica community. If you have ambitions to study, go study, do it straight away, and then within that apply for a scholarship. Don't apply for everything everyone, So you're going to play within health spaces. Look on the India, look on the ministry, of health, look at your university, look at NGO's everyone. One of like, one of my biggest co puppet is that it's my dream for other people to pay for my dreams. Yes, so like, and it's also my dream for other people to pay for your dreams. So that if you have the ability to come out of UNI debt free and just have a B plus average, absolutely go for it. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was on a scholarship. Made a world of difference. Don't have a student loan.
Speaker 4: Lucky I didn't get a scholarship the whole time. Oh yeah, but like I like through my whole master's side, scholarships that paid through for that, but not my bachelors. But I mean even if I mean I should be giving out financial advice. But if it's if that's what's holding you back from studying, yeah, don't let it.
Speaker 1: No, yes, absolutely, And.
Speaker 4: Study doesn't need to be unique. It can be a trade, it can be like yeah, it can be.
Speaker 1: Whatever could be learning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, get that higher education. It's better for us as a community.
Speaker 1: Ground of applause. It's a turn. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That is so good.
Speaker 3: That brings us to the end of our Selena John for joining us thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Where can we find you on social media?
Speaker 4: So it's a really dumb useing it, No it's not.
Speaker 1: It's great use the name is so.
Speaker 2: What is your name?
Speaker 4: Is his Instagram? Yeah, I'm all just searching Dorin Simo because I'm the only one. So there's no one else coming out with this name.
Speaker 2: Number one, the only one, the only one here.
Speaker 1: We'll talk it a little bit of everything, Darren, Thank you so much for coming on. And that is Alan roots Aukland. Ways, thank you again to darn Simo and we will be back next week.
Speaker 2: We shall be back next week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. That's it, boy,